Author Topic: Comics Misc: Image, Party, Dark Horse, Dynamite, Boom!  (Read 7847 times)

Description:

Offline Youth N Asia

• 2016 & 2017 Death Pool Reaper
  • Death Pool Winner
  • STRONG STYLE!
Re: Comics Misc: Image, Party, Dark Horse, Dynamite, Boom!
« Reply #50 on: May 02, 2013, 02:13:35 AM »

Squeeee!

Edit: This comes out tomorrow and I hadn't the slightest idea.

The text loaded before the picture did on my phone. I thought the book Squee was coming back.

Offline NoCalMike

• Welcome to Prime Time, bitch!
    • EVIL EPISODES PODCAST!
« Reply #51 on: May 06, 2013, 09:38:01 AM »
Reading REVIVAL from Image.

Here's a good write up without spoilers from USA Today
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/life/comics/story/2012-05-24/Revival-comic-book-series/55189774/1

The darkness of noir stories isn't just confined to big cities with femme fatales and hard-boiled detectives. That's why writer Tim Seeley and artist Mike Norton are embracing a whole new genre: farm noir.

Image Comics
There's something weird going on in rural Wisconsin in the upcoming Image Comics series Revival.
Enlarge
Image Comics
There's something weird going on in rural Wisconsin in the upcoming Image Comics series Revival.
Their new Image Comics series Revival, debuting July 11, doesn't just delve into rural intrigue, though. There's also horror, drama and some deep thinking involved when the dead residents of Wausau, Wis., aren't giving up the ghost like they should.
And don't think this is just another survival horror story, either. Seeley (Witchblade, Bloodstrike) and Norton (Battlepug) craft moods and story themes equally inspired by Elmore Leonard prose and Coen brothers small-town crime flicks.
"The zombie story has been done to death, and the themes of survival in those scenarios and 'Would you shoot your undead grandma?' stuff is pretty well covered," Seeley says. "But the idea that you have to actually deal with these people, once you've already accepted them as gone, was something we thought we could bring something new to."
Adds Norton: "The return of these people is scary on many levels. Are they here to hurt us? Eat our brains? The idea that they are also threatening how the different people involved in this story view their own existence is also very intriguing to me story-wise."
There are a couple of different meanings to the title Revival. One is the obvious: On "Revival Day," townsfolk that were previously deceased went back to living their normal lives, although with something just a bit off about them.
The other tends toward the religious, where people begin thinking of this event as part of the Rapture or at least the work of some kind of higher power that has led to the quarantine of an entire town.
Dana Cypress is a Rothschild policewoman put on the case when an animal is murdered and the prime suspect is one of the "revived." She has been jockeying for a promotion to detective, but her father, a Wisconsin sheriff, has tapped her to instead head up a special task force investigating all the unnatural occurrences.
There is also Dana's younger sister Martha, a college student who is the apple of their dad's eye, and much of Revival is about the relationship between the siblings. Not only is there a lot of history there as Seeley points out, "they are the centerpiece to the story," Norton adds.
The first issue opens with lines from a poem of Martha's from a creative-writing class. It will reappear in later issues, Seeley says, and references to "harvest" and other phrases will be clues to the overall themes and mystery of the book.
"Martha is a key player in the story," Norton says, "and her words do have meaning. Even if she doesn't quite know it yet."
(Martha's poem also appears as lyrics to one of the songs on a special Revival EP by Sono Morti, a side project inspired by the story and setting of the comic of the band The Vladimirs, which features Revival letterer Chris Crank on bass.)
The Cypress family is key to Revival, but there are other major players, too, according to Seeley.
Ibrahaim Ramin is a CDC biologist dealing with a crisis of faith. Lester Majak is a man nearing the end of his life, although he's doing his best not to act like it. May Tao is a reporter attempting to get out of town by using her fame. And Blaine Abel, a snowmobile repairman and part-time exorcist, is in search of the demon that hurt him.
"Tim is great at creating colorful casts," Norton says. "Everybody you meet in this version of Wausau is important at some point or another. The fact that I love some characters and actively dislike some — I'm looking at you, Blaine Abel! — is a testament to how fleshed out Tim's made these guys."
Most of the Revival cast are characters Seeley has been working on for a number of years, "but they never had a home," he says. So Seeley took them to his.
The writer had been looking to set a story in Wisconsin, and he himself grew up in Wausau.
"I was also really interested in the notion that horror stories often play off that idea of the need to escape," Seeley explains. "As a teenager in central Wisconsin, I spent a lot of time wanting to escape, and being afraid I'd always be stuck there.
"I'm older now, and I'm not such an angsty little bugger, but I still remember how powerful that fear was. I thought it'd be interesting to have a situation where people are literally stuck in their rural hometown, locked down in a quarantine."
Norton is from the "opposite direction" — specifically Jackson, Tenn. — and understood that flee-your-small-town mentality, he says. "Plus, I've been to Wausau several times. It's a lot like home. With snow."
The concept of Revival was brought up during a lunchtime walk with the two friends. Norton yearned to work on a project with real people and "a big, Lost-style mystery," he says, and Seeley had a "hankering" to delve into some farm noir.
"Farm noir tends to show the seething underbelly of what we consider the 'heart of America,' the conservative, blue collar, farming areas of the country," he says.
"The common aspects seem to be that a lot of tropes of a 'detective noir' are transported to a small-town rural setting, which changes their context a bit. It's no longer about the sins and kinks of our big cities. It's not about the dark sides of the rich or beautiful anymore."
Seeley's OK with people labeling Revival as a horror tale, too, but Norton doesn't feel there's much difference between that and and the core aspects of farm noir.
"It's the terror that hides behind the seemingly harmless small town every day that I think is really interesting," the artist says. "Noir is, by definition, dark. And Tim's got a lockdown on horror. It's a natural thing for him."
Of all the unnatural things going on in Wisconsin, there is also an alien-like white figure around who's spotted by Dana's son, Cooper. The "creep," as Seeley and Norton have been calling him, is important to the plot, and readers will get a good idea of what the creeps are near the end of the first arc.
"We are very conscious of making sure readers get some info as well as keep some mystery in this post-Lost world," Norton says.
Seeley adds that they won't answer all the questions right away, though, and especially not revealing all about Revival Day. Introducing the people and their situation is more important in the beginning than detailing what really happened to this small-town world.
"We will come back to it when it's important to our characters," Seeley says.
"The events of Revival Day are the biggest mystery of the book," Norton admits, "so that may be a while."
Get your TV Horror Fix w/the Podcast EVIL EPISODES! Listen at:
http://www.legionpodcasts.com/
http://www.horrorphilia.com

