Author Topic: House Shows/Live Events thread  (Read 30118 times)

Description:

Online Bernie Bro Kamala

• CXF Writer
  • This conversation sucks.I'm going to take a shower
House Shows/Live Events thread
« Reply #50 on: June 07, 2009, 10:50:02 AM »
I actually kind of liked those marathon TV tapings. I went to two- a Superstars taping in July '94 (my first show) and a WCW Saturday Night taping in May '98. I was bargain conscience even at that young age and those tapings gave you a lot of bang for your back. Even at the best house show--there'd be a few stars missing but everybody's who's anybody were on those marathon tapings. Well not the Saturday Night one since it was a B show at that point but you get the idea.

But boy howdy- Pops Kamala (who always took me to rasslin) didn't like those four hour tapings at all. After a while, he told me point blank that he'd just buy me PPVs (which was a rarity) instead of taking me to the matches.

Online JHawk

• Jim Cornette Guy
  • CXF Writer
  • Thank You, Fuck You, Bye!
    • Smart Mark Radio
« Reply #51 on: June 07, 2009, 11:18:21 AM »
I wish I could have gone to one of those marathon tapings just to say I did it once.

I've also considered making the hour or so drive to one of those PWO TV tapings but not sure I'm willing to risk getting lost for indy wrestling I can watch two weeks later on TV anyway.

Offline Monsoon Classic

• Monsoon_Classic
    • My YouTube Channel with over 2,000 classic WWF & WCW videos
« Reply #52 on: June 09, 2009, 09:06:06 AM »
Same here.  I'd have had a blast at a SS/Challenge taping if I was a kid.  I almost went to a WCW SN taping in Erie when I was 15 or so.  But a 180-mile roundtrip on a schoolnight wasn't happening.

I drove about 45mins to the PWO show.  I rarely watch it on STO but after seeing the Canadian mockumentary Kayfabe, I just had to go to an indy show.

I would have made small talk w/ Greg Valentine during one of the intermissions but I'd feel compelled to buy an autograph from him and I wasn't having that.
Check out my YouTube page for over 2,000 classic WWF & WCW videos:
https://www.youtube.com/user/MrMonsoonClassic/videos

Offline RedJed

• Rasslin' Rambler
    • RedJed's Rasslin' Rants - Only on YouTube! The latest in the wild and wacky world of pro wrestling!!
« Reply #53 on: July 18, 2009, 10:48:05 AM »
Quite a weekend of wrestling shenanigans is lined up Summerslam weekend in Los Angeles, beyond just the actual Summerslam event at Staples Center (which myself and Matt Young will be checking out).

Saturday, August 22 - Just picked up tickets for the XPW 10th Anniversary show, which is being held that afternoon early on. Not sure what kind of lineup they have yet, but curious about this one. Didn't XPW do a reunion show last year also? I heard kind of good reviews on it.

Then later than evening, The Improv in Hollywood actually is going to have a stand up comedy show featuring Mick Foley and Colt Cabana (as well as special guest TBA). This will be different, no doubt about that.

Sunday, August 23 - WWE is having the Fan Axxess event this entire weekend right next to Staples Center at the Nokia Theater, so we'll be checking this out Sunday afternoon from noon to 4pm, before Summerslam starts right next door at 5pm. Have kind of high expectations for SS this year since they are actively trying to market it like a Wrestlemania, it seems like.

I would bet there is going to be a few more wrestling shows I try to catch while out in SoCal in August.......I've always wanted to go down to Tijuana to catch their monthly Lucha Libre show, so will be shooting for that. Also would imagine PWG will likely have a show lined up in August too.

I'm also planning on heading back out in October for Bound for Glory and the fan fest as well for it.

Online Bernie Bro Kamala

• CXF Writer
« Reply #54 on: July 18, 2009, 11:03:47 AM »
I'm going to try and see if I can wrangle my college wrestling buddy to go to RAW in Albany on September 28th. I do have a 8:30 A.M. on Tuesdays though. Have never been to a live TV taping though and I need to rectify that.

Might go to the NWA On Fire show next Saturday up the block from my house. Gran Apolo Vs former WCW jobber Rick Fuller is the scheduled main event and Bob Backlund and a Doink are scheduled to show up.

Online Nymyzys

• TRTSM's Color Commentator
« Reply #55 on: July 18, 2009, 04:09:39 PM »
I went to the RAW House Show in Aiken, SC tonight.  It was my first show since the Wrestlemania go-home show in Columbia, SC last March (2008).  I have to be honest, I had a really good time.  The show was a sell-out, with lots of people being turned away at the ticket window, and people trying to buy tickets from others outside.  Prior to the show, I stopped at a gas station to buy my girlfriend a snack (she's not a big fan of "arena food"), and saw Chavo Guerrero, Scott Armstrong (the referee, I think it's Scott) and Mark Henry picking up some things.  I spoke to Chavo briefly, but didn't say anything to the other two.  Mark Henry is a fucking beast, and pretty solid-looking.  The USCA Convocation Center holds a little over 2000 I believe.

I'll try to remember some of the details.  The opening match was Evan Bourne vs The Brian Kendrick.  They REALLY need to do this on TV.  The match was a tad slow to start, but they really picked up the pace after a couple minutes.  There was a neat submission sequence with TBK putting Bourne in just about every variation of the Camel Clutch, back-to-back that you can think of.  Sheik-style, Steiner Recliner-style, fucking DRAGON CLUTCH-style, and using Bourne's own arms to choke him with while wrenching-back.  Bourne got the win with a Shelton Benjamin-esque leap to Hurricanrana TBK from the top rope, followed with the Air Bourne.  

