Author Topic: :: SKYRIM :: The Elder Scrolls V (11.11.11)  (Read 28443 times)

Description:

Offline The ghost of bps21

• Wade the Duck says: Your brush with Greatness is OVER!
:: SKYRIM :: The Elder Scrolls V (11.11.11)
« Reply #150 on: November 15, 2011, 01:46:58 AM »
Lydia died immediately after she joined me.  I did not reload.

Offline Mik

• Lightswitch Rave!
    • Neville Longbottom
« Reply #151 on: November 15, 2011, 01:54:01 AM »
I never took her but I have gotten 4 companions killed so far.

I have a Khajit warrior with me now that I really like and I'm going to try and keep him alive.
Show loose women what I'm workin' with.

Offline Thoth

• Curleh Mustache~
« Reply #152 on: November 15, 2011, 02:44:54 AM »
The main reason I don't want her to die is that she is carrying about 300 pounds of my stuff.  Maybe once I get a house I won't be so attached.

« Reply #153 on: November 15, 2011, 03:31:16 AM »
I'm a hoarder for books.  If I see a book...I take it.  I had to buy a house immediately in whiterun so that I could store my books.

Offline A Happy Medium

• CXF Writer
« Reply #154 on: November 15, 2011, 05:01:51 AM »
I don't like how they're unlabeled, but I just take a guess and go with the more expensive spell.  That being said, it's a lot of fun to shoot a shard of ice through someone's chest and have they fly down a hallway.

Offline The Real DXP

• daileyxplanet
    • TrevorTwitter
« Reply #155 on: November 15, 2011, 05:16:24 AM »
I am going to ask for this for Christmas as one the gift I get (we're broke).

Offline Edwin

• Smash and bang is my favorite combination
« Reply #156 on: November 15, 2011, 01:12:11 PM »
I don't like how they're unlabeled, but I just take a guess and go with the more expensive spell.  That being said, it's a lot of fun to shoot a shard of ice through someone's chest and have they fly down a hallway.
Want.

I finally started.  Awwwesome.  I decide to play a mage with an axe after seeing how cool the destruction spells are now, but stayed Nord anyway because they had the best looking beards and the races really aren't that different.  It also seemed prudent to play as a son of Skyrim given the setting.  4 hours went by like nothing.

Offline Mik

• Lightswitch Rave!
    • Neville Longbottom
« Reply #157 on: November 15, 2011, 01:53:16 PM »
House of Horrors side quest yields an EPIC mace. 25 stamina damage, 25 magicka damage, and soul capture if you finish enemy in 3 seconds or less. 40 damage.

Offline GAYGENT OF OBLIVION

• Go Gators
  • Faded as fuck
« Reply #158 on: November 15, 2011, 04:33:01 PM »
My thievin' ass man-cat now has the assassin's blade perk, which means I can ONE SHOT BRO most soft targets, plus a full compliment of poisons

Offline Edwin

« Reply #159 on: November 15, 2011, 11:09:44 PM »
Even though I'm not really playing a stealth character, my sneak skill is leveling up ridiculously fast.  With seemingly fewer modifiers on speed this time around and the sprint button, moving around crouched is about as fast as walking.

Seems like playing a hybrid type character is solid early in the game, but given how deep the perk trees are, I'll be interested to see how that holds up as the game progresses.  With around 15 perk options in all the combat and magic skills, there are going to be far fewer superpowered min/max characters than you could make in Fallout or Oblivion.

Offline Mik

• Lightswitch Rave!
    • Neville Longbottom
« Reply #160 on: November 16, 2011, 12:59:55 AM »
There are 240+ perks with the (soft) level cap of 50. You can conceivably get 81 perks if you get 100 in everything but that's probably not happening.

So perk-wise, you really need to pick/choose.

Offline Edwin

« Reply #161 on: November 16, 2011, 01:16:07 AM »
One nice counter to that is that just a few perks in many of the trees gives you a lot of benefits.  For example, it looks like spending all of 3 points in restoration bumps all your healing spells by 50% and increases magicka regen by 25%.  The armor skills are the same way.

Also, the best argument for playing a full warrior are the finishing moves.  Great animations so far.

Offline Damaramu

« Reply #162 on: November 16, 2011, 06:15:11 AM »
I just started it, but this is my week with my son so I haven't had as much time to devote to it. I play after he goes to bed, but then I go to bed shortly after.

I barely played Morrowind and can't remember what I made. I've played Oblivion twice and I was a Dark Elf mage and a Nord warrior. So now I've created an Orc. This should be fun. I've made it to the first quest given to me by the Jarl's Mage. However, I've got so many quests popping up on my list that I wanted to clear them out. I'm a bit OCD about clearing quests. It appears that'll be impossible in this game.
I did a few that were easy and then tried to do the Azura's Shrine one. It requested I go to the mage college. Unfortunately I don't have enough magicka to do the spell to enter! D'oh!

