Author Topic: :: SKYRIM :: The Elder Scrolls V (11.11.11)  (Read 27313 times)

Description:

Offline no fact, no matter

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
:: SKYRIM :: The Elder Scrolls V (11.11.11)
« on: February 24, 2011, 02:56:46 AM »
New Trailer!

You should probably put your bandit hat on now.

Offline Mik

• Lightswitch Rave!
    • Neville Longbottom
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 04:23:37 AM »
As of now this is the only game I'm looking forward to in the fall/winter. Hopefully that changes.
Show loose women what I'm workin' with.

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 04:39:48 AM »
Uncharted 3? Or wait, you're not on PS3 are you?

I'm seriously psyched for this. I had a hard time getting into Oblivion by the time I bought it, mainly because of the engine.. but this.. this looks astounding. I'm assuming, based on a few frames in that trailer, that they kept the ability to switch between third and first person views. I really liked that feature.

Offline Mik

• Lightswitch Rave!
    • Neville Longbottom
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 08:44:57 AM »
No I'm on Xbox. I agree, this looks great. Bout time we get a new engine.

Offline Edwin

• Smash and bang is my favorite combination
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 08:49:19 AM »
This and Mass Effect 3 probably coming out within a few weeks of each other is going to vaporize my life.

Offline muzzington

• Unbesiegbar
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2011, 09:54:42 AM »
They'll vaporize my eyes first.

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2011, 05:23:15 AM »
If this new engine is as solid as they claim, I hope its used for whatever comes next in the Fallout franchise.

Offline GAYGENT OF OBLIVION

• Go Gators
  • Faded as fuck
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2011, 11:32:00 PM »

Epic as fuck. First day purchase.

Offline Edwin

• Smash and bang is my favorite combination
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2011, 08:34:06 AM »
I have a friend working on this, too.  I wish my RPG friends didn't have as much reverence to their NDAs as they do  :'( 

Offline Mik

• Lightswitch Rave!
    • Neville Longbottom
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2011, 02:56:35 AM »
Every time I see additional screens for this I can't help but think it will be the greatest game I've ever played.

Hope I'm not hyping it up too much in my head but I really see no way it can't deliver.

Offline CletusVanDamme

• BlackFlagg
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2011, 02:16:45 AM »

Offline Mik

• Lightswitch Rave!
    • Neville Longbottom
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2011, 02:33:28 AM »
I wasn't aware of the story. And that amps me up even more. Dragons will be terrifying to encounter. The fact that you can encounter them randomly but you can see them from far away and avoid is outstanding.

Plus, perks like Fallout?

God. I can't wait.

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2011, 06:53:33 AM »
Holy shit I can't wait, either. Speaking of  "Epic Epicness" and what deserves that term.. I think we can throw Skyrim in there, too..

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/04/18/20-best-things-about-skyrim/

20 Reasons To Be Excited About Skyrim
By Alec Meer on April 18th, 2011 at 15:02

Well, there’s an awful lot more than 20 reasons to be helplessly nerding out about the next Elder Scrolls game, but a nice round number is a good place to start, right? Let me be clear: I love Morrowind, quite like Oblivion and really didn’t get on with Fallout 3. I am what you might call a doubter. Nonetheless, I am impossibly excited about Skyrim, having recently been shown an hour of it (and listened to a bonus hour of lead dev Todd Howard answering questions about it). Here are just a few reasons why…

1. Killing a dragon involves knocking the enormous thing out of the sky, with a combination of arrows, magic and whatever else you can think of. When you do, it crashes to earth like a meteorite, its huge body skidding along the ground in front of you with a sense of weight and speed that would kill anyone caught in it. Even then, the beast rises to its feet and takes another pop at you – moving along by walking on the tips of its visibly damaged wings. When you do finally slay the thing, you absorb its soul. This involves the dragon essentially catching fire from within, reducing down to a scorched skeleton the size of shed.

2. A new questing system means randomly-generated stories. If you’re sent on a quest to rescue a kid from a dungeon, though the nuts and bolts of the plot might be pre-written, the game will pick and choose characters and locations from what’s nearby and relevant, rather than have every player retrieve the same kind from the same dungeon. More so than ever, no-one will play the same game.

3. While the game’s pretty much the same size of Oblivion in terms of land mass, the inclusion of huge mountains – all of which you can climb to the top of, as well as often venturing within – means Skyrim has significantly more world to explore than its predecessor. “They create more time because you can’t just cut across them,” says Todd Howard.

4. The menus are pure sex, basically. The crisp, floating text, tiered menus and full 3D renderings of every inventory item is light years ahead of the fugly boxes and fuzzy, endless lists of Oblivion and Fallout 3. Seriously: these may be the best-looking in-game menus in history.

5. While in Oblivion dungeons were primarily designed by art staff, this time around they’re built by a new raft of level designers, which promise a more engaging flow and diversity to each. There are over 120 dungeons in the game, plus many more smaller points of interest and encounters.

