Author Topic: TNA Sacrifice Thread, 5/24/09- "All In"  (Read 6593 times)

Description:

Offline RedJed

• Rasslin' Rambler
    • RedJed's Rasslin' Rants - Only on YouTube! The latest in the wild and wacky world of pro wrestling!!
TNA Sacrifice Thread, 5/24/09- "All In"
« Reply #100 on: May 24, 2009, 01:41:47 PM »
That was a goofy somersault on Foley by Angle. Seemed like Foley was just waiting for the chair to fall out on him, major delay there.

Offline HTQ

« Reply #101 on: May 24, 2009, 01:45:02 PM »
Does Foley lose the title if someone else gets pinned?

Offline RedJed

• Rasslin' Rambler
    • RedJed's Rasslin' Rants - Only on YouTube! The latest in the wild and wacky world of pro wrestling!!
« Reply #102 on: May 24, 2009, 01:47:09 PM »
Yup I called that one, Sting beats Angle, Foley still retains though to build to KOTM.

Offline Sabre

« Reply #103 on: May 24, 2009, 01:47:38 PM »
No, Sting just became leader of the MEM

Matt Young

« Reply #104 on: May 24, 2009, 01:47:46 PM »

This has been answered many times.  No.  Each man is sacrificing one thing.  Foley put up his title.

RE: the finish- Well, who didn't see that coming?

Offline "Dot Com" Matt Postin (heel)

• Poster of the Year
« Reply #105 on: May 24, 2009, 01:47:55 PM »
Welp that was certainly a waste of time then

Offline HTQ

« Reply #106 on: May 24, 2009, 01:48:12 PM »
Why didn't Foley just count Sting's pin on Angle earlier? He has the power to do so, right? I thought that had been established.

Offline The Buzz

« Reply #107 on: May 24, 2009, 01:49:02 PM »
man I thought Sting won the belt for a second, enjoyed the match though.

Offline Sabre

« Reply #108 on: May 24, 2009, 01:49:33 PM »
Perhaps he cant when in an active matchup.

Offline Next USC #55

• Back In Style
« Reply #109 on: May 24, 2009, 01:51:32 PM »
So as a result of this match, Sting is the leader of MEM, Foley and Jarrett are still power figures, Angle has nothing. This is different from November '08 how?

Offline RedJed

• Rasslin' Rambler
« Reply #110 on: May 24, 2009, 01:51:49 PM »

Nope, that's what's so stupid about it. That's why Foley wasn't giving a shit when the other three were fighting in the ring and they were doing commentary.

Jarrett being so close to pinning Sting made little sense since why in the hell would he want to retire him? I'd understand Foley doing a move like that, but given the fact that they pulled a swervy booking move (which is a weak ass idea by the way, because I think most people expected a title change to whoever got the pin) by only the title going to whoever could pin Foley, then shouldn't all three of them basically just want to go after him instead of each other? Wow, what a stupid bait and switch deal there by TNA. Very stupid, but I guess it accomplishes the inevitable Sting/Angle blowoff. I would expect the Mafia to break apart, probably Angle/Steiner/Booker and Sting/Nash or something like that. Yawn.

The match itself had some good five minutes or so, but otherwise wasn't much to talk about. Overall, bad showing here, the booking really killed shit out of the gate.

Offline I Know You Like Sugar

• King Cucaracha
« Reply #111 on: May 24, 2009, 01:52:25 PM »
Sting wins the World Title match and doesn't become the champion because he pinned the wrong guy. Perfect.

Offline Sabre

« Reply #112 on: May 24, 2009, 01:53:00 PM »
Why didnt foley just take the belt and go home after the bell rang :S

Offline Next USC #55

• Back In Style
« Reply #113 on: May 24, 2009, 01:54:41 PM »
Remember when people were defending the stipulation after I and a few others made the apparent right call on why the stipulation was dumb?

Offline Big Beard Booty Daddy

• My name's not fucking Warren
  • Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #114 on: May 24, 2009, 01:58:40 PM »

Nope, that's what's so stupid about it. That's why Foley wasn't giving a shit when the other three were fighting in the ring and they were doing commentary.