I don't even know if I really want to mess with magic. I'm having a lot of fun with my two handed sword. I mean an Orc that uses magic? Unheard of!

I do regret not giving him a big beard now.
I watched RAW. I thought it sucked. The usual problems and such.

« Reply #163 on: November 16, 2011, 09:30:30 AM »
They aren't kidding about the length of this game.  I've played just under 12 hours so far, am level 12...have enjoyed every minute...and haven't scratched the surface of the game world yet.

Offline fazzle

« Reply #164 on: November 16, 2011, 11:18:46 AM »
So, I rented this from redbox cause I had a free rental code.

Immediately after I come out of the tutorial caves, I attack the guy who leads you through them.  I kill him and he pops right back up.

Lame.

Offline Mik

• Lightswitch Rave!
    • Neville Longbottom
« Reply #165 on: November 16, 2011, 01:21:05 PM »
They aren't kidding about the length of this game.  I've played just under 12 hours so far, am level 12...have enjoyed every minute...and haven't scratched the surface of the game world yet.

35 hours and I haven't even visited 3 of the main cities... my lists of quests to do is 15+, another 20+ in miscellaneous. Haven't started Thieves Guild, Dark Brotherhood or Civl War yet. Only one College quest. I have acquired 3 Daedric Artifacts and gotten somewhat far on the Companions. I recommend doing the Daedric Artifacts quests as soon as you can find them - they all yield epic items.

From the wiki it looks like more random/miscellaneous quests appear after advancing certain story lines. In short, this can go on forever, pretty much.

I have been clearing lots of random dungeons and getting a ton of shouts. I think I have 20 words so far. I JUST completed an epic battle with 2 giants and 2 mammoths. Lot of circling...took the mammoths out first because they are more aggressive and then separated the giants and picked them off one by one. Gets way easier when your armor is strong enough to withstand all their attacks without dying.

Offline Edwin

« Reply #166 on: November 16, 2011, 01:42:30 PM »
Mik, what type of character are you playing?  I forget.

Has anyone figured out the advantages of dual wielding one-handed weapons?   The two-weapon power attack is nice, but I didn't see any boost in attack speed for regular melee.  Seems like alternating left/right/left is no better than just using a single weapon.

• Go Gators
  • Faded as fuck
« Reply #167 on: November 16, 2011, 01:48:46 PM »
So I slayed me a dragon outside of Mixwater Mill. Y'know where that cocksucker decided to curl up and die? In the middle of some giants' mammoth herd. Fuck me, that was nervewracking.

Offline Mik

• Lightswitch Rave!
    • Neville Longbottom
« Reply #168 on: November 16, 2011, 01:56:17 PM »
Mik, what type of character are you playing?  I forget.

Has anyone figured out the advantages of dual wielding one-handed weapons?   The two-weapon power attack is nice, but I didn't see any boost in attack speed for regular melee.  Seems like alternating left/right/left is no better than just using a single weapon.

Paladin, pretty much. One handed, restoration, enchanting, and smithing.

• Go Gators
  • Faded as fuck
« Reply #169 on: November 16, 2011, 02:25:34 PM »
Hey, let's have a roll call.

Khajiit, Sneak, One Handed, Block, Lockpicking.

« Reply #170 on: November 16, 2011, 02:29:29 PM »
I'm a Khajiit archer who steal everything from everywhere.

Offline Firmino of the 909

• Admin
« Reply #171 on: November 16, 2011, 02:31:22 PM »
Nord, One Handed, Block, Lockpicking, Heavy Armor

I wade into fights like a retard and swing away like crazy. Like real life!

koab [8:27 PM]
damn i thought you guys were good little cucks who would shit themselfs so a POC could peacefully protest

Offline Edwin

« Reply #172 on: November 16, 2011, 02:37:12 PM »
Nord, One-Handed, Sneak, experimenting with cycling assorted support spells in the left hand.  I was dabbling in Destruction early, but it was just another way to do damage and not as good as clobberin'.  Having Restoration or Illusion spells queued up has been a fun alternate sort of way to block/buff since I don't like sword-and-board, and they don't need a ton of magicka.  Sounds like I'm kinda the asshole version of Mik's build.

Offline A Happy Medium

• CXF Writer
« Reply #173 on: November 16, 2011, 02:46:35 PM »
I'm working with a Breton who seems to specialize in destruction, archery, and conjuration.  I may start a new game as a some kind of blade wielding badass.  Maybe I'll be a Nordic female.  It would be a nice change.

Offline Damaramu

« Reply #174 on: November 16, 2011, 03:59:47 PM »
I hate companions. They steal my kills.

Who can you go to to have magical items recharged?

