Author Topic: TNA Impact thread - May 14, 2009  (Read 1766 times)

Description:

Offline JHawk

• Jim Cornette Guy
  • CXF Writer
  • Thank You, Fuck You, Bye!
    • Smart Mark Radio
TNA Impact thread - May 14, 2009
« on: May 14, 2009, 03:47:16 AM »
Preview courtesy of tnawrestling.com

PREVIEW FOR TONIGHT'S HUGE "iMPACT!" BROADCAST ON SPIKE TV AT 9/8c
The road to the May 24 "Sacrifice" Pay-Per-View continues

Tonight, TNA Wrestling returns to SpikeTV at 9/8c for two hours of Total Nonstop Action as the road to the May 24 "Sacrifice" Pay-Per-View event continues!

The below is a preview of what is scheduled for the huge broadcast:

- Who is in charge in TNA Wrestling: TNA Founder Jeff Jarrett, or Executive Shareholder and TNA World Heavyweight Champion Mick Foley? In recent weeks, the two superstars have been involved in an ongoing power struggle. TNAwrestling.com has learned that Foley plans to open Thursday's broadcast with some words regarding the volatile situation, as well as a major announcement concerning TNA Founder, Jeff Jarrett! What does Foley have planned? Who truly calls the shots in TNA? Tune in and find out!

- Will we find out the true identity of TNA X Division Champion Suicide? This past week, The Motor City Machineguns and Lethal Consequences confronted Daniels on the rumor he is under the mask as Suicide. The Machienguns are demanding Suicide's true identity be revealed on Thursday night on SpikeTV, and according to Sabin and Shelley, they'll pull the mask off themselves if they have to! Who is under the disguise? Is it really Daniels? Don't miss it on Thursday's "iMPACT!" on SpikeTV!

Also on Thursday's broadcast:

- Speaking of Suicide, he will team up with Amazing Red on Thursday to take on The British Invasion in the semifinals of the Team 3D Tag Team Tournament for a shot at the TNA World Tag Team gold!

- We'll hear from "The Icon" Sting, who has vowed to retire if he gets pinned in the main event at Sacrifice!

- Will we find out more about Samoa Joe and the mysterious person he has been talking to?

- Kevin Nash and Booker T of the Main Event Mafia will both be in singles action on the broadcast

- Who is TNA Women's Champion Angelina Love getting as backup in her war against Awesome Kong? With Velvet Sky and Madison Rayne injured, who will Angelina turn to for help?

- Plus, more news on the May 24 "Sacrifice" Pay-Per-View event and much more!

So the match list:

1.  Suidice/Amazing Red vs. The British Invasion
2.  Kevin Nash vs. ???
3.  Booker T vs. ???
4.  Awesome Kong vs. ??? (not clear based on this preview if it's a match or a segment)

TNA loves it when ??? wrestles, huh?

Offline Psycho Penguin

• Mitch Richmond > Michael Jordan
    • Twitter
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009, 06:37:40 AM »
I am guessing we end up with Lethal Consequences vs MCMG vs Suicide/Daniels at Sacrifice.

Offline Next USC #55

• Back In Style
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009, 07:06:00 AM »
Hold up. Daniels goes from being the heralded returnee to help Frontline to messing around with Suicide based on the whole angle of him being under the mask while Kaz was hurt? Way to piss on Daniels's momentum, guys.

Offline RedJed

• Rasslin' Rambler
    • RedJed's Rasslin' Rants - Only on YouTube! The latest in the wild and wacky world of pro wrestling!!
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2009, 08:44:02 AM »
I never even recalled finding spoilers to this show so it should be interesting to watch it without even knowing anything that happened. Last week's show was kind of all over the place, so we'll see where this goes.

With these matches, I'm having my doubts this is going to be anything but bad as far as the in-ring goes with the sole exception being the Suicide/Red v. British Invasion match.....

*Eric Young vs. Samoa Joe
*Awesome Kong vs. Cute Kip in a stretcher match
*Booker T vs. Jethro Holliday
*Kevin Nash vs. Yujiro & Tetsuya Naito

They must have alot of promo time scheduled for the Foley/Sting/Jarrett/Angle stuff with a shit lineup like that.

Offline "Dot Com" Matt Postin (heel)

• Poster of the Year
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2009, 01:34:03 PM »
"Let's just face it. All women are crazy."
-Don West

The Day in the Life of Double J has been abysmal but Kevin Nash dominating a handicap match against a foreign cruiserweight tag team is giving me warm and fuzzy memories of WCW.

