Author Topic: Wrestling audio or podcasts  (Read 21903 times)

Description: What do you listen to?

Offline Cyrus The Virus

Re: Wrestling audio or podcasts
« Reply #200 on: November 26, 2015, 01:44:43 AM »
The "wrestling audience is stupid" has been a talking point of "internet wrestling journalists" for at least a decade.

Offline Jingus

« Reply #201 on: November 26, 2015, 01:51:56 AM »
Yeah, because "internet wrestling journalists" are all identical clones living in a Borg-like collective hivemind, with identical personalities and opinions and absolutely no dissension.  Those People are All Alike!!! 

Offline Cyrus The Virus

« Reply #202 on: November 26, 2015, 02:16:13 AM »
Not sure what that has to do with what I just posted but, umm, yeah sure.

In regards to thinking that wrestling fans are stupid and can only handle simple paint by the numbers wrestling angles then yeah-- Meltzer, Keller, Powell-- all pretty much in the same boat.

When the TNA title tournament started there were people up in arms with "there's goes TNA over complicating things again" when it was a world-cup style tournament that anyone could understand.

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #203 on: November 26, 2015, 02:55:33 AM »
I don't think it was the World Cup style tournament that people complained about, it was more jobbing your hottest act to a past his prime tag wrestler to strip the title and air matches that were filmed in months in advance, then reverse engineering a tournament for a world title out of pre-taped matches while also including scrubs and women.

Or in other words beep bloop NXT beep beep.
[img width=800

Fan: WHY CAN REY BEAT BIG GUYS BUT NOT KIDMAN
Kevin Nash: Kidman wears a wife beater

Offline KingPK

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
    • Spinning In The Tray
« Reply #204 on: March 12, 2016, 04:56:21 AM »
Jericho's podcast with high school rivals Xavier Woods and Cody Rhodes is the best thing ever.

Offline KingPK

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
    • Spinning In The Tray
« Reply #205 on: June 25, 2016, 08:51:53 AM »
Fascinating Talk is Jericho with Nancy Benoit's sister this week.  Super chilling how she talked about Benoit researching how to break a neck as his wife and son lay dead in the same house.

Offline Youth N Asia

• 2016 & 2017 Death Pool Reaper
  • STRONG STYLE!
« Reply #206 on: January 31, 2017, 03:35:42 AM »
Old bump. But Bruce Prichard and Conrad Thompson have been putting out the best wrestling podcast for a few months now. Basically they take one WWE/WWF topic that Bruce was there for and do 2-3 hours on it.

Dusty's WWF Run
Royal Rumble 97
The Steroid Trial

And so on. Very good listens.

And now Conrad is doing the same thing, but with Tony Schiavone and WCW topics. First episode just dropped. Goldberg in WCW. Listening to it later today.

Killing the Town with Storm and Cyrus has also been solid

Offline devo

« Reply #207 on: January 31, 2017, 10:19:57 AM »
Everybody should be listening to Tights and Fights, which is a fairly new podcast (only about six months old) and one of the funnier shows that I listen to (wrestling-related or not). It follows the basic recap/analysis format for the most part, but the playfulness with which they discuss the topic and the terrific rapport between the trio of hosts really sets it apart from the competition.

Offline KingPK

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
    • Spinning In The Tray
« Reply #208 on: January 31, 2017, 10:23:02 AM »
I listened to the first Killing the Town and it was OK, but I'm afraid that, given the participants, it's gonna get into "old men grumbling about the state of the buisness" territory real quick.

Offline devo

« Reply #209 on: January 31, 2017, 11:54:07 AM »
I listen to Killing the Town - there's some element of that, but it's not as bad as you might think. If anything, it's the retro ECW segments that I skip as they very much require knowledge of the shows in question and I've never been a fan of the promotion.

Offline Tino Standard

« Reply #210 on: January 31, 2017, 12:40:48 PM »
Checked out the Prichard one today for the first time. When they are on topic (in this case, the 94 Rumble), this is outstanding, but holy shit, the frequency with which they interrupt the discussion for live reads and ads is brutal. Really hurts the flow and the storytelling.