Offline Youth N Asia

• 2016 & 2017 Death Pool Reaper
  • Death Pool Winner
  • STRONG STYLE!
« Reply #52 on: May 06, 2013, 11:47:38 AM »
That's on my reading pile along with some Batman, Dawn, Invincible, and Fables.

Offline Krankor

• Krankor
« Reply #53 on: June 08, 2013, 07:51:11 PM »
Saga has still been awesome each month. I can't get enough of that series.

I read Jupiter's Legacy #1 a few weeks ago and thought it had promising start. I look forward to where Mark Millar will take that series.

East of West has been intriguing. I'm still not 100% hooked on the series, but I find the setting really interesting. I just don't give a damn about the characters yet.

Chew is still good ridiculous fun every month. Secret Agent Poyo is awesome.

I've been pretty disappointed with the Walking Dead the past few months. I think I'm going to go back to just reading that in TPB. Hardly anything of merit happens from issue to issue.

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
[img width=800

Fan: WHY CAN REY BEAT BIG GUYS BUT NOT KIDMAN
Kevin Nash: Kidman wears a wife beater

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #55 on: October 08, 2013, 04:26:08 AM »
Tomorrow is the release of Afterlife with Archie #1, where Sabrina the a Teenage Witch uses Lovecraft to raise Jughead's dead dog...

