Author Topic: Soda thread  (Read 27377 times)

Description:

Offline Venkman

• Dr Venkman PhD
  • You don't know me and you don't have to know me
Soda thread
« Reply #100 on: August 20, 2011, 07:16:47 AM »
This is the soda thread.

Offline Vitamin X

Soda thread
« Reply #101 on: August 20, 2011, 08:59:12 AM »
Yes, it is.

Offline CanadianGuitarist

Soda thread
« Reply #102 on: August 23, 2011, 05:46:09 PM »
If you can manage to stop drinking all soda for about a month's time, then go back and try it, it will taste pretty outrageous and you will get a better perspective of why soda used to be considered sort of a "treat" of a drink, not meant as a beverage to be consumed daily with just about every meal.

The only thing I can even manage to take a few sips of nowadays is rootbeer when I am eating pizza, and even that only a few sips.

This happened to my grandmother a few weeks ago. She hadn't really been a pop drinker for years, but being diabetic since 2000, she'd cut it out almost entirely. Without hyperbole, the first time I saw her order something other than ice water and coffee with a meal at a restaurant was 2006. Anyway, she'd seen some pink cream soda at a convenience store and, while I'm sure she'd at least been aware of pink cream soda, she got especially nostalgic and bought a 591ml bottle. I went to see her that afternoon, and she said she'd had two sips and that was plenty. She gave me the bottle, and I had maybe a third of the bottle. Luckily, my roommate finished it.

Offline muzzington

Soda thread
« Reply #103 on: August 25, 2011, 12:21:10 PM »
I'd already started drinking less soft drinks and now usually only have them with meals, which is lucky because that's what my dentist suggested to do, extra saliva and whatnot.

The amount of different flavours and brands here pales in comparison to the states.

Offline jimmy no nose

Soda thread
« Reply #104 on: October 07, 2011, 06:59:34 AM »
Have you guys been coming across these Coca Cola Freestyle machines recently?  I never saw one before today, but I've heard there are a few that have popped up around town in the last few weeks.  I almost felt obligated to try something different and ended up drinking a Grape Sprite.  I don't recommend that.

Online Brooklyn Zoo

• BZ
  • BZ
Soda thread
« Reply #105 on: October 07, 2011, 11:45:10 AM »
Grape Sprite sounds good.

I've been drinking grape soda here and there. I didn't realize till recently that a bottle of grape soda is like 300 calories.

Offline Byron The Bulp

• Byron the bulb
  • Byron the bulb
Soda thread
« Reply #106 on: October 07, 2011, 11:50:01 AM »
Can we add grandmaspinkcreamsoda.com to the new board name contest?

Offline Amy pats fan

• P dot Roy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • hashtag trashbag
Soda thread
« Reply #107 on: October 08, 2011, 05:34:53 PM »
Grape Sprite sounds good.

I've been drinking grape soda here and there. I didn't realize till recently that a bottle of grape soda is like 300 calories.

Offline Nymyzys

• TRTSM's Color Commentator
Soda thread
« Reply #108 on: October 12, 2011, 03:15:14 AM »
I enjoy the hell out of some Vanilla Sprite in the freestyle machine.  I recently started mixing it with Grape or Strawberry Sprite as well. 

Offline Venkman

• Dr Venkman PhD
Soda thread
« Reply #109 on: October 12, 2011, 05:12:44 AM »
I would like to try a Grape Coke.

Offline Byron The Bulp

• Byron the bulb
  • Byron the bulb
Soda thread
« Reply #110 on: October 13, 2011, 02:44:46 AM »
I don't understand the purpose of Dr. Pepper 10. Diet Dr. Pepper already tastes exactly like the original and it's got zero calories!

Offline "Dot Com" Matt Postin (heel)

• Poster of the Year
Soda thread
« Reply #111 on: October 13, 2011, 02:45:37 AM »
It's not for women.

Offline Nymyzys

Soda thread
« Reply #112 on: October 13, 2011, 03:28:29 AM »
Probably uses a different sweetener.  It will probably go the way of C2 and the rarely-seen Pepsi One.

