Author Topic: The Sopranos: Rewatch  (Read 29379 times)

Description: He killed 16 Czechoslovakians

Offline The Art of Rasslin'

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • wipeoff
Re: The Sopranos: Rewatch
« Reply #50 on: November 24, 2012, 06:44:48 AM »
If the Soprano family really is meant to be "pretty much like any middle class family," then the show must rank among the bleakest visions of American life to have ever been produced.

Didn't you say it's the best look at post millenial suburban America of any TV show? I'm not talking about the mafia part, but Tony's life with his family (let's say he is in the garbage industry) is pretty spot on of what middle America at that time looked like.

Also, I never looked at it as being morally ambiguous. I don't think most do. Obviously being a murderous fuck is much worse than caring for ducks is a positive thing. But we accept that beforehand as well as the standards they live by, and in turn are entertained by their depth and complexity because we want to know who these people are. THAT was my point. I'm not saying that 'hey, these guys are complex, maybe they're not bad people'. They are bad people. It's not ambiguous, they're scum. However, they aren't defined by it due to the way the show is set up, as we see them 24/7 and that depth to their character makes for riveting television within the rules of that world they live in. The reason why I guess the FBI stuff doesn't sit well with most is because they're supposed to be 'the good guys'. As we hold the Crime Family to certain (lower) standards, we hold the FBI to higher ones.

We watch the show with blinders. I mean look at his liveblog and think about your own reaction while watching Richie smash the dude with coffee pot. It's p. badass, but awful. But you don't think about how awful it is when you watch it. That dude got his business set up because of Richie, and Richie came back to collect. Irl I am horrified, but watching as a viewer I totally can connect with Richie and understand why he did it. If you watch this show and morally pass judgment on them every time they do something bad, lol I don't know how anyone could do that for seven straight seasons and not have it be extremely tiresome.

But I don't think it's a hard moral judgment anyway, I think it's merely a case of accepting it for the sake of understanding who these people are and rooting for them in their own world. I hate to make a pro wrestling analogy, but I'm sure most people on this board cheer for heels more than they do for faces. It's the same mindset here. We are attracted to these people, whether we want to admit it or not, BECAUSE of their criminality, not in spite of it. It doesn't mean we think it's okay, it's just the allure of sin as a spectator. I've made the moral judgment BEFORE watching it, accepted it and am now looking at them on their own terms. There's a difference between that and justifying their behaviour after the fact to say they aren't bad people, which I am NOT doing. I think that's the way most people view it, so I think your point about coming up with justifications to say they're not bad people is off-base. Unless people view it that way (I can't speak for everyone, but most people that like mafia/organized crime shows and movies are fucking stupid so who knows), but I don't and in my first few sentences about Chase pointing out the viewer's hypocrisy I think that's clear.

James Gandolfini himself said that he turned on his character after he killed Christopher. Some might find that funny but you know what? I felt the same way when watching it. Through all the murders, through all the cheating and manipulation, I didn't think much of it because that's who he is and that's what he does. But when he killed his own nephew who's a made guy, regardless of all his fuckups, it still seemed wrong to me. Then the way he gambled and did drugs and all that stuff and didn't give a shit about it, somehow he became a shining piece of shit even when standing next to all the other pieces of shit. In THAT world, he crossed the line. Ralphie being Ralphie was fine, but when he killed the stripper, he crossed the line because no matter how badly these guys treat women, they don't do THAT. I think you're underestimating the detachment and altered perception with which people watch the show.

Also, all that stuff you said about Adrianna still doesn't work for me, unless being guilty of loving someone naively is justification for murder.

I can't believe a guy can be that big, and jump around like he does what a great athlete!

Offline Byron The Bulp

• Byron the bulb
  • Byron the bulb
« Reply #51 on: November 25, 2012, 01:26:01 AM »
We watch the show with blinders. I mean look at his liveblog and think about your own reaction while watching Richie smash the dude with coffee pot. It's p. badass, but awful. But you don't think about how awful it is when you watch it. That dude got his business set up because of Richie, and Richie came back to collect. Irl I am horrified, but watching as a viewer I totally can connect with Richie and understand why he did it. If you watch this show and morally pass judgment on them every time they do something bad, lol I don't know how anyone could do that for seven straight seasons and not have it be extremely tiresome.

But I don't think it's a hard moral judgment anyway, I think it's merely a case of accepting it for the sake of understanding who these people are and rooting for them in their own world. I hate to make a pro wrestling analogy, but I'm sure most people on this board cheer for heels more than they do for faces. It's the same mindset here. We are attracted to these people, whether we want to admit it or not, BECAUSE of their criminality, not in spite of it. It doesn't mean we think it's okay, it's just the allure of sin as a spectator.

It's exactly this impulse that I think the show is trying to force you as a viewer to question and think about critically, to ask why we, as a culture, have such a sick fascination with criminality and violence.

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • wipeoff
« Reply #52 on: November 25, 2012, 01:41:35 AM »
That's fair, but I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing that people indulge those feelings and use the show as a sort of escapism. Like I said, if I looked at them the same way I would irl I could never watch more than a couple of episodes because I would be so disgusted.

I can't believe a guy can be that big, and jump around like he does what a great athlete!

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • wipeoff
« Reply #53 on: November 25, 2012, 01:45:57 AM »
Re:the fascination; people just like seeing perverse shit when they're not the ones suffering the consequences. Why? I don't know, but it's not like American culture is unique in that respect. Violent films are popular in much of the world, as are bad guys. There are a bunch of theories (histories of war, embedded in our evolutionary memory, etc) , but I don't know if you could pinpoint it or figure it out.

Offline Jingus

« Reply #54 on: November 25, 2012, 11:02:35 AM »
Good read, guys. 

But:
D-GIRL
Not one mention of the Alicia Witt sex scene?  For shame. 

Right now I still think Pine Barrens is the best one, that obviously could change.
If forced to choose right now, that'd probably mine too.  Dunno how a rewatch would make me feel about it. 

But when he killed his own nephew who's a made guy, regardless of all his fuckups, it still seemed wrong to me. Then the way he gambled and did drugs and all that stuff and didn't give a shit about it, somehow he became a shining piece of shit even when standing next to all the other pieces of shit. In THAT world, he crossed the line.
The second part actually bothered me worse than the murder.  I totally understand why Tony killed Christopher; it's a disgusting and morally unjustifiable act, but from Tony's coldly pragmatic point of view it made sense.  Tony had been covering for Chrissy's fuckups for years, and this was not only the straw that broke the camel's back, but an opportunity to commit the perfect murder which Tony could not be blamed for.  But then going on a vacation with Chrissy's girlfriend afterwards, that just felt like Tony was dancing on the poor kid's grave. 

Also, all that stuff you said about Adrianna still doesn't work for me, unless being guilty of loving someone naively is justification for murder.
I wouldn't say she "deserved" being dragged out into the woods and murdered, of course not.  But above all, this is a very practical show, a fucked-up world where luck and cleverness are much more important to the main characters than morality.  Adrianna put herself directly into harm's way, repeatedly.  It's as if she walked through a dangerous part of town, alone at midnight, while waving around a stack of hundred-dollar bills; she wouldn't deserve to get mugged, but she'd be an idiot to blithely assume that nothing bad would happen. 

Online Firmino of the 909

• Admin
« Reply #55 on: November 25, 2012, 05:23:23 PM »
FULL LEATHER JACKET

- What is it with white people and "Baker Street"? Tony's line about people at Cal getting Nobel Prizes for packing fudge brought out a cackle.

- Can't believe that dude is taking a shit while Chris and those other two mo's are in the middle of a robbery. wtf DNA. On that subject, I can't remember the last time I dropped a deuce without sitting over a toilet.

- The wheelchair ramp gag in this episode is just, well I can't remember exactly what happens but Paulie and Richie's interaction here is mad tense. LMAO at the van full of illegals all getting out to attempt the wheelchair installation. Like ten guys came out of that van.

- Carmela putting the squeeze to Jeannie Cusamano for her to have a letter written for Meadow to get into Georgetown was the type of thing I always wanted mob wives to do in past mob movies. It's good to see them get involved in this kind of way. Jeannie and her sister being played by the same chick is funny. Trashing the Berkeley letter so that Meadow was unable to reply was stone cold. At least Carmela felt guilty in the middle of the night, grabbed that shit out the trash and tried to clean it up.

- Chris and Adrianna patched up so damn fast. Couldn't even extend the relationship drama out a little bit.

- This jacket thing, I don't really understand the meaning of it other than Richie trying to be a nice guy; it makes complete sense that Richie would go off the reservation over Tony not liking it and giving it away.

- Richie's digs against Chris while talking to these two douchebags just make me hate him even more. But harkening back to the earlier conversation, Chris bashing the security guard in the head doesn't bother me at all. So yeah, definitely have to watch the show with blinders on or I'd hate myself for watching it.

- DAMN CARMELA PUTTING THE MOB STYLE SQUEEZE ON THE CUSAMANO SISTER. SQUEEZIN THE COOZ

- These two douchebags trying to get in with Tony are ridiculous bottom feeder types, the way they try to talk to him in the bathroom is creepy as fuck. And who the fuck hangs out with another dude while in their underwear? Furio's dialogue with the other Italian guy is amazing. "These two suck each others cocks" bwhahahahahahahaha

- Richie finding out about Tony giving the jacket to the Polak dude, man he looks like he's gonna rage straight through the ceiling. I mean whoaaaaa shit.

- Team Douchebag attacking Chris was wrong. I'm glad he dusted the one impatient mope, it's better when Pussy and Tony get the other one later. Running to Richie after that for approval was the stupidest fuckin' thing I ever heard. Tony being despondent over the shooting was kinda out of place and not needed.

Videos:

This was the only video worth posting really, but it was a great episode in a season with quite a few of them. It gets the blood rage going.

koab [8:27 PM]
damn i thought you guys were good little cucks who would shit themselfs so a POC could peacefully protest

• Admin
« Reply #56 on: November 25, 2012, 06:52:30 PM »
FROM WHERE TO ETERNITY

- This Chris in a coma shit is straight out wrong. When Chris' mom shows up and says "I want the motherfucker in agony" it's great how Silvio deadpans "we'll do the best we can."

- The conversation about Tony's infidelity is really awkward at this stage of the show. The vasectomy thing too. When he says "I had her tested for AIDS, what do you think I am," what is that shit supposed to say?

- When Chris got code blue'd in the ICU I thought for sure they were setting up for his death, even though within the context of the show it wouldn't have made any sense. Right now I'm seriously reconsidering my opinion on what the GOAT show is cause this might be it.

- Hesh asking these questions about Chris and his condition annoyed the shit out of me.