Offline Youth N Asia

• 2016 & 2017 Death Pool Reaper
  • STRONG STYLE!
« Reply #211 on: January 31, 2017, 01:30:41 PM »
Jericho has the worst live read breaks. You'll hear the audio quality change and Jericho will say something like "haha. That's great, X-PAC. I couldn't agree more. I want to know more about your nwo days, but first..." then truecar or something. He'll always start out with a fake laugh like he's continuing the story. Some bs. Then the read.

I get that podcasts need sponsors. And if they're all at the beginning or end everyone will skip them. It's free, so I don't bitch too much these days, but some transitions are just bad.

Offline KingPK

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
    • Spinning In The Tray
« Reply #212 on: February 01, 2017, 07:42:43 AM »
Everybody should be listening to Tights and Fights, which is a fairly new podcast (only about six months old) and one of the funnier shows that I listen to (wrestling-related or not). It follows the basic recap/analysis format for the most part, but the playfulness with which they discuss the topic and the terrific rapport between the trio of hosts really sets it apart from the competition.

I listened to their latest episode today and I highly recommend it.  It definitely has a lighter tone and yeah, it seems like the hosts are old friends just shooting the shit about wrestling and they just happen to be recording it.

Offline KingPK

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
    • Spinning In The Tray
« Reply #213 on: February 19, 2017, 12:19:06 PM »
Rusev and Lana on TIJ is awesome so far.  Rusev worked at Wendy's for a week!

Offline Tino Standard

« Reply #214 on: February 24, 2017, 10:11:10 AM »
I'm about 25 minutes into this week's Bruce Prichard pod. I'll spoiler tag this revelation for those planning to listen this weekend but wow:

Spoiler: show
With business lagging and the company in need of a jolt, Prichard and Pat Patterson pitched an idea to bring in Scott Steiner as a single to be a surprise entrant in the Rumble, win it and then win the title at WM9. Vince didn't see Scott as a single so he nixed it, and the Steiner brothers wanted to stay a team anyway, so that's what they did, and the Bret-Yoko match plotted out in December 1992 went on.

Offline The King of Trash

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • Your POV
« Reply #215 on: February 24, 2017, 11:09:00 AM »
I don't keep up with Pritch's podcast or many rasslin' ones, but who is the guest? Would like to know if it's worth listening to before spillering.

Offline Firmino of the 909

• Admin
« Reply #216 on: February 24, 2017, 11:11:34 AM »
Bill Watts tried to break the Steiners up too. They weren't having it.

koab [8:27 PM]
damn i thought you guys were good little cucks who would shit themselfs so a POC could peacefully protest

Offline Tino Standard

« Reply #217 on: February 24, 2017, 11:51:46 AM »
I don't keep up with Pritch's podcast or many rasslin' ones, but who is the guest? Would like to know if it's worth listening to before spillering.

The format is a guy named Conrad Thompson interviewing Bruce about a different WWE historical subject every week with no other guests. The live reads start to kill the flow of the conversation on some episodes, but otherwise it's a terrific format. Also of note: Conrad recently started one with Tony Schiavone doing the same thing with WCW history.

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • Your POV
« Reply #218 on: February 26, 2017, 01:33:46 PM »
Is that the same Conrad that helps Flair run his podcast?

Offline Tino Standard

« Reply #219 on: February 26, 2017, 03:09:37 PM »
Yup, same Conrad.

So, I just finished off this week's Prichard pod. Worth getting through the whole thing just for the part at the end with the payoff to the ongoing discussion about why Hogan got the belt at WM9. Long story short: Bruce tells some good stories, but you probably shouldn't take Brother Love's word as gospel on these shows, even if he hasn't been with WWE since 2008 and doesn't seem to be headed back any time soon.

Offline BorneAgain

• One Cocky Cracka
« Reply #220 on: February 26, 2017, 09:53:49 PM »
Tony's really fun on his show with Conrad. Comes across as likable, and unlike Bruce, isn't couching his language to make sure he doesn't piss off his old employers. I was greatly amused to learn he and Teddy Long were big In Living Color Fans and the latter constantly quoting "Homie Don't Play That" to Schiavone.

