Author Topic: Late Night Talk Show Discussion  (Read 22325 times)

Description:

Offline Boomer Kamala

• CXF Writer
Late Night Talk Show Discussion
« on: August 10, 2011, 07:28:04 AM »
Lopez Tonight cancelled.

An ignominious ending for our generation's Arsenio Hall. I suppose BUTT will come into the thread to yell at us for being hypocrites for bitching about Leno pushing Conan out of The Tonight Show only for Conan to turn around and do the same thing to George Lopez on TBS. Though I suppose not since does any white person really care that much about George Lopez?

Offline Cool, Bad, & Handsome

• KOAB
Conan Blows
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 07:52:13 AM »
Conan is a backstabber and I can no longer watch anything he's apart of.

Offline Boomer Kamala

• CXF Writer
Conan Blows
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 08:05:03 AM »

Only enough room for one Mexican in TBS late night.

Offline #sorrynotsorry

• still fly
  • #bae
Conan Blows
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 08:07:11 AM »
Man Conan ratings have tanked.

Offline Boomer Kamala

• CXF Writer
Conan Blows
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 08:13:31 AM »
Yeah, I mean the TBS move isn't looking too great right now. It would have been a lot for him to get the Fox Network affiliates on board since Seinfeld reruns aren't that much less of a draw and are 10,000x cheaper but maybe FX or even a premium cable network were a better fit. Even I haven't watched that much of his TBS show.

Online Furry AND Republican

• CXF Writer
  • Gary
Conan Blows
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2011, 08:30:59 AM »
Man Conan ratings have tanked.
Also, I find his TBS show to be less funny. Sure, there's some amusing moments, but compared to the past, it feels watered down.

yes i am a "HO"

Honorable

Offline strummer

Conan Blows
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2011, 08:35:07 AM »
yeah have to admit the TBS show has been disappointing. The bits have really felt flat. Especially the audience participation ones I still love the banter between Conan and Andy

Offline The ghost of bps21

• Wade the Duck says: Your brush with Greatness is OVER!
Conan Blows
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2011, 08:37:30 AM »
I feel like the interviews are better than the Tonight Show era (except those epic last two weeks) but everything else is meh.  Fan Corrections are alright.  Anytime he does a bit in the audience it's awful.  I feel like he's running the show that NBC wanted him to do in the first place.  Less wackiness like the wax figures stuff...more bland crap that Leno would do.

Offline Amy pats fan

• P dot Roy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • hashtag trashbag
Conan Blows
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2011, 08:40:35 AM »
Conan belongs in New York.  He's an East Coast guy with East Coast humour.  His show has never felt right with the California audience.

• CXF Writer
  • Gary
Conan Blows
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2011, 08:44:57 AM »
Craig Ferguson is the real king of late night.

yes i am a "HO"

Honorable

Offline Byron The Bulp

• Byron the bulb
  • Byron the bulb
Conan Blows
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2011, 08:45:06 AM »
Conan belongs on the television ashheap next to Craig Kilborn.

• CXF Writer
  • Gary
Conan Blows
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2011, 08:46:15 AM »
Conan belongs on the television ashheap next to Craig Kilborn.

yes i am a "HO"

Honorable

Offline BorneAgain

• One Cocky Cracka
Conan Blows
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2011, 08:46:40 AM »
I miss the just plain weird characters from the late night era. Conan and the staff's love of esoteric humor is what led to bits like this you'd never see on any other show:

Offline strummer

Conan Blows
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2011, 09:00:08 AM »
the loss of Robert Smigel has to be another reason for the blandness. Smigel would not move to LA

Offline Saints_Fan_H

Conan Blows
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2011, 11:03:36 AM »
I loved the movie, but can it work for TV?

A TV show about a sly, fast-talking lawyer who plays by his own rules? We are truly in uncharted waters here.
I really felt like I was watching an extended episode of Law and Order without the usual actors.

Offline treble

• Truculence
  • Admin
Conan Blows
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2011, 11:18:10 AM »
Conan sucks and its unfortunate.  I've probably spent more hours of my life watching Conan O'Brien on TV than any other (non-sports) show, but the TBS show is just a step above un-watchable.

