Author Topic: THE WORLD IS A VAMPIRE...SENT TO DRAIN  (Read 4542 times)

Description:

Offline Juggalo Cop

• Kreese
THE WORLD IS A VAMPIRE...SENT TO DRAIN
« Reply #50 on: July 20, 2011, 03:10:05 PM »
That's a tough call.  The existence of the new SP are a bit harder to take for me because Corgan broke up SP, then "reformed" the band with Jimmy Chamberlin who was already in Zwan and a couple of ringers, so how are they any more the Smashing Pumpkins than Zwan was?  It reminds me of when Skid Row dumped Sebastian Bach and then got a new singer and started a new band called Ozone Monday, and then they just started calling themselves Skid Row so that more people would come to their shows.  At least with GNR, there was no official breakup, they just replaced almost all the members over a seven-year period of inactivity.  But then, you could say that GNR was a lot more of a group effort than SP and that the loss of D'Arcy and Iha was a lot less damaging than the loss of Slash and Duff.  So I don't know.  Neither one should really use that name, but that's the difference because headlining festivals and playing clubs.  

In conclusion: Don't talk about Guns N' Roses on this board.

Offline Czech

• Boardrunner Emeritus
« Reply #51 on: July 20, 2011, 04:02:46 PM »
I want to know what's so bad about the chorus of "Disarm" relative to most other 90s rock hits.

I can kinda see where Czech is coming from, but it's really not even the most cringe-inducing lyric Corgan wrote in the 90s. That honor has to belong to Zero's epic "Emptiness is loneliness, and loneliness is cleanliness/And cleanliness is Godliness, and God is empty just like me" sequence.
Oh, that's a terrible one. The amazing riff kinda lets me forget about it. Kinda. I think what pushes "the killer in me is the killer in you" is the overwrought arrangement going on (timpani rolls, tubular bells!) and Corgan's strangled, nasal bleat, which always got in the way of me liking the Pumpkins beyond, like Kreese said, about four or five songs.

I could've posted this in the "posts that make you laugh in real life" thread, but it's just as applicable here: the time Inc posted a diagram of reverse cowgirl and said it was the lesser two Smashing Pumpkins cracked me up and still cracks me up to this day every time I think of the Smashing Pumpkins, reverse cowgirl, or Asians.

EDIT: That was Kinetic!  How embarrassing!

EDIT2: Technically I guess I'd score it Kinetic on the assist from Inc.
http://forums.thesmartmarks.com/index.php?showtopic=88373

Offline Squad Goals

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • Your POV
« Reply #52 on: July 20, 2011, 11:56:25 PM »
I give Billy Corgan a pass because as far as bloated, vain, self-important mid-nineties rock stars go he's practically understated next to this BROKEN LINK but I was talking about Marilyn Manson.

Offline Byron The Bulp

• Byron the bulb
  • Byron the bulb
« Reply #53 on: July 21, 2011, 02:15:33 AM »
I think what pushes "the killer in me is the killer in you" is the overwrought arrangement going on (timpani rolls, tubular bells!) and Corgan's strangled, nasal bleat, which always got in the way of me liking the Pumpkins beyond, like Kreese said, about four or five songs.

You know, now that I think about it, I'm not sure "the killer in me is the killer in you" is even the worst part of that chorus. The strangled yelping of "I USED TO BE A LITTLE BOY" may surpass it in pound for pound over-wroughtness.

Offline "Dot Com" Matt Postin (heel)

• Poster of the Year
« Reply #54 on: July 21, 2011, 02:16:59 AM »
That's what he's singing at that part? Ecch.

Offline Byron The Bulp

• Byron the bulb
  • Byron the bulb
« Reply #55 on: July 21, 2011, 02:17:30 AM »

This is a really disappointing cover. Billy tries way too hard to make his vocals sound "gentle." He should have gone full on wail. If there was ever a song that demanded the full-on 'Mellon Collie' treatment, it's this one.

Offline "Dot Com" Matt Postin (heel)

• Poster of the Year
« Reply #56 on: July 21, 2011, 02:19:27 AM »
If there was a way to get some Dave Matthews into this thread, we'd just about have the complete set of shit I had to listen to when I was riding in someone else's car in high school.

Offline Poptones

« Reply #57 on: July 21, 2011, 03:34:13 AM »
You really think Zero has an amazing riff, Czech?  It sounds like the same boring descending chords used in every 90s alt-rock song as an angsty ennui signifier.  I think that song is pretty much shit through and through.