6. For a dragon, combat is debate. When it’s breathing fire at you, it’s talking at you in power-words, or Shouts. Your part in the discussion is to Shout back…

7. The world is so much more alive. You’ll see packs of wolves hunting mammoths, you’ll see fearsome beasts such as giants wander by without bothering you because they’re off on other business rather than being mindless killers, you’ll see friendly passers-by running up to you with a sword you dropped earlier and offering to return it – or taking a pop at you with it if they have some reason to despise you.

8. Conversations with NPCs no longer involves an awkward zoom-in to their strange faces, a fixed perspective and an ugly text box. Now, it’s clean, sharp text floating directly onto the screen, and you’re free to look around as you please. Much of the incidental conversation, such as back stories, can be had while going for a stroll with a character as they chat away ambiently, rather than standing there clicking through text from a static position because you’re worried about missing something.

9. The skill and attribute system has been rethought to make it more streamlined yet offer much more varied character builds. We’re down from 8 attributes and 21 skills to 3 attributes and 18 skills, which will probably cause gasps of horror in some camps, but actually the aim is to make character builds even more diverse while getting rid of redundant levelling. Acrobatics is gone, for instance – “who makes a character that is like ‘I am someone who doesn’t run?” Each skill unlocks a series of perks, which add multiple new abilities – such as a slow-time mode for arrow shooting. Each perk has certain requirements, not purely having unlocked the one below it. “You see a perk you like and say ‘I’m going to start using my sword more because I want that perk”, says Howard. The attributes, meanwhile, are distilled to Health, Magicka and Stamina. “What we found was those [old] attributes actually did something else. For instance, Intelligence just affected Magicka. They all trickled down to some other stat.” Again- this will cause gasps of horror. Maybe those will be justified, maybe they won’t – we won’t know until we play. Conceptually speaking, however, I dig the idea of your character build now being more about your actions than about strict segmenting into what were in some cases multiple attributes with similar effects. It does mean it’s more a game of actions than of numbers, and that’s always going to get backs up, but in this instance I’m fairly sure they’ve genuinely done it to increase engagement with your character and what he/she/it gets up to than to stoooopidise matters.

10. The Giant Frostbite Spider, in motion, may well be one of the most frightening things I’ve ever seen.

11. We won’t suffer the horrible voice repetition of Oblivion. “We’ve expanded it a lot. It’s a much bigger jump even from Fallout in terms of VO and the amount of people we have.” Max Von Sydow won’t be the only celebrity voice in the game, either… “I think you’ll all be very impressed, but it’s not just about getting the name on there.”

12. You can dual-wield weapons and spells. Or dual-wield spells. Or wield the same spell in each hand, and thus cast an ultra-spell. The combat system is about discovering combinations, stringing particular abilities together to create mighty tactics. Again, it’s all about creating a character unique to you, rather than being an archetype.

13. Character creation only involves choosing what you look like and which of 10 races you are. “After that it’s all about what you play. We want to minimise the initial decision point when you start the game.”

14. Modding is fully supported, in the form of the Creation Kit. “We’re really big into the mods on the PC. Hopefully day and date with the game, but there might be some slack there.” Bethesda have also been influenced by a few mods for earlier games – for instance, bows have been tweaked as a result of finding an Oblivion balance mod that did ‘em better.

15. The engine looks absolutely phenomenal in motion, with the draw distance, streaming and detail able to handle “massive changes in scale from plant to mountain.” There’s none of that awkward visual disparity between near and far away objects which we saw in Oblivion. Meanwhile, tree branches wobble delicately in the wind, mountain peaks have their own micro-climates (such as gorgeous snow and mist), and even your character’s hands are wonderfully animated – a far cry from the forever-clenched fists of so many games. “We like the downtime, the moments like watching the sunset, staring at the water.” Even pulling up the map involves seamlessly zooming up and above the world to look down at a full 3D rendering of it.

16. You get to fight magic zombie vikings. (Draugr, ancient undead Nord warriors). They look like muscle-bound, bearded skeletons, and they’re proper eerie.

17. There’s a real in-game economy. If, for any reason, you decide to destroy a local lumber mill, you’ll find it results in a shortage of wooden objects such as arrows in nearby shops. You probably shouldn’t destroy the lumber mill, then. Alternatively, you could chop some wood for the lumber mill, which will earn you a bit of cash.

18. There will be a few out-there quests, like entering the painting in Oblivion. “It’s good to remind people it’s a world of magic and fantasy.” There’ll also be a bunch of secret features, but it won’t be a unicorn again.

19. The skills/perks system is presented as a vast, twinkling star field populated by stellar patterns in the shape of this world’s various gods. The idea is your character looks to the very heavens for inspiration and power, rather than to some out of game list of stats. As you pick a perk the chart slowly lights up. “You’re creating this custom constellation just drawn for you.” It’s epic, strange and beautiful, and it makes character-tailoring visually part of the game rather than a bunch of statistics strewn across the menu screen.

20. All this, and we haven’t even been told about the guilds, the factions, crime, the major cities, the conversation system and so much more. It’s going to be an enormous game. It seems so much bigger, so much meatier, so much stranger than Oblivion. I can’t wait, I really can’t.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim is released on 11 November this year.

