Author Topic: Favorite Hot Sauces  (Read 8112 times)

Description:

Offline Jaxxxson Mayhem

• If I told you cocaine numbers you would think I was lyin'
  • WWWYKI
Favorite Hot Sauces
« on: April 17, 2009, 11:24:57 AM »
I just picked up this after everyone kept telling me I had to try it...

This shit is FUCKING HOT. 

My favorite hot sauce is this.

Another favorite of mine is..

Offline starvenger

Favorite Hot Sauces
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2009, 11:32:41 AM »
Yeah, Siracha (or however you spell it) is good stuff.  Best with Asian food, but surprisingly tasty in a burrito.
Starvenger

Offline Jaxxxson Mayhem

• WWWYKI
Favorite Hot Sauces
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2009, 11:35:05 AM »
Is it any good on chicken?   That's all I really use hot sauce on.

Offline Dandy

• Top 128 Poster
  • CXF Writer
Favorite Hot Sauces
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2009, 11:42:17 AM »
I use this (diluted) in my hot sauce for wings at the bar and grill that I cook at in my spare time:

http://www.hotsauceworld.com/source.html
Oh Dandy...you came and you gave without taking!

Offline BPSS

• BurningPirateShipSex
Favorite Hot Sauces
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2009, 11:48:27 AM »

My favorite hot sauce is this.

Charlatan...

Offline Vitamin X

Favorite Hot Sauces
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2009, 11:51:57 AM »
Love love love me some Sriracha. It's commonly known as cock sauce. Anyways, this is my do it all hot sauce here:

Offline Jaxxxson Mayhem

• WWWYKI
Favorite Hot Sauces
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2009, 11:52:11 AM »
The hell is charlatan?

This is the hottest shit I've ever had...

Offline kkktookmybabyaway

• Fry Mumia
Favorite Hot Sauces
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2009, 12:27:51 PM »
Frank's and Tobasco.

I've never been a hot sauce fan until about a year ago.

Offline Amy pats fan

• P dot Roy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • hashtag trashbag
Favorite Hot Sauces
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2009, 03:53:49 PM »
I'm a hot sauce addict, but I've never fallen in love with Siracha the way a lot of people have

right now for general purposes I'm mostly using Cholula, green tabasco and whatever generic vinegar based Franks/Texas Pete style shit I can find cheap.

That buffalo wing Franks is insanely high in sodium, I can't see using that for anything other than coating wings.  Most hot sauces have way too much sodium, which is why I like Cholula, and that Tapatio one Vitamin X recommended (I have a half a bottle of that somewhere in my cabinets), because they're comparatively low in sodium.

I loved the garlic flavored tabasco, but none of the supermarkets I go to carry it anymore, I feel like it was discontinued

Offline Gert

Favorite Hot Sauces
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2009, 06:19:13 PM »

Usually the go-to hot sauce when the woman and I are out. Its funny because the small bottle (4 oz.) was $2.19 at Jungle Jim's since a lot of the local Mexican restaurants will by 5-10 bottles from there, but the (20 oz.) was only 40 cents more.

Anyway I like it because it is hot, but flavorful too.

Offline 👓bigolsmitty👓

• the whole thing is tainted with the memory of the farts
  • stares Trick Daddily
Favorite Hot Sauces
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2009, 12:05:26 AM »
Cheap ass Louisiana:

All of my opinions have been thought out as a result of discourse with other people.

Offline starvenger

Favorite Hot Sauces
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2009, 12:30:13 AM »
It really depends.  Chicken pho - it's a natural.  If it's grilled or baked it definitely brings some flavour to the table.  However I would recommend your standard hot pepper sauce for things like fried chicken or wings.  But if you're getting tired of Franks Red Hot and need some variety, I would try and find a West Indian hot sauce made from scotch bonnets.  Good heat, but usually there's still some flavour that you can taste.

Also, dumplings/potstickers - if you don't go for the Siracha, a standard Chinese chili oil/soy/sesame oil (optional) mixture is always welcome.
Starvenger

Offline The Real DXP

• daileyxplanet
    • TrevorTwitter
Favorite Hot Sauces
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2009, 12:32:27 AM »
How does everyone usually escape the heat? Milk? Bread? Ranch?

Offline Jaxxxson Mayhem

• WWWYKI
Favorite Hot Sauces
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2009, 12:38:22 AM »

Time...  and whatever I'm drinking.

Offline Jaxxxson Mayhem

• WWWYKI
Favorite Hot Sauces
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2009, 12:39:50 AM »
It really depends.  Chicken pho - it's a natural.  If it's grilled or baked it definitely brings some flavour to the table.  However I would recommend your standard hot pepper sauce for things like fried chicken or wings.  But if you're getting tired of Franks Red Hot and need some variety, I would try and find a West Indian hot sauce made from scotch bonnets.  Good heat, but usually there's still some flavour that you can taste.

