Author Topic: Nintendo Chatter v2  (Read 41002 times)

Description:

Offline AnonymousBroccoli

Re: Nintendo Chatter v2
« Reply #150 on: November 25, 2013, 06:46:02 AM »
I finished World 6 in Super Mario 3D Land. I just noticed the Princess danger portrait thing will move if you rotate the 3DS, and the sound will kick up too.

You win this time, Nintendo.

Offline Venkman

• Dr Venkman PhD
  • You don't know me and you don't have to know me
« Reply #151 on: November 25, 2013, 08:19:43 AM »
Huh... I guess I had seen that channel before with the Ghostbusters / Mario parodies, but thanks for the reminder.

Offline Wrestlemania/Limp Bizkit WINNER

• Kreese
« Reply #152 on: November 26, 2013, 12:33:15 PM »

???

Offline New-New-New England Order

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
« Reply #153 on: December 02, 2013, 08:19:36 AM »
Got my XL.  Spent like a half hour messing around before even getting into a game.  The screens are fucking huge.  I'll post my friend code thing in the ID thread later.

Offline Venkman

• Dr Venkman PhD
« Reply #154 on: December 05, 2013, 02:52:18 AM »

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
« Reply #155 on: December 05, 2013, 12:16:06 PM »
I downloaded Super Mario Land 2 because I played the shit out of it on Game Boy and it still holds up pretty well.

Offline Nymyzys

• TRTSM's Color Commentator
« Reply #156 on: December 15, 2013, 02:37:51 AM »
Any word on when A Link to the Past will be released on the NA VC for WiiU?

Offline Smues

• Admin
  • Smuesicide
« Reply #157 on: December 18, 2013, 01:55:38 AM »
Lot of Nintendo news I don't have time to post, someone else do my work!

But:

MINE!
I want Jimmy Fallon to be dead. That doesn't make me a bad person.

Offline Smues

• Admin
  • Smuesicide
« Reply #158 on: December 18, 2013, 01:56:07 AM »
Also, Yoshi's Island level DLC for the Sonic WiiU game. Neat!

Offline Nymyzys

« Reply #159 on: December 18, 2013, 02:26:46 AM »
Hyrule Warriors!  Where do I send the check?!

Offline Damaramu

« Reply #160 on: December 19, 2013, 01:51:21 AM »
So some of these games look awesome to me, if they utilize standard controls. I'd get a Wii U if I didn't have to use the nunchuck for these. Or do you not anymore?
I watched RAW. I thought it sucked. The usual problems and such.

Offline Venkman

• Dr Venkman PhD
« Reply #161 on: December 19, 2013, 01:52:45 AM »
NES Remix looks like a Wario Ware game without the Wario Ware branding... and more mini than micro.

This is not a complaint - in fact, just the opposite.

Offline Spaceman Spiff 🚀

« Reply #162 on: December 19, 2013, 04:41:01 AM »
As far as I know, the gamepad is the main controller for every game, so you don't need to use Wiimote + Nunchuk if you don't want to (although you are given the option to do so).  Multi-player will require the Wiimote or classic controller, though.

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
« Reply #163 on: December 25, 2013, 07:57:00 AM »
Super Mario 3D Land is so goddamn good.  I also got Luigi's Mansion for XMas so that will get cracked open this week.

Offline Venkman

• Dr Venkman PhD
« Reply #164 on: January 06, 2014, 03:32:19 AM »
I just started playing it on the 31st with some friends and yeah, terrific. Much like SMB 2, I find I'm using Peach because the floating ability is so damn handy and I find myself at a bit of a loss / inconvenience when I can't use it. I use Mario and Luigi just because from time to time and Toad almost never.

Offline Thrasher

• Owner of Too Many Jerseys
  • All hail Gritty!
    • Sport Finds Blog - My blog where I post the licensed gear I bought
« Reply #165 on: January 10, 2014, 06:17:21 PM »
I impulsively splurged on LOZ edition of the 3DS. I don't like that I have to use the stick to move Link but I'll probably get used to it. This game really makes me nostalgic for Legend of Zelda ALTTP.
Sport Finds Blog - My blog where I post the licensed gear I bought

http://sportsfinds.blogspot.com

Offline no fact, no matter

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #166 on: January 13, 2014, 04:34:45 AM »
If you have a Wii U deluxe edition - log into Nintendo's Digital Deluxe Program and check your points. I had no idea this thing existed and apparently have $15 in eShop credit as a result. :)

https://p.nintendo.net/deluxe/
You should probably put your bandit hat on now.