Next was Primo vs Jack Swagger.  I gotta say, this was the best match I've seen from either man.  Primo brought his A-game, as did Swagger.  Swagger got the win with the Gutwrench Powerbomb.

Gail Kim and Mickie James vs Maryse and Alicia was next.  Someone give me one good reason why Gail Kim is not the center piece of the women's division.  Good God, this woman can go, and held the crowd's interest.  Her offense is so diverse and unique.  I've never been impressed with Alicia's in ring skills, but anytime she was in the ring with Kim, they just clicked.  When Mickie or Maryse hit the ring, the pace slowed to a crawl.  The heels picked up the win with Maryse hitting a sick DDT on Mickie.

Kofi Kingston vs Chavo for the US Title.  Again, Chavo brought his A-Game here.  With all the comedy throwaway matches he's had to do lately, you almost forget how capable he is in the ring.  They had a great match, with Chavo getting in a surprising amount of the offense.  Finish came with Hornswoggle running in, slapping Chavo on the ass, and Kofi hitting TiP.  

Santino vs Carlito.  Carlito has changed his look a bit, going to extra-shiny black pants and black Triple-H style wrist tape.  This match SUCKED ASS.  Santino was relying way too much on comedy.  You could tell these guys just said fuck it, and went to an out-of-nowhere small package from Santino for the win.  HORRIBLE match.

Big Show vs MVP.  Big Show got the 3rd loudest pop of the night, being the hometown boy and all.  Big Show played face, and MVP heeled it up.  Big Show won with the Chokeslam.  

Main event was Triple H, John Cena, and Mark Henry vs Legacy.  Orton got a pretty good pop, as did Mark Henry.  THEN came Cena's entrance, at which I went deaf from the children screaming for him.  I just thought this was loud, though.  When fucking Triple H came out, I believe my ears dripped blood.  This man, is indeed the man in WWE, or at least here in Aiken.  Henry has some good crowd-control ability.  He could point to the audience and get a massive pop.  Henry played face in peril, then Triple H.  Orton tried to punt Triple H, who rolled out of the way, and got the hot tag to Cena.  Finish was Henry running Orton away, and Triple H and Cena hitting stereo finishers on Orton and Rhodes, with Cena getting the pin.

Overall, a great show.  

Offline Monsoon Classic

• Monsoon_Classic
    • My YouTube Channel with over 2,000 classic WWF & WCW videos
« Reply #56 on: July 19, 2009, 03:01:40 AM »
It's always nice to go to what seems like will be a blah house show and have your expectations exceeded.
Check out my YouTube page for over 2,000 classic WWF & WCW videos:
https://www.youtube.com/user/MrMonsoonClassic/videos

Online JHawk

• Jim Cornette Guy
  • CXF Writer
  • Thank You, Fuck You, Bye!
    • Smart Mark Radio
« Reply #57 on: July 19, 2009, 02:59:13 PM »
Planning on an indy show at a local high school on Saturday.  No lineup set that I've seen but it's allegedly a benefit for a local college student in need of a heart transplant.

Allegedly.

Offline 6foot9

• bwah off
« Reply #58 on: July 19, 2009, 07:04:27 PM »
I know this is over a month late, but on the topic of long shows I had to add this story.

2 weeks after the Benoit murders they held a supershow at the AAC in Dallas, where they were going to tape ECW and SD, and have a live Raw all in the same night.  I went with a friend and I'm pretty sure it lasted somewhere around 5 hours.  My back got so screwed up from sitting in those super uncomfortable chairs for so long that I could barely walk for 2 weeks.  The only thing that made it worth it was watching the hype video for the Lashley/Cena main event tons of times until the actual ppv with my "CENA SUX" sign easily visible over Cena's shoulder.

Kofi Kingston
Christian
The Miz
Ted DiBiase
Wade Barrett
Chris Jericho
CM Punk

Offline RedJed

• Rasslin' Rambler
    • RedJed's Rasslin' Rants - Only on YouTube! The latest in the wild and wacky world of pro wrestling!!
« Reply #59 on: July 24, 2009, 10:16:13 AM »
In some weird event of odd coincidence, for both SummerSlam this year and Bound for Glory (going to both shows in Los Angeles) there is a WWE and TNA house show, respectively, the weekend before each of those big shows nearby here in MN/WI, and I'm shooting on going to both of those as well. The WWE house show before Summerslam is August 15 not even a mile away from my place (Alltel Center in Mankato, MN), a Smackdown/ECW show with Punk against a winner of a 12 man battle royale to start the show. Also Dreamer/Regal. The TNA house show is in La Crosse, WI on October 9, just a week before the Bound for Glory show in LA.

Offline "Dot Com" Matt Postin (heel)

• Poster of the Year
« Reply #60 on: July 24, 2009, 10:28:57 AM »
You know, I'd really like to see Dreamer/Regal for some reason.

Offline RedJed

• Rasslin' Rambler
« Reply #61 on: July 24, 2009, 01:44:08 PM »
You know, I'd really like to see Dreamer/Regal for some reason.

Same here, definately looking forward to seeing this match live.