Offline Tino Standard

« Reply #221 on: February 27, 2017, 01:07:12 AM »
Haven't listened to Schiavone's show yet, but I look forward to checking it out. I'm surprised that with WWE's longstanding obsession with the Monday night wars they have never brought in Schiavone, if only for a one-off or maybe a HOF induction at some point. Has that been addressed on his pod?

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #222 on: February 27, 2017, 01:46:31 AM »
I honestly can't see them putting Tony in the Hall.

I wouldn't hate it if they did but can't see them doing it.  Especially when other more prevalent guys from that era that have been in the fold, on projects and on good terms, like Bischoff are still not in.
[img width=800

Offline KingPK

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
    • Spinning In The Tray
« Reply #223 on: March 20, 2017, 11:50:42 AM »
So I tried to get into The Lapsed Fan again with the first AWA episode.  One would think that these are 4-5 hours because they go incredibly in-depth into the subject like Dan Carlin, right? 

No, it's because every 20 minutes they launch into comedy that would make WWE writers blush and completely derail the show.  I made it 90 minutes in before deleting it.  It's great when they actually discuss the history and backgrounds of things, just stop trying to be Chris Rock because it sounds like Sandler.

Offline KingPK

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
    • Spinning In The Tray
« Reply #224 on: March 24, 2017, 09:51:09 AM »
Edge and Christian's podcast dropped today.  They start by playing voicemails they got from fans.  It's.....not the way I'd start a new podcast.

Offline Just Call Me Dan

« Reply #225 on: March 31, 2017, 04:47:37 AM »
I was digging it!

Offline Bladelock

• brock lock
« Reply #226 on: March 31, 2017, 04:54:03 AM »
I've been really loving the Tony Schiavone podcast lately. Didn't realize Tony was Cornette levels of crass, which is pretty funny, and he's very open and honest with what he remembers. His chemistry with Conrad is much easier to listen to then Conrad and Bruce Prichard arguing every episode.

I might go back to the Prichard podcast but it was getting tiring with Conrad trying to represent the smart wrestling fans and grilling the "evil WWE corporate puppet" every episode. They didn't have that gimmick in the first few episodes where it was really good.

Offline Avid Warehouse Enthusiast

• Laz
« Reply #227 on: March 31, 2017, 06:30:15 AM »
I gave Schiavone a try and loved when he was talking but Conrad, no matter his level of connection or how much he knows about wrestling, has one of the most insufferably annoying voices I've yet to hear.

I've been digging into Squared Circle Gazette a bit more, loving the Monday Night War timeline. Hearing some of the WON/F4W notes about the going's on backstage during this era, when I didn't have any internet access at all is interesting.

Offline KingPK

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
    • Spinning In The Tray
« Reply #228 on: April 18, 2017, 08:45:10 AM »
Edge & Christian's show has been pretty good so far.  I've skipped the voicemail stuff, but the interviews with Shane and Beth have been good (haven't listened to The Revival episode yet).

Offline Tino Standard

« Reply #229 on: April 25, 2017, 08:55:06 AM »
A little over a week ago, I had the opportunity to interview Kurt Angle about his recovery from addiction and the program he is involved with now to help others stay clean after getting out of treatment. My story went up today:

https://www.addictionpro.com/article/prescription-drug-abuse/olympian-turned-wwe-star-kurt-angle-relentless-recovery

I'm posting this in the wrestling podcasts thread because after we wrapped up the main part of our call, Angle let me hit him with some wrestling questions for the podcast I host in my spare time. We covered a lot of stuff in 25 minutes.

Stream: http://www.thenailpodcast.com/2017/04/episode-070-kurt-angle-on-his-return-to.html

iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-nail-in-the-coffin/id1052352853

Google Play: https://play.google.com/music/listen#/ps/I2hxgwm46b2nprgyfiko7hlomgi

Not gonna lie: It was a little surreal having Kurt Angle calling me at work, but he was really awesome to work with. Hope you guys enjoy the story and the pod.