Also, dumplings/potstickers - if you don't go for the Siracha, a standard Chinese chili oil/soy/sesame oil (optional) mixture is always welcome.

Interesting.  It's not that I'm getting tired of Frank's, cause I love that stuff, it's more that I like to try different sauces.  I mostly eat fried chicken or wings but I do occasionally eat baked or grilled chicken.   I'll have to use it next time I eat some grilled chicken.

Offline kkktookmybabyaway

• Fry Mumia
Favorite Hot Sauces
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2009, 03:01:22 AM »

Moo juice.

Offline 👓bigolsmitty👓

• the whole thing is tainted with the memory of the farts
  • stares Trick Daddily
Favorite Hot Sauces
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2009, 03:09:32 AM »

Not being a bitch.
All of my opinions have been thought out as a result of discourse with other people.

Offline Vitamin X

Favorite Hot Sauces
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2009, 06:53:31 AM »
Moo juice.
Not being a bitch.
What these two said. The first is only if it's to the point where it's not enjoyable, but the heat is something you get used to after a while. The way I got used to it was to embark on a hot pepper challenge. Start out by getting jalapenos on a bunch of things- fast food places like BK and subway and whatever use pickled jalapenos to reduce the heat, so go with that first. Then chop them up and add them yourself. The seeds contain extra heat, too, so add or subtract whatever you want. Then after jalapenos are nothin', move up to a huge variety of peppers, anchos and serranos and even the pretty mild poblano, which isn't that spicy but you'll get used to it. After that, work on the habanero challenge. Once you master that, you can take on pretty much any hot sauce, but the Asian hot chili oils.. That's an entirely different challenge (one I'm trying to work through these days).

Offline griffinmills

• I finally changed this.
Favorite Hot Sauces
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2009, 06:22:02 PM »
Reading this thread is liking browsing the refrigerator door at my Dad's place, he has everything listed here and more.  "Ass in a Bucket" hot sauce always caught my eye, good for a chuckle.

I'm a fan of the "spicy" version of the OP's Crystal hot sauce but usually mix it about 10 tablespoons to a 1/2 stick of BUTTer or margarine when having chicken.  Haven't been able to find spicy Crystal in a while though.  We actually started out making that recipe with "Louisiana Hot Sauce" actually bought while on a trip to Louisiana and Avery Island when I was a kid but in the end the cheap Crystal stuff was good enough instead of having to scrounge specialty markets and shit for the good stuff.

My Dad got into "manly hot sauce" shit when I was just a kid.  Eating wild varieties of hot peppers and randomly forcing them on us.  Basically it takes Habanero level heat or up to get my attention thanks to his destructive, but well intentioned, up bringing.  He basically eats Sriracha by the spoonful for fun anymore and has all kinds of blow-your-socks-off local Asian oil/sauce shit that he gets scared of just opening, "Don't get this shit in your eyes, whatever you do!"  Now when I think about it I always think of Homer and the Guatemalan Insanity Pepper of Quetzlzacatenango.  He finally stopped the hot pepper kick after eating some local Hamburger made out of peppers that he swore he could feel the acid of which melting it's way through his intestinal tract. 

Man Vs. Food had a good episode of a pasta place with some retardo hot peppers and they recommend orange and vanilla ice cream sandwiches to beat the heat.

Offline NoCalMike

• Welcome to Prime Time, bitch!
    • EVIL EPISODES PODCAST!
Favorite Hot Sauces
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2009, 03:43:18 PM »
Tobasco is pretty all purpose for me, really good on eggs & chicken.

Tapatio is for Mexican food.

Louisiana goes well on Chicken as well.

Tobasco-Chipotle is good on mexican food.

Daves Gourmet Insanity is not meant as a hot sauce, rather you are supposed to put a teaspoon of it in like an entire batch of chili.

I also like Tobasco's Green sauce.

Crystal EXXXTRA hot is good too.
Get your TV Horror Fix w/the Podcast EVIL EPISODES! Listen at:
http://www.legionpodcasts.com/
http://www.horrorphilia.com

• KOAB
Favorite Hot Sauces
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2009, 01:41:23 PM »

FUCK YEAH. I need to pick up some of this again, love it... so spicy and yet it has such a sweet taste

Offline griffinmills

Favorite Hot Sauces
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2009, 06:12:33 PM »

Second that.  Too bad I can't find it easily locally anymore, where do you see it for sale?

Offline NoCalMike

• EVIL EPISODES PODCAST!
Favorite Hot Sauces
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2009, 07:29:48 PM »

FUCK YEAH. I need to pick up some of this again, love it... so spicy and yet it has such a sweet taste

That bottle is traditionally found in most asian eateries, as it goes extremely well with stir fry and/or rice bowls. 

