Author Topic: Jerry Sloan out as coach of Jazz  (Read 3740 times)

Description:

Offline Amy pats fan

• P dot Roy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • hashtag trashbag
Jerry Sloan out as coach of Jazz
« Reply #50 on: February 12, 2011, 10:08:36 AM »
lol

I guess you could say D'Antoni brought a new system to the NBA, sort of, but run n' gun had been around in different forms for decades in the NBA, ABA and college ball.  It was out of style in the NBA because the knock was you couldn't win with it.....and well, D'Antoni hasn't really done anything to dispel that myth

Online Brooklyn Zoo

• BZ
  • BZ
« Reply #51 on: February 12, 2011, 10:10:19 AM »
D'Antoni actually runs 1970s eurostyle ABA ball so that's outdated too.

Online Firmino of the 909

• Admin
« Reply #52 on: February 12, 2011, 10:24:55 AM »
Nah, D'Antoni's no defense ever system from the 80's needed a rebirth. I'd call it "new."

koab [8:27 PM]
damn i thought you guys were good little cucks who would shit themselfs so a POC could peacefully protest

• Admin
« Reply #53 on: February 12, 2011, 10:29:01 AM »
Also, yes, the early to mid-90's Jazz were way too good to not make a Finals. All the Malone/Stockton Jazz teams were well balanced and had strong depth throughout their roster. Everyone could chip in points and hard defensive play. They retooled twice before getting in. Both incarnations of the Jazz before retooling probably had more talent than the two that did get in! How isn't that underachieving?

damn i thought you guys were good little cucks who would shit themselfs so a POC could peacefully protest

Offline Wizard of Maz

« Reply #54 on: February 12, 2011, 10:42:10 AM »
http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/UTA/1992.html

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/UTA/1997.html

The only upgrade on the earlier team is Mark Eaton over Ostertag.

You started Jeff Malone and Hornacek gave you everything J. Malone could only with the added bonus that he had the ability to spread the floor with his range.

Going off my memory Blue Edwards started at the SF spot and Russell again gave you everything Blue could with the ability to more consistently knock down the three.

Howard Eisley is light years ahead of Delaney Rudd.

The teams both had balance, but that's due to the system Sloan put into place, and at every spot top to bottom the team was more talented across the board during their runs they actually got to the Finals.

Offline Vitamin X

« Reply #55 on: February 12, 2011, 10:44:38 AM »
The Jazz could never handle Clyde Drexler, that's what. Then they couldn't handle Michael Jordan. They were still a great team and saying they underachieved is kinda dumb. The Trailblazers, Rockets, and Bulls were from top to bottom more well rounded, deep teams with incredible coaching and hall of fame talent for the Jazz to go through. Name a great Jazz player from that time period that isn't Stockton or Malone. Jeff Hornacek? Bryon Russell? Greg fucking Ostertag?

Sloan was a great coach to stick to his strengths in and hide his weaknesses well. And he still stuck around, rebuilt the team, and kept them a playoff team. Even in the three years he missed the playoffs, two of those years he had them at .500 or better.

Offline Wizard of Maz

« Reply #56 on: February 12, 2011, 10:55:12 AM »
Really the only other Hall of Famer I think that might be on the Jazz that played in the 90's is Eaton (and he's borderline).

Offline Amy pats fan

• P dot Roy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • hashtag trashbag
« Reply #57 on: February 12, 2011, 10:58:20 AM »
I see that Maz already kind of made the point, but I went to the trouble to type this so fuck it

Those early 90's teams were basically Karl, Stockton, Jeff Malone and a bunch of indistinguishable role players.  Mark Eaton was on his last legs at that point.  

They lost the WCF in 6 games to the Blazers in 92, a much deeper and more talented team.  

They lost to the Sonics 3-2 in 93, a team that could match up player for player with Stockton/Malone and was also much deeper and more talented with guys like Ricky Pierce, Eddie Johnson, Nate McMillan, Michael Cage and Derrick McKey.

