Author Topic: The next CM Punk?  (Read 4018 times)

Description:

Offline Big Green

• The King of the Mountain
The next CM Punk?
« on: May 24, 2009, 05:26:38 AM »
Five years ago..........

- CM Punk was fresh off of a run as one of Raven's lackeys in TNA

- He was also one-half of the ROH Tag Team Champions with Colt Cabana

- He was feuding with Ricky Steamboat

- He was a month away from beginning the Samoa Joe series

- Was one of the biggest internet stars out there

Now..........

- He's a WWE main eventer

- Former World Heavyweight Champion

- One of the most over faces on the SmackDown roster

- One of the biggest stars out there

---

Do you guys see any of the current "internet stars" doing what Punk did and go from internet darling to mainstream wrestling darling?

Offline Obi Chris Kenobi

• Citizen 128
  • Personal Text goes here, Venkman
    • legitshook
The next CM Punk?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2009, 05:31:00 AM »
Matt Sydal seems to be doing well for himself.

Offline I Know You Like Sugar

• King Cucaracha
The next CM Punk?
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2009, 05:35:26 AM »
The thing is, Punk had backing within the company from Heyman which got him through the early period, something guys like Cabana and Claudio and Chris Harris didn't have. So it'll be tough for anyone unless they've got a friend in high places.

If Bryan Danielson doesn't pursue MMA, I truly believe he's talented enough to make it. And he's got influencial friends in the company already, like Regal.

Low Ki has a good shot too, but he's going to have to tone down his ringwork a little.

Offline Sabre

The next CM Punk?
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2009, 05:54:52 AM »
I wouldnt call Punk a main eventer.  He got the world title following the shift to PG due to him being straight edge.

Offline Scroby

• Low rent Indy Referee
The next CM Punk?
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2009, 06:02:21 AM »
If Northern California wrestlers had a better chance at getting noticed, I'd say there's quite a few guys out here who can make that list.
WRONG! I'm perfectly sane everyone else however is insane and is trying to steal my magic bag.

Offline Big Green

The next CM Punk?
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2009, 06:06:07 AM »
I wouldnt call Punk a main eventer.  He got the world title following the shift to PG due to him being straight edge.

He's been teasing challenging the current World Heavyweight Champion for a couple of weeks now. When a former World Champion challenges the current World Champion and is taken seriously, that screams MAIN EVENTER!

It seems like smarks STILL refuse to see Punk as a main eventer..

Offline The ghost of bps21

• Wade the Duck says: Your brush with Greatness is OVER!
The next CM Punk?
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2009, 06:11:30 AM »
I think that's probably because he loses in the second match of ppvs.  Even when he had his brief title run (because Hardy failed a drug test...) he was defending in the middle of the card. 

Offline Next USC #55

• Back In Style
The next CM Punk?
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2009, 06:13:48 AM »
And also, Punk isn't considered a main eventer because he has the Jericho circa 2000 role, which had the "more over than warranted" reaction from the office and the steadfast refusal to legitimize the character. The Miz has called out the multiple time World champion John Cena on numerous occasions, and nobody considers The Miz a bonafide main event act.

The next CM Punk?
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2009, 06:14:19 AM »
But...he's 4-0!

Offline Big Green

The next CM Punk?
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2009, 06:18:18 AM »
And also, Punk isn't considered a main eventer because he has the Jericho circa 2000 role, which had the "more over than warranted" reaction from the office and the steadfast refusal to legitimize the character. The Miz has called out the multiple time World champion John Cena on numerous occasions, and nobody considers The Miz a bonafide main event act.

The Miz also isn't a former World Heavyweight, Intercontinental, World Tag Team Champion and a 2-time holder of the Money in the Bank briefcase. Punk is also CONTINUING his feud with Umaga (a feud based around keeping him from challenging for the World Title). It's Booking 101, the face has to lose at first in order to get the fans behind him in his quest for revenge.