Offline Nymyzys

« Reply #167 on: January 13, 2014, 09:37:12 AM »
I only have 24 points. Looks like I have a ways to go.

Offline Thrasher

• All hail Gritty!
« Reply #168 on: January 16, 2014, 09:07:57 AM »
I was at Best Buy today and they were selling DKC Returns for the Wii and DKC Returns 3D for the 3DS. Which one should I get? I was leaning towards the 3DS because I just got one but it's five dollars more than the Wii version.

Offline treble

• Truculence
  • Admin
« Reply #169 on: January 16, 2014, 09:41:19 AM »
The 3DS version doesn't have waggle controls, if that makes a difference to you.

I prefer the Wii version, but the 3DS version looks just as nice.

Offline Smues

• Admin
  • Smuesicide
« Reply #170 on: January 16, 2014, 11:41:01 AM »
The 3DS version doesn't have waggle controls, if you are Dama in disguise.

Offline treble

• Truculence
  • Admin
« Reply #171 on: January 16, 2014, 12:48:14 PM »
I really wish the Wii version supported the Classic controller, because there are some really dumb things they make you do with the Wiimote, but when I started playing the 3DS version I found myself shaking the system at times.

I should probably play it again before Tropical Freeze comes out.

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
« Reply #172 on: January 16, 2014, 05:35:31 PM »
http://www.engadget.com/2014/01/17/nintendo-sales-forecast-wii-u/

Oof.  And I doubt it'll get any better this year.

Offline AA484

• CXF Writer
« Reply #173 on: January 17, 2014, 02:25:50 AM »
First part of a super-good nine part(!) documentary on the underground tournament sub-culture of Smash Bros. Melee.  No, trust me, it's really good.  The other eight parts are linked to the first video.

Offline Venkman

• Dr Venkman PhD
« Reply #174 on: January 18, 2014, 04:38:37 AM »
The saga continues:

Offline Thrasher

• All hail Gritty!
« Reply #175 on: January 18, 2014, 03:42:56 PM »
I'm going to get the Wii version of DK because I heard the 3DS runs at 30 FPS and has lower quality models.

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #176 on: January 18, 2014, 04:41:28 PM »
http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702303465004579325760899958956

In a snap news conference called in Osaka, Nintendo President Satoru Iwata admitted he had misread the markets and hadn't issued "the appropriate instructions.'' He said the company needed to change and "propose something that surprises our customers."

"The way people use their time, their lifestyles, who they are—have changed," Mr. Iwata said. "If we stay in one place, we will become outdated."

---

Mr. Iwata noted that Nintendo's sales in Japan were better than they were in the U.S. and Europe, and said the company needed a better way of keeping in touch with trends abroad.

"In Japan, I can be my own antenna, but abroad, that doesn't work," he said.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/445870/nintendo-thinking-about-a-new-business-structure/

"We cannot continue a business without winning," Iwata said on Friday during a press conference attended by Bloomberg. "We must take a skeptical approach whether we can still simply make game players, offer them in the same way as in the past for 20,000 yen or 30,000 yen, and sell titles for a couple of thousand yen each.

"We are thinking about a new business structure," Iwata added. "Given the expansion of smart devices, we are naturally studying how smart devices can be used to grow the game-player business. It's not as simple as enabling Mario to move on a smartphone."

Investors and analysts have urged Nintendo to broaden its horizons and boost profits by embracing smartphones on multiple occasions over the past few years, but Iwata has always insisted that his responsibility is to plan for the long term, not simply to make a quick buck.

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
« Reply #177 on: January 18, 2014, 05:24:56 PM »
I hope this doesn't lead to them cannibalizing the 3DS (you know, the one thing they make that sells right now?) to jump into the mobile market.

Offline Nymyzys

« Reply #178 on: January 30, 2014, 05:35:06 AM »
Four Swords Adventure Anniversary Edition is free on the 3DS Eshop until Feb 2nd.