Offline Vitamin X

Soda thread
« Reply #113 on: October 13, 2011, 04:29:43 AM »
It's not like the sweeteners are anything better, it's just an aspartame/Ace-k mix with a bit of HFCS mixed in.

Speaking of HFCS, I'm really happy to see all the real sugar sodas back on the market. I don't drink soda all the time (especially since I've been working on losing weight, but even then) but there's a lot of alternatives out there since Pepsi tried out their throwback lines and decided to keep them. I've had 12 packs of Mtn. Dew and Pepsi Throwback in the house, as well as 2 liters of Sierra Mist Natural. Only sodas I've had or had around with HFCS or artificial sweeteners are Sun Drop because it's so fucking good, or Diet Dr Pepper. The only one I'd really wish I could see more of would be the Dr. Pepper Throwback. Only way to get them is to order them from Texas, and I don't have the patience for that. Bring it back, Dr. Pep!

Online AA484

• CXF Writer
Soda thread
« Reply #114 on: October 13, 2011, 11:53:54 AM »
You're luckier than those of us here in Carolina, I don't even think I've seen a throwback in the stores at all.

I don't drink sodas on any day but Friday, because I usually eat pretty healthy and drink lots of water but sodas are my kryptonite.  So I just splurge on Fridays and drink one for lunch and maybe one for supper.  If I weaken during the week I might drink a Coke Zero or Diet Dr. P, although I have discovered that diet sodas have become somewhat of a natural laxative for me within the past few months  :-\

Offline Incandenza

Soda thread
« Reply #115 on: October 22, 2011, 03:41:31 AM »
I don't understand the purpose of Dr. Pepper 10. Diet Dr. Pepper already tastes exactly like the original and it's got zero calories!
Drinking 10 right now. It's practically indistinguishable from Diet, which, as you mentioned, is pretty much like regular Dr. Pepper. I'd say the marketing behind 10 is dumb, but then I guess that would make me dumb for buying it!

Offline Nymyzys

Re: Soda thread
« Reply #116 on: December 01, 2011, 08:07:14 PM »
Coca-Cola is pulling their white polar bear cans from shelves due to complaints with people confusing them with Diet Coke cans. People are stupid.

Offline Venkman

• Dr Venkman PhD
« Reply #117 on: December 10, 2011, 12:52:16 AM »
I fully agree people are stupid, but I called that happening the moment I saw the can - that moment being someone drinking it at work and me thinking it was a can of Diet Coke.

I had a Stewart's Cherries and Cream Soda while in the US - that was pretty great. Picked up a 4 pack of Diet Oranges and Cream and that was also very good.

Offline Amy pats fan

• P dot Roy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • hashtag trashbag
« Reply #118 on: December 10, 2011, 12:58:08 AM »
A grocery store in my area is selling the white coke cans ridiculously cheap, $3 for 3 6pks, so it's worth looking around for deals if you're a coke drinker

Offline Vitamin X

« Reply #119 on: December 10, 2011, 11:08:50 AM »
I'm more of a coke sniffer, but thanks for the offer

Offline "Dot Com" Matt Postin (heel)

• Poster of the Year
« Reply #120 on: January 20, 2012, 01:56:08 PM »

Offline Byron The Bulp

• Byron the bulb
  • Byron the bulb

Offline Star Ocean 3

• Star Ocean 2
« Reply #122 on: February 09, 2012, 09:19:42 AM »
Chocolate soda is always disappointing. It sounds like it should be good, because it's chocolate, but I've never had a good one.

Offline MFer

• The Future Has Arrived
  • Admin
« Reply #123 on: March 26, 2012, 03:17:03 PM »
I tried Pepsi Next. Tastes fine to me.

Offline oldskool

• DO IT with your female best friend ROCKAPELLA
  • CXF Writer
  • oldskool
« Reply #124 on: March 27, 2012, 09:25:28 AM »
I bought a 20oz of Next and then promptly forgot to drink it & left it with my fiancee.