Jarrett being so close to pinning Sting made little sense since why in the hell would he want to retire him? I'd understand Foley doing a move like that, but given the fact that they pulled a swervy booking move (which is a weak ass idea by the way, because I think most people expected a title change to whoever got the pin) by only the title going to whoever could pin Foley, then shouldn't all three of them basically just want to go after him instead of each other? Wow, what a stupid bait and switch deal there by TNA. Very stupid, but I guess it accomplishes the inevitable Sting/Angle blowoff. I would expect the Mafia to break apart, probably Angle/Steiner/Booker and Sting/Nash or something like that. Yawn.

The match itself had some good five minutes or so, but otherwise wasn't much to talk about. Overall, bad showing here, the booking really killed shit out of the gate.

I'm not defending TNA at all here, because it was a stupid idea, but there was no bait and switch here. A bait an switch would have been if they sad if you pin someone and they lose whatever they put up AND you win the title. It was said from the start that the only way to win the title was to pin Foley. The other put something up to get into the match. The idea that they didn't go after Foley was really dumb, but there was never a bait and switch done there.
2012 TRTSM Fantasy Hockey Champion

Offline RedJed

• Rasslin' Rambler
« Reply #115 on: May 24, 2009, 02:00:45 PM »
IMO there is no defending a dumb swervy booking move there like they did with Foley only losing the belt if he's pinned, not if another person in the multiman match pins another except him, LIKE ANY OTHER NORMAL TITLE MATCH, there is so many holes in the logic of it I don't know where to start. On TV the past month, Foley should have just been playing jokester and not even being concerned about this match, since all he had to do was stay out of the middle of the ring and let the other guys fight it out (which he did ironically enough). And the match itself should have then played up the fact that BECAUSE of the wacky stip of Foley only losing the title if he's actually the one pinned, that he would be target number one in the match by the other three. And that would be a main focus of the match itself when it happened. Instead it was nothing like that, and more than anything I saw Jarrett continously trying to retire Sting. Huh?

Offline Next USC #55

• Back In Style
« Reply #116 on: May 24, 2009, 02:01:54 PM »
In theory, who doesn't want to see:

a. an old semi-retired fat personality losing his championship
b. an old guy retire finally
c. one of the most hated heels in TNA get demoted in his own stable
d. an egomaniac getting pushed out of the company that he started up

People going for pins on others makes sense in that context.

Offline JRE

« Reply #117 on: May 24, 2009, 02:02:24 PM »
I didn't watch the show ad don't follow TNA very actively- but I don't see this stipulation as anything hard to understand.  Each wrestler in the match had to decide what they valued more.  Did they want to become champion?  Retire Sting?  Take JJ's power away?  Ultimately, Sting settled on taking charge of the MEM.  Why didn't Foley just walk away?  Well, why wouldn't any champion just walk away from a match and be counted out?  If anything, Foley had even more incentive to be in the match since he could gain more power if he could pin Angle or Jarrett- or retire a rival if he pinned Sting.  

Offline Next USC #55

• Back In Style
« Reply #118 on: May 24, 2009, 02:04:50 PM »
I didn't watch the show ad don't follow TNA very actively- but I don't see this stipulation as anything hard to understand.  Each wrestler in the match had to decide what they valued more.  Did they want to become champion?  Retire Sting?  Take JJ's power away?  Ultimately, Sting settled on taking charge of the MEM.  Why didn't follow just walk away?  Well, why wouldn't any champion just walk away from a match and be counted out?  If anything, Foley had even more incentive to be in the match since he could gain more power if he could pin Angle or Jarrett- or retire a rival if he pinned Sting.  

Foley said the thing that mattered the most to him was keeping the belt. So avoiding the match was the right move in that sense. Now if only it was explained to the audience beforehand and booked so that the other three chased Foley around.