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #179 on: January 30, 2014, 05:48:03 AM »
Nintendo Confirms It Will Make Apps (And Maybe Games) For Phones: http://kotaku.com/how-nintendo-plans-on-tackling-its-toughest-year-1512339954

How Nintendo Plans on Tackling Its Toughest Year: http://kotaku.com/how-nintendo-plans-on-tackling-its-toughest-year-1512339954

Quote from: Iwata
...in the current environment surrounding smart devices, we feel that we will not be able to gain the support of many consumers unless we are able to provide something truly valuable that is unique to Nintendo. Accordingly, I have not given any restrictions to the development team, even not ruling out the possibility of making games or using our game characters. However, if you report that we will release Mario on smart devices, it would be a completely misleading statement.

We are now sure that we can solve the technical problem of displaying Virtual Console software from Nintendo DS on the GamePad.

The dual-screen Nintendo DS, one of which is a touch screen, has a very strong software lineup, and so we plan to add the Virtual Console titles from Nintendo DS software to the future Virtual Console lineup for Wii U.

Unfortunately, however, after starting up Wii U, there is a wait of over 20 seconds before we can select a video game title, and hence it is not an ideal situation for users now.

To solve this problem, a quick start menu for the GamePad will become a reality after a future system update planned for early summer.

This new function is currently under development, and although we cannot show a demo with a real machine, we have made a video to show you what the function can do, so please take a look.

we have not been able to offer a decisive software title that enriches the user's gameplay experience when playing alone with the GamePad. This will be one of the top priorities of Mr. Miyamoto's software development department this year.

we will actively expand our character licensing business, including proactively finding appropriate partners.

if we can offer flexible price points to consumers who meet certain conditions, we can create a situation where these consumers can enjoy our software at cheaper price points when they purchase more.
---
We aim to establish a new sales mechanism that will be beneficial to both consumers and software creators by encouraging our consumers to play more titles and increasing a platform's active use ratio without largely increasing our consumers' expenditures.

Our future platform will connect with our consumers based on accounts, not devices.

Of course, when we do launch new hardware in the future, rather than re-creating an installed base from scratch as we did in the past, we wish to build on our existing connections with our consumers through NNIDs and continue to maintain them.

Offline Thrasher

• All hail Gritty!
« Reply #180 on: January 30, 2014, 08:29:41 AM »

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #181 on: January 31, 2014, 09:10:12 AM »
http://www.joystiq.com/2014/01/31/iwata-nintendo-considering-mergers-and-acquisitions-as-an-optio/

Nintendo President Satoru Iwata said mergers and acquisitions are an option for turning the company's fortunes around in a Nikkei interview. Iwata said the company "should abandon old assumptions about our businesses. We are considering M&As as an option. For this reason, we'll step up share buybacks."

This echos Iwata's statements during a press conference earlier this month in which he said Nintendo is "thinking about a new business structure" and is specifically "studying how smart devices can be used to grow the game-player business." It also follows news of the company having to drastically cut its forecasts for the fiscal year, taking its expected Wii U shipments down from 9 million to 2.8 million.

Additionally, Iwata commented on the option of Nintendo delisting itself from the stock market, saying that "quarterly earnings reporting is not a good fit for Nintendo." He said that even when Nintendo thinks a goal is reachable, it doesn't for sure know whether a product will be a hit. "But it is thanks to the stock market that Nintendo has grown to what it is today. I don't want to turn to a management buyout just because we are inconvenienced now," he added.

Offline Spaceman Spiff 🚀

« Reply #182 on: February 02, 2014, 01:29:39 PM »
Super Mario 3D World level Flower-12 can eat a dick.  I'm glad I have 500+ extra lives.

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #183 on: February 03, 2014, 02:20:53 AM »
Nintendo confirms "integrated" next gen console/handheld tech @ Investor Q&A: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/140130qa/02.html

Quote from: Investor
You have explained your concern about users being divided by hardware. Currently, you have both a handheld device business and a home console business. I would like to know whether the organizational changes that took place last year are going to lead to, for example, the integration of handheld devices and home consoles into one system over the medium term, or a focus on cost saving and the improvement of resource efficiency in the medium run. Please also explain if you still have room to reduce research and development expenses.

Quote from: Iwata
Last year Nintendo reorganized its R&D divisions and integrated the handheld device and home console development teams into one division under Mr. Takeda. Previously, our handheld video game devices and home video game consoles had to be developed separately as the technological requirements of each system, whether it was battery-powered or connected to a power supply, differed greatly, leading to completely different architectures and, hence, divergent methods of software development. However, because of vast technological advances, it became possible to achieve a fair degree of architectural integration. We discussed this point, and we ultimately concluded that it was the right time to integrate the two teams.

