Author Topic: The Metal Thread - Version 2  (Read 26388 times)

Description:

Offline Epic Reine

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
Re: The Metal Thread - Version 2
« Reply #50 on: April 19, 2013, 07:56:12 AM »
So my friend introduced me to Black Breath. Not bad.

http://i.qkme.me/3pp0k9.jpg

Offline GAYGENT OF OBLIVION

• Go Gators
  • Faded as fuck
« Reply #51 on: April 22, 2013, 07:10:35 AM »
Black Breath is fucking badass. One of the best newer bands in years. "Razor to Oblivion" will kick your fucking teeth in. Four track EP, in its entirety here:

Offline Avid Warehouse Enthusiast

• Laz
« Reply #52 on: April 22, 2013, 10:29:33 AM »
I'm digging it, especially the crust influence. Very Swedish guitar tone, too. I'm digging how the thrash revival has basically led to a classic death revival.
Maybe the real deep state was the friends we made along the way.

• Laz
« Reply #53 on: April 23, 2013, 02:02:11 PM »

I love this band.

Offline Epic Reine

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #54 on: April 24, 2013, 05:37:16 AM »
I like Black Breath because most new metal bands I've listened to always seem to have a melodic influence so its nice to have a band that's just straight up heavy and brutal.

Offline Nymyzys

• TRTSM's Color Commentator
« Reply #55 on: April 24, 2013, 09:41:29 AM »

• Laz
« Reply #56 on: April 24, 2013, 10:33:29 AM »
I like Black Breath because most new metal bands I've listened to always seem to have a melodic influence so its nice to have a band that's just straight up heavy and brutal.
I'm with you on this. It's either you find a band that's straight-up brutal (like Abnormality) or they incorporate too much melody. Some bands walk that line and make it work (Arkaik and, IMO, the Black Dahlia Murder spring to mind immediately), but other bands just seem to throw melody in for no reason (or random breakdowns...which is why I fucking hate deathcore).

Also...

Offline Gary

• Corrosive Hallucinations
  • CXF Writer
« Reply #57 on: April 24, 2013, 01:54:33 PM »
The new Amorphis album is kind of a letdown. They're just repeating themselves now.

The new Rotting Christ album is pretty good though

"The Godfather: Part Iraq" (2004) In this 4th installment of the Godfather series, the godfathers head to iraq to settle the score, of 9/11.

Offline Detective Ventriloquist

• My name's not fucking Warren
  • Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #58 on: April 24, 2013, 07:53:11 PM »
Has anyone picked up the new Ghost album? I was able to download it a couple weeks back and I'm really digging it. It's really solid.
2012 TRTSM Fantasy Hockey Champion

Offline Nymyzys

« Reply #59 on: April 24, 2013, 08:31:11 PM »
I'll still give Amorphis a shot. I've always enjoyed their stuff.

Offline BPSS

• BurningPirateShipSex
« Reply #60 on: May 07, 2013, 03:31:55 PM »
So the singer from As I Lay Dying allegedly tried to hire an undercover cop to murder his wife:

As I Lay Dying singer Tim Lambesis was arrested Tuesday (May 7) after allegedly soliciting an undercover police officer to have his estranged wife killed.

According to Reuters, the San Diego County Sheriff's Department learned that Lambesis sought an accomplice to kill his wife, and he was taken into custody in Oceanside, California, after reaching out to the detective.

"The information came to us late last week," San Diego County Sheriff's Department spokeswoman Jan Caldwell told Reuters. "We acted quickly on it. I believe that we averted a great tragedy."

Lambesis has said he considers himself to be a Christian and acknowledges that he finds inspiration for lyrical content from biblical texts. He is incredibly prolific, having released eight albums with As I Lay Dying between 2001 and 2012, as well as five releases via his solo side project Austrian Death Machine, where he sings and performs on all instruments. He also produced 11 albums for other artists and is part owner of Lambesis Studios.

Representatives from Metal Blade, the record label for As I Lay Dying, were not available for comment. There is no word on whether Lambesis already has an attorney.

In 2008, As I Lay Dying were nominated for the Best Metal Performance Grammy for their song "Nothing Left." As I Lay Dying's 2012 album Awakened peaked at #11 on the Billboard albums chart, while 2010's The Powerless Rise hit #10, and 2007's An Ocean Between Us debuted at #8.

