Author Topic: Ground Beef question  (Read 1188 times)

Description:

Offline Jaxxxson Mayhem

• If I told you cocaine numbers you would think I was lyin'
  • WWWYKI
Ground Beef question
« on: April 18, 2009, 07:25:11 AM »
I bought 5 pounds of ground beef 2 days ago and was too tired to patty it up when I got home so I just threw it in the freezer.   It has frozen solid and I want to make some burgers out of it.... but I also want to leave some for tacos.  I won't use all the ground beef at once so I'll have to refreeze it after thawing.  Will it mess up the beef if I take it from frozen, to thawing it, to refreezing it?

Offline Vitamin X

Ground Beef question
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2009, 07:45:52 AM »
The best advice I have for you, food safety-wise, is to always maintain meat under the 32 degree mark. so, if you took it straight from freezer to thaw on the counter or sink, then re-freezing it isn't a good idea. The way I usually like to do it is to try and get it ready the day before or that morning by thawing it in the fridge (keeping it on the lowest possible shelf in there to keep the nastiness from dripping on to your other good stuff and contaminating it). But yes, once thawed in the fridge, you can re-freeze it again, provided your fridge is kept pretty cold.

Also, it's probably a good idea to divide the meat into portions you'll actually use one at a time. They'll both freeze and thaw quicker because there's less surface area. Get some good freezer paper and learn how to do a butcher wrap, too, to keep the meat from freezer burning.

Offline Jaxxxson Mayhem

• WWWYKI
Ground Beef question
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2009, 07:49:54 AM »
Interesting...  So you're saying I'm fucked if it's frozen solid right now and I want to use some of it right now?

Offline Vitamin X

Ground Beef question
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2009, 08:13:23 AM »
If it's frozen solid right now, throw it in the fridge right now. Don't let it thaw on the counter or sink if you, by any chance, don't want to use some of it, or even worse get nasty bits of bacteria in there. If it's frozen solid right now, you can try to thaw it by running it through some cold water- and I'd recommend that for a good cut of meat, but for ground beef, you're kind of relegated to letting it thaw, unless you want to lose a whole bunch of it to the sink and have it all fall apart and get mushy on you, which will not turn into a good burger.

Ever made picadillo? That's some good ground beef you can make without doing a burger. All you do is cook up some onion and garlic and toss in a bay leaf, and then add the beef until it's all cooked. Then add in some green olives, raisins (I'm not kidding), some tomato sauce, and then a dash of red vinegar and cayenne pepper if you want, bout 5-8 minutes. Serve that on top of rice with those fried plantains at the top of my recipe thread, and that's essentially what I ate nearly every damn day growing up. I guess it would be called a beef hash in English. But it uses up a ton of ground beef and you can just eat it any damn time, lots of leftovers. Those 5 pounds of beef would be gone in a matter of a few days in my house.

Offline Jaxxxson Mayhem

• WWWYKI
Ground Beef question
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2009, 08:59:41 AM »
Ah.   Yeah, I ended up throwing it in the fridge.  I'm just gonna wait till tomorrow to make the patties and refreeze.   Thanks for the help.

Offline GAYGENT OF OBLIVION

• Go Gators
  • Faded as fuck
Ground Beef question
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2009, 11:34:47 PM »
I'd just thaw it, make the burgers, then brown the rest for tacos and put it in the fridge for tomorrow.

But yeah, don't thaw and refreeze ground beef.