I've already pre-ordered the standard edition from Amazon. If there's a collector's edition I'll gladly upgrade. ;)

Offline Mik

• Lightswitch Rave!
    • Neville Longbottom
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2011, 01:03:07 PM »
So far away. Ugh. My interest is even more amped because I'm currently playing Oblivion.

Offline Zorin Industries

• Time Lord Victorious
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2011, 02:33:38 AM »
I still need to finish the main quest in Oblivion at some point, I always get sidetracked into making my character the worlds greatest vampire thief/assassin.

In fact I hope whoever write the Dark Brotherhood (or whatever it was called) questline is writing Skyrim. 

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2011, 02:48:43 AM »
I should really start playing Oblivion, period. I keep getting turned off by the engine. I like it for Fallout (outside of the bugs) but it feels weird for a fantasy game. I really should play it through, though, before Skyrim comes out.

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2011, 04:29:24 AM »
Fan-made 8-bit version of the Skyrim theme. Pretty dope!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLdtHsBfImo&feature=player_embedded#at=22

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2011, 07:15:18 AM »
Damn, it's gonna be a long five months...

The dragon's aren't scripted and can attack anything. So awesome! Also, they stopped counting at 300 hours of "stuff to do" in the game. Oh man.

Offline The ghost of bps21

• Wade the Duck says: Your brush with Greatness is OVER!
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2011, 05:12:05 PM »
I watched that earlier.  This game looks insanely incredible.  Just the way the combat works is a billion times better than Oblivion.  And I loved that game anyway.  This looks like a game that's going to suck away months of my life.

Offline CletusVanDamme

• BlackFlagg
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2011, 11:07:13 AM »
Have they said if this is gonna be like Oblivion where everything scales to your level, or will you know have to watch where you go in worries of running into creatures that can wipe the floor with you at lower levels?

Offline Mik

• Lightswitch Rave!
    • Neville Longbottom
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2011, 12:02:16 PM »
Well, dragons attack you from nearly the get-go, so hopefully they are nearly unbeatable at first.

I hope it's not completely like Oblivion... I hope some areas are meant to be harder.

Offline Smues

• Admin
  • Smuesicide
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2011, 12:45:45 PM »
I believe I read somewhere that it's going to be more of a Fallout type scale than the Oblivion system.
I want Jimmy Fallon to be dead. That doesn't make me a bad person.

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2011, 02:47:56 AM »
Some questions answered in this video:

Enemy's scale more to your level like Fallout, but there is a level of randomization and you can run into enemies that may be too powerful for you.

I'm really loving the changes to the interface/menus.

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2011, 02:49:48 AM »

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2011, 02:54:58 AM »
150 hand drawn dungeons.. sure beats the hell out of the 5-10 dungeons that got recycled over and over again in Dragon Age 2.

Offline Mik

• Lightswitch Rave!
    • Neville Longbottom
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2011, 12:55:07 PM »
I was most impressed with the perk trees/3D menus. Granted, that's not the most impressive part shown but I think it's amazingly awesome.

It's all really shaping up to be the best game ever. Comes out on a Friday, as well.

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2011, 06:00:13 AM »
New screens: http://www.joystiq.com/2011/06/09/new-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-screens-prove-wishes-dont-come-true/

We stared at these new screens for The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim for like five minutes, and wanted the game to come out today as hard as we could. We called the store, it wasn't there. Wish all you want, children of the world: No one is listening.

Offline KanadianKrusty

• ninjas be trippin'
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2011, 06:40:33 AM »
Aside from the mountains, it looks like they're closer to Morrowind than Oblivion in terms of overall landscape variety, which is nice. And uh yeah... DRAGONS.

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2011, 05:41:55 AM »
I just noticed this line in the Wiki entry for this game: NPCs react with each other, such as by fighting over loot that the player has dropped.

That should be fun to see.

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2011, 05:53:51 AM »
When the fan favorite Oblivion launched a few years back, it wowed many players but the voice acting behind it was a bit thin. The executive producer of The Elder Scrolls 5 – Skyrim revealed earlier that only 14 voice actors were featured in the entire game.

“…we had 14 people doing all the voices in Oblivion. In Skyrim, we have 70 different actors performing 47,000 lines.”

This huge variety should make for more diverse auditory experience for The Elder Scrolls 5 – Skyrim. This is huge.  Make sense since the game itself will be huge – it takes around 300 hours of game play to complete. The main quest itself takes up 20 to 30 hours of game play.

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2011, 06:00:35 AM »
Skyrim DLC Will Have 'Expansion Pack Feel'
Posted by Adam Larck on 06.30.2011

Want to do less DLC, but make bigger.

Did Fallout 3 have too much DLC for you?

Don't worry. According to AusGamers, Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim will have less DLC, but will be bigger.

"Right now I can say that we'd like to do less DLC but bigger ones -- you know, more substantial," project lead Todd Howard said. "The Fallout 3 pace that we did was very chaotic. We did a lot of them -- we had two overlapping groups -- and we don't know what we're going to make yet, but we'd like them to be closer to an expansion pack feel."

So, don't expect any horse armor this time around.

