Author Topic: In Which I Review Movies Part II  (Read 4628 times)

Description: Hotel Artemis

Offline Firmino of the 909

• Admin
Re: In Which I Review Movies Part II
« Reply #250 on: October 21, 2019, 05:52:45 PM »

The Rachel Divide (2018), directed by Laura Brownson

The Rachel Divide is the first documentary that I can say made me laugh a lot while obviously not being a good documentary. Perhaps more than in any other case, the coverage of Rachel Dolezal brings to light the negativity in covering a subject entirely undeserving of people's attention. The ramification on the family of the subject cannot possibly be lost when this documentary is bringing it to light, but this is a shitty documentary for one reason alone. The nature of such a documentary is that the person is going to be given time to tell their own side of the story, and such as this story is, the person should not be given that time to tell their story. I think this highlights the problem with American media in general, and overall it explains why this country seems to tolerate things that others do not. The Rachel Divide isn't entirely lacking in events and important material, but the way that things work out is something I find more comedic and ridiculous than anything else. Is that wrong? Probably, but I can't help myself in this case. At no point did I ever feel bad for Rachel, but her kids were ultimately made to deal with the decisions their mother made. All of those decisions were inexplicable, selfish, and a sign someone is very mentally ill.

Everyone knows the story of Rachel Dolezal and what she actually did, but I think I should talk about the ramifications of her decisions in this section. Rachel had two kids, her former adopted brother Izaiah (long story) and her son Franklin. When this documentary began, she was pregnant with another son who would later be named Langston. Rachel's decision not to disappear once found out had extreme effects on everyone around her, including herself. Rachel went broke, and after this documentary was released she was prosecuted for welfare fraud. She had been receiving money in unreported income somehow regardless of her financial problems, but anyway, these are problems of her own creation. What I'm trying to say is that this is a very bad person. Addicted to social media, Rachel consistently created problems for her children because she could not help herself to do anything else. She said that it was her only outlet to the world and made her feel like herself, but what I see here is a disease. I see someone who doesn't care about anything that happens to their children as a result of their actions.

I don't really know where else to go with a review of this documentary other than saying that I was disgusted and appalled. I was stunned into laughter at this idiot claiming they were black and saying all kinds of other quite horrible things that served to devalue the experiences of other people. I also, quite frankly, do absolutely not understand what could have led someone to do all these things. Even being familiar with her life and the claims of abuse in her childhood do not do enough to explain why someone would inflict all this pain onto their kids. She associated her whiteness with bad experiences from her childhood, but I don't think that makes a hell of a lot of difference in knowing a bad person when I see one. Ultimately I can't write anything else about this person because of how ridiculous this was, how much I hate them, and how strongly I believe that this person should not have received any media attention.

5/10

koab [8:27 PM]
damn i thought you guys were good little cucks who would shit themselfs so a POC could peacefully protest

Offline The Art of Rasslin'

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • wipeoff
« Reply #251 on: October 22, 2019, 07:29:50 AM »
i'm surprised at the low score, you seemed to really be laughing hard while watching

https://collider.com/gemini-man-75-million-box-office-bomb/

smfh america can't appreciate the extra fps

I can't believe a guy can be that big, and jump around like he does what a great athlete!

• Admin
« Reply #252 on: October 22, 2019, 07:40:05 AM »
Yeah towards the end though, you realize the deleterious impact that comes with giving someone like her a platform. By the end of the movie you fucking hate this person and what they represent so much.

I also did some of my own research and saw the way she talked to black women when confronted with the reality of her life. The race struggle only mattered to her when she felt she was a major part of it, the struggle for her was her and totally about her. Once it went anymore she was like a tornado that ruined the lives of those closest to her, and she couldn’t bring herself to stop doing that.

damn i thought you guys were good little cucks who would shit themselfs so a POC could peacefully protest

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
  • Piranhas are a very tricky species.
« Reply #253 on: October 22, 2019, 09:59:57 AM »
I've made a real effort not to watch this, by the way.

