Author Topic: Liddell and Retirement  (Read 1850 times)

Description:

Offline Just Call Me Dan

Liddell and Retirement
« on: May 12, 2009, 09:53:17 AM »
Is the guy a mythical figure in MMA today?  We know the answer to that.

Everytime he gets popped with a nice shot, he crumbles.  Up until that point he still looks so dangerous.

Wash the Jardine loss, that could have gone either way and was just a bad fight.  So Rampage, Rashad, and an impressive looking Shogun wiped him out.

Those are top 10 LHW opponents.

I don't want the guy to fight cans.  I just think he can still beat some top competition.  He's been relegated to almost gatekeeper status if he stays.  I want to see it.  To me, the knockouts are getting gratuitous for a lot of guys.  You saw Wandy.  You've seen Jardine (several times).  Even Forrest, Mir, and recently Arlovski and Sylvia crumble after a good shot.  Are these guys supposed to hang it up because a solid shot puts them down?

Chuck's probably at the point where opponents will underestimate him.  Main event status is gone. (Unless you look at his name on the card and the $ it draws; I'm talking merely spot on the card according to his record lately.)

Dana says he can't fight.  His trainer says he has plenty left.

I can see both sides.  I can also see Chuck upsetting quite a few people and re-matches of his recent losses going the other way.

I want to see the guy hang in there.  Anyone else?  With the belt out of the picture, do you still get hyped for a fight with Chuck in it?

Offline EHME

• I'm trying to win coach. I ain't trying to disrespect nobody, but winning is the only thing I respect.
Lidell and Retirement
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 10:00:29 AM »
I'm sorry, but I hate to be a spelling/grammar nazi, but it always bugs me when people spell Chuck Liddell's last name with only one D.

Offline Just Call Me Dan

Lidell and Retirement
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 10:01:22 AM »
Bah, I hate that too.  Thanks, actually. 

Offline Lord of The Curry

Liddell and Retirement
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 10:19:57 AM »
Also, the Jardine fight couldn't have gone either way. The fact that it was scored a split for Chuck was a travesty in itself. Jardine tooled him.

Offline Just Call Me Dan

Liddell and Retirement
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009, 11:49:03 AM »
I guess I'm one of the believers that Chuck just didn't show up for that fight.  Jardine did win, straight up.  A rematch, I don't know.

Online ViciousFish

• CXF Writer
Liddell and Retirement
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2009, 11:58:42 AM »
Or Chuck never evolved and Greg Jackson came up with a game plan to pick him apart.
Matt, don't be a fag. Post some huge cocks.

Offline HTQ

Liddell and Retirement
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2009, 12:00:48 PM »
Chuck can no longer take the kinds of shots that he used to be able to walk through. This is a problem that is exasperated by the fact that his style, which he seems unable to unwilling to adapt to a meaningful degree, means he's highly prone to getting hit with those kinds of shots. Plus, when you've been knocked out once, you become more susceptible to a second knock out, and those chances increase with each knock out after that. Chuck's style means he's opening himself up to the kind of potential brain injuries that can cause serious problems down the line. And he doesn't need to do that. He doesn't need the money. He'll always have a job with UFC as an ambassador. He has nothing left to prove; he's done everything someone in his position can do. Chuck can, and should, retire, happy in the knowledge that he's had the kind of career that few will ever have, and he's able to walk away while taking as little damage as someone at his level can expect to.

Offline Lei Tong

• ...un pocho pendejo, at that!
Liddell and Retirement
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2009, 12:32:28 PM »
I think it's too much to expect Liddell to go through a radical style change this late in his career, and the sad fact is that he's imply getting old, and his body is betraying him. His footwork has gotten painfully slow, he doesn't have the reaction time to avoid or counter shots like he once did, and as HTQ mentioned, his chin has been cracked. I have little desire to see him fight anymore when the odds are that's he only going to degrade even further as a fighter.

Offline Rendclaw

• Frankly my dear... eh, you know the rest.
Liddell and Retirement
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2009, 09:57:04 PM »
Tong and HTQ are right on the money. Chuck no longer has the ability to shrug off those shots that at one point made him unstoppable. I was calling for his retirement after Rashad put him to sleep in grandiose fashion, and even though Dana did the right thing in shutting him down in the UFC, what are the odds that after a year Chuck is going to go fight somewhere else, because like all the greats who are way past their prime and are declining at a rapid rate, he doesn't know when its truly over?

I just wish he had changed up his fighting style and not left his head so exposed. I think that arrogance contributed to his rapid decline more than anything.

Offline Lord of The Curry

Liddell and Retirement
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2009, 02:05:44 AM »
Chuck in 2003: "I'm planning on knocking him out. If I get taken down, I'll get back up. It's gonna be a knockout."

Chuck in 2009: See above.

Offline Lei Tong

• ...un pocho pendejo, at that!
Liddell and Retirement
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2009, 02:18:12 AM »
Well what else is he supposed to do? Turn into a ground & pounder?

Offline snuffbox

• CXF Writer
Liddell and Retirement
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2009, 04:21:36 AM »
He's already punchy.

Offline NoCalMike

• Welcome to Prime Time, bitch!
    • EVIL EPISODES PODCAST!
Liddell and Retirement
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2009, 01:18:28 AM »
Chuck would probably still draw because it still seems that a majority of UFC fans are really only interested in the "KO OR BE KO'D" type of fights.

Seriously, I get a good laugh at some of these live event crowds that are hootin' and hollering over two guys that look like 3rd-rate club level boxers out there, acting as if they are competing in the quarter-finals of a toughman competition, yet a fight that features a wrestler vs. BJJ is watched in almost complete silence, sometimes even drawing boos.

As long as the mainstream UFC fan remains this ignorant about the sport, there will always be a place for Liddell on the main card, whether he ever gets back to being a top level fighter or not.
Get your TV Horror Fix w/the Podcast EVIL EPISODES! Listen at:
http://www.legionpodcasts.com/
http://www.horrorphilia.com

Offline Youth N Asia

• 2016 & 2017 Death Pool Reaper
  • STRONG STYLE!
Liddell and Retirement
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2009, 04:17:09 AM »
Seriously, I get a good laugh at some of these live event crowds that are hootin' and hollering over two guys that look like 3rd-rate club level boxers out there, acting as if they are competing in the quarter-finals of a toughman competition, yet a fight that features a wrestler vs. BJJ is watched in almost complete silence, sometimes even drawing boos.

Offline Tigger

• Dressup
Liddell and Retirement
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2009, 12:12:03 PM »
When fighters are going punch for punch it's exciting because either one could get knocked out at any moment. In a more technical fight you (usually) see a submission coming, and although there's the "Can he get it locked in?" drama, it's just not edge of your seat exciting. That's why people get loud during the times when fighters are swinging for the fences, especially when it's a split crowd.