Author Topic: Best Podcasts out there  (Read 13531 times)

Description: What YOU should listen to at work

Offline Anakin Flair

• Suplex City, Bitch!
Best Podcasts out there
« on: March 20, 2012, 01:49:57 PM »
Taking off from a comment by KingPK:

What podcasts that you listen to do you think everyone should give a try? I download news video podcasts (Rachel Madddow and NBC nightly, sometimes Morning Joe), but I know those aren't everyone's cup of tea. One podcast I would recommend, though, is Now Playing. A really good movie review podcast with an  emphasis on horror, they tend to focus on series. For free, they have the Nightmare on Elm Street series, Friday the 13th series, and Halloween Series among others. They have also done Sci-fi (Star Trek) and are currently working through all of the Marvel movies (including luminaries like the Corman FAntastic Four, Generation X, both Captain America TV movies, Doctor Strange tv movie, etc) leading up to Avengers. Also later this year they will be doing a donation drive- I think for $15 you get all of the Batman movies, and for $25 you get that plus the Spielberg alien movies.

Well, that's enough shilling for one night. Any other good podcasts out there?

Offline Gary

• You Won't Get What You Want
  • CXF Writer
Re: Best Podcasts out there
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 01:51:06 PM »
The Paul F. Thomcast is pretty great.

COP: Tell me citizien. (prepares kill shot) Do you believe in God
ME (realizing i left my "Do you Believe in god" cheat sheet at home): Uuhh

Online BorneAgain

• One Cocky Cracka
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 01:52:46 PM »
For any history buffs, Hardcore History by Dan Carlin is a great podcast (though updated infrequently). Did a three part series on the Punic Wars, six part series on the Fall of the Roman Republic, and my absolute favorite a four part podcast on Eastern Front in WWII. Horrifying, nightmarish stuff, but absolutely fascinating. Guy does a tremendous job putting you in era and setting, and as cliche as it is, makes history come alive.

He charges a couple of bucks for the older shows, but they're entirely worth it.

Offline Bored

• Boreding Hard
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 02:12:13 PM »
Second to the Pod F Tompkast although the format might not be for everyone.

Plenty of good stuff on Earwolf especially Comedy Bang Bang and Who Charted?

Offline Amy pats fan

• P dot Roy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • hashtag trashbag
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 02:21:24 PM »
Tons of good stuff on Ear Wolf

Doug Loves Movies w/ Doug Benson

WTF with Marc Maron

Kevin Pollak's Chat Show

The Joe Rogan Experience

The Adam Carolla Show

Offline cobainwasmurdered

• Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 02:27:59 PM »
For any history buffs, Hardcore History by Dan Carlin is a great podcast (though updated infrequently). Did a three part series on the Punic Wars, six part series on the Fall of the Roman Republic, and my absolute favorite a four part podcast on Eastern Front in WWII. Horrifying, nightmarish stuff, but absolutely fascinating. Guy does a tremendous job putting you in era and setting, and as cliche as it is, makes history come alive.

He charges a couple of bucks for the older shows, but they're entirely worth it.

Seconded. That show is just amazing.

Offline KingPK

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
    • Spinning In The Tray
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2012, 02:42:18 PM »
Thank you sir.

I'm an avid Doug Loves Movies fan.  I even bought the Leonard Maltin app to play at home.

Earwolf has a ton of great podcasts like the How Did This Get Made one I mentioned and Sklarbro Country.  HENDERSON!!

Online Youth N Asia

• 2016 & 2017 Death Pool Reaper
  • Death Pool Winner
  • STRONG STYLE!
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2012, 03:13:17 PM »
Adam Carolla is my favorite podcast out there. Joe Rogan is hit and miss on his. Some of this are entirely boring

Offline NoCalMike

• Welcome to Prime Time, bitch!
    • EVIL EPISODES PODCAST!
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2012, 06:36:00 PM »
Marc Maron's WTF

Nerdist Podcast

Indoor Kids (Gaming podcast)

Bagged & Boarded

Film Junk (My favorite movies podcast)

Slashercast - hilarious horror podcast

Get your TV Horror Fix w/the Podcast EVIL EPISODES! Listen at:
http://www.legionpodcasts.com/
http://www.horrorphilia.com

Offline Jingus

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2012, 08:20:52 PM »
Various different shows under Kevin Smith's Smodcast brand are worthwhile, although some of them do require you to listen to a bunch of different episodes before you get all their running jokes and general tone. 