Small little fact is that this will be the first WWE event that the city I live in (Mankato) has had at the arena here in town since 2002, when the company did the first match of record between Lesnar and Angle in WWE. I think it was September of that year. Prior to that, we used to get WCW here almost once a year from 95 to 2000, a Nitro once (first WCW show that the Crow Sting initially showed up, this was in October of 96), a few Saturday Night tapings, and a few house shows.

Offline AntiLeaf33

« Reply #62 on: July 27, 2009, 08:02:27 AM »
There is a live even coming to Halifax in September, but it's Raw. There aren't many guys on the Raw roster that I am really dying to see (Evan Bourne would be cool to see though) so I'm on the fence about going. Some of the tickets are only $30, so I may get a couple of cheap seats. For those who have seen Raw house shows lately, are they worth the money? If it was Smackdown, however, I would get tickets in a heartbeat.

Matt Young

« Reply #63 on: July 27, 2009, 09:47:25 AM »
The last show I went to, period, was a TNA house show last Halloween.  However, I plan to go see a San Bernardino-based fed, the Empire Wrestling Federation (run by Jesse Hernandez), on August 9th.  I've met some of the wrestlers, but they run most of their shows far away.  This time, they'll be in Riverside.  Elks Lodge, motherfuckers!

RedJed and I will also be going to an XPW show before SummerSlam next month.  I thought the videos I saw of old XPW were mostly shit, but I'm hoping this will be much better.  Fuck it; it's live wrestling. I've never not had fun at a show.

Offline RedJed

• Rasslin' Rambler
« Reply #64 on: July 27, 2009, 10:45:17 AM »
Yeah, that XPW reunion show (billed at a 10 year anniversary show) should be interesting. BTW Matt, I'm still looking for those other tickets for SS too.

Heading up to First Avenue in Minneapolis on Friday night for an all women's card put on by First Wrestling or something. I'm sure some of the matches will totally suck, but still should be fun, since I can't recall anyone around here ever doing a complete all women's show. Lots of TNA chicks on the card. Plus, Molly Holly, Tammy Sytch and Stacy Carter are going to be there, not sure if they will work a match though. I would expect it to be kind of like WEW or something, a little sleazy since its 18+ to check it out, but thumbs up for that fact. Actually alot of decent women stars on this card, plus they got Johnny Fairplay and his reality TV chick doing wrestling now too. Oy vey.

Here is the card....

* MAIN EVENT! *
** TNA KNOCKOUTS COLLIDE! **
Amazing Kong -vs- O.D.B.

** BIKINI CONTEST! **
???? vs ?????

** PADDLE ON A POLE MATCH! **
???? vs ??????

* MIXED TAG ACTION! *
"Playboy" Pete Huge & Allison Wonderland -vs- "Anarchist" Arik Cannon & Christy Hemme

* HARDCORE RULES! *
Ann Brookstone -vs- Former TNA Knockout Roxxi

* Special Challenge Match! *
Rachel Summerlyn -vs- TNA Knockout Daffney

Shark Girl -vs- TNA Knockout Sojo Bolt

* ALSO SCHEDULED TO APPEAR! *
Former WWE Diva : Molly Holly
Former WWE Diva : Sunny
Former WWE Diva : Ms. Kitty
TNA Knockout : Victoria
From Survivor : Johnny Fairplay
From America's Next Top Model : Michelle

PLUS MUCH MORE!!!

Offline fazzle

« Reply #65 on: July 27, 2009, 09:44:31 PM »
I find it strange that with all those women there, they have Daffney pulling double duty.

Offline RedJed

• Rasslin' Rambler
« Reply #66 on: August 01, 2009, 06:36:39 AM »
That show I mentioned above was last night.........actually it was one of the more entertaining (from top to bottom) wrestling shows I've been to live in years believe it or not. Whoever laid out this show needs to be commended because it really didn't expose any (or should I say some of) these women's lack of athletic skills. And what was really cool was that before, during, and somewhat after the show, all of the women were out meeting and greeting with everyone. Ended up talking to Tammy Sytch for a good while (she seemed legitimately happy to be there), as I did with Miss Kitty Stacy Carter, who was incredibly friendly and honestly looking hotter than she ever has. She seemed like just a normal girl, probably because she's been out of the stage for so long so she doesn't have that wrestling baggage of sorts that others may have. On top of it, hardly anyone there really knew of her as much as the others so she was just kind of sitting there solo, so when conversation was struck, she was more than happy to just have someone there who knew of her. It blew me away on that fact that she was a virtual unknown to everyone, but it made talking to her alot more casual I guess you could say. Also talked a little bit to Daffney (way down to earth), ODB (who was getting booze bought for her left and right by fans), Molly Holly (just as you would expect personality wise), Christy Hemme, Kong, Roxxi, etc. All the girls seemed to be enjoying themselves in the ring and outside of it interacting with the fans.

The matches themselves ranged from entertaining car wrecks to really solid stuff. They had the token cliche stuff like a bikini contest (only with, I'm guessing, local women as I had never heard of any of them except one who I know is a local worker). Surprisingly, Daffney and Sojo Bolt has a hell of a pure wrestling match that the fans applauded both of them afterwards for. Also, Roxxi and a midwest girl named Ann Brookstone (kind of a bigger brawler kind of worker) had a great street fight match that ended up going all over the nightclub, knocking over all of an area of ringside seats when Brookstone was thrown hard into them. They also used a staple gun and other props. This was easily the best woman's match I've seen live, highlighted by this same woman taking a bump face first into tacks. Damn! I have some shotty video from this match I'll try to upload someone the next few days (as well as some pictures i took). The main event was ODB/Kong with Molly Holly as ref. Just the typical stuff you would see from these two, but the finish was Kong taking Molly up for a power bomb, but being stopped by ODB, getting the win out of it. End of the show was the two Minnesota girls (Molly and ODB) getting the cheers.