Offline Edwin

« Reply #175 on: November 16, 2011, 04:07:08 PM »
Note to self: don't inadvertently wake up undead wizards while strolling through the mountains picking flowers.

Offline muzzington

« Reply #176 on: November 16, 2011, 07:43:36 PM »
Being undead must be tiring.

Offline Mik

• Lightswitch Rave!
    • Neville Longbottom
« Reply #177 on: November 16, 2011, 10:08:27 PM »

You can do it yourself, if you have the soul gems. Just go to your menu, hit RB on the item and recharge it. Voila.

Offline Damaramu

« Reply #178 on: November 17, 2011, 12:06:56 AM »

You can do it yourself, if you have the soul gems. Just go to your menu, hit RB on the item and recharge it. Voila.

I have a bunch of uncharged soul gems. I guess I need to learn the soul trap spell? I remember in Oblivion I had an enchantment on a weapon that automatically took someone's soul when I killed them. I need that again.

Anyway on the character soundoff.

I am an Orc named Uruk Hai (so original right?) and I have high skills in two handed, heavy armor and destruction. I'm level 8. I want to increase my speechcraft. In any of these type of games: Oblivion and Fallout 3 and New Vegas I was a smooth talker.

The cool thing about this game is that after I beat it I can play it again and I understand a lot of stuff will be different depending on my choices. That's pretty badass.

Has the Dark Brotherhood come after anyone? They sent an assassin after me recently.

Also, I know it's a moot point and I won't play it now that this is out but did anyone play Morrowwind? Was it any good? I played like 20 minutes of it for some reason, but I went nuts with Oblivion.

• Go Gators
  • Faded as fuck
« Reply #179 on: November 17, 2011, 12:13:01 AM »
I hate companions because they blow my cover. I invest too much time and energy in being unseen for Uela's dumb ass to wander into a room fulla bandits and get me spotted. I'm really getting the gist of hit and run combat now. Worked like a champ against the Draugr Deathlord in the first mage college quest

Offline Edwin

« Reply #180 on: November 17, 2011, 12:20:23 AM »
I've yet to bother with a companions for the same reason.  In Fallout, as much as I loved Charon as a pack mule, he deprived me of way too many mutant headshot opportunities.

Has anyone taken smithing to a high level yet?  It looks like you can eventually only get to Daedric weapons if you take the heavy armor path, but I'm rocking a light armor character.  I'm liking how smithing can sort of replace buying stuff at stores if you want.

Offline Damaramu

« Reply #181 on: November 17, 2011, 01:34:14 AM »
I've yet to bother with a companions for the same reason.  In Fallout, as much as I loved Charon as a pack mule, he deprived me of way too many mutant headshot opportunities.

Has anyone taken smithing to a high level yet?  It looks like you can eventually only get to Daedric weapons if you take the heavy armor path, but I'm rocking a light armor character.  I'm liking how smithing can sort of replace buying stuff at stores if you want.

Granted I'm still early in the game, but I'm having trouble finding materials. I heard later you can make dragon bone armor.

Offline Edwin

« Reply #182 on: November 17, 2011, 01:38:34 AM »
Keep your eyes peeled when you explore caves and dungeons.  I've found a mineral vein to mine in most of them.

Offline Damaramu

« Reply #183 on: November 17, 2011, 01:54:35 AM »
This game is just so awesome. I bought Arkham City at the same time and decided to play through Mortal Kombat real quick before I started. i'm glad I did because now I have time for nothing else, nor do I want to play anything else. Now I'm thinking Arkham City, Zelda and the rest of my gaming que will be shuffled aside until sometime after the new year. 

I love Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas a lot, more than Oblivion. With as badass as they did Skyrim I hope the next Fallout leaps up on the badassness scale like this did.

Offline Mik

• Lightswitch Rave!
    • Neville Longbottom
« Reply #184 on: November 17, 2011, 01:56:06 AM »
I am about level 80 in smithing but only perked up to ebony.

Easiest way to level smithing insanely fast: collect EVERY pelt you come across. Break them down in to leather and strips. Make hide bracers ad naseum. They only cost 1 leather and 2 strips but you level insanely fast in smithing. You can go up 40 levels in smithing in an hour if you really want to.  

• Go Gators
  • Faded as fuck
« Reply #185 on: November 17, 2011, 07:57:11 AM »
MotherFUCK the Falmer. Filthy eyeless bugkeeping cocks.

Offline muzzington

« Reply #186 on: November 17, 2011, 08:37:14 AM »

• Go Gators
  • Faded as fuck
« Reply #187 on: November 17, 2011, 09:28:09 AM »

Wu'Tang Cat ain't nuthin' ta fuck wit.

TIIIGAH STYYYYLE

I'm drinking heavily in celebration.