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • Your POV
« Reply #230 on: April 25, 2017, 08:56:33 AM »
That's awesome! I'll listen to the podcast and read the article as well, I'm a big Angle fan.

• Laz
« Reply #231 on: April 26, 2017, 12:03:17 AM »
It's not wrestling-centric, but Ken Anderson (Anderson) has a podcast called Push The Button with comedian David Vox Mullen that's worth a listen. The entire focus is discussion on hot button issues and the kicker is that it's reasonable discourse, not just HOT TAKES.

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #232 on: June 10, 2017, 07:27:31 AM »
Jim Duggan and Sean Mooney started a podcast
[img width=800

Offline Just Call Me Dan

« Reply #233 on: June 10, 2017, 12:25:02 PM »
Late to the party but seconded on the Schiavone podcast. Highest recommendation. I'm actually going to the live show before GBOF in Dallas to meet him.

• Laz
« Reply #234 on: June 13, 2017, 06:31:04 AM »
Recently got into the Raven Effect (Raven) and Killing the Town (Lance Storm/Don Callis). The former is entertaining as hell if you're into Raven's sense of humor, and he's just wrapping up stories from his stint in Portland, the latter is a fairly typical breakdown of current wrestling that's elevated with Don's sardonic wit and their rundown of ECW shows.

Offline strummer

« Reply #235 on: June 13, 2017, 01:39:57 PM »
I've been listening to Raven as well. Say what you want but Scott Levy can make even the most mundane wrestling story sound interesting

Offline Gert

« Reply #236 on: May 21, 2018, 04:33:56 PM »
Anyone listened to 83 Weeks w/Eric Bischoff? I have liked the first two episodes, and the Bret Hart episode was good although, I kind of think Conrad described well fans v. people in the business thoughts about Bret Hart.

I'm about to listen to the BATB 2000 show. I think there is going to be a lot of BS going on here. I am dubious to see with what he can say as constructive criticism towards Hulk, especially with Hulk's creative control.

Offline Big Beard Booty Daddy

• My name's not fucking Warren
  • Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #237 on: May 23, 2018, 10:57:40 AM »
Anyone listened to 83 Weeks w/Eric Bischoff? I have liked the first two episodes, and the Bret Hart episode was good although, I kind of think Conrad described well fans v. people in the business thoughts about Bret Hart.

I'm about to listen to the BATB 2000 show. I think there is going to be a lot of BS going on here. I am dubious to see with what he can say as constructive criticism towards Hulk, especially with Hulk's creative control.

I've enjoyed it a lot. I don't know how much is true or not, but I do like that when he knows he fucked up, he'll admit it. Like announcing Mick Foley as champion being the big nail in WCW's coffin as far as ratings goes. Doesn't make an excuse, says he just fucked up and wouldn't do it again.
2012 TRTSM Fantasy Hockey Champion

Offline Thrasher

• Owner of Too Many Jerseys
  • All hail Gritty!
    • Sport Finds Blog - My blog where I post the licensed gear I bought
« Reply #238 on: May 23, 2018, 01:19:53 PM »

I'm halfway through the Hart episode. Bischoff shoots down most of what's in Bret's book. I agree that Hart didn't deserve a $3 million contract that was reported.
Sport Finds Blog - My blog where I post the licensed gear I bought

http://sportsfinds.blogspot.com

Offline Damaramu

« Reply #239 on: May 23, 2018, 01:26:59 PM »
Meltzer said that he was full of it on the Bret stuff and apparently you can easily find statements he made before that contradict a lot of what he said on the podcast.
I watched RAW. I thought it sucked. The usual problems and such.

Offline cobainwasmurdered

• Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #240 on: May 23, 2018, 01:34:04 PM »
Yeah Bischoff has directly contradicted most of it in the past multiple times. Based on what Bischoff had paid other guys who jumped Bret probably did deserve what he got or close to it. Hindsight is the main reason he doesn't seem to have deserved it.

Offline Thrasher

• All hail Gritty!
« Reply #241 on: May 27, 2018, 04:19:55 PM »
https://www.patreon.com/whwmonday/memberships

You know I think this site needs a Patreon. It's just so weird that people will pay huge monthly fee to someone who entertains them.

