Author Topic: Sports Broadcasting/Anchors/Media Thread  (Read 21577 times)

Description:

Offline pujoljunkie

• Old Navy / Diet Snapple Publishing Group
  • CXF Writer
  • PujolJunkie
Sports Media Thread
« Reply #50 on: October 24, 2009, 03:18:02 PM »
You know, he only gave up Kevin Appier, who was pretty fucking bad for the rest of his career, which only lasted two more years.

Offline wnyxmcneal

Sports Media Thread
« Reply #51 on: October 25, 2009, 03:09:12 AM »
Why do I give a shit which hog Steve Phillips is fucking on the side? Deadspin is fag gossip for closet cases.

Damaramu thing going on

Offline jimmy no nose

Sports Media Thread
« Reply #52 on: October 25, 2009, 11:52:49 AM »
I'm hearing now that Steve Phillips is out permanently at ESPN, so I would like to say thank you, Deadspin.

Offline Mik

• Lightswitch Rave!
    • Neville Longbottom
Sports Media Thread
« Reply #53 on: October 27, 2009, 02:06:18 PM »
Simmons was pretty good on PTI. He was a bit more informal than most of the guests, but he was also in studio, which usually helps.

He does know a lot about basketball.
Show loose women what I'm workin' with.

Offline Czech

• Boardrunner Emeritus
Sports Media Thread
« Reply #54 on: October 27, 2009, 02:48:34 PM »
Continuum of basketball expertise

college basketball fans --> stupid white guys --> dumb black guys --> white guys --> black guys --> sniveling dork-ass rich liberal white guys

Offline Star Ocean 3

• Star Ocean 2
Sports Media Thread
« Reply #55 on: October 29, 2009, 05:03:09 AM »
Simmons was pretty good on PTI. He was a bit more informal than most of the guests, but he was also in studio, which usually helps.

He does know a lot about basketball.

It was kind of annoying how Kornheiser used his serious voice throughout the interview. Like whether or not the Thunder will be good this year is some grave conversation only real sports cognoscenti like themselves can discuss. It was so pretentious, and I usually like Kornheiser.

But Bill on Sportsnation was worse. Colin Cowherd screwed up the intro, further proving he shouldn't be hosting a show, and then they made Simmons sit through not one, but two dull segments where they tried to shot a bullet through his book. Bill actually got some good lines in, too, if only they would have let him talk. Michelle Beadle is the only saving grace of that show.

Offline Gert

Sports Media Thread
« Reply #56 on: October 29, 2009, 08:30:29 AM »
I don't hate Cowherd as much as most people do around here, but the "he shouldn't be hosting SportsNation" setiment is dead on. He has 16-20 hours a week when he can run his pretentious act on the radio. It just doesn't flow well on a 30 minute show.

Offline devo

Offline Star Ocean 3

• Star Ocean 2
Sports Media Thread
« Reply #58 on: November 11, 2009, 04:29:20 AM »
Dave Dameshek's last podcast for ESPN is today. Sad that another one of the truly unique perspectives on sports goes away. He did say he would continue podcasting in some form next week, probably on Carolla's show, but it looks like ESPN really does want to stick to the noisy, typical football analyst guy kind of broadcasters.

Offline Star Ocean 3

• Star Ocean 2
Sports Media Thread
« Reply #59 on: December 06, 2009, 05:12:32 AM »
A new measure for how I deal with boredom: I've begun measuring NHL fanbases by how many followers teams have for their respective official twitters. Some of the teams:

It's OK, they're expansion teams
Atlanta: 2,624
Phoenix: 3,438

Still don't know what those hashtags are
Carolina: 4,065
Colorado: 4,152
Colombus: 4,178
Minnesota: 4,679

Hat Twick
Dallas: 6,336
mighty Ducks: 6,663
Calgary: 6,731
St. Louis : 6,735
Boston: 7,307
L.A.: 7,674
San Jose: 8,735
Edmonton: 9,161

Tweet Victory
Chicago: 18,469
Detroit: 22,081
Montreal: 22,164

I thought Canada liked hockey
Maple Leaves: 4,375
Ottawa: 4.013

Also worth noting is who the official accounts follow. Most follow other NHL teams and the official NHL account, and then a seemingly random sampling of fans, usually for a total of around 70.  Anaheim and Detroit are following 3,000+ people. The Sharks also follow notable accounts for other Bay Area teams. The Canadiens are following the Expos.

