Author Topic: Pre-NFL Draft Talk  (Read 7042 times)

Description:

Offline Firmino of the 909

• Admin
Pre-NFL Draft Talk
« on: April 03, 2009, 09:08:37 AM »
USC LB’s Brian Cushing & Clay Matthews tested positive for steroids at the NFL Scouting Combine, according to various sources, including one NFL team. Boston College DT BJ Raji, Illinois CB Vontae Davis & Florida WR Percy Harvin tested positive for marijuana at the combine, according to various sources, including one NFL team.

koab [8:27 PM]
damn i thought you guys were good little cucks who would shit themselfs so a POC could peacefully protest

Offline the pinjockey

Pre-NFL Draft Talk
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 03:44:45 PM »
So has anyone seen confirmation of this anywhere yet?  I heard the guy who runs the site that "broke" this and he sounded just this side of drunk (to be kind).  Given that I haven't seen anyone reputable back it up yet makes me lean towards hoax for now.

If the legit sites know about Raji at this point, how would they not know about these other guys?

Offline Harley Quinn

• Laugh this off... puddin'!
  • Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
Pre-NFL Draft Talk
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2009, 03:41:55 AM »
Everything I've read/seen basically says it's unconfirmed/probably a hoax.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/04/03/league-others-refute-report-of-positive-drug-tests/

There it says this: "However, an NFL spokesman refuted that report Friday, saying “neither the 32 clubs nor the league office know the results of drug or steroid tests taken at the 2009 Combine." which doesn't exactly dispel that the above is the truth.

Also here's a list of draft sites for people to get their fixes...
NFL Draft Countdown (Brief Strengths/Weaknesses)
Draft Daddy Blog (Pro Day Results/Misc.)
Ourlads looks at the NFL Combine and correlation to success
Draft Guys (Prospect Video Comments)
Football's Future (Brief Strengths/Weaknesses)

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
Pre-NFL Draft Talk
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 02:26:55 AM »
Looks like Cincinnati could be targeting RB Knowshon Moreno.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/content/oh/story/sports/pro/bengals/2009/04/06/ddn040609spbigconweb.html

University of Georgia redshirt sophomore sensation Knowshon Moreno is a player long believed to be high on the team's list.

That being said Moreno will be in Cincinnati to meet with the organization today, April 6.

Offline Edwin

• Smash and bang is my favorite combination
Pre-NFL Draft Talk
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2009, 05:36:42 AM »
Are they thinking he'd fall to them in the 2nd round, or that they can trade down a bit?  I feel like they'd be nuts to take him at #6, given how completely and utterly pathetic their offensive line is right now.  Gave up 51 sacks last year!  Sure, plenty of that is on Fitzpatrick, but they were just terrible.  No push for the run at all either, until the last few games of the year when Benson was running 35 times a game.  I guess there may still be some good tackles at #38 since there's so much depth at the position this year, but that team has bigger holes than at RB.

Offline the pinjockey

Pre-NFL Draft Talk
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2009, 05:44:41 AM »
I would hope it is with an eye towards the #38 pick.  In this RB crop there isn't anyone worth a top 10 pick and with the depth of it no reason to reach for one.  And if they want a OT, it will have to be at #6.  With the recent trends of the draft, I don't think Britton or Beatty survive until #38 (see Sam Baker and Duane Brown from last year).

That said, this is the Bengals.

Online Gert

Pre-NFL Draft Talk
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2009, 08:02:37 AM »
If the Bengals want Moreno they can trade up from #38 to about 25-27 if they want him. I really do not see him going higher than that.

I am mad that Andre Smith's lack of sanity occurred as I always like Monroe ahead of Smith & Smith, but with Andre going nuts, I am guessing that Eugene will be gone now before the Bengals pick at #6.

Offline Obi Chris Kenobi

• Citizen 128
  • Personal Text goes here, Venkman
    • legitshook
Pre-NFL Draft Talk
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2009, 08:10:13 AM »
Isn't this the year with the Road Warrior's Son?

