Author Topic: ALL DAY GAMES SUNDAY SO WE CAN WATCH THE SOUP, DAWG (NBA Feb. 6 - Feb. 12)  (Read 5186 times)

Description:

Offline Firmino of the 909

• Admin
ALL DAY GAMES SUNDAY SO WE CAN WATCH THE SOUP, DAWG (NBA Feb. 6 - Feb. 12)
« Reply #50 on: February 08, 2011, 08:03:45 AM »
There's not really more to get out of the Knicks. Realistically they can't offer something else. Even if it's not Melo, the Lakers are going to get a big time player at the deadline. Maybe only Gerald Wallace but that would be huge. So I'm not really worried about this. The Lakers know they need a scorer to take the load off Kobe as he gets older.

koab [8:27 PM]
damn i thought you guys were good little cucks who would shit themselfs so a POC could peacefully protest

Offline Cheech Tremendous

• Smokin' butts with my girl
« Reply #51 on: February 08, 2011, 08:06:28 AM »
I thought the whole reason Denver couldn't do the deal with New Jersey was because they were in cost cutting mode and they absolutely had to dump bad contracts or get expirings to make the deal work, but now they are going to take Bynum, who is owed $32 million over the next two years?  That doesn't make sense.  Furthermore, their incumbent big men, Martin and Nene, are better than Bynum right now and while he might represent upside potential, it's hard to see them doing anything in the next two years.  If I'm Denver, I let Carmelo, Smith and Martin walk, trade Billups and start the rebuilding in earnest.  Who wants to pay the luxury tax to field a 35-win team?

Offline Fökai

« Reply #52 on: February 08, 2011, 08:08:29 AM »
RE: Artest/Charlotte.

According to Yahoo, Jordan was excited about acquiring Artest, but then he heard through the grapevine about Artest refusing to play there, so he nixed the deal.

RE: Bynum/Melo.

I'd be more offended if the Nuggets took the Knicks/Wolves offer, than I would the possibility of caving in to the Laker's proposal.

The only loser in that trade is Pau, since his knees are going to have to absorb 40+ minutes a night for the rest of the season. If they don't move Artest in a package for a big, their frontcourt will be fucked come playoff time. As an aside, the Nuggets want no part of Artest, so Nene, Birdman and K-Mart are out of the question.

Offline #sorrynotsorry

• still fly
  • #bae
« Reply #53 on: February 08, 2011, 08:10:55 AM »
Bynum has team option in his contract, so Denver would really be committing to him for a year tops if they wanted.

This point has been ignored btw. And Nene and Kenyon Martin aren't better than Bynum.

Offline teke184

« Reply #54 on: February 08, 2011, 08:12:35 AM »
I thought the whole reason Denver couldn't do the deal with New Jersey was because they were in cost cutting mode and they absolutely had to dump bad contracts or get expirings to make the deal work, but now they are going to take Bynum, who is owed $32 million over the next two years?  That doesn't make sense.  Furthermore, their incumbent big men, Martin and Nene, are better than Bynum right now and while he might represent upside potential, it's hard to see them doing anything in the next two years.  If I'm Denver, I let Carmelo, Smith and Martin walk, trade Billups and start the rebuilding in earnest.  Who wants to pay the luxury tax to field a 35-win team?

Denver lost the deal with NJ for two reasons:

1. Their front office decided to get cute with the negotiations and pissed off NJ.  

Depending on who you ask, Denver was sandbagging NJ because NJ wanted Melo much more than Denver wanted to trade him or because they wanted to ensure that NJ's cap space was trashed the next few years, ensuring they aren't in play for someone like Chris Paul, by eating contracts like Harrington's deal.

2. NJ apparently couldn't get Melo on the line to talk seriously about an extension.  Considering the amount of frustration they've had in dealing with Denver's front office, Melo coming off as lukewarm about an extension made them say "enough is enough".
It's hard to make comparisons since Auburn is replacing a lot of production on defense and LSU's unit is apparently composed of half human/half swamp mutant hybrids who spit diesel fuel and long to hear the terrified screams of small children.

