Author Topic: Pre-Playoff NBA Talk  (Read 12937 times)

Description:

Offline Cheech Tremendous

• Smokin' butts with my girl
Pre-Playoff NBA Talk
« on: April 03, 2009, 08:46:38 AM »
Can Cleveland go 40-1 at home.  That would match the 85-86 Celtic team.

Oh, and Cleveland's winning the title this year, right? 

Offline MFer

• The Future Has Arrived
  • Admin
Pre-Playoff NBA Talk
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 12:46:58 PM »
I sure hope not. Glad to see them showing their human side tonight (and a couple nights ago against Washington), cuz they were playing scary good before that.

Oh, and A.I.'s done for the rest of the season (including playoffs) with a "sore back". Translation: "If you're not gonna be a team player, we're shutting you down. Besides, we were playing better without you and your contract expires anyways."

Matt Young

Pre-Playoff NBA Talk
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 08:57:59 PM »

Not if they play like they did earlier.

Offline THE TUGSTER

• Alfdogg
Pre-Playoff NBA Talk
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2009, 03:24:33 AM »
Today's games

Toronto @ New York, 1:00
New Jersey @ Chicago, 2:00
Detroit @ Philadelphia, 3:00 ESPN
Orlando @ Atlanta, 7:00
Miami @ Washington, 7:00 NBATV
Memphis @ Milwaukee, 8:30
LA Clippers @ Denver, 9:00
@alfdogg765 on Twitter FOLLOW ME

Offline O.G.

• Slicka than ya average...
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
Pre-Playoff NBA Talk
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2009, 03:47:28 AM »
Can I just say: Fuck the Raptors and playing themselves out of Blake Griffin contention. Fucking genius time to start giving a shit.

Offline Vitamin X

Pre-Playoff NBA Talk
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2009, 05:45:32 AM »

Cleveland may not even make it out of the East this year. I have a feeling that Boston or even Orlando or Miami could knock them off. Even with their homecourt advantage.

I'm thinking- and hoping- that the playoffs aren't just going to be "Only 4 teams mean shit in this thing, everyone else will get dispatched in the first round" like in recent years.

Offline Kinetic

• Kinetic
Pre-Playoff NBA Talk
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2009, 05:54:22 AM »
I'm thinking- and hoping- that the playoffs aren't just going to be "Only 4 teams mean shit in this thing, everyone else will get dispatched in the first round" like in recent years.

You have my personal guarantee that eight teams will in fact be dispatched in the first round this year.  The exciting part is that I have a pretty good feeling that an additional eight will advance to the next round.

Offline Vitamin X

Pre-Playoff NBA Talk
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2009, 06:49:29 AM »
I should have added "with ease" after dispatched there, but yeah. I don't want this to just come down to Lakers-Cavs-Celtics-Magic.

Offline O.G.

• THUGBUTT CHEATERS
Pre-Playoff NBA Talk
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2009, 07:57:33 AM »
6 in a row. If this winning streak started 2 weeks earlier, the Raps may still have playoff hopes but alas...

Offline Psycho Penguin

• Mitch Richmond > Michael Jordan
    • Twitter
Pre-Playoff NBA Talk
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2009, 08:04:12 AM »
Why did Toronto suck so bad this year anyways? Their roster seems to be decent enough to at least have a shot at the playoffs right now.

Offline Kinetic

• Kinetic
Pre-Playoff NBA Talk
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2009, 08:16:07 AM »
Any chance that a team other than L.A. wins the West?  Even as a Spurs fan, I'm not feeling their chances.  I can't imagine Denver, Houston, or Utah being able to hang with them through seven games.  Seems like the Eastern conference playoffs will be a lot more interesting this year.

Offline Psycho Penguin

• Mitch Richmond > Michael Jordan
    • Twitter
Pre-Playoff NBA Talk
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2009, 08:18:24 AM »
New Orleans is kind of a sleeper in the West. I think they are the only team that can beat LA in a 7-game series.

