Author Topic: ROBOCOP (2014)  (Read 4800 times)

Description:

Online Epic Reine

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
Re: Dead or alive, you're [rebooting another classic]
« Reply #50 on: August 25, 2012, 04:13:15 AM »
Yeah, now they're trying to get Clive Owen to replace him.

Online Epic Reine

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #51 on: August 29, 2012, 10:58:54 AM »
With Laurie out as Robocop's villain, his replacement is...

Spoiler: show
Michael Keaton

Offline Detective Ventriloquist

• My name's not fucking Warren
  • Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #52 on: August 29, 2012, 11:40:24 AM »
I love that replacement. He's one of my favorite actors. I think he's going to make a good villain.
2012 TRTSM Fantasy Hockey Champion

Offline Avid Warehouse Enthusiast

• Laz
« Reply #53 on: August 30, 2012, 02:20:09 AM »
RoboCop vs. Batman, eh? I like this.

...wait...

RoboCop vs. Jack Frost. This might turn ugly.
Maybe the real deep state was the friends we made along the way.

Offline Amy pats fan

• P dot Roy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • hashtag trashbag
« Reply #54 on: August 30, 2012, 03:29:44 AM »
p sure I haven't seen him in anything since Jackie Brown/Out of Sight

• Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #55 on: August 30, 2012, 03:45:33 AM »
He was in
The Other Guys.

• Laz
« Reply #56 on: August 30, 2012, 04:24:29 AM »
He was also the best part of that movie.

Offline CletusVanDamme

• BlackFlagg

• KOAB
« Reply #58 on: September 15, 2012, 02:39:43 PM »
it's RoboBatman

Offline Jingus

« Reply #59 on: September 15, 2012, 03:01:24 PM »
So this time they didn't lose the arm? 

Offline Anakin Flair

• Suplex City, Bitch!
« Reply #60 on: September 15, 2012, 03:31:46 PM »
The only thing about that I really don't like is the fact he still has a real hand. Otherwise, it does look like they stole a Nolan Batsuit, but I can live with that.

Offline Conspiracy_Victim

• MY WHOLE BRAIN IS CRYING!
« Reply #61 on: September 16, 2012, 07:59:26 AM »
The only thing about that I really don't like is the fact he still has a real hand. Otherwise, it does look like they stole a Nolan Batsuit, but I can live with that.

Probably going to CG replace it with a cannon.  Or, in keeping with the rest of the outfit, some sort of Bat-utility item.

Offline SBofn

• Shelton Benjamin outta fuckin' nowhere!
« Reply #62 on: September 16, 2012, 09:56:34 AM »
I'm not thrilled about the jet black color.  Is there something about black coloring that makes CGI easier?
Of course cage matches work.  If they didn't work, everybody would still be in the cage.

--Michael Scott

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
  • Laugh This Off... Puddin!
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #63 on: September 17, 2012, 08:29:08 AM »
Not too thrilled with the costume choice/black coloring either.  Seeing a suit like that doesn't scream RoboCop so much as a guy who has ties to the latest military technology ala Bruce Wayne/Batman.

The only other thing I can think is that it's the "normal" police getup given the 2029 year.

• KOAB
« Reply #64 on: September 17, 2012, 08:32:46 AM »
It really does look like something a Batman villain would create to defeat him. Like an army of those things against Batman and Robin in a remake of the shitty Schumaker version.

Offline Jingus

« Reply #65 on: September 17, 2012, 11:54:52 AM »
Is it just me, or does he look like he stepped right out of some forgotten installment of Metal Gear Solid? 

Offline Venkman

• Dr Venkman PhD
  • You don't know me and you don't have to know me
« Reply #66 on: September 17, 2012, 12:13:23 PM »
Is that RoboCop or Cable from Prime Directives?

Is it just me, or does he look like he stepped right out of some forgotten installment of Metal Gear Solid? 

I was trying to think why - besides the Nolan Batman - that suite looked so familiar.

Offline no fact, no matter

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #67 on: September 18, 2012, 02:46:57 AM »
Original version of that on-set photo:

Looks kinda like Cmdr Sheppard..

You should probably put your bandit hat on now.

Offline Venkman

• Dr Venkman PhD
« Reply #68 on: September 18, 2012, 02:51:05 AM »

I guess KITT was a Transformer this whole time, and now he's become RoboCop.