Punk jobbed to Umaga (a guy being pushed a monster), it's not like he's out there jobbing to random people.

How much more does WWE need to do for Punk in order for him to be a main eventer? Push him like Triple H in 2003?

The next CM Punk?
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2009, 06:18:51 AM »
Khali is a former world champion too.  It means just as much as it sounds like.

The next CM Punk?
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2009, 06:19:54 AM »
"How much more does WWE need to do for Punk in order for him to be a main eventer?"

Actually main eventing a ppv would be a step...

Offline Big Green

The next CM Punk?
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2009, 06:21:31 AM »
"How much more does WWE need to do for Punk in order for him to be a main eventer?"

Actually main eventing a ppv would be a step...

Isn't it pretty clear that they're building to that? They keep teasing Punk cashing in MITB, which means a WORLD TITLE shot.

Khali may be a former World Champion but he's not sniffing around the World Title scene right now (as Punk is) and thus he's not a main eventer. This smark cynicism around Punk is ridiculous.

The next CM Punk?
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2009, 06:23:29 AM »
"Isn't it pretty clear that they're building to that?"

No.

Even when he was champion he was booked as a midcard afterthought.  Thinking that things are going to be magically different this time based only on wanting them to be will just leave you dissapointed.

It's more clear that they don't see him as an Orton/HHH/Edge/Cena level guy than it is that they are going to give him the ball.

Offline Next USC #55

• Back In Style
The next CM Punk?
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2009, 06:24:29 AM »

The Miz also isn't a former World Heavyweight, Intercontinental, World Tag Team Champion and a 2-time holder of the Money in the Bank briefcase. Punk is also CONTINUING his feud with Umaga (a feud based around keeping him from challenging for the World Title). It's Booking 101, the face has to lose at first in order to get the fans behind him in his quest for revenge.

Punk jobbed to Umaga (a guy being pushed a monster), it's not like he's out there jobbing to random people.

How much more does WWE need to do for Punk in order for him to be a main eventer? Push him like Triple H in 2003?

It's actually simple. How about not demoting him to the tag titles (titles that the WWE supposedly have zero aspirations or plans for) immediately after dropping the World title that he hadn't lost directly. Or maybe I dunno, give him more mic time to establish his character to the audience beyond "This guy doesn't do drugs or whatever, he just loves wrestling!" that they know already about him.

The thing though is, I don't really think CM Punk has what it takes to be the kind of main event act people here wants him to be, at the very least, as far as his character is currently being portrayed.

The next CM Punk?
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2009, 06:24:54 AM »
However...if Hardy does leave...then they'll probably be forced to keep pushing Punk this time.  Man...this guy owes every success to Hardy being a flake.

Offline Big Green

The next CM Punk?
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2009, 06:26:19 AM »

It's actually simple. How about not demoting him to the tag titles (titles that the WWE supposedly have zero aspirations or plans for) immediately after dropping the World title that he hadn't lost directly. Or maybe I dunno, give him more mic time to establish his character to the audience beyond "This guy doesn't do drugs or whatever, he just loves wrestling!" that they know already about him.

The thing though is, I don't really think CM Punk has what it takes to be the kind of main event act people here wants him to be, at the very least, as far as his character is currently being portrayed.

The thing is, we can't act like Punk is some run of the mill WWE midcarder. The guy has accomplished a lot in his WWE tenure. He's held the ECW, World Heavyweight, Intercontinental and World Tag Team Titles. He's more accomplished than 90% of the roster.

WWE DOES hold him in high regard.

Offline Next USC #55

• Back In Style
The next CM Punk?
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2009, 06:27:29 AM »
Sure, but I suspect the office would much rather put the attention on Jeff Hardy if he wasn't so toxic to the term, "long term booking".

The next CM Punk?
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2009, 06:28:08 AM »
I think the first thing you need to do is realize why he won that world title...  That flat out never happens if Jeff Hardy's pee is clean.  Not exactly Brock beating Rock at Summerslam...