Offline #sorrynotsorry

• still fly
  • #bae
Pre-Playoff NBA Talk
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2009, 08:34:31 AM »
Portland, I believe, is capable of beating the Lakers in a 7 game series. Only because they are young and dumb enough(no offense intended) to believe they could do it. The Lakers always have problems with long, athletic teams and Portland has those qualities.

New Orleans is overmatched playing the Lakers, but I think they could push a series 7 games.

Offline zio

• Bleed Philly
Pre-Playoff NBA Talk
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2009, 08:46:18 AM »
Sixers clinch a playoff spot with a win over Detroit.  Flyers have the chance to do the same tonight with a win against Ottawa.

Offline O.G.

• THUGBUTT CHEATERS
Pre-Playoff NBA Talk
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2009, 08:55:30 AM »
Why did Toronto suck so bad this year anyways? Their roster seems to be decent enough to at least have a shot at the playoffs right now.
Take your pick:

- The players tuning Mitchell out and taking a while to adjust to Triano.
- Calderon being on and off the injury list all year.
- O'Neal half-assing it.
- Seemingly giving up in February before something lit a fire under their asses lately.

Basically, lots of things.

Pre-Playoff NBA Talk
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2009, 09:07:06 AM »
The Lakers won't even win a playoff game this year.  Don't believe me?  Go to TSM and ask for a guy named Karc.

Online Firmino of the 909

• Admin
Pre-Playoff NBA Talk
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2009, 09:14:01 AM »
Lakers without Bynum have a really hard time against Portland.  Not having Bynum has overextended their bench.  But with him?  The only western team that can take them to a long series is Portland but I don't think they could pull it off.  New Orleans, as mentioned, is horrendously overmatched.

koab [8:27 PM]
damn i thought you guys were good little cucks who would shit themselfs so a POC could peacefully protest

Offline Vitamin X

Pre-Playoff NBA Talk
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2009, 10:10:00 AM »
Portland's won their last 4 games by 20+ points or more. They absolutely crushed the Thunder last night. I think this is a team that's really gelling and getting together at just the right time, and seeing as how they've beaten the Spurs, L*kers, Suns, and Jazz in recent weeks by 20+ points, I don't see- and I'm trying to keep my homerism in check here- how anyone can't say they're not a threat to anyone in the West. Batum has been probably the best defender on the team and he's only getting better and better- he's usually the guy who's assigned to the other teams' top scorer. They've found a perfect mix at the center spot with Oden coming off the bench and Pryzbilla being a mean motherfucker as the starter. This is great considering that Oden is still just getting the hang of not fouling the shit out of people when he comes into a game.

The biggest reason why they're doing so well lately is because of LaMarcus Aldridge. If the dude had been playing like this all season, he would've easily gotten into the All-Star game, I think. He's gotten a certain ferocity in him lately I haven't seen his entire career, and it's definitely rubbing off on the other young guys like Oden. Rudy Fernandez has finally gotten over the Ariza shot (his shot was waaay off for the first couple weeks or so that he was back) and is playing well, and even fucking Sergio Rodriguez looks like he knows what he wants to do with the ball now.

I don't believe very much in New Orleans, but I think people are way underrating Houston, last night's game be damned. The Mavericks have been a thorn in Portland's side all year (0-3), so I'm really hoping we don't have to play them.

Offline #sorrynotsorry

• still fly
  • #bae
Pre-Playoff NBA Talk
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2009, 10:41:18 AM »
Yeah, Portland reminds of the pre-Phil Jackson Lakers in the late 90's. Young, dangerous and coming around at the right time. They may be short on playoff experience, but they could knock off an unsuspecting division champ. I just hope Dallas keeps losing, and Portland stays in the 6 or 7 seed.

Matt Young

Pre-Playoff NBA Talk
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2009, 10:44:51 AM »
Lakers without Bynum have a really hard time against Portland.  Not having Bynum has overextended their bench.  But with him?  The only western team that can take them to a long series is Portland but I don't think they could pull it off.  New Orleans, as mentioned, is horrendously overmatched.

