Author Topic: The Doctor is in: the Doctor Who thread  (Read 10870 times)

Description:

Offline Youth N Asia

• 2016 & 2017 Death Pool Reaper
  • STRONG STYLE!
Re: The Doctor is in: the Doctor Who thread
« Reply #150 on: September 17, 2015, 11:48:55 AM »
Still playing catch up. Just watched the 50th anniversary and have one more with Smith. While Jenna Coleman is distractingly pretty, I'm not feeling her in the series. I may have been too hung up on losing Amy and Rory.

Offline CletusVanDamme

• BlackFlagg
« Reply #151 on: September 21, 2015, 04:09:31 AM »
Awesome start to the season, already watched the ep twice and kinda wanna watch it again :D

Offline Captain of Outer Space

• 🆁🅴🅳🆁🆄🅼🅺🅲🆄🅵🅸
  • reaching for the sky just to surrender
    • Greengrocer of Despair's Youtube Apocalypse
« Reply #152 on: September 22, 2015, 12:25:56 PM »
I accidentally spoiled it for myself so I'll just say I'm chomping at the bit to find out about
Spoiler: show
the genesis of Davros

Offline Captain of Outer Space

• 🆁🅴🅳🆁🆄🅼🅺🅲🆄🅵🅸
  • reaching for the sky just to surrender
    • Greengrocer of Despair's Youtube Apocalypse
« Reply #153 on: November 21, 2015, 11:15:09 PM »
So with a two-part episode left to go in the series,
Clara is already dead and is still to appear in those two episodes
. This is also the first series in a while that has lacked a true Big Bad.

Offline Youth N Asia

• STRONG STYLE!
« Reply #155 on: July 16, 2017, 03:18:08 AM »
I feel like this will get the same treatment as Finn in Star Wars. I'll see a bunch of articles about how people are so pissed off about the female doctor (or black storm trooper). But I'll never see the actual outrage. Just articles talking about how everyone is allegedly freaking out.

She great on Broadchurch. It's such a soul crushing and joyless show that'll be nice seeing her in something lighter.

I didn't initially like Capaldi. He took about a season and a half to grow on me. But I was really liking him at the end of his run.

Offline Mr. S£im Citrus

• Representing Blacks Without Soul since 1975
« Reply #156 on: July 16, 2017, 09:32:18 AM »
A whole lot of fragile-ass 'men' on the internet seem to be in their feelings about the new Doctor.

Offline no fact, no matter

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #157 on: July 16, 2017, 10:06:10 AM »
YNA, just because you don't visit the places where it's happening, doesn't mean it's not happening.
You should probably put your bandit hat on now.

Offline Youth N Asia

• STRONG STYLE!
« Reply #158 on: July 16, 2017, 10:09:46 AM »
YNA, just because you don't visit the places where it's happening, doesn't mean it's not happening.

That could be th case. I pretty much just hang out on Facebook, here, and just a couple other stops.

Kind of a ballsy move for them. Ratings dipped with Capaldi. Surprised they didn't play it safe

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #159 on: July 22, 2018, 04:40:20 AM »
With a female Doctor on the way, I finally got around to watching & finishing up Series 1 (starting with 2005) & Christopher Eccleston as the lead. Such good stuff I dunno why I've never gotten around to this before. So charming, some dark stories, BBC British humor, and corny effects.

I'm also gonna try and watch the Christmas Specials in order with the DW series although a few don't seem to be on Prime (namely the first 3 or 4? Let me know if I'm wrong here) so I'll have to rely online.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
  • Spectrox Toxaemia
« Reply #160 on: July 22, 2018, 04:49:55 AM »
The Christmas specials might be just part of a season if they aren't there. I think it was like that with The Christmas Invasion, at least.

I'm still wayyy behind on the Capaldi stories, but dude was awesome. Everything I wanted, which was basically House but in space. But yeah, I have pretty much 50+ years of Doctor Who stuff. Kind of a problem. Very good problem.

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #161 on: August 07, 2018, 08:16:39 AM »
Turns out Valeyard was right and they are listed with their respective seasons. Finished up Season 2 and Season 3.