Offline Venkman

• Dr Venkman PhD
  • You don't know me and you don't have to know me
Conan Blows
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2011, 12:39:34 PM »
I like the show, but when I first got my DVR in 2008, "Late Night" was always must watch the day of recording while I'd let other talk shows sit up to a week (after a week I just deleted them figuring they were just piling up). Conan's "Tonight Show" was usually an immediate watch but fell victim to backlog. "Conan" quickly became a "watch all 4 episodes on Friday" show with me.

There's a lot right with the show (the visual package for the show's intro is very good, and I enjoy the creative changes they make to it from time to time), but off the top of my head I couldn't even tell you a funny recurring bit outside of Fan Corrections (the slam dunk mascots, I guess).

I did enjoy seeing the return of the guy riding his kayak to doom recently. Guess that bit wasn't intellectual property of NBC.

Offline Smues

• Admin
  • Smuesicide
Conan Blows
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2011, 12:54:45 PM »
Craig Ferguson is the real king of late night.
I want Jimmy Fallon to be dead. That doesn't make me a bad person.

Offline treble

• Truculence
  • Admin
Conan Blows
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2011, 01:00:59 PM »
The Happy Days intro they did last week (I think) was pretty cool.

I was excited for the TBS show since I thought his Tonight Show was pretty lame (aside from the drama the last 2 weeks or so) and most seemed to think that the new show would have a more Late Night vibe to it.  I think I DVRed and watched it for a few weeks and realized it was just as lame as the Tonight Show was and would only catch it if there was a guest I wanted to see or if I was still awake after Colbert ended and would see the first few minutes.

It's a little upsetting, since Late Night was always a must-watch show for me.  I went to work on way too little sleep way too many times and would always record it when I worked nights and would usually watch it shortly after I got home.

Late Night started going downhill about a year before he went to LA and he hasn't been the same since, aside from a few week span when he was losing his job.

Conan Blows
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2011, 01:04:05 PM »
The two periods in recent memory where he really shined were during the writer's strike and those 2 weeks when he was on his way out and the material was easy and personal.  So probably his writers suck.

Offline treble

• Truculence
  • Admin
Conan Blows
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2011, 01:16:36 PM »
Yeah, it was right after the writer's strike when he started prepping himself for the Tonight Show and I stopped liking it.

Offline Boomer Kamala

• CXF Writer
Conan Blows
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2011, 04:04:42 PM »
Some mod must have really had fun attributing a Conan Blows thread to me. :)

And to the surprise of absolutely no one, George Lopez made a lot of "They fired me because I'm Latino!" jokes tonight.

Conan Blows
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2011, 04:06:04 PM »
Was his show tonight awesome like Conan's last two weeks at the Tonight Show?

Offline Boomer Kamala

• CXF Writer
Conan Blows
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2011, 04:06:47 PM »
I only watched the first 5-10 minutes but I feel safe saying absolutely not.

Conan Blows
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2011, 04:07:04 PM »
Then fuck him.

Online geniusMoment

• Trailer Park Supervisor
Conan Blows
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2011, 04:19:49 PM »
At one point I was an absolutly huge Conan fan.  His run of shows from 96-99 ranks up there with Letterman from 87-92 in terms of all time great talk shows.

Andy's sister stacy, the man with bullett proof legs, his slide shows, where in the building is Andy Richter, "the more you know" NBC skits, Carl "oldie" Olsen, and tons more.  It was just great stuff.  Honestly, I felt the show hasn't been the same since Andy left the first time.

Lopez just sucks, always has, always will.

Randy!

Offline Boomer Kamala

• CXF Writer
Conan Blows
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2011, 04:23:03 PM »
Lopez is also a tremendous dick for cheating on his wife that donated one of her kidneys to him with hookers. I mean even Leno and Letterman probably wouldn't stoop to that shit.

Offline Venkman

• Dr Venkman PhD
  • You don't know me and you don't have to know me
Conan Blows
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2011, 04:25:58 PM »
Conan mentioned Lopez's cancellation and was pretty bummed about it.

Offline strummer

Conan Blows
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2011, 02:09:39 PM »
His run of shows from 96-99 ranks up there with Letterman from 87-92 in terms of all time great talk shows.