I don't know what happened with New Orleans?  Did they just overachieve last year?  I know Chandler was injured for a while, but they seem to have fallen off quite a bit.  I have only seen them play a few times, but of course I follow the league as whole.  

It just seems like they should be better than they are.  I'm sure the whole attempted trade of Tyson Chandler didn't help team chemistry much.  I also remember hearing talk about the players not having faith in their coach earlier on in the season.

The Spurs and Nuggets seem like the only other legitimate contenders.  The Spurs may be old, but they continue to hang around near the top of the conference.  The Nuggets have surprised everyone with how successful they've been since the trade for Billups, and Billups does have plenty of playoff experience and a Finals MVP under his belt.  

I don't expect anyone to beat the Lakers in the Western Conference playoffs, but San Anton' or Denver will push them if/when they match up.

Online Firmino of the 909

• Admin
Pre-Playoff NBA Talk
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2009, 10:50:59 AM »
I suppose not having Jannero Pargo can really hurt a team.  They aren't worse than last season, it's that most teams in the conference have improved.  Also, Chandler really hasn't played great all season.

koab [8:27 PM]
damn i thought you guys were good little cucks who would shit themselfs so a POC could peacefully protest

Offline #sorrynotsorry

• still fly
  • #bae
Pre-Playoff NBA Talk
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2009, 10:54:53 AM »
Not to peg Chandler or anything, but the only thing the dude is/was good at is dunking lobs from Chris Paul. That and Peja Stojakovic (sp) has been DREADFUL this season shooting 38 percent from 3, down from 44 percent from last year.

Offline Rendclaw

• Frankly my dear... eh, you know the rest.
Pre-Playoff NBA Talk
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2009, 10:59:18 AM »
All of the teams in the top spots in the West (excepting the Lakers, who seem to be under the "turning it on and off" moniker again this year) are not really going to change their positions very much (no matter how close they might be in the standings), and towards the end start resting their best players to freshen them up for the playoffs. That's why you are seeing teams who are still trying like the Blazers blow them out.... as far as the Lakers are concerned, I think that they as a team expect teams to roll over and die after getting down by 15-25 points. They downshift and expect the opposition to break down by the side of the road, and thats not happening, and it shouldn't.

Combine that with the fact in reality excepting three, four or five guys, the Lakers are a very young team. Bynum, Farmarr, Vujacic, Powell (I think), these guys are young, in the spotlight, and they are acting at times like young punks who think the other team should give up before they roll the balls out.

I agree with the opinions about Portland. They are young enough and talented enough to make a run. The only thing is can they stay focused enough to do it? They can for certain give the Lakers all they can handle, but we shall see how it plays out.

And yes, as soon as I saw that report on Iverson, I laughed. His back is fine, its his head that got him shut down. Iverson thinks he can still do what he could do back in 1998, which he can't. He has taken a terrific beating over the years, and his body doesn;t respond like it used to. Combine that with the fact that (like Shaq, but thats another rant for another time) he still thinks he is a superstar. He is just a star now and barely even that. He can't take over games like he used to, and he is too used to getting his own way throughout his career. I wouldn;t be surprised if no one picked him up in 2009-10.

Matt Young

Pre-Playoff NBA Talk
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2009, 11:14:40 AM »
Iverson will bitch no matter what.  Not on a contender?  Trade please.  Can't be the star of the team?  Waaah, trade.  I'm trying to think of a team that he could play for, get the minutes and shots he's looking for, and still be in contention.  I can't think of any.

Offline Wildfool

• New Poster Who Should Be Posting
Pre-Playoff NBA Talk
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2009, 12:52:55 PM »
Detroit has been slowly imploding for years ever since their finals loss to the Spurs. It's probably been said on here or at the old TSM but the final nail in the coffin came with the Billups trade. Iverson should just retire and get it over with.

naiwf

Pre-Playoff NBA Talk
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2009, 02:54:16 PM »
I know it's probably my anti-LeBron bias talking, but why is he getting credit for making the team so much better when Mo Williams reducing the load on him has been largely responsible for their leap forward this season? I just think it's a little weird that some members of the media and most fans seem to put all of the credit for the improvement almost entirely on LeBron.