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2011, 07:10:49 AM »
In fact I hope whoever write the Dark Brotherhood (or whatever it was called) questline is writing Skyrim. 

I just got to that point in my Oblivion campaign. Finally gave it a proper chance over the long weekend and am right into it now. Just got into the Brotherhood and it's pretty awesome. I'm tempted to go vamp, but I'm weary of how that'll mess with the main questline. Maybe I'll create a second save and go from there. ;) Either way I totally agree with that statement. I at least hope the Dark Brotherhood makes it into this new game as a faction.

Four months to go! 8 pay-days! I don't think I've ever been so hyped up for a game in recent memory. Not even New Vegas had me this psyched out for it's release.

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2011, 07:47:48 AM »

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2011, 06:19:56 AM »
SKYRIM Fan Interview via Bethesda's Forums..

Big thanks to Todd Howard, Matt Carofano), and Bruce Nesmith for tackling the questions. Also want to thank Lady Neverar for helping grab questions from the community.

Without further ado ...

Skyrim Fan Interview
Todd Howard, Game Director
Bruce Nesmith, Lead Designer
Matt Carofano, Lead Artist

1) Will the character be able to change into certain creature?
Todd: We've done various things like that in our previous games, and it's something that we probably won't be talking about specifically on this one. Don't read anything into that, we just prefer to not discuss this one. We 'd like to leave that an open question until the game is out.

2) What sorts of cosmetic options, like beards, tattoos, or body proportions, are available? Can we edit them later in the game?
Matt: There is large amount of customization available for each race. You can choose from multiple hair styles, beards, scars, and face paint. Each race and gender has a light and heavy build and you can pick any level in between. We've completely redone our facial system, and we're really excited to show off the results.

3) Is armor handled like in Oblivion (with each body part being welded together) or in Morrowind (with each body part separate)? Will you be able to wear both clothes and armor at the same time?
Matt: The armor system is very similar to Oblivion's. The main difference is that the upper and lower body armors, the cuirass and greaves, have been combined into one piece. This helps create armor styles that have the look we needed for Skyrim. In most of the Nordic designs we created, the upper armor would completely cover the lower armor, making it unnecessary. We get much better visual results combining those pieces, and it renders a lot faster too, so we can put more people on screen, so that was an easy tradeoff for us. We can also make a lot more armors now, so the number and variation types are more than we've ever had.

4) Are the main and faction quests branching or linear? What about side quests?
Bruce: We've focused on telling one story well. There are decision points in all the quest lines that can change things, but overall it's a single story. Because the side quests are smaller stories, they are more likely to have major branches. For example, you can decide to save or betray someone, which changes the whole end of the quest. Overall the quest structure in Skyrim is closer to Oblivion than Fallout 3, in that there are many more quests, but they have fewer branches.

5) Are loot and quest rewards level scaled, like in Oblivion? Will there be any powerful un-scaled items?
Bruce: We're handling leveling stuff similar to how we did in Fallout 3, but with a few new twists that we hope players won't even notice. The enemies and loot are based on the "encounter zone" you're in, so it could be higher or lower level than your current level. We do have a new concept of epic or "special" loot that you can randomly find in many cases, regardless of the zone, and you will still get better stuff in the better zones with your level higher. Same goes for quest rewards. We try to make them appropriate for what you did. Sometimes that is random, sometimes that is a set item. There's a lot of specific stuff that is very powerful, like the Daedric artifacts .

6) Will items present in Morrowind but not in Oblivion, such as spears, medium armor, and mark / recall spells, be making a return?
Todd: They are not in Skyrim for the same reasons we didn't include them in Oblivion. I'll address each one. First spears, the truth is we'd love to do them, but it becomes a priority and development time thing for us. We feel it's better to spend our time right now making sure the gameplay for the other play styles is really solid. That includes sword, sword and shield, two-handed weapons, and bows. You can also add magic to that list . Getting those all working well together, while feeling different, is our priority.

As far as medium armor, that's not a time or polish thing, it's a design choice to focus on two armor types and making sure those feel different and the player appreciates them. We try to make your character move and feel different between light and heavy and having a 3rd one in the middle just muddies it up in how it plays, as well as visually. And even now, we still have to tweak those two armor types so they feel different, while remaining fun. Every time we slow down heavy armor more, it feels bad, but it's the main way of balancing it. We've added other ways of balancing it that feel right-like different stamina drain rates when sprinting and such.

Mark and recall is one where it's a lot of fun, but like levitation, was removed so we could design better gameplay spaces and scenarios. We were really limited in Morrowind because the player could recall or levitate out of many situations and break them. There was a lot of good gameplay and level design work that we just couldn't do and now we can. Back then it seemed like many good ideas we had were shot down when another designer would say "oh yeah, I just levitate or recall away . "So we got rid of them.

7) Will we be able to have relationships with the NPCs, romantic or otherwise?
Bruce: Absolutely! You make friends with people by doing things for them. Friends in the game will treat you differently. Some of them will even agree to go with you into dungeons and on adventures. You can even get married. If you own a house, your spouse will move in with you.