- And then oh man we're set on the path of the best Paulie storyline in the whole show. The hell thing is creepy as it gets. Then Chris says that shit about three o'clock and Paulie questioning him about it was so awkward. Paulie saying "don't they know this kid likes his chemistry set too much" brought a good laugh in an episode with very little of that to this point.

- Way Tony justifies his thought process so that he warps his way into thinking he wouldn't go to hell is really sick. Amazing rant though: "Excuse me, let me tell you something... When America opened up the floodgates and let all us Italians in, what do you think they were doing it for? 'Cause they were trying to save us from poverty? No, they did it because they needed us. They needed us to build their cities and dig their subways, and to make them richer. The Carnegies and The Rockerfellers: they needed worker bees and there we were. But some of us didn't want to swarm around their hive and lose who we were. We wanted to stay Italian and preserve the things that meant something to us: honor and family and loyalty... and some of us wanted a piece of the action. Now we weren't educated like the Americans, but we had the BALLS to take what we wanted! And those other folks, those other... the, the JP Morgans, they were crooks and killers too, but that was the business right? The American Way. "

- Paulie with the clock at 3 AM and freaking out, having to get out of bed, oh man this shit's hilarious. His broad giving her own anecdote about 3 o'clock was ridiculously stupid. Then he can't take it anymore and goes to wake up a gunshot victim to harass him about it, and tell him that he went to purgatory and not hell. lol

- Melfi's therapy sessions are like er, a priest confessing their whole daily actions to their bishop. I don't know how else to describe it but the whole experience can be weird at times.

- Skip encouraging Pussy to get closer to Tony, essentially egging on his redemption (to a small extent) later in this episode, is something I always found neat.

- Tony freaking out on AJ after the plate drop incident during he and Carmela's vasectomy conversation is so wrong. Tries to make it all better with a six pack of coke and a pizza but that doesn't do shit really. Trying to buy your family's love with material shit or food doesn't cut it. Sucks that he's always called away from an attempt to do some sort of a good deed by work.

- Oh man and then right after the show cuts to Paulie having a nightmare, saying in his sleep that they're dragging him to hell. I couldn't imagine any other actor playing this part, he does an amazing job. Paulie at the psychic is so strange. I hate those con artist pieces of shit, but that poison ivy line was a whoa what the fuck. Paulie calling it satanic black magic sick shit before throwing the chair against the wall was absolutely hilarious, I mean damn.

- Haha this mope gives away the living douchebag's life to Pussy for 20 bucks. The whole time I was thinking, Tony don't do this with this rat, but it was plainly obvious that Pussy wasn't happy about what happened to Chris and wanted to redeem himself to some extent, not to mention get better info to rat with. I love watching this dude get iced. "Cause that sugarless motherfucker, it's the last fucking drink you're ever gonna have!" Great line. He's already dead after the first shot but both of them empty their frustrations out on the poor sack of shit.

- Paulie taking out his frustrations on the priest over the spirits thing was good too. Haha "you left me unprotected"

- Btw I'm glad nothing came of the Carmela wanting a baby one night thing.

Videos:

Great episode, but in an objective sense, the Paulie storyline doesn't fit in with what this show is supposed to be at all. I still love it. The buildup to Pussy getting whacked is the best, period. There's so much shit going on here that I can't sum it all up, but I don't need to either.

damn i thought you guys were good little cucks who would shit themselfs so a POC could peacefully protest

• Admin
« Reply #57 on: November 26, 2012, 06:39:14 PM »
BUST OUT

- Tony being caught killing the douchebag by a witness is not good. Mothafuckas be snitchin. Richie going to Tony to complain, then for Tony to use Junior's line about his mom against him was a good callback.

- Tony ransacking this guy's store because he can't pay his debt is awesome, not in a good way but at the same time funny. The airline ticket idea was terrible from the beginning and even the poor prick David knew that.

- AJ jumping in the pool to avoid dealing with the spider in the pool heating system was funny too.

- The way the FBI expects people to get mob bosses on tape talking about murders, well that's fucking retarded. Don't they know hardened criminals don't talk about that shit? Yeah, maybe your regular Joe who the fuck, but not a guy like Tony.

- Oh man the fuckin handyman storyline. In the last episode Tony was being implored to not cheat, but Carmela feels the need to do it herself. That makes total sense to be honest.

- David trying to find various ways to kill himself is just fucked as it gets. Speaking of fucked, when Janice is getting exactly that from Richie with a gun to her head, that shit's fucked up. LOL Livia comes down the stairs and asks Janice if she's smoking marijuana. Amazing.

- Funny thing about my earlier comment regarding Tony, he and Pussy actually DO talk about it later, but Pussy isn't wearing a wire or anything like that. The way Paulie describes going on the lam to Furio is fucking amazing. "Anywhere there are no Jews or Italians."

- Tony getting fucked off by AJ and being unable to spend time with him when he tried is pretty sad. This might sound a little gay or whatever but I make sure not to do that to my dad in part because I know he's not gonna live forever, so when you get the chance to do something nice with your parents, if you have a nice relationship and all that, it's good to do it. Tony bailing out on his son's swim meet though left AJ so dejected, I felt pretty terrible about it. That was an all-time type sadness moment for this show. Then the fight between he and Carmela later is messed up too. What a depressing episode. And then damn when Meadow bails out on Tony while he's pouring his soul out is even WORSE

- When Tony tells David the end game for him is filing bankruptcy, that's some ice cold super ruthless shit.

- lol bashing out wallpaper in the Soprano household to "Wheel in the Sky" got a big ass laugh out of me, and it's 12 AM, so that's not the best thing in the world. First time I watched this, I knew she was gonna get close to getting down with Victor, that was totally inevitable.

- Richie bringing up killing Tony to Junior once again is just unbelievable as fuck. I'm glad Junior then goes on to out Janice as a horrible person.

- Ah shit "Con te partirĂ²" again w/r/t Carmela and Victor. The re-use of music in this show is p. neat. When Victor talks to David, and David tells him about Tony tearing his shit up, Victor realizes immediately that Carmela Soprano ain't one to fuck (with) and he's like I ain't dealin' with this shit at all. Victor is one of the only people who gets involved with the Sopranos in any tangible way and makes it out unscathed. I laughed pretty hard at Carmela banging out the lunch to Shania Twain. Like bwhahahahaha, but I remember the first time I watched this, I was like wow she's really feeling this guy's widower swag.

- When the witnesses wife notices this guy is witnessing against Tony Soprano it's great how this shit self-corrects. These people are so intimidated despite never talking to Tony Soprano that the witness immediately retracts his claim.

- Sad when Tony doesn't realize that he really hurt Beansie's feelings by trying to give him the 50k.

- Then the last moment sums up the theme of this episode. Tony and AJ capsize a small boat deliberately, and that sums up exactly what Tony does, deliberately or not, to everyone in his path. The little guy better get the fuck out the way for the big fish. David, Victor, the witness to the douchebag murder, and these two sad ass fucks in the boat that gets tipped over all suffer the same fate.

No videos cause I dunno if anything happened worth that treatment, but it was a good episode. Robert Patrick is excellent in his role as a degenerate gambler now being busted out. Like, good enough that I could believe that this happened to him in real life.

Offline Byron The Bulp

• Byron the bulb
  • Byron the bulb
« Reply #58 on: November 26, 2012, 09:25:11 PM »

top moment

• Admin
« Reply #59 on: November 27, 2012, 10:46:50 AM »
HOUSE ARREST

- LMAO at all the old trash being dumped out in the corner store parking lot, but one thing I didn't understand, where the fuck are all these greens coming from? Nobody throws away so many heads of lettuce. Arab guy calling the trashmen motherfuckers while they drive away is absolutely amazing. "You are speaking shit to me."

- Melfi hitting the bottle before Tony's appointment started was a good reveal. Completely forgot about that. I don't really like this Elliot guy, I don't know if you're supposed to like him or not, but he's a total dickbag.

- This Catherine lady is quite a bit smothering, but old people need that kind of companionship. Telling Bobby that Catherine's bunions were a hindrance is mad cold.

- Seeing a panic attack through Tony's eyes was interesting. But damn the doctor telling Tony to lose weight after he blew up at her was fucked up.

- This Melfi scene with her son was interesting and reminded me of the hat scene in season 1 where Tony walked over to verbally force the guy to remove his hat in that restaurant. Only problem is, she tries to physically force the lady to put out her cigarette by throwing her towel in the bitch's face, putting her on a worse level than when Tony did something similar.

- Junior with the garbage disposal was sad shit. The dispute over cocaine being sold on the garbage routes, on Tony's side with that one. Then Junior's week gets even worse when Baccala eats all the fuckin' pasta. And then he reveals to Catherine he's on house arrest and that just sucks. A swag killer if I ever heard one before.

- Tony trying to insulate himself from conflict was interesting, I don't know which part of it I liked the best. Probably the part when he plows the blonde. It's messed up that he tries to insulate himself and picked up a rash.

- lol at Richie's salmon colored pants. Is this 1985 or what the fuck? Maybe that was the last time this dude lived in the outside world on the regular, but wow, what a wardrobe. Amazing how angry he can make Tony with just a few words.

- Tony's return to Satriale's is a good moment, he couldn't help but be back in the mix. Car crash outside was funny, as was the conversation with the FBI agents.

Videos:

I noticed I've been writing more for these than the season 1 episodes. I guess these are more layered or some shit. Anyway, I don't really like this episode. It's really slow, and while both Tony and Junior experience the same cooped-up situation for different reasons, it's a bit boring.

Offline Zetterberg is Go

« Reply #60 on: November 27, 2012, 12:23:53 PM »
Probably the most borderline pornographic sex scene I've seen in any show I've watched. Hate it and skip through it every time.

Offline AA484

• CXF Writer
« Reply #61 on: November 27, 2012, 12:45:22 PM »
You didn't specifically refer to anything but I assume you are talking about the Melfi rape scene?

Offline Zetterberg is Go

« Reply #62 on: November 27, 2012, 12:55:01 PM »
He just reviewed House Arrest, where Tony fucks that secretary and the way it is shot (not to mention it happening out of nowhere) makes it unbearable to me.

• Admin
« Reply #63 on: November 27, 2012, 01:02:04 PM »
Yeah, same. I was joking about it being cool, I didn't even watch it. I switched to another tab cause it was more than a little awkward sitting through that.

THE WHITE KNIGHT IN SATIN ARMOR

- The possibility/likelihood of Richie's son being gay was a nice introduction to this episode, because I knew from that point the whole episode would be extremely fucked up. Tony not wanting Richie around his kids cause of the Beansie thing, well, that isn't fucked up at all. Neither would I. Jackie Jr. gets introduced and now we're subjected to his generally horrible acting job.