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • wipeoff
« Reply #254 on: October 22, 2019, 11:14:43 AM »
Yeah towards the end though, you realize the deleterious impact that comes with giving someone like her a platform. By the end of the movie you fucking hate this person and what they represent so much.

I also did some of my own research and saw the way she talked to black women when confronted with the reality of her life. The race struggle only mattered to her when she felt she was a major part of it, the struggle for her was her and totally about her. Once it went anymore she was like a tornado that ruined the lives of those closest to her, and she couldn’t bring herself to stop doing that.

but what about the gemini man

I can't believe a guy can be that big, and jump around like he does what a great athlete!

• Admin
« Reply #255 on: October 22, 2019, 11:47:05 AM »
It's in the other thread my man

Offline Cool, Bad, & Handsome

• KOAB
« Reply #256 on: October 22, 2019, 01:59:16 PM »
ART OF RASSLIN AIN'T GOT TIME TO READ

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • wipeoff
« Reply #257 on: October 22, 2019, 09:15:33 PM »

• Admin
« Reply #258 on: November 12, 2019, 06:13:55 PM »

My Friend Dahmer (2017), directed by Marc Meyers

It turns out that when watching a film about someone so absolutely repulsive, I have a hard time writing anything about it. So, here we are. This is a movie that on some level I'm surprised exists at all, but fortunately this is also a movie where the filmmakers take great care not to paint their subject in a better light than he deserves. That's the best thing you can say about a movie like this one, I suppose. My Friend Dahmer is also an interesting movie in its own right, although I'm not too sure I'd call it good. My first, and probably most important observation, is that My Friend Dahmer is a boring movie. The examination of the subject doesn't quite hit as strongly as I would have liked it to, and I think the most important question is left unanswered. What drives someone to kill another person, and in this case multiple people? This isn't quite answered effectively enough by the film and you're left to make your own determination. I don't know if I would have done that. Also, you have to consider the fact that this movie was adapted from a graphic novel that one of his classmates wrote. I don't know if this was an attempt on the part of his classmate to absolve himself, but what My Friend Dahmer does is make people like said classmate look pretty bad.

I don't know if the time jumps on Wikipedia are accurate, but what I can tell you is that My Friend Dahmer kicks off with Jeffrey Dahmer (Ross Lynch) living in Ohio with his parents, Lionel (Dallas Roberts) and Joyce (Anne Heche). He also has a little brother, but the kid is truly irrelevant to this story. Jeffrey is a strange kid to say the least. He has an obsession with some guy who jogs on the same road as his school bus from time to time, but that's not even the worst thing about him. This kid collects dead animals that he dissolves using chemicals that his father has given to him, because his father is a chemist and has clearly indulged his son way too much. After some time, Lionel destroys Jeffrey's collection and forces him to make friends at school. While all this is going on, his mother Joyce is becoming more and more mentally ill, more difficult to handle and cope with. During school, Jeffrey is able to make friends, but for lack of a better word it's by acting like a special needs person. These friends are Derf (Alex Wolff), Neil (Tommy Nelson), and Mike (Harrison Holzer). Are they a good influence or are they indulging this guy? Does their presence help push him into doing crazy things, or was he already fucked up to begin with?

The answer to the last question, I suppose, is mostly the latter. I still feel like I'm not understanding the role of his friends, but they aren't really his friends in the first place. I had to do some of my own reading and found it strange that his father believed Jeffrey had a scientific curiosity in such things, but this is some information that I think belonged in the film. Perhaps I'm just not the proper audience for such a movie, you know. I think it's expected that most of the people watching My Friend Dahmer have some sort of knowledge about Dahmer, and I don't have any. I do appreciate that the film doesn't present the idea that Jeffrey could ever have been alright. That was never going to happen, but I think the film errs in not nailing down why they felt Dahmer became this way. I'm clearly in the minority as a lot of people think this was a strong film, but I do not. On the other hand, it is passable, and that is largely because of the performance by Ross Lynch. It is rather believable to a degree where you wonder if there's something wrong with the actor as well, highly convincing the whole way.