Online Gert

Pre-NFL Draft Talk
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2009, 08:13:23 AM »
Here is an interesting write-up on a prospect....... (with a couple deletions based on position)

Strengths:
Prototypical height and bulk...Smooth and fluid with top-notch athleticism...Excellent speed...Strong with a muscular physique...Tough and physical...Decent hands and ball skills...Capable of excelling in either man or zone coverage...May offer some positional versatility...Solid return man and special teamer...Durable...Has lots of experience against top competition...Nice bloodlines..Major upside.

Weaknesses:
Has clashed with coaches and does not take instruction well...Poor work ethic...Inconsistent...Motor runs hot and cold...Questionable instincts and awareness...Gambles and takes too many unnecessary risks...Doesn't make as many plays as he should...Struggles with the mental aspects of the game...Skates by on his natural talent...Full of himself and reads his own press clippings.

Is this a scouting report on:

or

Online Gert

Pre-NFL Draft Talk
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2009, 08:14:48 AM »
Yes, Laurinitis is a senior this year and I see him going between 18-35 depending on a team's defensive scheme.

Offline Obi Chris Kenobi

• Citizen 128
  • Personal Text goes here, Venkman
    • legitshook
Pre-NFL Draft Talk
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2009, 08:15:39 AM »
So with the Dante Stallworth incident will the Browns be going for a WR?

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
Pre-NFL Draft Talk
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2009, 09:26:42 AM »
I can see Laurinaitis doing really well in a 3-4 LB scheme where he can go sideline to sideline and play the run a bit as an ILB.  He doesn't seem to have the speed in my eyes to be an OLB or MLB in a 4-3 scheme but has great awareness and is quick to join the group so to speak when a RB is in the area.  He also has enough speed to help on coverage but may be more of a liability there.

Upside: 3-4 ILB similar to a Tedy Bruschi
Downside: 2 Down SLB in a 4-3 Scheme or Backup MLB in a 4-3 Scheme

Offline MFer

• The Future Has Arrived
  • Admin
Pre-NFL Draft Talk
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2009, 12:12:53 PM »
I've read that Lauranitis was actually the best pure 4-3 MLB prospect (could be a nice pick for the Lions at #33), with Maualuga possibly being a better fit for the 3-4.

Offline Saints_Fan_H

Pre-NFL Draft Talk
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2009, 12:43:29 PM »
If the Saints go with anything outside of a defensive pick in the first round, I will strongly consider writing them out of my life. I doubt I actually WILL do that, but I'll be peeved a great deal.

I'm curious to see if Detroit trades down. The problem is figuring out who will trade with them. Maybe Denver with their 2 first round picks?

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
Pre-NFL Draft Talk
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2009, 01:21:00 PM »
I've read that Lauranitis was actually the best pure 4-3 MLB prospect (could be a nice pick for the Lions at #33), with Maualuga possibly being a better fit for the 3-4.

Laurinaitis is supposedly ideal for the 4-3 because he has great agility (can go sideline to sideline) but where he struggles is with his straight line speed and the fact that he struggles at times to shed blockers.  He doesn't play as physical as his size belies.  He's gotten compared to Dan Connor who's been less than amazing when he has been healthy.

Brian Urlacher ran a sub 4.6 40 at the NFL Combine.  Laurinaitis has run 40's of 4.72, 4.75, and 4.80.  Not exactly blazing fast so I question whether he has the ability to make open field tackles or chase down RBs without resorting to padding his numbers with assists.

Offline Kahran Ramsus

Pre-NFL Draft Talk
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2009, 09:20:16 AM »
BJ Raji apparently did not fail a drug test after all.  This now makes three players who reported as testing positive at the Combine that the NFL has now had to apologize to.  What is going on here?

Offline MFer

• The Future Has Arrived
  • Admin
Pre-NFL Draft Talk
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2009, 09:25:32 AM »
Some hack website's just making up stuff to get more hits and now they may pay for it in the form of a lawsuit from the accused players and their lawyers. That's pretty much what's going on here.