Like I said Ill try to post some video and more pics soon, but here is a few shots of me and Tammy and Stacy. And yes, I was very fucking ripped when I met Tammy, if you can tell.

Offline RedJed

• Rasslin' Rambler
« Reply #67 on: August 08, 2009, 01:58:58 PM »
They changed the lineup for the Smackdown house show I'll be checking out next Saturday pretty severely:

Christian vs. Tommy Dreamer vs. Shelton Benjamin vs. William Regal - Fatal Four Way for the ECW Championship (This was originally Dreamer v. Regal, then changed to Christian v. Regal, and now it's this.)

CM Punk vs. John Morrison - Smackdown Challenge Match (Originally, this was Punk, when he was still champ, facing the winner of a battle royale to open the show, but now it's turned to this. Needless to say, no Jeff Hardy appearing)

The Great Khali vs. Kane (Should be a trainwreck of a deal to see live)

Finlay, The Hart Dynasty, Cryme Tyme, Dolph Ziggler, Vladimir Kozlov, and The Bellas are also listed to appear.

Offline timmy8271

« Reply #68 on: August 08, 2009, 02:22:08 PM »
Just got back from FCW(Florida Championship Wrestling, WWE Developmental) and it was a interesting but good show.

I won't post the results cause there were like 8 matches I don't remember them all. Here's what I remember:

Wes Brisco continues to be the most over guy in Orlando as he appeared 4 times. Once beating Bryon Saxton, Another time to help the Windham brothers vs Abraham Washington's boys(Abraham was awesome here with the cheap heat), had a 6 man match {Bo/Duke Windham and Wes vs Fletcher Chase, Heath Miller and Troy Jackman.) and helped Tyler Recks in his title match vs Sheamus. Washington booked Bo/Duke/Wes/Tyler vs Sheamus/Fletcher/Heath/Troy for the next FCW card September 25th.

Dos Caras Jr. had one of the worst matches i've ever seen with Sicodelico vs Haku's kids. He fucked up somehow and got DQ'd cause he wouldn't leave the ring on the 5 count. The crowd and everybody went WTF/ God it was horrible.

Low Ki was in the house sitting near the entrance. Almost went up to him but I didn't. Alicia Fox was the ring announcer and She's way better as a babyface than heel.

Yoshi Tatsu was there in a tag match with Johnny Curtis vs Mr. Tarver(Kinda like a MMA Monty Brown) and some other guy. Looked good in the match.

Matt Young

« Reply #69 on: August 08, 2009, 02:30:51 PM »
I'm going to my first Empire Wrestling Federation show tomorrow. I've been acquainted with a former wrestler/current backstage worker for a while due to the Facebook Wrestler app, and we met up at a TNA show last year, but I've never gone to any of their shows due to them running near LA and me having no car. 

But this is the fed owned by Jesse Hernandez that has trained or helped train quite a few past and present WWE Superstars.  It will be my first wrestling show since last Halloween and my first indy show in 3 years.

Online Bernie Bro Kamala

• CXF Writer
« Reply #70 on: August 08, 2009, 04:32:56 PM »
NWA On Fire is advertising Apollo Vs Lance Cade for the NWA North American title for the show at the armory up the street on the 22nd. Also advertised; the quarreling brothers tag team from that episode of MTV True Life! Those guys have seemingly replaced The Logan Brothers as the go-to brothers tag team in the fed. Too bad cause The Logans were the two guys I saw maybe going somewhere and I don't think anybody's dropping down 15 bones to see the argumentative twin brothers from that episode of True Life!

Offline "Dot Com" Matt Postin (heel)

• Poster of the Year
« Reply #71 on: August 08, 2009, 04:38:26 PM »
The Windham Brothers? Are they any good?

Offline timmy8271

« Reply #72 on: August 08, 2009, 04:55:21 PM »
They aren't bad. One of them looks EXACTLY like Mike Rotunda to the tee. The other one looks like a cross between Barry and Blackjack Mulligan.

Offline samoarowe

• samoarowe
    • Da Wrestling Site
« Reply #73 on: August 09, 2009, 02:39:19 AM »
I'll be going to the Decade of Smackdown tv taping in Boston next month. That should be an interesting event.

Matt Young

« Reply #74 on: August 09, 2009, 06:14:32 AM »
RedJed scored us 7th row tickets to TNA Bound For Glory in October.  That should be a great show.  Hopefully Sting does in fact have his retirement match there and then.

Offline RedJed

• Rasslin' Rambler
« Reply #75 on: August 09, 2009, 07:34:43 AM »
RedJed scored 7th row tickets to TNA Bound For Glory in October.  That should be a great show.  Hopefully Sting does in fact have his retirement match there and then.

And I'm hoping there is some other shows lined up around that weekend from other promotions, specifically PWG.

I'm still blown away by how weak ticket sales has been for this Bound for Glory show.....I had to wait until last night to even get the tickets I wanted to (lower level with the ring right in front of us) since TNA hadn't sold any tickets in the lower level from the stage to about ringside yet.

Matt Young

« Reply #76 on: August 09, 2009, 04:01:01 PM »
I met Marty Elias at the EWF show and he gave me a custom guitar pick!