While there is something wrong with the movie, and while I did say it was boring, I couldn't bring myself to completely hate this. It is a movie about the development of a serial killer and there aren't very many of those. I think this is in the same category as the Ted Bundy movie that premiered earlier this year. I wish there had been just a little more to them, but both movies were acceptable.

6.5/10

2017 Films Ranked

Spoiler: show

1.   Dunkirk
2.   Phantom Thread
3.   The Shape of Water
4.   Get Out
5.   Good Time
6.   The Killing of a Sacred Deer
7.   Mudbound
8.   Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
9.   Logan
10.   Baby Driver
11.   The Post
12.   Wonder Woman
13.   The Big Sick
14.   Lady Bird
15.   Wind River
16.   Thor: Ragnarok
17.   mother!
18.   Logan Lucky
19.   The Beguiled
20.   The Meyerowitz Stories (New and Selected)
21.   Star Wars: The Last Jedi
22.   Brawl in Cell Block 99
23.   John Wick: Chapter 2
24.   The Disaster Artist
25.   The Lost City of Z
26.   First They Killed My Father
27.   A Ghost Story
28.   Last Flag Flying
29.   Hostiles
30.   Darkest Hour
31.   Spider-Man: Homecoming
32.   I Don't Feel at Home in This World Anymore
33.   Sweet Virginia
34.   It
35.   Battle of the Sexes
36.   Stronger
37.   Brad's Status
38.   Okja
39.   Norman: The Moderate Rise and Tragic Fall of a New York Fixer
40.   Kong: Skull Island
41.   It Comes at Night
42.   Crown Heights
43.   Split
44.   1922
45.   Personal Shopper
46.   Landline
47.   Thank You for Your Service
48.   Beatriz at Dinner
49.   Chuck
50.   Atomic Blonde
51.   Shot Caller
52.   Wheelman
53.   Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle
54.   Wonder
55.   Brigsby Bear
56.   The Lego Batman Movie
57.   Megan Leavey
58.   Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
59.   Wonderstruck
60.   Only the Brave
61.   Marshall
62.   Menashe
63.   Roman J. Israel, Esq.
64.   Walking Out
65.   American Made
66.   Annabelle: Creation
67.   Beauty and the Beast
68.   Imperial Dreams
69.   Gifted
70.   Murder on the Orient Express
71.   My Friend Dahmer
72.   The Zookeeper's Wife
73.   The Glass Castle
74.   The Foreigner
75.   Free Fire
76.   Win It All
77.   The Wall
78.   Life
79.   My Cousin Rachel
80.   Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets
81.   The Ballad of Lefty Brown
82.   The Fate of the Furious
83.   Breathe
84.   The Man Who Invented Christmas
85.   Maudie
86.   Patti Cake$
87.   Sleight
88.   Alone in Berlin
89.   A United Kingdom
90.   Trespass Against Us
91.   The Mountain Between Us
92.   War Machine
93.   Happy Death Day
94.   Lowriders
95.   Justice League
96.   To the Bone
97.   Ghost in the Shell
98.   Wakefield
99.   Bright
100.   The Tribes of Palos Verdes
101.   The Hitman's Bodyguard
102.   Mark Felt: The Man Who Brought Down the White House
103.   XXX: Return of Xander Cage
104.   The Mummy
105.   The Greatest Showman
106.   Rough Night
107.   King Arthur: Legend of the Sword
108.   Sand Castle
109.   The Circle
110.   American Assassin
111.   CHiPs
112.   Death Note
113.   47 Meters Down
114.   The Belko Experiment
115.   The Great Wall
116.   Fist Fight
117.   Baywatch
118.   Snatched
119.   Suburbicon
120.   Wilson
121.   The Dark Tower
122.   Queen of the Desert
123.   The House
124.   Flatliners
125.   Sleepless
126.   Geostorm
127.   All Eyez on Me
128.   The Snowman
129.   The Book of Henry
130.   The Space Between Us
131.   Daddy's Home 2

