Author Topic: Onward  (Read 118 times)

Description:

Online Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
Onward
« on: March 05, 2020, 06:34:08 AM »
Pixar's latest joint opens up tonight

I haven't heard much on the tracking on this but would not be surprised it is doesn't do too well.  Chris Pratt doesn't seem to be the draw people thought he was a few years ago and the main stuff I heard about this was how someone was suing them over the unicorn van, as they had done some artwork or something using the same design some time back.

The short before this film is actually set to be a Maggie Simpson animated short, which is an interesting choice.

I have talked with some folks about going to a showing of this later tonight so I may come back with thoughts later but figured I'd get a thread started for this film as even the worst of Pixar tends to be fun in some capacity.
[img width=800

Fan: WHY CAN REY BEAT BIG GUYS BUT NOT KIDMAN
Kevin Nash: Kidman wears a wife beater

Online Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
Re: Onward
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2020, 01:18:12 PM »
Just got out.  Probably more fun for kids.  It was alright but not their best.  The movie was fairly
ho-hum but really started picking up late in the third act when you knew it was about time to head home.  I guess ending strong lifts it up but I was hoping for more of what the ending was throughout.
[img width=800

Online Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2020, 10:36:27 AM »
Some dialogue online because this film was boasting an openly gay character but that aspect was being censored in the Russian release.

I totally missed this when I saw it and forgot til I saw an outrage article today.  I guess one small character had a line referencing their same sex partner so people are upset this isn’t enough.  As I mentioned, it didn’t even hit me when watching the movie so I didn’t think twice one way or the other.

More noticeable representation to me is one of the students at the main character’s school did have walking crutches, which you don’t see much in movies, let alone animated fare.

Another talking point I should have given heads up to people going, this is the first Pixar film with nothing during or after the credits.
[img width=800

Offline fazzle

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2020, 10:38:31 AM »
Some dialogue online because this film was boasting an openly gay character but that aspect was being censored in the Russian release.

I totally missed this when I saw it and forgot til I saw an outrage article today.  I guess one small character had a line referencing their same sex partner so people are upset this isn’t enough.  As I mentioned, it didn’t even hit me when watching the movie so I didn’t think twice one way or the other.

I had basically the same reaction.   As I was leaving the theater I thought "wait a second, wasn't there supposed to be a gay character in this movie?  Did I miss it?"

Online Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2020, 06:55:56 AM »
Disney made this available for renting on digital platforms today, two weeks from its original release.

It will be put on Disney + on April 3.
[img width=800