Offline Big Green

The next CM Punk?
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2009, 06:30:28 AM »
I think the first thing you need to do is realize why he won that world title...  That flat out never happens if Jeff Hardy's pee is clean.  Not exactly Brock beating Rock at Summerslam...

Right but the fact that CM Punk got that opportunity has to mean something. It's not like they didn't have others who could've gotten the belt.

Offline Next USC #55

• Back In Style
The next CM Punk?
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2009, 06:32:05 AM »
Punk was the closest thing to Jeff Hardy in the hierarchy. It was a no brainer that he'd replace Jeff in any plans. But like BPS said, and like I pointed out last summer, the angle Punk got to set up his cashing in, was clearly written with Jeff in mind. At least from my perspective.

Offline Big Green

The next CM Punk?
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2009, 06:36:12 AM »
Punk was the closest thing to Jeff Hardy in the hierarchy. It was a no brainer that he'd replace Jeff in any plans. But like BPS said, and like I pointed out last summer, the angle Punk got to set up his cashing in, was clearly written with Jeff in mind. At least from my perspective.

And he got to that point by accident?

Offline Next USC #55

• Back In Style
The next CM Punk?
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2009, 07:21:18 AM »
He got there because of his talent, not because the WWE strapped a rocket on his back. It's similar to Benoit pushes where you don't feel like he is THE guy, but he's got the belts and angles because he can wrestle and he has fans. Punk is an unique case where he SHOULD be a main event character but he can just as easily be a midcard character, and it's that flexibility that's going to ultimately hurt Punk's main event chances. Like I said, he went from being a World Champion to pairing up with Kofi Kingston to chase the tag titles and nobody blinked twice.

• King Cucaracha
The next CM Punk?
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2009, 07:42:39 AM »
Nobody can get wrestling fans off-topic quite like CM Punk.

Offline Jingus

The next CM Punk?
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2009, 09:06:01 AM »
The guy has accomplished a lot in his WWE tenure. He's held the ECW, World Heavyweight, Intercontinental and World Tag Team Titles. He's more accomplished than 90% of the roster.
You also just described Kane and Rob Van Dam.  Would you claim they're main eventers too? 

WWE DOES hold him in high regard.
Would you ever see Cena, HHH, Edge, Batista, Orton, or Undertaker jobbing out in the first match of a PPV? 

CM Punk has main evented exactly one PPV in his life, and that was being the first guy to get eliminated in the Chamber match at December 2 Dismember.  Bob Holly and Test were also in that one; would you call them main eventers?  If not, why not?  They've had exactly as many pay-per-view main events as Punk has. 

Even when Punk had the world title, he was never treated as a main eventer.  Bradshaw was the only top guy who put him over; the only other guy that he pinned in a title defense was Snitsky.  In the nearly three months that he had the belt, he only got the main event slot on Raw three times.  When he defended it on PPV, it was the third or fourth match from the top. 

BPS said it: to be a main eventer, you have to actually, y'know, have some main events.  And they have to be on PPV, otherwise Cody Rhodes is considered a main eventer too.  Punk does not fit that description at all. 

• King Cucaracha
The next CM Punk?
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2009, 09:10:57 AM »
Would you ever see Cena, HHH, Edge, Batista, Orton, or Undertaker jobbing out in the first match of a PPV?

No Way Out '09? Or how about JBL at Judgment Day last year, or was JBL not main eventer enough for you?

Don't worry Big Green, at least I answered your question!

Offline foleyfanforever88

The next CM Punk?
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2009, 09:39:06 AM »

No Way Out '09?

...Don't be stupid. The show ended with Edge holding up the World Title.

Offline Jingus

The next CM Punk?
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2009, 09:45:22 AM »
No Way Out '09?
He came back and won the main event too.  