Cherub Rock and that one song from Siamese Dream where the chorus goes "I'M ALL BYYYYY MYSELF".  Those are the good ones. 

Offline Squad Goals

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • Your POV
« Reply #58 on: July 21, 2011, 03:39:02 AM »
Soma is my favourite Pumpkins track as well.

Offline Squad Goals

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • Your POV
« Reply #59 on: July 21, 2011, 03:49:42 AM »
I want to know what's so bad about the chorus of "Disarm" relative to most other 90s rock hits.

I can kinda see where Czech is coming from, but it's really not even the most cringe-inducing lyric Corgan wrote in the 90s. That honor has to belong to Zero's epic "Emptiness is loneliness, and loneliness is cleanliness/And cleanliness is Godliness, and God is empty just like me" sequence.
Oh, that's a terrible one. The amazing riff kinda lets me forget about it.

Top comment for a video of the song on YouTube:

Emptiness is loneliness, and loneliness is cleanliness

And cleanliness is godliness, and god is´╗┐ empty just like me

:)
Davkiller69 2 months ago 43

Offline Incandenza

« Reply #60 on: July 21, 2011, 03:59:42 AM »
I'm still strongly against the reverse cowgirl.

Offline Incandenza

« Reply #61 on: July 21, 2011, 04:00:01 AM »
Cool post to have at the top of page.

Offline GAYGENT OF OBLIVION

• Go Gators
  • Faded as fuck
« Reply #62 on: July 21, 2011, 04:25:21 AM »
Geek USA is a damn good track, too. I like that downtuned stoner distortion.

Offline Poptones

« Reply #63 on: July 21, 2011, 05:22:18 AM »
I like Siamese Dream well enough, but the whole thing except for maybe five songs blurs together to me.  I remember the sound and the atmosphere much more vividly than any individual songs.

Offline Dad Rock

• Alfie
« Reply #64 on: July 21, 2011, 07:11:26 AM »
it turns out the 90s really were the last good time for commercial rock radio.

I was thinking a while ago that the poptimist movement came at a strange time, since there are definitely fewer mainstream radio level bands that are worth listening to now than at any other point in history. Especially in Britain, where a significant portion of the best bands of the 20th century have always aimed for that kind of crossover success. As recently as the 90s Radio 1 would regularly play songs by Blur, Pulp, Suede, Supergrass and Elastica, all of whom have been absorbed into our modern (or maybe not so modern now) canon. Oasis seem like a bit of a joke in retrospect, but the British music press hyped them incessantly/continues to use them as a reference point for newer bands who are going to 'turn our music scene away from synths and back to guitars for the time being' once every half-decade, and at least a few of their big hits qualify as good drunken sing-alongs. I suppose it could just be a reaction to the devalued singles market for traditional four piece bands, but I can't envision much of a cultural consensus being formed w/r/t bands that captured the zeitgeist of the last ten years or so.
met this fat girl (not a huge whale or anything but like 25-26 BMI) at a club in like,,, 2008....shes cool, not my type but giant hooters....we start drinkin gettin real faded, and she takes me out to her car to smoke some dro.....im high as fuck and point blank shes just like "hey man i am down to blow you........" im like whatever and we try but my dick wasnt workin cuz i was so faded and this fuckin weed she had was like....fuck i just couldnt get my head in the game..but im rico suave and i get her digits and she texts me her address the next day and says "come over to get ur cock sucked and blow a load in my perm"

so i roll up and her roommate answers the door, i ask if her roomies around and she says "oh....she DIED TEN YEARS AGO THIS VERY DAY...."

Offline Edwin

• Smash and bang is my favorite combination
« Reply #65 on: July 21, 2011, 02:45:42 PM »
check the subliminal Zeitgeist reference on Alfie

Offline God King Emperor Kamala

• CXF Writer
« Reply #66 on: July 21, 2011, 04:17:01 PM »
Alfie rocks out to "Tarantula" while riding around Wiltshire.

Offline Dad Rock

• Alfie
« Reply #67 on: July 21, 2011, 07:49:58 PM »
I haven't lived there since I was 18, thank God.
met this fat girl (not a huge whale or anything but like 25-26 BMI) at a club in like,,, 2008....shes cool, not my type but giant hooters....we start drinkin gettin real faded, and she takes me out to her car to smoke some dro.....im high as fuck and point blank shes just like "hey man i am down to blow you........" im like whatever and we try but my dick wasnt workin cuz i was so faded and this fuckin weed she had was like....fuck i just couldnt get my head in the game..but im rico suave and i get her digits and she texts me her address the next day and says "come over to get ur cock sucked and blow a load in my perm"

so i roll up and her roommate answers the door, i ask if her roomies around and she says "oh....she DIED TEN YEARS AGO THIS VERY DAY...."