- Irina's moody bitch attitude is so funny, but Tony's is even more funny. Telling Irina she deserves better than this shit, and her reply of she'll kill herself takes shit to the next level later on.

- Richie's play to get rid of Tony was a massive mistake, I don't know why he was so quick to trust Junior, or any of the other captains to not tell on him immediately.

- Pussy now deciding to get all hardcore on Tony and trying to put him in jail is a dickheaded move. The only thing I don't understand is why now? It doesn't make sense within the scope of the show. He and Tony wasted that douchebag in the soda shack, why in the hell would he make that leap now, when Tony trusts him and hasn't done anything wrong to him?

- Carmela hitting depression mode over finding Tony's clothes in the dryer and Janice's speech at the engagement party sucks. Then straight after realizing Irina DID try to kill herself it was like DAMN GIRL. And Svetlana gets introduced here, I always liked her character. And related to that earlier part of this bullet-note, Janice and Carmela's interaction at the bridal shop is pretty interesting. Carmela is obviously right that any mob marraige would head down the road hers has.

- The way these FBI guys were talking about Pussy is pretty cold, but they had no problem eating Tony's food, so, how fucking weird.

- As soon as Junior finds out nobody will go in with Richie on a hit with Tony, nice to see him immediately tuck tail. Guy is smart. Jackie Jr. chiming in was just fucking stupid. What a toolbox.

- Pussy farming for information from Christopher pisses me off. lol Chris stealing Pokemon cards, trying to get Pussy involved, and then that RAT MOTHERFUCKER calls Skip and tells him about the Pokemon heist.

- lol at Irina calling Tony a fucking bastard when he's there to try to help her. Bwhahaha at Svetlana linking psychiatry and the gulag for political rehabilitation.

- Loved the part when Janice told Richie that Tony didn't want him around his kids, and Richie launched his beer into the fireplace.

- MAN THIS RAT FUCKER FOLLOWING CHRIS AND RECORDING IT ON HIS WHATEVER THE FUCK. Then damn he runs over some poor sad sack on his bike and piledrives another vehicle.

- And then whoa shit we go into some more crazy shit when Irina calls Tony's house. Carmela launches into that completely justified tirade and wow.

- lol at Junior being so high and mighty over telling Tony that Richie was gunning for him. I don't understand how this could be a revelation to Tony. Nice that he parlays it into further money from Tony, that's some OG stuff. Tony not even needing time to think on killing him was ruthless.

- Richie raging on Janice over the Richie Jr. bullshit regarding him being a gay was messed up. AND THEN WHOA SHIT HE SAYS PUT MY DINNER ON THE TABLE BEFORE PUNCHING JANICE THAT'S SOME OLD SCHOOL 1950'S MAN SHIT. THEN THIS DUDE SAYS WHAT ARE YOU LOOKING AT AND ARE YOU GONNA CRY NOW. JANICE WALKS AWAY GETS A GUN AND BLOWS THIS MOTHERFUCKER INTO OBLIVION WOW WHAT A FUCKIN MOMENT NEVER SAW THAT SHIT COMIN FIRST TIME I SAW THIS SHOW. MAYBE THE BEST TV DEATH OF ALL TIME. CRAZY BITCH SENT THAT FOOL TO HIS GRAVE

- It's extremely obvious that Pussy was going to get killed from this point, laid up in the bed after his car accident and being told he wouldn't be allowed to help the FBI out.

- Seeing Richie iced laying on the floor was some awesome shit. Lol Chris and Furio being the only two to know exactly what happened to him is amazing. Carmela calling Janice's place only to find Tony really was there, even more interesting to see how little she trusted him. Hahaha cutting up Richie and Chris says "It's going to be a while before I eat anything from Satriale's." Ha, and a a GOAT type scene gets even better when Livia rolls her way down the stairs in that chair and starts talking to Tony. That's fucked up how she smiles at Tony's story about Richie not coming home that night, then calls Tony cruel and laughs at home falling down. How fucked up.

- I wish Janice had stayed in Seattle after going back there. "We buried him. On a hill. Overlooking a little river. With pine cones all around." hahahahahaha and then again with Carmela. "Richie's gone." "What do you mean gone?" "Gone." "Where?" "Don't make me make you an accessory after the fact" Lastly, Carmela brings up an Italy trip that we never get to see her go on.

Video:

And so goes Tony's greatest foe, without him getting to have a hand in it. Phil was a sick fuck but these Gandolfini and Proval had way better chemistry on screen. All their scenes were really uncomfortable.

For some reason I can't find anything else but this one video. Anyhow, it's probably the most eventful episode to this point and I'd call it the best so far. I think it holds that title until like tomorrow when I watch the next one.

Offline Zetterberg is Go

« Reply #64 on: November 27, 2012, 01:05:17 PM »
Yeah, same. I was joking about it being cool, I didn't even watch it. I switched to another tab cause it was more than a little awkward sitting through that.
Glad I'm not the only one. Least I know it's coming now so I can skip it.

• Admin
« Reply #65 on: November 27, 2012, 07:03:53 PM »
FUNHOUSE

- Haha, Tony having to deal with his mom once again. Amazing. "SHE WAS ABUSIVE TO THE STAAAAAAAAAFFFF." Major fuck-up giving his mom those airline tickets. Who makes good decisions under that kind of pressure anyway?

- And we continue with the laughs as Tony eats at an Indian restaurant and they play Indian music, which for some reason makes me laugh. Then he goes to Vesuvio and eats there, what a bad mixture you're certain to get sick off that shit. Calling card schemes are a pretty much dead deal now, one good thing about the proliferation of cell phones.

- Tony's suit game with Carmela was p. cute, bought affection with gifts but that's some kind of game most people should run right there. lol at "it's fuckin' alive"

- And then we have "the dream." Everyone knows which dream I'm talking about. Had no idea this was a dream the first time I saw it, took a little bit to figure that out. I realized there was no way they'd be down in Asbury Park on the boardwalk, that was too unusual. Tony self-immolating was strange as it gets. Whoa Tony's gut basically explodes when he wakes up, what an unexpected turn of events. "It's the chicken vindaloo!" What is it with the Coke though, I don't get that.

- HOW DARE PUSSY DO TONY LIKE THAT ON THE CALLING CARD SCHEME. Actually, totally expected it. Back to the dream, and Silvio in the Pacino outfit from 3 with the "our true enemy has yet to reveal himself" cracked me up. Tony shooting Paulie during the card game did not. Finding out Paulie sends out typed reports on his family at Christmas time, according to Tony's dream, is so....weird. and wtf is with the constant creaking? Then we get even weirder with Furio handing Tony a roll of toilet paper. Oh man Tony is extremely pissed at Artie over eating at his place and thinking that's the cause for his illness. Artie looking for vindication was messed up, but Tony being so fucked up from food poisoning that Artie and Carmela had to carry him was...fucked up.

- Whoa shit Livia busted at the airport with the tickets what a brutal idea.

- And back to the dream we go as Tony is on the toilet. In the dream his dick sticking up in his pants like that is more than a bit unsettling. This "therapy session" was SO WEIRD. lol at Gilligan's Island theme song. I found it weird how his subconscious pushed the Pussy rat situation to the forefront of Tony's brain, but he was in denial about this from the beginning.

- Back to real life, Tony showing up at Pussy's house on a whim was a pretty good idea. Should have done this from the beginning. Pussy letting his guard down while Tony's taking a shit was a big mistake. Perfect alibi to go searching, which Tony does, and then he finds the shit to confirm what we knew all along.  And then he has his last dream, which confirms Meadow going to Columbia, which oddly actually happens.

- This scene is so wrong, yet necessary. I don't feel bad at all for Pussy to be honest. Sad that his last words have to be lies. However, he does tell him about the calling cards and Webistics. The Davey bustout too. First watch through the series, I thought this would extend out for a few more years. Tony asking if the acupuncturist was real, well, I wondered the same shit but I guess you never really find out. And fuck they shoot him while he asks to sit down, and Paulie takes his jewelry. That's some heavy hitter shit. One thing I was thinking during this episode was that I wish I had a friend with a boat. Maybe cold-hearted but whatever.

- Ah shit Livia tells them she's in airport security over the tickets and that's bad news of course. FBI agents are at his house already, and they find the fuckin' tickets in his truck. Wow shit imagine your dad being dragged out of the house in cuffs while your friends watched. Tony tripping out over the plane ticket charge was unusual for him, he's never like that. Then we go straight to therapy. Melfi steps up to the plate and knows something's up with him, Tony can't take it while acting like a total child, and away he goes.

- Christopher finding out he's getting made, Davey appearing and saying he's going to work on a ranch, and Junior getting told to leave before Carmela kills him are great highlights from the graduation ceremony.

- The montage to end this season is even better than the one that started it.

Videos:

Well, as a season finale, I can see how people would be disappointed with that to some extent. Half of it was Tony playing with his head in a world that doesn't exist, and the episode previous offered a lot of closure. But for me, it's irrelevant that it's a season finale because I'm plowing straight through it. In the scope of the whole show, already knowing what comes up later, it's easily a top ten episode.

I like this season better than the first because I feel like Chase cut out a lot of filler from the first go-round, but one problem with it is that at the end the audience is able to suffer through not knowing where it's about to head. In the first season, the indictments were out, and you knew, or at least thought Junior was headed for trial. Here, it's pushed so far to the backburner that you could nearly forget about how important it is. You also knew Pussy booked it. Now he's dead. Chris wanted made and he wasn't. Now you know he's gonna be. Melfi was gone, now she's not. Heading into season 3, unless I'm missing something, the only marked directions this show are heading that we knew about beforehand, firstly, was Tony's charge for the airline tickets. His own lawyer did a good enough job minimizing it that you don't feel something will happen to him at all. Past that we don't have shit. The FBI lost their key witness, so any angle of dropping more shit on Tony is gone. These two years were about him maneuvering into full control, which he has now done.

I seem to liking the third season the best although there was no real threat to Tony's life, who knows if I'll feel the same. Probably. Ralph was such an asshole.

• Admin
« Reply #66 on: November 28, 2012, 05:37:33 PM »
MR. RUGGERIO'S NEIGHBORHOOD

- I remember loving this episode. When they call Pussy "compost," yeah, that's pretty fucked up. Hilarious that they thought Tony killed Richie. Couldn't be more clueless.

- It's hard for me to give lines for each sequence here, cause it's all about the same shit. The entry by the FBI into the Sopranos home is one of the better sequences in TV history. Finding out that they ran the Polish maid's husband's name by anti-terrorism was completely fucked and serves a great purpose; making me hate the FBI. Going into somebody's house like this is wrong to be quite honest.

