Author Topic: The Minor League Sports Bullshit and Miscellania thread  (Read 9921 times)

Description:

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
Re: The Minor League Sports Bullshit and Miscellania thread
« Reply #100 on: August 18, 2018, 01:53:08 PM »
Went to a good amount of PawSox games as a kid with lots of family in Rhode Island.  Used to love the portraits of the former players walking in.

Also from earlier in the thread, Kamala and the girlfriend revelation explains why we never talk anymore  :'(
[img width=800

Fan: WHY CAN REY BEAT BIG GUYS BUT NOT KIDMAN
Kevin Nash: Kidman wears a wife beater

Offline Love Harnesser Kamala

• CXF Writer
« Reply #101 on: August 25, 2018, 01:42:58 AM »
End of an era in Pawtucket. The PawSox are moving to Worcester after the 2020 season. Essentially because the state of Massachusetts would give them money and Rhode Island wouldn’t.
PawSox moving to Worcester is a capital B BAD idea. IMO, there's no way that they'll be able to fill up a 12,000 seat stadium on a regular basis there when Fenway is less than 45 minutes away. Plus the proposed stadium (Polar Park! Only upside is  it'll be only park where you can get fresh seltzer on tap!) is in Kelley Square, which is one of the most hellacious intersections I've ever seen. Can't imagine this working well. I feel like Lucchino and co. are gonna regret this move quickly.

I have a bunch of friends in Worcester and their collective reaction is "Huh?". Not a bunch of excitement. Except for possibility that Ric Flair will show up for the inaugural WooSox game.

• CXF Writer
« Reply #102 on: August 28, 2018, 02:15:33 PM »
Went to my last Sea Dogs game of the year. They lost 8-4. Seems like most of the games I've been to this year have been them losing by four runs.  New Hampshire Fisher Cats have both Craig Biggio and Dante Bichette's kid playing for them. Bo Bichette definitely seems like a potential stud. Went 3 for 5 with two doubles and a homer. Fisher Cat Jon Berti also hit for the cycle. I think that's first time I've seen someone hit for the cycle. Cool stuff.

Offline alkeiper

• Welcoming our new insect overlords
« Reply #103 on: September 16, 2018, 11:32:41 AM »
The Durham Bulls were forced to play the entire Governors Cup finals (International League championship) in scranton. I went to games one and five, got to see the Bulls celebrate. Great accomplishment for them, and I never want to hear minor league fans bitch about playoff home field again.

I’ve been out of my groove the last few years, but this year I managed to hit Citizens Bank Park and also visit the Lehigh Valley Ironpigs, Reading Fightin’ Phils, Clearwater Threshers, Lakewood Blueclaws and Williamsport Crosscutters. All five Phillies affiliates and the big club. Also got to the Futures Game, a Tampa Bay Rays game and several Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Railriders game. Good baseball summer.

The affiliation shuffle commences soon. Fresno and the Astros are not renewing. It seems likely the Astros will land with San Antonio’s new AAA team. If the Rangers and Round Rock renew that leaves Fresno, Las Vegas and Nashville to sort out the Nationals, Athletics and Brewers.

Offline alkeiper

« Reply #104 on: September 17, 2018, 06:43:05 AM »
The Las Vegas 51s become the new affiliate of the Oakland A's. Hearing the Astros are actually heading to Round Rock. Assumption is San Antonio becomes a Rangers affiliate.

Offline alkeiper

« Reply #105 on: September 18, 2018, 09:14:55 AM »
San Antonio remains with the Brewers (San Antonio moved from Colorado Springs, the Brewers’ previous affiliation. The Rangers sign an agreement with Nashville. That leaves the Nationals stuck with their AAA team in Fresno, California.

• CXF Writer
« Reply #106 on: May 15, 2019, 05:57:48 AM »

I guess this is one way to try and get fans to your minor league team's lame duck last season..

Offline alkeiper

« Reply #107 on: May 15, 2019, 06:20:06 AM »
It's a collegiate summer baseball league. That's not entirely inaccurate.

Offline Mr. S£im Citrus

• Representing Blacks Without Soul since 1975
« Reply #108 on: May 26, 2019, 04:07:13 AM »
Just finished watching the first half of the women's college lacrosse NC final and, man, it is such a mindfuck to listen to Stugotz actually speak knowledgeably about a sport, instead of spitting refried hot takes.

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #109 on: May 26, 2019, 04:11:54 AM »
In going down the rabbit hole of those Funko Pops, I found out that the Mariners minor league team the Everett AquaSox have their stadium sponsered by Funko and do several Pop Giveaways.

This August they are doing a special commerative Jay Buhner Aqua Sox Funko Pop and I feel like I need to take a trip to Everett, Washington.

[img width=800

Fan: WHY CAN REY BEAT BIG GUYS BUT NOT KIDMAN
Kevin Nash: Kidman wears a wife beater