Online Gert

Pre-NFL Draft Talk
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2009, 05:49:32 PM »
I think the bottom line like people have mentioned before is that Detroit will probably not find a suitor to take that No. 1 pick.

I think it is still Stafford and the Lions are liking them a little bit more each day.

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
Pre-NFL Draft Talk
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2009, 05:30:15 AM »
NFL.com has their prospect analysis up for players.

The QBs

Offline EHME

• I'm trying to win coach. I ain't trying to disrespect nobody, but winning is the only thing I respect.
Pre-NFL Draft Talk
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2009, 05:34:37 AM »
Damn, I didn't know Josh Freeman was that big! 6'6" and 250lbs!

naiwf

Pre-NFL Draft Talk
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2009, 06:03:01 AM »
Some of the people on WFAN were speculating that Detroit may just let the clock expire without picking someone and then draft whoever they wanted later on in an intentional repeat of the historic Vikings debacles. I don't know if there's any truth to the rumor, but it would make a complete mockery of the draft if the team with the # 1 pick decided to try and pass up taking the pick for monetary reasons.

Online Brooklyn Zoo

• BZ
  • BZ
Pre-NFL Draft Talk
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2009, 12:14:50 PM »
The Lions need to be put on auto-draft.

Offline Kahran Ramsus

Pre-NFL Draft Talk
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2009, 12:43:44 PM »
Some of the people on WFAN were speculating that Detroit may just let the clock expire without picking someone and then draft whoever they wanted later on in an intentional repeat of the historic Vikings debacles. I don't know if there's any truth to the rumor, but it would make a complete mockery of the draft if the team with the # 1 pick decided to try and pass up taking the pick for monetary reasons.

It would also lead to a mega holdout by whoever they do pick.  It is just a bad idea all around.

Offline Bored

• Boreding Hard
Pre-NFL Draft Talk
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2009, 02:08:51 PM »
NFL teams are using phony Facebook profiles of hot, young coeds to find out secrets of NFL Draft prospects. No, seriously.

One NFC North coach said his team has gotten particularly adept at collecting information from networking sites.

Time to speculate which coach this is and what "tactics" they are using to get information.

Online Brooklyn Zoo

• BZ
  • BZ
Pre-NFL Draft Talk
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2009, 02:12:32 PM »
"I knew Lovie wasn't a girl!"

Online Cool, Bad, & Handsome

• KOAB
Pre-NFL Draft Talk
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2009, 02:26:30 PM »
It's that schmuck Childress.

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
Pre-NFL Draft Talk
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2009, 02:07:14 AM »
The interesting thing is that they could get into legal trouble for doing this as well, after what happened to the girl who committed suicide over the phony facebook account.

Offline Kotzenjunge

• looptid
  • Kotzenjunge
    • A site I wrote.
Pre-NFL Draft Talk
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2009, 07:50:10 AM »
The NFC North team is probably Green Bay. One of the perks of having the youngest team in the league I guess.

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
Pre-NFL Draft Talk
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2009, 03:42:07 AM »
The one I-AA guy I want to see get drafted and do well is UMass QB Liam Coen who's projected for the 6th or 7th Round.  He's largely viewed as a smart, cerebral QB with good enough NFL arm strength, played a pro style offense but can make risky decisions at times.  So it's good to hear that there's some interest for him.

Josh Buchanan, of NFLDraftBible.com, reports Massachusetts QB Liam Coen has attracted interest from the San Francisco 49ers, Atlanta Falcons, Houston Texans, and New York Giants.

Offline CanadianChris

• Retired.
Pre-NFL Draft Talk
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2009, 04:40:44 AM »
I'm curious to see if Detroit trades down. The problem is figuring out who will trade with them. Maybe Denver with their 2 first round picks?

