Author Topic: Best Podcasts out there  (Read 16408 times)

Description: What YOU should listen to at work

Offline CookieMueller

• Forever blowing bubbles
  • CXF Writer
Re: Best Podcasts out there
« Reply #150 on: February 06, 2018, 08:53:22 PM »
I've been listening to a lot of podcasts lately, while driving, at work, etc.

My faves are:
My Favorite Murder
The Purple Stuff Podcast
Raised By TV
Keep It!
What's the Tee with Rupaul
Something to Wrestle with Bruce Prichard

Offline KingPK

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
« Reply #151 on: June 26, 2018, 10:32:21 AM »
I've kind of rotated in a bunch of new (non-wrestling) podcasts:

- Dumb People Town: Basically Sklarbro County under a new name.  The Sklar Brothers and Dan Van Kirk joke about stupid things stupid people (usually localized around the Florida area) do. 

- History That Doesn't Suck/Tides of History/How It Began: I've been searching for a good history podcast that updates much more frequently than Hardcore History and these three are pretty good.  Tides and How it Began are roughly around the same era right now (17th - 18th Century Europe) and the other is on the American Revolution.

- Dreamgun Film Reads: This one is fucking hilarious.  Famous movie scripts are rewritten and comedians act them out without reading them first in front of a live audience.  I only got into this one over the weekend and I've devoured all 12 episodes they've done.

- Sports? with Katie Nolan: Pretty much the only sports podcast I listen to and it's mainly because roughly 30% of each episode is devoted to sports.  The rest discusses Katie's Fortnite addiction, making brackets of various pop culture subjects and making fun of producer Dopp.  Oh, and probably the best ad reads of any podcast I listen to.

Old standbys: We Hate Movies, Giant Bombcast, Giant Beastcast (I've liked the Beastcast much more lately and I skip through WHM episodes whose movies I'm not interested in)

Offline Mr. S£im Citrus

• Representing Blacks Without Soul since 1975
« Reply #152 on: June 26, 2018, 12:57:03 PM »
Got a ton of podcasts in heavy rotation, the only "mainstream" ones being The Right Time with Bomani Jones, the aforementioned Sports? with Katie Nolan, Cheap Heat and The Masked Man Show. I also listen to Three Guys On and Misandry with Marcia and Rae, which are ostensibly current events podcasts, hosted by comedians, the latter placing a heavy emphasis on topics that would generally be considered feminist (except that they don't really come out often enough to count as 'current': 3GO comes out weekly, and Misandry is more bi-monthly-ish).

Most of the rest of the podcasts I listen to tend to be of the "blackety-black" variety: The Black Guy Who Tips, The Interracial Jawn, most of the shows on the MTR Network, Black Astronauts, Where's My 40 Acres?, The Spann Report, Project Fandom... all shows that discuss current events, pop culture, TV, movies, music, sports, etc., but exclusively from the black perspective.

Also, since they don't talk current events (and are therefore not time-sensitive), I stockpile episodes of Jay and Miles X-Plain the X-Men and The Playable Characters Podcast, for when the other shows go on hiatus/holiday.

Offline Avid Warehouse Enthusiast

• Laz
« Reply #153 on: June 29, 2018, 01:03:06 PM »
Just got out of seeing Last Podcast on the Left live in Boston
 They did an entire section on the Montreal Screwjob, connected Casey Anthony and OJ Simpson to the Illuminati and MK Ultra, and went over the Pope Lick Monster.

Suffice it to say, it was incredible.

Offline Youth N Asia

• 2016 & 2017 Death Pool Reaper
  • STRONG STYLE!
« Reply #154 on: June 29, 2018, 04:15:30 PM »
I finally started listening to LPOTL. I’d tried a couple times in the past and just couldn’t get in to it. Finally made myself see an episode through and it just snowballed from there.

Offline KingPK

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
« Reply #155 on: September 29, 2019, 12:13:45 PM »
Added some new shows to the rotation:

These Are Their Stories: Discusses episodes of all the versions of Law and Order (mostly SVU and "original recipe") including the real-life cases they are based on with a comedic bent.

Our Fake History, The Constant: History podcasts that talk about weird moments in history (like the history of Madagascar and how Germany wanted it to be basically a dumping ground for Jews before they came up with the plan they carried out) or if mythical figures like King Arthur actually existed.  Really interesting stuff.

Seincast: A Seinfeld recap podcast.  They sometimes get into Comic Book Guy levels of detail of the episode, but it's still entertaining.

I'll check out Office Ladies when it debuts.  I've pretty much stopped listening to the Giant Bombcast and I'm even skipping through the Beastcast more; I can only listen to Dan Ryckert's "most aloof man in the world" gimmick so much.  Plus, their e-mail segment has devolved into shit like "If you had to choose between (stupid thing A) and (stupid thing B)" what would you do?"

Offline CookieMueller

• Forever blowing bubbles
  • CXF Writer
« Reply #156 on: October 02, 2019, 02:42:47 PM »
Does anyone listen to Doughboys? It's a podcast about chain restaurants, for anyone that hasn't heard of it. I enjoy it so much, it's the only Patreon I've ever joined, to get access to their bonus episodes.

Offline Youth N Asia

• STRONG STYLE!
« Reply #157 on: October 02, 2019, 04:04:18 PM »
I had to axe Talking Simpsons. Ever since Chris left the show Bob and Henry’s smugness has been running wild. I’ve been hate listening to it for some time now and I’m annoyed with myself for not doing this sooner.