Letterman from 87-92 is the best ever IMO. It's amazing how the show took off once Dave broke up with Merrill Markoe and she was removed as head writer. Don't get me wrong she was great and created some all time great bits (Viewer mail ,pet tricks) but the difference is noticeable

Offline Boomer Kamala

• CXF Writer
Conan Blows
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2011, 03:42:42 PM »
Lopez Tonight's last episode has featured a where are they now segment with Arsenio Hall, Derek Fisher salsa dancing with Eva Longoria, and Ron Artest doing stand up. It's truly the TSM DAWG SQUAD'S ideal late night talk show. Too bad they're busy watching the Raiders.

Offline Boomer Kamala

• CXF Writer
Conan Blows
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2011, 03:54:38 AM »
http://teamcoco.com/content/conan-surprises-audience-jimmy-fallon-last-night
Kind of says something about how far Conan's stock has fallen in the past year that I don't hear anything about his first appearance on NBC since the end of his Tonight Show until a day later on Facebook.

I did chuckle at the staredown between him an ?uestlove.

Offline Star Ocean 3

• Star Ocean 2
Conan Blows
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2011, 02:48:46 PM »
Jimmy Kimmel is the real king of late night.

Conan Blows
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2011, 04:30:22 PM »
Not surprising Conan would pop up there.  Letterman did that a few times for him after his NBC departure. 

Offline Boomer Kamala

• CXF Writer
Conan Blows
« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2011, 04:29:20 AM »
I also think he's probably trying to come to some sort of reconciliation with Lorne since they had a bit of a tiff over Lorne being miffed at Conan that he wasn't brought over executive producer for The Tonight Show and Conan being pissed that Lorne didn't speak up in his behalf when he was being pushed aside for Leno again.

Offline Amy pats fan

• P dot Roy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • hashtag trashbag
Conan Blows
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2011, 02:33:26 PM »
Louis CK is on Conan RIGHT NOW

Conan Blows
« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2011, 03:22:06 PM »
The show was a million times better in NYC in the big theater. 

Offline Amy pats fan

• P dot Roy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • hashtag trashbag
Conan Blows
« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2011, 03:26:03 PM »
Yeah, I wish they'd just move back to NY permanently

Jon Stewart and Colbert popping up in the crowd was great

Offline Brooklyn Zoo

• BZ
  • BZ
Conan Blows
« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2011, 03:37:00 PM »
Conan belongs in New York.

Conan Blows
« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2011, 03:38:25 PM »
The whole week had better everything.  The Conan as a Chinese delivery guy video was the best thing they've done on this show...and with the exception of the last 2 weeks of the tonight show run...probably the best thing he's done since Late Night.

Offline Boomer Kamala

• CXF Writer
Conan Blows
« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2011, 03:40:13 PM »
Yeah, I wish they'd just move back to NY permanently

Jon Stewart and Colbert popping up in the crowd was great
This times infinity. The only downside of this week is he has to go back to L.A. next week. I understand why he didn't want to move back but Conan is such a New York show.

Offline Amy pats fan

• P dot Roy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • hashtag trashbag
Conan Blows
« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2011, 04:03:53 PM »
Larry King's brain transplanted into Geoff is one of the funniest things I've seen in a while

Putting this here because we don't have a Late Night TV thread

Offline Ed

• Ed
    • My Twitter Profile
Conan Blows
« Reply #41 on: November 11, 2011, 10:54:10 AM »
Well, if that's the case: I've always enjoyed it when Jimmy Fallon and Justin Timberlake do their "History Of Rap" medleys.

Offline "Dot Com" Matt Postin (heel)

• Poster of the Year
Re: Conan Blows
« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2012, 11:51:58 PM »
While waiting for the musical guest, I endured Conan interviewing Keegan-Michael Key. I don't think I've personally ever seen a worse interview on any O'Brien hosted talk show.

Offline foleyfanforever88

« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2012, 08:18:22 AM »
While waiting for the musical guest, I endured Conan interviewing Keegan-Michael Key. I don't think I've personally ever seen a worse interview on any O'Brien hosted talk show.

I didn't think it was bad at all.