Offline Rendclaw

• Frankly my dear... eh, you know the rest.
Pre-Playoff NBA Talk
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2009, 03:43:44 PM »
Because they are looking at Mo Williams as the Pippen to LeBron's Jordan. Mo gets quite a bit of credit, and the players around LeBron are slowly getting better. I can;t see Ilgauskas playing no more than two or three more years. Delonte West was a huge pickup as well, so now the guard spots are taken care of, and LeBron can play the small forward.

naiwf

Pre-Playoff NBA Talk
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2009, 04:36:10 PM »
I guess I just think that Wade should probably win the MVP simply because he's the only reason Miami isn't as horrendous as they were last year and their 25+ game improvement is pretty much all on him. The Cavs' big jump forward has as much to do with Mo as it does LeBron, if not more so, and that's why I'd probably put him in the # 2 spot for the MVP ahead of Kobe. I don't think it matters, but it would be nice to have some consistency with the winners from year to year.

Offline THE TUGSTER

• Alfdogg
Pre-Playoff NBA Talk
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2009, 05:58:08 PM »
There has been consistency in that they're giving it to players on the best teams, and not just handing it to players who stuff monster stats on dogshit teams, like Wade is doing.  Miami is only 5 games above .500.  I think it's BS that Wade gets touted even ahead of Kobe as an MVP candidate, and no one even MENTIONS Dwight Howard in the race.

As far as the West race goes, I still think if Bynum can get all the way back to form, the title is the Lakers' to lose.  I think San Antonio is clearly the team with the best shot of knocking them off in the West, as they look like they're starting to get healthy again just in time.

Denver - Billups has been a big addition, no doubt, but I've seen no progress in the way of emotional maturity, and I think that could be their undoing in the playoffs.

Portland - I think if they end up getting HCA, they could push out of the first round, but it's probably wishful thinking to picture them beyond that point, unless something crazy happens like the Lakers getting upset (and hey, it could happen, just ask Karc!)

Houston - Sorry, I just can't take a team with Von Wafer in its rotation seriously.  That guy makes Jarrett Jack look like Isiah Thomas.  Probably one-and-done again, unless they can move back into the 2 spot somehow.  And hope Utah doesn't stay in the 7 spot.

New Orleans - Had them in the finals in the preseason.  I thought the signing of Posey would be the answer to their depth problems, but clearly it hasn't.  From their current spot, I have a tough time seeing them advance.

Utah - Tough luck this year with injuries.  This would probably be the team I'd pick to score a first-round upset, as they've shown the last couple years that they can win on the road when they need to in the postseason.

Dallas - 0-3 against the Lakers, probably 0-7 if they can't move into that 7 spot.

Offline THE TUGSTER

• Alfdogg
Pre-Playoff NBA Talk
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2009, 09:44:57 PM »
Sunday's games

San Antonio @ Cleveland, 1:00 ABC
Phoenix @ Dallas, 3:30 ABC
Charlotte @ Detroit, 6:00
New York @ Toronto, 6:00
Portland @ Houston, 7:00 NBATV
Denver @ Minnesota, 7:00
Utah @ New Orleans, 7:00
Indiana @ Oklahoma City, 7:00
Philadelphia @ New Jersey, 7:30
Golden State @ Sacramento, 9:00
LA Clippers @ LA Lakers, 9:30

Offline IllustriousOne

• Unadulterated brilliance.
Pre-Playoff NBA Talk
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2009, 01:15:33 AM »
Well, hopefully Cleveland can get back on track today against San Antonio. 

I certainly do not want to see them take another loss in a row, especially with the Lakers right on their heels for HCA/best record (which Cleveland will absolutely need to win a championship.)

Online Cool, Bad, & Handsome

• KOAB
Pre-Playoff NBA Talk
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2009, 04:23:24 AM »
no one even MENTIONS Dwight Howard in the race.

Yes and it's just not right. Howard would be my choice for MVP this year.