Offline Brooklyn Zoo

• BZ
  • BZ
« Reply #55 on: February 08, 2011, 08:18:02 AM »
The Nuggets save 20 million in the 3 way Knick trade.

Offline teke184

« Reply #56 on: February 08, 2011, 08:19:22 AM »
As an aside, the Nuggets want no part of Artest, so Nene, Birdman and K-Mart are out of the question.

I can't think of many teams willing to put up with Artest's shit.

Teams with the space for him tend to be bad ones, meaning he'd pitch a fit like he did in Sacramento.

Winning teams either don't have the ammo or are gun-shy about adding such a volatile personality into their locker room, as he pouts when things aren't going well or he's not getting the kind of production he wants.
It's hard to make comparisons since Auburn is replacing a lot of production on defense and LSU's unit is apparently composed of half human/half swamp mutant hybrids who spit diesel fuel and long to hear the terrified screams of small children.

Offline Vitamin X

« Reply #57 on: February 08, 2011, 08:23:29 AM »
Not to get in the way of MeloTradetalk here, but apparently Brandon Roy is going to come back this Friday, off the bench initially. So is Camby.

I think Roy is going to be the first NBA player to play in a wheelchair by this summer.

Offline teke184

« Reply #58 on: February 08, 2011, 08:30:20 AM »
Not to get in the way of MeloTradetalk here, but apparently Brandon Roy is going to come back this Friday, off the bench initially. So is Camby.

I think Roy is going to be the first NBA player to play in a wheelchair by this summer.

Offline #sorrynotsorry

• still fly
  • #bae
« Reply #59 on: February 08, 2011, 08:40:39 AM »
Hopefully Jerry or Jeanie Buss got involved. Jim is a fucking moron.

• Admin
« Reply #60 on: February 08, 2011, 08:42:58 AM »
Old Man Buss knows the score. And if somehow that trade kept Phil around for another year it would be done tomorrow.

damn i thought you guys were good little cucks who would shit themselfs so a POC could peacefully protest

« Reply #61 on: February 08, 2011, 08:58:14 AM »
The Mavs and Bulls have to try to beat that offer.  Both teams could go from good to contender with a second scorer like Melo. 

• Admin
« Reply #62 on: February 08, 2011, 09:02:32 AM »
LOL

I told you last night the Lakers would get him. Why do you think the Lakers are interested? So they can be used? That's never how it works with the Lakers and you know better dawg.

« Reply #63 on: February 08, 2011, 09:02:43 AM »
The Mavs could offer Beaubois, Butler's expiring, Stevenson's expiring and 1-2 first round picks for a Melo rental.  I'm not saying that's  the best offer out there, but it gets them in the conversation.

• Admin
« Reply #64 on: February 08, 2011, 09:05:26 AM »
Butler is injured. Can you trade players that are out for the year? They want to trade Melo but they also still want to make the playoffs I'm sure.

Offline Brooklyn Zoo

• BZ
  • BZ
« Reply #65 on: February 08, 2011, 09:07:01 AM »
I'm confident the Lakers arebeing used cause they shot down the report + Jim made it clear that Bynum is staying.

Beaubois is going to be a backup in Denver and he's overrated. They don't have much.

Offline #sorrynotsorry

• still fly
  • #bae
« Reply #66 on: February 08, 2011, 09:08:00 AM »
What jim says doesn't mean shit at this point.

Offline Brooklyn Zoo

• BZ
  • BZ
« Reply #67 on: February 08, 2011, 09:09:43 AM »
Ok, we'll see. The Lakers aren't interested.