Offline Venkman

• Dr Venkman PhD
  • You don't know me and you don't have to know me
« Reply #77 on: August 09, 2009, 04:03:52 PM »
Is that why they turfed him? Bootleg WWE guitar pick merchandise?

Offline Big Green

• The King of the Mountain
« Reply #78 on: August 09, 2009, 04:08:00 PM »
Is that why they turfed him? Bootleg WWE guitar pick merchandise?

Not just bootleg WWE guitar pick merchandise but bootleg WWE merchandise with his name on it. If the name on it was just "Generic Referee #5," he might've only gotten a suspension.

Offline RedJed

• Rasslin' Rambler
« Reply #79 on: August 16, 2009, 08:37:43 AM »
Went to a Smackdown/ECW house show here in Mankato last night.....was probably around 1,500 to 2,000 people there, if even that. Filled about 1/3 of the arena, so the crowd was sparse. For the most part it was a hot crowd, and tons of families with kids for sure. Security was so lax and lazy that they didn't even care or check our tickets.......got some free comps through the radio station and they were for upper level. We ended up just walking down to ringside and got 10th row seats with no hassle. The show felt like a definate "B" show, if not even a "C" show since hardly any stars were really there, the matches felt rushed for the most part (with a few exceptions), and the announcer seemed more interested in just promoting hard that the Raw crew is going to be in St. Paul for another house show in a few weeks, headlined by Cena/Orton. Compared to the TNA house show I saw back in March, this was complete shit. But it was free so I can't complain.

Opener was Finlay/Knox, nothing special at all, although it got the crowd going.

Next was Kozlov/Jimmy Yang, very short and not very good, although Yang tried his best to carry him.

They then did a women's tag match with the Bellas (who are incredibly hot in person) against Melina and Maria. Not a bad match by women's standards really. Melina looks a big "HGHy" in person for some reason, never noticed that before when I saw her work matches live in person. Anyway Melina won the match for the team.

Then came Dolph Ziggler v. Truth, which was an interesting match that definitely showcased that they are behind Ziggler right now. He was pulling all of the oldschool heel stalling tactics for at least the first 10 minutes, if not more. Felt like all in all, this match went a good 25 minutes or so, and most of it was Ziggler trying to rile the crowd up by his chickenshit heel stuff. Funny deal before the match.....Truth is coming to the ring from the side of the arena like he usually does, but the spotlight couldnt find him so it made for a weird situation that hardly anyone knew WHERE he was coming from until he got down to ringside. Anyway, once the match really got going, it was pretty good. Ziggler ended up winning clean.

Cryme Tyme/Eve Torres v. Hard Dynasty/Natalia was next. Eve needs alot of work in the ring, but otherwise everyone worked hard here, but it was a pretty short match with nothing really to mention as memorable. The babyface team got the win.

Match of the night was Morrison/Punk, to no surprise. Punk wasn't getting a whole lot of heel heat, and even heard a few chants of his name at times in the match. Crowd was definately split on who to cheer for, but Punk was trying to change that by working as a heel really strong. Nice little chain sequence to lead to the G2S, giving Punk the win.

Then came the ECW title four way match, which was, again, pretty short, between Christian/Regal/Dreamer/Benjamin. This was also a pretty solid match, though. Just wish it had more time to develop. Christian ended up pinning Shelton for the win.

Then came the god awful main event of Khali/Kane in a f'n lumberjack match. No doubt, the worst main event I've ever seen live. Match went only about 5 minutes and it was painful to sit through. Pretty much just turned into great unintentional comedy since Khali was just a mess and Kane wasn't much better. Ziggler got involved in the finish by trying to attack Khali, but it backfired and then Khali got Kane in a horrible looking tree slam and that was it. After the match, Khali danced in the ring with Cryme Tyme and Truth for some reason. Huge dissapointment that the show ended like this.

Offline AntiLeaf33

« Reply #80 on: August 16, 2009, 09:13:48 AM »
What a bizarre main event for a house show.

Offline RedJed

• Rasslin' Rambler
« Reply #81 on: August 16, 2009, 09:15:57 AM »
What a bizarre main event for a house show.

Tell me about it! It fuckin sucked.

Online Bernie Bro Kamala

• CXF Writer
« Reply #82 on: August 16, 2009, 09:23:22 AM »
Hah- there was a house show I almost went to last summer with a main event of Mark Henry Vs Matt Hardy. I guess the era of the C show has returned...

Offline Big Green

« Reply #83 on: August 19, 2009, 06:10:50 AM »
Just purchased tickets for the 10th Anniversary edition of SmackDown in Boston. My first wrestling show in New England and my first TV taping since the August 20, 2007 RAW in Fayetteville, NC.

First live event since the show I went to last month in Florence, SC, one of the worst shows with one of the worst crowds I've ever seen in my life. I expect SmackDown in Boston to deliver though.

Offline The ghost of bps21

• Wade the Duck says: Your brush with Greatness is OVER!
« Reply #84 on: August 19, 2009, 06:14:27 AM »
Why didn't they just put Punk and Morisson on last at that house show?

Just have Punk come out and bury Hardy for not being there and saying that since he (Punk) will be champion again after Summerslam he would be wrestling in the main event where he belonged.

Easy.  Gets heat.  You can even have Morisson win if you want because house shows don't matter and you send the crowd home happy.

It's not even hard to do their jobs.  And yet both companies fail at the most basic things so often.