- Haha at Tony singing along to "Dirty Work." The music selection in this episode is outstanding. Paulie's line about wet shoelaces is the absolute truth, some shit I think about whenever I go in a public restroom and make sure to wash my hands just like him. Learned something from this show. What an explanation too, while they're eating fuckin' lunch bwhahahahahahaha. Guy who killed Philly being at the table with Patsy is awkward.

- Perv verbally wanking over Adriana while she's in that outfit is quite interesting. That outfit is quite wow. In the part right after we see AJ's evolution into degenerate smoker of cigarettes. This suicidal chick, Meadow's roomate, is a qt by the way.

- The scene with the two Poles in interesting, as is the cliche of 'back in my country I was big shot and now in America I drive taxi cab'

- Now it's D-Day. Tennis instructor is obviously a lesbian. ABORT MISSION. Water-heater burst. My God all those pictures ruined, if that happened with my mom's stuff she'd explode.

- Patsy in the backyard with a gun pointed at Tony was some wild shit. Dude needs to put down the alcohol. Fortunately he does nothing and takes a leak in the pool instead.

- Real D-Day begins. Harris obviously finds himself quite important to think Tony giving him the finger while driving by was a big deal. Funny that the maid nearly blew the mission by running away from conversation with her husband. lol at Caitlin freaking out while telling a story about the bodybuilder on the subway. It's fucked up when Tony makes Patsy admit his grief over Tony ordering his brother whacked is behind him, they both know Tony killed him, yet Patsy's family has benefited so much from him being aligned with Tony that Patsy is resigned to his fate with Tony.

- What a dull job having to monitor these conversations in the basement would be. Feel bad for the engineer guy trying to explain his credentials while Tony and Carmela argue.

For some reason I can't spot any of the FBI in Tony's house videos, so it's a no-goer on that front this time. I see how someone could find that episode painfully dull, but not me.  It's interesting in that all it really is a look at what the Soprano family does every Tuesday, going through their normally boring daily activities. The thing is, their daily activities aren't that dull in the scope of a television show, because you find out that Adriana dresses like a whore to tennis lessons where she and Carmela are instructed by a dyke, Meadow is rooming with a really strange girl, that AJ loves smoking cigs and tries out for the football team, and that Paulie talks about weird shit when the wiseguys are about to have lunch. Fun show.

• Admin
« Reply #67 on: November 28, 2012, 07:33:31 PM »
PROSHAI, LIVUSHKA

- The dump truck bomb surprised the shit out of me, good thing I wasn't fully paying attention. But the retaliation in sanitation war thing made me kinda think Tony was badly hurt on the floor with all that blood around him the first time I saw this episode.

- Amazing the reversal effect before this Noah scene. I hated Noah from the beginning but it had nothing to do with his race, he seemed like a total dickbag. Tony calling him a moolie was WILD. Noah was daddy's worst nightmare times two to Tony anyway, not only did he think he was a moolie, but he had the Jew factor as well. Shit like that scares parents, nice to see the show touching this ground and addressing it. Him going full-blown after seeing Uncle Ben's face was hilarious to be honest.

- CGI Livia is wrong, I guess they had to write her out somehow. That being said, it's so obvious and horrible looking. Wonder where this show would have went had Marchand not died. Hard to watch this part.

- The clips from The Public Enemy were interesting this episode (will try not to mention them again), but wow at Tony saying to Meadow, "maybe if I say it in Swahili."

- Then, er...Tony gets the news his moms kicked the can. Not surprising that his reaction seemed to be one initially of relief. Also, not good to leave a kid alone in a house after his grandmother dies. Funny how his crew comes over and watches the X-Games, Paulie Walnuts isn't exactly the guy I'd expect to be into skateboarding. The false sympathies are quite interesting. Carmela's parents obviously didn't like her, and it's interesting to see them walk in during the middle of Tony raging about Janice being selfish and not wanting to come to the funeral. lol at that case being "colder than her tit," but Janice's son being homeless was something I kinda suspected to be completely honest.

- Ah shit RALPH CIFARETTO MAKES HIS DEBUT. Accompanied by Janice and her hysterics! Good thing Tony took Ralphie and Albert to the pool for their dispute and not the basement. Knew immediately that Ralphie was gonna be a fuckin' psycho.

- Whatta Godfather callback at the funeral home. Of course Janice would seize on the chance to make this about herself. So much facepalming.

- Tony expressing his relief and gladness at his mom's death at his appointment with Melfi, and asking if this made him a bad son, while expressing what kind of people are bad sons, is fairly typical of people's emotions at this period in time, when society has become so materialistic and parents are viewed as a drain on yourselves rather than family which is fun to be around. Lots of people think it but are shit scared to say it, I'm glad I don't feel that way about mine. Then he calls his mom a cunt. Whoa.

- Finding out Buffalo Ray was an FBI informant really surprised me, but then I recall him being caught with Vin at the brothel in season 1. He was so minor all along, but I didn't expect it. It's also interesting that he isn't a reluctant rat like Pussy, he's full blown and a LET'S DO IT type.

- bwhahahaha at Janice digging for gold, money, or whatever the fuck in the basement of Livia's house. Tony finding out his mom kept so much stuff of his was a good development.

- Everyone's funeral preparations, Silvio mad about missing the Jets game, Furio/Adriana/Chris doing lots of drugs are just a lot too much. Councilman gets introduced here, and we have the reappearance of the preacher. Junior's progression towards being obsessively worried about his own death and illnesses, begins here I believe. "Chinks and their housewives" is another wow comment from the Soprano family.

- Oh man Ralphie's first asshole moment comes as that Joe Zachary guy gets beat half to fucking death in front of his own home.

- Janice/Svetlana spat begins now. I like this one. Everyone else but Janice wanting to respect Livia's wishes is, well, pretty disgusting on Janice's part anyway.

- Carmela gets absolutely bombed this night. wtf Pussy in the mirror, oh god this Janice part. This may be my moment of hating her the most. Cringes abound. Who in the hell was the random guy that walked halfway down the stairs? I mean, I get that it was supposed to be a ghost and all that, but who was it? The lady Livia ran over early into the show has something nice to say, but that's about it. Janice is such a bitch, that's all I can think to say about this, other than that Chris' super high speech was outstanding. Artie about to blow his top was bad news, good thing Carmela interrupted and let loose with the truth about this whole deal before he opened his mouth. Loved Hugh's speech cause I would have a hard time not doing some shit like that myself.

- End of Public Enemy tears Tony up for the first time during all this and that's it.

Videos:

The CGI effect Livia was so horrible, yet it doesn't bother me all that much. They had to figure out some way to write her off. I don't really like the last 15 minutes of this episode, because funerals aren't really my thing, and I don't deal well with real death, which this reminds me of. Sometimes I'm numb to it, sometimes I get really overemotional about it. And oftentimes when dealing with situations like that, I have no idea what I'm supposed to say. Whether that's normal or not, I don't know. Objectively speaking, it's a good episode because so much shit goes on, but I could do without watching it again. The abhorrent racism mixed in with false sympathy is too conflicting.

Offline Byron The Bulp

• Byron the bulb
  • Byron the bulb
« Reply #68 on: November 28, 2012, 11:58:18 PM »
First time I saw Big Pussy in the mirror I almost screamed. Crazy moment.

Offline Zetterberg is Go

« Reply #69 on: November 29, 2012, 03:36:38 AM »
Mr. Ruggerio's Neighborhood is a classic. Such a great opener.

• Admin
« Reply #70 on: November 29, 2012, 07:13:19 AM »
FORTUNATE SON

- Chris getting his button is pretty cool, the oath is interesting. The raven outside is strange, I never really thought of that as being a bad omen. Paulie's explanation of how their percentage scheme works is quite interesting.

- lol at Janice's food mess on the coffee table. Does anyone really do that?

- Tony telling Melfi about "Meadow bringing him a black" was er....uncomfortable. Calling Noah "Buckwheat" is even worse. How awkward for him to conduct business during an appointment.

- Jackie Jr. is the fucking worst. I love Chris telling this clown not to disrespect the pizza parlor, but then he disrespects it in the next sentence by saying he can't be seen in a place like this anymore. Tony's attempt at a lecture was interesting, lol at him saying Richie was a rat, and then telling Jackie to ask around if he didn't believe him.

- AJ as freshman football benchwarmer brought back some good non-memories for me, I remember when I was in freshman football I never had that problem. Started every game but one. And my dad was kinda like Tony in this regard, loud football parent. This is the episode where you find out AJ has some mental issues of his own. It's nice to see Tony not flip out at AJ for spilling his glass of milk.

- Chris blaming the raven for his failures in paying Paulie was something anyone could have seen coming. Teething issues for anyone in a new job is quite normal.

- This shit with Janice stealing Svetlana's leg has an amazing payoff, but what bitch would actually take somebody's fake fucking leg? lol at "that slut sow stole my leg," and lol at it panning straight to Christopher beating on a drug bum who owes him dough. Oh god "hello Tony," how awkward is this. Maybe if Tony was nicer to her at these points she wouldn't have ratted on him at the end of season 4.

- YES FLASHBACK.  Junior is so weird in these. Satriale getting his finger ripped off by Tony's dad while Tony was watching explains so much. I like Tony's explanation that the experience wasn't traumatizing for him at all. One note for later, he tells Tony never to gamble, as we know, he disobeys. lol at kid Tony passing out and gashing his eyebrow open.

- Tony's consistent racial slurs w/r/t Noah are p. bad. This Noah guy saying he'd punch Tony's lights out is hilarious, maybe he wanted thrown in the ocean.

- The benefit concert jacking is both gross and funny at the same time. For starters we find out that Jackie is so nervous he pisses his pants. Finding out about how money is passed up the chain from Paulie to Tony was interesting too.

Videos:

Christopher Gets Made

This episode was mostly centered around plot introduction, so while it's good, it's not one of those that has great re-watch value. Chris scrambling for ways to pay Paulie was neat though. Employee of the Month is next.

Offline Zetterberg is Go

« Reply #71 on: November 29, 2012, 08:13:31 PM »
So hard to pick between seasons but fuck season three is unreal.

Offline The ghost of bps21

• Wade the Duck says: Your brush with Greatness is OVER!
« Reply #72 on: November 29, 2012, 08:17:29 PM »
Season 2

Offline Zetterberg is Go

« Reply #73 on: November 29, 2012, 08:20:57 PM »
It's between 2 and 3 for me.

Offline JAxlMorrison

« Reply #74 on: November 30, 2012, 09:17:45 PM »
These recaps definitely make me want to pick up the whole series on Amazon. I didn't even watch this show until after it was off the air, but I love it so much I even watch the censored reruns on A & E.

