Author Topic: THE WORLD IS A VAMPIRE...SENT TO DRAIN  (Read 4543 times)

Description:

Offline Byron The Bulp

• Byron the bulb
  • Byron the bulb
THE WORLD IS A VAMPIRE...SENT TO DRAIN
« on: July 15, 2011, 11:30:23 AM »

So this song came on the radio when I was driving home from the gym and I'll be damned if I didn't crank the volume up as loud as it would go and experience something akin to genuine catharsis. I also realized that Radiohead totally jacked the drum-sound for "There There" from here. But so anyway, I have now decided to make this thread, where we can talk about the Smashing Pumpkins. It's easy to look back and laugh at Billy Corgan's overblown angst, but damn if that dude didn't at one time know how to make a damn song. And he could make that angst work.

Smashing Pumpkins-Disarm

"THE KILLER IN ME IS THE KILLER IN YOU" should be the most laughable lyric in history. But somehow it isn't! Incredible.

Can we all now agree that this was the actual best band to come out of the whole 90s alt-rock boom? Or at least the best one to actually get popular? (sorry, Pavement).

Offline Tigger

• Dressup
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2011, 11:34:20 AM »
No. We will never all agree on any statement of the sort because music is subjective.

Offline Tigger

• Dressup
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011, 11:34:40 AM »
I do enjoy them though.

Offline Byron The Bulp

• Byron the bulb
  • Byron the bulb
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2011, 11:35:34 AM »
No. We will never all agree on any statement of the sort because music is subjective.

Well, that's not true. But regardless, subjectivity doesn't necessarily mean disagreement.

Offline GAYGENT OF OBLIVION

• Go Gators
  • Faded as fuck
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2011, 11:39:35 AM »
Cherub Rock is a good riff.

Offline Tigger

• Dressup
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2011, 11:41:01 AM »
I don't understand how you can set a bar on what is or isn't good music. Do you measure off technical skill? I think some people had this argument somewhere, maybe just link me to it and I won't have to repeat things. I think Our Lady Peace is a better band.

Maybe I don't think they're better, maybe I just listened to them more. I really don't know what I'm talking about. I'm the type when it comes to music who just likes what he likes.

• KOAB
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2011, 11:51:09 AM »
Great band. Though only thing that disturbs me is Billy Corgan's obsession with wrestling. 

Offline Gary

• "I'll just get my gear."
  • CXF Writer
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2011, 11:52:58 AM »
Great band. Though only thing that disturbs me is Billy Corgan's obsession with wrestling. 
Corgan's pretty crazy actually.

I AM THE CHEESE! I AM THE BEST CHARACTER ON THE SHOW!! I AM BETTER THAN BOTH THE SALAMI AND THE BOLOGNA COMBINED!!

someone on here just called me a "Cunk" because my wife wont let me buy a harp.

Offline JHawk

• Jim Cornette Guy
  • CXF Writer
  • Thank You, Fuck You, Bye!
    • Smart Mark Radio
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2011, 11:56:29 AM »
He did the GLOW theme song, and he actually seems PROUD of it.  That's crazy

• KOAB
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2011, 11:58:30 AM »
His encyclopedia like knowledge of it is creepy. Dude is actually the most sketchy front man imo of all those bands that came out in that era. Just so many "wtf" quirks to his personality that legit weird me out.

Offline Dad Rock

• Alfie
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2011, 11:58:44 AM »
Losing it to that JHawk post. Yeah, I like most of this band's big singles. 'Cherub Rock' is quite the tasty little number.
met this fat girl (not a huge whale or anything but like 25-26 BMI) at a club in like,,, 2008....shes cool, not my type but giant hooters....we start drinkin gettin real faded, and she takes me out to her car to smoke some dro.....im high as fuck and point blank shes just like "hey man i am down to blow you........" im like whatever and we try but my dick wasnt workin cuz i was so faded and this fuckin weed she had was like....fuck i just couldnt get my head in the game..but im rico suave and i get her digits and she texts me her address the next day and says "come over to get ur cock sucked and blow a load in my perm"

so i roll up and her roommate answers the door, i ask if her roomies around and she says "oh....she DIED TEN YEARS AGO THIS VERY DAY...."

Offline Gary

• CXF Writer
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2011, 12:00:39 PM »
"Melancholy and Infinite Sadness" remains one of my favorite albums of the 90's. Also, "1979" is one of the best pop songs from the 90's.

I AM THE CHEESE! I AM THE BEST CHARACTER ON THE SHOW!! I AM BETTER THAN BOTH THE SALAMI AND THE BOLOGNA COMBINED!!