Offline BPSS

• BurningPirateShipSex
« Reply #68 on: July 21, 2011, 11:10:43 PM »
Perhaps off topic, but what would your top 10 most ridiculous lyrics be, Czech?

Offline Juggalo Cop

• Kreese
« Reply #69 on: July 21, 2011, 11:12:23 PM »
HERE IS ANOTHER WHITE GIRL WHO SHARES YOUR BIRDAY DAWG

This post will inevitably be edited by BPSS so I want to quote it to let everyone know it was here.

Offline BPSS

• BurningPirateShipSex
« Reply #70 on: July 21, 2011, 11:13:22 PM »
It's what I get for having PGT and this open in two different windows. Thanks, BUTT.

Offline Loaded Glove

• With a hot tub shaped like Texas Stadium
« Reply #71 on: July 22, 2011, 07:50:46 PM »
Of all the Smashing Pumpkins songs, this is my favorite Smashing Pumpkins song.

Offline Juggalo Cop

• Kreese
Re: THE WORLD IS A VAMPIRE...SENT TO DRAIN
« Reply #72 on: December 21, 2011, 01:55:43 PM »
I just listened to the entirety of Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness for the first time.  A fair number of the non-singles were actually rather good but my God was that album a chore to get through.  And yet it was so admirable in its ambition.  That kind of Grand Artistic Statement from a mainstream rocker just doesn't exist anymore, and it's a shame.  I know Billy is still trying to recapture that magic with his hilariously titled Teargarden by Kaleidyscope, but that's taking the whole thing way too far into self-parody.  I don't even know who the modern, far shittier counterpart to SP would be.  I could see someone like Pete Wentz trying it and failing miserably, but he tries too hard already.  How did rock get so small?

Offline Byron The Bulp

• Byron the bulb
  • Byron the bulb
« Reply #73 on: December 21, 2011, 03:41:25 PM »
How did rock get so small?

Glorious times are gone and everyone's doing bad.

• CXF Writer
« Reply #74 on: December 21, 2011, 04:43:49 PM »
How did rock get so small?

Glorious times are gone and everyone's doing bad.
#brodyofthemusicfolder

Offline Juggalo Cop

• Kreese
« Reply #75 on: December 21, 2011, 04:55:20 PM »

And that was seven months ago!  He's probably added a new page or two since.

• CXF Writer
« Reply #76 on: December 21, 2011, 05:00:24 PM »
That's how I'm so accurately able to assess your standing in this folder.

Offline Incandenza

« Reply #77 on: December 22, 2011, 04:14:19 AM »
Kamala's still smarting from the time I called him Brody with a liberal arts degree.

Offline NoCalMike

• Welcome to Prime Time, bitch!
    • EVIL EPISODES PODCAST!
« Reply #78 on: December 22, 2011, 08:49:52 PM »
Not that 90% of anything on Top 40 radio is worth listening to, but I can honestly say that the generic "modern rock" station is the least likely of any for me to find something that makes me want to keep it on there, especially since the "classic rock" station is beginning to mix in late 80's early 90's rock stuff.
Get your TV Horror Fix w/the Podcast EVIL EPISODES! Listen at:
http://www.legionpodcasts.com/
http://www.horrorphilia.com

Offline NoCalMike

• Welcome to Prime Time, bitch!
    • EVIL EPISODES PODCAST!
« Reply #79 on: December 22, 2011, 08:54:50 PM »
If there was a way to get some Dave Matthews into this thread, we'd just about have the complete set of shit I had to listen to when I was riding in someone else's car in high school.

Points for bringing up Dave Matthews.  Geez, talk about a band that was so universally loved during that time that I couldn't stand.
Get your TV Horror Fix w/the Podcast EVIL EPISODES! Listen at:
http://www.legionpodcasts.com/
http://www.horrorphilia.com

Offline Squad Goals

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • Your POV
« Reply #80 on: December 22, 2011, 11:59:13 PM »
I'm downloading this album right now (EMI/Corgan's obsession with not letting people steal music means this album is hard to find on most streaming sites). I'm pretty excited!

Offline Jaxxxson Mayhem

• If I told you cocaine numbers you would think I was lyin'
  • WWWYKI
« Reply #81 on: July 01, 2012, 01:53:23 PM »
The new album is REALLY good.