Offline Edwin

« Reply #188 on: November 17, 2011, 11:20:46 AM »
Nice!  Archery is really cool in this game.  A way more satisfying thrum of the string than in Oblivion.  I've played for about 9 hours and have yet to run into a giant, though.

I've been walking everywhere, and just found out that you can hire carriages to some of the major towns you haven't been.  Interesting. 

Offline Mik

• Lightswitch Rave!
    • Neville Longbottom
« Reply #189 on: November 17, 2011, 01:44:26 PM »
Killing the first giant is an epic feeling indeed. Unfortunately they become easy.

Just found the Orc ebony mine... HOLY SHIT.

Upgraded everything to legendary. Ebony mace (legendary) - 74 Damage. Ebony armor (legendary) - 166 armor. Both the boots and gauntlets have 70 armor and the helmet 82. I might not even go further. I feel like an indestructible tank right now.

Offline Edwin

« Reply #190 on: November 18, 2011, 12:02:10 PM »
I finally found my first giant!  I was walking from Windhelm down to the Eldergrove for the Blessings of Nature quest, and there he was.  I just kinda followed him around for a while, and then he dipped away.  A few minutes later, I was looting a burial mound sort of thing, and a couple of wandering mages found me.  They started launching ice spikes, and then BOOOOOOM into the sky.  Straight-up end-of-Jurassic-park move as the giant came back out and leveled them.  Then he kinda looked up at me, and walked away again.  I guess they got a little close to his turf.

Also, on the same trip, a dragon totally wrecked the guy traveling with me, who popped up in the chapel and said it had been his life's dream to see the Eldergrove.  Whoops!

Offline The Real DXP

• daileyxplanet
    • TrevorTwitter
« Reply #191 on: November 18, 2011, 12:57:39 PM »
I saw some screen shots of steampunk robots, color me excited.

Offline Edwin

« Reply #192 on: November 18, 2011, 01:12:38 PM »
They are fucking mean.

Offline Damaramu

« Reply #193 on: November 18, 2011, 04:47:15 PM »
I'm OCD about completing every quest listed on my log. So I hate it when I talk to some asshole and he tries to give me a quest I don't want to do and then suddenly it appears in my quest screen. Dammit. Just happened with the Dark Brotherhood and the Thieves guild.

So I've got two different ones. One says "Join the Imperial Legion" and another says "Join the Stormcloak Rebellion". Do these affect the game or is joining one or the other basically the same as joining a guild?

Offline AlaskanHero

« Reply #194 on: November 18, 2011, 05:30:47 PM »
Killing the first giant is an epic feeling indeed. Unfortunately they become easy.

Just found the Orc ebony mine... HOLY SHIT.

Upgraded everything to legendary. Ebony mace (legendary) - 74 Damage. Ebony armor (legendary) - 166 armor. Both the boots and gauntlets have 70 armor and the helmet 82. I might not even go further. I feel like an indestructible tank right now.
Yeah, when I found that mine, I was real happy, though I went with the Daedric Armor and weapons instead.

• Go Gators
  • Faded as fuck
« Reply #195 on: November 18, 2011, 05:39:15 PM »
They are fucking mean.

I just encountered these in that dig site near Winterhold. Wu'Tang is a seasoned killer now, so the spiders and spheres didn't tap my resources too much. THEN, I found a god damn Centurion. I wisely decided to sneak and potshot since it was the size of a Giant, AND a robot.  The giant is still my proudest kill, because that was on open ground.

Offline A Happy Medium

• CXF Writer
« Reply #196 on: November 18, 2011, 06:21:58 PM »
I decided to make a second game with a Nord named Lisa Lionheart.  I forget how hard melee combat is when you're only a level two.

Offline LPM

• Marka For La Parka
« Reply #197 on: November 18, 2011, 07:33:02 PM »
I decided to make a second game with a Nord named Lisa Lionheart.  I forget how hard melee combat is when you're only a level two.

How dare you not call her Stupid Lisa Garbageface.

Offline Kinsey

• Kinsey
« Reply #198 on: November 18, 2011, 09:53:54 PM »
Ugh. I need this game. I had to choose between the woman and this game and I think I chose wrong...

Offline Mik

• Lightswitch Rave!
    • Neville Longbottom
« Reply #199 on: November 18, 2011, 10:22:52 PM »
So I've got two different ones. One says "Join the Imperial Legion" and another says "Join the Stormcloak Rebellion". Do these affect the game or is joining one or the other basically the same as joining a guild?

I haven't done it yet but it affects the game big time. There is an entire civil war questline and the final quest for both sides is taking the other side's base city. Meaning either Windhelm or Solitude will change forever when the quest is completed.

As for that ebony armor I mentioned earlier... I was walking around feeling invincible until I ran in to a mage who was one-shotting me regularly. I only beat him when I swallowed my pride and threw up a ward. I like that there is always a challenge.