Offline strummer

« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2012, 02:56:05 PM »
Conan still can't get the big guests to appear on his show. Just like the Tonight Show. His lead guest tonight was Carol Burnett. His others this week: Dr Phil, Kristen Bell and Martin Short. Mean while Letterman and Leno have Denzel, Ryan Reynolds, Reese Witherspoon, etc. The blame should be on his booking crew. Of course the biggest names aren't the best guests but for whatever reason the big stars don't seem to come on his show anymore. He had bigger guests on Late Night

Offline Wrestlemania/Limp Bizkit WINNER

• Kreese
« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2012, 03:19:25 PM »
Conan is only averaging something like a million viewers per night and a .5 18-49 rating.  Maybe his audience is too young to commit to regularly watching a late-night show, but I feel Conan's poor performance on TBS has vindicated me for believing that NBC made the right choice in choosing Leno over him.  Granted, Jay and Dave each only get a .9 on your average night but I feel pretty confident in saying that The Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien in 2012 wouldn't even hit those meager numbers.

Offline wnyxmcneal

« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2012, 03:30:02 PM »
Conan is only averaging something like a million viewers per night and a .5 18-49 rating.  Maybe his audience is too young to commit to regularly watching a late-night show, but I feel Conan's poor performance on TBS has vindicated me for believing that NBC made the right choice in choosing Leno over him.  Granted, Jay and Dave each only get a .9 on your average night but I feel pretty confident in saying that The Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien in 2012 wouldn't even hit those meager numbers.

No, I still think you're wrong. While Conan isn't doing that well on TBS, I don't think anyone would be doing well in that spot, especially after all the press wore off.

NBC never gave Conan or his show a chance. Late night talk shows are a slow burn business, they need time to grow. Look at the Tonight Show with Jay Leno take one, which took more than two years and getting the interview of a lifetime to take off. What did going back to Jay Leno really accomplish besides causing them to eat a bunch of money on a contract, a studio, and having a host who skews older. What happens when he wants to retire again?

Don't forget that for much of Conan's run, his lead-in was The Jay Leno Show, which was bleeding viewers.

Offline Wrestlemania/Limp Bizkit WINNER

• Kreese
« Reply #47 on: February 09, 2012, 04:02:15 PM »
I agree that they didn't give Conan a chance, but they were put in a tough spot where they had to choose one or the other.  And in the choice between someone with a proven track record of success or someone who was losing to Letterman in every category, what do you do?  I don't see that the public would eventually embrace Conan after a couple of years in the spot.  Conan isn't, and wasn't, some unknown quantity.  He got huge ratings that first week he hosted Tonight and then the public tuned out.  They gave him a chance and didn't like what they saw.  Of course The Jay Leno Show was a horrible idea, but the 10PM shows they have now really aren't doing much better.  Now if NBC had a big roster of hit shows to help provide a strong lead-in for the local news, and thus to Conan's Tonight Show, OR if they were planning to remake the entire schedule and focus on attracting young male viewers, he might have been worth taking a chance on but when you have so much that isn't working, I can't blame them for sticking with something that does, that being Leno at 11:30.  The network was caught in a situation where they had to look at their options and determine if they were willing to let Jay Leno go and compete against them.  They would have seen that as the necessary decision if they believed that Conan's Tonight Show had the potential to become a major hit with the 18-49 demographic, but they apparently didn't think there was a chance of that happening.  I can't say for sure that they were right but Conan's TBS ratings haven't done anything to convince me otherwise.  You can say nobody would have done well in that spot but track record has to count for something, doesn't it?  And as much money as they had to eat on Conan's contract, they would have had to eat a lot more on Leno's pay-and-play deal.

To be honest, I don't think Jeff Zucker ever really wanted Conan to host the Tonight Show.  That deal he made in 2004 was mainly made with the intention of ensuring five more years of the successful Leno/Conan lineup.  Conan getting the Tonight Show was the deal he had to make in order to protect his late-night schedule but I don't believe he was fully committed to the idea. 

« Reply #48 on: February 09, 2012, 04:03:24 PM »
You should always choose the younger audience over the older one. 

Offline Boomer Kamala

• CXF Writer
« Reply #49 on: February 09, 2012, 04:08:48 PM »
BUTT is 47 years old.