Offline Juggalo Cop

• Kreese
« Reply #82 on: February 15, 2018, 07:11:53 AM »
Reading my posts in this thread I was surprised at how dismissive I was of them, but I didn't go through the whole Pumpkins catalog until 2012-13.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/smashing-pumpkins-reunion-tour-w516780

"Reunion" announced but it's just Iha rejoining the current (all-male) lineup. Trump's America. They're only playing songs from the first five albums, which is good. I might go to the MSG show (it's on a Wednesday, which is inconvenient but I'll wait and see if it works) but I just don't know if 2018 Smashing Pumpkins are an arena act. I saw them in 2015 in Holmdel with Marilyn Manson, for which I paid $30. They did a nice 90-minute set with most of the hits, but they didn't play "Today." As far as I know that was their only amphitheater tour since the 2007 revival, and otherwise they've mostly done theaters and clubs. I know Billy is looking at GNR and seeing all the reunion cash, but James Iha is not Slash.

FAKE EDIT: They did an arena tour in 2012 supporting Oceania, but the only attendance figure I could find was that they drew 2,335 out of a 3,939 capacity at CT's Mohegan Sun Arena (which can hold up to 10,000 for concerts, meaning they didn't even use the whole arena.)

Offline Epic Reine

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #83 on: February 15, 2018, 03:00:11 PM »
https://www.alternativenation.net/smashing-pumpkins-bassist-darcy-first-interview-in-20-years/

D'arcy gave an interview stating that the reason for this tour is because the NWA set Billy back a lot financially. It is interesting that she was the only one not invited back for the reunion but she's had problems with Corgan for years.

I never disliked the Smashing Pumpkins but they were never a band I felt I needed to rush out and go see. I have friends who are massive fans though and have seen every iteration of them when they've toured the East Coast since reuniting in 2007. That's dedication.

Offline Juggalo Cop

• Kreese
« Reply #84 on: February 15, 2018, 04:24:03 PM »
I don't believe she has played live since she left the band, so who knows if her musicianship is up to a professional level anymore. Still it seems Billy didn't really want her back regardless of whether or not she can play. I guess Melissa Auf der Maur is retired, so they can't bring her back either, but they had a couple of lady ringers before they settled on Jack Bates, son of Peter Hook. The Pumpkins just aren't right without a female bass player.

Offline CookieMueller

• Forever blowing bubbles
  • CXF Writer
« Reply #85 on: February 19, 2018, 08:57:43 AM »
I didn't know Auf der Maur retired. :( I like her.

Offline geniusMoment

• Trailer Park Supervisor
« Reply #86 on: February 19, 2018, 10:05:52 AM »
Huge fan of the band, but I think they are over-reaching with the huge tour of major arenas.  Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems like they're going to have a hard time filling a lot of these places.  I could see them coming close with the United Center because of the Chicago ties, and maybe MSG because it's NYC.  But, I think a lot of these other places are going to be tough.

They really do have a surprising number of good songs though.

Soma
Mayonaise
Today
Tonight, Tonight
Zero
Disarm
Tarantula
Cherub Rock
Ava Adore

Those are 11 just off the top of my head.  I also like Perfect, but mainly because the music video shows what happened to the kids from the music video of 1979 as adults. 

Also, 1979 is probably my favorite music video ever.  So that adds something.
Randy!

Offline CookieMueller

• CXF Writer
« Reply #87 on: February 19, 2018, 11:08:21 AM »
If they get another well-known band from that era to open for them, they'd have a much better chance of selling out arenas. Can't think of any idle bands that fit the bill, big enough to help move a few tickets but small enough to not mind "opening". I'm on the fence about going but if Hole opened for them with Courtney, Eric, Melissa and Patty reunited I'd 100% buy a ticket. I realize there's probably only about 100 people on earth that feel that way though.

Pumpkins were smart to say "hey! only the songs you love!" I'll give them that.

Offline geniusMoment

• Trailer Park Supervisor
« Reply #88 on: February 19, 2018, 11:41:38 AM »
Not sure Courtney has the voice or drive anymore.  I don't think she's done anything live in a very long time.  I could see someone like Garbage opening.  Not sure if they would be big enough to help a ton though.
Randy!

Offline Epic Reine

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #89 on: February 19, 2018, 02:07:25 PM »
Yeah, my friends who are huge fans even admit that it's a big stretch for them to fill a lot of these arenas even on nostalgia. There's also apparently evidence, both video and written, of Billy criticizing other bands of doing "greatest hits" tours. I'm too lazy to find any proof but I'm inclined to believe he gave GNR shit for that.