Offline Amy pats fan

• P dot Roy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • hashtag trashbag
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2012, 08:30:33 PM »

Offline Jingus

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2012, 08:53:48 PM »
One podcast I would recommend, though, is Now Playing. A really good movie review podcast with an  emphasis on horror, they tend to focus on series.
I'm listening to their Saw 3D review now, and I'm not terribly impressed.  Their analysis is pretty shallow, to the point where they refer to the Saw series as "thinking man's horror films".  And looking down their list of ratings, I seriously question their tastes in general.  They give all-thumbs-up to Saw III, Star Trek: Generations, X-men III, Quantum of Silence, Hostel 2, and both Human Centipedes; and entirely negative scores to Back to the Future part 2, Wes Craven's New Nightmare, Pineapple Express, and The Thing from Another World.  They actually expect people to PAY for this stuff?  Why?  They're not very insightful, they're not even trying to be funny, and they're complete nobodies.  They sound like they're just random people having a conversation about a movie, which is hardly something worth plunking down dollars for. 

Offline starvenger

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2012, 01:07:11 PM »
If you like Survivor, I'd recommend Rob Has a Podcast from Rob Cesternino.  Usually does podcasts with fellow Survivor alumni.

I enjoy Bryan Alvarez' 3000 podcasts per week.  Really recommend signing up for Wrestling Observer/F4 Weekly if you don't already subscribe.

More wrestling - The Score's Aftermath podcast is quite enjoyable. 

Getting Blanked is a fun general baseball podcast by the Drunk Jays Fans crew.  I've heard they're going to revive the DJF podcast for Blue Jays-centric stuff as well.

Speaking of baseball, anything with Keith Law is worth a listen.  So I guess I'm recommending ESPN's baseball podcast.

Atop the Fourth Wall is more of a videocast, but still good stuff.  Especially History of the Power Rangers, which I'm hoping will have a new episode soon.
Starvenger

Offline jimmy no nose

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2012, 01:19:16 PM »
The greatest podcast I've ever heard is called Daves of Thunder on the Adam Carolla Ace network.  They canceled it a while back though.  It was NFL.com's Dave Dameshek and TV writer David Feeney and they...I don't even know how to describe it.  One of the more interesting comedy podcasts out there as it wasn't a typical podcast format at all.

Right now I'm kind of addicted to Talking Shit with Jim Jefferies and Eddie Ifft.  Eddie's kind of a douche and not particularly funny, but Jim Jefferies kills on the show.

On the sports side it doesn't get any better than Up and In: The Baseball Prospectus Podcast.  I'd say it's about 80% baseball related and 20% general weirdness.

Offline The Amazing Rando

• Apparently Smart?
    • Opposite Attractions
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2012, 01:50:39 PM »
I listen to a very large chunk of the 5by5.tv network. It's a lot of Apple/iOS stuff, but they also do more general tech talk here and there, as well as stuff about web design, pop culture, productivity, and even sports.
A Horrible Premise - Episode 48: TEN CORGIS TAPED TOGETHER - an improv comedy game show podcast about creating 'horrible' tv shows.

Opposite Attractions - a comedy design podcast where two idiots design their very own theme parks. SEASON 4 HAS BEGUN.

Bro, Do You Even Tweet?

Offline Rendclaw

• Frankly my dear... eh, you know the rest.
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2012, 04:01:14 PM »
Mohr Stories is an excellent podcast. LOL funny, espeically when Jim Jeffries was on, which led me to their podcast.

The Film Vault is another, just for the douchiness quotient.

Offline Gert

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2012, 04:35:57 PM »
On the sports side it doesn't get any better than Up and In: The Baseball Prospectus Podcast.  I'd say it's about 80% baseball related and 20% general weirdness.

Agree 100%. I listen to Baseball Today and BB America, so I always saw the recommendation, but since most of their podcasts were over two hours I just thought it would be too long. Now I find myself walking more to hear it all. I would say your 80-20 split is right, and the general weirdness is always entertaining.