It is commonly referred to out here as "rooster sauce" because of the insignia on the bottle.

Offline NoCalMike

• EVIL EPISODES PODCAST!
Favorite Hot Sauces
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2009, 07:30:32 PM »

Second that.  Too bad I can't find it easily locally anymore, where do you see it for sale?

Umm...I believe it is readily available in standard grocery stores out here.  I'll have to check on that for you though.

Offline Vitamin X

Favorite Hot Sauces
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2009, 08:35:51 AM »
It is commonly referred to out here as "rooster sauce" because of the insignia on the bottle.
Love love love me some Sriracha. It's commonly known as cock sauce.

Offline EHME

• I'm trying to win coach. I ain't trying to disrespect nobody, but winning is the only thing I respect.
Favorite Hot Sauces
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2009, 10:52:20 AM »
Sriracha is really good with pizza.

I love Franks Red Hot, great flavour. As well as Louisiana hot sauce.

Offline Tawren

Favorite Hot Sauces
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2009, 04:39:54 AM »
I just picked up this after everyone kept telling me I had to try it...

This shit is FUCKING HOT. 

Picked up a bottle of this at the grocery store. Fucking awesome. This is the brand of hot sauce I've been looking for for a while. Just absolutely crushes both Tobasco and Franks

Offline no fact, no matter

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
Favorite Hot Sauces
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2009, 06:19:44 AM »

That bottle is traditionally found in most asian eateries, as it goes extremely well with stir fry and/or rice bowls. 

That's what we call it up here, too. :)
You should probably put your bandit hat on now.

Offline Tawren

Favorite Hot Sauces
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2009, 09:46:46 AM »

Offline Beer Baron

• I have a new hat.
Favorite Hot Sauces
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2009, 03:06:56 PM »
Sriracha is awesome and I use it on almost anything. I dabbed a bit of it on a Oriental Pasta Dish that I made today and it gave it some nice heat.

Offline Nymyzys

• TRTSM's Color Commentator
Favorite Hot Sauces
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2009, 03:19:16 AM »

Right here.  Valentina Mexican Hot Sauce.  First hot sauce I've ever had that's even good enough to eat by itself.

Offline special k

• Just the way I planned it
Favorite Hot Sauces
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2009, 04:45:18 AM »
Ha ha, saw this thread and JaXXXson pretty much got my picks on the first go 'round.

Sriracha is the best hot sauce. Hands down. It has wonderful flavor and is hot as fuck. I drown a lot of my food in it :-)

Frank's is the best with chicken, IMO. I do own a giant jug of it for making homemade buffalo chicken stuff when we have small sports get-togethers here.

Crystal is the best standard Tabasco-style hot sauce. It's not as acidic as Louisiana brand and Tabasco. I mainly use it on breakfast food, which sriracha or frank's would totally overwhelm. Lately, though, I've really been digging Tabasco Chipotle on breakfast foods. Damn tasty stuff.

Offline Jaxxxson Mayhem

• WWWYKI
Favorite Hot Sauces
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2010, 09:21:04 AM »
Last night a friend bet me $100 to do a shot of the assorted hot sauces he has.   I chose this

http://asskickin.net/product.php?id=174

I took the shot and automatically got hiccups and my gums started burning.  Then my mouth/throat started to burn and I wanted to throw up.  After that I just felt sick to my stomach for the next couple hours.  It was well worth $100 though.

Offline Venkman

• Dr Venkman PhD
  • You don't know me and you don't have to know me
Favorite Hot Sauces
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2010, 01:38:54 AM »
Things that are too hot still bother me a bit (I just a few years ago stopped picking jalapeños off my nachos) or I'm just not adventurous enough to try it yet, so I stick with regular ol Frank's. Much like the commercial says, I do indeed put that shit on everything.

That hot sauce bottle with the rooster on it makes a joke on King of the Hill a bit funnier.

Offline griffinmills

Favorite Hot Sauces
« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2010, 05:20:03 PM »
Still no luck on extra hot crystal in the general SF bay area, fucking lame.  We USED to have it but not no mo'.  I remember my buddy whining that it was burning his lips even after I cut it with butter for him.

Lately though there has been an influx of this really cheap ass brand, "Valu Time."  I mostly see it at Lucky stores.  So far I've seen them offering French Fries, Crackers (Saltines style), Jalapenos, powdered fruit juice shit and, yes, "Louisiana style" hot sauce.  Turns out to be pretty good and beats the pants off SF (79 cents vs. 2.99 and up for Crystal) Crystal prices.