FUCK i had drumsticks in the freezer, I didn't eat those either. goddamnit. concussions are serious shit, I can't remember anything lately.

Offline Teenage Mutant King Kamala

• CXF Writer
« Reply #125 on: March 27, 2012, 10:10:28 AM »
I quit drinking soda in December or so and have had no cravings for it whatsoever in the past three months until the last week or two when it started getting warm. What the hell? Soda isn't even that great of a thirst quencher!

Offline starvenger

« Reply #126 on: March 27, 2012, 02:54:38 PM »
I quit mid-Jan.  I do get a craving occasionally, and I think it's the carbonation.  My workplace used to have Perrier in cans, and when I had the craving, it did the trick.  This does not help me at home, seeing as I'm too cheap to buy fizzy water.
Starvenger

Offline Vitamin X

« Reply #127 on: March 27, 2012, 03:01:53 PM »
Get a soda siphon off Amazon. They cost around $40-50 and then you can get 100 co2 cartridges for like $35 as well. Stuff works really well.

Offline Smues

• Admin
  • Smuesicide
« Reply #128 on: March 28, 2012, 06:10:53 AM »
I've got a SodaStream machine. Not as good as brand name soda, but we've saved a bunch of money and I've gotten used to the taste of Splenda.
I want Jimmy Fallon to be dead. That doesn't make me a bad person.

Offline Nymyzys

« Reply #129 on: March 31, 2012, 03:24:49 AM »
Diet Mt. Dew Supernova is pretty decent though Quiznos is the only place in town where I've been able to find any.  Shame Voltage lost out on the voting last Summer.  It gave me happy memories of Pepsi Blue.

I think I was the only person who LOVED Diet Cherry Chocolate Dr. Pepper when it was out in 2008.

Mod Edit: Malware warning

Offline Gert

« Reply #130 on: May 10, 2012, 03:54:53 PM »
Have you guys seen any Coca-Cola Freestyle Machines at restaurants in your area? I've seen one at a BK and LaRosa's. While I have not tried any Diet Coke Orange or Peach Sprite I do like it because it means more fountain drinks at these places.

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #131 on: May 10, 2012, 04:00:11 PM »
Have you guys seen any Coca-Cola Freestyle Machines at restaurants in your area? I've seen one at a BK and LaRosa's. While I have not tried any Diet Coke Orange or Peach Sprite I do like it because it means more fountain drinks at these places.

I've only seen them at Five Guys locally.  Don't drink soda myself but my friends had soem good combinations.  I enjoy having the variety of Hi-C or low cal Minute Maid drinks.  The biggest thing is watching confused people approach the machine.
[img width=800

Fan: WHY CAN REY BEAT BIG GUYS BUT NOT KIDMAN
Kevin Nash: Kidman wears a wife beater

Offline Broward

• THUGBUTT CHEATERS
« Reply #132 on: May 16, 2012, 01:30:33 PM »
Only one I've seen is at a place called Jerry Built Burgers. The Five Guys near my apartment hasn't gotten the Freestyle yet which sucks because the Jerry's is too far for just a fuckin large soda.

Offline Venkman

• Dr Venkman PhD
« Reply #133 on: July 06, 2012, 08:12:42 AM »
I finally tried the much ballyhooed Mountain Dew White Out while in the US - worth it.

Offline KingPK

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
    • Spinning In The Tray
« Reply #134 on: July 07, 2012, 01:40:23 PM »
On a whim I started ordering IBC Root Beer at a few restaurants that carried it and now I buy a 6 pack every week.  Tasty.

Offline MFer

• The Future Has Arrived
  • Admin
« Reply #135 on: December 24, 2012, 12:50:00 PM »
Been on a cream soda kick lately. No brand necessarily stands out right, but I did have a butterscotch version that was fucking awesome.