Offline "Dot Com" Matt Postin (heel)

• Poster of the Year
« Reply #69 on: September 18, 2012, 11:17:01 PM »

Offline Phenomena

• Jennifer Has A Few Million Close Friends. She's Going To Need Them All.
  • CXF Writer
  • Gary
« Reply #70 on: October 16, 2012, 02:32:52 AM »
They pushed the release date back to Feb. 7th, 2014

I AM THE CHEESE! I AM THE BEST CHARACTER ON THE SHOW!! I AM BETTER THAN BOTH THE SALAMI AND THE BOLOGNA COMBINED!!

people will tell me shit like "oh you cant say kofi annan was no fap. no evidence" and i say, how dare you sully a mans grave, with politics

• Laz
« Reply #71 on: July 25, 2013, 01:14:09 PM »
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/07/25/the-philosophy-of-the-new-robocop
We’ve already reported on the RoboCop panel that took place at Comic-Con last week, but the film’s press conference was interesting too, with director Jose Padilha discussing the film’s philosophical themes and suggesting that the film will be more than just a sci-fi action flick. Here's what he had to say on the subject:

“The original RoboCop was very ironic and very violent and it was a critique of fascism, at least in the way I saw it. But it was also very smart, and dealt with concepts not everyone caught onto, but they were there. The relationship between fascism and robotics, for example: it’s very clear it’s going to become more important as time goes by.

"If you think about the war in Vietnam, or the war in Iraq even, the war in Vietnam ended because American soldiers were dying. It’s the same thing that’s happening in Iraq – we’ve got to get out of there, right? Now if you picture the same war with robots – autonomous robots instead of soldiers – then you don’t have the political pressure at home. So there is a relationship between being able to use robots for war and fascism. The issue is already being posed by the ability to use drones.

“The other part of it is about what it feels like to be a robot as opposed to being a human. Say you have footage of the Hiroshima bomb exploding, and then you play the footage backwards. So the bomb goes up into the plane, the plane flies back. At the end of this you are going to end up at Harry Truman’s table, and he makes the call to drop the bomb. Because Harry Truman is a man, he has free will and he can make choices. We can argue about whether he made the right choice or not. Same thing goes for a criminal. If a criminal shoots someone in the street, we say this is a man, he knows what he’s doing, he takes someone’s life, and we can argue about whether he’s right or wrong. Now once you replace men with autonomous robots, accountability goes out the window. Say you have a robot in the Amazon forest hunting drug-runners, and the robot is there and nobody can see what it’s doing and it goes to shoot the drug dealers and it kills a kid. Now who is responsible for that? This is a huge philosophical issue that’s going to be debated and in the media more and more as robots evolve."

It's interesting stuff from the director, suggesting the new RoboCop won't just be dumb fun (though he did add with a laugh: “It also has gun-fights!”) It wasn't all serious, though - the cast exchanged funny stories about the shoot. We learned that Star Joel Kinnaman – who plays Alex Murphy/RoboCop – loved the first movie so much so that he watched it 25 or 30 times and was practicing his robo-walk long before he got the part. He checked out 30 minutes into RoboCop 2 and didn’t see third film or TV series. Samuel L. Jackson, meanwhile, was excited by the prospect of appearing in a modern-day RoboCop because of advancements in CGI and robotics.

The remake will spend more time with Alex Murphy when he’s at work as an undercover cop and when he’s at home with his family. Jose jokingly said he missed the drug dealers and corrupt cops that he came into contact with while working on the Elite Squad movies in Brazil. Joel most enjoyed shooting the sequence in which Alex wakes up for the first time and experiences the disbelief of his new reality – a scene in which he works closely with Gary Oldman.

Former Batman Michael Keaton had no sympathy for Kinnaman in the air-conditioned RoboCop suit, claiming “I was the pioneer of bad suits.” The next film will address the question of whether RoboCop is now a property: is he owned by OmniCorp? The remake won’t feature the classic line “Your move, creep”, but does retain a couple of lines from the original.

And finally, Jose doesn’t know what the film’s certificate will be, as that decision is down to the MPAA. But he said he is making it for the largest audience possible, which is PG-13. He explained “This whole idea that RoboCop has to be R rated because the original was amazingly violent and R rated [is something] I never really bought into. Dark Knight was PG-13, so you can get away with a lot.”

RoboCop hits screens in early 2014.
The original was one of the reasons that the NC-17 rating was devised. Hell, it was basically THE reason, as its original cut received an X rating due to the graphic violence throughout. The story is ultraviolent as a commentary on violence in media (hammered home during the MediaBreak segments that show horrible violence as if it were nothing, a Paul Verhoeven staple), not just to be "cool" or "different," and aiming to make this a family-friendly action flick will defeat one of the ENTIRE FUCKING PURPOSES of the original.

