Author Topic: Wrestling audio or podcasts  (Read 24523 times)

Description: What do you listen to?

Offline New-New-New England Order

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
Re: Wrestling audio or podcasts
« Reply #100 on: March 22, 2014, 04:21:39 PM »
I unsubscribed to the Steve Austin Show.  There's too much ads and bullshit before the meat of the show and he doesn't seem to have the enthusiasm he had in the beginning.

Offline "Dot Com" Matt Postin (heel)

• Poster of the Year
« Reply #101 on: March 22, 2014, 05:30:23 PM »
Same reason I stopped watching tv and listening to the radio and driving on the interstates

Offline Boomer Kamala

• CXF Writer
« Reply #102 on: March 24, 2014, 03:23:32 PM »
Me and KOAB's favorite wrestler BUFF is on Colt Cabana's podcast this weekend. It's interesting to hear a guy everybody hates defending himself.

Buff is going on and on about how he's a legit badass.  ::)

Offline Youth N Asia

• 2016 & 2017 Death Pool Reaper
  • STRONG STYLE!
« Reply #103 on: March 24, 2014, 04:29:05 PM »
Yeah. Everyone at WCW was shocked that the pretty boy was SUCH A BADASS. He basically blew himself for an hour.

Offline Boomer Kamala

• CXF Writer
« Reply #104 on: March 24, 2014, 04:32:47 PM »
It was an hour of that and talk about overcoming addiction to Somas. Required listening for KOAB.

One of the weakest AOWs...but still I kind of liked it because I like all things terrible.

Offline HSJ

• misogynist at heart
« Reply #105 on: March 25, 2014, 02:57:20 AM »
Speaking of Colt, a good friend of mine just had Cabana on his podcast - Pop Cultivation. It's an interesting listen since Cabana says he hates doing other peoples podcasts and they don't really talk too much about wrestling, but about comedy and podcasting (with some wrestling thrown in). It's awkward at first since the host is a fan of Cabanas, but when they loosen up and get going, some real interesting tidbits come out.

It's a really good podcast and he gets some interesting guests (including myself - Mr. Episode 43).

http://www.stitcher.com/podcast/pop-cultivation-with-giancarlo-dittamo/episode/32984200?fb_action_ids=10202484245971002&fb_action_types=stitcherradio%3Alisten_to&fb_ref=fbfs&autoplay=true

DTF

Offline Brodypedia

• BruiserBrody
  • CXF Writer
« Reply #106 on: March 28, 2014, 06:30:58 PM »
Big Show on Austin's show revealed that Pat Patterson threw away his audition tape in 1995 because he thought the tape was of Kurgan and they already turned him down.

Patterson and Vince were watching HHavoc together when Vince found out and blew a gasket.

Offline Ed

• Ed
    • My Twitter Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 28, 2014, 07:58:01 PM »
Yet they still hired Kurgan anyway...

Offline The ghost of bps21

• Wade the Duck says: Your brush with Greatness is OVER!
« Reply #108 on: March 28, 2014, 08:02:43 PM »
"Patterson and Vince were watching HHavoc together"

Would pay anything for an MST3K style version of this.  Even without Vince losing it.  I want to hear them commentate the Giant coming back from the dead after a monster truck fight.  Mostly because I'm not sure he won't say "we should have thought of that".

Offline Ed

• Ed
    • My Twitter Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 28, 2014, 08:18:13 PM »
I want to hear Vince's take on The YETAY~!

Offline Fall of Epic

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #110 on: March 29, 2014, 04:09:52 AM »
Jericho's opening monologues are starting to become really annoying.

Offline Youth N Asia

• STRONG STYLE!
« Reply #111 on: March 29, 2014, 04:27:28 AM »
Jericho's opening monologues are starting to become really annoying.

I skip past until I start hearing the guest's voice. His banter is shit.

I'm also insanely tired of Austin's "swig of water/beer/diet Dr. Pepper/Camel Piss/Red Bull/coffee for the workin' man." You're taking a drink cause you're thirsty, no other reason. Hearing this a dozen times a show is getting old.

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
« Reply #112 on: April 04, 2014, 10:49:02 AM »
New OSW!