Right now I prefer S2 the most (that final episode!) and David Tennant's grown a lot on me in part b/c I loved Eccleston's work a lot. Blink was a damn good episode for S3 though (is that also the origin of the "timey-wimey" quote?) but I feel like I won't remember as much from the season itself as a whole.

I've heard a ton of love for Season 4 so I'm very excited to be starting that one up.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
  • Spectrox Toxaemia
« Reply #162 on: August 07, 2018, 09:40:49 AM »
"Human Nature/Family of Blood" is my favorite story of all time.

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #163 on: August 07, 2018, 12:34:49 PM »
"Human Nature/Family of Blood" is my favorite story of all time.

Yeah, that pairing is the other one that I may remember the most from S3 along with maybe Daleks in Manhattan (I preferred this to its 2nd parter episode Evolution of the Daleks)

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
  • Spectrox Toxaemia
« Reply #164 on: August 07, 2018, 02:30:43 PM »
"Blink" is really good, but just got ruined by memes and (more for me) the DVD commentary of Steven Moffat where he just leers at Carey Mulligan the whole time. The first two parts of the finale I thought were amazing, but that third one totally ruined it.

Season two finale is awesome, as someone who hates Rose (but also for people who love Rose, somehow). Any season with Cybermen and Sarah Jane is by and large cool by me.

You'll dig season 4.

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #165 on: August 14, 2018, 10:29:01 AM »
Just finished Turn Left, fucking ace episode but I love me some alternate future episodes. Greatly enjoying this season a ton though.

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #166 on: September 12, 2018, 03:36:47 AM »
Finished off Season 4 and awesome stuff. Slowly making my way through Season 5 with Matt Smith (and Karen Gilligan) now.

The new Dr. Who's Global Premiere is October 7th, very psyched about it. Also like that I don't need to be a massive fan to get into the new series although I've very much enjoyed watching this stuff thus far.

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #167 on: September 21, 2018, 08:17:50 AM »
BBC America will be doing a 13 Days of Dr. Who leading up to the global premiere. Just finished up Season 5 and enjoyed it a lot. Season 6 was kind of a mixed bag for me and I'll mostly be jumping around S7 - S10 probably.

S7's The Angels Take Manhattan is fabulously great fantastic stuff. I never knew angel statues could be so creepy but Dr. Who's cemented the fact I'm never looking at statues, especially angels, the same ever again. Every angels ep is creepy af.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
  • Spectrox Toxaemia
« Reply #168 on: September 21, 2018, 10:56:55 AM »
The Van Gogh one alone makes Matt Smith's run for me. But Amy and Rory are top five all time companions.

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #169 on: September 21, 2018, 11:37:43 AM »
The Van Gogh one alone makes Matt Smith's run for me. But Amy and Rory are top five all time companions.

Totally agreed. I didn't much care for the Melody/River Song stuff so that's why I'm probably more lukewarm towards S6 than most fans might otherwise be.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
  • Spectrox Toxaemia
« Reply #170 on: September 21, 2018, 11:45:50 AM »
River Song is a character that's really fun in small doses, but you can't use to that degree. The fun was the chemistry and mystery and all that, then she got radically overexposed to where I was almost happy when she left. Less was more. I have heard her audio stories are good fun, though.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
  • Spectrox Toxaemia
« Reply #171 on: September 22, 2018, 02:37:17 PM »
Catching up myself. Capaldi is my favorite Doctor since they brought the show back. Also I don't think I've gone from "this guy knows what he's doing!" to "this guy is a fucking hack fraud!" quite like I have with Steven Moffat. We'll always have Coupling.

Offline Youth N Asia

• STRONG STYLE!
« Reply #172 on: September 22, 2018, 02:58:19 PM »
Catching up myself. Capaldi is my favorite Doctor since they brought the show back. Also I don't think I've gone from "this guy knows what he's doing!" to "this guy is a fucking hack fraud!" quite like I have with Steven Moffat. We'll always have Coupling.

Coupling is legit my favorite sitcom of all time.