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/10/08/sabrina-the-teenage-witch-gets-hp-lovecrafts-necronomicon-for-reals/
[img width=800

Offline Krankor

• Krankor
« Reply #56 on: November 01, 2013, 04:48:47 PM »
Anyone been reading the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles series from IDW? The City Fall story arc by Eastman has been pretty good.

Offline tekcop

• CXF Writer
  • TSM's Finest
« Reply #57 on: November 01, 2013, 05:03:53 PM »
I'm about 6 or so issues behind. It's one of my favorite current titles, though.

Offline Krankor

• Krankor
« Reply #58 on: January 13, 2014, 10:03:57 AM »
My independent reading list has blown up quite a bit.

The Walking Dead: About 4 issues into the All Out War bi-monthly story arc, it has been pretty slow and unexciting so far.
Thief of Thieves: Just started with this series. Plowed through all of it in one evening. Pretty interesting crime series so far. I enjoy the main character, Redmond, always fucking over the detective.
Jupiter's Legacy: It's been on break for awhile since the first arc ended, but holy death scenes was that last issue brutal as hell!
Saga: Still good as hell.
East of West: This series is still building in typical slow, laboring Hickman fashion. I think it'll be best to read in 10 or 12 issues at a time.
Chew: Every issue is still absurd and still funny!
Black Science: Only 2 issues in so far. Extremely bizarre. Hard to describe. A team of scientists are stuck warping to different realities. Issue 2 had some form of Space Native American army killing Germans.

Dark Horse
The Massive: Just got caught up on this in Mid-December. I dig it.
The Star Wars: It's based off of Lucas' original draft. It's halfway done and pretty good so far!

IDW
TMNT Monthly, Villain Micro Series, and Utrom Empire mini-series starting in late January, along with Color Classics V2. It's Turtles, what's not to like!

A couple new 2014 series that I've heard blurbs about so far are Outcast by Kirkman and Wytches by Scott Snyder. Both are horror comics and sound generally interesting. Mark Millar has a series called Starlight coming out sometime in 2014. His stuff is usually solid.

I dropped Red Sonja. For a relaunch, it was absolutely terrible. Gail Simone, eh.

Offline The Real DXP

• daileyxplanet
    • TrevorTwitter
« Reply #59 on: January 13, 2014, 02:01:43 PM »
If you guys have never read Axe Cop you need to. It's pretty much Russo level booking but awesome since it's written by a little boy.

Offline The Metal Maniac

• Oh yeah! I
  • Wow-ee!
« Reply #60 on: March 19, 2014, 02:42:40 PM »
The Walking Dead: About 4 issues into the All Out War bi-monthly story arc, it has been pretty slow and unexciting so far.

I just read issue #123. It didn't stay slow and unexciting. Robert Kirkman is insane.
But that's the way I like it baby
I don't wanna live forever

Offline Krankor

• Krankor
« Reply #61 on: March 23, 2014, 06:21:36 AM »
All Out Bore.

Spoiler: show
The arrow that shot Rick won't end up being a 'dirty' arrow. It was shot by the dude that's supposed to be turning heel on Negan. Why the dude hasn't just shot Negan in the back of the skull, is beyond me.

I'm still finding the arc to be boring and too long winded. Just kill whoever is going to get killed, ruin the civilizations that has been established, and move on already.

Offline The Metal Maniac

• Oh yeah! I
  • Wow-ee!
« Reply #62 on: March 25, 2014, 04:48:59 AM »
Dirty arrow or not, that's a kill shot. Straight through the guts in the middle of a battle? Kirkman himself has said that next issue we learn Rick's "final fate".

Also, pretty sure Dwight's actual plan is for this war to claim the lives of most, if not all, of the leaders of the various factions so that, when the dust settles, he can "remind" everyone that he was "helping" Rick and co the whole time, an then step into a leadership role.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess. I'm loving this arc, but it helps that Negan is my favorite character at the moment.