Online Bernie Bro Kamala

• CXF Writer
« Reply #85 on: August 19, 2009, 06:44:05 AM »
It's cause for---well, basically the entire existence of the WWWF/WWF/WWE (at least since The Hogan era), WWE has been all about sending fans home happy during house shows. If it means putting on a shitty gimmick match with two mid-carders because you don't want your top heel to go over at the end than so be it!

Matt Young

« Reply #86 on: August 22, 2009, 05:48:12 AM »
I'm leaving in 45 minutes to go see the XPW anniversary show and Foley at the Improv.

Matt Young

« Reply #87 on: August 22, 2009, 06:02:29 PM »
Man, today was nuts.  That XPW show was brutal in the best possible way.  I got hit in the face with glass after a light tube explosion; the floor was a mess of glass, barbed wire and blood.  There were people going through barbed wire tables, jumping off balconies... all kinds of crazy shit.

On the way to the Improv, I saw Christopher Daniels on the sidewalk (we were in the car) and said hey.  He responded and gave us his trademark hand sign.  Inside the Improv, we were surrounded by wrestlers from the XPW show, porn stars, Barry Blaustein of Beyond the Mat fame, former WWE writer Dave Lagana, and others.  Brian Kendrick was there, too.  We got to meet Colt Cabana and Joey Ryan after the show, plus the other comedians besides Foley.  Foley and Cabana were great.  Foley even had Craig Robinson come up and play the piano while Foley sung a song about people who have been featured in the "Bang My Wife" porn series.

All in all, a great day.  Now on to WWE Fan Axxess and SummerSlam tomorrow!

Matt Young

« Reply #88 on: August 27, 2009, 06:21:45 AM »
I posted my SummerSlam pics in the SS thread, but here's a link to my XPW pictures:

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y215/MattYoung/XPW%2010th%20Anniversary%20Show/

Offline Big Green

« Reply #89 on: September 08, 2009, 04:24:55 AM »
I wanted to bump this to mention the absurd amount of shows WWE runs up here in New England.

There's a RAW taping on November 2nd in Worcester, MA and I'm seriously considering considering going there in addition to the Boston SD taping I'm going to on the September 29th. There's also RAW on the 28th in Albany, NY (about a 3 hour drive from here) but I'd never make it.

What a great place to live if you're a wrestling fan.

Offline RedJed

• Rasslin' Rambler
« Reply #90 on: October 11, 2009, 03:27:25 PM »
Went to a pretty good TNA house show this afternoon in Mankato here. The way it was timed it was actually perfect for a MN sports fan since the Vikings rout of the Rams ended at about 3pm or a little after, the house show started at 4 (right on time too) and ended right around 6 exactly, right before the Twins game started. So while it wasn't a very long show, everyone worked really hard and it didn't really drag much whatsoever. It was the complete opposite of the WWE Smackdown/ECW house show they had in this same arena here two months ago, which consisted of more typical C show "phoning it in" matches and zero interaction with the crowd (except Ziggler and Truth) having a good match on that card. Otherwise the rest of the matches sucked (particularly a horrible Khali/Kane lumberjack match I try to always forget about) as the main event of that mediocre card. I talked about it in another spot of this thread. Here with the TNA show, the main event was Samoa Joe (without any of the goofy face paint) against Styles which was a pretty damn stiff and fast paced match that kind of ended out of nowhere (so if anything, the match ended too short) whereas that Kane/Khali shit went far too long and had some of the weakest looking offense from both.

Had front row ringside and had a blast. Most of the guys were talking to us at ringside alot, Homicide even noting that he felt like shit, hungover as hell from the night before. Yet he worked hard in an awesome four way match w/ Daniels, Sabin, and Shelley (match of the night for sure). Heard alot of spots being called in every match since the crowd was maybe estimated at 400-500, and most of the crowd was pretty quiet in spots one would expect if they were familiar with TNA in general, with alot of kids and it seemed like ALOT of the crowd who didn't even know who most of the workers were. My guess is that because of that, alot of comps probably were handed out as well since I had scored four comps and four meet and greets through one of the radio stations without even really trying, and already had front row seats beforehand that I had paid for on top of it.

During intermission, we got to go behind the curtain and meet a handful of the roster. Hernandez, Sabin, Shelley, Daniels were all there just standing around so you could go up and bullshit with them or get a photo/autograph if you wanted. ODB ended up showing up too. And sitting on the side of the arena just kicking back was D-Lo Brown, so we ended up going to talk to him for a bit (they only let us back there a few minutes or so). Really nice guy, back with TNA as a road agent who said something to the effect that he enjoys helping everyone lay out the matches more than work them right now because he's got a bad back. Told me he definately won't be back in ROH because he's back with TNA as an agent (even though he enjoyed the work he did there), but that's too be expected. But the overall strong card of this house show probably had alot to do with him in a way since he admitted he helped everyone lay out their matches on this show. Daniels was cool too, remembered when Matt Young and I ran into him before the Foley comedy show in August out in LA. Didnt talk to Hernandez or Shelley/Sabin much since we weren't back there long, but they were all real humble and appreciative when I mentioned how solid their respective matches were, as I shook their hands.

Hernandez over Eric Young- quick but heavy hitting, Young and Hernandez did some good brawling around the ring and good back and forth, ending with what I thought was going to be the border toss, but turned into his dropdown faceplant finisher. Good strong opening match reaction to Hernandez.