8) Are there any new armor / weapon materials unique to Skyrim?
Matt: One of the most prized and rarest sets of armor is made ​​from dragons. It can be forged in both a light and heavy variant. You'll see a return of many armors from previous games, such as leather and steel, however these have been redesigned in the Nordic style.

9) Can we have some specifics about the PC version of the game? How will it's UI be different? Will there be a 64-bit executable?
Todd: 64-bit specific exe? Not at this time. As far as UI, it visually looks the same across the platforms, but the controls are entirely different. There's also a lot of "power user" stuff we do with the keyboard from how favorites work, to quick saves, and more that is similar to what we've done before in that area. We're packing a lot of info on the screen and the whole interface is much less 'look at giant fonts!' than , say, Oblivion. The PC version also gets higher res textures, larger render modes, and a bunch of other effects you can scale up if your machine is a beast. Last but most important, is the Creation Kit we'll be releasing for the PC. Modding the game and making it your own is very important to us and our fans, so we're going to keep doing whatever we can in that area.

10) How will enchanting work in Skyrim? Will we have to constantly refill our enchantments with soul gems like we did in Oblivion, or will it be more like Morrowind in which the weapons recovered after a certain resting period?
Bruce: The method in Oblivion worked really well, so we kept it. Magic weapons use charges and have to be refilled with soul gems. Magic armor is always on and doesn't need to be recharged. Soul gems and their lore and usage are a staple of the Elder Scrolls.

We have revamped the enchanting system though. Enchanting is now a skill. The better your skill and perks, the better you are at creating enchanted items. You'll be able to find enchanting stations all over the world, which will make it much more accessible.

There are some changes from Oblivion, including the effects you can use when creating items, as well as how you learn effects. You now learn enchanting effects by "breaking down" a magic item you find, as opposed to them coming from spells you know . This allows us to separate enchanting from the other magical skills better.

11) What are the differences between the races? I guess they'll have different skill bonuses, but will they also start with different perks or have different "hard-coded" attributes, such as different running speeds or maximum encumbrance, etc.?
Todd: They each start with some skills that are higher by default, but those aren't hard to overcome with another race in a short time. They also have different starting spells and each has its own passive abilities, like before, as well as powers, like before. So Khajiit can see in the dark, Orcs have a berserk power, Redguards have Adrenaline Rush, and so forth. They work differently in the new system, but the flavor is the same. We kept all the racial movement speeds the same, that's now a factor of what you're wearing and have equipped. And starting max encumbrance is the same and is based on your Stamina attribute.

12) Is there any game content (story, quests) that might be locked for a character based on race / faction / politics allegiances / morality / choices? Or one can experience all the content in one single play?
Todd: We do have some stuff that gets locked out based on decisions you make. It's wherever it felt natural. It wasn'ta goal that you could or couldn't play everything with one character. The game's honestly so big that we don ' t think about it much.

13) To what extent will our racial / gender selection at the start of the game will affecting our gameplay? Are there relationships affected by these choices?
Bruce: Your race is very important. It's more than just how you look. Each race has a bias toward certain types of characters. If you want play a wizard, it will be easier with a High Elf or a Breton. If you want to play a warrior, it will be easier with a Nord or a Redguard. However, just like in Oblivion, we don't force you to follow that bias. If you want to be a Nord wizard, that's completely viable.

Gender does not change any initial skills or abilities. There is nothing that men do better than women or vice versa in the game. Other characters will recognize your gender and address you properly. Some may have prejudices for or against a particular gender as a part of their character, but it won't change what you can or can't do.

14) Do you plan to include non lethal ways of defeating opponents??
Todd: Depends on what you mean by "defeat". We have various stealthy ways of getting past people, and the various poisons and spells allow you to basically render enemies harmless to you, whether that is casting a calm or fear spell, knocking them down, or something else.

Oh, and we now have tavern brawls that are non-lethal! I love those.

15) Will boss fights involve interesting mechanics involved as opposed to just more health and hits harder?
Todd: We have many new combat behaviors in our AI that makes fights with certain enemies very dynamic and interesting. It matters what the enemy can do. Dragons, for example, can do lot of things from multiple shouts, bombing runs, picking guys up , and more. An enemy that has a sword and shield, a bow, magic spells, and potions will use all of those things, and those fights are the most interesting. But we also design some combat encounters where the player simply may get mobbed by more simple enemies, and those have a different pace and strategy.

16) Do companions have skill and perk trees we can train?
Bruce: No, you only manage your own. Though companions often have certain perks so they behave different or better.

17) Is the culture in Skyrim strictly Nordic, or are there places (like Cheydinhal in Cyrodiil) that show influence from other cultures nearby, like architecture, religion, etc?
Matt: While there are pockets of other races in the game, we focused on the Nordic culture and their regional differences. The architecture between cities is dramatically different and reflects how the Nords live in that area.

18) So, the dragons are big and powerful. Did you include some destructible environment so they could leave marks and scars everywhere they attack? Can they demolish buildings, break trees, start avalanches, burn houses, things like this that emphasize their power?
Todd: They do leave marks and scars everywhere, but as far as destroying buildings and such, it's rare. It does happen, but not a lot. Systemically destroying our spaces is something we have not found a good way to handle yet, because it's so dynamic. We're dealing with places that we have NPCs living, and providing quests and other game services. It's something we avoid in every game unless we can specifically wipe it off the map, like Megaton.