No chance of that, Denver doesn't want to pay the salary of a #1 overall pick.  That's why Detroit was never really in the discussion for Cutler.

Offline 2GOLD

Pre-NFL Draft Talk
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2009, 04:57:54 AM »

It would also lead to a mega holdout by whoever they do pick.  It is just a bad idea all around.

So the Lions will do it.

Offline teke184

Pre-NFL Draft Talk
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2009, 05:39:35 AM »
If the Saints go with anything outside of a defensive pick in the first round, I will strongly consider writing them out of my life. I doubt I actually WILL do that, but I'll be peeved a great deal.

Depends on what they do...

I want them to trade down because they need additional picks and, besides that, they can still pick up useful players later in the first. 

(They need OLBs and a Safety for sure. 

I'm not sure if they need a CB since Tracy Porter was great as a rookie before breaking his wrist and a lot of Bills fans were upset to lose Jabari Greer to us.  Malcolm Jenkins would be acceptable, though, since he's seen as a "tweener" between CB and Safety due to perceived slow speed.)

I can see taking an RB like Beanie Wells *IF* we can't trade down and there's no one left we really want at that spot, but I'd prefer not to go there if possible.

If we take Jeremy Maclin, I'll request that the entire front office go in for mandatory drug testing since Brees has proven he can make the fucking hot-dog vendor into a good WR and we've got a bunch of other holes to fill instead. 

(Lance Moore, Marques Colston, and other receivers we've had over the past few years tended to be late-round picks or castoffs from other teams.  Speedsters Devery Henderson and Robert Meachem have been the two high-round WRs and we can't even get Meachem on the damn field because he's not a Top 3 WR and doesn't do special teams.)
It's hard to make comparisons since Auburn is replacing a lot of production on defense and LSU's unit is apparently composed of half human/half swamp mutant hybrids who spit diesel fuel and long to hear the terrified screams of small children.

Offline Czech

• Boardrunner Emeritus
Pre-NFL Draft Talk
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2009, 06:33:47 AM »
NFL teams are using phony Facebook profiles of hot, young coeds to find out secrets of NFL Draft prospects. No, seriously.

One NFC North coach said his team has gotten particularly adept at collecting information from networking sites.

Time to speculate which coach this is and what "tactics" they are using to get information.
25 RANDOM THINGS ABOUT ME
1. We come off the bus running
2. We went away from the run because they'll stop that eventually
3. The scheme is fine
4. Rex is our quarterback
5. Rex is our quarterback
6. Rex is our quarterback
7. Rex is our quarterback
8. Rex is our quarterback
9. Rex is our quarterback
10. Rex is our quarterback
11. Rex is our quarterback
12. Rex is our quarterback

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
Pre-NFL Draft Talk
« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2009, 09:34:04 AM »
http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFLDraft/Draft+Extras/2009/wwhi040909.htm

Just found this and really legit interesting stuff in regards to just how much more the scouts/evaluators know than the average NFL fan.  Below is the most interesting segment.

PFW polled five high-level league executives, asking them to rank five players with suspect track records — (listed alphabetically) Texas Tech WR Michael Crabtree, Illinois CB Vontae Davis, Florida WR Percy Harvin, USC ILB Rey Maualuga and Boston College DT B.J. Raji — in the order in which character is most likely to be a negative factor in the pros. All participants were granted anonymity in exchange for honesty.

One top-ranking official, who said he would not draft any of them, compared the exercise to trying to decide between whether he’d rather eat cow manure, drink monkey urine, or ingest rabbit turds. None of the choices seemed attractive enough to place one over the other, and, it should be noted, not all felt strongly that character would be an issue that would prevent them from drafting the following players or affect their ability to succeed in the pros. Teams with strong locker rooms, veteran leadership and consistent, demanding coaches may be able to better tolerate concerns.

More specific details on these players are included in Pro Football Weekly’s 2009 Draft Preview than what is included below, and much is best left unsaid, but following are the results of how teams rated the greatest risk concerns.