Offline Gary

• CXF Writer
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2011, 12:04:13 PM »
He did the GLOW theme song, and he actually seems PROUD of it.  That's crazy
I meant that he believes in chemtrails/is anti-vaccine/believes global warming is bullshit.

Offline The ghost of bps21

• Wade the Duck says: Your brush with Greatness is OVER!
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2011, 12:08:29 PM »
I saw them in concert in...I want to say 96 with Garbage opening.  They played Tonight, Tonight as a faster more hard rock song and it was really really awesome.

Offline wnyxmcneal

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2011, 12:12:15 PM »
Love the Smashing Pumpkins. One of my favourite bands.

Offline GAYGENT OF OBLIVION

• Go Gators
  • Faded as fuck
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2011, 12:14:03 PM »
I saw them in concert in...I want to say 96 with Garbage opening.  They played Tonight, Tonight as a faster more hard rock song and it was really really awesome.

I took one of my first girlfriends to this tour. God, what an embarrassing thread.

Offline Czech

• Boardrunner Emeritus
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2011, 12:16:00 PM »
"THE KILLER IN ME IS THE KILLER IN YOU" should be the most laughable lyric in history. But somehow it isn't! Incredible.
No, it really is. At least top 10.

Offline Juggalo Cop

• Kreese
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2011, 04:37:52 PM »
I don't really see it is that ridiculous a lyric.  If Layne Staley or James Hetfield had sung it, nobody would bat an eye at it.  I think lyrics just sound a lot sillier in Billy Corgan's whiny cunt voice.  I still think "Disarm" is a great song, as past it, "Tonight, Tonight" and "1979," I'm not much of a fan.  The Batman & Robin song was OK.

I remember seeing the "Ava Adore" video and thinking "ugh, this band is done."  And they were!  Remember when every 90s band thought they had to add electronic elements to stay relevant?  Mainstream rock never recovered.

Offline God King Emperor Kamala

• CXF Writer
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2011, 05:10:14 PM »
Does the overwhelming embarrassment of the last thirteen years of his career cancel out whatever goodwill he built up from 1991 to 1997 or so? I say yes...I mean do you remember Zwan?

Offline Jaxxxson Mayhem

• If I told you cocaine numbers you would think I was lyin'
  • WWWYKI
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2011, 05:17:18 PM »
I don't really see it is that ridiculous a lyric.  If Layne Staley or James Hetfield had sung it, nobody would bat an eye at it.  I think lyrics just sound a lot sillier in Billy Corgan's whiny cunt voice.  I still think "Disarm" is a great song, as past it, "Tonight, Tonight" and "1979," I'm not much of a fan.  The Batman & Robin song was OK.

I remember seeing the "Ava Adore" video and thinking "ugh, this band is done."  And they were!  Remember when every 90s band thought they had to add electronic elements to stay relevant?  Mainstream rock never recovered.

Ava Adore is awesome.

Offline Byron The Bulp

• Byron the bulb
  • Byron the bulb
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2011, 05:20:05 PM »
...I mean do you remember Zwan?

I try not to

Offline Byron The Bulp

• Byron the bulb
  • Byron the bulb
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2011, 05:23:17 PM »
No, it really is. At least top 10.

Yeah, ok, so maybe it is. But Still! That song! That fucking song! That shit makes me scrunch my face up all like, "this is the greatest thing ever." Bands today don't know how to do that.

• CXF Writer
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2011, 05:24:37 PM »
I'm punishing myself by watching the "Honesty" video for the first time since it was being played on MTV2 and Billy Corgan and maybe the chick bass player are the only ones who don't look deeply embarrassed to be there. It's like they already know they're going to virulently hate each other in ten years for making such shitty music!

Offline Byron The Bulp

• Byron the bulb
  • Byron the bulb
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2011, 05:25:51 PM »
I'm listening to "Disarm" right now and I actually literally just pounded my desk in concert with its drums. I dunno if there's a song that's been made in the last ten years that could produce the same reaction. RIP the 90s.

• CXF Writer
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2011, 05:28:15 PM »
Why was there a sudden rash of really shitty super groups made up of members of '90s alternative bands during Bush Jr's first term? Did they all collectively and belatedly realize that "Hey! That Dave Grohl is really doing well for himself with the Foo Fighters. Maybe we should give it another go with another lead singer!"?

Offline Byron The Bulp

• Byron the bulb
  • Byron the bulb
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2011, 05:32:14 PM »
Why was there a sudden rash of really shitty super groups made up of members of '90s alternative bands during Bush Jr's first term? Did they all collectively and belatedly realize that "Hey! That Dave Grohl is really doing well for himself with the Foo Fighters. Maybe we should give it another go with another lead singer!"?