Smith is my favorite Doctor. But I’ve liked everyone since the show returned. My only bitch about the new season (that hasn’t aired) is that I don’t like the idea of the gang of companions.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
  • Spectrox Toxaemia
« Reply #173 on: September 23, 2018, 07:59:58 AM »
It's one of mine too. First three seasons are awesome, fourth has some really good moments. Only gripe, and it goes through to his Doctor Who stuff to a degree, is how limited Moffat can get when writing women.

Capaldi's been my favorite by a wide margin, but Tennant's still the one who got me into the whole series and is my Doctor. Capaldi's just great. It's all I ever wanted out of the show: House in space. I like all the new series Doctors for various reasons, but Capaldi's my favorite.

If they handle it right, a group is fine. They did it with the Fifth Doctor and it went decently, but I'm so wary of the writing this next season I've got concerns. I really hope they know what they're doing.

Offline Youth N Asia

• STRONG STYLE!
« Reply #174 on: September 23, 2018, 10:23:57 AM »
It's one of mine too. First three seasons are awesome, fourth has some really good moments. Only gripe, and it goes through to his Doctor Who stuff to a degree, is how limited Moffat can get when writing women

Losing Jeff reeeeeeeally hurt the final season. It was hard to give a damn about Oliver.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
  • Spectrox Toxaemia
« Reply #175 on: September 23, 2018, 12:47:01 PM »
It crippled the whole show, for sure. The second season, though, is one of the best runs a sitcom can possibly have.

I like to think that the story Steve tells in one of the early episodes about the friend of his who shouted "Geronimo!" when having sex puts Coupling in the same universe as Doctor Who.

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #176 on: September 24, 2018, 06:23:17 AM »
It's one of mine too. First three seasons are awesome, fourth has some really good moments. Only gripe, and it goes through to his Doctor Who stuff to a degree, is how limited Moffat can get when writing women.

Capaldi's been my favorite by a wide margin, but Tennant's still the one who got me into the whole series and is my Doctor. Capaldi's just great. It's all I ever wanted out of the show: House in space. I like all the new series Doctors for various reasons, but Capaldi's my favorite.

Agreed on the writing of women (not helped that I adored Rose in S1 and S2 as she's by far my favorite companion). Just started up S8 and Capaldi's already so fantastic.

My Doctor Ranking: David Tennant, Christopher Eccleston, Matt Smith with Capaldi TBD. I really, really liked Eccleston's job but I've always been a fan of his as an actor. I don't think he gets the proper credit for the way he played the Doctor as a bit more... guarded/haunted in comparison to the actors who followed him. Tennant was really good and grew on me more and more. Smith was solid but never quite grabbed me on screen.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
  • Spectrox Toxaemia
« Reply #177 on: September 24, 2018, 08:01:45 AM »
Moffat's writing of women is bizarre. It's always been the one thing that really bugs me. With Coupling, he wrote the men spectacularly, but tended to just rely on a lot of stereotype for the women, and I love that show like a family member. I'll always point to River's regeneration and her first thought being "how much do I weigh?" as the ultimate Moffat (the wedging in interspecies lesbians is directly behind).

The more I get in Capaldi's run, the more I love him. He makes everything work, even the Clara anchor her was stuck with. I'd argue that he develops much more naturally and satisfyingly than the others. The mix of arrogance and insecurity is perfect. He's really House in space.

I think Eccleston is finally kicking himself for leaving. If he'd had the chance to develop, he'd be an all-timer.

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #178 on: September 24, 2018, 08:17:55 AM »
Yeah, I read he had issues with one of the producers? which is why he left the show. As much as I enjoyed the Tennant Dr./Rose interaction in Season 2, I always felt a little robbed that it wasn't a proper conclusion with Eccleston in the Doctor role.

Offline Youth N Asia

• STRONG STYLE!
« Reply #179 on: September 24, 2018, 08:44:02 AM »
I loved Eccleston, but he had some really bad episodes in his run to no fault of his own. It would have been so nice to see him for just a moment in the 50th anniversary special.