1) WR Percy Harvin, Florida (Jr.)
The first player mentioned by all five executives, Harvin is the clear-cut favorite in this year’s draft class to find trouble after receiving a giant payday. He was very competitive at Florida, even battling through a broken bone in his foot that was publicly referred to as a sprained ankle, helping the Gators win two national championships the past three years. The mention of character concerns about Harvin drew outrage from ardent supporters of Gator Nation after PFW’s 2009 Draft Guide was released. Nonetheless, one executive said Harvin would have to slip to the fourth round for him to consider rolling the dice on Harvin's character. Two others said they would not entertain the idea of drafting him at any price. Coachability, a posse of hangers-on, his lack of respect for authority and drug usage made Harvin a unanimous selection to become a repeated problem in the pros.

2) WR Michael Crabtree, Texas Tech (Soph.-3)
Crabtree may not have a laundry list of arrests, but his ego is abnormally large to the point where he repeatedly demeaned training staff, his work ethic has been described as “marginal at best,” and his intelligence and ability to handle success remain major question marks. One thorough evaluator compared Crabtree’s mental makeup to that of former LSU and Buccaneers 2004 15th overall pick Michael Clayton, who made a big splash in the NFL as a rookie before going on to average 31 catches, 378 yards and a half-TD catch each of the past four years as he lost focus, bought into the hype and stopped working at his craft the way young receivers must do to be great. Crabtree's competitiveness noticeably stands out on tape, and he did play through injury last season. However, when the Red Raiders were getting whipped by better competition (Oklahoma and Mississippi) during the final two games of the season, Crabtree did not finish either game. After he gets a taste of success in the pros, evaluators are not confident he will be able to handle the trappings of the pro game.

3) ILB Rey Maualuga, USC
Football is clearly very important to him, and he has endearingly been described as a “war daddy” by evaluators, but questions remain about his maturity, accountability, trustworthiness, intelligence and ability to responsibly handle alcohol. His coaches publicly have contended that he has matured greatly, but some of his actions have continued to suggest otherwise. One executive said he had positioned Maualuga just far enough down in the first round so that he would not be considered with the team’s first pick, hoping he would be gone by the time the second pick came around. Another evaluator said he did not envision Maualuga’s position on his team’s draft board being altered based on his character but, when pressed as to whether he would draft Maualuga in the top 10, said the pick would be “too scary.”

4) CB Vontae Davis, Illinois (Jr.)
Outside of being demoted several times throughout his career, in the spring and in the fall, Davis may not seem like he has a lot of issues on the surface — with no noted arrests or incidents that scream “problem.” However, his team interviews have been received very poorly, raising questions about his mental instability, lack of maturity and intelligence issues that clearly show up on tape consistently. He was regularly in the coaches’ doghouse, is very difficult to manage, does not respond well to coaching and may never easily blend into a locker room, as he beats to his own drum.

5) DT B.J. Raji, Boston College
Defensive tackles may need to be held to a different standard, with the modern-day widebody not needed to play as many snaps in the pros as most are asked to play in college, where fewer schools rotate their defensive linemen the way NFL teams tend to do. In a league where extra mass is rewarded and girth is a big plus defending the run, not all teams even penalize their linemen for not being able to control their weight. However, Raji’s work habits, intelligence and overall maturity, including at least one verified failed drug test, were distractions in college, especially early on, and several executives said they would not be willing to invest a first-round pick in a player with so many questions. Among the aforementioned five players with concerns, however, Raji drew the least criticism because of the improved maturity he showed as a senior after a clerical error cost him his junior season.

Others who could be affected by character issues:

WR Brandon Tate, North Carolina
WR Hakeem Nicks, North Carolina
OT Michael Oher, Mississippi
TE Travis Beckum, Wisconsin
LB Dannell Ellerbe, Georgia

Offline Kahran Ramsus

Pre-NFL Draft Talk
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2009, 10:12:57 AM »

No chance of that, Denver doesn't want to pay the salary of a #1 overall pick.  That's why Detroit was never really in the discussion for Cutler.