• Admin
« Reply #259 on: November 20, 2019, 06:11:13 PM »

Hotel Artemis (2018), directed by Drew Pearce

I have been meaning to watch Hotel Artemis for a long time, and after doing so I found myself so unbelievably bored that I can hardly put a review together. I'll try my best. What I was thinking while watching the film was that it was completely derivative of a John Wick movie, perhaps more than any other made to this day. What's really crazy is that there was no other way to really look at this film and it's impossible to see it differently from where I sit. There's also the fact that a fair amount of critics really liked Hotel Artemis. I cannot explain why, I don't have any real answer. The visuals are okay, I guess. The film also presents a lot of interesting ideas, almost all of which are ripped off of a John Wick movie, with the exception of some science-fiction medical techniques. I also, I'm afraid to say, do not find Charlie Day remotely amusing in this context. It's fair to say that the film was boring enough that I don't know how to make it better, but this is also a very short film and needs something that Hotel Artemis just doesn't have. The story is not what I would have wanted in a movie like this, and I don't understand what enticed Jodie Foster to return from a very long hiatus for this.

Hotel Artemis is a film set in 2028, in a version of Los Angeles currently suffering from a riot over water privatization, but much like everything else in the story, this doesn't go anywhere. During this riot, Sherman (Sterling K. Brown) decides that he and his brother Lev (Brian Tyree Henry) should go rob a bank. In the process of doing so, they steal a very nice looking pen, but while escaping Lev is wounded very badly. At the same time, Jean Thomas (Jodie Foster) is opening up the Hotel Artemis for the night. This place is a secret hospital that only treats criminals, and she goes by "the Nurse" for some reason I can't figure out. I guess criminals shouldn't have names. This becomes an issue for me throughout the film. Anyway, this hotel has rules. Nobody is allowed to bring in weapons, only a few people may enter with a patient at any given time, only members are allowed, and killing other guests is not allowed.

At this point I suppose it is time to introduce the other patients. When Sherman and Lev are admitted, we meet Everest (Batista), who is the Nurse's assistant. Makes sense that she would need muscle as an assistant. When people are assigned to a room, they are given the name of those rooms. Lev becomes Honolulu, and he is going to be given a 3D printed liver should the machine work well for him. Of course, Sherman goes around touring the rest of the hotel, at which point we are introduced to Acapulco (Charlie Day), a very loud and very stupid arms dealer. There's also Nice (Sofia Boutella), an international assassin who has apparently checked into many of these sorts of hospitals. Surprisingly, that's it. Nice is also old friends with Sherman. As the events of the night play out, the Nurse is notified that "The Wolf King" is headed to the hotel. I didn't know who was playing this guy, so I was surprised at the end result. Anyway, he's the biggest mobster in Los Angeles, and he also owns Hotel Artemis. What's more is that there's a cop that the Nurse knows, and she has found the hotel and is seeking aid. Thing is, cops aren't allowed, so there's going to be an issue going forward.

To say this film is a jumbled mess is an understatement. My rating is largely going to be based on the quality of the cast and their attempts to elevate horrible material despite Charlie Day's attempts to bring it down. I've largely said everything I was going to say about the story, but I will say that my mom liked this movie and she likes everything. So, at the very least, no doubt Hotel Artemis won over that group. This is a movie where someone throws a lot of ideas out there and never decides to deliver on any except one. The lack of true resolution is also not one of my favorite things in the world. There's one thing heavily in the favor of this movie besides the cast, and it's a science-fiction movie that actually delivers with the idea that people can benefit from enhancements like 3D printed organs. That's not so unrealistic that you can't believe at all that this could possibly happen. I will also say that this movie was better in the first half before Pearce failed to deliver on all these ideas, but the most egregious idea not followed up on is the water privatization riot. You can tell that this was a film made on a budget, so I suppose it is what it is. It is very boring and I do not recommend this.

