Author Topic: A Classic Match A Day  (Read 2913 times)

Description:

Offline Psycho Penguin

• Mitch Richmond > Michael Jordan
    • Twitter
A Classic Match A Day
« on: May 02, 2009, 08:38:23 AM »
I have not seen a lot of older (pre-1999) classic matches, so I am trying to catch up on those I have missed, by watching one per day for an entire month.

If they are on youtube or dailymotion, and I have not seen them, I will watch them.

Any suggestions? I have seen stuff like HBK/Bret, Bret/Austin, and Bret/Owen.

Thanks!

Offline foleyfanforever88

A Classic Match A Day
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2009, 08:41:42 AM »
Randy Savage vs. Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat, Wrestlemania III

Offline Psycho Penguin

• Twitter
A Classic Match A Day
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2009, 08:43:25 AM »
Ah great match, but that reminds me of the first match I will watch.

Savage vs Flair, Wrestlemania 8

Offline Monsoon Classic

• Monsoon_Classic
    • My YouTube Channel with over 2,000 classic WWF & WCW videos
A Classic Match A Day
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2009, 10:28:56 AM »
Excellent choice.  Any time Savage is pissed off, a good match generally follows.
Check out my YouTube page for over 2,000 classic WWF & WCW videos:
https://www.youtube.com/user/MrMonsoonClassic/videos

Offline Psycho Penguin

• Twitter
A Classic Match A Day
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2009, 11:16:46 AM »
That was a great match. It started off kind of slow, but got really intense and awesome in the later half. And did it even end the feud? They got into a pull-apart brawl after the match was over, and it didn't seem like anything was settled. FLAIR KISSED LIZ!

Offline "Dot Com" Matt Postin (heel)

• Poster of the Year
A Classic Match A Day
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2009, 11:27:54 AM »
Have you watched The Boss versus Vader from Spring Stampede on 24/7 this month? It fucking rocks. I mean, this is a match on the undercard with Flair/Steamboat main eventing and I'm saying this match was a lot more fun to watch.

Offline Psycho Penguin

• Twitter
A Classic Match A Day
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2009, 11:31:35 AM »
Nope, I'll add it to the list. What show was it from?

I don't have 24/7, but I have a lot of old WCW PPVs on my hard drive, so chances are I have it or can get it by the end of the month.

Offline Jebus

• Be excellent to each other!
A Classic Match A Day
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2009, 11:43:05 AM »
Did you watch Flair vs. Savage with post-match interviews cause they are awesome!
Savage is all like "We're not through by a long shot!" and Flair is all like "Celebrate now Savage cause it won't last long"...but y'know not so generic.

If not, find them interviews!

The feud never really had a definite ending as Flair regained the belt in September with help from Razor Ramon.
That led to the tag match of Savage & newly turned face Mr. Perfect (turned on Heenan & Flair) vs. Flair & Razor.
Flair smoothly transitioned from feuding with Savage to feuding with Perfect until his departure.

Offline The Buzz

A Classic Match A Day
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2009, 12:05:13 PM »
I figure this will be WWE heavy so I'll throw in some good-great wcw matches from the early to mid 90s.

Ric Flair vs Vader-Starrcade 93
Sting vs Vader Great American Bash 92
Sting  vs Vader, Starrcade 92
Sting vs Vader Superbrawl 93 Strap match
Vader vs. Cactus Jack – Halloween Havoc ’93 Texas Death Match
Sting vs Ric Flair- Clash of The Champions
Ric Flair vs Arn Anderson Fall Brawl 95
Steve Austin vs. Ricky Steamboat – BATB ’94
Steve Austin vs. Brian Pillman - Clash XXV
Ricky Steamboat vs. Rick Rude – Beach Blast ’92 Ironman Match
Ric Flair vs. Ricky Steamboat - Spring Stampede '94
Jushin Liger vs. Brian Pillman - Superbrawl '92
Sting vs DDP-Episode of Monday Nitro 99(If you can track this down, it's pretty good.)
Chris Jericho vs. Ultimo Dragon – BATB ’97
Eddy Guerrero vs. Dean Malenko - Uncensored '97
Dean Malenko vs. Ultimo Dragon - Starrcade '96
Psychosis vs. Rey Mysterio, Jr. – Bash at the Beach ’96
Rey Misterio Jr. vs. Eddy Guerrero - Halloween Havoc ’97
Chris Benoit vs. Kevin Sullivan – GAB ’96 Falls count anywhere
Dustin Rhodes vs Vader-WCW Clash of Champions November 1994
Wargames-WrestleWar 92(
Sting, Barry Windham, Ricky Steamboat, Nikita Koloff, Dustin Rhodes vs Rick Rude, Steve Austin, Arn Anderson, Bobby Eaton, Larry Zbyszko)

• Poster of the Year
A Classic Match A Day
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2009, 02:28:36 PM »
Nope, I'll add it to the list. What show was it from?

