Author Topic: Saturday Night Live  (Read 35643 times)

Description: 2013 Season

Offline Sty Guy Kamala

• CXF Writer
  • Sometimes A Friend is Worth A Billion Dollars
Re: Saturday Night Live
« Reply #500 on: October 11, 2019, 11:07:35 PM »
Michael Che was also bullying Seth Simons and Megh Wright (using Joker as a metaphor too like Norm. jfc) on Instagram.

Che's a good comedian but he's either extremely dumb and/or has extremely bad judgment and I don't doubt that his SNL run is going to end in ignominious fashion after he pisses off the wrong person.

Like Norm! :)

Offline Youth N Asia

• 2016 & 2017 Death Pool Reaper
  • STRONG STYLE!
« Reply #501 on: December 07, 2019, 04:07:34 PM »
That was the worst episode in quite some time. The first half of the show was essentially “isn’t Jennifer Lopez hot?”

Offline strummer

« Reply #502 on: December 21, 2019, 03:54:27 PM »
Oh man Gumby had me howling with laughter. To no surprise Eddie has been great and has elevated the material. Like Sandler last year he blows away this  cast in terms of charisma and stage presence. And he's just really fuckng great

Pete Davidson might be my least favorite cast member of all time. What was it with him taking a shot at Daniel Tosh (!?!?) tonight. WTF?!

Offline Joyful & Soyful

• brock lock
« Reply #503 on: December 21, 2019, 04:15:54 PM »
Yeah Eddie is still a fantastic performer. All his characters were still really funny. The non Eddie parts stunk. Baldwin's Trump is so awful. And, all the political humor is so bland and milquetoast. Are Jost/Che that giggly and bad with their delivery? They suck as does Pete Davidson.

Offline Youth N Asia

• STRONG STYLE!
« Reply #504 on: December 21, 2019, 04:32:04 PM »
Eddie was on fire tonight. The old stuff was great. Everything else he did was great. More laugh out loud moments tonight from this show than I can remember having in years. Robinson was great, Gumby was hilarious, the bake off stuff with Eddie was funny as hell, Buckwheat was a little bit of a miss for me. Even got in a shit. Fantastic show tonight.

I always like the Jost and Che write jokes for each other bit for the Christmas show.

The guy that plays Yang is painful to watch in every sketch he’s in.

Time to find someone that can actually do a Trump.

Pete has gone from someone I liked when he was barely on to someone I can’t stand to see anymore.

Also sounded like Strong snuck in a fuck at the end of her weekend update bit.

Offline strummer

« Reply #505 on: December 21, 2019, 11:01:03 PM »
Mentioned this already but Eddie and Sandler returning and just completely smoking the new cast last couple years just shines a brighter light on their lack of star power. I don't know if any cast in the show's history has felt this starless or bland.  Maybe the early 80s casts when Eddie was off filming movies. Ever since the mass exodus after 2012 (Wiig, Samberg, Hader) they've just had no star creation. Kate yes but all her movies have tanked and it's becoming clear she just doesn't have widespread appeal.

But the show wins a bunch of awards and the press loves it now so what the hell. It ain't gonna change

Offline Youth N Asia

• STRONG STYLE!
« Reply #506 on: December 22, 2019, 01:00:54 AM »
Even if I don’t like the new shows as much I like the current cast a lot. Seems like when guys like Eddie, Adam, and Will show back up they’re just on another level and it reminds you why you liked them in the first place.

Offline Joyful & Soyful

• brock lock
« Reply #507 on: December 22, 2019, 01:26:29 AM »
Almost all of the white men blend together for me. I'm someone that maybe watches one or two episodes per season so I can't tell what makes Beck Bennett, Alex Moffat, or Mikey Day stand out from each other. I don't think Kyle Mooney was even on last night. I read they have like 18 cast members these days. I remember when they used to joke on the show about Tim Meadows being there for 8 years. Now everyone stays longer than that. It's turning into WWE where barely anyone gets fired.