In 94 they improved their roster by bringing in Hornacek and Tom Chambers, made it to the WCF and lost to the eventual champion Rockets 4-1.  I can see the case for underachieving this year in not making it a closer series, but Olajuwon was the best player in the game on both ends of the floor at this point.

95 they lost Jeff Malone and Chambers was basically done, won 60 games anyway, and lost again to the Rockets, 3-2 this time.  This is considered one of their bigger disappointments, but the Rockets were a team that came together after the Drexler trade and stormed into the playoffs.  Rockets had a better team and won the title again.

96 they lost to the Sonics in the WCF in 7.  The Sonics won 64 games that year, were yet again were more talented top to bottom, and gave the 72 win Bulls a run for their money once they decided to put Payton on Jordan

I could go on, but basically they never lost to a team they clearly should have beat.  Almost every team they lost to either went to the finals or won the title.  To call a team underachievers they have to be losing to teams that they are better than.  The Jazz never had great depth in the talent department, it was Stockton, Malone, J Malone/Horny and a bunch of solid role players.  Most of the teams they lost to had players coming off the bench who could have been stars on other teams and/or went on to become all-stars

• Admin
« Reply #58 on: February 12, 2011, 10:59:15 AM »
You don't need three HOF players to win a championship. I'm not anti-Sloan or anything, I'm just saying, those teams were all pretty good and he should have won a championship with one of them.

Online Brooklyn Zoo

• BZ
  • BZ
« Reply #59 on: February 12, 2011, 11:11:32 AM »
But you more or less need a top 3 player. Malone or Stockton were neither.

Offline Wizard of Maz

« Reply #60 on: February 12, 2011, 11:13:59 AM »
They were pretty good, but you are telling me a team that had Blue Edwards as a viable third threat is a Championship level team?

Offline Amy pats fan

• P dot Roy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • hashtag trashbag
« Reply #61 on: February 12, 2011, 03:51:16 PM »
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Amfl9JHSiQ_T2sA7pM1Rhma8vLYF?slug=ap-sloanresignation-malone

“They changed the floor back to old school. They changed the uniform back to old school. Somebody tell the damn players to start playing like old school,”

Karl Malone is awesome.

Offline Mr. S£im Citrus

• Representing Blacks Without Soul since 1975
« Reply #62 on: February 12, 2011, 03:54:18 PM »
I remember hearing him say that during the game last night. I also liked how he basically said, "Not to make this about me, but I'm looking to get into coaching, too."

And, by "liked," I mean, lolwut?

Offline Amy pats fan

• P dot Roy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • hashtag trashbag
« Reply #63 on: February 12, 2011, 03:57:13 PM »
lol, Malone would be a terrible coach

Offline Gert

« Reply #64 on: February 12, 2011, 05:15:38 PM »
Karl would get the players focused on basketball, and have them forget about unimportant details.......like illegitimate kids!

The "95 Jazz was the most disappointing to me, but even then the Rockets won the title, so I don't know where the exact historical perspective can be.

Offline GAYGENT OF OBLIVION

• Go Gators
  • Faded as fuck
« Reply #65 on: February 16, 2011, 11:43:41 PM »
Guys like Sloan aren't the problem with the NBA, players with out of check egos who care more about individuality than the game are.  And I'm not talking about Deron Williams because I don't think he's a bad guy or a villain here at all, but fuck this "new NBA" individual players are more important than the team paradigm.  No matter what era we're in basketball is the same game and it takes the same things to win. 
This x10000000000. It's definitely making the NBA harder and harder to watch and follow.

Wow, I couldn't disagree more. I've cared more about the NBA the past couple season than I have since the Pacers were actually good, and it's based primarily on all the strong personalities and individual talent out there right now.