Offline cobainwasmurdered

• Minister Of War
  • Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #63 on: March 25, 2014, 11:04:46 AM »
I don't know if spoilers were broken when that was quoted or what but I fixed those for ya....or close enough until you fix them better.

Offline The Metal Maniac

• Oh yeah! I
  • Wow-ee!
« Reply #64 on: March 26, 2014, 04:01:57 AM »
Dirty arrow or not, that's a kill shot. Straight through the guts in the middle of a battle? Kirkman himself has said that next issue we learn Rick's "final fate".

Also, pretty sure Dwight's actual plan is for this war to claim the lives of most, if not all, of the leaders of the various factions so that, when the dust settles, he can "remind" everyone that he was "helping" Rick and co the whole time, an then step into a leadership role.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess. I'm loving this arc, but it helps that Negan is my favorite character at the moment.

Also: Shit, sorry about fucking up the tags; I hate reading spoilers accidentally, and I hope I didn't fuck anyone over.

Offline Edwin

• Smash and bang is my favorite combination
« Reply #65 on: March 26, 2014, 04:09:17 AM »

Also: Shit, sorry about fucking up the tags; I hate reading spoilers accidentally, and I hope I didn't fuck anyone over.
I stopped keeping up with TWD a few years ago, but the art has never been trustworthy.  Carl getting his face blown in half in a two-page spread turned into "oh he just got shot in the eye and he's totally fine" within two issues.

Offline The Metal Maniac

• Oh yeah! I
  • Wow-ee!
« Reply #66 on: March 26, 2014, 12:24:54 PM »

I stopped keeping up with TWD a few years ago, but the art has never been trustworthy.  Carl getting his face blown in half in a two-page spread turned into "oh he just got shot in the eye and he's totally fine" within two issues.

Fair point.

Also, I will admit the most recent issue has
made me look like a fool. Damn Kirkman.

Offline Krankor

• Krankor
« Reply #67 on: April 26, 2014, 09:46:20 AM »
How about that finish to All Out War? Eesh. It started getting exciting the issue prior to the last issue. What a complete dud of a wrap up.

Offline The Metal Maniac

• Oh yeah! I
  • Wow-ee!
« Reply #68 on: April 26, 2014, 06:31:04 PM »
Agreed. Shame, because, like you said, the previous issue seemed pretty decent, but that petered out quick.

I did think the
leg break
was pretty gruesome, but even that had little effect by the end, it seemed.

Offline tekcop

• CXF Writer
  • TSM's Finest
« Reply #69 on: April 29, 2014, 08:35:59 AM »
Can't go wrong here: https://www.humblebundle.com/

Is this the first non-game Humble Bundle? I already have everything on that list but East from West and Lazarus, otherwise I'd be all over it.

Offline CletusVanDamme

• BlackFlagg
« Reply #70 on: April 30, 2014, 05:10:35 AM »
Can't go wrong here: https://www.humblebundle.com/

Is this the first non-game Humble Bundle? I already have everything on that list but East from West and Lazarus, otherwise I'd be all over it.

Nah, there have been a few e-book ones and I think an indie movie one as well.

Offline CletusVanDamme

• BlackFlagg
« Reply #71 on: May 16, 2014, 08:46:41 AM »
Looks like they made a new books category for humble bundle and up now is a bunch of Doctor Who comics https://www.humblebundle.com/books

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
[img width=800

• Minister Of War
  • Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #73 on: February 03, 2015, 01:17:23 PM »
So I've been doing a massive amount of reading from mostly Image comics but a bit from the others and I thought I'd mention them because they deserve the attention:

Trees by Warren Ellis

Buncha weird ass alien spacecraft landed all over the world 10 years ago and did...nothing. This series is all about how people all over the world go about their lives in the shadow of these things knowing that there is life out there and it doesn't even acknowledge us as intelligent. I'm 8 issues in and it's getting pretty interesting.