Offline JRE

« Reply #119 on: May 24, 2009, 02:07:21 PM »
I didn't watch the show ad don't follow TNA very actively- but I don't see this stipulation as anything hard to understand.  Each wrestler in the match had to decide what they valued more.  Did they want to become champion?  Retire Sting?  Take JJ's power away?  Ultimately, Sting settled on taking charge of the MEM.  Why didn't follow just walk away?  Well, why wouldn't any champion just walk away from a match and be counted out?  If anything, Foley had even more incentive to be in the match since he could gain more power if he could pin Angle or Jarrett- or retire a rival if he pinned Sting.  

Foley said the thing that mattered the most to him was keeping the belt. So avoiding the match was the right move in that sense. Now if only it was explained to the audience beforehand and booked so that the other three chased Foley around.

How does Foley only wanting to keep the belt warrant the other three chasing him around?  It could still be important to Sting to take control of the MEM....or for Angle to take Jarrett's power away?  Even if these were just hidden motives.  

Offline RedJed

• Rasslin' Rambler
« Reply #120 on: May 24, 2009, 02:09:54 PM »

How does Foley only wanting to keep the belt warrant the other three chasing him around?  It could still be important to Sting to take control of the MEM....or for Angle to take Jarrett's power away?  Even if these were just hidden motives.  

Because he should have been acting like he had it easier in this match than a normal four way match for the title, where he could lose the title even if he wasn't pinned by someone. Thus, when Jarrett first told him the stipulation, Foley should have brushed it off as no big deal to retain the title as long as he kept dodging bullets in the match, instead of actually having to pin someone to retain his title in a normal four way match.

Offline Next USC #55

• Back In Style
« Reply #121 on: May 24, 2009, 02:11:14 PM »
Why bill the match as a World championship match then if the title isn't even a motive for the other three to wrestle in a match for? Sting taking control of MEM or pushing Jarrett out of TNA are valid motives but they gave up something to be in the match. The match was made to begin with as the title match offering. You don't give up something that important to you if the title isn't as important to you.

Offline JRE

« Reply #122 on: May 24, 2009, 02:13:57 PM »
The championship definitely wasn't a non-motive...it just turned out that it wasn't the only motive.

Offline RedJed

• Rasslin' Rambler
« Reply #123 on: May 24, 2009, 02:14:53 PM »
Anyway regarding the whole show, definately didn't live up to the potential of the matches on paper. Bit of a letdown for sure. That may be seriously understating things. Thank god there was a few good matches, but the rest was hurt more by the booking than anything. The deal in the main event annoyed me to no end, because they didn't emphasize this as being the case with Foley needing to be pinned to lose his title up until the actual match, thus feeling a bit baited and switched in that it wasn't even really a true world title match. It was like a conditional title match. A few other matches had some controversial booking to say the least. That finish in the I Quit match was just ridiculous. And the state of things in Nash/Joe gives flashbacks of so many times in the past we've seen guys like Hogan and Nash "do the job" and "put a guy over" but in reality, its the farthest thing from it. It's more a joke than anything. What Joe/Nash was, to me, appeared to be was a double turn by the end of the match.

Oh and for next month, guess it's a seven man KOTM match since it's Slammiversary Seven. So I would guess these four, Joe, Styles, and either Booker, Steiner, or Nash? I'm betting Booker v. Nash at the next ppv, which leaves Steiner as the guy to take the seventh spot in all likelihood. Or they could put in Lashley in there, etc.

Offline JRE

« Reply #124 on: May 24, 2009, 02:19:34 PM »
The championship definitely wasn't a non-motive...it just turned out that it wasn't the only motive.

At least I'd assume that's the explanation they use.  That's all.

Offline Next USC #55

• Back In Style
« Reply #125 on: May 24, 2009, 02:22:09 PM »

At least I'd assume that's the explanation they use.  That's all.

It doesn't really matter at this point. They just killed the title tonight, basically. It'll require a strongly booked run by the next guy to restore the title's image. Think about it. Sting, having lost the belt to Mick Foley the previous month, has deemed it more prestigious/important to take control of the M.E.M. than to return to his status as World Champion. That's the only way to explain his actions.