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • wipeoff
« Reply #75 on: December 01, 2012, 04:34:43 AM »
Carmela is obviously right that any mob marraige would head down the road hers has.

Lastly, Carmela brings up an Italy trip that we never get to see her go on.

For some reason I can't find anything else but this one video. Anyhow, it's probably the most eventful episode to this point and I'd call it the best so far. I think it holds that title until like tomorrow when I watch the next one.

I still like it more than the finale. Just way more shit happening. A lot of the dream sequences of the show are cool but a bit tiresome at times. This one was packed with action from start to finish, and Richie digging his own grave only to get whacked by his fiance is one of the best deaths like you said. I never saw that coming either.

Carmela could have gone on the Italy trip in between seasons, and Bobby Fat fuck never cheated on his wife, but she died in a car accident which is much worse, so

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • wipeoff
« Reply #76 on: December 01, 2012, 04:35:50 AM »
And yeah Livia's satisfaction at the idea that Richie left Janice and then laughing at Tony while simultaneously calling him cruel only adds to that whole sequence.

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • wipeoff
« Reply #77 on: December 01, 2012, 04:42:00 AM »
Apparently the airline stuff was supposed to be the main storyline for all of season three, but then she died.

"I hated Noah from the beginning but it had nothing to do with his race, he seemed like a total dickbag."

I laughed that you had to specify that it had nothing to do with his race.

• Admin
« Reply #78 on: December 01, 2012, 04:45:41 AM »
Carmela is obviously right that any mob marraige would head down the road hers has.

Lastly, Carmela brings up an Italy trip that we never get to see her go on.

I still like it more than the finale. Just way more shit happening. A lot of the dream sequences of the show are cool but a bit tiresome at times. This one was packed with action from start to finish, and Richie digging his own grave only to get whacked by his fiance is one of the best deaths like you said. I never saw that coming either.

Carmela could have gone on the Italy trip in between seasons, and Bobby Fat fuck never cheated on his wife, but she died in a car accident which is much worse, so

Bobby prob couldn't cheat on his wife. Other than the coma episode(s) I love the dream sequences in this show.

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • wipeoff
« Reply #79 on: December 01, 2012, 04:47:31 AM »
When I said show I meant that episode. I loved the coma stuff oddly enough.

• Admin
« Reply #80 on: December 01, 2012, 05:16:18 PM »
EMPLOYEE OF THE MONTH

- Crazy bitch calls Tony's house once again, this time to complain about her sister not having her prosthetic leg yet. I love how long it takes for Carmela to finally pick up the phone one of these times. This Janice digging for money in the basement shit is comical. Funny that Tony is completely onto it.

- This episode begins the Ralphie covering up all of Jackie's indiscretions so that his mom doesn't find out. Nice when he brings Jackie along to do a pickup and the dickhead calls Ralphie a wop. Then it's awesome when they beat the shit out of this guy. "You oughta take an anger management course, fuckin racial slurs."

- Aw man the introduction of Ginny Sack. So many great and horrible jokes to be had at her expense. And they are had at the Bing. How can Paulie get outraged over this later in the show? It's great how Johnny always walks in during these joke sessions.

- Tony's attempt at a guilt trip to get Melfi to continue with her treatment is pretty effective. At the same time it seems to be a legitimate guilt trip in that he really means it.

- Fuck, I hate this part. Meaning the rape of course. Can't watch it. lol at Tony asking who ate the last piece of cake during Melfi's phone conversation with Carmela. It's ridiculous how police fuck up open and shut cases like this. Sucks when family resorts to attacking and blaming each other when things like this take place.

- AH SHIT THE FBI GETS SOME RELEVANT INFO ABOUT THE BENEFIT ROBBERY. NOT GOOD.

- Melfi and Tony's conversation at the first therapy session post-rape is interesting. I want so badly for Tony to do something to this rapist piece of shit, but at the same time I know that as the moral compass of this show it would be wrong for Melfi to play any part in it. Can't believe this fucker is employee of the month at some shithole wrap fast food joint.

- lol at Jackie, "don't worry Tony, I won't say anything about the moulinyan."

- Speaking of great and hilarious things, the Russians breaking into Janice's house. YES. And Janice getting her shit smacked up YES. LEG RETURNED TO SVETLANA YES. Janice's soul searching and conversion at the hospital was great too.

- Melfi's coke machine dream is quite interesting. Great when that rapist gets chewed up by the big bad rottweiler. If only Tony was to find out about all this. The end scene is p. great, was nice when Tony made his list and offered to go to behavioral therapy, but previous events in this episode dictate Melfi isn't up for that at all. Of course she can't say anything about the rape though, it would ruin the show.

Video:

Interesting episode but not one for the YouTube. Anyhow, the Melfi storylines have wavered back and forth between seeming aimless and right on point since mid-season 2. This was way on point as you learn a whole shitload about her character. That being said, from here on out her character becomes increasingly less notable from season to season, and it takes a long time to build towards her breaking it off with Tony when it was so close here. There is one flaw in this episode, namely that violence against women lurched from wrong to hilarious and back to wrong. That was strange.

• Admin
« Reply #81 on: December 01, 2012, 06:49:49 PM »
ANOTHER TOOTHPICK

- Awkward first therapy session with Carmela in the room. Of course Carmela was going to explode in some sense, most people would, but lots of people wouldn't really defend their therapist either. So this is a bit unusual.

- This cop storyline is interesting in that it reminds you what type of person Tony really is. Brings some levity to the series, as you totally understand how he runs over everyone in his path who dares to oppose him. Even regular people who are just doing their job. Of course, Tony doesn't wear a seatbelt in his car, it's indicative of his personality, so that's not surprising. His initial behavior with the police officer is amusing though. Hilarious that Carmela approves of it to some extent in that she thinks the police officer is wrong to write him up for speeding which is just lol

- Aw this shit is sad. Mustang Sally destroys this guy, it's nice to find out he's Vito's brother so there's some payback for this attack with the putter. Shit this guy gets FUCKED UP. Ralph's joke in the hospital makes me want to see him get ended immediately. So does Jackie's declaration of wanted violence against Mustang Sally. What a toolbag. Paulie putting that dope in his place was one of the best things so far this season. As was fat ass Vito breaking into the Whitman's chocolate.

- Doubling down on awkward, and this Artie infatuated with Adriana is MAD awkward. I dislike this storyline and find it so awkward that I nearly want to fast-forward past it which is quite rare for this show.

- Tony agreeing with Bobby's dad to do the hit on Mustang Sally is really messed up. It's obvious somethings up with Junior considering how he's acted all episode. Well it turns out it wasn't Tony's idea, so this isn't really his fault.

- Artie's passive-aggressive comments and behavior towards Chris is really agitating. Chris is usually so quick to anger that I'm surprised he didn't actually stab Artie in the eye as opposed to just threatening him. WHOA SHIT TONY SLAPS ARTIE and gives him the total emasculating treatment. Artie calls his wife a cunt and I laughed at that unfortunately.

- Bobby finding out that Junior didn't do anything about the situation with his dad was a little saddening, but Junior's justification was quite on point. But when Junior saw him coughing like that, tried to tell him he couldn't do it and was told by Bobby Sr. that he was dead anyway, that was a pretty harsh scene. Also, the more often Johnny Sack is in this show the more you realize how much he will become a problem for Tony later. He has a knack for getting in other people's shit.

- Charmaine is one of very few levelers in this show. Of course she's right in that accepting Tony's proposal allows Artie to be a front for him, even though Artie gets all wound up and can't see the truth for what it really is.

- TIME FOR THE HIT. MUSTANG SALLY YOU GOIN DOWN. His trick to get this guy to get him a glass of water before blowing his shit up was amazing. But oh no he missed and blew his ear off then had to wrestle with this motherfucker to BLOW HIS BRAINS ALL OVER THE FUCKIN CEILING. Aw man then he shoots that one fucker straight through the chair with the evilest grin on his face and blood all over his shit. THEN HE (a lung cancer patient) SMOKES A CIGARETTE. WHAT A GANGSTER. Oh no then he wigs out during one of his attacks, drops his inhaler and crashes into a telephone pole. Game over for that crazy old dude. Junior's morbid questions were so weird., but then he completely loses his shit and starts throwing stuff everywhere without realizing it. Old dudes bonanza this time.

- Artie and Charmaine blowing up at each other was real neat, Artie always seems to get the short end of the stick.

- Junior's cancer reveal was a whoa shit first time through. Totally unexpected until the earlier events in this episode. Tony pledging not to tell anyone only to tell Janice immediately after was comical in how realistic that is.

- Love how the FBI got fucked over by something as random as Meadow needing a lamp for a biology lab. His feigned shock over a black guy stealing her bicycle was er...interesting. At least nobody tried to make Meadow leave the lamp at the house.

- Artie with this earring, how absolutely horrible and awkward this whole situation is. His advances towards Adriana are so creepy, like, uh...facepalming my whole way through this crap.

- Junior's confession to Bobby that he has cancer is sad, but his interest in the TV show moreso than this conversation, not so much. It's like a false sad.

Videos:

This episode has a TON going on. I think the amount of storylines used here were juggled quite nicely. Only one I didn't like was Artie's, but it's necessary to advance the story along as clearly both Bucco's were not that happy with each other.  Good stuff, I really have nothing more to elaborate on with this one.

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • wipeoff
« Reply #82 on: December 02, 2012, 01:55:29 AM »
Was there ever a point to Pussy being in the mirror? Did they say why they did that? I remember being shocked when I saw it too, but confused as well. The only thing I can think of was that they were at a funeral, so it's a callback to an earlier death? I don't know.

I'd be relieved if my mom died too if she tried to have me WHACKED

Offline Byron The Bulp

• Byron the bulb
  • Byron the bulb
« Reply #83 on: December 02, 2012, 02:56:00 AM »
Next up is the one episode that I don't know if I could ever re-watch even though it's maybe one of the three or four most important ones in the show's whole run.

Offline JAxlMorrison

« Reply #84 on: December 02, 2012, 03:24:25 AM »
Next up is the one episode that I don't know if I could ever re-watch even though it's maybe one of the three or four most important ones in the show's whole run.

At first I thought you meant the Melfi rape episode, until I scrolled up. Always fast fwd that scene.

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • wipeoff
« Reply #85 on: December 02, 2012, 03:38:35 AM »
Melfi rape scene is not as brutal as Ralphie repeatedly tossing a Stripper's head against a thick metal railing. That CLANG gets me every time.

Was there a controversy surrounding that scene? I didn't watch the show during its initial run, but I vaguely remember it being talked about on CNN and other Talking Head shows.