My wife thought she could taste a difference so I just refill the Crystal bottle and chuck out the Valu Time bottle to shut her up.  Every now and then she buys a new bottle of Crystal though and I gotta admit the Crystal, then, kinda tastes better... but I end up switching back and forth on preference tbh.

Offline GAYGENT OF OBLIVION

• Go Gators
  • Faded as fuck
Favorite Hot Sauces
« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2010, 11:21:53 PM »

Offline "Dot Com" Matt Postin (heel)

• Poster of the Year
Favorite Hot Sauces
« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2010, 01:34:18 AM »
El Pato is the best on el taco.

Offline Amy pats fan

• P dot Roy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • hashtag trashbag
Favorite Hot Sauces
« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2010, 01:28:34 AM »
If anyone has a Big Lots near them it's a great place to find cheap hot sauce

I picked up a 12 oz. Louisiana Brand for $1.25 the other day.  It's good but way too salty.

I've also seen Trappeys, Crystal and Crystal Xtra there, among other brands. 

It's worth checking out every couple of weeks to see what comes through.

Offline "Dot Com" Matt Postin (heel)

• Poster of the Year
Favorite Hot Sauces
« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2010, 08:47:51 AM »

OH YEAH

Offline CletusVanDamme

• BlackFlagg
Re: Favorite Hot Sauces
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2012, 02:58:43 PM »
just stumbled across this on facebook, http://www.hauntedhotsauce.com/ probably gonna order a bottle just for the coffin box it comes in, heh

Offline CanadianGuitarist

« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2012, 01:48:55 PM »
Srihacha is something of a double-edged sword to me. It's so spectacular that I have to overdo it, to the point I have trouble finishing whatever I've put it on. I haven't found the perfect balance yet, but I haven't found anything sensible that I haven't enjoyed it on. It's like a sweeter, hotter Frank's.

Frank's is still my go-to, and I think someone mentioned their Buffalo-style. It's great, but I use it primarily for cooking, especially if I'm slow cooking; but it doesn't seem to lend itself to "everything" the way Frank's does.

Offline starvenger

« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2012, 01:11:39 PM »
Love that a thread can be picked up nearly two years after the fact.

Question: Do we consider wasabi-soy a hot sauce?  I think we can agree that it's not really that hot, but a good amount of it at once will hit you in the back of the head for a second or so.

At work someone brought in something called "The Hottest Fucking Sauce".  I can verify that it's hot, but it doesn't have much flavour going for it so I can't recommend it.
Starvenger

Offline Amy pats fan

• P dot Roy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • hashtag trashbag
« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2012, 01:20:51 PM »
IMO hot sauce needs to be pepper based.  Wasabi is a horseradish variation

Offline CanadianGuitarist

« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2012, 02:02:17 PM »
I know this, or something similar, has happened to everyone in the history of the world, but:

I didn't know wasabi was horseradish-y, so when one of my buddies brought over some wasabi corn nuts, I ate a handtful the way I would popcorn. That tainted it for me. I'm never going to eat anything sushi-like anyway, so that might account for something.

I went three months without horseradish, incidentally. Same place, too. Roast beef on wick at the Casino (pretty good, but not great). Had it in October last year, overdid it with the horseradish, got scared off. Tried it again three months later, also at the Casino. I knew the horseradish wasn't to blame.

Offline Amy pats fan

• P dot Roy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • hashtag trashbag
« Reply #44 on: March 18, 2012, 02:05:37 PM »
I just bought some horseradish today.  This thread is making me hungry.

Offline #sorrynotsorry

• still fly
  • #bae
« Reply #45 on: March 18, 2012, 04:12:09 PM »
Red Rooster is my shit.

Fuck Tapatio

• Go Gators
  • Faded as fuck
« Reply #46 on: March 18, 2012, 04:17:39 PM »
Horseradish is the greatest

Offline Saints_Fan_H

« Reply #47 on: March 19, 2012, 01:03:11 AM »
I've recently got on the Srihacha after visiting a place that had a bottle on every table. I've been putting it on every non-sweet absorbent food I eat now (for instance, I'm not putting it on salad). It's pretty good.

I don't know how well received mixing Thai sauce with Mexican food goes, but I put some on tacos recently and it was quite wonderful.

• Go Gators
  • Faded as fuck
« Reply #48 on: June 04, 2013, 11:17:34 AM »
Bump.

I'm hooked on Radioactive Iguana. Hot shit in general has been on my menu a lot lately.

Offline Amy pats fan

• P dot Roy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • hashtag trashbag
« Reply #49 on: June 04, 2013, 12:54:35 PM »
Got some of this on a recent Big Lots trip

It was so fucking good I literally started taking nips of it out of the bottle.  Went back and stocked up on 5 more bottles in case I never see it there again

I also got a bottle of the same brand Habanero.  Made some turkey burgers with it that turned out really well.