Offline Brodypedia

• BruiserBrody
  • CXF Writer

Offline Youth N Asia

• STRONG STYLE!
« Reply #114 on: April 24, 2014, 04:31:55 AM »
It sounds like everyone got a talking to about pimping the sponsors EVEN MORE. On the latest Jericho, Ross, and Austin podcasts they all went into a routine about how they all pick their own sponsors and how important it is for the listeners to check them out... to keep the show free. Goddamn, I hate PodcastOne. Every other podcast I listen to manages to be free with half as many ads.

Offline Fall of Epic

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #115 on: April 25, 2014, 04:11:03 AM »
I just started Santino on Talk in Jericho and he's in character. Help me.

Offline Avid Warehouse Enthusiast

• Laz
« Reply #116 on: April 25, 2014, 04:41:52 AM »
Court Bauer really needs to either turn the volume on his mic up or speak louder.

• Poster of the Year
« Reply #117 on: April 25, 2014, 10:11:07 AM »
He should just turn it off.

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
« Reply #118 on: April 25, 2014, 12:45:35 PM »
I just started Santino on Talk in Jericho and he's in character. Help me.

I was curious if he was going to kayfabe it.  That sounds like fucking awful audio.

Re: Ads.  I've started to just skip 15 minutes into the show to skip all their ads and dumb banter.

Offline chuck

« Reply #119 on: April 26, 2014, 12:00:23 AM »
They all seem to use the WTF formula of podcasting. Don't they know everyone skips ahead to Maron's interviews too?

I quit listening to Jericho because of his dumb banter and I don't like his interview style. I skip ahead to Cornette & JR's interviews and only listen to Colt's podcast when there is a guest I am interested in. It may be because I am an Austin mark but his podcast is the only one I can listen to from beginning to end.

Offline Youth N Asia

• STRONG STYLE!
« Reply #120 on: April 26, 2014, 02:20:47 AM »
They all seem to use the WTF formula of podcasting. Don't they know everyone skips ahead to Maron's interviews too?

I quit listening to Jericho because of his dumb banter and I don't like his interview style. I skip ahead to Cornette & JR's interviews and only listen to Colt's podcast when there is a guest I am interested in. It may be because I am an Austin mark but his podcast is the only one I can listen to from beginning to end.

I'm pretty much the exact same in all things said here. Austin's banter is at least entertaining.

I really don't like JR's show. When Foley was on he read a question from a fan. The question was pretty much asking if Mick would have been able to get over without hardcore wrestling. Then JR smugly interjects "As if they know what OVER means." I just thought to myself, wow, what an asshole.

He also will not make the slightest joke, without explaining it after.

He mentioned the Totally Divas show having legs and followed it up with "Legs... Divas... See what I did there."

He did a Terry Funk impression and after said "There's a little Terry Funk" as if it weren't very obvious

And Foley made a joke about how The Undertake shouldn't ever tweet. To which JR followed up with "OMG. HIAC 98" Which was alright by itself, but he couldn't help himself and said to say "Folks that means Oh my god, hell in a cell 1998"

He also kept talking over Mick and DDP during their interviews

I tried listening to Piper's podcast. But he's really awkward.

Offline oldskool

• DO IT with your female best friend ROCKAPELLA
  • CXF Writer
  • oldskool
« Reply #121 on: April 26, 2014, 04:38:07 AM »
I enjoyed the first couple of JR's shows because for whatever reason, he'd set up a commercial break and then it'd immediately go back to content without any commercials and I found that pretty funny. Since then I haven't listened to a single one.

Honestly every so often a show catches my attention but by & large the LAW stuff is all I listen to. I gave up on their review-an-impact, and I'm starting to pass on review-a-raw (why spend 1.5 hours listening to two exhausted guys recording a podcast at like midnight to talk about a show that probably sucked when I can read a recap in ~5 minutes) but they did a really good review of the WWE Scooby Doo movie on wednesday, King & the Fish usually has at least something interesting discussed (and Court, for all his faults, does a killer Dusty impression that cracks me up every time) and the Sunday LAW has Meltzer so at least 10-15 minutes of the show is really interesting, no matter how the rest of the show turns out.

Offline stevejrogers

« Reply #122 on: May 17, 2014, 04:50:19 AM »
Steve Corino follows his ROH commentary team partner Kevin Kelly with his own Place To Be Nation podcast:

http://placetobenation.com/stevecorino/

I know neither show is an official ROH show (and ROH is only a little part of each, though Kelly has ROH talent on as guests, and no doubt Corino will as well), but I'm a bit surprised that ROH hasn't put links for either show on their website.