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • wipeoff
« Reply #86 on: December 02, 2012, 03:49:17 AM »
Someone from the NYC area should check out her yoga school and try to bang her:

http://www.arielkileyyoga.com/

She doesn't look like she's aged much in the past ten years, yoga must work.

• Admin
« Reply #87 on: December 02, 2012, 05:30:56 PM »
UNIVERSITY

- This episode is all sorts of messed up. Tony's thank you gift from Tracee showcases her naivety which only further highlights what tragically happens later in this hour.

- Ralphie shitting on Jackie Jr at the dinner when his own moms + Tony and Carmela are there is p. hilarious.

- Everything about Noah makes me want to punch this doucher in the face. From his stupid comments about what did you think when you met me, to the stupid fuckin way he acts later...just ugh fuck this stupid guy and all people like him. This rich kid syndrome shit is detestable. Neat touch for Meadow to take her x-acto out of the room in case Caitlin got even more wonky than just pulling her hair out. And wtf this Noah talking about being used to the mean streets is he for real? The moment of Meadow losing her virginity, dunno if that's supposed to be important in the context of the show or not, is tainted by him. Maybe that's supposed to represent how wack it is to save your virginity only to more likely than not give it away to someone not deserving. I dunno.

- VIP room has great parts and not so great parts. Before and way before gag was the best gag that Paulie would later repeat to somebody else. Tracee trying to get up on Tony, way awkward and not so great. Oh man this fuckface Ralph with the Gladiator quotes. Biggest sociopath in the whole show by far. His line to Tracee about how many cocks she sucked tonight, mad fucked up. And then to Gigi this sequence

Ralph Cifaretto: Where's Tony?
Gigi Cestone: Gettin' his weasel greased.
Ralph Cifaretto: Oh, your kid brother's here?

goddamn and then he says he has a cousin that's a fag. This dude is outrageous. And then with the lock and chain swinging it around at Georgie what the fuck it pans to Tony getting his dick sucked in the middle of it what a visual and Ralph cracks the guy in the head with the fuckin lock. This guy is a complete cocksucker.

- Tracee continually presenting herself to Tony in this fashion as a daughter would to her father is really sad. I guess it's different cause her tits are hanging out but the overall point is the same, she just wants approval and to be treated like a human, but Tony just doesn't get it.

- Caitlin with the homeless lady that talks all that gibberish shit and has newspaper hanging out of her ass is a traumatizing scene.

- Ralphie and the police officer double-teaming Tracee while she's crying is disgusting. Right now is probably the dirtiest and most disgusted I've ever felt while watching a TV show. To be honest I'm surprised that my mom was able to make it through this episode in the past. It's horrible.

- Meadow starting to see through Noah right after sleeping with him is quite interesting. Don't quite get that whole dynamic to a point where I can pontificate about it, because something like that where I would feel different about a woman after sleeping with her has never happened to me. Caitlin pestering Noah while he was writing his paper was funny, it's great that his grade sucks.

- Ralph's scene at Tracee's place makes me sick too, and it isn't all because of Ralph. Silvio showing at Tracee's apartnment like a slave owner makes for a strange show, when he punches her that is messed up as fuck. Always knew there was a reason I liked Paulie more than him, now I remember. Strange that Ralph finds the abuse of her entertaining.

- The dynamics when Meadow has to tell Noah's dad that Tony is in waste management are interesting. Gotta be embarrassing. The restraining order by Noah against Caitlin typifies everything I hate about these rich kid types. Their entitlement to selective insulation is frustrating.

- Tracee talking back to Ralph in front of everyone was bad news from the beginning. 

"I love you too, baby. Hey, if it's a boy, we'll name him after me. If it's a girl, we'll name it Tracee after you... that way she could grow up to be a cocksuckin' slob just like her mother. Are you out of your fucking mind?"

Horrendous, disgusting comment, can't find anything funny about that on any level. Then she asks him if this all makes him feel like a man and he goes to town. Head against the guardrail twice was tough to watch, but at least you couldn't see her face or that scene would have been even more difficult to watch. Then this stupid sack of shit walks back into the Bing all casual and makes up his lies, if only Tony had killed this fuck right at that moment. Who cares about rules saying you can't hit a made guy, Tony's the boss, would have been great if he beat him to death right then.

- Noah laying the breakup line on Meadow was one of the only things (maybe the only thing) in this episode that made me happy, because of course we wouldn't see him anymore on this show. His attempted breakdown of her faults was vicious.

- Tony having to lie about what's dragging him down during the appointment with Melfi was quite sad. Of course he seems to realize that, maybe he could have done something about this from the beginning.

- Stripper song at the end and throughout is a great one.

Videos:

It's pretty obvious what the points of this episode are, one is to set up Ralph as a major foe for Tony and showcase how detestable he is as little of him has been shown to this point. Another is to contrast the lives of two women who are approximately of the same age from different backgrounds. Don't need to say anything more about that as many people focus upon that as a main talking point for this episode, so I'll move on. Tony obviously should have done something about the Ralphie-Tracee situation from the start, but Tony has an obvious problem with doing the right thing until it's too late. If Davey had killed himself, he'd probably have felt the same way. Richie, he should have gotten rid of after the shit with Beansie, but he didn't do shit about it even after he later crippled Beansie and caused all that other damage. Jackie Jr's another one, Tony talked all that bullshit about him not getting caught up in the life, but when it comes down to it Tony just lets him hang around his conversations all the time and we know what happens in the end as a result of not being more forcible in cutting him off at the knees. Letting Ralph be captain and letting him handle the esplanade too. There are countless instances of this throughout the whole series, unfortunately this has the worst and most brutal outcome (that I can remember right now anyway).

• Admin
« Reply #88 on: December 02, 2012, 05:43:48 PM »
Melfi rape scene is not as brutal as Ralphie repeatedly tossing a Stripper's head against a thick metal railing. That CLANG gets me every time.

Was there a controversy surrounding that scene? I didn't watch the show during its initial run, but I vaguely remember it being talked about on CNN and other Talking Head shows.

The actress claimed there was, and I dunno but I suppose there should be. Parts of it were horrific, but I don't even think the beating is the worst scene in the show. The double team was worse to me in part because of the way it was shot; during the beating you don't see her face, during the other part you do, and it's tough to watch.

Offline Zetterberg is Go

« Reply #89 on: December 03, 2012, 08:59:57 AM »
Thankfully these are the last two disgusting sex scenes in the show. I will never get the purpose of those scenes.

• Admin
« Reply #90 on: December 04, 2012, 03:37:14 PM »
SECOND OPINION

After the last episode, I had to take a little bit away from the show. Little bit over.

- lol at the dream about the FBI giving Junior hassle at his stomach surgery. You really learn a lot about Junior in this episode. The false dawn after his surgery is quite unfortunate.

- Paulie giving Chris a hard time is amazing shit, always. Telling Chris to take his clothes off to search for a wire was hilarious. "Before I was breakin' balls, now you're beginning to worry me." then lol at I guess you could call that a dick.

- I never went to my school's Washington DC trip, that was by choice because I honestly didn't fuckin' care. If I had it to do over again I'd go. At AJ's age most kids would say they're not going, so I get it. It's things like this that bring a greater personal connection to the show.

- Oh man the fish. He then goes on to whack Georgie over the head with it, but the prior showing of his dream about Pussy pretty much invalidates that part of the scene and I've nearly forgotten about it already.

- I don't have much to say about Carmela's session with Melfi, it's one of those things that you pay a super amount of attention to but may not have anything to say about it once it's over.

- Junior's positivity regarding his doctor, in large part because his name is John Kennedy was a good touch. That's the kind of thing old people hold onto, you know.

- Adriana with the shoes highlights her lack of innocence. Which I had completely forgotten about when this subject came up earlier. Egging on criminal activity = implicit

- Tony's rant about Pussy and Angie was unbelievable, it's always the FBI. The rage comes up from repressed guilt but he says some wild shit in these kind of instances.

- lol at Adriana's story about giving Penn Jilette head. what the fuck...Chris throwing her out of bed was pretty funny. Amazing seeing Paulie knock on Chris' door and tell him that he was gonna search his room. Plus finding the shoes and Patsy taking them...awesome. WHAT THE FUCK at Paulie sniffing Adriana's panties...THAT'S SOME BOB BARRON DEVIANT SHIT GOING ON THERE.

- Carmela sitting in the hallway at Meadow's dorm all alone is really sad stuff. Being shunned by Meadow is, you know...not nice either. lol at Meadow saying she lost a wonderful man because of Tony. Getdafuckouttahere

- Fuckin EW at this shake Junior was gonna make before he turned on the blender without its lid. Heh at "if you're gonna lie to me tell me there's a broad out there who's gonna tongue my balls." Accusing Baccala of eating White Castle, excellent once again. "Anthony is a cunt hair away from owning all Northern Jersey - and I am that cunt hair. " bwhahahahahahahaha

- Tony taking a bat to Angie's house and bashing out her car's front window was quite uncool. His comment about the Cadillac was typical Tony. How does this lady turn into a body shop owner, that's what I wanna know. Talk about role reversal.

- Carmela with the donation business, well to be honest I feel the same way Tony does. Fuck that shit. Finding out Carmela sneaks cigarettes was a revelation, never guessed that. It makes you understand why she does when Tony bitches about the orange juice having too much pulp in it. Btw I don't like any pulp in mine.

- DEATH PANEL

- Chemotherapy is one of my worst fears, and because I have stomach issues, uh, fuck that would suck. Junior's trials with it are portrayed to be no fun. Tony going down to the golf course to find and squeeze that Kennedy prick brought me a lot of satisfaction, ignoring patients like that is wrong, fucked up, and it happens all the time. Walking him into the lake and knocking off his hat, YES WHAT A THING TO DO. Also Furio as Mr. Williams calling golf a STUPIDA FACKIN GAME YES

- Chris with some skeeze establishes him on that level with everyone else, which to my knowledge has not happened yet in this show. Paulie telling him they'll have a problem if Chris keeps on whining is a nice predecessor line to Pine Barrens.

- Old dude psychiatrist that Carmela sees properly represents the reality of what this show is and what the Sopranos are. Most people would like to ignore it, and I certainly do, but everything he says is the truth obviously. Show needed an introduction of harsh reality. This guy knew she wasn't going to do anything she told him to do. And of course a few minutes later we discover that she just needs to be bought off like everyone else who comes in contact or has dealings with Tony. We don't find out if they go out to dinner though :(

Videos:

Another good one, much different from the last that was filled with all kinds of abhorrent shit.

• Admin
« Reply #91 on: December 04, 2012, 05:12:09 PM »
HE IS RISEN

- lol Caitlin on X at the party, ain't that the last shit that crazy chick needs. Weird to see Jackie as the one dealing out the drugs, but then again he's a piece of shit so not surprising.