Or how about JBL at Judgment Day last year, or was JBL not main eventer enough for you?
That was just a weird show.  I don't know why they thought that JBL/Cena should jerk the curtain, when there were several less-significant matches that came after it.  Also, it's not like this is an isolated incident for Punk, since he's spent most of his time since losing the belt at the bottom of the card.  There's even been two or three PPVs in the past year which he didn't appear on, and it wasn't because he wasinjured or taking time off or something like that.  He just wasn't considered important enough to even be booked on the show.  

And yes, JBL is barely a main eventer himself; he was Midcard 4 Life before suddenly winning the belt out of nowhere, and people still bitch that he didn't deserve it.  After his title reign he was de-pushed back down the card, only rarely poking his nose back into the top slot again.  

• King Cucaracha
The next CM Punk?
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2009, 09:48:42 AM »
Quote from: Jingus
BPS said it: to be a main eventer, you have to actually, y'know, have some main events.  And they have to be on PPV

Quote from: Jingus
And yes, JBL is barely a main eventer himself

Didn't he actually, y'know, main event PPVs while holding a World Title for almost a year?

SO HOW 'BOUT THEM INDY GUYS THIS THREAD WAS SUPPOSED TO BE ABOUT, HUH?

Offline Next USC #55

• Back In Style
The next CM Punk?
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2009, 09:55:27 AM »
I always got the feeling that the WWE would be much happier pushing Bryan Danielson than CM Punk. It feels like Danielson has the office's respect for some reason already, since they've been holding out a blank contract for Danielson to sign any day he wants to come to WWE. If the WWE was really behind Punk, they'd at least give him mic time. This is very important. Until he is given 15 minutes semi regularly to voice his intentions, opinions, etc, anything that tells the fan, "We gave this guy this time to talk because he has something to contribute to the angles, listen to him", he'll never be a true main eventer. It's just heels berating this small dude and Punk reiterating that he's awesome because he loves to wrestle.

Offline Amy pats fan

• P dot Roy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • hashtag trashbag
The next CM Punk?
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2009, 10:17:43 AM »
SO HOW 'BOUT THEM INDY GUYS THIS THREAD WAS SUPPOSED TO BE ABOUT, HUH?

The indy scene is pretty dire right now, and WWE doesn't exactly pounce on talent from the "major" indys with internet followings, plus there seems to be a general opinion among indy stars that they're above signing a developmental contract that would pay them less money in the short term and restrict their opportunities to work and force them to relocate and possibly be stuck in FCW for several years, with no guarantee of anything more than a cup of coffee on the main roster, so I don't really see there being a "next CM Punk" any time soon.  His career path was pretty unique for this day and age in professional wrestling, and he sure as hell paid his dues in OVW before getting a shot.

Offline Chris G

• Silence
The next CM Punk?
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2009, 10:18:47 AM »
It's just heels berating this small dude and Punk reiterating that he's awesome because he loves to wrestle.

Yeah, it's always "Competition is my addiction, I am disciplined in the martial arts, I'm straight edge, blah blah blah".

Offline Cool, Bad, & Handsome

• KOAB
The next CM Punk?
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2009, 10:31:06 AM »
Eh, if he could somehow change his bodytype, it would be Samoa Joe. Has the right connections, good enough worker in the eyes of a lot of people backstage (until someone would say quit stealing Japanese moves and be original). `He's also not that bad on the mic.

I would of liked to actually have seen him choose WWE over TNA in hindsight.

Offline Sabre

The next CM Punk?
« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2009, 10:59:56 AM »
I think it shows how serious they where with him holding the title when he lost it by not even being in the fucking match.

Offline Psycho Penguin

• Mitch Richmond > Michael Jordan
    • Twitter
The next CM Punk?
« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2009, 11:00:21 AM »
I don't watch independents, but I am seeing Evan Bourne have a chance of filling a Mysterio-like role, so if Evan Bourne's best friend in the company dies tragically in a few years, he has a good shot.