Offline Fall of Epic

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #123 on: May 17, 2014, 04:51:52 AM »
Austin and Jericho have been shilling Jon Hamm's new flick "Million Dollar Arm" like crazy these last few weeks. Jericho is pretty funny when he does it because you can tell he could care less about the movie while he insists on taking his wife and kids to see it.

Offline alkeiper

• Welcoming our new insect overlords
« Reply #124 on: May 17, 2014, 10:11:32 AM »
It sounds like everyone got a talking to about pimping the sponsors EVEN MORE. On the latest Jericho, Ross, and Austin podcasts they all went into a routine about how they all pick their own sponsors and how important it is for the listeners to check them out... to keep the show free. Goddamn, I hate PodcastOne. Every other podcast I listen to manages to be free with half as many ads.

Which means Austin uses COUGAR LIFE for realz?

Austin's podcast I only enjoy when he has a guest on. His opening monologues for a couple weeks droned on for 10-15 minutes about LA traffic. Yeah, traffic sucks and everyone is a bad driver except you. I get it. I haven't tried Jericho or JR's podcasts. No real desire.

I appreciate Colt's podcasts even more now that I've listened to Austin's. His commercial break is short, his sponsors are people who listeners would have a genuine interest in. And his format is crisp. He keeps things moving and doesn't waste much time before getting to his interview. And often he'll have a guest I'm not familiar with, but it gets me interested by the end of the interview. It's the only podcast I won't skip an episode of.

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
« Reply #125 on: May 17, 2014, 10:25:09 AM »
Jericho tends to talk over his guests too much and unless he knows the guest he's not that great an interviewer, something Austin is really good at.

Offline Angle-plex

• Hey....it's sexy.....
« Reply #126 on: May 17, 2014, 11:32:26 AM »
Austin is awful when solo.

Offline Youth N Asia

• STRONG STYLE!
« Reply #127 on: May 17, 2014, 11:37:38 AM »
Austin had a good three parter with Bischoff recently.

Offline Fall of Epic

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #128 on: May 20, 2014, 05:24:30 AM »
Goldberg just tweeted that he's getting his own podcast on PodcastOne soon. Terry Crews will be his first guest.

PCO sure has a thing for wrestlers.

• Poster of the Year
« Reply #129 on: May 20, 2014, 09:00:41 AM »
One of these wrestlers should explain to them how bubbles burst

Offline Angle-plex

• Hey....it's sexy.....
« Reply #130 on: May 20, 2014, 09:10:12 AM »
At this rate, I will have a podcast on Podcast One before the end of September.

• Poster of the Year
« Reply #131 on: May 20, 2014, 09:21:25 AM »
If I had a podcast I wouldn't know whether to shit or wind my watch.

Offline Angle-plex

• Hey....it's sexy.....
« Reply #132 on: May 20, 2014, 09:36:19 AM »
Save time save money

Offline Youth N Asia

• STRONG STYLE!
« Reply #133 on: May 20, 2014, 02:57:14 PM »
Don't forget to push the sponsors, Bill.

Offline ravman77

• New Poster Who Should Be Posting
« Reply #134 on: May 20, 2014, 11:01:42 PM »
Swig of beer for the non-selling man

Offline Amy pats fan

• P dot Roy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • hashtag trashbag
« Reply #135 on: May 21, 2014, 02:50:08 AM »
man, give these guys a break with the sponsor shilling.  they're free damn podcasts.   FREE.  at least guys like Austin, Jericho, Rogan, Aukerman, Maron are entertaining when they shill these products/services and make me laugh during their pitches sometimes.  I can't afford the clothes at Bonobos, I don't want to join the Dollar Shave Club, I don't "hate going to the post office" and I don't need Barkbox for my dawg.....but who gives a fuck.  I don't.  FREE AUDIO.  NO OBLIGATION.  suck it up.

Offline Youth N Asia

• STRONG STYLE!
« Reply #136 on: May 21, 2014, 03:37:46 AM »
I understand the podcasts need sponsors. But the Podcast One shows throw so many sponsors at you that I can barely retain any of them. And it just brings the shows to a halt. Austin has gotten alright with transitioning his sponsors in, but Ross is awful at it. Nerdist starts the show with a single sponsor and that's it. Carolla and Mohr have a few, but they weave them into the show pretty well. And I've actually used theirs before. I at least retain them with fewer reads and a little flow behind them.

