Author Topic: The Sopranos: Rewatch  (Read 28810 times)

Description: He killed 16 Czechoslovakians

Online Firmino of the 909

• Admin
Re: The Sopranos: Rewatch
« Reply #200 on: January 10, 2013, 05:10:49 PM »
I know, but was the guy dumb enough to say that in front of one of his co-workers? I doubt it

koab [8:27 PM]
damn i thought you guys were good little cucks who would shit themselfs so a POC could peacefully protest

Offline JAxlMorrison

« Reply #201 on: January 12, 2013, 11:38:11 AM »
due to this thread, I have watched several eps on HBO GO, including Soprano Home Movies, The Ride, Kennedy and Heidi, Chasing It, and Fleshy Part Of The thigh. To me, it has maybe th highest research factor of any show ever. There's always something new to see, a new angle to watch from, great dialogue you've forgotten. I still have a few of the recaps to go but I just wanted to say thanks for thread. Great stuff.

Offline The King of Trash

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • Your POV

Offline Bladelock

• brock lock
« Reply #203 on: January 12, 2019, 09:18:54 AM »

Paulie Walnuts doesn't sound all there and rambles a lot.  :-\ :'(

At least Uncle Junior is still really funny and quick witted. AJ still looks 15 lol. Edie Falco not remembering the Whitecaps break down scene when everyone was mentioning how great is is, was kind of odd. As was no Bobby, Janice, Johnny Sack, or Adriana. A very interesting fun and interview though.

Offline Zetterberg is Go

« Reply #204 on: January 14, 2019, 01:47:48 AM »
Just watched this actually. I know Tony Sirico is 77 or so now but man did he age a lot, especially in contrast to Robert Iler and Dominic Chianese.

Someone in YouTube comments was saying Drea de Matteo was critical of the show (never really heard this) after she was killed off so probably why she wasn't there. Not sure why those other three weren't though.

Agreed on Edie Falco not really remembering Whitecaps as it is probably one of the greatest pieces of acting in television history. Still very cool to see them reunite, and the Wild Turkey story was hilarious.

Offline Bladelock

• brock lock
« Reply #205 on: January 14, 2019, 01:52:52 AM »
Just watched this actually. I know Tony Sirico is 77 or so now but man did he age a lot, especially in contrast to Robert Iler and Dominic Chianese.

Someone in YouTube comments was saying Drea de Matteo was critical of the show (never really heard this) after she was killed off so probably why she wasn't there. Not sure why those other three weren't though.

Agreed on Edie Falco not really remembering Whitecaps as it is probably one of the greatest pieces of acting in television history. Still very cool to see them reunite, and the Wild Turkey story was hilarious.

I read that Edie actually has never watched the show, so now that makes sense.

Online Firmino of the 909

• Admin
« Reply #206 on: January 22, 2019, 08:17:45 AM »
I tried to watch that just now and had to stop when it was clear Tony Sirico lost his mental faculties. Just can't watch that.

koab [8:27 PM]
damn i thought you guys were good little cucks who would shit themselfs so a POC could peacefully protest

Offline Bladelock

• brock lock
« Reply #207 on: January 22, 2019, 08:22:23 AM »
I tried to watch that just now and had to stop when it was clear Tony Sirico lost his mental faculties. Just can't watch that.

Yeah it's really hard to watch. He didn't know the name of the Uncle Junior character, or the name of Lilyhammer which he was directed by Steve Van Zandt on. Then he kept rambling about killing the cat. It was very sad. At least Dominic Chianese is still really quick witted and his stories were very interesting.

Offline Bladelock

• brock lock
« Reply #208 on: January 24, 2019, 05:18:40 PM »
Favorite Episodes: Sopranos Home Movies and Pine Barrens

Least Favorites: Guy Walks into a Psychiatrist's Office... and Christopher

Best Gag: Paulie's weight joke about Bobby and Vito

Favorite Mob Character: Paulie

Least Favorite: Ralph Cifaretto

Favorite Character Not in Mob: Artie

Least Favorite: AJ

Best Murder: Ralph getting beaten to death, this is tops cause Joey Pants hairpiece gets ripped off during the cleanup.

Worst Murder: Paulie on the old lady

Best Scene: Everything in the Pine Barrens.

Worst Scene: Columbus Day bullshit

Season Ranking

1.  4
2. 3
3. 6B
4. 5
5. 2
6. 1
7. 6A

Kinda fucked up that Season 1, which is one of the best seasons of TV ever gets 6th place. Maybe my rankings are fucked up. But the show is that great.