Offline Ripper

• I'll make your ass sense.
« Reply #66 on: February 17, 2011, 04:02:55 AM »
1: Karl Malone should shut the fuck up. His skill was not getting injured and a midrange jump shot. Fundamentally, most NBA forwards are better than him. He as a choking turnover machine that played no defense. How the fuck are you all time in turnovers at the POWER FORWARD position. The Success's of AK-47, Carlos Boozer, and Paul Milsap kinda exposed Malone as the system forward he was anyway. If oldschool means all the forwards should forget how to dribble, not keep the ball high so everyone can strip it, and have no back to the basket game, then I would rather them not play like Malone's old school.

2: Basketball has been built around the individual since the 60's. You get individuals who are better than the rest, build around them, and play an offense that utilizes their talents. If the Lakers didn't have Magic, they wouldn't have run that offense. If the Celtics didn't have Bird, they wouldn't have drafted some of the players they got to go with that offense and defense. Thats how basketball is built.

Right now Deron Williams has been running a pick and roll team with a guy in Jefferson that isn't suited for the Pick and Roll. I love Sloan, but he should have adjusted or Utah shouldn't have picked up Al Jefferson.

Yes one individual isn't going to win a championship, true, it takes a sum of all the parts, but a individual that you can build around is a prerequisite.

Offline Cool, Bad, & Handsome

• KOAB
« Reply #67 on: February 26, 2011, 10:19:49 AM »
I don't understand why they got rid of Sloan if they were going to trade Deron anyway.

Also since all of this went down Hayward has started to slash more towards the basket and he's throwing it down with some power. I didn't know he had it in him and it doesn't look as awkward as I thought it would.

Offline Byron The Bulp

• Byron the bulb
  • Byron the bulb
« Reply #68 on: February 26, 2011, 10:23:38 AM »
Ripper ethering Karl Malone at every available opportunity is one of my favorite sports folder things

Offline Amy pats fan

• P dot Roy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • hashtag trashbag
Re: Jerry Sloan out as coach of Jazz
« Reply #69 on: July 24, 2019, 08:11:03 AM »
Ripper ethering Karl Malone at every available opportunity is one of my favorite sports folder things

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #70 on: July 24, 2019, 08:38:02 AM »
Was thinking he died with this bumped because I had just read recently he doesn’t go out in public anymore due to his rapidly declining health
[img width=800

Fan: WHY CAN REY BEAT BIG GUYS BUT NOT KIDMAN
Kevin Nash: Kidman wears a wife beater

Offline Smues

• Admin
  • Smuesicide
« Reply #71 on: July 24, 2019, 12:48:28 PM »
Ripper or Jerry Sloan?
I want Jimmy Fallon to be dead. That doesn't make me a bad person.

Offline AA484

• CXF Writer
« Reply #72 on: July 24, 2019, 01:01:13 PM »
Lol

Offline cobainwasmurdered

• Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #73 on: July 24, 2019, 01:10:02 PM »

If you're going to bump old as fuck threads you need to actually have something to say (like when 909 bumped the american beauty thread) we don't need to go back to you bumping old threads all over the place.

• KOAB
« Reply #74 on: July 24, 2019, 01:14:33 PM »
You don't need three HOF players to win a championship. I'm not anti-Sloan or anything, I'm just saying, those teams were all pretty good and he should have won a championship with one of them.

idk history disagrees

• KOAB
« Reply #75 on: July 24, 2019, 01:15:12 PM »
WTF THIS THREAD IS OLD

Offline Amy pats fan

• P dot Roy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • hashtag trashbag
« Reply #76 on: July 25, 2019, 05:46:03 AM »

If you're going to bump old as fuck threads you need to actually have something to say (like when 909 bumped the american beauty thread) we don't need to go back to you bumping old threads all over the place.

I don't plan on making it a habit again......but NBA news is kind of dead right now and I thought looking back at an old thread would be fun.  Also, I miss Ripper shitting on Karl Malone every chance he got.....