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
« Reply #137 on: May 21, 2014, 04:22:46 AM »
Jericho tried to make his ad break flow from his interview with Bryan with a fake "Ha ha, that's a good story!", but the audio quality changed so abruptly that you could tell it was recorded separately.

And they CONSTANTLY talk about how this costs money and the podcast is free so we need sponsors.  I KNOW.

Offline Amy pats fan

• P dot Roy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • hashtag trashbag
« Reply #138 on: May 21, 2014, 04:29:44 AM »

Offline UterusJuice

• Fartsauce
« Reply #139 on: May 23, 2014, 02:18:03 PM »
My favourite podcast episode ever is Domino talking about his Nigerian nightmare on AOW.

Offline Youth N Asia

• STRONG STYLE!
« Reply #140 on: May 23, 2014, 02:57:03 PM »
Austin has said that Vader is coming in for a two parter. Looking forward to that.

Offline Boomer Kamala

• CXF Writer
« Reply #141 on: May 06, 2015, 09:03:06 AM »
Lot of interesting stuff last few days for pro wrestling podcasts, especially if you're one of the few dozen remaining TNA fans like myself. Billy Corgan on Jericho's podcast, Dixie Carter on Austin's, Samoa Joe on JR's (Samoa Joe thinks Punk will come out of retirement for one more match with him. OK, Joe), and the debut episode of Flair's podcast with Kurt Angle.

Flair & Angle on the same podcast. Wonder who will outcrazy the other!

Offline Mr. S£im Citrus

• Representing Blacks Without Soul since 1975
« Reply #142 on: May 06, 2015, 09:17:15 AM »
Flair & Angle on the same podcast. Wonder who will outcrazy the other!

Offline Boomer Kamala

• CXF Writer
« Reply #143 on: May 08, 2015, 02:34:50 PM »
Chris Jericho has Dean Ambrose on to discuss the paranormal on the newest episode of Talk is Jericho.

Paging Brody...

Offline Brodypedia

• BruiserBrody
  • CXF Writer
« Reply #144 on: May 08, 2015, 10:11:34 PM »
Chris Jericho has Dean Ambrose on to discuss the paranormal on the newest episode of Talk is Jericho.

Paging Brody...

Had it downloaded already :)

Offline Youth N Asia

• STRONG STYLE!
« Reply #145 on: June 02, 2015, 03:25:01 PM »
Piper had Charles Wright (Godfather, Papa Shango) on this week. I'd realized that he's a guy I never hear from, so I listened and it was pretty good. Piper is an awkward podcast host, but he's growing on me.

Flair's in the game now with "WOOOO Nation"... and yeah, you hear the hell out of "WOOOOOO!"

Offline UncleJoeyMark

• Mr. Woodchuck
  • St. Gabe
« Reply #146 on: June 03, 2015, 12:20:40 AM »
These Guys: Seriously, it's like every one of us with our best friend from Middle and High school going back and reviewing old shows in depth. Vince impressions and all:

http://www.wrestlezone.com/tag/the-lapsed-fan

Super long poidcasts, usually take 2 days of commute to get through, but damn if they aren't good fun.

My favorites are the 92 rumble, the epic 7+ hour Wrestlemania X-7, and Survivor Series 91

Cut. It. Out.

Offline Ed

• Ed
    • My Twitter Profile
« Reply #147 on: June 03, 2015, 01:10:08 AM »
Still got lots of love for OSW Review. I'll get around to listening to the Attitude Era and New Generation podcasts eventually.

Offline Grit, Toughness, Soul, & Spirit

• brock lock
« Reply #148 on: June 18, 2015, 08:06:11 AM »
The Flair podcast is surprisingly good. I figured he'd just put himself over and/or ramble incoherently, but he's had some great and funny conversations with Bret, Steamboat, Foley, etc. His co-host is also a billion times better than the lady on Cornette's podcast and does a great job keeping Ric dialed in.

Offline Youth N Asia

• STRONG STYLE!
« Reply #149 on: June 18, 2015, 04:13:04 PM »
Yeah. I listened to the David Crockett episode on Flair's podcast today. His cohost does a very good job. Flair said he was a wrestling encyclopedia, and it sounds like it. Piper says the same thing about his cohost and that guy sucks.