As for CM Punk, how many great matches has he really had in WWE?

Offline Psycho Penguin

• Mitch Richmond > Michael Jordan
    • Twitter
The next CM Punk?
« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2009, 11:00:58 AM »
I think it shows how serious they where with him holding the title when he lost it by not even being in the fucking match.

Would have been fine if they made a story out of it (I LOST THE TITLE AND WASN'T EVEN IN THE MATCH!) instead of them just basically forgetting about it after a Punk/Orton RAW match.

Offline Sabre

The next CM Punk?
« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2009, 11:06:42 AM »
Fair enough if they made an angle out of it, it would have made sence, but for the life of me i just dont understand why they took him out of the match for no reason.

Offline Amy pats fan

• P dot Roy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • hashtag trashbag
The next CM Punk?
« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2009, 11:25:10 AM »
That whole angle would have been great if they'd just followed up on it.  As is it worked to protect Punk, who was a weak/lucky champion in the booking, was great for Orton's comeback, and was great for Jericho after weeks of whining about not being in the match and getting the shit kicked out of him by Michaels earlier in the show to backdoor his way into the title.

If they were really serious with Punk they wouldn't have played out his "rematch" against Jericho on RAW and then blown off the issue with Orton in one short, shitty match with a BS finish.  He wasn't even on the next 2 PPVs after the Scramble match, then at Survivor Series he got eliminated in the middle of a match by Cody F'n Rhodes.

• KOAB
The next CM Punk?
« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2009, 11:47:05 AM »
I don't watch independents, but I am seeing Evan Bourne have a chance of filling a Mysterio-like role, so if Evan Bourne's best friend in the company dies tragically in a few years, he has a good shot.

John Morrison's heart explodes after breakfast with Bourne, Miz, and Punk?

Offline Big Green

The next CM Punk?
« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2009, 11:48:07 AM »
The guy has accomplished a lot in his WWE tenure. He's held the ECW, World Heavyweight, Intercontinental and World Tag Team Titles. He's more accomplished than 90% of the roster.
You also just described Kane and Rob Van Dam.  Would you claim they're main eventers too?   

I would claim that Kane circa 1998 and RVD circa 2006 were main eventers, yes.

CM Punk is in the middle of a storyline that has him sniffing the WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP as a former WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION. For fuck's sake people, CM Punk is a top guy in WWE.

Offline HTQ

The next CM Punk?
« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2009, 11:50:36 AM »
A top guy who hasn't main evented a PPV outside of the clusterfuck at December to Dismember.

Offline Big Green

The next CM Punk?
« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2009, 11:52:22 AM »
A top guy who hasn't main evented a PPV outside of the clusterfuck at December to Dismember.

He's a former World Heavyweight Champion who is currently sniffing around the current World Heavyweight Champion. Surely, that qualifies him as a top guy.

Offline HTQ

The next CM Punk?
« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2009, 11:54:25 AM »

He's a former World Heavyweight Champion who is currently sniffing around the current World Heavyweight Champion. Surely, that qualifies him as a top guy.
A top guy would at least have had a run on top of a couple of PPV's. Come back with your argument when Punk has headlined at least ONE PPV in a singles match.

Offline Amy pats fan

• P dot Roy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • hashtag trashbag
The next CM Punk?
« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2009, 11:55:23 AM »
The titles mean less than actual main event matches and main eventer TV/promo/angle time.  Punk had the belt, but he's never had the other two, even when he was the champion.  Until he gets the main eventer treatment he's not a main eventer.

Offline Next USC #55

• Back In Style
The next CM Punk?
« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2009, 11:56:45 AM »

You know, one example to use against that theory is Rey Mysterio. He was a former world champion who was challenging Edge for the belt some time later. No one really bought into him being a contender, and the WWE likes Rey considerably more than Punk. Punk isn't a top guy. He's a floater between the main events and upper midcard; just as RVD, Rey, Kane, etc were.

