Author Topic: Best Podcasts out there  (Read 16641 times)

Description: What YOU should listen to at work

Offline KingPK

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
Re: Best Podcasts out there
« Reply #50 on: February 21, 2014, 03:59:45 AM »
The Flop House beats them both, IMO.

Offline The Real DXP

• daileyxplanet
    • TrevorTwitter
« Reply #51 on: February 22, 2014, 04:19:15 PM »
Hey guys I hate to be a schmuck about this but I decided to create a podcasts theme T-shirt through teespring.com . If you're interested please check out the shirt.

http://teespring.com/iheadphonepodcasts

Offline Youth N Asia

• 2016 & 2017 Death Pool Reaper
  • STRONG STYLE!
« Reply #52 on: February 22, 2014, 04:24:47 PM »

Downloading three episodes now. I'll give one of them a go tomorrow at work

Offline KingPK

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
« Reply #53 on: March 02, 2014, 05:49:38 AM »
Oh my God the latest Andy Daly Podcast Pilot Project is glorious.  Paul F. Tompkins' Werner Herzog character is the best thing in the world.

Offline "Dot Com" Matt Postin (heel)

• Poster of the Year
« Reply #54 on: March 02, 2014, 06:12:20 AM »
Great run so far. I have to imagine that even a bad episode would be something worthwhile.

Offline Youth N Asia

• STRONG STYLE!
« Reply #55 on: March 02, 2014, 06:20:00 AM »

Update. Did not like it. Seems to be funny if you know the guys and are in the room with them. But as a listener I didn't find anything to amusing or funny. Listened to Saw III and The Purge.

I've thought about trying Andy Daley's show, but I've only seen him play an uptight overly white guy before. I know him as nothing else.

• Poster of the Year
« Reply #56 on: March 02, 2014, 06:22:03 AM »
That's the last thing any of his characters are. Most of them are either murderers and/or suicidal and/or Satanism enthusiasts

Offline Youth N Asia

• STRONG STYLE!
« Reply #57 on: March 02, 2014, 06:33:31 AM »
All I know him from is Mad TV, Semi Pro, and Eastbound and Down. I stand by my statement as I know him.

Offline Joyful & Soyful

• brock lock
« Reply #58 on: March 02, 2014, 07:08:43 AM »

Update. Did not like it. Seems to be funny if you know the guys and are in the room with them. But as a listener I didn't find anything to amusing or funny. Listened to Saw III and The Purge.

That's what I thought as well. I know they were first, but We Hate Movies and How Did This Get Made make me laugh a lot more. The hosts just come off as smarmy and aren't as likable as the other two groups.

Offline Jingus

« Reply #59 on: March 02, 2014, 11:33:41 PM »
I'm listening to one of We Hate Movies, and so far I'm not impressed.  It's their Congo episode, and the technical flubs are annoying right off the bat, they don't have pro-grade audio tools.  And they haven't done their homework, they clearly never read Crichton's book.  They're just saying Captain Obvious insults towards the movie.  This is barely a step above  kids ranting into their webcams.  How the hell does this make money?

Offline Joyful & Soyful

• brock lock
« Reply #60 on: March 03, 2014, 02:24:09 AM »
I'm listening to one of We Hate Movies, and so far I'm not impressed.  It's their Congo episode, and the technical flubs are annoying right off the bat, they don't have pro-grade audio tools.  And they haven't done their homework, they clearly never read Crichton's book.  They're just saying Captain Obvious insults towards the movie.  This is barely a step above  kids ranting into their webcams.  How the hell does this make money?

That's like the fifth episode of an extremely low budget podcast that has 148 episodes. They got the format down later on.

I never really notice audio problems on podcasts, but their live shows are unlistenable.

• Poster of the Year
« Reply #61 on: March 03, 2014, 09:36:51 AM »
A) doing a podcast doesn't mean you're obligated to read a book
B) doing a podcast doesn't make you a millionaire

Offline NoCalMike

• Welcome to Prime Time, bitch!
    • EVIL EPISODES PODCAST!
« Reply #62 on: March 03, 2014, 11:54:37 AM »
Making a "good" quality podcast doesn't cost a ton of money these days.  The expenses to host the show and website(optional) might add up if the show gains a good listener base but the idea that you need expensive audio equipment to make it sound decent is not true.  Most people I have guest hosted with are using usb headsets and their shows sound just fine.
Get your TV Horror Fix w/the Podcast EVIL EPISODES! Listen at:
http://www.legionpodcasts.com/
http://www.horrorphilia.com