Offline KingPK

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
    • Spinning In The Tray
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2012, 04:52:11 PM »
On that note, what is your preference with podcast length?  The Giant Bombcast is usually 2+ hours, so I can listen to it during an evening of gaming (or split up between a few days), but I find that around an hour is best for most others since I can listen to them while getting ready for work or at least half of it during lunch.

Offline NoCalMike

• Welcome to Prime Time, bitch!
    • EVIL EPISODES PODCAST!
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2012, 07:39:04 PM »
I work in a cubicle all day so for me the longer the better, honestly. 

I have a podcast too! EvilEpisodes  I cover horror tv, horror games, as well as horror movies. I got picked up by the horror palace network. http://www.horrorpalace.com 

On the latest episode the biggest segment was covering The Fly '58 and The Fly '86 and I had Doug Tilley as a guest from dailygrindhouse.com on with us.
Get your TV Horror Fix w/the Podcast EVIL EPISODES! Listen at:
http://www.legionpodcasts.com/
http://www.horrorphilia.com

Offline "Dot Com" Matt Postin (heel)

• Poster of the Year
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2012, 01:30:41 AM »
I like listening to Now Playing because that guy Artie is such a chode. He'll praise Renny Harlin's direction of Nightmare on Elm Street 4 and trash MARTIN SCORSESE. I think he even defends Howard the Duck. It's amazing.

Offline Amy pats fan

• P dot Roy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • hashtag trashbag
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2012, 01:55:46 PM »
Since I'm listening to it right now I have to give a shout out to The Nick & Artie show with Nick Dipaolo and Artie Lange.  It's not a podcast per se, but they stream it live on their website and put all the shows up for download.  It's part sports talk and part comedy, 5 days a week from 10pm-1am EST.

Offline Reign

« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2012, 11:30:19 PM »
The Hollywood Saloon is an excellent podcast covering film history. The have shows on Halloween, ALL the bond series, one discussing the director commentaries, just all kinds of good stuff. And they are involved in the film industry so they sound like they know what they are talking about.

• Poster of the Year
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2012, 01:27:55 AM »
The Hollywood Saloon would be the best podcast if they updated it regularly. Well it still is the best so whatever.

Offline LPM

• Marka For La Parka
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2012, 02:28:08 AM »

Seconded. That show is just amazing.

Does any other historical podcast come close to Hardcore History? HH is so ridiculously good that listening to some other podcasts (like the history of the byzantium emperors podcast) are just absolutely bland by comparison.

CBC has a bunch of good podcasts. Definitely Not The Opera is a sort of culture podcast that covers a general topic (like 'secrets') and then manages to pump out a good solid hour on it. Spark is a fantastic show about tech trends and society. The Age of Persuasion is a short podcast (30 mins) about different marketing topics, really interesting stuff. Dispatches is a bit closer to traditional news, but it's still worth a listen...it's a collection of in-depth stories from reporters on the ground around the world, covers things in a lot more detail than the usual 2 minute snippet you see on the evening news.

Offline CookieMueller

• Forever blowing bubbles
  • CXF Writer
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2012, 08:14:32 AM »
The only podcasts I listen to every week are the aforementioned Rob Has a Podcast, which is about mostly Survivor (which I no longer even watch but I just like the podcast that much), and Football Weekly. I actually listen semi-regularly to a lot of soccer/football podcasts but some of the pundits are UNBEARABLE but Football Weekly only has one scouse guy that very regularly comes on that annoys me. Gabriele Marcotti is a fucking tool and ruined whatever podcast that is that he hosts, but the panel was good. The Score has a good one, The Footy Show, but if Kristian Jack is on it, I'm done. I hate that dude.

Ex-girlfriend really liked Battleship Pretension, but I'm not a big movie person so it didn't always interest me. But they seem to have a decent following and get some recognisable celebrity guests from time to time.

Offline starvenger

« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2012, 03:29:14 PM »
I forgot to mention Awesomed By Comics, which has been sporadic of late as the hosts just had a baby.

Linkara update: HoPR is apparently returning in April.

Can anyone recommend a Top Chef podcast?
Starvenger

Offline KingPK

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
    • Spinning In The Tray
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2012, 01:37:46 PM »
I listened to my first episode of Comedy Film Nerds today.  Not bad; it'll probably go into my rotation since I canceled my F4W sub.