Homicide v. Daniels v. Sabin v. Shelley - really fast paced action from start to finish, ppv calibur stuff. Sabin won after Shelley head kicked Homicide, who was on Sabin's shoulders, leading into a Sabin cradle shock for the finish. One of the better matches I've ever seen for a standard house show really. After the match, Homicide tried to rile up the crowd by wishing good luck to the Yankees against the Twins.

ODB over Madison Rayne - Mostly comedy with the girls doing a goofy spanking spot with the ref. Probably Madison Rayne's best TNA match Ive ever seen, she worked hard and played up her Beautiful People role up alot more than I've ever seen her do so far, working the crowd more than normal to get heat. ODB was really over, being from the state. Not nearly as dull of a match as one may expect. Crowd really liked it. Given they worked the weekend against each other already, that seemed to help.

Beer Money over British Invasion - probably the loudest heel heat for Invasion than anyone on the show. They tried singing the UK anthem before the match. Good back and forth action with everyone working hard once again.

Matt Morgan over Bashir - Morgan has a hell of a charismatic presence given his height and size. He got over huge, easily to the level of Styles, if not more. What I figured was going to be a glorified squash ended up being rather competitive with Bashir working the knees of Morgan for most of the match. Really strong babyface comeback by Morgan leading to the wheelkick finish. Bashir appeared to be a little slow in there, perhaps a nagging injury as I saw him grabbing the shoulder a bit.

Styles over Samoa Joe to retain the TNA title - both guys went pretty stiff early and often and worked a solid 8 to 10 minute match that did, however, seem to end out of nowhere with the pele kick to Joe for the pin. Seemed like the crowd was just starting to get into it good when the finish came. Alot of the expected Joe/Styles spots for fans of their previous matches, such as the AJ taking the bump on the ring apron after getting his legs taken out from under him from a stiff Joe kick. Joe wasnt wearing any of the silly face paint anymore which was a nice change and seemed to bring back alot of old stiffness we always saw from him before.

Borash announced to the crowd they will try to return to the area soon for a pay per view (more than likely Minneapolis), which he hinted to me may be early next year after the show when everyone was interacting with the crowd. I think if they did get a pay per view up here, especially in the Twin Cities, it would sell well as any word of mouth from fans who went to this show (or apparently any of them from the weekend given the reports) would bring people from other parts of the state, as well as the actual Minneapolis/St Paul crowd. TNA did their first Minnesota house show back in March in Rochester which I also attended, and both that one and the Mankato show today were equally as strong. They're starting to establish a good following here in the Midwest and I hope they don't give up on it.

I'll be heading to Bound for Glory next weekend in Irvine as well to see the next live show on TNA's schedule - this was a great lead-in to it

Ill be posting pictures and videos of the matches in a little bit.

Offline grapeswasmurdered

• Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #91 on: October 11, 2009, 03:36:29 PM »
Well they do say they're going to do a ppv soon at every place they go to, they even said it here in Abbotsford, BC.

Offline RedJed

• Rasslin' Rambler
« Reply #92 on: October 11, 2009, 03:45:08 PM »
Well they do say they're going to do a ppv soon at every place they go to, they even said it here in Abbotsford, BC.

According to the reports of the weekend, not a peep about that at either the La Crosse, WI or St Cloud, MN house shows though. That's why I noted he mentioned it, and even made a big deal of it a bit by saying about midway through the show that there was a "big announcement" to make after the show was done. And that was apparently what it was. Actually gave the impression they were maybe going to come back to Mankato for an actual pay per view, but then said to me personally after the match out at ringside during the meet and greet that they were considering a few spots in Minneapolis/St Paul for the January ppv, which I think is Genesis if I am remembering their ppv schedule right. That show usually is the on the road ppv of the first three months, until they go on the road again with Lockdown. So I don't think he was bullshitting this one, but who knows.

Offline RedJed

• Rasslin' Rambler
« Reply #93 on: October 11, 2009, 04:20:24 PM »
Got a handful of videos (Hernandez and Morgan's finishes, part of the four way match, and Styles win) and a bunch of pics here, if you notice, TNA brought their own ringlights (more like floodlights) that go on the sides of ringside, and it fucks up trying to take quality pictures severely.

http://s661.photobucket.com/albums/uu338/redjed/tnamankato/

Here are the "gems" of the set

Spoiler: show

Offline RedJed

• Rasslin' Rambler
« Reply #94 on: December 03, 2009, 04:14:29 PM »
In a strange irony of sorts, WWE had scheduled a Raw house show on this upcoming January 10 here in Mankato (same location they did a Smackdown house show in August and that lowest attended TNA house show ever in October) but ended up canceling it due to low ticket sales. So they end up moving that show to Rochester's Mayo Civic Center (where I grew up when I was much younger), another arena that I've seen alot of shows at in the past (including the last few years of the AWA taped for ESPN) so I was probably going to go check it out. They announced locally a main event of DX v. Orton/Show, so it seems to potentially indicate DX might get the titles at the ppv.

But now WWE has also scheduled a Smackdown house show in my former homecity of Duluth, MN on this same day as well. Both shows start at the same time. The strange irony about it? I had or have lived at these three different cities throughout my life. Just found it odd that they all were (or in this case, two still are) booked for house shows on the same day.

Now trying to debate to which show to check out, and I'm starting to lean more towards the Smackdown show in Duluth on January 10 instead of the Raw house show in Rochester. The next night is Raw in Minneapolis at Target Center so I will be checking that out too.