Online Brooklyn Zoo

• BZ
  • BZ
Pre-Playoff NBA Talk
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2009, 04:31:17 AM »
How about Chris Paul for MVP? Tyson Chandler has missed half the year, and David West is pretty good, but he gets most of his shots out of Chris Paul pick and rolls. Then after that the team is pretty weak. Paul is averaging 22, 11, 5, nearly 3 steals, 50 percent shooting, and 87 from the line? I think he's even more underrated than Dwight Howard who played with two more all-stars.

naiwf

Pre-Playoff NBA Talk
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2009, 04:38:02 AM »
There has been consistency in that they're giving it to players on the best teams, and not just handing it to players who stuff monster stats on dogshit teams, like Wade is doing.  Miami is only 5 games above .500.  I think it's BS that Wade gets touted even ahead of Kobe as an MVP candidate, and no one even MENTIONS Dwight Howard in the race.

As far as the West race goes, I still think if Bynum can get all the way back to form, the title is the Lakers' to lose.  I think San Antonio is clearly the team with the best shot of knocking them off in the West, as they look like they're starting to get healthy again just in time.

Denver - Billups has been a big addition, no doubt, but I've seen no progress in the way of emotional maturity, and I think that could be their undoing in the playoffs.

Portland - I think if they end up getting HCA, they could push out of the first round, but it's probably wishful thinking to picture them beyond that point, unless something crazy happens like the Lakers getting upset (and hey, it could happen, just ask Karc!)

Houston - Sorry, I just can't take a team with Von Wafer in its rotation seriously.  That guy makes Jarrett Jack look like Isiah Thomas.  Probably one-and-done again, unless they can move back into the 2 spot somehow.  And hope Utah doesn't stay in the 7 spot.

New Orleans - Had them in the finals in the preseason.  I thought the signing of Posey would be the answer to their depth problems, but clearly it hasn't.  From their current spot, I have a tough time seeing them advance.

Utah - Tough luck this year with injuries.  This would probably be the team I'd pick to score a first-round upset, as they've shown the last couple years that they can win on the road when they need to in the postseason.

Dallas - 0-3 against the Lakers, probably 0-7 if they can't move into that 7 spot.

Miami is +25 in wins this year. That's why Wade is in the hunt for MVP. Howard isn't flashy which is why he gets no publicity. If Orlando finishes in 2nd in the East he should finish in the top 3 in voting, but probably will end up way behind LeBron, Kobe, Wade and CP3.

Online Brooklyn Zoo

• BZ
  • BZ
Pre-Playoff NBA Talk
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2009, 04:39:58 AM »
The +25 thing shouldn't make a difference in this case since he was on the team last year. So he should be the MVP because he was a lazy fuck last year? It's not like they added Wilt Chamberlain. It's basically the same team.

naiwf

Pre-Playoff NBA Talk
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2009, 04:45:17 AM »
The +25 thing shouldn't make a difference in this case since he was on the team last year. So he should be the MVP because he was a lazy fuck last year? It's not like they added Wilt Chamberlain. It's basically the same team.

He's healthy this season. He was fat and hurt last season. His "value" to the team is about 25 more wins then last year. If Wade shouldn't get credit for improving the team by himself, then Mo Williams should be the MVP since he took Cleveland from a 47 win team to an elite team who should be in the NBA Finals.

Online Brooklyn Zoo

• BZ
  • BZ
Pre-Playoff NBA Talk
« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2009, 04:48:34 AM »
Yes but if you take LeBron out, they aren't winning 20 games. With Wade, the Heat didn't even make the playoffs last year. Dwyane Wade isn't that good to make the leap to MVP. He's no more valuable than someone like Joe Johnson.

Offline Amy pats fan

• P dot Roy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • hashtag trashbag
Pre-Playoff NBA Talk
« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2009, 05:28:17 AM »
I'm sorry, but anyone who tries to argue against the MVP qualities of LeBron James and touts MO WILLIAMS over him in the process is just being contrarian or stupid or both.