Back in '07, Lambesis talked to MTV News about Ocean and how, lyrically, it deals with the idea that "we no longer have the same dreams as the rest of the world, that all of the qualities of life that it seems we're taught we should focus on, whether it be money or a certain type of education or a certain type of job — the dreams that are handed down to us — it's about how we have nothing in common with those dreams anymore. It's about the whole idea of fulfillment — if you do these things and take these steps, you will be happy — and how really, wealth, the prestige of being in a band, all that stuff is ultimately meaningless."

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1706977/as-i-lay-dying-tim-lambesis-murder-plot-arrest.jhtml

Offline Nymyzys

« Reply #61 on: May 08, 2013, 02:59:44 AM »
Didn't know he worked on the Austrian Death Machine too. That was a fun gimmick project. Such a prolific career flushed.

Offline Epic Reine

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #62 on: May 08, 2013, 03:01:19 AM »
Pfft, this guy isn't metal until he murders his bandmate and makes a necklace out of his skull.

Offline Gary

• CXF Writer
« Reply #63 on: May 08, 2013, 03:04:57 AM »
I bet he wishes they had a different band name now.

"The Godfather: Part Iraq" (2004) In this 4th installment of the Godfather series, the godfathers head to iraq to settle the score, of 9/11.

Offline 2GOLD

« Reply #64 on: May 08, 2013, 03:07:42 AM »
Pfft, this guy isn't metal until he murders his bandmate and makes a necklace out of his skull.

He wasn't even going to kill her himself. Fucking pop music pussy.

Offline Epic Reine

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #65 on: May 08, 2013, 05:54:05 AM »

Offline Gary

• CXF Writer
« Reply #66 on: May 08, 2013, 06:49:57 AM »

I can see that

• Laz
« Reply #67 on: May 08, 2013, 09:34:55 AM »
Good riddance to that fuck from As I Lay Dying. The death of fashioncore is being sped up.

Offline Gary

• CXF Writer
« Reply #68 on: May 10, 2013, 05:56:14 AM »

lol

Offline NoCalMike

• Welcome to Prime Time, bitch!
    • EVIL EPISODES PODCAST!
« Reply #69 on: May 10, 2013, 07:58:49 AM »
Get your TV Horror Fix w/the Podcast EVIL EPISODES! Listen at:
http://www.legionpodcasts.com/
http://www.horrorphilia.com

Offline Nymyzys

« Reply #70 on: May 10, 2013, 09:13:01 AM »

lol

Wow.  *Incoherent death grunt*......*collapse*

• Go Gators
  • Faded as fuck
« Reply #71 on: May 11, 2013, 04:17:55 AM »
Having been shocked about that bad rather recently, it fucking SUCKS. Still, LOL.

In other news: WHOA, this-

• Laz
« Reply #72 on: May 12, 2013, 10:16:52 AM »
The new Defeated Sanity is awesome.

• Laz
« Reply #73 on: May 12, 2013, 10:19:09 AM »
These guys are pretty nasty, too.

Offline Gary

• CXF Writer
« Reply #74 on: May 22, 2013, 03:41:12 AM »
You know what was a great band with only album? Lykathea Aflame

Offline Epic Reine

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #75 on: May 29, 2013, 03:02:05 AM »
So the singer from As I Lay Dying allegedly tried to hire an undercover cop to murder his wife:

As I Lay Dying singer Tim Lambesis was arrested Tuesday (May 7) after allegedly soliciting an undercover police officer to have his estranged wife killed.

According to Reuters, the San Diego County Sheriff's Department learned that Lambesis sought an accomplice to kill his wife, and he was taken into custody in Oceanside, California, after reaching out to the detective.

"The information came to us late last week," San Diego County Sheriff's Department spokeswoman Jan Caldwell told Reuters. "We acted quickly on it. I believe that we averted a great tragedy."

Lambesis has said he considers himself to be a Christian and acknowledges that he finds inspiration for lyrical content from biblical texts. He is incredibly prolific, having released eight albums with As I Lay Dying between 2001 and 2012, as well as five releases via his solo side project Austrian Death Machine, where he sings and performs on all instruments. He also produced 11 albums for other artists and is part owner of Lambesis Studios.

Representatives from Metal Blade, the record label for As I Lay Dying, were not available for comment. There is no word on whether Lambesis already has an attorney.

In 2008, As I Lay Dying were nominated for the Best Metal Performance Grammy for their song "Nothing Left." As I Lay Dying's 2012 album Awakened peaked at #11 on the Billboard albums chart, while 2010's The Powerless Rise hit #10, and 2007's An Ocean Between Us debuted at #8.