Offline Jingus

« Reply #63 on: March 04, 2014, 05:26:10 PM »
I did my research whenever I was doing some lame wrestling podcast that practically nobody listened to.  If you're gonna speak even semi-professionally about a subject, you should know what you're talking about.  Hell, at times they're complaining about things which even the movie clearly explained.  And the audio on that show was indeed at the same quality level as my aforementioned lame wrestling podcasts which we did on Skype and with me using an ancient ten-dollar microphone, which still sounded better than that if one of my teammates did some editing and sweetening work on the track afterwards.  I'm glad that those guys apparently got better with time, cuz they needed to. 

Offline rollie

• ulfistgut
« Reply #64 on: March 04, 2014, 10:53:17 PM »
Oh my God the latest Andy Daly Podcast Pilot Project is glorious.  Paul F. Tompkins' Werner Herzog character is the best thing in the world.

Yeah if you're a CBB fan and not listening to that, rectify sharpish. The latest one is just glorious with Daly, Tompkins, Matt Besser and a couple of others.  Latest CBB with Daly is bonkers too, interested to see if they do plan on doing a second part (where surely Daly will have to flip between multiple characters very rapidly)

Offline The Real DXP

• daileyxplanet
    • TrevorTwitter
« Reply #65 on: March 04, 2014, 11:59:29 PM »
I did my research whenever I was doing some lame wrestling podcast that practically nobody listened to.  If you're gonna speak even semi-professionally about a subject, you should know what you're talking about.  Hell, at times they're complaining about things which even the movie clearly explained.  And the audio on that show was indeed at the same quality level as my aforementioned lame wrestling podcasts which we did on Skype and with me using an ancient ten-dollar microphone, which still sounded better than that if one of my teammates did some editing and sweetening work on the track afterwards.  I'm glad that those guys apparently got better with time, cuz they needed to.

It truly depends on the topic and focus of the show. How Did This Get Made is one that makes perfect sense not to know the subject too intimately because the average movie goer does little to no research. 

However, if a podcast like Retronauts doesn't know its subject it is much more egregious and would be awful.

• Poster of the Year
« Reply #66 on: March 06, 2014, 02:35:26 PM »
http://www.avclub.com/article/andy-daly-found-his-perfect-tv-show-then-had-wait--201855

Andy Daly reveals that the Andy Daly Podcast Pilot Project will only run eight episodes.

Offline Youth N Asia

• STRONG STYLE!
« Reply #67 on: March 06, 2014, 02:57:31 PM »
http://www.avclub.com/article/andy-daly-found-his-perfect-tv-show-then-had-wait--201855

Andy Daly reveals that the Andy Daly Podcast Pilot Project will only run eight episodes.

Well that feels pointless now. The first episode was amazing. 2 and 3 were hit and miss.

Offline rollie

• ulfistgut
« Reply #68 on: March 06, 2014, 09:37:03 PM »
Eh I kinda assumed it'd be a limited run (perhaps they said that in the pilot bit they dropped, can't remember), I don't think he could do too many episodes with the same characters without the jokes running thin and having to come up with a new character every week is a bit much.
Still it's 15ish hours extra free comedy to listen to.  I quite enjoyed 2 as well (yeah 3 was a bit meh) - and again I heartily recommend 4.   Plus 5 is Don Dimello and Marrisa Wompler (plus Jason Mantzoukas which sounds like it could be rather good)

Offline Youth N Asia

• STRONG STYLE!
« Reply #69 on: March 16, 2014, 03:11:43 PM »
I've been listening to Fatman on Batman from the beginning. I'm probably 16 episodes in. I like it a lot, but have some complaints.

I get that Smith is a smoker, but in the second episode with Walt, you can hear his lighter strike just about every five minutes. It's very distracting, especially when a coughing fit follows things up.

There was also an episode where he was talking about The Dark Knight Rises, and it's said from the beginning that it's going to be a spoiler podcast. And every time he's about to talk about something else in the movie he keeps blurting out that it's a spoiler. Then after a while takes the angry stance of "Fuck you if you're mad about spoilers. You should have known by now what this episode is." ...I think the only thing anyone's mad about is hearing his yell out spoiler every few minutes and getting mad about people that aren't even in the conversation with him.