Offline Monsoon Classic

• Monsoon_Classic
    • My YouTube Channel with over 2,000 classic WWF & WCW videos
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2009, 01:34:58 PM »
I got to give an Ataboy to Nash for taking a bump for the Japs.
Check out my YouTube page for over 2,000 classic WWF & WCW videos:
https://www.youtube.com/user/MrMonsoonClassic/videos

Offline JHawk

• Jim Cornette Guy
  • CXF Writer
  • Thank You, Fuck You, Bye!
    • Smart Mark Radio
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2009, 01:37:46 PM »
Daniels-Sabin and the tag match were both pretty good as far as five minute "We have to pretend to want wrestling on our soap opera" matches go, so the show's not a total waste.

Offline Chainsaw 🦇 & Tyrano Shark

• CXF Writer
  • Chainsaw Batman & Tyrano Shark
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2009, 03:20:16 PM »
Why is Christopher Daniels now just "Daniels?" That's fucking retarded.

Offline JRE

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2009, 03:28:24 PM »
I've been enjoying the TNA shows since Sacrifice.  The thing that still bugs me about is how little the crowd reacts during matches.  For example...I'm sitting here watching Daniels hitting a series of pretty impressive moves that should have a lot of impact...ends with a BME....with mild applause and no change in the crowd dynamic.

Offline RedJed

• Rasslin' Rambler
    • RedJed's Rasslin' Rants - Only on YouTube! The latest in the wild and wacky world of pro wrestling!!
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2009, 03:50:24 PM »
I've been enjoying the TNA shows since Sacrifice.  The thing that still bugs me about is how little the crowd reacts during matches.  For example...I'm sitting here watching Daniels hitting a series of pretty impressive moves that should have a lot of impact...ends with a BME....with mild applause and no change in the crowd dynamic.

That may be because they are taping more than just one show per taping, so the crowds might be getting burned out, and particularly this week I noticed alot more touristy people there, such as families with kids who are just kind of sitting on their hands a bit.

Well thanks to my DVR cutting out, I just was able to see the first half hour (opening segment plus Sabin/Daniels) and the last segment of the show only. With that said, I did like that last Jarrett/Foley angle they cut at the old Nashville Fairgrounds spot where they used to have TNA weekly ppvs from and the home of so much nostaglia from wrestling past. I really wish they would actually go back to that place for a big show once a year or something in the least.

I'm sure the rest of the show had its ups and downs. Will have to look for a torrent of the show to see the rest here.

Offline mellow

• NXT Pro
    • Hell no.
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2009, 04:19:16 PM »
I've been enjoying how Team 3D are putting over the tag team division and tag team wrestling overall. It was really cool seeing Doug Williams and the Amazing Red in the same ring.

I also agree that TNA is squandering the momentum that they had with Christopher Daniels. But, that's generally what they do with their homegrown talents, so...

Offline Chainsaw 🦇 & Tyrano Shark

• CXF Writer
  • Chainsaw Batman & Tyrano Shark
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2009, 04:22:56 PM »
I dont mind seeing Daniels involved with the Guns and Lethal Consequences really, but why in hell are they just referring to him as Daniels now? Is he not allowed to have a first name anymore?

Offline The Buzz

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2009, 04:57:51 PM »
If they ever do another Sting dvd, they should include his yearly sit-down interviews with Mikey Tenay.

I enjoyed the show, though having Cute Kip job to Awesome Kong was kind of lame regardless of how big or bad she may be. I know Kip isn't a great or even a decent wrestler at this stage.(Nor was he ever really all that good) But I've always thought intergender matches outside of the occasion intergender tag matches are pretty worthless.

I think somehow their strategy with Daniel's name change is to put him over somehow as a big deal. I don't know that it really helps to be honest, it's not the type of name like Goldberg or Batista that sound better without the first name.

Offline Next USC #55

• Back In Style
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2009, 05:00:32 PM »
I hope I didn't cause some weird cosmic thing that caused Christopher Daniels to lose his first name by just referring to him as Daniels  :-\

Matt Young

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2009, 05:13:46 PM »
I just finished watching Impact not too long ago.  Some thoughts:

It was obvious that Cute Kip was who Angelina was on the phone with last week... but WHY?  Last I heard, TNA was done using him on TV.  He's always been horrible, and this gimmick is his worst yet.  And whatever happened to no man on woman violence?  At least Kip got squashed.

I liked the Jarrett segments for the most part, but it was kind of weird/creepy how he forced a Foley jab into casual conversations with his pre-teen daughters.  Also, when they were driving around, the girls were not wearing seat belts.  Bad parenting.

Taylor Wilde is an attractive young lady and a decent wrestler, but she's been booked horribly since the day she arrived.  She was pushed too hard too quickly to begin with.  Then there was the terrible "ghetto party slut" team with Roxxi and that Governor bullshit.  Now she's been portrayed as so desperate that she'll cream herself over a secret admirer.  Also, Lauren threatening to cut Daffney was just terrible.