The Smackdown show has Taker/Batista and Jericho/Rey as semi-main events, and also Christian/Ezekial. This seems like a really solid lineup for a house show, assuming these matches actually happen, though. Rest of the lineup is below.

http://www.decc.org/cms/files/WWE.pdf

Offline foleyfanforever88

« Reply #95 on: December 03, 2009, 04:44:35 PM »

Offline timmy8271

« Reply #96 on: December 03, 2009, 04:56:22 PM »
Got my tickets for the Smackdown/ECW taping on December 20th. Should be a good card with the dark match main event of Punk vs Taker vs Batista.

I also plan on going to a show on Saturday with such stars as The Boogeyman, Shane douglas, Jerry Lynn, 2 Cold Scropio, Manny Fernandez, Big Vito Balls Mahoney and The Hardcore Legend Nic Foley. Yes I said Nic as it's a guy doing a rip off Mick Foley gimmick. Too bad Axl Rotten is in rehab cause they were going to do a Axl vs Balls 2/3 falls match.

Online strummer

« Reply #97 on: December 03, 2009, 10:46:31 PM »
going to the Dec. 26 House Show in Albany

Cena v Big Show and Kofi/HHH v Orton/Dibiase/Rhodes are the listed main events

not exactly an appealing line up (tag should be good though) but I love going to House Shows

Online Nymyzys

• TRTSM's Color Commentator
« Reply #98 on: January 16, 2010, 04:24:28 PM »
Saw a Smackdown/ECW show tonight.  Here are some highlights:

Mike Knox vs Khali - shockingly acceptable wrestling from both.  Not great, but not horrible.  Khali wins with the Khali bomb.

Hurricane vs "Intense" Vance Archer - Way too much kiddy shit from Hurricane.  Archer wins with the snap reverse DDT.

The Hart Dynasty attacked the Hurricane when he was making his way to the back.  Jimmy Wang Yang and Slam Master J ran down for the save, leading us to....

The Hart Dynasty vs Slam Master J and Jimmy Wang Yang - HOLY SHIT VERTEBREAKER ON TYSON KIDD FROM J, AND THE FUCKER KICKS OUT!!!!!  That little shock aside, it was a fun tag match.  J and Yang are disgustingly underrated performers.  Dynasty wins with a neckbreaker off the top rope from Kidd onto J.

CM Punk and Luke Gallows save a planted fan in the front row

Tiffany comes out and gives us.......
William Regal (thought he wasn't getting anymore title shots?) vs Christian for the ECW Title - OK match with too much stalling from both.  You can tell Christian loves his position as champion, and he took lots of time with the fans around ringside.  Christian sidesteps the Knee Trembler, and hits the Killswitch.

Drew Mcintyre vs R-Truth for the Intercontinental Title - Good enough match.  Drew wins with his Underhook Driver thing.

Mickie James vs Michelle McCool for the Women's Title - Michelle McCool is nice to look at, don't get me wrong, but she can't fucking wrestle to save her life.  This borderlined on disaster many times.  McCool won after a distraction from Beth Phoenix led to Mickie James walking into the weakest big boot in the recorded history of mankind.

CM Punk, Batista and Chris Jericho vs Matt Hardy, Kane and Undertaker - Guys had a lot of fun with this one.  Batista is such an awesome dick heel.  Gave a lady the finger at ringside for giving him a thumbs down, but got the second loudest pop of the night behind Taker.  Match end with stereo Twist of Fate to Punk and Kane Chokeslam to Jericho.  Hardy, Kane and Taker all do the fist in the sir pose at the entry way to send everyone home.

Overall a fun show made even better due to scoring free tickets. 

Top Pops
Undertaker
Batista
Kane
Matt Hardy
Chris Jericho(!?)

Top Heat
CM Punk
Drew McIntyre
Mike Knox (!!!)

Offline timmy8271

« Reply #99 on: January 23, 2010, 01:36:11 PM »
Just got back from the FCW show here in Orlando. Pretty fun event with a good atomsphere mostly of Kids and one divas family and friends. Here are the results if I remember them correctly

1. Wes Brisco beat Jimmy Uso
2. Conrad Tanner beat Donny Marlow
3. Johnny Prime and Skip Sheffield beat Michael Tarver and Alex Reily
4. Namoi Knight and Serena beat AJ Lee and Aksana
5. Eli Cottonwood beat Alberto Banderas
6. Jimmy Uso beat Titus Oneal
7. Darron Young and Bret Dibiase regained the FCW Tag titles over Curt Hawkins and Jackson Andrews
8. Justin Angel beat Kaval and Heath Slater(with Byron Saxton) to regain the FCW title

The main was pretty good but not as good as the lead into to it. Norman Smiley is the new GM of FCW and he was doing a interview about the main event. This brought out Byron in his heel role. He's so great at it. He convinces Norman to do the BIG WIGGLE. Got to admit I thought of Kamala marking out at this if he was here. Slater and Kaval come out and Norman makes it a 3 way. Funny moment where Kaval kept calling Heath by his real name and you can tell Norman was just pissed at it.

The divas match was awesome mostly cause Namoi is a former member of the Orlando Magic Dance team and the team with her family were there. The place just went crazy for the match. Serena cut a promo for her savior CM Punk.

If you thought that the Bella Twins were the only wrestling Twins, you're wrong. FCW has two Samoan twins. Both are named Jimmy and I think they are Haku's kids

Michael Tarver is awesome and he needs to be brought up now.