Also, I like how Padilha is trying to make it seem like he's asking questions the original didn't when the original asked all of those questions in the first, oh, 20 minutes or so? Seriously. "The new one will question if RoboCop is the property of OmniCorp" was ANSWERED in the first one. And the second one. And the third one. And the TV show.

I wonder if he'll have the balls to make RoboCop a Christ-like figure as Verhoeven did, or if he even realizes that aspect of the original even exists.

Hey, kids, look: another remake that misses the point. Surprised?

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
  • Laugh This Off... Puddin!
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #72 on: July 26, 2013, 02:36:48 AM »
The original was one of the reasons that the NC-17 rating was devised. Hell, it was basically THE reason, as its original cut received an X rating due to the graphic violence throughout. The story is ultraviolent as a commentary on violence in media (hammered home during the MediaBreak segments that show horrible violence as if it were nothing, a Paul Verhoeven staple), not just to be "cool" or "different," and aiming to make this a family-friendly action flick will defeat one of the ENTIRE FUCKING PURPOSES of the original.

To be fair... isn't one of the goals (loosely stated) of good remakes to represent the 'modern day' that it is being remade for?  I'd rather they emphasize the robotics/human element much more since we already got a film about the violence.  Just remaking it and doing the violence all over again as a representation of the violence in media is EXACTLY what would make this a stupid, pointless remake because IT WAS ALREADY DONE.  Also PG-13 doesn't necessarily mean 'family friendly' (The Dark Knight as much as it gets riffed for being PG-13 wasn't exactly family friendly)... it just won't be graphically gory for the sake of it.

It does sound like he is trying to move into more of a human aspect with background of Murphy and his job/family as opposed to the memories/cut scenes in the original.

Offline NoCalMike

• Welcome to Prime Time, bitch!
    • EVIL EPISODES PODCAST!
« Reply #73 on: July 26, 2013, 02:55:28 AM »
Random explosions though is rather boring to me and that is where it seems most modern action films are going, the generic 'splosions = big action popcorn flick.

Comic book movies to me get a pass being PG-13 because well comic books are for kids or at least are kid-friendly for the most part when it comes to super-hero material. So the movies often reflect that type of tone in their action.

When it comes to stuff like Terminator or Robocop, I don't want a homginized product that passes the "is this ok for a 13 year old? test"  Let them go watch Thor or another fantasy movie, and leave my graphic action flicks alone. 

Tired of the lame excuses and extensive "explaining." It's about money plain and simple. Just about getting a wide an audience as possible. There is absolute zero reason for a studio to introduce the idea of a Robocop remake......rated PG-13 with anything other than money in mind.

Maybe I am too jaded, maybe I am just sick and tired of this new(ish) idea that every movie has to be for every person nowadays.

I have the Criterion Collection "Rated X"/NC-17 DVD of the original. It was a pretty hot item back in the day but I think there has been a release or two since of the flick that has put the Unrated version on there?
Get your TV Horror Fix w/the Podcast EVIL EPISODES! Listen at:
http://www.legionpodcasts.com/
http://www.horrorphilia.com

Offline CletusVanDamme

• BlackFlagg
« Reply #74 on: September 05, 2013, 11:10:49 AM »

« Reply #75 on: September 05, 2013, 11:45:50 AM »
It looks better than Robocop 3, at least.

• Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #76 on: September 05, 2013, 12:01:19 PM »
Doesn't look bad. It's the type of movie that can be saved by the cast, which it's got some great talent.

Offline Smues

• Admin
  • Smuesicide
ROB(ert)OCOP (2014)
« Reply #77 on: September 05, 2013, 12:17:50 PM »
I want Jimmy Fallon to be dead. That doesn't make me a bad person.

Offline Nymyzys

• TRTSM's Color Commentator
Re: ROB(ert)OCOP (2014)
« Reply #78 on: September 05, 2013, 12:22:45 PM »
So far, so good.  I see they use a car bomb for a plot device rather than him being dismembered via bullet barrage.

Offline Angle-plex

• A white man with white problems
« Reply #79 on: September 05, 2013, 12:33:33 PM »
Looks like Iron Man/Batman/Superman/Captain America/Avengers.