- Ralph with "read 'em and suck my dick" fucking LOL. At least Tony showing up made him leave, everyone else shows up to kiss ass as always but Ralph is a moron, he wasn't gonna say anything at all and what a mistake that would have been. Paulie's overinsistence on killing guys fast is usually correct, although never acted upon, if Tony had, shit would be way different. Silvio telling Tony to apologize or bump him up to captain, at this point in the episode, just sounds crazy. Upon hearing Ralph's conversation with his crew, even more so. Joey Pants is a great actor, why doesn't this guy get better work?

- This creep checking out Meadow's tits while she's knocked out from X and booze, perv. No wonder women think all men are like this. I BLAME TV.

- The reverend is a piece of shit, taking stolen turkeys, but hey I JUST REALIZED THIS IS STRAIGHT SOCIALISM. TAKE TURKEYs FROM CORPORATE GROCERY STORE AND GIVE THEM TO POOR FOLKS FROM THE CHURCH.

- Meadow-Jackie conversation between both mothers is interesting. Tony walking straight in with a big ass turkey and telling Carmela to cancel on Rosalie and Ralph coming to their house on Thanksgiving, totally hilarious. Never even told her why. Carmela's lie was cold.

- I knew where this Gloria storyline was going to go the first time I saw her. Exactly where.

- Melfi and the viewer learning that Tony put her recommended book to good use was a good touch, totally unexpected and I had completely forgotten about it.

- oh God Janice's narcoleptic boyfriend. Amazing. This is also where Tony has the vision linking Meadow to Tracee and that's pretty much something everyone was thinking all along. Then they pan to the Aprile + Ralph's depressing ass Thanksgiving and I'm glad my family isn't like that at all. We're always happy on Thanksgiving. LOL at Tony launching food at the Narcoleptic dude's head. "Have you heard the good news. He is risen." WOW can't stop laughing at this whole scene. Jackie's trying so hard to get his dick wet that I nearly feel bad for him. I wish after this scene he had hunted down Noah and wrecked him for causing him this discomfort.

- Funny how all the guys talk shit about Tony disinviting Ralph to Thanksgiving. And hey other Paulie shows up for the first time. Silvio's line about how stress is killing Gigi is quite prescient.

- Johnny Sack is a great character, it would have been nice for him to be more involved earlier in the show, but what you gonna do? Trying to sneakily broker a deal between Ralph and Tony was something right up his alley the whole time. He's great at manuevering his way through decisions and getting people to get along. Ralph trying to buddy up to Jackie like a father-son relationship was a terrible idea.

- These scenes with Eliott and Melfi are a consequence of Chase and company not really knowing what to do with her character. At this immediate point they detract from the rest of the things going on in this show. I think I will have less to say about this recurring element than anything else in the whole series.

- Way Tony handles Ralph at Vesuvio is outstanding, but I can't understand how Tony is able to get food from their kitchen when the dining room is always empty. As far as I can gather that seems like a massive plothole. Tony pretty much handles Ralph like a gruff dad would to their stepchild. I mean shit, he even made him say what he did wrong and all that. And got him to say he disrespected the Bing, I mean, the capitulation was spectacular. As was Tony going straight back to eating his food. Of course, Ralph freaks out over all this, and Johnny has to play leveler once again. Of course, he does a great job of it, well as good as he can do. It's like handling children.

- Gigi dying on the toilet is a rough way to go. I was thinking that being in the shower when an earthquake happens and getting slowly crushed to death while nude is something that would be just as bad, but on the toilet, wow. Junior and Tony talking about Gigi's position as leader of his crew while he's in the middle of dying makes for good viewing. In the end Tony doesn't have to look indecisive at all or worry about any of that stuff. Looking at these fuckin' sad sacks who could take over the crew is amazing cinematography as it pants down the line. No different than choosing which woman you want to be your wife and looking down the line at a bunch of 3 and 4's.

- Ralph showing back up at Vesuvio, this time being met with much better news is quite unfortunate, I can't stand that prick. I enjoy Tony not sugarcoating his decision in any way or validating Ralph as an individual. I take the title of the episode literally in that Ralph has risen from dead man walking to captain of his own crew. Also, lol, no drink.

- Meadow jacking (pun not entirely intended) Jackie's car only to piledrive it into a ditch  was something I didn't totally understand, I mean....why and what the fuck. This scene is one of the worst acted that I've seen on television in weeks, guy who plays Jackie has no chops and the lines were absolutely terrible.

- The end scene sorta highlights a thing I've wondered each time I've watched through the show, how does Tony pull broads like these? It's the initial part of it that I don't entirely understand. lol straight to the Stugots and I'm through with this one.

Videos:

The blight of Jackie and Meadow's scene with the car aside, this was a great watch and I had more fun watching this than any episode yet. Sure, it's not the best one, but the comedic value is off the charts and there is a ton of shit going on. Maybe it crowds an episode but on the second, third, fourth time through, those are the best ones to watch. I enjoyed it greatly. At this point I'm pretty sure this is the best season of all of them, that's without a major conflict throughout the season and without things going on over multiple episodes for quite a few people in the show. Interesting.

Offline CletusVanDamme

• BlackFlagg
« Reply #92 on: December 04, 2012, 05:18:40 PM »
- This creep checking out Meadow's tits while she's knocked out from X and booze, perv. No wonder women think all men are like this. I BLAME TV.
Don't forget him saying something like "If you weren't Tony Sopranos daughter.." pretty much indicating that if she had a regular run of the mill father he'd date rape her while she was passed out.

• Admin
« Reply #93 on: December 04, 2012, 06:24:02 PM »
Don't forget him saying something like "If you weren't Tony Sopranos daughter.." pretty much indicating that if she had a regular run of the mill father he'd date rape her while she was passed out.

Yep, he's a sick dude, but I don't think his behavior is all that uncommon amongst young dudes his age. Which is pretty gross.

• Admin
« Reply #94 on: December 04, 2012, 06:28:07 PM »
THE TELLTALE MOOZADELL

- Not to be forgotten in the events of this episode is that it's Carmela's birthday. AJ gets her The Matrix on DVD which is not only quite funny, but odd considering that Joey Pants is in it. So in this universe does Joe Pantoliano exist? Meadow charging her gift onto her mom's credit card was, er...don't know of any word to describe that. Oh man at the birthday party thing Con te partirĂ² PLAYS AGAIN. The Jackie-AJ dynamic is quite interesting as is Janice walking out of the bathroom with a coke nose.

- The Emeril look-alike getting all pissed at losing his club over the Vikings is a great little part. As is Furio throwing liquor in the guy's face. BAM! So Adriana gets the club which is a nice scene and all, however tainted by what happens there to lead to her death.

- Interesting to find out that Carmela isn't feeling the Meadow-Jackie thing, but we get a great line when Tony calls Noah, Jamal Ginsburg the Hasidic Homeboy. What the hell. Meadow doing papers for this clown makes him even easier to dislike.

- AJ at the school vandalism is dumb as fuck, the kind of thing you think is cool with your friends but if it goes on your record and shit something you'll be mad about your whole life.Tony blowing his gasket at AJ is always interesting. IIRC I was suspended from school three or four times for fighting and the like and never received that kind of treatment.

- So we find out Davey Scatino's in a mental health facility over in Nevada. Well then.

- Carmela later telling Rosalie that Ralph is a real find is a massive LOL IF YOU ONLY KNEW type moment.

- This episode portrays Tony as a massive hypocrite. He went on about his mother's birthday and that bullshit to AJ but next thing you know he's trying to sleep with this Gloria bitch ON HIS WIFE'S BIRTHDAY. If the point of this episode is to make me detest Tony for a while, it does a great job.

- Paulie with the random facts, this time about snakes, is just too much. "How can you trust a guy who can literally go fuck themselves." This then leads into Tony having the talk with Jackie, giving him the lay of the land. So what happens with this fuckhead later, he can't say that he didn't get a warning beforehand.

- WTF Artie randomly in the crowd at the first gig for Adriana's club. Never spotted that before. I love Furio and that Benny dude throwing that dealer guy Matush out of the club on his ass. Jackie trying to deal with the Matush situation, acting like he's somebody of importance, seems so stupid. How is he gonna take care of it?

- Completely tuned out during the Tony-Gloria scene. I find this detestable.

- AJ not getting in trouble by his school for the incident was, well, not interesting but I know of a somewhat similar situation of an athlete who went to the University of Arizona on a full ride after a school related incident. Not kicked off the football team in high school, just nothing. So this is reflective of our current culture regarding sports in school. Their attempt at punishment kinda fails, cause everyone around their house already does shit so there's no way to give people something to do.

- Gloria and Tony's interactions with Melfi are interesting in their own way. Both liars. Gloria acts offended at the question. More later.

- Jackie's attempt at taking care of it was awful.  Also his bail out when Tony walks in the room, emergency exit be damned, smooth move. Lying to Matush was a horrendous mistake, telling him that it's alright but he can't deal inside of the club, real stupid. The difference between him and Tony is made clear when Matush is in the hospital, Jackie won't grab his bedpan, but when Beansie was in the hospital Tony had no problem helping him blow his nose and stuff. Jackie asking for a gun from Ralph just makes shit worse. Not like Ralph can turn him down either.

- Again with another scene I don't like based on what's already happened in other parts of this episode. This has done a good job of destroying how easy it is to relate to Tony on any level whatsoever or like him. Tony's interaction with Melfi gives the impression of him being so elated over his week that he's just like here, have this extra money, and shockingly Melfi accepts it on some level (to pay for Jason's books). But that should not have happened, she should have thrown the money in the trash as such a scene messes with her use as a moral pillar for the show. Or maybe I'm way off here. I dunno.

- Tony's response to Jackie being at the casino business was exactly what you'd expect, and correct of course, nobody wants their daughter to wind up with a degenerate. Sucks that Tony has vouched for Jackie to Carmela only for him to begin to betray his trust.

No videos worth posting at all. Perhaps my least favorite episode, totally just...not up my alley, I didn't enjoy it at all. No further comments regarding that in particular. I also realized that Junior is so often portrayed as a foe for Tony when without doubt he's a much less evil person than his nephew. The show pits you against him at times, when if the roles were reversed, you'd think Tony was a sick bastard in need of putting down, and not his uncle. Junior was absent this time, which probably served to further highlight the difference in my mind.

Offline Zetterberg is Go

« Reply #95 on: December 05, 2012, 12:23:31 PM »
The end scene sorta highlights a thing I've wondered each time I've watched through the show, how does Tony pull broads like these?

I get that he's a mob boss and all that but he's also balding, overweight and despicable as fuck on top of treating women like shit so I hear you on that.