Rat Queens by Kurtis J. Wiebe

"A pack of booze-guzzling, death-dealing battle maidens-for-hire, and they're in the business of killing all god's creatures for profit. " Lots of comedy, I tried this after some one of my female friends who reads comics (they exist!) kept going on about how great it is. I don't like it as much as she does (It's obviously more aimed at her demo) but it's still a fun little series.

Southern Bastards by Jason Aaron

Old badass goes to clear up his  dad's shit in the deep south hellhole he left decades ago and never came back to only to find the town has gotten even worse and is run by a crazy high school football coach. Some good character stuff mixed with humor and a whole lot of rednecks.

Starlight by Mark Millar

Decades ago he was swept away to another planet where he became a epic hero, when he came back no one believed him including his family. Now an old man he's called back to rescue that planet from a tyrant and recapture his past glory. Really good little series, one of the best of these. A nice spin on the old sci-fi style.

The Fuse by Antony Johnston

Cops on a space station! It's been done plenty of times but both the attention to the actual universe and characters and the process of working the case make this a cut above the majority. Another of my favourites.

Lazarus by Greg Rucka

Big business has taken over the world and are basically an oligarchy. If you aren't one of the very few who are of use to them you are Waste and have no rights. Each of the ruling families has one family member that they train from birth and load up with expensive tech to be as close to unkillable as possible to be their enforcer/assassin/etc as possible known as...yep Lazaruses (Lazarui? they're a group/thing really?) The world is pretty interesting and while it can be more than a little goofy it is also pretty fun and I look forward to seeing where it goes.

The United States of Murder Inc. by Brian Michael Bendis

An alternate world where the mob not only are still a real power throughout the US but actually directly control a large section of it. Only a few issues in and it has potential to be pretty good but I'm not 100% sold. I dig a lot of the ideas.

Jupiter's Legacy by Mark Millar

The first generation of super heroes saved America from the great depression but when their children come of age...they're fucked up basically. Also the economy has once more gone to hell and tensions mount in the family. Millar once again takes old stories and puts a twist on them and the results are fantastic. Read these comics.

The Life After by Joshua Hale Fialkov

A guy realizes he's in a purgatory for suicides and his companions are a dog and Ernest Hemingway. Then shit gets weird. Lot of interesting ideas in this but yeah some of it is pretty weird.

The Wicked + Divine by Kieron Gillen

Every 90 years 12 gods incarnate and live for 2 years after manifesting their abilities. Another really good series. Lots of snark and an interesting idea.

Offline The Metal Maniac

• Oh yeah! I
  • Wow-ee!
« Reply #74 on: February 03, 2015, 01:24:11 PM »
Starlight and Trees look interesting to me...how many issues do they have printed, do you know? I prefer to jump in when there's a decent amount of issues.

• Minister Of War
  • Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #75 on: February 03, 2015, 01:51:11 PM »
Starlight is finished and Trees has at least 8 out.

Offline Mr. S£im Citrus

• Representing Blacks Without Soul since 1975
« Reply #76 on: February 03, 2015, 02:15:01 PM »
I haven't really kept up with comics in several years: is Erik Larsen still writing Savage Dragon?

Offline tekcop

• CXF Writer
  • TSM's Finest
« Reply #77 on: February 03, 2015, 02:23:35 PM »
Yes. Dragon retired but still has side stories. His son Malcom took over as the book's main protagonist.

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #78 on: March 19, 2015, 03:25:22 PM »
Major spoiler on why the new Ninja Turtles book is hot right now:

They kill Donatello

[img width=800

Offline The Metal Maniac

• Oh yeah! I
  • Wow-ee!
« Reply #79 on: March 25, 2015, 05:42:24 AM »
Invincible #118 is on a sale for a quarter.

A goddamned QUARTER.

25 cents to get an issue of the greatest comic book ever written? Fuck yes. This will be the first individual issue of anything I've bought in a long time.

• Minister Of War
  • Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #80 on: April 11, 2015, 04:31:55 PM »
Some more good stuff I've read in the last few months:

Invincible by Robert Kirkman

It's one of the best comics out there and doesn't get enough love. Kirkman made a truly great hero and universe and it continues to be a stand-out every year. Read this.