I dunno, but, if nothing else, at least it gave us this

which is more than the Obama administration has given us

• CXF Writer
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2011, 05:35:56 PM »
I'll probably get shit for this but I thought Audioslave got a bit of a bad rap. Sure, they were a massive disappointment (Rage with a guy who can actually sing!) but they weren't Velvet Revolver or Zwan!

Offline The ghost of bps21

• Wade the Duck says: Your brush with Greatness is OVER!
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2011, 05:41:11 PM »
I much prefer the slower version of the batman and robin song that they used for the Watchmen trailer.  I can't remember which one is named which...just that the slower one I like better.

Offline Epic Reine

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2011, 05:43:22 PM »

Offline Juggalo Cop

• Kreese
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2011, 05:50:42 PM »

Offline Wizard of Maz

« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2011, 06:09:07 PM »
I remember when "Infinite Sadness" got stuck in my CD player in my car so it was nearly always playing for a couple of weeks, and the crazy Mexican chubby girl that hung out with my group of friends thought I was suicidal and called for an intervention on my behalf. My friends just pointed at her and laughed.

I always had a soft spot for Where Boys Fear to Tread.

Offline Wario Lemieux

« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2011, 08:10:29 PM »
"Where Boys Fear To Tread" is a cool song, but as far as Pumpkins alt-rock dirges go I prefer "Zero".

Offline Beer Baron

• I have a new hat.
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2011, 11:52:28 PM »
Geek USA is a great song and showcases how talented Jimmy Chamberlin on the drums.

Offline Squad Goals

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • Your POV
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2011, 05:20:04 AM »
Siamese Dream is awesome, one of the best alternative albums of the era. Mellon Collie shows signs of greatness, I love the production, but too much filler. Take out like half of the tracks and make it a single album and it's pretty awesome. Adore is also much better than it gets credit for, I haven't heard it in awhile but I remember liking it a lot.

It's impressive that they were able to make three good to great albums in a row, with all of them harnessing a completely different style and sound. That's what alternative was originally about, being alternative and different (as opposed to every nu-metal band raping the same style that Nirvana made famous, thereby killing a genre dead). Good band.

• KOAB
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2011, 05:33:02 AM »

Offline Beer Baron

• I have a new hat.
« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2011, 06:34:43 AM »
I remember Edwin stating that Adore was his favourite Pumpkins album.

Offline Incandenza

« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2011, 01:42:11 AM »
Zwan gets a pass from me solely for providing temporary employment to Matt Sweeney and David Pajo.

Offline Incandenza

« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2011, 07:06:08 AM »
The AV Club was one of the sites I was thinking of when I made my "It's time to shut down the Internet" thread.

Offline Czech

• Boardrunner Emeritus
« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2011, 08:50:30 AM »
Last week, our longtime alternative station, Q101, was sold to new ownership which is now in the process of flipping the station to a news format, certainly a waste of a perfectly good FM signal. (In response, CBS flipped its mom-rock station to a simulcast of their AM news station, so we actually lost two music stations.) Anyway, the last song they played as an alternative station was "Tonight, Tonight," and damned if it didn't get me a little choked up. I was never a huge Q101 fan in the mid-'90s, the zenith of both the station and the Pumpkins, but I'd listen now and then as a change of pace. And so here's this song about being young and stuff, and I guess I thought about all the people a few years older than I who really did grow up with the station and the Smashing Pumpkins and 1990s alternative music in general, and how they're all getting old, and how their sort of suburban existence has changed since then, and radio's changing, and the world spins madly on, and so on, so forth. Admittedly, the station was in decline before the sale, being programmed out of the parent offices in St. Louis, the mere principle of which is just in so many ways fucked, but in staying true to Soundgarden and the Pumpkins and Bush and Oasis and all those bands, it was still one of the last vestiges of what just seems like a better time to be alive than today is. At least it was a powerful way to go out.

"Disarm" still has a hysterically awful chorus, though.

Offline Squad Goals

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • Your POV
« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2011, 08:53:43 AM »
Last week, our longtime alternative station, Q101, was sold to new ownership which is now in the process of flipping the station to a news format, certainly a waste of a perfectly good FM signal. (In response, CBS flipped its mom-rock station to a simulcast of their AM news station, so we actually lost two music stations.) Anyway, the last song they played as an alternative station was "Tonight, Tonight," and damned if it didn't get me a little choked up. I was never a huge Q101 fan in the mid-'90s, the zenith of both the station and the Pumpkins, but I'd listen now and then as a change of pace. And so here's this song about being young and stuff, and I guess I thought about all the people a few years older than I who really did grow up with the station and the Smashing Pumpkins and 1990s alternative music in general, and how they're all getting old, and how their sort of suburban existence has changed since then, and radio's changing, and the world spins madly on, and so on, so forth. Admittedly, the station was in decline before the sale, being programmed out of the parent offices in St. Louis, the mere principle of which is just in so many ways fucked, but in staying true to Soundgarden and the Pumpkins and Bush and Oasis and all those bands, it was still one of the last vestiges of what just seems like a better time to be alive than today is. At least it was a powerful way to go out.