5/10

2018 Films Ranked

Spoiler: show

1.   Roma
2.   A Star Is Born
3.   First Reformed
4.   The Favourite
5.   Widows
6.   First Man
7.   BlacKkKlansman
8.   Blindspotting
9.   Leave No Trace
10.   Black Panther
11.   If Beale Street Could Talk
12.   The Sisters Brothers
13.   A Private War
14.   Avengers: Infinity War
15.   Stan & Ollie
16.   Green Book
17.   Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse
18.   Mission: Impossible - Fallout
19.   The Ballad of Buster Scruggs
20.   On My Skin
21.   Private Life
22.   Climax
23.   Can You Ever Forgive Me?
24.   Mid90s
25.   Eighth Grade
26.   Sorry to Bother You
27.   Suspiria
28.   Vice
29.   The Old Man & the Gun
30.   Vox Lux
31.   Bad Times at the El Royale
32.   The Other Side of the Wind
33.   Searching
34.   A Simple Favor
35.   The Hate U Give
36.   Unsane
37.   Disobedience
38.   Boy Erased
39.   Bumblebee
40.   Mary Poppins Returns
41.   Creed II
42.   Hold the Dark
43.   The Land of Steady Habits
44.   Halloween
45.   Ant-Man and the Wasp
46.   Blockers
47.   Beirut
48.   Roxanne Roxanne
49.   Tully
50.   Mary Queen of Scots
51.   Aquaman
52.   Ideal Home
53.   Outlaw King
54.   Overlord
55.   Ready Player One
56.   Ben Is Back
57.   Monsters and Men
58.   The Mule
59.   On the Basis of Sex
60.   Bohemian Rhapsody
61.   White Boy Rick 
62.   Papillon
63.   Game Night
64.   Sicario 2: Day of the Soldado
65.   Ocean's Eight
66.   Alpha
67.   Come Sunday
68.   Instant Family
69.   The Front Runner
70.   The Predator
71.   Apostle
72.   Uncle Drew
73.   The Cured
74.   The Commuter
75.   The Angel
76.   Tag
77.   Beautiful Boy
78.   The Nun
79.   Operation Finale
80.   The Equalizer 2
81.   The Spy Who Dumped Me
82.   Cargo
83.   Yardie
84.   Bird Box
85.   12 Strong
86.   Venom
87.   Skyscraper
88.   The Meg
89.   Assassination Nation
90.   Backstabbing for Beginners
91.   The Girl in the Spider's Web
92.   The House with a Clock in Its Walls
93.   22 July
94.   Tomb Raider
95.   Rampage
96.   Hotel Artemis
97.   Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom
98.   The Little Stranger
99.   7 Days in Entebbe
100.   Night School
101.   The 15:17 To Paris
102.   Peppermint
103.   Mile 22
104.   The First Purge
105.   Hunter Killer
106.   The Hurricane Heist
107.   The Cloverfield Paradox
108.   Breaking In
109.   Mute
110.   Kin
111.   Hell Fest
112.   Proud Mary
113.   Robin Hood
114.   Traffik
115.   Winchester
116.   The Happytime Murders
117.   The Outsider
118.   Slender Man

Offline Hawk 34

• Death Pool Winner
« Reply #260 on: November 20, 2019, 10:37:33 PM »
I didn’t read the review but I hope you talked about how Jodie Foster emotionally bullied Batista during the filming to the point Batista almost quit.

• Admin
« Reply #261 on: November 23, 2019, 05:41:01 PM »
I didn’t read the review but I hope you talked about how Jodie Foster emotionally bullied Batista during the filming to the point Batista almost quit.

I didn't and WTF