Offline wnyxmcneal

Sports Media Thread
« Reply #60 on: December 06, 2009, 05:17:45 AM »
ESPN discontinued doing the Sports Almanac. This dismays me

Offline treble

• Truculence
  • Admin
Sports Media Thread
« Reply #61 on: December 06, 2009, 11:27:48 AM »
The Leafs Twitter is really shitty.  And I think it's relatively new, too.

Offline KingPK

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
Sports Media Thread
« Reply #62 on: December 08, 2009, 07:40:02 AM »
In a pretty big shocker, Peter Gammons is leaving ESPN.

“My decision to leave ESPN and move on at this point in my life has been conflicted. I owe a great deal of my professional life to ESPN, having spent more than half of my 40 years in journalism working for the network, and the choice to move on was made with nothing but the strongest feelings for the people with whom I worked. ESPN gave me a great deal more than I gave it, and will always be a huge part of who I am.

“I will forever be joined at the hip with John Walsh, who hired me as an ink-stained wretch, plunked me on TV and has always been a guiding spirit. Understand how the people who run ESPN treat people: when I was felled by a severe aneurysm in 2006, George Bodenheimer, John Skipper, Norby Williamson, my former Boston Globe boss Vince Doria and everyone made certain that my family and I had the best care and support, far, far beyond any reasonable expectation. My ESPN life has been lined with foxhole people whom I’ll never forget.

“I’ve been able to work with my closest and oldest friends, like Jayson Stark, Tim Kurkjian, Buster Olney, Peter Pascarelli, Jerry Crasnick and Charlie Moynihan. I spent three seasons doing games with a producer, Tom Archer, who is among the most revered leaders I’ve ever met. I told everyone last October that the team baseball coordinating producer Jay Levy put together with Mark Preisler and Marc Carman was the most creative in my 20 years on the show. I apologize to hundreds of people I owe for all these years for not mentioning their names.

“You would have had to be there for 20 years to know how hard so many good people sweated in anonymity to make all of us look as if we knew what we were doing.

“My friend Tom Rush – who taught James Taylor and me our first guitar chords – once wrote how strange it seems to walk away alone. With no regrets.”

If he goes to MLB Network I will weep tears of joy.

Offline Cheech Tremendous

• Smokin' butts with my girl
Sports Media Thread
« Reply #63 on: December 08, 2009, 12:45:53 PM »
Reports are that he is joining the MLB Network after the conclusion of the Winter Meetings.  I'm psyched; soon, I won't need ESPN at all.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20091208&content_id=7777768&vkey=pr_mlbcom&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

I like that he's working with NESN, too.

Offline Gert

Sports Media Thread
« Reply #64 on: January 24, 2010, 03:05:36 AM »
Anybody have an ESPN Insider account? I have to re-up my ESPN Magazine subscription so I figured it would be about 15 bucks more to do this. Is it worth it? It use to really piss me off that I could access the whole site when I was younger, but seeing the magazine deal included too, it doesn't seem so bad.

Offline the max

• Soxy
Sports Media Thread
« Reply #65 on: January 24, 2010, 06:54:24 AM »
Keith Law and the rest of their baseball analysis is worth it.

Offline Smues

• Admin
  • Smuesicide
Sports Media Thread
« Reply #66 on: February 23, 2010, 04:10:41 AM »
Tony Kornheiser was suspended from PTI for a couple of days for comments he made about Hannah Storm's wardrobe choices on his radio show. She tends to dress for the morning Sports Center like she's going clubbing, I'd say she's fair game. Plus this suspension means we're stuck with Lebetard on PTI, which is more of a punishment to the viewers than Tony. Thanks ESPN.
I want Jimmy Fallon to be dead. That doesn't make me a bad person.

Offline Star Ocean 3

• Star Ocean 2
Sports Media Thread
« Reply #67 on: February 23, 2010, 07:11:11 AM »
Lebatard's awesome. Tony's comments were unnecessary and kind of harsh. Wilbon's the one who's been getting on my nerves lately.