Offline Byron The Bulp

• Byron the bulb
  • Byron the bulb
« Reply #96 on: December 06, 2012, 01:24:45 AM »
Alpha male self-confidence, y'all.

• Admin
« Reply #97 on: December 06, 2012, 01:32:33 PM »
...TO SAVE US ALL FROM SATAN'S POWER

- The flashback to 95 when Tony's on the boardwalk was a great story to introduce. One of my favorites, go figure that when he really went to the boardwalk he dreamed about in Funhouse, he'd think about Pussy's death like this. Pussy's comment about always wanting a house by the ocean was a strange comment, considering that now he has one in the ocean. Junior having hijacked Jackie's truck to precipitate this 95 thing was something I'd forgotten about.

- TRANSFER CANNOLIS. Heh. Not so heh when Tony then has a panic attack, Carmela doesn't realize it though. Ew when Janice is insistent on cooking Christmas Day. The idea of her cooking, just sounds like one of those low-rent ass meals you'd get at a shitty Thanksgiving gathering. Didn't this Aaron dude just say something about not drinking liquor cause it wasn't a Christian thing to do, then rebuffing (I forget whose) comment about wine being good enough for Jesus. But now he has a wine cup next to his seat. Guy's weird.

- During the Christmas tree and Santa suit scene, when Ray talks about Pussy being a cocksucking rat, lol that's a good one. Tony as Santa wouldn't have been a good fit. Also, transferring cannoli's was money laundering (duh). Valery from GOAT episode which is next up makes his first appearance here as a drunken slob.

- Silvio's dream with Pussy caught in a mouse trap is a strange one. Good thing he and Tony didn't have that conversation when the lamp was still in Tony's basement. Flashback to the sitdown with all the OJ coverage is quite something. Junior getting mad over Pussy not being there was funny. Tony with hair is funny.

- lol at Paulie calling Charmaine a piece of ass, her responding by telling him that two guys over at some other table were FBI was a good burn.

- The aftermath of Tony and Furio tearing up this Igor dude is great. lol stuck that fool in a store window, Janice's reaction is unreal, her actually being happy with Tony is a new thing.

- Bobby walking into Satriale's was perfect timing on the Santa suit conundrum. Paulie being the first to catch on was great, as was his demand for Bobby to wear the Santa suit. He's the best.

- Tony getting bombed on by Charmaine basically telling him to get the fuck out was some show. Ha at them going to some other strip club and seeing Jackie fuckin Junior there getting a lap dance when he said his friend was in the hospital. Love when Tony drags him into the bathroom and beats the piss out of him. Everyone would love to do that to some dude who did their daughter wrong like this. Finding Jackie's gun and saying he bottomed out before kneeing him in the fuckin' nads was great. Carmela's suspicion of Tony and Charmaine wanting to hook up is hilarious based on what we know and she does not.

- Melfi preparing to outright ask Tony about the Pussy thing, or whatever she was going to say when she started talking, kinda wish I got to hear that.

- Bobby putting on the suit was hilarious, shit didn't even fit. But, um...flashback to Pussy in the Santa suit and Tony's hypothesis that he was wearing a wire after getting upset when Paulie touched him is pretty sad to watch. Ridiculous that he walked back there at Satriale's to get information on Tony and Tony wasn't wise to it then. Throwing the ashtray at Chris was way unexpected as was the huge OOOOOOOOOOOOH that was let out by Paulie. Ha at young Jackie Jr and Chris being stuck with the job of leading kids over to Santa. Kid saying "fuck you Santa" was the best one-liner of all time. The OOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHH's during these parts are the absolute greatest.

- Contrast between Paulie and Tony's attitudes towards Pussy is a stark one. Tony being all depressed over it and Paulie being all like "fuck the guy" serves to highlight the differences between them.

- Jackie showing up at Tony's house with presents is dead fucking stupid. If Tony was to out this guy it would have been great, but that's not the kind of man he is. His bullshit about the fashion institute was nauseating. Singing fish present was a great call-back to previous episodes, that was something I didn't expect first time through. I associate that item with this show for life.

Videos:

Wanted to share the bottomed out scene but couldn't find it. Anyway, this is a great precursor to what I think is the best episode of this show. The flashback scenes were ace and Tony was at his best this time. And they separated him from that broad. Bobby as Santa was fitting as well. All good.

Offline Byron The Bulp

• Byron the bulb
  • Byron the bulb
« Reply #98 on: December 06, 2012, 04:36:30 PM »
Charmaine is really interesting because I'm pretty sure she's the only semi-major recurring character who never, ever buys into Tony's shit.

• Admin
« Reply #99 on: December 06, 2012, 06:03:53 PM »
PINE BARRENS

This is the only episode so good that I rewatched it while on my first run through the series. An honor reserved for only this and The Wire episode with DeAngelo's explanation of chess. I've been anticipating this all week.

- lol'd at "Gloria" playing when she showed up at the Stugots. Answering someone else's phone is some foul shit. Irina's gag about being Mrs. Washington from AJ's highschool was a good ad-lib. Gloria going on the rag over Tony going on to tell her the truth was quite something.

- Paulie getting his nails done asking for the satin finish was funny enough that I could hardly type this part out, which won't be the first time today.

- Jackie with the obli-que line over Scrabble, only time he ever acted out a scene well. Also this fool spelling out ass may be something to place in my playbook, however that doesn't go too well for him. Bailing out when my girl's sick though, not going in my playbook.

- Now we begin with the Paulie and Christopher stuff. Paulie's racist shit about 30 people living at Valery's pad has me rolling. THEN fuckin' with his remote. In the middle of that he said Valery probably wiped his ass bare-handed when he came to this country. AH SHIT BREAKIN HIS REMOTE. BASHING BOTTLE OVER VALERY'S HEAD ROLLING AROUND ON THE GROUND. CHRIS GOT THE SLEEPER HOLD ON AND GETS RAMMED INTO THE TURNBUCKLE. PAULIE BE CHOKIN HIM WITH THE LAMP AH SHIT CHRIS HOLDIN HIM DOWN NOW AND IT'S JUST ABOUT OVER. LOL at rolling Valery up in the rug and throwing him in the trunk of Paulie's caddy.

- Ha at Tony taking the call while in the middle of getting it on and then this fool Paulie lies about Valery sucker-punching him. The phone breaking up was a great plotline that summed up an extremely common thing which happened at that time. Look how much great shit comes of this episode just from that. These two fools with their Pine Barrens idea and not eating before they go there. This shit taught me never to not eat when going on a long trip.

- Tony's confession about Gloria to Dr. Melfi is interesting, it's obvious why he's drawn to her but he just doesn't understand it at all.

- Valery being alive coming out of the trunk was an interesting story, but totally expected. All they did was choke him out. Making this fool dig his own hole was idiotic, Valery's boistering however is not idiotic. Said he washes his balls with icewater bwahahahaha. If it was real that shovel shot on Chris would hurt pretty badly I'm guessing. That gunshot to Valery's head was a pretty good one. The ensuing phone call is the first time we've ever seen him talk shop in front of one of his kids (AJ).

- Tony's talk with Slava about Valery is quite the interesting one, you find out this fool is a straight out commando and whoa shit the entire rest of the series you think he's gonna come back for Paulie and Christopher's head.  Once again with the phone conversation, it's unreal.

Tony Soprano: [over the phone] It's a bad connection so I'm gonna talk fast! The guy you're looking for is an ex-commando! He killed sixteen Chechen rebels single-handed!
Paulie 'Walnuts' Gualtieri: Get the fuck outta here.
Tony Soprano: Yeah. Nice, huh? He was with the Interior Ministry. Guy's like a Russian green beret. He can not come back and tell this story. You understand?
Paulie 'Walnuts' Gualtieri: I hear you.
[hangs up]
Paulie 'Walnuts' Gualtieri: You're not gonna believe this. He killed sixteen Czechoslovakians. Guy was an interior decorator.
Christopher Moltisanti: His house looked like shit.

What an exchange.

- lol at Chris just shooting the air when he hears footsteps. But he killed Bambi :( Paulie lost his shoe!

- Meadow saved the Scrabble game and everything only for this douchebag to flake out on her. Man that's fucked up.

- Hahaha at Paulie telling Chris not to eat the berries on some random tree while whining about his foot this is one of the best things I've ever seen. Even better after they get in the car. "Could be out there stalking us." "With what, his cock?" These dudes freaking out over ketchup and relish and eating them is amazing. Paulie trying to turn the table on Chris to pass blame on him is more than a bit messed up.

- Paulie ripping the carpet out of the van and getting in a crazed rage, ranting at Tony is pretty fuckin' hilarious. His response to Chris when Chris says "we shoulda stopped at Roy Rogers" and Paulie says "Yeah and I shoulda fucked Dale Evans but I didn't" was an all-timer. His ensuing phone call leads to a scene with Gloria, which reminds me that it's great for Tony to have flaked out on her (except for that being because Carm's dad has glaucoma), her throwing a fit is amazing. LONDON BROIL OFF THE FUCKIN BRAIN BWHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. This is why you stick with your wife and don't fuck around. Bobby showing up at Junior's house in full out duck hunting gear is amazing.

- Meadow discovering that Jackie is cheating on her was one of those "YES FINALLY" kind of scenes that happen every so often in this show. What a pig, completely and totally busted.

- Paulie's car being gone was a whoa shit moment. Can't believe he was holding out on fuckin' Tic-Tacs. Chris responding by saying he's gonna go out to eat the berries was glorious, I can't believe what I'm watching. LOL Chris taking a leak right by Paulie's door and this old dude trying to pull rank on Chris only for Chris to say Paulie was gonna try to choke him. Paulie getting out of the car and stepping into Chris' piss only to get a gun pulled on him was some real serious shit. I think this young buck went too fuckin' long without drugs.

- Paulie's ghetto ass shoe is genius. The image of Paulie and Chris shuffling up the hill all cold and shit is just too much for me, so is Paulie shooting at his rug shoe. Glad they got found and then asking for Bobby's advice was a new moment, not something expected.

- Last scene with Tony and Melfi spelled out why he was interested in Gloria. She's just like his mom in nearly every way, but he didn't get it.

Videos:

This is without doubt the best episode of this show in my opinion, and my favorite in the history of all television. My theory is that Valery took Paulie's car and then bailed back to Europe. I thought the whole time through that he would pop back up to strangle Paulie, but it never happened. I don't really know how all this stuff could be going on in one shot yet come off so perfectly. All of the storylines provide a huge payoff for the viewer, other than finding out if Valery lived or died, but I'd say Paulie's car being gone from its spot made that pretty obvious. If I did 1-10 grades I'd give this like a 15. I haven't laughed this hard in days and doubt I will for a few more days.