Look at his stat line, LOOK AT THE GAMES, he's CLEARLY better than everyone else

On that note, he's having a great game today against San Antonio.  This is my likely finals prediction, pending the status of shape Andrew Bynum is in

Offline Amy pats fan

• P dot Roy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • hashtag trashbag
Pre-Playoff NBA Talk
« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2009, 05:29:51 AM »
Mo Williams is lighting it up here in the third quarter

Still RIDICULOUS to put him in the same category of LeBron.  Half his open looks come directly from LeBron.

naiwf

Pre-Playoff NBA Talk
« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2009, 05:38:45 AM »
Yes but if you take LeBron out, they aren't winning 20 games. With Wade, the Heat didn't even make the playoffs last year. Dwyane Wade isn't that good to make the leap to MVP. He's no more valuable than someone like Joe Johnson.

I'm not saying LeBron isn't great. I'm saying that adding Mo Williams took them from above average to elite. Wade not being a fat shell of himself took Miami from being the drizzles of the league to a 4/5 seed who won at least 25 more games than the previous year. If MVP means the best player on the best team, then that's fine. If it means it's the guy who helped his team improve the most from one year to the next, then that's fine as well. It just shouldn't mean one thing one year, and another the next. That's my only complaint.

Offline Amy pats fan

• P dot Roy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • hashtag trashbag
Pre-Playoff NBA Talk
« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2009, 05:49:58 AM »
It's a combination of the two and the criteria is highly subjective.  It's pretty clearly not an award that should go to Mo Williams though.

Offline Kinetic

• Kinetic
Pre-Playoff NBA Talk
« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2009, 06:47:55 AM »
A real sterling effort from San Antonio this afternoon, huh?  I'm just not feeling this team at all right now.  Of the three guys that they absolutely need to play well to have any chance, only Parker is doing anything right now.  I wouldn't be at all surprised to see them get bumped out in the first round.

Offline MFer

• The Future Has Arrived
  • Admin
Pre-Playoff NBA Talk
« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2009, 07:46:12 AM »
Josh Howard just hit a 3/4 court shot at the end of the half to give Kidd (who inbounded the ball) the assist that put him ahead of Magic for 3rd on the all-time list. He's only a couple hundred behind Mark Jackson for 2nd.

Offline #sorrynotsorry

• still fly
  • #bae
Pre-Playoff NBA Talk
« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2009, 09:07:43 AM »
Welp, in a game the Suns had to have, they got whooped by the Mavericks, giving up 140 points. Mathematically they are still alive, but it looks like they have given up on the season. it's going to be a long summer in Phoenix.

Offline CanadianChris

• Retired.
Pre-Playoff NBA Talk
« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2009, 11:14:15 AM »
Manu is officially out for the season.  In a related development, Finals tickets have just gone on sale at Staples Center.

Offline Vitamin X

Pre-Playoff NBA Talk
« Reply #45 on: April 06, 2009, 11:28:01 AM »
Manu wasn't having a very good season anyways. Tony Parker's been driving that team for a while now, but that will obviously be a blow to San Antonio.

naiwf

Pre-Playoff NBA Talk
« Reply #46 on: April 06, 2009, 11:38:05 AM »
They might not have won the title with him, but now I don't see them even winning a series without Manu.

Pre-Playoff NBA Talk
« Reply #47 on: April 06, 2009, 01:09:43 PM »
Well, there goes San Antonio's chances of beating LA.  Can we just go ahead and cancel the Western Conference playoffs please?  I don't feel like sitting through two months of games to see the Lakers waltz to the Finals.

Online Cool, Bad, & Handsome

• KOAB
Pre-Playoff NBA Talk
« Reply #48 on: April 07, 2009, 08:30:40 AM »
Eh, there's still the Nuggets.

Offline #sorrynotsorry

• still fly
  • #bae
Pre-Playoff NBA Talk
« Reply #49 on: April 07, 2009, 08:31:45 AM »
Well if you talk to Karc, there is no way the Lakers win a game in the playoffs, so I'm pretty sure it'll be safe to watch after that.