I don't have 24/7, but I have a lot of old WCW PPVs on my hard drive, so chances are I have it or can get it by the end of the month.

Whoops. I've seen you post in the thread, but I wasn't sure. It's on Spring Stampede 1994.

Offline Jingus

A Classic Match A Day
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2009, 02:41:51 PM »
I have a lot of old WCW PPVs on my hard drive
Which shows?  Maybe we could use some of 'em for the club. 

Offline Psycho Penguin

• Twitter
A Classic Match A Day
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2009, 05:31:28 AM »
Jebus: No, I saw the pre-match stuff but the segment ended at the pull apart brawl. I will go youtube those, otherwise I have the WM8 DVD somewhere.

The Buzz: Thanks! My knowledge of early WCW is limited, so that is tremendous help.

Mattdotcom: Yeah, I just find out what's on there (sometimes) and post about it if I have seen it in the past, or own the stuff. I really wish I had 24/7, but I only have basic cable.

Jingus: I have pretty much every show from 96-01, and random stuff before then.

Offline Bigelow34

• The Place to Be
A Classic Match A Day
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2009, 06:09:14 AM »
Bret Hart vs. British Bulldog from In Your House 5. I actually prefer this one to their SS92 match. The atmosphere isn't as good, but Bulldog was in better shape and it is littered with stiff offense and blood. Good stuff.

Offline Psycho Penguin

• Twitter
A Classic Match A Day
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2009, 02:59:37 PM »
Bret Hart vs. British Bulldog from In Your House 5. I actually prefer this one to their SS92 match. The atmosphere isn't as good, but Bulldog was in better shape and it is littered with stiff offense and blood. Good stuff.

Found this on Dailymotion as I was not in the mood for their longer and seemingly less physical well known SS 92 match. This match was AWESOME. The story was great, good pacing, solid wrestling, BLOOD, everything. Too many Horsetooth Hart camera shots, though. Whatever happened to Undertaker getting a title shot at the next PPV? (I'm guessing this was 95.... so Rumble 96)

Online THE TUGSTER

• Alfdogg
A Classic Match A Day
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2009, 03:05:17 PM »
He did get a title shot.  He had Bret pinned at the end, but Diesel pulled the referee out of the ring for the DQ.
@alfdogg765 on Twitter FOLLOW ME

Offline Gert

A Classic Match A Day
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2009, 03:07:11 PM »
Undertaker did get the title shot, and would have won had it not been for that meddlin' Diesel!

Actually if you can find Spring Stampede 94, skip the first two matches and the rest of the card ranges from above average to great.

The Pillman-Regal match was one I think I watched a dozen times trying to like it, but it did not do anything for me.

Offline Monsoon Classic

• Monsoon_Classic
A Classic Match A Day
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2009, 03:55:56 PM »
Those telegraphed time limit draw matches are almost always an automatic FF from me as in the case of Pillman/Regal.  Even if the match is good, you know the ending will suck.

Offline Bigelow34

• The Place to Be
A Classic Match A Day
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2009, 11:36:59 PM »

Found this on Dailymotion as I was not in the mood for their longer and seemingly less physical well known SS 92 match. This match was AWESOME. The story was great, good pacing, solid wrestling, BLOOD, everything. Too many Horsetooth Hart camera shots, though. Whatever happened to Undertaker getting a title shot at the next PPV? (I'm guessing this was 95.... so Rumble 96)

Glad you enjoyed it. Bulldog took some nasty bumps in that one.

Have you seen the Kid/Ramon vs. Diesel/Michaels Action Zone match? From October 94. Also full of awesome.

Another mid 90s gem is Bret vs. 123 Kid from Raw in June 94.

Offline alkeiper

• Welcoming our new insect overlords
A Classic Match A Day
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2009, 11:41:50 PM »
Mid 90s?  Let's go back a bit further.  This is one of the greatest matches in WWF history.  Sgt. Slaughter vs. The Iron Sheik in a boot camp match.