And I liked Capaldi waaaaaay more at the end of his run that in the beginning. The speech to the Master about just being kind was teriffic.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
  • Spectrox Toxaemia
« Reply #180 on: September 24, 2018, 09:27:37 AM »
Eccleston's run had better stories than Tennant overall, I think. Slitheen ruin all things, though. Him and Rose were wayyyyy better and much more interesting, I thought, and I say that as someone who hated Rose with a white hot passion. There was a great slow burn that could've gone any direction they wanted, but never got realized. But yeah, writing was spotty as fuck. "Dalek" though is a personal favorite.

Speaking of slow burns, that's what I love about Capaldi. He spends the whole time trying to both find himself and carry all that weight from his past selves, while just being an insecure douchebag. It's everything I dug about the First, Fourth, and Fifth Doctor in one. Biggest negative is that he's almost from a different era, but again that might be what I dig most.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
  • Spectrox Toxaemia
« Reply #181 on: September 24, 2018, 09:30:03 AM »
The 50th is just so weird, though. Tennant is phoning it in and they clearly had to just sub in John Hurt for Eccleston, which was really good but still not right. If I recall, to answer HQ, I think Eccleston was just an asshole to people and claimed the show was unsafe working conditions for the actors. Seems like no one liked him due to his attitude anyway. I think now he's finally admitting he shouldn't have left after years of bashing it.

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #182 on: October 07, 2018, 02:41:28 AM »
Finally finished up Seasons 9 and 10. Capaldi was a ton of fun though I still preferred Tennant and he's a B to Smith's A for me. The S9 episodes of his self-torture/desire to fix it all were fantastic stuff and sold me on Capaldi even more.

BBC America will be airing a special 2 Hour version of the Season 11 premiere from 8:00/5:00 to 10:00/7:00 PM and then airing separated versions directly afterwards tonight!

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #183 on: October 10, 2018, 03:37:08 AM »
I liked the premiere well enough and am already a fan of Jodie Whittaker (she reminds me a lot of David Tennant as the Doctor). Glad they
killed off the mum
and found the companions/group surprisingly likable individually and as a whole.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
  • Spectrox Toxaemia
« Reply #184 on: December 03, 2018, 03:51:59 PM »
After seeing a few of these (I'm behind), this whole thing kinda sucks. Jody Whitaker needs better direction than "be David Tennant," because it seems like that's all she's been given. I know she and the rest --from actors to writers to production-- need to find a groove of some kind, but it's feeling very forced and a little grim. None of that is the fault of the cast (despite my personal feelings about the modern Team TARDIS feeling more like pre-morph Power Rangers), but the writing is just not there. Night and day. Moffat should've left, but at least with him around someone was steering the ship. Right now it feels like a team of writers are in over their heads, starting from absolute scratch like they have to.

I really hate the Doctor's outfit, by the way. It doesn't feel unique in any way. There's nothing iconic, really.

Offline Youth N Asia

• STRONG STYLE!
« Reply #185 on: December 03, 2018, 04:05:09 PM »
I’m behind as well. Watched the spider episode last.

Jodie is just fine. But these episodes just aren’t good. They just don’t feel like Doctor Who.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
  • Spectrox Toxaemia
« Reply #186 on: December 03, 2018, 04:14:35 PM »
That's the thing. It doesn't feel like Doctor Who. Jody Whitaker has the tools to be a really fun Doctor, as long as she makes it her own. But it just isn't what it needs to be when this season should be the most important since the show came back. But it has none of the unique feel the rest had, and I'm blaming writers. It reminded me a lot of the Sarah Jane Adventures, actually.

Offline Youth N Asia

• STRONG STYLE!
« Reply #187 on: December 03, 2018, 04:27:16 PM »
Three companions are just way too much as well. We should be getting to know the new Doctor better. But instead there’s so much time spent on companions now.

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #188 on: December 04, 2018, 12:05:04 AM »
Agreed with all of it. I want to get into this but outside of Jody, who's doing a female David Tennant (which isn't a bad thing really), I'm finding it really hard to care and even watch actual episodes because I know the plots are going to be pretty bland and/or boring. I also blame this on not really having interesting companions that stand out. You have 3 of them(!) and yet they'd all rank well below the other companions in season's past in part because none of them seem to really have great chemistry with Jody either.