I know Russo loves shades of grey, and I don't mind some ambiguity in the characters.  But this is just too much.  Joe's acting like a heel while he's with the face group; Sting's a face who's aligned with the top heel faction; and Foley seemingly switches between heel and face multiple times per show.

The Front Line: Dead or alive?  No wrestlers have mentioned the group lately.  They certainly haven't appeared together.  No more logo shirts, either.  Yet Don West mentions the faction at least a couple times per show.

The Sharmell/Jenna stuff is completely worthless and could have no desirable payoff short of them dykin' it up buck naked in the middle of the ring.

Nash vs. Joe is meaningless at this point.  They've waited way too long to have the match in the first place.  Add to that the fact that Joe's been booked horribly since the beginning of 2009, and he and Nash have had little to no interaction.  Joe needs to just beat the living fuck out of Nash and end it.

It's not too big of a deal, but why throw Jethro Holliday to the wolves in an extended squash in his first ever singles match with the company?  He looked like a total jobber, Impact logo create-a-wrestler tron video and all.

Don West comparing the Jarrett videos to waterboarding was pretty funny.

TNA can be so damn stupid sometimes, but despite all that, I enjoyed the show for the most part. 

Offline Jebus

• Be excellent to each other!
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2009, 05:26:14 PM »
Nash vs. Joe is meaningless at this point.  They've waited way too long to have the match in the first place.

Injury. Nash made his in-ring comeback last month.

Matt Young

« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2009, 05:46:25 PM »
Yes, but even before that, they put it off.  I even read that the plan was to keep the 2 separated for a while before matching them up again.

Offline Jebus

• Be excellent to each other!
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2009, 06:43:06 PM »
Indeed, I read the same thing that they wanted Nash to duck a rematch with Joe for a while.
Still, you can't fault TNA for the crappy circumstances. I thought their original plan was good.

November: Joe vs. Nash 1
December: On opposite sides in 8-Man tag
January: MEM injures Joe
February: Joe vs. Nash 2

Instead, Nash got injured before the PPV in January and Joe's revenge feud was with Steiner.

Offline Big Beard Booty Daddy

• My name's not fucking Warren
  • Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2009, 08:32:21 PM »
If they ever do another Sting dvd, they should include his yearly sit-down interviews with Mikey Tenay.

I enjoyed the show, though having Cute Kip job to Awesome Kong was kind of lame regardless of how big or bad she may be. I know Kip isn't a great or even a decent wrestler at this stage.(Nor was he ever really all that good) But I've always thought intergender matches outside of the occasion intergender tag matches are pretty worthless.

I think somehow their strategy with Daniel's name change is to put him over somehow as a big deal. I don't know that it really helps to be honest, it's not the type of name like Goldberg or Batista that sound better without the first name.

He's just Daniels becasue TNA likes to copyright their names, and they can't copyright Christopher Daniels, since he's used that for years, but they can on just Daniels. Same reason they changed it from Amazing Kong to Awesome Kong, and so on. If you notice though, his friends and people close ot him still call him Chris.
2012 TRTSM Fantasy Hockey Champion

Matt Young

« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2009, 09:01:18 PM »
Well, they could have copyrighted Christopher Daniels if he signed the rights over to them, but he probably chose not to, just like Kong and Low Ki.  I actually didn't know Christopher Daniels was not his real name till I read your post and then checked Wikipedia.

Offline Big Beard Booty Daddy

• My name's not fucking Warren
  • Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2009, 09:29:03 PM »
Well, they could have copyrighted Christopher Daniels if he signed the rights over to them, but he probably chose not to, just like Kong and Low Ki.  I actually didn't know Christopher Daniels was not his real name till I read your post and then checked Wikipedia.

I just posted a list of the TNA roster with real names and ages in the general wrestling thread.
2012 TRTSM Fantasy Hockey Champion

Offline I Know You Like Sugar

• King Cucaracha
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2009, 11:51:32 PM »
Scott Steiner continues to be the most entertaining thing on the show.

They're really telegraphing Taz with this Nation Of Violence (more like Nation Of PIE-lence, amirite?) aren't they? "He's wearing a black towel, what could this mean?" Maybe Joe's just keeping prepared incase a picnic breaks out.

EDIT: Oh, and Borash's cameo in the Jarrett videos made me laugh.

Offline Monsoon Classic

• Monsoon_Classic
    • My YouTube Channel with over 2,000 classic WWF & WCW videos
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2009, 01:39:55 AM »
The Foley/Borash EYE skit w/ Eric Young was pretty awesome.
Check out my YouTube page for over 2,000 classic WWF & WCW videos:
https://www.youtube.com/user/MrMonsoonClassic/videos

Offline Brodypedia

• BruiserBrody
  • CXF Writer
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2009, 12:09:40 PM »
I have the same body as Samoa Joe

Sad.