Sgt. Slaughter vs The Iron Sheik 6/84

Offline Black Lushus

A Classic Match A Day
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2009, 12:10:50 AM »
Savage/Warrior from Wrestlemania 7...psychology up the ying-yang, amazing crowd heat.  Watch it ASAP!

I can't remember which year (either 96 or 97) or PPV (possibly Great American Bash) it was, but there's a Rey Mysterio/Dean Malenko match that just blew my mind with it's awesome-ness.

Also, whatever PPV that was where Jericho was beating all those cruiserweights up til one that was masked revealed himself to be Malenko.

(Sorry, not being a huge WCW fan, I tend to forget PPV events)

Bret Hart had a couple of decent hidden gems with Hakushi in 95.

Wild Card match from Survivor Series 95.

Royal Rumble 92 match.

HBK/Mankind from IYH: Mind Games 96...by the way, is this the only time those two have tussled in any shape or form?

Also, should we say that Flair ultimately won his fued with Savage with the way things wrapped up for them once Savage arrived in WCW?

Offline Kotzenjunge

• looptid
  • Kotzenjunge
    • A site I wrote.
A Classic Match A Day
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2009, 04:51:52 AM »
Never actually sat and watched the Boot Camp match before. I've heard/read about it, but never watched it. That's some crazy heat. I dug Slaughter's entrance. Did he always do that back in the day, or was that match considered a special occasion? The only ringwork I've seen of Slaughter's is from 1990 or later, and HOLY SHIT did he just do a second rope dropkick? This match rules. Something else that's cool is how the ring bell is used like a gavel in a courtroom. Does WWE even do the bell ringing during beatdowns or post-match shenanigans anymore?

Offline alkeiper

• Welcoming our new insect overlords
A Classic Match A Day
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2009, 05:11:53 AM »
Never actually sat and watched the Boot Camp match before. I've heard/read about it, but never watched it. That's some crazy heat. I dug Slaughter's entrance. Did he always do that back in the day, or was that match considered a special occasion? The only ringwork I've seen of Slaughter's is from 1990 or later, and HOLY SHIT did he just do a second rope dropkick? This match rules. Something else that's cool is how the ring bell is used like a gavel in a courtroom. Does WWE even do the bell ringing during beatdowns or post-match shenanigans anymore?
Slaughter actually did a cage dive in a match against Rick Steamboat and Jay Youngblood.  From 1980-84, he was a heck of a worker. 

Offline Black Lushus

A Classic Match A Day
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2009, 05:23:14 AM »
Hey, Slaughter does take one of the best bumps in Royal Rumble history...not quite TAKA Michinoku worthy, but pretty darn good.

Offline wnyxmcneal

A Classic Match A Day
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2009, 05:39:46 AM »
The Wild Card match is pretty bad. It's really sloppy, with lots of mistimed spots.

Foley v. HBK took place on a RAW in 97.

Offline Black Lushus

A Classic Match A Day
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2009, 05:43:44 AM »
The Wild Card match is pretty bad. It's really sloppy, with lots of mistimed spots.

Foley v. HBK took place on a RAW in 97.

bob, YOU'RE bad and really sloppy!  Probably mistime a lot of things too!  :P

Offline Psycho Penguin

• Twitter
A Classic Match A Day
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2009, 05:45:23 AM »
I've seen some of these matches, but not a lot of them. Savage/Warrior is goddamn amazing, it's amazing how Warrior had 2 near 5-star matches at back to back WMs in my eyes.

Offline wnyxmcneal

A Classic Match A Day
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2009, 05:47:40 AM »
Have you seen the Wild Card match? There's one spot where everyone is just waiting around to break up the pin. That and HBK seemingly being fine despite taking a Razor's Edge and a powerbomb. It was a good concept, but not a great execution.

Offline mellow

• NXT Pro
    • Hell no.
A Classic Match A Day
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2009, 05:49:57 AM »
Here's a match that I will throw out there:

Johnny B. Badd vs. Brian Pillman
Fall Brawl 1995

I had been a fan of Badd for a while, but I had no idea just how good he was until I saw this one. Great back and forth, amongst other things that I will not spoil for you. Some could consider this the last great match that Pillman wrestled under the "high flyer" style, as he would turn heel rather abruptly on his way to becoming a Horsemen after this match, thus reverting back to the formula that he perfected several years earlier when he was teaming with Barry Windham and later Steve Austin. Great contest that keeps you into it all the way until the conclusion.

Offline Black Lushus

A Classic Match A Day
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2009, 05:52:24 AM »
Oh it was fine and a lot of fun and one he should at least check out once.