Pick #9 though might be a different story, with the Packers sitting right in front of San Fran (who most experts have picking Mark Sanchez).  If they can get a good package, I'd be all for the Packers trading down for more picks and the #9 pick isn't nearly as toxic as the #1 in terms of guaranteed money.

Offline Next USC #55

• Back In Style
Pre-NFL Draft Talk
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2009, 11:06:04 AM »
I doubt the #9 pick is worth the #12 and #18 picks, but I'm sure it could work for the #12 OR #18 pick and whatever Denver's 3rd overall pick is, if it's a second or third rounder.

Online Cool, Bad, & Handsome

• KOAB
Pre-NFL Draft Talk
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2009, 11:23:28 AM »
http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFLDraft/Draft+Extras/2009/wwhi040909.htm

Just found this and really legit interesting stuff in regards to just how much more the scouts/evaluators know than the average NFL fan.  Below is the most interesting segment.

PFW polled five high-level league executives, asking them to rank five players with suspect track records — (listed alphabetically) Texas Tech WR Michael Crabtree, Illinois CB Vontae Davis, Florida WR Percy Harvin, USC ILB Rey Maualuga and Boston College DT B.J. Raji — in the order in which character is most likely to be a negative factor in the pros. All participants were granted anonymity in exchange for honesty.

One top-ranking official, who said he would not draft any of them, compared the exercise to trying to decide between whether he’d rather eat cow manure, drink monkey urine, or ingest rabbit turds. None of the choices seemed attractive enough to place one over the other, and, it should be noted, not all felt strongly that character would be an issue that would prevent them from drafting the following players or affect their ability to succeed in the pros. Teams with strong locker rooms, veteran leadership and consistent, demanding coaches may be able to better tolerate concerns.

More specific details on these players are included in Pro Football Weekly’s 2009 Draft Preview than what is included below, and much is best left unsaid, but following are the results of how teams rated the greatest risk concerns.

1) WR Percy Harvin, Florida (Jr.)
The first player mentioned by all five executives, Harvin is the clear-cut favorite in this year’s draft class to find trouble after receiving a giant payday. He was very competitive at Florida, even battling through a broken bone in his foot that was publicly referred to as a sprained ankle, helping the Gators win two national championships the past three years. The mention of character concerns about Harvin drew outrage from ardent supporters of Gator Nation after PFW’s 2009 Draft Guide was released. Nonetheless, one executive said Harvin would have to slip to the fourth round for him to consider rolling the dice on Harvin's character. Two others said they would not entertain the idea of drafting him at any price. Coachability, a posse of hangers-on, his lack of respect for authority and drug usage made Harvin a unanimous selection to become a repeated problem in the pros.

2) WR Michael Crabtree, Texas Tech (Soph.-3)
Crabtree may not have a laundry list of arrests, but his ego is abnormally large to the point where he repeatedly demeaned training staff, his work ethic has been described as “marginal at best,” and his intelligence and ability to handle success remain major question marks. One thorough evaluator compared Crabtree’s mental makeup to that of former LSU and Buccaneers 2004 15th overall pick Michael Clayton, who made a big splash in the NFL as a rookie before going on to average 31 catches, 378 yards and a half-TD catch each of the past four years as he lost focus, bought into the hype and stopped working at his craft the way young receivers must do to be great. Crabtree's competitiveness noticeably stands out on tape, and he did play through injury last season. However, when the Red Raiders were getting whipped by better competition (Oklahoma and Mississippi) during the final two games of the season, Crabtree did not finish either game. After he gets a taste of success in the pros, evaluators are not confident he will be able to handle the trappings of the pro game.