Black Science by Rick Remender

Scientists punch a hole through into the multiverse. So like Sliders but even nuttier.

Deadly Class by Rick Remender

Assassin school in the 80's for teens with the kind of sillly fuckedupedness you'd expect.

East of West by Jonathon Hickman

So there's a post-apocalyptic future with the 4 horsemen running around and the native Americans have super advanced tech, and the Chinese have conquered the west coast and have robot suits and shit and uh... Yeah this one is crazy and a ton of fun.

Saga by Brian K. Vaughn

This is the new hot shit in comics and it deserves the label. Lovers from opposing sides in a galactic war get together and have a kid and everyone is out to get them. Amazing sense of humor, great action, beautiful art and great pacing and storytelling this basically has it all.

Thief of Thieves by Robert Kirkman

The world's greatest thief deals with everything that comes with that as well as his fucked up family life and the FBI's attempts to close in on him. Awesome twists and turns make for one of the best crime books I've read.

Offline tekcop

• CXF Writer
  • TSM's Finest
« Reply #81 on: April 14, 2015, 01:48:08 PM »

Offline The Metal Maniac

• Oh yeah! I
  • Wow-ee!
« Reply #82 on: April 15, 2015, 06:51:38 AM »
Is that a real crossover?

I know it sounds like a dumb question, but this existed:

So it's possible.

Offline tekcop

• CXF Writer
  • TSM's Finest
« Reply #83 on: April 15, 2015, 07:05:05 AM »
Yeah. http://www.darkhorse.com/Comics/27-991/Archie-vs-Predator-1

Archie's cool now or something. I think. Isn't Mark Waid supposed to have a run at the characters soon? Or maybe he's already started. Either way, I'm going to be reading Archie in 2015.

Offline The Metal Maniac

• Oh yeah! I
  • Wow-ee!
« Reply #84 on: July 08, 2015, 05:42:18 AM »
So, Invincible is being "rebooted".

In quotes because that's what they said was gonna happen, but it's KIRKMAN. He did a story called The Death of Everyone and didn't kill anybody (important). 

Looks like Mark is going back in time to issue 1, but with knowledge of everything that's happened. Could be interesting.

Offline tekcop

• CXF Writer
  • TSM's Finest

Offline L'AZentat

• Freie Kultur Kreuzfeuer
  • HURRAY YANKEE BLUE JEANS
« Reply #86 on: January 11, 2016, 06:03:11 AM »
Going over the story arc of IDW's Ghostbusters ongoing series...it's basically what the third movie should have been. New teams being formed, rival companies, turning it from a private business into something government-affiliated...now, if only the art wasn't so damn goofy looking.
Maybe the real deep state was the friends we made along the way.

• Minister Of War
  • Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #87 on: February 02, 2016, 08:53:45 PM »
So, Invincible is being "rebooted".

In quotes because that's what they said was gonna happen, but it's KIRKMAN. He did a story called The Death of Everyone and didn't kill anybody (important). 

Looks like Mark is going back in time to issue 1, but with knowledge of everything that's happened. Could be interesting.

Already talked to MM about this but HOLY FUCKING SHIT this storyline. Invincible man...Every time it surprises me. Best fucking comic out there. Just amazing.

Also catching up (or trying to) on Black Science, Morning Glories, Lazarus, and some other non big 2 lately.

Offline The Metal Maniac

• Oh yeah! I
  • Wow-ee!
« Reply #88 on: February 03, 2016, 09:04:24 AM »
And now they're gone until fucking April.

And when it comes back, they're having Corey Walker do the art again for a few issues. *sigh*

I mean, props to Walker for helping Kirkman design the characters and everything, but his art fucking sucks in comparison to Ryan Ottley's.

• Minister Of War
  • Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #89 on: February 11, 2016, 10:14:16 AM »
So after checking out cbr's top 100 for last year I got into a few things like Ragnorak (undead Thor comes back after the Gods lose and starts fucking shit up basically) and especially Kaijumax, a prison island full of monsters:

Tons of fun ideas and seeing the monsters act the roles can be hilarious.