Offline #sorrynotsorry

• still fly
  • #bae
« Reply #68 on: February 08, 2011, 09:12:06 AM »
I'm listening to the Laker station that says otherwise

Offline Cool, Bad, & Handsome

• KOAB
« Reply #69 on: February 08, 2011, 09:42:18 AM »
Nene is better than Bynum... Martin isn't. In fact here's how I'd rank 'em

Nene > Bynum >>>>> Martin

Nene is a bit better and the only way you could rank Bynum ahead of him is with his magical potential I keep hearing about.

« Reply #70 on: February 08, 2011, 10:22:14 AM »
Injured players are also great for trade purposes because insurance picks up part of their contract.

Offline Vitamin X

« Reply #71 on: February 08, 2011, 10:33:05 AM »
Speaking of which, I wanna get in on this Denver/LA action:

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=5vxmlbe

Offline Byron The Bulp

• Byron the bulb
  • Byron the bulb

• KOAB
« Reply #73 on: February 08, 2011, 10:56:36 AM »
Nene is better than Bynum for the same reason he's better than Oden: He actually manages to fucking stay healthy.

this makes it seem like if Bynum were healthy there would be no way possible that Nene is better than him and I hope that's not what you meant because Nene has quietly become one of the best big men in the West this year.

Offline The Art of Rasslin'

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • wipeoff
« Reply #74 on: February 08, 2011, 11:48:22 AM »
Lakers are looking for a point and to dump Artest, Melo wants out and the Nuggets will need some depth to replace Melo with. Therefore:

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=4g4e7wr

I can't believe a guy can be that big, and jump around like he does what a great athlete!

Offline The Art of Rasslin'

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • wipeoff
« Reply #75 on: February 09, 2011, 07:24:28 AM »
Anyone who thinks it's an undisputed great idea to trade Bynum for Melo is an idiot. Gets you much further away from a championship. We got smashed in the Finals against the Celtics without Bynum and we barely had enough size to win it with him. If we play the Celtics in the Finals without Bynum this year, we lose. That simple. The only way it works is if we get Melo and then play somebody else. And we also have to swing Artest for a big.

I disagree with this kind of logic, as putting Melo in will create way different problems for the Celtics. Yeah, you get smaller but with a damn good trade-off. It's not like it will be the Lakers against the Celtics without Bynum, it will be the Lakers against the Celtics without Bynum but WITH Melo. To act like that doesn't make a difference is stupid. To think you shouldn't pull this deal off because of the likelihood of playing poorer against a really old team in the finals that might not even make it there is pretty dumb. Yeah, it will be harder to protect the paint, but with three all-world scoring options in your starting five how are they going to guard you?

'Trading Bynum for Melo gets you further away from a championship' is not really something I can fathom.

I can't believe a guy can be that big, and jump around like he does what a great athlete!

Offline Damaramu

« Reply #76 on: February 09, 2011, 07:36:11 AM »
I don't care if Melo ends up on the Lakers, Knicks or some team in France. I just want him to get somewhere so I can quit hearing about it.
I watched RAW. I thought it sucked. The usual problems and such.

• Admin
« Reply #77 on: February 09, 2011, 07:43:54 AM »
Anyone who thinks it's an undisputed great idea to trade Bynum for Melo is an idiot. Gets you much further away from a championship. We got smashed in the Finals against the Celtics without Bynum and we barely had enough size to win it with him. If we play the Celtics in the Finals without Bynum this year, we lose. That simple. The only way it works is if we get Melo and then play somebody else. And we also have to swing Artest for a big.

I disagree with this kind of logic, as putting Melo in will create way different problems for the Celtics. Yeah, you get smaller but with a damn good trade-off. It's not like it will be the Lakers against the Celtics without Bynum, it will be the Lakers against the Celtics without Bynum but WITH Melo. To act like that doesn't make a difference is stupid. To think you shouldn't pull this deal off because of the likelihood of playing poorer against a really old team in the finals that might not even make it there is pretty dumb. Yeah, it will be harder to protect the paint, but with three all-world scoring options in your starting five how are they going to guard you?

'Trading Bynum for Melo gets you further away from a championship' is not really something I can fathom.