Back in '07, Lambesis talked to MTV News about Ocean and how, lyrically, it deals with the idea that "we no longer have the same dreams as the rest of the world, that all of the qualities of life that it seems we're taught we should focus on, whether it be money or a certain type of education or a certain type of job — the dreams that are handed down to us — it's about how we have nothing in common with those dreams anymore. It's about the whole idea of fulfillment — if you do these things and take these steps, you will be happy — and how really, wealth, the prestige of being in a band, all that stuff is ultimately meaningless."

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1706977/as-i-lay-dying-tim-lambesis-murder-plot-arrest.jhtml

http://lambgoat.com/news/20444/Tim-Lambesis-bail-lowered;-steroids-blamed

"Roid Rage" is being blamed for the whole incident.

• Laz
« Reply #76 on: June 02, 2013, 03:51:35 PM »
...roid rage...which has no bearing on a long-term and thought-out event such as hiring a hitman...

...fuck this guy. Seriously.

In other news, Paul Bostaph is (back) in Slayer.

Offline Dramatic Pizza

• brock lock
« Reply #77 on: June 04, 2013, 07:48:04 AM »
The new Ghost album dropped a month and a half ago and I'm listening to it now. It's catchy as fuck and really great. Not all that heavy, but very strange in a the best way possible.

Offline Epic Reine

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #78 on: June 04, 2013, 07:53:23 AM »

• Laz
« Reply #79 on: June 04, 2013, 08:52:26 AM »
For the record, those are considered the "Big 4" of thrash metal, not heavy metal as a whole.

Overall, a nice little bio piece about each band, but I'd most definitely expand the essentials for Metallica to include a good chunk of Kill 'Em All, for Megadeth to include Peace Sells...But Who's Buying? (at least for the opener and title track), and Slayer probably should have seen some of Show No Mercy ("Die by the Sword" immediately comes to mind), Haunting the Chapel ("Chemical Warfare" is one of their best pre-Reign songs, easily) and Hell Awaits (if only for the title track) on the essentials. Maybe some brief nod to how they've commonly been seen as a neo-Nazi/white power band due to the lyrical content for "Angel of Death" and their choice of a very wehrmacht-y eagle for a logo (despite half the band at the time being non-white).

I'd rank them Slayer, Metallica, Anthrax, and Megadeth, too. I find Megadeth grating for the same reasons (Mustaine's voice fits some of their stuff, but not the majority of it), not to mention that the entire purpose of the band was just to try to out-do the guys who kicked him out of his last outfit.

EDIT:
Actually, that brings up an interesting question. Who are the "Big 4" of METAL in general? Is it Sabbath, Priest, Maiden, and Metallica? Has any other band really reached the same peaks as those four?

• Laz
« Reply #80 on: June 04, 2013, 08:57:57 AM »
Different thought, so new post.

I've come to the conclusion that the Black Dahlia Murder are the pound-for-pound best band of their generation. Miasma was lame, overall, and their blend of death metal with hardcore directly lead to crap like Suicide Silence and Whitechapel, but I can't think of any other band from that generation still releasing material I can really dig into.

I think this may be one of my favorite tunes period, and easily my favorite from TBDM:

Offline Detective Ventriloquist

• My name's not fucking Warren
  • Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #81 on: June 04, 2013, 12:16:28 PM »
The new Ghost album dropped a month and a half ago and I'm listening to it now. It's catchy as fuck and really great. Not all that heavy, but very strange in a the best way possible.

I love this album. I've listened to it about 9 to 10 times already, which is by far the most for any new album this year.
2012 TRTSM Fantasy Hockey Champion

Offline Epic Reine

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #82 on: June 05, 2013, 04:05:56 AM »
Overall, a nice little bio piece about each band, but I'd most definitely expand the essentials for Metallica to include a good chunk of Kill 'Em All, for Megadeth to include Peace Sells...But Who's Buying? (at least for the opener and title track), and Slayer probably should have seen some of Show No Mercy ("Die by the Sword" immediately comes to mind), Haunting the Chapel ("Chemical Warfare" is one of their best pre-Reign songs, easily) and Hell Awaits (if only for the title track) on the essentials. Maybe some brief nod to how they've commonly been seen as a neo-Nazi/white power band due to the lyrical content for "Angel of Death" and their choice of a very wehrmacht-y eagle for a logo (despite half the band at the time being non-white).

I'm sure we can all reccommend good tracks on ever single album. Even the bad ones. (there are like 2 songs I even admit to enjoying on "Risk") but I didn't wanna overwhelm the reader. Whenever I ask someone for a music reccomendation, I always ask them to name an album or two.