Offline CookieMueller

• CXF Writer
« Reply #90 on: February 19, 2018, 03:50:13 PM »
Not sure Courtney has the voice or drive anymore.  I don't think she's done anything live in a very long time.  I could see someone like Garbage opening.  Not sure if they would be big enough to help a ton though.

Courtney would jump at the chance to play arenas. She played a bunch of shows opening for Lana Del Ray like 3 years ago, promoting nothing...just playing old Hole songs and weird covers.

I think Garbage would be cool. It's not even like "oh man GARBAGE (or whoever) will be there? Now I gotta go!" It's just like "oh wow two bands I liked when I was 14! This could be cool!" They've been doing 80s package tours for years and 90s ones are springing up all the time and they do money. They should either take a cue from those or just do 5,000 seat theaters like Janet Jackson did a few years ago.

Offline The Mole

• Chief Resistance Leader to CXF Dictatorship
  • CXF Writer
  • AA484
« Reply #91 on: February 19, 2018, 11:53:28 PM »
They really do have a surprising number of good songs though.

Soma
Mayonaise
Today
Tonight, Tonight
Zero
Disarm
Tarantula
Cherub Rock
Ava Adore

Those are 11 just off the top of my head.  I also like Perfect, but mainly because the music video shows what happened to the kids from the music video of 1979 as adults. 

Also, 1979 is probably my favorite music video ever.  So that adds something.

I'd add to that list:

Siva
Rhinoceros
Quiet
Hummer
Rocket
Geek U.S.A.
Mellon Collie...
Here is No Why
Bullet...
Galapagos
Porcelina
Bodies
Thru the Eyes of Ruby
To Sheila
Perfect
Stand Inside Your Love

Offline Juggalo Cop

• Kreese
« Reply #92 on: February 20, 2018, 08:44:54 AM »
I think Garbage would be cool. It's not even like "oh man GARBAGE (or whoever) will be there? Now I gotta go!" It's just like "oh wow two bands I liked when I was 14! This could be cool!" They've been doing 80s package tours for years and 90s ones are springing up all the time and they do money. They should either take a cue from those or just do 5,000 seat theaters like Janet Jackson did a few years ago.

This is pretty much what the Manson tour was three years ago, and while I'm pretty bad at estimating attendance, I'd guess there were at least 10,000 people there. I've long thought that the Pumpkins could draw pretty well in a package tour setting like that, hitting the sheds (that's what those in the biz call amphitheaters ;)) every couple of summers with a co-headliner like Bush or Alice in Chains or pre-suicide Soundgarden, some 90s band with a lot of hits that is also at the theater level on their own, but 2015 was the only time they've done it. I just don't know that there's a big difference in the commercial potential of the current Pumpkins vs the 2015 Iha-less Pumpkins.

If I go, I'm waiting til the last minute to buy my ticket. This shit is not going to sell out and I expect prices to drop, even in NYC.

Offline Squad Goals

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • Your POV
« Reply #93 on: February 20, 2018, 08:54:09 AM »
Billy's voice still sounds close to what it used to be in his heyday, so I think it's a worthwhile show. A lot of these old acts have singers that lost the voice.

I don't know if Iha will be a significant draw for the masses, but for real fans of the band, it should be a big deal. In that sense, considering that's who the nostalgic tour is for, I think it will help with tickets. No D'arcy is p. shitty, but hearing the guy who created the riffs on Soma and Rhinoceros play them live is a big deal imo.

Offline Squad Goals

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • Your POV
« Reply #94 on: February 20, 2018, 09:00:33 AM »
https://www.spin.com/2018/02/billy-corgan-titles-new-smashing-pumpkins-songs/

Looks like this isn't just a nostalgia act, eight new tracks BAH GAWD

Offline CookieMueller

• CXF Writer

Offline Epic Reine

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #96 on: February 26, 2018, 08:06:43 AM »
Don't know what they expected though I'm slightly shocked that Seattle is selling poorly.

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
  • Laugh This Off... Puddin!
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #97 on: March 22, 2018, 07:52:40 AM »
https://consequenceofsound.net/2018/03/billy-corgan-on-darcy-wretzky-that-bridge-is-now-burned-forever/

"Elsewhere in the interview, Corgan confirmed the existence of eight new songs produced by Rubin, which will be released as a pair of EPs later this year."