Otherwise I'm really liking the show thus far.

I'm still liking Andy Daly's show. But seemingly every time a woman appears the show just gets worse.

Offline KingPK

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
« Reply #70 on: March 16, 2014, 03:37:44 PM »
The latest one starts well, but it kind of loses steam pretty quickly with the Paula Dean parody.

Offline NoCalMike

• EVIL EPISODES PODCAST!
« Reply #71 on: March 16, 2014, 06:18:36 PM »
Chewin' It with 2 of the Broken Lizard guys is pretty fun.  Their episode with Bill Paxton as the guest was a 2 part episode of epicness!

Offline Youth N Asia

• STRONG STYLE!
« Reply #72 on: March 17, 2014, 01:43:34 AM »
Chewin' It with 2 of the Broken Lizard guys is pretty fun.  Their episode with Bill Paxton as the guest was a 2 part episode of epicness!

It's hit and miss. The episode where Lemme is going over his high school life is great. The Dean Weary bits are great.

Offline Joyful & Soyful

• brock lock
« Reply #73 on: March 25, 2014, 03:23:37 AM »
The No Holds Barred episode of How Did This Get Made is up. Thomas Lennon's Kurt Fuller impression is amazing as is his Hulk.

Best episode in a while, maybe since Halloween III.

Offline KingPK

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
« Reply #74 on: March 26, 2014, 08:48:18 AM »
The No Holds Barred episode of How Did This Get Made is up. Thomas Lennon's Kurt Fuller impression is amazing as is his Hulk.

Best episode in a while, maybe since Halloween III.

After this and OSW Review's video, I might finally have to see this movie.

Offline KingPK

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
« Reply #75 on: April 03, 2014, 10:06:25 AM »
The finale of Andy Daly's podcast is one of the best.  Scott Aukerman's attempt at an Irish accent is magical.

Edit: Oh wow, the second half with the Irishmen and limerick contest propels it to the best of the series.

Offline Youth N Asia

• STRONG STYLE!
« Reply #76 on: April 03, 2014, 12:33:23 PM »
The finale of Andy Daly's podcast is one of the best.  Scott Aukerman's attempt at an Irish accent is magical.

Edit: Oh wow, the second half with the Irishmen and limerick contest propels it to the best of the series.

Agreed. Strong episode to end on, especially after two bad ones. He kept saying "season finale." Wonder if it'll come back after some time off

"Product placement in your fooking limerick!"

Offline Youth N Asia

• STRONG STYLE!
« Reply #77 on: May 02, 2014, 04:10:46 AM »
Listened to four or so episodes of We Hate Movies. Liking it a lot. Only downside is I haven't seen too many of the movies that are being talked about

Offline KingPK

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
« Reply #78 on: May 03, 2014, 01:50:39 PM »
I also checked out We Hate Movies.  The Blame it on Rio episode is fucking tremendous if only for the Michael Caine as Lorraine Brocco in Goodfellas impression.

• Poster of the Year
« Reply #79 on: May 03, 2014, 02:11:33 PM »
We Hate Movies has quickly become my new favorite podcast thanks to this thread. I'm also really into You Talkin' U2 To Me?!, the encyclopedic and comprehensive podcast about U2 from Adam Scott Aukerman.

Offline Youth N Asia

• STRONG STYLE!
« Reply #80 on: May 03, 2014, 03:25:43 PM »
I tried listening to U2. I was bored instantly.

But yeah, We Hate Movies is becoming a fast favorite. Listening to the Godzilla episode and it's great. It segways into an ID4 sequel with Jaden Smith as Lil' General. I laughed out loud at those bits.

• Poster of the Year
« Reply #81 on: May 04, 2014, 02:12:08 AM »
The thing with You Talkin' U2 to Me is that after the first episode, it completely goes off the rails. I won't even try to recommend it. It's just the most insane thing on Earwolf.

Offline KingPK

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
« Reply #82 on: May 11, 2014, 12:56:50 PM »
Bumping the We Hate Movies thread to point out (unless I'm dumb and it's been this way for a while) that they have all of their episodes available on their site now.  My podcast app only went back to #101 so this is great news.

Offline BorneAgain

• One Cocky Cracka
« Reply #83 on: August 20, 2014, 08:50:05 AM »
Bumping to say that the Hardcore History show I mentioned upthread is in the midst of a great series on WWI called Blue for Armageddon. If you have even a slight interest in the period, the episodes are worth a listen.