I realize this post is 6 years old, but I just finished my own rewatch and I want to do my own take:

Favorite Episodes:

1. Pine Barrens
2. Long Term Parking
3. The Blue Comet
4. Funhouse
5. Knight In White Satin Armor
6. Whitecaps
7. Sopranos Home Movies
8. I Dream Of Jeanne Cusamano
9. Kennedy And Heidi
10. Made In America

Honorable Mentions - College, D-Girl, Big Girls Don't Cry, Isabella, Whoever Did This, Amour Fou, The Strong Silent Type, Irregular Around The Margins, Cold Cuts, All Due Respect, Members Only, Join The Club, The Test Dream

Least Favorites:

1. Christopher
2. A Hit Is A Hit
3. In Camelot
4. Luxury Lounge
5. Kaisha
6. Chasing It
7. Sentimental Education (The Carmela/Wegler stuff just doesn't do it for me)
8. Mr. Ruggerio's Neighborhood (I get the love for this one, but I can't find myself caring about the FBI characters. This feels like a filler that was made because of Nancy Marchand's death. I did like Patsy's storyline, but I find the episode kind of boring)
9. Live Free Or Die (I'd have the Johnny Cakes episode here, but AJ trying to kill Uncle Junior was a great story line and his scene with Tony was incredibly. This episode has a few laughs, but the Vito derails everything.)
10. Commendatori (Feels like a missed opportunity. The guys in Italy should've been more interesting than it was. At least it introduced Furio.

Best Gag: The Interior Decorator mixup from Pine Barrens or Paulie repeating jokes to Tony

Favorite Mob Character: Tony's the best Mob character hands down with Chris right behind him, but Paulie, Junior, Silvio, and Bobby are all entertaining and hilarious. I also love Johnny Sack more with every viewing as he's just so damn cool. I guess if push comes to shove, I'll go with Paulie.

Least Favorite: No other choice but Vito. The actor is terrible and his New Hampshire storyline could've been great with someone that wasn't so wooden. He had zero screen presence or charisma or charm or likability.

Favorite Character Not in Mob: Carmela. Edie Falco is so amazing, she has to get the top spot. Janice is a really frustrating character, but Aida Turturro totally nailed that character and deserves a mention. I imagine most everyone has someone similar to Janice in their family. Her character was ultra realistic.

Least Favorite: Melfi after Employee of The Month from season 3. The therapy stuff had some great Tony moments, but around the middle of season 3 and after felt a bit like padding. It's usually pretty obvious from Gandolfini's facial expressions what Tony is thinking and a lot of the scenes felt like useless exposition. Elliott is also pretty bad, but not in enough scenes.

Best Murder: Phil's death is spectacular. Just everything about it is amazing.

Worst Murder: I don't really know. I guess for being icky, Adriana's, Bobby's, and Tracee's make me uncomfortable.

Best Scene: Carmela and Tony's two arguments in Whitecaps, Phil's Murder, Janice killing Richie, Tony and Ralph's fight, Christopher freaking out after Adriana told him she's been talking to the feds, Paulie at the psychic, Paulie and Christopher during Pine Barrens, Bobby and Tony's fight, the ending with Evidently Chickentown playing when Tony and Chris give that hug with both guys looking expression less, Tony yelling at AJ after he pathetically tries to go after Junior, Tony's final scene with Junior, and so many more

Worst Scene: The goomar of Tony's dad singing Happy Birthday, Vito's Johnny cakes line, or Carmela's weird freeze frame after telling Wegler she's going back to Tony

Season Ranking

1. 6B
2. 2
3. 5
4. 1
5. 3
6. 4
7. 6A

It's really hard to rank. 6A is clearly the bottom, but I do love most of 3, and 4. I just think 1 and 5 felt more cohesive I guess. You can have 1-6 in any order and it would feel right to me.

Offline Gert

« Reply #209 on: February 02, 2019, 04:39:58 PM »
Just watched S1 & 2 in the last two weeks. Forgot how good season 2 was. I think it would be really interesting to see how things would have been different had Nancy Marchand not died. I still think it probably played out better without the storyline of her testifying against Tony.

My friend is plowing through Game of Thrones and one of the parallels I saw on each show was it was amazing how they could have multiple unlikable characters (Richie Aprile, Ralph Ciafretto, Phil Leotardo).

Offline Bladelock

• brock lock
« Reply #210 on: February 02, 2019, 04:58:09 PM »
One thing I noticed on my rewatch was that aside from Bobby, Rosalie Aprille, Meadow, Melfi, Ginny Sack, and maybe Adriana almost every character has at least one moment that makes them absolutely despicable and morally repugnant.

Offline Gert

« Reply #211 on: February 18, 2019, 01:44:34 PM »

Do we know why Drea de Matteo was critical of the show? Even though she was killed off she still was probably the 2nd or 3rd most important character is S4 & S5.