3) ILB Rey Maualuga, USC
Football is clearly very important to him, and he has endearingly been described as a “war daddy” by evaluators, but questions remain about his maturity, accountability, trustworthiness, intelligence and ability to responsibly handle alcohol. His coaches publicly have contended that he has matured greatly, but some of his actions have continued to suggest otherwise. One executive said he had positioned Maualuga just far enough down in the first round so that he would not be considered with the team’s first pick, hoping he would be gone by the time the second pick came around. Another evaluator said he did not envision Maualuga’s position on his team’s draft board being altered based on his character but, when pressed as to whether he would draft Maualuga in the top 10, said the pick would be “too scary.”

4) CB Vontae Davis, Illinois (Jr.)
Outside of being demoted several times throughout his career, in the spring and in the fall, Davis may not seem like he has a lot of issues on the surface — with no noted arrests or incidents that scream “problem.” However, his team interviews have been received very poorly, raising questions about his mental instability, lack of maturity and intelligence issues that clearly show up on tape consistently. He was regularly in the coaches’ doghouse, is very difficult to manage, does not respond well to coaching and may never easily blend into a locker room, as he beats to his own drum.

5) DT B.J. Raji, Boston College
Defensive tackles may need to be held to a different standard, with the modern-day widebody not needed to play as many snaps in the pros as most are asked to play in college, where fewer schools rotate their defensive linemen the way NFL teams tend to do. In a league where extra mass is rewarded and girth is a big plus defending the run, not all teams even penalize their linemen for not being able to control their weight. However, Raji’s work habits, intelligence and overall maturity, including at least one verified failed drug test, were distractions in college, especially early on, and several executives said they would not be willing to invest a first-round pick in a player with so many questions. Among the aforementioned five players with concerns, however, Raji drew the least criticism because of the improved maturity he showed as a senior after a clerical error cost him his junior season.

Others who could be affected by character issues:

WR Brandon Tate, North Carolina
WR Hakeem Nicks, North Carolina
OT Michael Oher, Mississippi
TE Travis Beckum, Wisconsin
LB Dannell Ellerbe, Georgia

Let's take bets on which one of these players the Raiders pick in the 1st round. Should be a fun game

Offline Next USC #55

• Back In Style
Pre-NFL Draft Talk
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2009, 11:24:29 AM »
It sounds like the Raiders would take either Crabtree or Raji.

Offline Saints_Fan_H

Pre-NFL Draft Talk
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2009, 11:32:08 AM »
is there anyone from the Duke FOOTBALL team that is a draft candidate?

Paulus Works Out For Packers

Duke basketball player Greg Paulus reportedly worked out for Green Bay Packers officials in recent days at the school's Durham, N.C., campus.

The Wisconsin State Journal reported Monday night that the workout occurred "a couple of days ago."

The workout was first disclosed Monday in a report by the website profootballtalk.

Paulus was a high school all-American as a quarterback in Syracuse, N.Y., but opted to play college basketball as a point guard at Duke.

http://views.washingtonpost.com/theleague/nflnewsfeed/2009/04/paulus-works-out-for-packers.html

Sad when you have a basketball player getting more hype.

(I am 100% fully aware that this isn't close at all to the first basketball player to make the transition.)

Offline teke184

Pre-NFL Draft Talk
« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2009, 07:00:09 AM »
It's apparently been confirmed that Percy Harvin flunked a drug test at the combine for pot.

This likely drops him from being a mid-1st to being a late-1st / early-2nd pick because there are so many good WRs in the draft this year.

Also, the "Braylon Edwards to the Giants" talk has heated up, with expectations being that the Browns swing a deal before the draft, or at least before the Giants' pick at the end of the 1st (around #29, IIRC).
It's hard to make comparisons since Auburn is replacing a lot of production on defense and LSU's unit is apparently composed of half human/half swamp mutant hybrids who spit diesel fuel and long to hear the terrified screams of small children.

Offline Vitamin X

Pre-NFL Draft Talk
« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2009, 11:46:31 AM »
but questions remain about his maturity, accountability, trustworthiness, intelligence and ability to responsibly handle alcohol.
Shouldn't this apply to just about ANYONE coming out of college, football player or not?