Offline Captain of Outer Space

• 🆁🅴🅳🆁🆄🅼🅺🅲🆄🅵🅸
  • reaching for the sky just to surrender
    • Greengrocer of Despair's Youtube Apocalypse
« Reply #136 on: January 13, 2013, 03:55:26 PM »
Got a SodaStream today. Looking forward to experimenting with different syrups and juices. We seldom have cherry cola of any kind in this area, so homebrewing some might be first up. The orange mango flavor is great too.

Offline Smues

• Admin
  • Smuesicide
« Reply #137 on: January 18, 2013, 09:38:58 AM »
I've got one of those. Took me a little bit to get used to the taste, but once you adapt it's not bad at all. I've only used the sodastream syrups, if you could up with something different that's good let me know.

I didn't care about Dr. Pepper 10 because I like diet Dr. Pepper just fine, and the marketing campaign was awful. But I saw at the grocery store this week A&W 10, 7-up 10, and Orange Sunkist 10. $.25 for a can or $3 for a 12 pack, which is a steal up here (must be an introductary price) so I picked up some of each. I don't like diet 7-up or diet A&W, but the 10 versions are pretty tasty. Ditto the sunkist, though I'd never had diet sunkist.

Offline Amy pats fan

• P dot Roy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • hashtag trashbag
« Reply #138 on: January 18, 2013, 04:58:26 PM »
I have a Sodastream.  I don't drink soda very often, but the syrup samples that came with it were pretty accurate.  I didn't like any of the liquid "seltzer" flavorings that came in the little nip sized bottles. 

I mostly just make plain seltzer and put a lemon or lime in it or cut it with juice.  The lo-carb energy mix is ok, but it doesn't really taste like Diet Redbull which is what it's supposed to approximate.

Offline Captain of Outer Space

• 🆁🅴🅳🆁🆄🅼🅺🅲🆄🅵🅸
  • reaching for the sky just to surrender
    • Greengrocer of Despair's Youtube Apocalypse
« Reply #139 on: January 31, 2013, 08:28:51 AM »
Torani / Da Vinci syrups work quite well with Sodastream. Butter Rum and Cherry both seem to be successes.

Offline Venkman

• Dr Venkman PhD
« Reply #140 on: January 31, 2013, 12:03:39 PM »
How about Vicks?

Offline Amy pats fan

• P dot Roy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • hashtag trashbag
« Reply #141 on: January 31, 2013, 03:04:29 PM »

Offline Venkman

• Dr Venkman PhD
« Reply #142 on: January 31, 2013, 04:38:53 PM »
That was the reference.

Offline tekcop

• CXF Writer
  • TSM's Finest
« Reply #143 on: January 31, 2013, 05:49:21 PM »
You're better than that, Roy.

Offline tekcop

• CXF Writer
  • TSM's Finest
« Reply #144 on: February 10, 2013, 05:13:24 PM »

Online Brooklyn Zoo

• BZ
  • BZ
« Reply #145 on: February 10, 2013, 05:24:49 PM »

Offline jimmy no nose

« Reply #146 on: March 21, 2013, 01:42:39 PM »
I have to say I thought the Coke Freestyle machine was a really cool idea when they first came out, but have come to realize that it's awful.  The problem with having 105 flavors come out of one nozzle is that...105 flavors come out of one nozzle.  Don't even think about ordering a regular Coke from one of these things.  It's just overpowered by a weird lime/orange flavor.  It doesn't seem to be a time-specific or even machine-specific thing.  I've had it happen several different places.

Offline Kotzenjunge

• looptid
  • Kotzenjunge
    • A site I wrote.
« Reply #147 on: March 25, 2013, 10:56:18 AM »

Offline tekcop

• CXF Writer
  • TSM's Finest
« Reply #148 on: March 25, 2013, 11:26:31 AM »
Besides me? I liked it alright. I don't really dip pop-slushies, though. I've gotten regular Baja Blast whenever I've been to Taco Bell since.

Offline Smues

• Admin
  • Smuesicide
« Reply #149 on: March 25, 2013, 12:24:30 PM »
It was ok, but I'm also that weirdo who doesn't jack off over Baja Blast Mountain Dew.