Offline Amy pats fan

• P dot Roy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • hashtag trashbag
« Reply #80 on: September 05, 2013, 12:35:10 PM »
dead or alive, you're [starting a redundant thread]

• Poster of the Year
« Reply #81 on: September 05, 2013, 12:50:07 PM »
Just to be clear, this is NOT the Robert Cop movie I'm always talking about.

• Laz

• Laz
« Reply #83 on: September 05, 2013, 12:56:11 PM »
After watching the trailer...

Yeah. I'm still on the "way to miss the fucking point" side. At least the re-design of the suit and ED-209 look nice.

Offline BPSS

• BurningPirateShipSex
« Reply #84 on: September 05, 2013, 02:19:05 PM »

Well, sure. Going by the thread title, this is a movie about either Robert O'Cop, or Roberto Cop.

Offline Angle-plex

« Reply #85 on: September 05, 2013, 02:58:25 PM »
After watching the trailer...

Yeah. I'm still on the "way to miss the fucking point" side. At least the re-design of the suit and ED-209 look nice.

You're missing the point. There is an explosion and shooting robots and a sexy leading man that chicks will love (much sexier than Peter Weller). What's not to like?

Offline Smues

• Admin
  • Smuesicide
« Reply #86 on: September 05, 2013, 03:44:46 PM »
This is what happens when you don't name the god damned threads correctly. (I didn't know there was an NFL thread for this week either. Fuck each and every one of you.)
I want Jimmy Fallon to be dead. That doesn't make me a bad person.

Offline no fact, no matter

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #87 on: September 05, 2013, 03:53:52 PM »

Well, sure. Going by the thread title, this is a movie about either Robert O'Cop, or Roberto Cop.
You should probably put your bandit hat on now.

Online Epic Reine

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
Re: ROBOCOP(2014)
« Reply #88 on: September 06, 2013, 01:30:45 AM »
So disappointed. I'll hold off judgment until I see more but I'm not excited for this so far and a year ago, I was psyched due to the strong cast.

• Poster of the Year
« Reply #89 on: September 06, 2013, 02:11:16 AM »
(much sexier than Peter Weller).

Let's not say anything that we can't take back.

Online A Crying Hoss

• brock lock
Re: ROBOCOP (2014)
« Reply #90 on: September 06, 2013, 02:59:01 AM »

Roberto Cop looks much fatter than I was expecting.

• Laz
« Reply #91 on: September 06, 2013, 03:15:53 AM »
I want to make a joke about cybernetic donuts, but I don't care enough to craft it right. Just pretend it was funny. Or, since it was made by me, pretend it's dumb and childish and borderline [whatever]ist but then laugh when somebody else makes a similar joke.

Offline Angle-plex

« Reply #92 on: September 06, 2013, 03:24:46 AM »
In Detroit 2030, all the criminals are white

• Laz
« Reply #93 on: September 06, 2013, 03:32:27 AM »
Just like they were in the 80's. Time has a way of repeating itself. Now, maybe some of these guys should have mohawks and leather jackets and want the hair down there...

Offline NoCalMike

• Welcome to Prime Time, bitch!
    • EVIL EPISODES PODCAST!
« Reply #94 on: September 06, 2013, 07:05:49 AM »
Looks generic and soul-less, as expected.  Of course he is taken out by an explosion, of course, everyone loves those cgi explosions nowadays.  Getting blown to bits in a barrage of bullets just aint going to cut it with today's 13 year old.
Get your TV Horror Fix w/the Podcast EVIL EPISODES! Listen at:
http://www.legionpodcasts.com/
http://www.horrorphilia.com

Offline CletusVanDamme

• BlackFlagg
« Reply #95 on: November 08, 2013, 01:13:13 AM »

Offline Venkman

• Dr Venkman PhD
« Reply #96 on: November 08, 2013, 01:57:44 AM »
Crime's new enemy is Zechs Marquis in a new black outfit?

Offline ViciousFish

• CXF Writer
« Reply #97 on: November 08, 2013, 02:49:18 AM »
That movie looks like a steaming pile.
Matt, don't be a fag. Post some huge cocks.

Offline tekcop

• CXF Writer
  • TSM's Finest
« Reply #98 on: November 08, 2013, 02:57:51 AM »
I was absolutely under the impression that this movie had already come out and been forgotten. What was I thinking about then?

• Laz
« Reply #99 on: November 08, 2013, 03:31:33 AM »
Well, this likely WILL be forgotten about rather quickly, so...maybe you're just really clairvoyant about shyte remakes?