Also, this just in: Municipal Waste, Anthrax, and Matt Barlow's (ex-Iced Earth singer) new band on one bill in NYC?

• Go Gators
  • Faded as fuck
« Reply #83 on: June 05, 2013, 04:50:40 AM »
Re: Laz's "Big 4" question: Sabbath, Slayer, Maiden, and Death.

Offline NoCalMike

• Welcome to Prime Time, bitch!
    • EVIL EPISODES PODCAST!
« Reply #84 on: June 05, 2013, 08:34:56 AM »
That lead singer of Abnormality is one of the better female death metal vocalists to come along in awhile. Damn.
Get your TV Horror Fix w/the Podcast EVIL EPISODES! Listen at:
http://www.legionpodcasts.com/
http://www.horrorphilia.com

• Laz
« Reply #85 on: June 05, 2013, 09:15:33 AM »
^I've been saying that for a while. Between her and Som Pluijmers (ex-Cerebral Bore), I'm ecstatic that there's finally some female metal vocalists who don't just do the stupid Kittie/Otep grunts or try to be Cristina Scabbia.
Also, this just in: Municipal Waste, Anthrax, and Matt Barlow's (ex-Iced Earth singer) new band on one bill in NYC?

...tell me when and I just may take a nice road trip. Fuck Barlow's new band, the experience of seeing Municipal Waste and Anthrax on one bill is killer.

• Laz
« Reply #86 on: June 16, 2013, 09:16:31 AM »
DYING FETUS, EXHUMED, DEVOURMENT, ABIOTIC, AND RIVERS OF NIHIL. ALL IN ONE NIGHT. ON HALLOWEEN. AT MY FAVORITE VENUE (WORCESTER PALLADIUM).

I'm cumming blood just thinking about it.

Here's Abiotic...

...and here's Rivers of Nihil.

Offline Epic Reine

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #87 on: June 20, 2013, 01:13:09 AM »
^I've been saying that for a while. Between her and Som Pluijmers (ex-Cerebral Bore), I'm ecstatic that there's finally some female metal vocalists who don't just do the stupid Kittie/Otep grunts or try to be Cristina Scabbia.

...tell me when and I just may take a nice road trip. Fuck Barlow's new band, the experience of seeing Municipal Waste and Anthrax on one bill is killer.

My friend mixed up the dates for the pre-sale and we wound up missing our chance :( I'm gonna see if they're doing another date in the Northeast.

Offline Gary

• CXF Writer
« Reply #88 on: June 20, 2013, 04:42:16 AM »
NEW GORGUTS

Offline Dramatic Pizza

• brock lock
« Reply #89 on: June 20, 2013, 08:20:07 AM »

• Laz

• Go Gators
  • Faded as fuck
« Reply #91 on: June 20, 2013, 04:31:19 PM »

YES

Offline Nymyzys

« Reply #92 on: June 26, 2013, 12:40:56 PM »

New video from Jorn.  I swear this dude is the ugliest motherfucker alive when he sings but his voice is unbelievable.  I'd kill for he and Marco Heitala to work together at some point!

• Laz
« Reply #93 on: June 26, 2013, 12:54:27 PM »
Erik Rutan is uglier. This guy just needs to get rid of the ghey Fu Manchu wannabe and grow an actual beard.

Offline Nymyzys

« Reply #94 on: June 26, 2013, 12:57:52 PM »
He's somehow even uglier without the Hogan'stache.

Offline Epic Reine

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #95 on: June 27, 2013, 02:57:38 AM »

Everyone needs to listen to this. Or at least the last 10 minutes.

• Laz
« Reply #96 on: June 30, 2013, 07:43:37 AM »
NEW CARCASS OH HOLY SHIT FUCK YEAH

Sounds a little watered down now that we have bands like Exhumed and Impaled that do this stuff so great nowadays, but it's still amazing. This could have easily been on Heartwork.

Offline Dramatic Pizza

• brock lock
« Reply #97 on: July 02, 2013, 02:22:38 PM »
That sounds way better than I was expecting. A mix between Heartwork and Necroticism and blows every song on Swansong away. Bill Steer's vocals sound better than ever.

• Laz
« Reply #98 on: July 02, 2013, 02:37:09 PM »
I totally see the Necroticism/Heartwork blend.

• Laz
« Reply #99 on: July 04, 2013, 04:37:35 AM »
Feel free to skip this post if you're not interested in hearing another one of my band's demos.
Spoiler: show