Offline JRE

« Reply #126 on: May 24, 2009, 02:30:47 PM »
That's true- unless Sting figures it'd be easier to get another title shot than a shot at Angle's godfather thingy. 

I typically find it hard to follow all the TNA story line twists and turns.  (especially when they bring in people without contracts who disappear soon after with no explanation)

Offline Next USC #55

• Back In Style
« Reply #127 on: May 24, 2009, 02:33:23 PM »
That's true- unless Sting figures it'd be easier to get another title shot than a shot at Angle's godfather thingy. 

I typically find it hard to follow all the TNA story line twists and turns.  (especially when they bring in people without contracts who disappear soon after with no explanation)

At the very least, if he's going to junk the title, GO FOR THE TNA CONTROL! That should supersede a heel stable and a world championship. And it would fit with Sting getting tired of Jarrett trying to pin him repeatedly.

Offline Amy pats fan

• P dot Roy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • hashtag trashbag
« Reply #128 on: May 24, 2009, 02:51:21 PM »
Sting winning should lead to the end of the main event mafia.  I would expect him to call the other guys out and disband the group, plus they've already got a Booker/Nash feud on tap.

Otherwise, winning control of a stable in a match is stupid, because it isn't a tangible thing like a title or an authority position in the company.  Especially when the stable consists of Kevin Nash, Booker T and Scott Steiner, all of whom are strong personalities who should be capable of making their own decisions.  Just because Sting pins Angle they're all supposed to follow him and do what he says?  That's retarded, and if they wanted Sting to be their leader they could have sided with him when, you know, he was a member of the stable and having a power struggle with Angle.

Only thing that makes sense is this being the end of the MEM.

Offline Next USC #55

• Back In Style
« Reply #129 on: May 24, 2009, 03:04:42 PM »
Which is more important to Sting than being something of an owner of TNA (which in that position grants the ability to end the M.E.M. and much more) or being the World Champion and the example that all should follow?

Offline Amy pats fan

• P dot Roy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • hashtag trashbag
« Reply #130 on: May 24, 2009, 03:06:31 PM »
This is Sting we're talking about, the guy who let himself get duped by Ric Flair a half dozen times and spent a year being completely emo because people thought he was going to join the nWo

THIS....IS....STING

Offline LuckyLopez

« Reply #131 on: May 24, 2009, 03:13:25 PM »
That's how I interpret it.  Sting saw an opportunity to get Angle out of his power position, one he's opposed for quite awhile now.  It didn't require a fight or a war or any more of what he's been through.  Just a pin.  The title is important to him but he'll get another shot, probably in a month at KotM.  This may have been his one chance to oust Angle.

Which isn't to say that the whole match idea wasn't screwy.  Just that Sting wanting to get Angle out of power or maybe Angle wanting to get JJ out of power do seem to make SOME sense to me for their characters.  As opposed to the aforementioned instance of Jarrett pinning Sting which seemed to make no sense as that accomplishes nothing JJ's set out to do (that we know of).  

I thought the show was solid enough on the wrestling.  The opener was fun, the tag final was good, I liked both women's matches even if they were short, and I thought AJ/Booker was solid.  Daniels/Suicide was really disjointed.  World title match was ok.  But bad endings were pretty regular with Daniels pulling a Sting level bit of stupidity by not only handing the belt back to Suicide but then imposing a time limit on the match that wasn't there in the first place.  Survivor Chick tossing in the towel when there was no clear reason why she even would be able to.  Something I don't really care about in the match but its stupid to end a decent match between two wrestlers (for a title) in a screwy way to advance a story with 2 non-wrestlers no one cares about.  And the screwy world title situation.  I don't feel like I wasted my 3 hours or anything and I don't feel like TNA shot themselves in the foot or put a clunker out... but I also don't have much to talk about and besides the opener and maybe the women's title match (because I love Angelina Love's cowardly act) I can't see myself rewatching any of it.