For example, currently it requires a huge amount of effort to port Wii software to Nintendo 3DS because not only their resolutions but also the methods of software development are entirely different. The same thing happens when we try to port Nintendo 3DS software to Wii U. If the transition of software from platform to platform can be made simpler, this will help solve the problem of game shortages in the launch periods of new platforms. Also, as technological advances took place at such a dramatic rate, and we were forced to choose the best technologies for video games under cost restrictions, each time we developed a new platform, we always ended up developing a system that was completely different from its predecessor. The only exception was when we went from Nintendo GameCube to Wii. Though the controller changed completely, the actual computer and graphics chips were developed very smoothly as they were very similar to those of Nintendo GameCube, but all the other systems required ground-up effort. However, I think that we no longer need this kind of effort under the current circumstances. In this perspective, while we are only going to be able to start this with the next system, it will become important for us to accurately take advantage of what we have done with the Wii U architecture. It of course does not mean that we are going to use exactly the same architecture as Wii U, but we are going to create a system that can absorb the Wii U architecture adequately. When this happens, home consoles and handheld devices will no longer be completely different, and they will become like brothers in a family of systems.

Still, I am not sure if the form factor (the size and configuration of the hardware) will be integrated. In contrast, the number of form factors might increase. Currently, we can only provide two form factors because if we had three or four different architectures, we would face serious shortages of software on every platform. To cite a specific case, Apple is able to release smart devices with various form factors one after another because there is one way of programming adopted by all platforms. Apple has a common platform called iOS. Another example is Android. Though there are various models, Android does not face software shortages because there is one common way of programming on the Android platform that works with various models. The point is, Nintendo platforms should be like those two examples. Whether we will ultimately need just one device will be determined by what consumers demand in the future, and that is not something we know at the moment. However, we are hoping to change and correct the situation in which we develop games for different platforms individually and sometimes disappoint consumers with game shortages as we attempt to move from one platform to another, and we believe that we will be able to deliver tangible results in the future.

Offline Spaceman Spiff 🚀

« Reply #184 on: February 13, 2014, 11:16:56 AM »
Wii U news from today's Nintendo Direct:

• Mario Kart 8 out May 30Koopa Kids Koopalings are playable characters.
  • GBA games to be available on the Wii U virtual console this spring.
  • NES Remix 2 to be released April 25.  The entire original Super Mario Bros. will be included, only you play as Luigi.  Oh, and you play right to left.

• Nintendo game to let you haggle over price:
    See, you download the main game for free. The minigames you play within, though, you have to buy. Nintendo gave an example price of $4.00 for one of these titles, but that price isn't locked down.P

Instead, you can negotiate the price, by offering an in-game character certain items. If you offer something they like, then the actual price, in real human money, comes down.
    Knock it out of the park in a series of baseball-themed minigames that will have you swinging at disappearing fastballs, bringing down UFOs with the help of some rubber tires, or even becoming an umpire and ringing up batters. But before you play ball, you'll have to haggle with that miserable mutt, ex-pro baseball player Rusty Slugger, to lower the actual Nintendo eShop* purchase price of each minigame! Don't worry, you can use weird in-game items like donuts and nose hair trimmers (that's not a typo) to help you get the lowest price possible.
  • Little Mac going to be in Smash Brothers.

Offline Flik

• DorianS
  • CXF Writer
  • @DSookochoff
« Reply #185 on: February 26, 2014, 06:40:37 AM »
If you haven't picked it up yet, Bravely Default for the 3DS is an awesome fantasy game. Just got gifted it and the game is so much fun. Graphically very much like Final Fantasy Tactics and the sense of style from place to place is always nice (except some dungeons, they are kind of drab).

Combat is just fun~! I think I've spent more time on combat than I have actually playing the game for story. Battles are turn based, but you can do wonderful things with storing turns for later use, or using turns ahead of time. Adds a wonderful amount of strategy to the game, because not only can you do this, but so can your opponents. You can also adjust the amount of random battles and difficulty on the fly. And by amount of random battles, you can turn it entirely off if you feel you are sufficiently prepared for what lies next.