My brother and I bought tickets for Last Podcast on the Left’s December live show in Detroit. No idea what to expect from it.

NOTE: in my previous post about trying to listen to LPOTL before and not getting in to it. That was actually night of the living podcast that I couldn’t like. I avoided Last Podcast for the longest time getting the shows confused.

• Laz
« Reply #158 on: October 03, 2019, 03:17:36 AM »
LPOTL live is one of the greatest live events I've ever been to. It's a smorgasbord of the recurring bits from their podcast, and you can see Marcus and Ben try not to laugh at Henry every few minutes.

Offline muzzington

« Reply #159 on: October 09, 2019, 06:54:35 PM »
Does anyone listen to Doughboys? It's a podcast about chain restaurants, for anyone that hasn't heard of it. I enjoy it so much, it's the only Patreon I've ever joined, to get access to their bonus episodes.

I started listening to it this year despite living in Australia and having hardly any chains. I should sign up to the Doughboys Doubles soon.

Just listening to the Quiznos episode with Hayley Joel Osment and he's been a terrific guest.

Offline Youth N Asia

• STRONG STYLE!
« Reply #160 on: December 06, 2019, 03:20:59 PM »
Saw Last Podcast on the Left tonight in Detroit. What a delight. Pretty much a 90 minute more rehearsed hodgepodge version of the show. But I was smiling from ear to ear all night and laughed my ass off more than a few times.

• Laz
« Reply #161 on: December 07, 2019, 04:27:00 AM »
YNA, did they end it with Marcus doing the "one for us, one for you" videos?

Offline Youth N Asia

• STRONG STYLE!
« Reply #162 on: December 07, 2019, 06:40:12 AM »
YNA, did they end it with Marcus doing the "one for us, one for you" videos?

Yeah. Graphic videos of
Someone squeezing some stuff out of an open wound on their breast
Laser surgery on someone’s private areas removing some weird gravel looking growth.
And maggots that had infested someone ear.

Vs videos of monkeys wearing clothes.

Offline KingPK

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
« Reply #163 on: January 03, 2020, 03:26:40 PM »
I stumbled onto a show called The Atomic Hobo.  I didn't know I needed a demure, soft-spoken Scottish woman talking about how governments planned to deal with millions of dead after an atomic attack in my life.

Offline Thrasher

• Owner of Too Many Jerseys
  • All hail Gritty!
    • Sport Finds Blog - My blog where I post the licensed gear I bought
« Reply #164 on: January 03, 2020, 04:30:05 PM »
We Hate Movies

My favorite podcast. They're so funny I'm thinking of subscribing to their Patreon.
Sport Finds Blog - My blog where I post the licensed gear I bought

http://sportsfinds.blogspot.com

Offline KingPK

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
« Reply #165 on: January 03, 2020, 04:43:12 PM »
We Hate Movies

My favorite podcast. They're so funny I'm thinking of subscribing to their Patreon.

Do it.  $8 for their top tier is a ridiculous value for how much stuff they put out.  I don't even listen to The Nexus because I don't care about Star Trek but everything else is good.

Offline Youth N Asia

• STRONG STYLE!
« Reply #166 on: January 04, 2020, 01:59:53 AM »
We Hate Movies

Do it.  $8 for their top tier is a ridiculous value for how much stuff they put out.  I don't even listen to The Nexus because I don't care about Star Trek but everything else is good.

Favorite podcast (that I think I found here). They get my $8 a month. You get so much extra content. I’m way way behind on Nexus. I’d usually just watch a YouTube recap or trailer of the episode to get the gist of it first, cause I’m not watching that stuff.

Anyone else listen to Why I Hate This Album? It’s become a top show of mine over the last year or so.

Offline Joyful & Soyful

• brock lock
« Reply #167 on: January 04, 2020, 06:09:31 AM »
It's been my favorite podcast since 2013 when I got tired of everyone's gimmick on How Did This Get Made. The four hosts have amazing chemistry, bring something different, and are all funny in their own way. I agree that their patreon is one of the best around and they produce so much content. I do miss when they would do more obscure movies that I never heard of like Kill Crazy, Free Enterprise, Hider In The House, and Baby Cakes, but I understand they are getting more popular and have to do movies that would bring in new listeners.

Offline Thrasher

• Owner of Too Many Jerseys
  • All hail Gritty!
    • Sport Finds Blog - My blog where I post the licensed gear I bought
« Reply #168 on: January 04, 2020, 01:07:43 PM »
In my iTunes feed, I have a whole bunch of their show and only started listening to those of the movies I watched. I'll get to the other ones later. The Space Cowboys and Batman (1989) are my favorite ones they've covered so far.
Sport Finds Blog - My blog where I post the licensed gear I bought

http://sportsfinds.blogspot.com

Offline Youth N Asia

• STRONG STYLE!
« Reply #169 on: January 04, 2020, 03:55:30 PM »
Batman 89 was one of my least favorites. Sometimes they will just fall in love with a bit and hammer it well past death.

My personal favorite episodes off the top of my head are

One Magic Christmas
Next of Kin
The New Adventures of Pippi Longstocking
Hard Target
Sabotage
Moonrtrap

If it’s a movie you’re not super familiar with just watch a trailer and maybe a couple YouTube clips.