Offline 2GOLD

« Reply #132 on: May 24, 2009, 03:36:12 PM »
This is Sting we're talking about, the guy who let himself get duped by Ric Flair a half dozen times and spent a year being completely emo because people thought he was going to join the nWo

THIS....IS....STING

This is the perfect explanation and the only one needed. Sting has never proven himself to be the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Offline LuckyLopez

« Reply #133 on: May 24, 2009, 03:48:07 PM »
I have followed Sting for 15 years and gone back and enjoyed more of his stuff.  He was one of my favorites and still one of the biggest legends in my mind.  At this stage if Sting makes a decision that doesn't at least make me scratch my head and question his logic I find it to be grossly out of character. 

Offline Psycho Penguin

• Mitch Richmond > Michael Jordan
    • Twitter
« Reply #134 on: May 24, 2009, 03:49:46 PM »
As opposed to the aforementioned instance of Jarrett pinning Sting which seemed to make no sense as that accomplishes nothing JJ's set out to do (that we know of). 

Well, he wouldn't LOSE anything then. That's the only thing I can think of.

Offline LuckyLopez

« Reply #135 on: May 24, 2009, 04:18:52 PM »
True, but if that's the case JJ accomplishes the same thing by staying out of the ring like Foley did.  Really, that strategy only REALLY makes sense from Foley's standpoint.  Foley was the one who didn't maneuver his way into the match so it makes sense that he's happy walking away with no gain or loss.  Angle, Sting, and Jarrett all leveraged important things to get Foley's title so for any of them to suddenly decide they're happy just walking away seems silly since they could have accomplished the same by simply not entering the match in the first place. 

Now they do have secondary goals so it makes SOME sense for them to make other moves.  Sting has been been fighting with Angle over the direction of the Mafia for months so it makes sense that he'd at least consider taking leadership from Angle.  Angle and Sting have conflicted with Jarrett so it makes some sense that they'd consider taking power from him, not to mention that it would give THEM power and greed is a fine motivator.  Jarrett may even decide that getting Angle out of power and maybe ending the Mafia is a worthwhile result of the match given all the trouble he's had with them.  But what does he gain from retiring Sting?  The only real logical conclusions are that he's a bit of a dick and wants to retire Sting, that he suddenly became a coward and as you suggested wanted to just protect himself, or that he just plain didn't get the rules of the match. 

Really, "Jarrett pins Sting" was really the only one I don't think I could rationalize no matter how hard I tried.  "Sting pins Jarrett" would take some work as I don't see Sting as that malicious or power hungry.  But I can buy into these wrestlers seeing greater gains than the title, based on the basic fact that title shots are easier to come by than these other ends.  Especially a month before KotM (which TNA's website seems to suggest will include 7 men instead of the usual 5 this year).  So Sting, Jarrett, and Angle all have a good shot at getting another title shot.  Hell, Jarrett has the power to give himself one presumably and whoever won the match would logically come out the #1 contender.    But that's all based on the idea of using the characters to draw motivations, and JJ's existing character just has no motivation to want to retire Sting.

I know, that was long.  Sorry.  I tend to strangely get wordier as I get tired.

Offline FroGG_NeaLL

• Spectacular Shirtless Rapping
  • CXF Writer
  • WIT DA GREATEST OF EASE
« Reply #136 on: May 24, 2009, 04:47:30 PM »
I have followed Sting for 15 years and gone back and enjoyed more of his stuff.  He was one of my favorites and still one of the biggest legends in my mind.  At this stage if Sting makes a decision that doesn't at least make me scratch my head and question his logic I find it to be grossly out of character. 

"The only thing that's for sure about Sting... Is nothin's for sure!"

Offline AlaskanHero

« Reply #137 on: May 24, 2009, 05:42:58 PM »
Am I wrong in thinking the match would've made more sense from a stipulation standpoint if instead of putting his title up, Foley put his stock on the line? So if he got pinned, the stock would revert to TNA or whoever made the pin. Then throw in a "whoever wins is #1 contender for Mick's title" stipulation.