Offline hyperchord24

Sports Media Thread
« Reply #68 on: February 23, 2010, 08:07:52 AM »
Tony Kornheiser was suspended from PTI for a couple of days for comments he made about Hannah Storm's wardrobe choices on his radio show. She tends to dress for the morning Sports Center like she's going clubbing, I'd say she's fair game. Plus this suspension means we're stuck with Lebetard on PTI, which is more of a punishment to the viewers than Tony. Thanks ESPN.
He also made a comment about Berman gaining the 60 pounds he lost on nutrisystem.  Word is that Berman's contract is up and has lofty demands.  Being insulted by one of your colleagues probably isn't going to sit right.

Offline Gert

Sports Media Thread
« Reply #69 on: February 23, 2010, 10:51:10 AM »
Berman probably has creative control demands in his contract so he can still use the same shit he has been the past 30 years.

Offline #sorrynotsorry

• still fly
  • #bae
Sports Media Thread
« Reply #70 on: February 23, 2010, 10:54:48 AM »
Fuck, I stop watching PTI, and now Tony is taking shots at fellow ESPN talent. I wonder who pissed in his cornflakes?

Offline Gert

Sports Media Thread
« Reply #71 on: February 23, 2010, 11:21:27 AM »
I believe it was on Tony's radio show. I am guessing Tony would probably be content to just do radio and walk from PTI, but it's such a huge csh-cow I don't think it would happen.

Offline Smues

• Admin
  • Smuesicide
Sports Media Thread
« Reply #72 on: February 23, 2010, 11:28:29 AM »
It was on his radio show. He takes shots at ESPN people all the time, this was nothing new or out of the ordinary. The Berman theory seems to be a popular one and I wouldn't be surprised if that's the real reason for the suspension, now officially announced as two weeks. What a joke.

Offline #sorrynotsorry

• still fly
  • #bae
Sports Media Thread
« Reply #73 on: February 23, 2010, 11:42:05 AM »
I don't get Tony's show here in SoCal, but that shouldn't be an excuse to not listen to him thanks to the internet. I have a bad Francesa habit that's really hard to kick.

Offline strummer

Sports Media Thread
« Reply #74 on: February 23, 2010, 01:29:35 PM »
ha Kornheiser gets suspended for commenting on Hannah Storm skanking it up on the morning sportscenter?

hell she's the only reason to watch

Offline Black Lushus

Sports Media Thread
« Reply #75 on: February 24, 2010, 01:53:52 AM »
Why pile on Kornheiser?  He's right, Hannah MILFs it up too much on Sportscenter.

I'd hit it.

Offline Kahran Ramsus

Sports Media Thread
« Reply #76 on: February 24, 2010, 02:56:21 AM »
He got suspended for that?  It isn't like he said something racist or sexist or anything.

Offline Star Ocean 3

• Star Ocean 2
Sports Media Thread
« Reply #77 on: February 24, 2010, 03:11:54 AM »
MILFs it up too much

I wasn't aware such a thing was possible

Offline Black Lushus

Sports Media Thread
« Reply #78 on: February 24, 2010, 03:15:34 AM »
MILFs it up too much

I wasn't aware such a thing was possible

depends on the woman doing the MILFing up!

Offline Damaramu

Sports Media Thread
« Reply #79 on: February 24, 2010, 05:16:30 AM »
What exactly did he say?
I watched RAW. I thought it sucked. The usual problems and such.

Offline Smues

• Admin
  • Smuesicide
Sports Media Thread
« Reply #80 on: February 24, 2010, 06:03:41 AM »

Offline Star Ocean 3

• Star Ocean 2
Sports Media Thread
« Reply #81 on: May 07, 2010, 04:48:41 PM »
Spider & Henchman must be the greatest sports podcast. It's a good antidote to the ESPNgroupthinktalkinghead brigade that seems inescapable sometimes. There's a very real, unpretentious air about them when they discuss sports, and it's nicely juxtaposed to vulgar humor and stories, such as in the most recent episode where Hench shares his tale of bringing lotion to a strip club and asking strippers if he can masturbate in his sweats while watching them. Plus John Salley is always good for some classic quotes: "It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether you win."

Online Bernie Bro Kamala

• CXF Writer
  • Sometimes A Friend is Worth A Billion Dollars
Sports Media Thread
« Reply #82 on: July 18, 2010, 08:46:13 AM »
Anybody else looking forward to the Ozzie Guillen reality show on MLB Network?

C'mon nobody?