The side-quests may be called this, but they actually add a lot of depth to the overall story and also grant you new classes to equip. With each new class, you get access to special skills that you can slot. You'll get up to 5 skills, but start off with 1. You'll also have a side-quest to build a town (does not grant you class as far as I can tell), but its time slotted unless you get a lot of civilians into it. Though, you can pick up some good gear and stuff from it if you build it up.

The story is pretty standard fantasy fair as you are off to save the world, but the characters, the interactions, the way it is told, is just a blast. It also doesn't let off the gas and keeps things progressing. There's very rarely a part that doesn't provide movement to the story, cause character's to interact in great ways (skits~!), or just be downright hilarious (Ringabell's dandiness, Agnes' sheltered life, Tiz's naivety and Edea's putdowns of Ringabell). There are also parts that are voice acted, but even

And the music is just wild in that it is all over the place and weirdly all works together. Rock, ballads of sorrow, mysticism, Edea's Theme (so upbeat and chipper) and more. Its like a blend of everything good about fantasy games of the last while. My favorite pieces out of this are Bell of Battle (Agnes' Theme) and You're Name Is... (Boss Battle Theme), but since there's something there for everyone, I wouldn't be surprised if someone else had different ones. I don't think there's a terrible track in the game. Or at least so far. After all, I'm only in Chapter 2 right now.

Bravely Default holds all the nostalgia of older fantasy games and gives them a fresh coat of paint. Its just so wonderful. Can't wait for its sequel, Bravely Second.

Offline Spaceman Spiff 🚀

« Reply #186 on: April 10, 2014, 05:40:27 AM »

Offline Venkman

• Dr Venkman PhD
« Reply #187 on: April 18, 2014, 03:04:52 AM »

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
« Reply #188 on: April 18, 2014, 01:43:00 PM »
Super Mario Bros 3 is FINALLY on VC.

I still can't wrap my head around them putting GBA games on Wii U and NOT 3DS.  How fucking hard is it to do both?

Offline Nymyzys

« Reply #189 on: April 18, 2014, 10:15:05 PM »
Same here. I'd love to have Metroid Fusion on my 3DS.

Offline treble

• Truculence
  • Admin
« Reply #190 on: April 18, 2014, 11:39:13 PM »
Didn't they say they weren't going to release anymore after the ones they gave away in the 3DS Ambassador thing? I don't anyone would really care, but maybe they're sticking to that.

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #191 on: April 19, 2014, 02:36:30 AM »
Nintendo has the most nonsensical "policy" on this VC stuff.

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
« Reply #192 on: April 24, 2014, 03:30:58 PM »
I played the demo for Mario Golf World Tour.  I liked it quite a bit.  It's in the Hot Shots Golf vein and I've been jonesing for a golf game for a while.

Has anyone tried that 3DS baseball game where you haggle the shop owner to lower the prices on the other mini games?  What a weird goddamn game that is.

Offline Spaceman Spiff 🚀

« Reply #193 on: April 25, 2014, 11:53:07 AM »
NES Remix 2 is out.

Offline Spaceman Spiff 🚀

« Reply #194 on: April 30, 2014, 02:00:39 AM »
http://kotaku.com/watch-nintendos-new-mario-kart-8-direct-here-1569750783/all

Nintendo is also running another promotion until July 31 where, by registering your freshly bought copy of Mario Kart 8 with Club Nintendo, you can grab one of four Wii U games for free: Wii Party U, Pikmin 3, The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD, or New Super Mario Bros U.

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
« Reply #195 on: May 02, 2014, 11:48:29 AM »
Mario Golf is really fun. It's basically Hot Shots Golf with a Mario skin.  The online tournaments are a really good idea and there seems to be a ton of stuff to unlock.

« Reply #196 on: May 29, 2014, 07:59:06 AM »
/photo/1

« Reply #197 on: May 29, 2014, 08:35:39 AM »
Skip to about 2:19.

Offline Spaceman Spiff 🚀

« Reply #198 on: June 02, 2014, 02:23:13 PM »
There's a Wii U update out there.  Quick Start menu gets implemented, notifications light up the Home Button on the gamepad (as well as making a "ringtone"), log-in screen looks a little different.

Offline fazzle

« Reply #199 on: June 03, 2014, 06:48:00 AM »
It was literally just yesterday that I discovered Tomodachi Life was a full retail release.  For some reason I was thinking it was an eshop game.  I was definite day 1 purchase on that when I thought it was eshop, but...full price?  Now I'm not so sure.