Offline NoCalMike

• EVIL EPISODES PODCAST!
« Reply #84 on: September 11, 2014, 04:06:03 PM »
Just found out this exists.  Needless to say.  YUUUUUUUUUUUUSSSSSSSSSS!

http://podcastone.com/Bret-Easton-Ellis-Podcast

Offline Joyful & Soyful

• brock lock
« Reply #85 on: September 11, 2014, 04:13:04 PM »
I'll take a pass on that.  ;)

Offline NoCalMike

• EVIL EPISODES PODCAST!
« Reply #86 on: September 12, 2014, 12:10:25 PM »
Your loss. ;)

Offline Bored

• Boreding Hard
« Reply #87 on: September 13, 2014, 07:03:53 AM »
The thing with You Talkin' U2 to Me is that after the first episode, it completely goes off the rails. I won't even try to recommend it. It's just the most insane thing on Earwolf.

Hey, you poppin' my stones?

With the new album out can't wait for the (assumed) finale! Hopefully we get some t-shirts and college girls in it.

EDIT: FUCK YEAH IT'S ALREADY OUT

Offline KingPK

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
« Reply #88 on: September 13, 2014, 12:23:04 PM »
Dan Van Kirk can do his Mark Wahlberg character on every single podcast I listen to until the end of time and I would be perfectly fine with that.

• Poster of the Year
« Reply #89 on: September 14, 2014, 12:48:57 PM »

Hey, you poppin' my stones?

With the new album out can't wait for the (assumed) finale! Hopefully we get some t-shirts and college girls in it.

EDIT: FUCK YEAH IT'S ALREADY OUT

IT'S BEEN A WHILE since they had their last episode. I laughed so hard when I downloaded it and saw how long it was.

Offline Bored

• Boreding Hard
« Reply #90 on: September 18, 2014, 12:56:42 PM »
Great ep, I give it a C+.

• Poster of the Year
« Reply #91 on: September 18, 2014, 01:40:02 PM »
Shut up. Shut the fuck up.

Offline pujoljunkie

• Old Navy / Diet Snapple Publishing Group
  • CXF Writer
  • PujolJunkie
« Reply #92 on: October 22, 2014, 07:29:14 PM »
Is anyone else listening to Serial? This shit is as good as it gets.

Offline KingPK

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
« Reply #93 on: October 23, 2014, 06:08:25 AM »
I think we had a wrestling podcast thread but I don't want to dig for it so I'll just say the New Generation Project is another great entry in the "UK guys talking old WWF PPVs" genre along with OSW Review and The Attitude Era Podcast.

• Poster of the Year
« Reply #94 on: October 23, 2014, 11:48:26 AM »
Great ep, I give it a C+.

Two Questions: How about that physical release? What's your fuck style?

Offline Mr. S£im Citrus

• Representing Blacks Without Soul since 1975
« Reply #95 on: October 23, 2014, 01:42:06 PM »
What would be a good sports podcast for someone who isn't hardcore about any sport, except basketball?

As a means of context, my idea of a perfect "sports" podcast would be somewhere between The Tony Kornheiser Show, and His and Hers, only with less talk about football.

Offline Springtime for Epic

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #96 on: October 23, 2014, 01:52:37 PM »

Offline alkeiper

• Welcoming our new insect overlords
« Reply #97 on: October 23, 2014, 02:08:08 PM »
I'm enjoying Aisha Tyler's "Girl On Guy" podcast. Gets her sponsorships out of the way and just chats with her guest for an hour plus. Latest episode had Kristen Schaal. Currently enjoying a past episode with Ryan Stiles.

Offline Mr. S£im Citrus

« Reply #98 on: October 24, 2014, 02:43:34 AM »
Say no more: http://podcastone.com/shortcorner?showAllEpisodes=true

Now that's what I'm talkin' about; good lookin' out!

I decided to go back and start from the beginning... I was hooked when Paul Shirley, out of nowhere, just decides to say, "I think, generally, David Stern is a shitty human being," as nonchalantly as if he were talking about the merits of the chest pass. I just started listening to the second episode, and Halpern's theory for what really happened in Eagle, CO is amazing.

Offline Mr. S£im Citrus

« Reply #99 on: October 25, 2014, 09:14:35 AM »
This cat Paul Shirley is a trip; he throws shade at EVERY-fucking-body!