19) Will there be any difference between the animation sets of male and female as well as human-like and 'beast' characters?
Matt: The animation system is completely new and dramatically improved. You will notice huge difference from previous games. There are differences between male and female animations, and even beast races have some specific animations.

20) Will any sort of karma system be incorporated like there was in Fallout, or will it be the Fame / Infamy system of Oblivion?
Bruce: We don't provide a numeric score that you can track, but the game knows if you've been naughty or nice. We felt that a number really didn't do your fame justice. Characters in the world will acknowledge the specific things you have done rather than just a generalized reputation. If you are a criminal, they'll know that too. But if you pay your debt to society, all is forgiven.

21) Will crafting (weapons, armor) be effected by the tools you use as well as the ingredients used in the crafting? Such as the hammers and clippers, mastery level of the weapons and your level? Basically, will I be able to produce a more powerful, or even unique, weapon if I use a master hammer or clipper as opposed to novice?
Bruce: The blacksmith's shop includes a forge, a grindstone, and a smithing bench. You can improve your weapons at the grindstone. The higher your skill, the more you can improve them, and the more damage they'll do. Same thing for armor with the smithing bench, only the armor rating gets better. The forge is actually used to create new weapons and armor from raw materials.

22) Will your character have a voice? So that you can hear yourself having a conversation with other people?
Todd: You do have a voice, but you only here it in grunts and shouts. So we have recorded for each race and sex you can play, all the different combat grunts, as well as the dragon language shouts.

23) Obviously every character is "Dragonborn", but not every character will be playing the same way. The question is: Will dragon shouts support all types of characters? Are there long ranged shouts? Some kind of stealthy "shout"?
Todd: Yes, the shouts support all character types. We're not ready to talk about the other shouts yet, but soon enough.

24) Are there going to be places where you can use nature to your advantage? Like make a trap out of a falling tree or climb a tree to stealth attack an enemy?
Todd: Yes and no. You can't make things, but our environment is so dense, you're almost always using the natural terrain to get an advantage, especially with stealth.

25) Will you be able to carry on after the main story?
Todd: Yes, absolutely.

Offline Flik

• Rocking My Old Graphic Works
  • CXF Writer
  • @DSookochoff
« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2011, 02:47:09 AM »
This seems like this could be a lot of fun. Can't wait to hear more.

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2011, 03:25:02 AM »
I think I'm switching my pre-order from Amazon to Gamestop tomorrow. GS has a deal right now where you get $5 extra credit if you trade in 4-5 games.. and I just so happen to have 5 games that I've wanted to trade in recently. Plus I think I'd rather pick it up in person and have it on release day rather than wait for the following day for Amazon to ship. Good times. :)

Offline Mik

• Lightswitch Rave!
    • Neville Longbottom
« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2011, 03:34:45 AM »
Everything I've ever preordered on Amazon I received on release day.

This game looks fucking sick, by the way. I'm just trying to avoid reading about it because it's so far away.

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2011, 04:26:28 AM »
Yeah Amazon.ca is where I get mine from though and they're notorious for saying it's coming on release day.. then the day before when it's too late to cancel, the delivery date suddenly changes to 2-5 days away from the ship date. In some cases I've just bought the game at a retailer and "returned" it back to them when I get the Amazon version. ;)

Mik did you play much Oblivion? I'm finally getting right into that game. Took me some time but I'm loving everything about it now, even despite the engine it's based off of. I just added the Shivering Isles expansion, too. I read that it adds something like another 30 hours of Gameplay? Crazy!

Offline Mik

• Lightswitch Rave!
    • Neville Longbottom
« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2011, 05:17:11 AM »
I didn't finish it. I made it about 1/2 of the way through the main quest and about 30 hours total and I just lost steam. This was just recently so I was so tired of the engine by this point. That's why I'm so excited for Skyrim... keeping a lot of the parts I love but making it fresh.

I did finish the entire Knights of the Nine DLC and that was a lot of fun.

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2011, 05:24:03 AM »
Yeah that was the one thing that kept me from wanting to go further than 2 hours into the game initially.. the engine. I just kept getting put off.. I think I've had this game since January/February.. I guess the Skyrim anticipation had me wanting some kind of "epic" RPG experience sooner, especially since Dragon Age 2 didn't really provide that, so I decided to give it a go again and finally got into it once the story got going. I actually am finding the engine much smoother than it is with the Fallout games. I guess because it was originally built for Oblivion? I haven't had any freezes or any of the kind of weird shit that happens in Fallout 3.

But of course, Skyrim sounds amazing. I get chills whenever I watch that trailer with the Max Von Sydow voiceover. I am thinking of double dipping on this game, too. I know I for sure want the console version.. but I'm thinking a little ways down the road post-release, I might pick up the PC version for the modding capabilities alone. I've always wanted to get into that kind of stuff, and of course you can't with the consoles.