In other news, according to his Twitter, Ochacinco doesn't know who won his reality dating show. That fella's more than a few fries short of a Happy Meal.

Offline alkeiper

• Welcoming our new insect overlords
Sports Media Thread
« Reply #83 on: July 18, 2010, 11:22:55 AM »
I have little optimism over the borefest that was the Phillies' bullpen series.

Online Bernie Bro Kamala

• CXF Writer
Sports Media Thread
« Reply #84 on: July 18, 2010, 11:28:46 AM »
I can see that but were The Phillies bullpen a generally interesting bunch outside the show? It's obviously going to be sanitized but watching Ozzie, Kenny Williams, and Jerry Reinsdorf argue has some unintentional comedic potential.

Offline alkeiper

Sports Media Thread
« Reply #85 on: July 18, 2010, 11:39:07 AM »
I can see that but were The Phillies bullpen a generally interesting bunch outside the show? It's obviously going to be sanitized but watching Ozzie, Kenny Williams, and Jerry Reinsdorf argue has some unintentional comedic potential.
Well when you have last year's elite closer having a genuine meltdown and you still can't develop an interesting show, I don't know.  The problem seemed to be that the Phils weren't willing to leak anything at all.  So it was just following them around and the producers feeding them topics.

Online Bernie Bro Kamala

• CXF Writer
Sports Reality Show Thread
« Reply #86 on: July 19, 2010, 05:52:43 AM »
Haven't watched the Ozzie show on the DVR yet but incidentally there's also a one hour documentary on The Brewers premiering tomorrow on ESPN.

Offline treble

• Truculence
  • Admin
Sports Media Thread
« Reply #87 on: August 14, 2010, 04:04:39 AM »
So, Rogers SportsNet One (which is funny, because Sportsnet already has 4 channels) launches today.  Unfortunately, no one's put it up on YouTube, but for the last month or so, they've been running the EXACT SAME COMMERCIAL for it set to Nelly's "# 1".  Pretty much half of what's left of the Jays games this season will be on there, since I guess the Sportsnet schedule was just too packed, otherwise.  The game tonight against the Angels is on the new channel, and the 'main' network (well, the Ontario feed, at least) is showing Rudy and poker.

I've heard that a majority of Blue Jays games will be on there next season, which means I'll have to spend more money to watch the games (if my cable company even provides the channel) so one of the richest companies in the country which doesn't have enough programming to fill up the sports network it already has can make a little more money.

I've also heard one of the reasons that Rogers wants to put so many of the Jays games on One is because they'd rather have the games on a national network rather than the regional ones they're on now.  This is ignoring that they could do that now, but used the team as a way to get people to buy digital packages to subscribe to all 4 of the regional networks by putting most Jays games on only 2 of the feeds, while putting other games (usually Red Sox or Yankees ones) on the other feeds.  So, if you lived in Alberta or whatever, and wanted to watch the Jays play that night, there's a good chance that Sportsnet West would be showing the Yankees vs. whoever they're playing and unless you had the digital package that has all 4 Sportsnet feeds, you couldn't watch the game (and there's also probably a pretty good chance that you couldn't watch the game in HD, either).

I fucking hate this company.  This is the same shit they pulled last year when they only put the Tigers/Twins playoff game on 2 of the feeds and the Ontario feed got to watch a simulcast of a radio show.

Offline Beer Baron

• I have a new hat.
Sports Media Thread
« Reply #88 on: August 14, 2010, 04:17:11 AM »
Sportsnet is awful. I'm glad that TSN picked up UEFA Champions League and the EPL for next year with TSN and TSN2. I know it doesn't bother me trying to watch Jays games, but since living in Alberta I have to put up with Don Taylor who might be the worst broadcaster in the business.

Offline treble

• Truculence
  • Admin
Sports Media Thread
« Reply #89 on: August 18, 2010, 08:21:48 AM »
Jays games last weekend (Friday's and Sunday's games) on the regular Sportsnet channels got around 480,000 viewers each game.  The Saturday game, on Sportsnet One, got around 31,000.

Offline Zetterberg is Go

Sports Media Thread
« Reply #90 on: August 18, 2010, 10:07:51 AM »
Yep, Rogers pretty much pulled the same crap Bell did with TSN2 so most of the country didn't have the option to see it. Shaw hasn't added it yet and I bet they wait until the NHL starts.