Paper thin lineup of Gasol and Theo Ratliff at the 5 gets you further away. And Gasol does not do well guarding solid post-up bigs. If I was to do it I'd want to trade Artest for a center first.

Offline MFer

• The Future Has Arrived
  • Admin
« Reply #78 on: February 09, 2011, 02:15:58 PM »
Can't believe the Pistons didn't blow it. The dream (Wiz/Cavs) will now become a reality.

Offline Mr. S£im Citrus

• Representing Blacks Without Soul since 1975
« Reply #79 on: February 09, 2011, 02:48:55 PM »
Can't believe the Pistons didn't blow it. The dream (Wiz/Cavs) will now become a reality.

Alfdogg's OP is wrong: the Cavs still have to lose to the Clippers on Friday first.

Offline THE TUGSTER

• Alfdogg
« Reply #80 on: February 10, 2011, 06:51:02 AM »
For some reason I missed that game when I was typing the schedule up.  Knowing the Clips, they probably will fuck this one up.
@alfdogg765 on Twitter FOLLOW ME

• KOAB
« Reply #81 on: February 10, 2011, 07:10:24 AM »
there's no way they fuck this up

• Admin
« Reply #82 on: February 10, 2011, 01:47:11 PM »
This game is the kind of game that makes you believe both in Bynum and that trading his size could give the Lakers massive problems in the postseason. Was no need to play him late in this fourth quarter but he was quite crucial in getting us to that point. Our length is huge. It's also pretty assuring to know they can turn it on just like that as in past seasons.

Offline #sorrynotsorry

• still fly
  • #bae
« Reply #83 on: February 10, 2011, 01:56:20 PM »
Los Angeles can finally breathe again!

Lakers needed this win badly. The rest of Grammy roadtrip is very winnable.

Offline Brooklyn Zoo

• BZ
  • BZ
« Reply #84 on: February 11, 2011, 02:54:06 AM »

Offline teke184

« Reply #85 on: February 11, 2011, 04:24:29 AM »
http://www.onionsportsnetwork.com/articles/kids-in-scaredstraight-program-visit-horrifying-cl,19156/

Cleveland's "Scared Straight" program - Making kids visit a Cavs practice and talk with the team

Offline Chosun

• 11 Year Veteran
« Reply #86 on: February 11, 2011, 04:37:53 AM »
http://anklesofsteel.blogspot.com/2011/02/myth-of-franchise-point-guard.html

Blawg.  Feel free to hurl abuse in the comments section, or agree with me.
TSM NBA H2H Year 10 - Championship or Bust
G - Damian Lillard
G - Trae Young
G - Jeff Teague
F - Anthony Davis
F - Josh Richardson
F - Zach Collins
C - Brook Lopez
Util - Goran Dragic
BN - Alex Len
BN - Harrison Barnes
BN - Michael Porter Jr

• Admin
« Reply #87 on: February 11, 2011, 04:41:20 AM »
Definitely a myth.

Offline Chosun

• 11 Year Veteran
« Reply #88 on: February 11, 2011, 04:48:27 AM »
After hearing about the Williams/Sloan stuff, and having my flight from Boston to NYC delayed, I thought I'd do some research to back up what I'd been saying for years.  Interesting.

Celtics-Lakers last night was crazy, good to be a part of history with Ray's record.  Hell of a moment live.  Kobe was great in the last quarter, and the C's thin front line was evident with the O'Neals and Semih out, and led to Pau and Bynum both having solid games.
G - Damian Lillard
G - Trae Young
G - Jeff Teague
F - Anthony Davis
F - Josh Richardson
F - Zach Collins
C - Brook Lopez
Util - Goran Dragic
BN - Alex Len
BN - Harrison Barnes
BN - Michael Porter Jr

Offline Wizard of Maz

« Reply #89 on: February 11, 2011, 04:56:38 AM »
Good blog, I agree wholeheartedly. I think the PG should be more of an enabler that the offense flows through, which most of the winning guards have done. More critical to winning is a dominant big paired with a skilled wing player and the point just needs to not turn the ball over, and be able to get the ball to the paint or the wing depending on the situation, which is what Fisher has excelled at.