The Malenko/Mysterio match I was talking about earlier was GAB96.

Also, if you haven't seen it, check out the 10 man tag from IYH: Canadian Stampede...the heat on Austin is off the damn charts.

Offline Psycho Penguin

• Twitter
A Classic Match A Day
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2009, 06:23:16 AM »
I've seen Survivor Series 95 before. Good show.

• Poster of the Year
A Classic Match A Day
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2009, 08:23:04 AM »

You should watch this, then Rey vs Psychosis from BATB96, then the Rey/Dean rematch from the next night's Nitro. It's pretty much how Mysterio got over in mainstream America.

Offline mw679

• Kicked In The Teeth
A Classic Match A Day
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2009, 08:35:23 AM »
Any Tiger Mask vs. Dynamite Kid match brings the goods everytime.

Offline Psycho Penguin

• Twitter
A Classic Match A Day
« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2009, 11:23:25 AM »

You should watch this, then Rey vs Psychosis from BATB96, then the Rey/Dean rematch from the next night's Nitro. It's pretty much how Mysterio got over in mainstream America.

I love me some cruiserweights.

Alright, I threw a bunch of matches in a randomizer, and each day one will be drawn randomly for me to watch. Good times.

Offline Psycho Penguin

• Twitter
A Classic Match A Day
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2009, 03:17:11 PM »
After watching whatever shit BATB 99 was, I decided I needed some good wrestling. I have only watched 2 matches in 4 days so far, so I have to watch 2 today and 2 tomorrow to catch up.

Rey Mysterio vs Dean Malenko - Great American Bash 96 - **** 1/2

Holy shit, this is a GREAT MATCH. Dean controls most of it with his typical mat wrestling, but he is so smooth in the ring that I can't help but love it. I was awaiting every move. Rey finally got the high flying stuff in at the end and the crowd ate it up. Sick finish, too, with Dean doing a STIFF powerbomb out of nowhere. Great fun, even if Rey's outfit was kind of lame. And I love Dusty on commentary. Man was gold.

Shawn Michaels vs Mankind - In Your House: Mind Games - **** 1/2

Foley seemed fucking awesome with this character, and HBK always brings the goods, so I expected a great match here. And I got it. Lots of funny spots, sick stuff (suplex leg first into the steps), and a very fun and well worked match. Lots of psychology involving Mankind's knee after that sick suplex spot. Mr. Perfect was great on commentary, and whatever assholes chanted BORING during a rest spot in the middle can go DIAF. Way better than I expected, and I expected a good match. It was longer than I figured it would be, too. Maybe 30 minutes. Or longer. The ending was a goddamn cluster fuck, but otherwise, fantastic match. Go watch this one.

Offline Psycho Penguin

• Twitter
A Classic Match A Day
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2009, 12:37:26 PM »
10 Man Tag Match - Canadian Stampede - *****

Jesus christ, did they turn the crowd mics on or something? When Jim Neidhart got an Austin at WM X-7 like pop coming out, I knew this match was going to be fun. And it was. The crowd made it so much better, but it was well worked and exciting. I love how the faces played heel during the match to play to the crowd. Even getting the 5 on 4 advantage at one point after Owen gets knocked out and Austin returns (to another series of boos). I'm a sucker for big multi-man matches. I just wish it was elimination, but otherwise I am so glad I finally watched this one.

Offline foleyfanforever88

A Classic Match A Day
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2009, 02:40:40 PM »
Could you post links to the matches that you watched along with the reviews? I'd like to watch a few of them too.

Offline Psycho Penguin

• Twitter
A Classic Match A Day
« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2009, 05:21:48 AM »

Offline Psycho Penguin

• Twitter
A Classic Match A Day
« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2009, 03:27:22 PM »
Ric Flair vs Vader - Starrcade 1993 - **** 1/4

Vader v Flair- World Title- Starrcade 93 Part 1 of 4

Michael Buffer was doing ring introductions for WCW in 1993? I did not know that. Anyways, I am trying to get into older WCW stuff and figured this would be a good place to start. It was.. well worked, smartly paced match. This is yet another match I have watched that ended with a rollup, but whatever.

Offline Monsoon Classic

• Monsoon_Classic
A Classic Match A Day
« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2009, 09:39:19 AM »
I never minded the rollup finish as long as the pinner is at least putting full body weight on his opponent.  The rollups where the eventual loser could just easily raise his shoulder rather than violently kick his legs like a dufus drive me nuts.