Offline Scroby

• Low rent Indy Referee
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2012, 10:46:06 AM »
I listen to the following Podcasts,

Adam Carolla (Puts out about 5 to 7 podcasts a week.)

Kevin and Bean (Puts out 5 podcasts a week.)

Hollywood Babble-on (Kevin Smith & Ralph Garmen, and only once a week.)

Penn's Sunday school (Still 50/50 on this one and it's only once a week.)

Colt Cabana's Art of Wrestling (Once a week podcast)

WRONG! I'm perfectly sane everyone else however is insane and is trying to steal my magic bag.

Offline chuck

« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2012, 11:33:24 AM »

Right now I'm kind of addicted to Talking Shit with Jim Jefferies and Eddie Ifft.  Eddie's kind of a douche and not particularly funny, but Jim Jefferies kills on the show.

This podcast has had more laugh out loud moments than any other I've listened to. If you haven't listened before start from the beginning because there are alot of inside jokes. JRE, Carolla, Icehouse Chronicles and Mohr are the others I listen to consistently.

Online Youth N Asia

• Death Pool Winner
  • STRONG STYLE!
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2012, 03:36:21 AM »
I didn't know Jeffries had a podcast. Dude's funny as hell. I'll look that one up

Offline Jingus

« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2012, 08:07:17 PM »
There's some random cast featuring random dudes streaming on Smodcast at the moment.  I dunno who these two guys are, but apparently one of them worked on Twilight: Breaking Dawn in some capacity.  They've literally spent the last thirty minutes, if not more, bitching and moaning and whining about how mean and unfair the critics were to this movie.  They're the kind of ignorant amateurs who know just enough about a subject (in this case, film criticism) to think they know a lot, when in reality they barely know jack shit. 

They're desperately listing a bunch of different arguments and talking points about how/why the critics are wrong, in a shotgun pattern where they're just praying that something will hit.  "Some critics liked it!" and "legit critics liked it" and "the critics have their own agenda against us" and "all of Pauline Kael's disciples liked it (the words "White, Armond" go unmentioned)" and "RottenTomatoes is biased against us" and "the ugly reviews came after press screenings where everyone loved it, so clearly the critics are lying" and "kids love the movie, and they're the real audience" and "not just kids love the movie, some adults too!" and finally of course "well it made a bunch of money, so fuck anyone who claims it could possibly be bad". 

I can't stop listening to this bullshit!  They're so fascinatingly wrong. 

EDIT: apparently the show is called "Team Jack", featuring Jack Morrissey and Greg Yolan, whoever they are. 

Offline KingPK

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
    • Spinning In The Tray
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2012, 06:28:14 AM »
Kevin Murphy and Bill Corbett are on this week's Sklarbro Country.

I've been really getting into the Nerdist podcast recently.  There are just a great variety of guests and the hosts are really good.

Offline strummer

« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2013, 04:36:30 PM »
Chris Hardwick's dad died today.  Billy Hardwick was a former pro bowler on the PBA tour and at one time was the # 1 ranked bowler in the country

Online Youth N Asia

• Death Pool Winner
  • STRONG STYLE!
« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2013, 04:46:17 PM »
I've been listening to The Daily Spill lately. By the guys that run spill.com. Fun show. They also do a Walking Dead recap every week.

Offline The Real DXP

• daileyxplanet
    • TrevorTwitter
« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2013, 04:17:18 AM »
James Bonding
Nerdist Writer's Panel
Retronauts
Stuff You Should Know
Go Bayside
History of Westeros
Comedy Bang Bang
Fatman On Batman and so much more!

Offline KingPK

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
    • Spinning In The Tray
« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2013, 12:25:43 PM »
Chris Jericho's new podcast Talk Is Jericho debuts today with Steve Austin as his first guest.

Offline Big McLargehuge

« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2013, 01:10:09 PM »
The Flop House Podcast is one of my faves. It predates How Did This Get Made by about four years but doesn't get the same attention. I love both podcasts though.

I'll second Retronauts as well. The old 1Up feed and the current version are both fun listens.

It's been mentioned in the Wrestling folder but the Place To Be Podcast is great. The Kevin Kelly episodes are really interesting listens.