Offline Chosun

• 11 Year Veteran
« Reply #90 on: February 11, 2011, 05:43:11 AM »
Exactly.  Parker is the only point guard on that list multiple times that has averaged over 13PPG, which is why teams should be hesitant in pursuing Chris Paul and Deron Williams instead of going after Melo or Dwight.
G - Damian Lillard
G - Trae Young
G - Jeff Teague
F - Anthony Davis
F - Josh Richardson
F - Zach Collins
C - Brook Lopez
Util - Goran Dragic
BN - Alex Len
BN - Harrison Barnes
BN - Michael Porter Jr

Offline Byron The Bulp

• Byron the bulb
  • Byron the bulb
« Reply #91 on: February 11, 2011, 05:50:25 AM »

Dumars traded both of the dudes involved in this play for cap relief. ARRGHhhkjgbjgbs/ljfsnw/lka

Offline Chosun

• 11 Year Veteran
« Reply #92 on: February 11, 2011, 05:56:23 AM »
Crazy game, Afflalo was brilliant after Melo fouled out.  If Denver can get Gallinari and Minny's 1st rounder for Melo, then they'd have a good core.  Best case scenario they do that trade, luck out and get a top 3 pick and draft Jones or Sullinger, and build around Lawson, Afflalo, Gallinari, Sullinger and Nene.
G - Damian Lillard
G - Trae Young
G - Jeff Teague
F - Anthony Davis
F - Josh Richardson
F - Zach Collins
C - Brook Lopez
Util - Goran Dragic
BN - Alex Len
BN - Harrison Barnes
BN - Michael Porter Jr

Offline Byron The Bulp

• Byron the bulb
  • Byron the bulb
« Reply #93 on: February 11, 2011, 06:01:46 AM »
Chauncey, Afflalo, and Melo could all be in Pistons uniforms right now :(

In other, happier Pistons news, they're retiring Rodman's number. They also finally found someone to buy the team. Yay.

Offline Mr. S£im Citrus

• Representing Blacks Without Soul since 1975
« Reply #94 on: February 11, 2011, 08:14:49 AM »
The hopes and dreams of a nation rest on Blake Griffin's shoulders tonight.

Offline THE TUGSTER

• Alfdogg
« Reply #95 on: February 11, 2011, 10:30:15 AM »
@alfdogg765 on Twitter FOLLOW ME

Offline Star Ocean 3

• Star Ocean 2
« Reply #96 on: February 11, 2011, 10:58:53 AM »
I'm really sick of every close game turning into a free throw contest at the end. Every foul off the ball should just be called a flagrant. Let's just have the game be played at its natural speed and end the constant fouling. And get rid of 20 second timeouts, too. Professionals shouldn't need to be babied through the game like that.

Offline Monsoon Classic

• Monsoon_Classic
    • My YouTube Channel with over 2,000 classic WWF & WCW videos
« Reply #97 on: February 11, 2011, 11:01:23 AM »
All these records the Cavs have been breaking is making my head spin. Had I of known this game would break the all time record for losing streaks regardless of the sport, I would have hauled ass to the Q and watched it in person.
Check out my YouTube page for over 2,000 classic WWF & WCW videos:
https://www.youtube.com/user/MrMonsoonClassic/videos

Offline #sorrynotsorry

• still fly
  • #bae
« Reply #98 on: February 11, 2011, 11:40:43 AM »
I like the 70's home throwbacks the Lakers have been wearing the past couple games, but I'd like to see the road throwbacks sometime. For some reason, I think the road purples (fourm blue) are sharp.

Offline #sorrynotsorry

• still fly
  • #bae
« Reply #99 on: February 11, 2011, 12:36:56 PM »
MozGOD is pretty hilarious to watch