The next CM Punk?
« Reply #45 on: May 24, 2009, 12:00:45 PM »
Cena, Orton, HHH, Edge, Batista, Undertaker, HBK, Jericho, and Jeff are all more "main-event" than Punk is. You could argue that Rey and Big Show are as well. I don't think you can call the #12 guy on the roster a main-eventer without making an even more impressive title for the guys above him. To claim that Punk is on the same level as any of the first 8 guys I named is ridiculous. I love Punk and I hope someday that he will be on the same level as those guys, but right now he is an upper-midcarder who occasionally finds his way into a main-event feud/match..and saying otherwise doesn't change that.

Offline Big Green

The next CM Punk?
« Reply #46 on: May 24, 2009, 12:18:37 PM »
Cena, Orton, HHH, Edge, Batista, Undertaker, HBK, Jericho, and Jeff are all more "main-event" than Punk is. You could argue that Rey and Big Show are as well. I don't think you can call the #12 guy on the roster a main-eventer without making an even more impressive title for the guys above him. To claim that Punk is on the same level as any of the first 8 guys I named is ridiculous. I love Punk and I hope someday that he will be on the same level as those guys, but right now he is an upper-midcarder who occasionally finds his way into a main-event feud/match..and saying otherwise doesn't change that.

Cena, Orton, Big Show, HHH and Batista are on RAW

HBK and Undertaker are inactive

Edge and Jericho are heels so they don't enter into the equation.

CM Punk is the #2 face (or 3 if you include Mysterio) on his brand. The guy isn't some plucky midcarder, he's one of the most over faces on SmackDown and is presented as a major contender to the World Title.

The next CM Punk?
« Reply #47 on: May 24, 2009, 12:26:17 PM »

Cena, Orton, Big Show, HHH and Batista are on RAW

HBK and Undertaker are inactive

Edge and Jericho are heels so they don't enter into the equation.

CM Punk is the #2 face (or 3 if you include Mysterio) on his brand. The guy isn't some plucky midcarder, he's one of the most over faces on SmackDown and is presented as a major contender to the World Title.

Sure, Punk is the #2 or 3 face on Smackdown while Taker is gone. But as has been said, he's never MAIN EVENTed a Pay Per View. It's that simple. By the end of the year, I really hope that Punk is considered a main event guy. But until he headlines a PPV or two, he's not.

In my opinion, once you're a true main eventer, that's it. You don't lose that status. The fact that Punk could start tagging with Morrison or competing with, say, Mike Knox for the IC Title and not look completely out of place shows that he really hasn't reached that next level yet.

Offline Big Beard Booty Daddy

• My name's not fucking Warren
  • Canadian Destroyer213
The next CM Punk?
« Reply #48 on: May 24, 2009, 01:30:36 PM »
A while back I remember reading that they wanted to make Matt Hardy into the guy on the roster that could be an upper-midcarder that competes with the main eventers, but just can't beat them. It looks like CM Punk is that guy. Just because you win a title in WWE doesn't give you main event status. I look at his first run with the belt as more of the upper management wanted to see how he does with the title. He's young enough that he can still end up in the main event consistently, but right now he is upper-midcarder/jobber to the main eventers.
2012 TRTSM Fantasy Hockey Champion

• KOAB
The next CM Punk?
« Reply #49 on: May 24, 2009, 02:01:31 PM »
Eh, you need your Punks, Hardys, Christians... not everyone can be a main eventer. The only problem is when they ignore a ratings getter, super over guy, because they didn't make him or he wasn't one of the chosen ones (RVD or Jericho) or because OMG HE'S A HEEL, HE CAN'T BE CHEERED (Kane and Orton)... and then they do everything to destroy this great aura that they were building or the guy himself had built up and they can never recover and then they wonder why those guys end up being rating killers or add nothing to viewership.