Offline Flik

• Rocking My Old Graphic Works
  • CXF Writer
  • @DSookochoff
« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2011, 06:48:49 AM »
If the modding tools are done right, you can do some fabulous things with it. I had a lot of fun with the modding tools for other games, so I might go PC for this game. Maybe. We'll see if this girl can handle it.

That being said, I like how they aren't split armours into light, medium and heavy. I always thought you could just move the medium armors into the higher end of light and the lower end of heavy really.

Offline Angle-plex

• Hey....it's sexy.....
« Reply #41 on: July 06, 2011, 09:49:02 AM »
I couldn't get into oblivion becaue of the horrible enemy level ups. Also because I got turned into a vampire all the time and the quest to get rid of it sucks

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #42 on: July 07, 2011, 02:06:39 AM »
Speaking of more Oblivion - I figure it's okay to also use this thread as an all-purpose TES thread - there is a HUGE mod coming out for the PC version at the end of the year, completely free of course. Sounds/looks fucking amazing:

And Just Like That, Oblivion Looks Amazing all over Again

It's aged a little now, but when Oblivion was first released, it was breath-taking. This new mod, Andoran, restores a lot of the game's swagger.

Andoran is a complete overhaul of Elder Scrolls IV. Conceived as a prologue to events in the core series, and true to the canon, it's basically an entire new game, with a new map, new characters, new textures and new effects. There are also some additions to the core mechanics of Oblivion, like the ability to "hog tie" characters for abduction.

Due for release at the end of the year, it's entirely free, and only requires you have a licensed copy of Oblivion.

More here: http://www.andoran.com/indexen.html

..and a video, that is not in English, but still good for the visuals.

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #43 on: July 07, 2011, 02:21:31 AM »
Another interview with Todd Howard re: SKYRIM

It's hard to believe that the last game in Bethesda's Elder Scrolls series came out more than five years ago with The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. The sprawling RPG was a hit, and helped set the stage for a genre that would continue to increase in popularity on consoles.

Gamasutra recently sat down with Todd Howard, design director on Bethesda Softworks' long awaited Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, which is launching this November on PC and high-definition consoles.

Here, the long-time game developer talks about working with the game's all-new Creation Engine, how the studio changed up the Oblivion formula, and whether it's possible to convey the vision of a single designer through such a massive project.

Howard also explains how the studio approaches accessibility (hint: "It's not something that we think about a lot"), and the bugs that manage to sneak into Bethesda's massive, do-what-you-want games.

How hands-on are you with [Skyrim]?

There are a lot of great people who work on the team, we've worked together for a long time. We're focused on one game at a time, so I'm extremely hands on, design a lot of the systems, and play the game every day and give the guys feedback.

But we have a great group -- Matthew Carofano, who's our lead artist and was on Morrowind and Oblivion as well, Bruce Nesmith and Kurt Kuhlmann, are lead designers on [Skyrim]. I worked with them on Daggerfall, so they've been with us for a while.

What's kind of nice about our group is that a lot of us have worked together for a long time. So the amount of time that I have to "manage" is low. We can focus on the game.

When you have a game with so many different components and lots of content, how reasonable is it to expect the game to have a singular vision?

I view the game as -- the first line in the credits is "Game Design: Bethesda Game Studios." I view it as a studio project. It is too big for one person. I don't know all parts of it. In each of the games we did, there are probably three or four people -- from myself to usually the lead artist, lead designer, lead level designer -- you'd have to combine those four people to know everything.

We like to remain very flat as a studio. One of the reasons our games end up so big is we put a high premium on tools, and then we let people run wild. We think that gives us the best game. So the main thing that we try to instill in people is really the tone of the game, and then they'll create content that matches that. And the work will be checked by lots of people, and it won't be me all the time. It often isn't.

So a priority is having your programmers make tools for designers and artists to go crazy. Some studios don't work like that.

No, we put a big premium on our editor, which we then ship with the games. It's going to come out again with Skyrim, the Creation Kit. So when it comes to content creation, we just have so much of it that we have to put a lot of development time into the tools, because the game is so big.

We're hoping [the Creation Kit] will be available as a download on launch day. I don't know if I can promise day-one, but it will be very close.

What aspects of Oblivion did you look at when planning Skyrim? What did you want to change? I know Skyrim began development a long time ago, so you may have to reach back into your memory banks.

Each game is its own thing. There are certain things that Arena does better, or that Daggerfall does better than Morrowind or Oblivion, or even better than Skyrim. There are certain things, depending on the game you make, that you'll sacrifice to make that particular game. But I think we tried a lot of new stuff with Oblivion, and it was new -- it came out four months after the Xbox launched.

So that was very difficult to get all of those systems running on a console that was still in development at the time. So we sort of came out of it very happy with what we got on the screen, but knowing that there were things we could do a lot better. Some of that we did better in Fallout 3.

But I think the big things for us are still -- and we still struggle with -- are the NPCs, the interaction, and how they act. That's because the game is so dynamic, we don't want to script them, so weirdness can ensue sometimes. So we came out of Oblivion thinking, hey, how do we get more believable characters on the screen who are reacting to you.