Offline "Dot Com" Matt Postin (heel)

• Poster of the Year
« Reply #138 on: May 24, 2009, 05:50:44 PM »
Really, "Jarrett pins Sting" was really the only one I don't think I could rationalize no matter how hard I tried. 

Jeff Jarrett is dickhead.

Offline I Know You Like Sugar

• King Cucaracha
« Reply #139 on: May 25, 2009, 12:00:20 AM »
But I can buy into these wrestlers seeing greater gains than the title, based on the basic fact that title shots are easier to come by than these other ends.  Especially a month before KotM (which TNA's website seems to suggest will include 7 men instead of the usual 5 this year).  So Sting, Jarrett, and Angle all have a good shot at getting another title shot.  Hell, Jarrett has the power to give himself one presumably and whoever won the match would logically come out the #1 contender.

The problem with that is, they've spent the past four weeks of TV hyping that Sting put his career on the line just to get a shot at the World Title, Angle put his MEM leadership on the line just to get a shot at the title. The point being the title was the GREATEST gain. Otherwise, why risk anything to go after it? So why would Sting risk his career to get a World Title shot, only to turn around and say "actually, you know what, I'll pin Angle instead, there's always next month!"

Offline Sabre

« Reply #140 on: May 25, 2009, 12:11:23 AM »
Perhaps he figured that with him leading the MEM he can force them to help him win the title at any cost.

Offline The Buzz

« Reply #141 on: May 25, 2009, 05:11:48 AM »
Perhaps in character he was tired saw Angle and Jarrett both down and said screw this i'm not gonna drag Foley's fatass into the ring....I'm taking the pin while everyone is down before I end up getting screwed out of my career.

Offline LuckyLopez

« Reply #142 on: May 25, 2009, 07:08:36 AM »
But I can buy into these wrestlers seeing greater gains than the title, based on the basic fact that title shots are easier to come by than these other ends.  Especially a month before KotM (which TNA's website seems to suggest will include 7 men instead of the usual 5 this year).  So Sting, Jarrett, and Angle all have a good shot at getting another title shot.  Hell, Jarrett has the power to give himself one presumably and whoever won the match would logically come out the #1 contender.

The problem with that is, they've spent the past four weeks of TV hyping that Sting put his career on the line just to get a shot at the World Title, Angle put his MEM leadership on the line just to get a shot at the title. The point being the title was the GREATEST gain. Otherwise, why risk anything to go after it? So why would Sting risk his career to get a World Title shot, only to turn around and say "actually, you know what, I'll pin Angle instead, there's always next month!"
I agree that the buildup was bad.  I think when it really comes down to that THAT was the problem with this match.  The match is kind of interesting on paper with 4 separate "prizes" all on the line and lots of different motivations in theory.  But as you said, they never really played on this on Impact.  The entire build was about the title and what the individual was "sacrificing."  What they should have done was spend Thursday having JB present the OTHER scenarios to the wrestlers.

"Sting, you could become the leader of the Mafia and haven't you been struggling with power with Kurt?"
"Kurt, all those problems with Sting undermining your authority in the Mafia could in theory end on Sunday.  Or you could pin Jarrett.  How powerful would you be as leader of the Mafia AND with Jeff's voting rights?"
"Jeff, I know you want to stop Foley but has it occurred to you that you have a chance to stop Angle?  For as bad as Foley's been the last couple of months lets not forget that Angle's been a problem for a LONG time and is the reason you came back to TNA."

They should have presented all these scenarios to us logically and shown that the individuals have in character reasons to choose them over the title.  But they didn't.  Leadership of the Mafia and Jarrett's power ARE big deals in storyline that could easily be presented as on par with the title.  But TNA didn't do the leg work and most of us didn't even understand the match's rules going in.  Meanwhile the only "sacrifice" that was obviously a big deal was Sting's retirement, yet its the one that least fits the scenario since none of the other 3 really have any great reason to want to retire to Sting. 

TNA screwed up.  The got obsessed with the word play of "sacrifice" and failed to point out that the "sacrifices" were actually prizes.