Offline treble

• Truculence
  • Admin
Sports Media Thread
« Reply #91 on: August 18, 2010, 10:38:44 AM »
I think it's a little different in that TSN didn't take their top property (say, their NHL package) and put half the games on TSN2, cutting out 90% of their audience (if the Blue Jays ratings numbers are to be believed).  TSN2 is mostly overflow programming (extra hockey games, stuff like that) and anything 'big' on there is usually only on there until the main network is free.  I'd be fine if Sportsnet used Sportsnet One for Jays games if they had something better to show on the main network (like, when they get bumped in May for the Memorial Cup, or late season Sunday games when there's football on), but right now its ridiculous.

Offline Zetterberg is Go

Sports Media Thread
« Reply #92 on: August 18, 2010, 12:02:06 PM »
That is true. I know people here were happy that SN1 made Flames PPV go away so it'll be a debacle if they don't get it on Shaw in time.

Online Bernie Bro Kamala

• CXF Writer
Sports Media Thread
« Reply #93 on: August 20, 2010, 03:53:50 PM »
Finally got the MLB Network documentary on the rise and fall of The Montreal Expos and it was pretty solid albeit slightly biased due to the fact that it was produced by MLB itself. That is assuming that the Vlad Guerrero/Jose Vidro years when MLB owned the team were short shifted because they didn't want to talk about how Selig "couldn't afford" the $50,000 to allow Montreal to call up minor league prospects in the heat of a wild card race. It's a pretty glaring oversight for a documentary that was trying to explain all of the reasons why baseball is no longer in the city to forget the final nail in the heart.

Offline #sorrynotsorry

• still fly
  • #bae
Sports Media Thread
« Reply #94 on: August 20, 2010, 03:58:35 PM »
I saw the last part of the doc when Bud was blubbering on how tragic the Expos were and almost gagged. Go fuck yourself Selig.

Offline alkeiper

Sports Media Thread
« Reply #95 on: August 20, 2010, 10:06:39 PM »
Thirded.  They said nothing about Jeffrey Loria's tenure.  His inability to negotiate a basic radio contract in 2000.  And to ignore the farce of the Expos being owned by their competitors was ridiculous. 

Offline #sorrynotsorry

• still fly
  • #bae
Sports Media Thread
« Reply #96 on: August 21, 2010, 03:08:29 AM »
Jay Mariotti is arrested in LA on domestic violence charges.

Thank god I never have to listen to that prick on local anymore.

Offline "Dot Com" Matt Postin (heel)

• Poster of the Year
Sports Media Thread
« Reply #97 on: August 21, 2010, 03:25:54 AM »
*puts Mariotti on mute with a joystick, looks smug*

Online Bernie Bro Kamala

• CXF Writer
Sports Media Thread
« Reply #98 on: August 21, 2010, 04:39:40 AM »
Thirded.  They said nothing about Jeffrey Loria's tenure.  His inability to negotiate a basic radio contract in 2000.  And to ignore the farce of the Expos being owned by their competitors was ridiculous. 
Sadly, I don't think an honest documentary about the demise of the Expos could be produced, which is too bad because 3/4ths of this documentary was pretty good.

Offline geniusMoment

• Trailer Park Supervisor
Sports Media Thread
« Reply #99 on: August 21, 2010, 05:08:17 AM »
Jay Mariotti is arrested in LA on domestic violence charges.

Thank god I never have to listen to that prick on local anymore.

NICE

Ex-Sun-Times columnist Mariotti arrested in L.A.
August 21, 2010 11:35 AM | No Comments | UPDATED STORY

ESPN personality and former Sun-Times sports columnist Jay Mariotti was arrested overnight by Los Angeles police officers after a "physical altercation" with his girlfriend, according to the L.A. Times.

According the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Web site, Mariotti was arrested by police in the LAPD's Pacific Division at about 4:30 p.m. local time and booked into custody about an hour later.

LAPD sources said Mariotti allegedly got into an argument with his girlfriend at a club in Santa Monica.

The argument continued at the couple's apartment in Venice, where some type of physical altercation occurred. Police were called to the apartment, and Marioitti was arrested.

He is currently being held at the 77th Street station on $50,000 bail.

I hope he gets ass raped in jail.
Randy!