Offline no fact, no matter

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #189 on: December 04, 2018, 12:49:57 AM »
Sadly, I fell out of this show a few episodes into the Capaldi Doctor. I was really excited for him, but it just turned out so underwhelming (what I saw anyway). Definitely also blaming this on the writing, btw, not the actor.
You should probably put your bandit hat on now.

Offline Youth N Asia

• STRONG STYLE!
« Reply #190 on: December 04, 2018, 03:59:54 AM »
Capaldi took a while to grow on me. I ended up liking him, but it was slow. It was weird going from two young happy Doctors to a cranky old one. But ultimately I’m glad they’re trying new things.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
  • Spectrox Toxaemia
« Reply #191 on: December 04, 2018, 07:53:11 AM »
I love Capaldi but yes, it started much slower than it should've. I don't get why they didn't at least try to hit the ground running like they did with everyone else. But a LOT of Doctor Who comes down to the writing. Tennant's my Doctor, but I firmly believe he had more terrible stories than he had good ones.

The companion thing was done wrong, in my opinion. Like, in the old series, they introduced three companions at the very end of the Fourth Doctor's run. But they did it one at a time, through different stories, and they all had a reason (and only one really silly) to be there. When Tom Baker's run ended, they'd already had time to build --or set some level of groundwork-- for the characters by the time he regenerated into the Fifth Doctor. Having them transition, however briefly, from one Doctor to the next made a WORLD of difference because they reacted differently and the characters developed to an extent. Much easier transition to just have them transition from one to the other, because they all were basically on the same page, overall.

Starting clean slate, with new Doctor and a team of companions, with new writers who frankly don't seem to quite get what makes the show special (at least not yet) was a really stupid thing to do, and fucks over the actors hard.

Offline BorneAgain

• One Cocky Cracka
« Reply #192 on: December 04, 2018, 08:05:01 AM »
From what I've seen, it has the sense of a show playing it so safe that while it doesn't hit RTD or Moffat's lows (emotional melodrama and overuse of the mystery box), its not really hitting their highs either. Surprisingly for a series with the first female Doctor, it feels like its breaking remarkably little new ground in either character or story.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
  • Spectrox Toxaemia
« Reply #193 on: December 04, 2018, 08:21:18 AM »
They're playing it SUPER safe. It's like a Doctor Who cover band.

RTD and Moffat, at their worst, never delivered on anything promised. Every multi-part RTD finale that didn't involve Canary Wharf didn't work. Moffat was either really good or jerking off to Weeping Angels and Silurian lesbians. But they understood the show, and got writers who understood the show. This feels like a team of just writers who got a great gig on a hot show but have no idea what made it hot in the first place.

Offline BorneAgain

• One Cocky Cracka
« Reply #194 on: December 04, 2018, 08:52:59 AM »
When the audience has no companion, no Doctor, and no showrunner as continuity to the previous season, you have to start out very strong to assuage potential audience fears/disinterest. Moffat pulled it off with Eleventh Hour, and it really helped that the rest of the 5th season was arguably his best as showrunner.

Series 11 at this point just has the excitement/novelty of Jodie and maybe the writing high point of Rosa; both of those can only go so far.

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #195 on: January 03, 2019, 03:23:55 AM »
Finished up Dr. Who: Resolution and it felt like more of the same, just a little longer. I also really dislike the TARDIS getting known by multiple people... just feels like a Batman with his Batcave thing, keep it small and pristine. Pacing felt off and I felt like set pieces overtook actual story depth & progression. Even the technology going down scene gag was just groan worthy and bottom of the barrel.

Offline Youth N Asia

• STRONG STYLE!
« Reply #196 on: January 03, 2019, 05:24:10 AM »
The wife and I are very slowly going through the season. We just finished the spaceship hospital one. There’s just no desire to power through this when there’s better tv elsewhere.

Jodie is just fine. No complaints with the job she’s doing. The stories are just uninteresting so far. And I’ve already said it, but three companions are two too many. I don’t want them involved with as much of the story as they are.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
  • Spectrox Toxaemia
« Reply #197 on: January 03, 2019, 11:11:45 AM »
I'm way behind, save clips here and there. People are being VERY defensive about it, it seems like.