I always thought we did environments well, and we want to keep doing it well. But I'd say the characters and how they perform on the screen was probably our number one [focus].

That's something too, that maybe some gamers don't understand when you have a game that big, that there will be "weirdness." Do you think you could ever ship a game that squashes all of those bugs? Would you say Skyrim has less of that "weirdness" going on than your other games?

It matters how you define "weirdness." There's going to be some [weirdness], like the player did X, Y and Z that we didn't expect, and now he's attacking the town, sleeping in this guy's bed, he killed his wife [laughs]... We sort of learn each time how people play these games and experience them. So we get better each time, but we do at the end of the day sacrifice, say, a well-paced story. It's almost impossible for us to do. We'd rather let you go do whatever you want. So that's a sacrifice that we're willing to make.

People give you guys a hard time about bugs. You have very well-received games, but there are also plenty of fun clips on YouTube that originate from Bethesda games.

[Laughs] You know what though? Those things are there, and it's fair that people call us out for them, we've got no problem with that.

How does the new engine handle the world's size in Skyrim? What's the scale of the game?

It's about the size of Oblivion. The scale changes with each game, based on a number of factors. The factor in [Skyrim] that messes with the scale are the mountains. So putting mountains on the screen, they feel like mountains when you see them, but they're at the same time small enough where you can scale them without taking a really, really long time. And they cut up the terrain.

In Fallout 3 or Oblivion, you can cut across the landscape, for the most part. You can draw a line and say, "I wanna go there." But in Skyrim, you can't. You might run into a mountain, and you might have to scale a mountain. In general, we try to make the game harder the higher the elevation you're in. That changes the flow of the game.

As a design director, is there an overarching design philosophy that you follow that has worked over the course of so many games?

We have one for the studio. Our motto is "Great games are played, not made," meaning you can spend a lot of time on paper coming up with great ideas, then as soon as you put it in the game, you're like, "I was thinking wrong." So we try to just bullet point things on paper, then get it in the game, play the game, and get ready to throw your ideas out.

With Skyrim, the dragon's design was a one-pager. "Those are gonna work." A couple bullet points was what we were going for. One of our other rules is "define the experience." With dragons, it was more about defining the experience we wanted to have as opposed to "here is the feature set and technical design, etc. etc."

As far as Skyrim, what is the experience? It's the experience you had with the other Elder Scrolls, in that you be who you want to be and do what you want, but the tone of Skyrim involves a more rugged world, a more lived-in world, where magic is more low-fantasy world. There is more violence in it, not for gore's sake -- there's not a ton of gore in the game -- but it just seems like it would be a more violent place.

When it comes to game features, we are more about iteration. The only area we're document-heavy in is the content of the world. We have to be, with all the people, quests, items. We're very document-heavy and we have a really slick wiki at work, and have an interactive map and you can see who's building what today.

But when it comes to game features -- the more time you spend on paper, the more incorrect assumptions you're making, and it's just going to pile up on you.

What about accessibility -- making Skyrim a game that's inviting to people who might not play RPGs as much, and also the hardcore people who have been playing The Elder Scrolls since the beginning?

Honestly, it's not something that we think about a lot, in that we've found that we're getting a pretty big audience making a game that we want to make. We want to make it for whoever it is -- even if you've played Elder Scrolls before, you haven't played this one, so you don't understand what a skill does yet.

... We want to remove confusion, that's what I'd say. As opposed to making it more accessible, we'd like to remove confusion for anyone who's playing. What we're trying to do now is lead you into it more... In our games or others' games, they give you a character menu and say, "Who do you want to be, what powers do you want?" [Players think,] "I don't know, I haven't played yet!"

What happens in Oblivion is you start the game, play for three hours, and then think "I want to start over, I chose wrong." So we'd like to sort of alleviate some of that. I also think the controls work better [too] ... it's more elegant.

You look at Call of Duty, the most popular game in the world, and that's actually pretty hardcore. At the end of the day, it's a hardcore game, has RPG elements in multiplayer, making classes, picking perks. I think the audiences are there, and we tend to make our game more for ourselves and other people who play a lot of games.

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2011, 08:26:01 AM »

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #45 on: July 24, 2011, 02:53:33 AM »
Comicon gameplay video

Offline CletusVanDamme

• BlackFlagg
« Reply #46 on: August 05, 2011, 06:01:57 AM »
Apparently the collectors edition has been announced http://www.bethblog.com/index.php/2011/08/05/quakecon-2011-skyrim-collectors-edition-announced/ but at the moment everyone seems to be checking it out making it a bitch to get the page to even load.

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #47 on: August 05, 2011, 06:15:33 AM »
Goddamn... looks like I need to change my pre-order at Gamestop.

Offline CletusVanDamme

• BlackFlagg
« Reply #48 on: August 05, 2011, 11:10:01 AM »
right now Steam has The Elder Scrolls pack for sale, $15 for both Oblivion and Morrowind GOTY editions.

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #49 on: August 09, 2011, 06:55:54 AM »
Links to several hands-on previews from the recent demo at QuakeCon..

http://bethblog.com/index.php/2011/08/08/quakecon-2011-skyrim-hands-on-previews/