Offline Next USC #55

• Back In Style
Pre-NFL Draft Talk
« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2009, 11:48:58 AM »
I don't think the Bears would benefit from taking Percy Harvin because of his height, but the team that DOES get Harvin will be very grateful in five years.

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
Pre-NFL Draft Talk
« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2009, 12:03:47 PM »
but questions remain about his maturity, accountability, trustworthiness, intelligence and ability to responsibly handle alcohol.
Shouldn't this apply to just about ANYONE coming out of college, football player or not?

Probably but this is going to be their job/profession and they're being paid at least 6 figures, some guys getting a million dollars or so.  If you're hiring for your job and you find out he's a heavy alcoholic, it'd be reasonable to pass over him for the clean hard worker who's slightly below the first guy.

Why should the NFL be any different in that regard?  Look at guys like Charles Rogers for Detroit.  A guy who has baggage and fucks it up, can easily set your team back 2-3 seasons.  For every Randy Moss, there's about 4 or 5 guys who turn into a Charles Rogers.  Also note that Moss fell to the late 1st too and largely only got taken by Minnesota because Denny Green was there and had known Moss since childhood.

Offline the pinjockey

Pre-NFL Draft Talk
« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2009, 12:07:39 PM »
Sounds an awful lot like what the talk was about DeSean Jackson last year (minus the pot talk).

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
Pre-NFL Draft Talk
« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2009, 12:15:22 PM »
And DeSean was arguably more remembered for the endzone gaffe against Dallas than the fact that he was explosive as a rookie WR.  Interestingly, he was taken in the 2nd Round (#49 overall) and was the 7th WR overall selected.

Offline the pinjockey

Pre-NFL Draft Talk
« Reply #45 on: April 15, 2009, 12:22:50 PM »
The thing probably hurting him more than Jackson is the depth of the class.  Why take the chance on Harvin when you have:
Crabtree/Maclin/Britt/DHB/Nicks/Robieske (since he seems to be the new hot name)

compared to the 2008 class of Devin Thomas/Limas Sweed/etc.

I wouldn't mind seeing Harvin drop far enough that the Eagles can pick him up after the 28th pick (maybe a trade up in the second).  I think him/Jackson/Westbrook on the field at the same time could be interesting.  Plus, assuming they get him after the two 1s, they would have addressed other positions so you can take a risk on the guy.

Offline Next USC #55

• Back In Style
Pre-NFL Draft Talk
« Reply #46 on: April 15, 2009, 12:32:16 PM »
Harvin has proven he can take a snap directly. He's too good of a versatile weapon to let a marijuana positive test drop him off teams' boards.

Online Gert

Pre-NFL Draft Talk
« Reply #47 on: April 15, 2009, 02:56:50 PM »
Here is a link to the draft value chart that people were talking about earlier (this does not include compensatory picks)

http://www.draftcountdown.com/features/Value-Chart.php

Looking at the chart, the Broncos probably don't have to give up 12 and 18 to get between 6-9 to get Sanchez.

As a Bengals fan I would love to make a deal with Denver for 12 and 48 for the 6th pick, especially if Monroe, Smith, Crabtree and Curry are all off of the board by then.

Offline oldskool

• DO IT with your female best friend ROCKAPELLA
  • CXF Writer
  • oldskool
Pre-NFL Draft Talk
« Reply #48 on: April 15, 2009, 07:09:38 PM »
I don't think the Bears would benefit from taking Percy Harvin because of his height, but the team that DOES get Harvin will be very grateful in five years.
They'll be very grateful when his rookie contract expires? That's not very nice.

Offline Next USC #55

• Back In Style
Pre-NFL Draft Talk
« Reply #49 on: April 15, 2009, 07:18:03 PM »
Nice one!

Well, I meant when the whole "Oh I get the playbook!" sense kicked in. It usually takes receivers a few seasons to truly break out. I was counting on that sort of grace period with Harvin.