Offline Monsoon Classic

• Monsoon_Classic
    • My YouTube Channel with over 2,000 classic WWF & WCW videos
« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2013, 04:16:11 AM »
Ironically, I'm not much of a fan of the Place to Be podcast except when Kevin Kelly is on to walkthrough his WWF years. Really good stuff.

I recently got into the Review-A-Wai podcast with John Pollack & Wai Ting. They review old wrestling ppvs and some dvds. Ting is really laid back while Pollack is more or less a Bryan Alvarez clone. Either way, since they're in their 20s, they provide a fresh perspective to some of the older shows when they weren't following wrestling at the time.
Check out my YouTube page for over 2,000 classic WWF & WCW videos:
https://www.youtube.com/user/MrMonsoonClassic/videos

Offline KingPK

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
    • Spinning In The Tray
« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2013, 11:12:13 AM »
This week's Doug Loves Movies is an hour of glorious lunacy.  I love the Most Annoying Guest competitions.  And Jeff Garlin wasn't even involved!

Offline Angle-plex

• Hey....it's sexy.....
« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2013, 01:39:43 PM »
Austin's is usually pretty good, depending on who his guest is. I used to like Carolla's, but it basically the same five rants over and over and endless money grubbing now.

Offline Big McLargehuge

« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2013, 02:53:56 PM »
This week's Doug Loves Movies is an hour of glorious lunacy.  I love the Most Annoying Guest competitions.  And Jeff Garlin wasn't even involved!

Knowing that Samm Levine was seething with anger for taking so long get the game made it that much funnier.

Offline Jingus

« Reply #41 on: December 10, 2013, 12:20:13 AM »
Has anyone listened to Riki Lindhome's podcast, Making It, on the Nerdist site?  I've developed quite the crush on her recently, but haven't had the time to sit down and listen to a zillion hours of podcasts that mostly feature obscure comedians I've never heard of. 

Offline KingPK

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
    • Spinning In The Tray
« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2014, 04:01:55 PM »
The Andy Daly Podcast Pilot Project is a new one to look into, especially if you like Comedy Bang! Bang!

Offline The ghost of bps21

• Wade the Duck says: Your brush with Greatness is OVER!
« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2014, 04:09:57 PM »
I've been listening to how did this get made and james bonding while I play video games lately.

Offline Amy pats fan

• P dot Roy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • hashtag trashbag
« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2014, 11:34:19 AM »
I love How Did This Get Made

otth check out the ones for Congo and Street Fighter:  The Movie.  Epic.

• Poster of the Year
« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2014, 12:03:45 PM »
They're taping two episodes for some Hulk Hogan movies in a few days.

Offline The Real DXP

• daileyxplanet
    • TrevorTwitter
« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2014, 11:59:25 PM »
For those of you interested in Never Not Funny but turned off at the subscription model, it is now FREE via Earwolf. There is now a Player's Club for exclusive content. Just started listening and I am kind of in love?

Offline Amy pats fan

• P dot Roy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • hashtag trashbag
« Reply #47 on: February 21, 2014, 02:14:37 AM »
Pardo and Kevin Po-lak have both joined up with Earwolf.  I like both of their shows, but they run too long for my tastes.  Both are great, but they tend to ramble, and there are only so many hours in a day...

Online Youth N Asia

• Death Pool Winner
  • STRONG STYLE!
« Reply #48 on: February 21, 2014, 02:42:20 AM »
I enjoy How Did This Get Made, but it's only a new episode every two weeks.

About Last Night with Adam Ray and Brad Williams has been my favorite show lately. One of the few laugh out loud shows I listen to.

Chewin' It is hit and miss. It's pretty much Mac and Farva from Super Troopers just telling stories. When it's good it's very good, but when they have a bad guest or things just aren't working then it can be a chore to get through

Online brocklock

• brock lock
« Reply #49 on: February 21, 2014, 03:56:45 AM »
I'm starting to enjoy We Hate Movies more than How Did This Get Made. Minimum commercials and a new episodes every week. The four hosts aren't famous so they can dig deeper with their hate and it's hilarious. They tend to do more obscure movies and horror movies than HDTGM. And, you get some wrestling references and they already did No Holds Barred.

http://www.whmpodcast.com/

The six or so episodes where they rag on James Belushi and any episodes where they do a Wilford Brimley or Gary Busey movie are amazing.