Offline Mr. S£im Citrus

• Representing Blacks Without Soul since 1975
« Reply #90 on: July 02, 2016, 01:54:19 PM »
In interviews, Liefeld has explained that Youngblood was based partially on his 1991 plan for a new Teen Titans series for DC Comics, possibly titled "Teen Titans", to be co-written with Marv Wolfman. Wolfman has denied, on numerous occasions, any involvement with Liefeld on any project. Liefeld and managing editor Dick Giordano "couldn't make the numbers work," however, and Liefeld shifted his Teen Titans ideas into a new creator-owned project: Youngblood. It was published by the newly founded Image Comics. According to Liefeld: "Shaft was intended to be Speedy. Vogue was a new Harlequin design, Combat was a Kh'undian warrior circa the Legion of Super-Heroes, ditto for Photon and Die Hard was a Star Labs android. I forgot who Chapel was supposed to be, but I'm sure it would have rocked".

Youngblood was based on Liefeld's idea that if superheroes really did exist, they would be treated much the same way as movie stars and athletes. Throughout the series, there are numerous references to endorsement deals, TV show appearances, agents, managers and the perceived pressures of celebrity life.

Taken from the Youngblood wiki entry. I'm posting this here in response to a request in the chat room. I'm mostly interested in the second paragraph. Are there many people who agree with that perspective of superheroes, and how they'd be received IRL?

Offline Great Patriot Hostage

• BZ
  • BZ
« Reply #91 on: July 02, 2016, 01:57:14 PM »
Absolutely

Offline The Metal Maniac

• Oh yeah! I
  • Wow-ee!
« Reply #92 on: July 03, 2016, 04:02:28 AM »
If we assume they're the kind of heroes who don't cause shit and only do what's right (total boy scout types), then sure. Once you start getting into anti-heroes I think that would change things.

• Minister Of War
  • Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #93 on: July 03, 2016, 08:57:08 AM »
Depends on their power sets and appearance. We don't want no uggos or people with godlike powers. I think we'd turn on anyone with super abilities pretty fast and try to exterminate/experiment/etc them. We're kind of dicks when we're scared.

Offline Chainsaw 🦇 & Tyrano Shark

• CXF Writer
  • Chainsaw Batman & Tyrano Shark
« Reply #94 on: July 03, 2016, 09:35:59 AM »
Depends on their power sets and appearance. We don't want no uggos or people with godlike powers. I think we'd turn on anyone with super abilities pretty fast and try to exterminate/experiment/etc them. We're kind of dicks when we're scared.

A great series talking about this very idea is The Wicked + The Divine

• Minister Of War
  • Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #95 on: July 03, 2016, 09:40:28 AM »
Yeah I like that series.

Offline L'AZentat

• Freie Kultur Kreuzfeuer
  • HURRAY YANKEE BLUE JEANS
« Reply #96 on: July 05, 2016, 04:31:49 AM »
Hell, Mystery Men did it with Captain Amazing. The idea is rich enough to be developed but so few have actually done it.
Maybe the real deep state was the friends we made along the way.

• Minister Of War
  • Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #97 on: October 08, 2016, 06:19:17 AM »
http://culturecrossfire.com/etc/comics/5-great-image-comics/

BAH GAWD! I finally got off my ass and wrote.

Offline The Paper Industry

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • Your POV
« Reply #98 on: October 22, 2016, 08:17:29 AM »
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/marvel-teases-x-men-comic-940415

Of the five titles named, three are revivals (Weapon X, Generation X and Cable), while both Jean Grey and Iceman will be receiving their first ongoing monthly solo series. Not teased as yet is the new status of the X-Men groups; as part of the fall 2015 All-New, All-Different Marvel linewide relaunch, those series were relaunched as Uncanny X-Men, Extraordinary X-Men and All-New X-Men.

Cool cover images in the link.

Offline tekcop

• CXF Writer
  • TSM's Finest