Beautiful.

Still, I don't know if the mid-nineties was a better period than today, that might just be nostalgia/Kamala talking.

Offline Czech

• Boardrunner Emeritus
« Reply #41 on: July 20, 2011, 08:56:16 AM »
We're fighting three pointless wars, gas is $4 a gallon, and our government is giving serious consideration to defaulting on debt. Stealing music is the only thing that keeps me going sometimes.

Offline Incandenza

« Reply #42 on: July 20, 2011, 09:06:32 AM »
Thanks to my gym’s lately keeping it on the 90s satellite feed, I find I appreciate a lot of stuff now that I couldn’t stand back when I was still in my Reject All Mainstream Music phase. I then wonder if the hits of the 00s will be up for a similar reevaluation, but then my question is answered when the channel changes to the corresponding 00s station and boy, it turns out the 90s really were the last good time for commercial rock radio.

Offline Juggalo Cop

• Kreese
« Reply #43 on: July 20, 2011, 09:28:59 AM »
I wanted to see what the #1 modern rock songs of 2010 were, so I looked it up on Wikipedia to find that Billboard doesn't have a Modern Rock tracks chart anymore, it's called Top Alternative Songs.  But it pretty much serves the same purpose as the modern rock charts, I guess.  Anyway, I found out that this was number one for 11 weeks last year on that chart.  God Damn America.

Offline Juggalo Cop

• Kreese
« Reply #44 on: July 20, 2011, 12:14:28 PM »
I want to know what's so bad about the chorus of "Disarm" relative to most other 90s rock hits.

Offline C Dubya 09

« Reply #45 on: July 20, 2011, 01:20:36 PM »
Well, it is certainly no more terrible than "Machine Head".

Offline Edwin

• Smash and bang is my favorite combination
« Reply #46 on: July 20, 2011, 02:31:06 PM »
I remember Edwin stating that Adore was his favourite Pumpkins album.
It totally was!  I think I've gone back to Siamese Dream more over the years, but I have a much deeper attachment to Adore, which I bought the day my grandmother died and credit as one of the first "whoa, this is weird" albums I ever owned. 

It's rare that I actually put on a Smashing Pumpkins album--it has to have been at least 4 years since I've done so--but I'm always incredibly pleased when I hear one of their songs.  When I was 16 and freshly minted with a driver's license, it was them, Rage, and Tool on heavy rotation.  I had a trunk-mounted 6-CD player, and it was thus a huge pain in the ass to change out the albums, and so Pumpkins albums tended to just stay in there for 3 or 4 months at a time.  Against that company, they, in hindsight, seem the least silly.

Offline Byron The Bulp

• Byron the bulb
  • Byron the bulb
« Reply #47 on: July 20, 2011, 02:38:41 PM »
I want to know what's so bad about the chorus of "Disarm" relative to most other 90s rock hits.

I can kinda see where Czech is coming from, but it's really not even the most cringe-inducing lyric Corgan wrote in the 90s. That honor has to belong to Zero's epic "Emptiness is loneliness, and loneliness is cleanliness/And cleanliness is Godliness, and God is empty just like me" sequence.

Offline Juggalo Cop

• Kreese
« Reply #48 on: July 20, 2011, 02:54:41 PM »
You guys must only know like four Pumpkins songs.  "Disarm" and "Zero" have nothing on

Boredoms in the bathroom shaking out the loose teeth
Sally's in the stirrups claiming her destiny
And nobody nowhere understands anything
About me and all my dreams
Lost at sea
Jack it up judy set your heart alight
Mayfair mistress of the satellites
Misspent youth- faking up a rampage
To hold off the real slaves
Paid off and staid
And what you never knew
Can never get to you
So fake it
I'll be your stumbleine
I'll be your super queen
And make you
Jukebox fuckup hanging round the drugstore
No matter what you say he'll be back for more
Mommy's in the manger with the little kids
She's got her reasons, got my forgets
Of tears and idle threats
Misplaced
And no matter what they do
They can't get to you
So fake it
I'll be your stumbleine
I'll be your super queen
And make you me
Come around ruby I could never sleep alone

• CXF Writer
« Reply #49 on: July 20, 2011, 02:56:13 PM »
Question for BUTT/SJK: Which has more credibility new Smashing Pumpkins or new GNR?