Offline KingPK

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
    • Spinning In The Tray
« Reply #242 on: May 29, 2018, 08:32:05 AM »
I tried listening to Schiavone's podcast, but he is bitter with a capital B and the comedy is cringeworthy.  I love their idea of commentating over full PPVs though.  Do any other podcasts do that who aren't hosted by jaded old fucks?

Maybe I'll give it another shot but it definitely didn't leave a good first impression.

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #243 on: May 29, 2018, 09:03:30 AM »
Prichard has done a couple watch alongs.  Those are the only shows I haven’t really done because I listen to hem while I drive my long commute.  I did their one on the first Survivor Series and I think they have done about three others.

I went from no podcasts at the end of last summer when I wanted to hear an Edge and Christian show interview that led me through E&C and all of Prichard, due to all the hype.  Kinda have cooled down on my interest in that one these days as they are becoming the same.

I’ve fallen behind because I’ve been away on vacation past few weeks but I had listened to the first couple Bischoff when they first aired, as I think Conrad works hard, which then led me to a couple Schiavone.  I never found him bitter in the ones I’ve listened to but again, I’ve picked around the watch along.  I think I did try some of the early ones and heard him getting really creepy about Debra, so that was cool.
[img width=800

Offline Thrasher

• All hail Gritty!
« Reply #244 on: May 29, 2018, 09:03:52 AM »
After listening to Bischoff's podcasts, I find Conrad insufferable on Tony's. Too many inside jokes are thrown out there so they can sell t shirts.

Offline Big Beard Booty Daddy

• My name's not fucking Warren
  • Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #245 on: May 29, 2018, 12:32:12 PM »
I tried listening to Schiavone's podcast, but he is bitter with a capital B and the comedy is cringeworthy.  I love their idea of commentating over full PPVs though.  Do any other podcasts do that who aren't hosted by jaded old fucks?

Maybe I'll give it another shot but it definitely didn't leave a good first impression.

Not really talking over a PPV, but a couple buddies of mine have a podcast where they take a really shitty PPV, talk about it, then rebook it. One of my friends is a booker for Fully Loaded Wrestling, and he's really good a rebooking those shit shows. They just did December to Dismember from WWECW and they rebooked it to something that could have actually worked.
2012 TRTSM Fantasy Hockey Champion

Offline JHawk

• Jim Cornette Guy
  • CXF Writer
  • Thank You, Fuck You, Bye!
    • Smart Mark Radio
« Reply #246 on: May 29, 2018, 12:52:08 PM »

I actually have one called Not Ready for Prime Time Wrestling where we do something similar.  We rarely do full PPVs (my co-host has attention issues) and there's too much dead air particularly when we watch something we like, but we are positive when warranted (and jaded when we're not).

I'm actually a big fan of Tony's podcast and wish I could have gotten mine launched before they switched to the watch along format.

Offline KingPK

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
    • Spinning In The Tray
« Reply #247 on: May 29, 2018, 12:58:06 PM »
I listened to more of the episode (it was the Slamboree '93 one) and it was better, but I much prefer them to talk more about the actual show than shilling stuff.  I know they have to and there's only so much you can talk about barnburners like the Slamboree '93 card, but it was getting a bit much at points (save that shit for the end of the show).  Plus, Tony has the crotchety old man "guys back then knew how to WORK, goddamnit!" attitude and that's a put off to me.

Offline JHawk

• Jim Cornette Guy
  • CXF Writer
  • Thank You, Fuck You, Bye!
    • Smart Mark Radio
« Reply #248 on: May 29, 2018, 01:03:40 PM »
My biggest issue with all of Conrad's podcasts is

Conrad:  "It was reported in the Observer..."

Bruce/Tony/Eric:  "Fuck Dave Meltzer!"

::bunch of fanboys hate tweet Meltzer because he was "wrong" about something that was proven right decades ago::

Offline Damaramu

« Reply #249 on: May 29, 2018, 02:27:41 PM »
And Meltzer can't help but respond so everyone ends up having to see that shit and be annoyed by it.
I watched RAW. I thought it sucked. The usual problems and such.