Offline Sty Guy Kamala

• CXF Writer
« Reply #508 on: January 08, 2020, 01:23:02 PM »
https://deadline.com/2020/01/buck-henry-dead-saturday-night-live-the-graduate-get-smart-1202825337

Frequent original era host (and writer of The Graduate and co-creator of Get Smart) Buck Henry died of a heart attack today.

One of the great hosts. He played a tremendous straightman for Belushi, Radner, et al to play off of.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
  • I have a doobie in my funk.
« Reply #509 on: January 08, 2020, 01:36:19 PM »
Fuck.

Uncle Roy was some classic shit.

Offline Sty Guy Kamala

• CXF Writer
« Reply #510 on: January 22, 2020, 06:24:39 AM »

Offline Joyful & Soyful

• brock lock
« Reply #511 on: January 22, 2020, 06:42:42 AM »
I'm hoping they move on from him ( and Jost as well tbh) as their writing is so bland and dull and neither are very funny as tv performers. Che especially seems like a massive asshole. Snl obviously has been more bad then good for a long time, but the political humor that they rely so much on now is so lame and safe. Are there even any recurring characters any more? Every time I watch it's bad Baldwin Trump stuff or a celeb showing up to play a political figure.

Offline strummer

« Reply #512 on: January 22, 2020, 07:43:14 AM »
Old news but Eddie's show was the highest rated episode since 2008.

I get not liking Che and Jost but I don't think they are necessarily the main problems why the show isn't that good. Starts with Lorne

Offline Joyful & Soyful

• brock lock
« Reply #513 on: January 22, 2020, 07:58:05 AM »
Lorne is there till he passes away or steps down. The head writers seem to be a solvable problem. The show has been spinning it's wheels forever, but feels somehow more samey recently. It feels the same as five years ago. I barely watch and the show isn't really for me I guess so I get it. It's basically a slightly more edgy late night Ellen to me anymore.

Offline strummer

« Reply #514 on: January 22, 2020, 07:59:35 AM »
Oh I completely agree. Show has had a sameness feel forever. You could argue ever since the .Will Ferrell era began

Offline Sty Guy Kamala

• CXF Writer
« Reply #515 on: January 22, 2020, 02:22:27 PM »
I actually think Michael Che can be a fairly funny dude (definitely much more in his stand up than SNL) but he shows tinges of sociopathy.

But then again, so do a lot of comedians so Idk. Not even necessarily in a malicious way like Che but I watched David Chang's Netflix travelogue show last night with Kate MacKinnon as guest and she just straight up seemed like she had no idea how normal human beings acted.

To no one's surprise, I'm 99.9% sure that Che is the one that went to bat for Shane Gillis.

Offline Sty Guy Kamala

• CXF Writer
« Reply #516 on: February 06, 2020, 10:20:59 AM »
John Mulaney/David Byrne on 2/29.

Hell yeah.

Offline Youth N Asia

• STRONG STYLE!
« Reply #517 on: February 08, 2020, 03:11:31 PM »
The crowd and twitter seem to love tonight... I think it’s the worst episode I’ve seen in years so far. I’m guessing this library bit is something for fans of Paul?

Online treble

• Truculence
  • Admin
« Reply #518 on: February 08, 2020, 03:39:55 PM »
Whoever decided that every cold open needs everyone in the sketch to come back and scream "Live from New York..." needs to be shot into the sun.

Chloe Fineman's Weekend Update bit was fun.

Offline strummer

« Reply #519 on: February 08, 2020, 04:47:24 PM »
Yeah didn't think much of tonight's show. The political stuff is beyond stale and fucking Christ they brought back "Chad" again. Go away Pete.

The crowd was hot though. They seemed to really like Chloe's update bit a lot.

RuPaul cameo'd in the season premiere of the 93-94 season. Unless I'm forgetting other times a near 27 year gap between appearances

Offline Youth N Asia

• STRONG STYLE!
« Reply #520 on: February 09, 2020, 02:39:09 AM »
I liked the first Chad skit. Thought it was pretty funny. Would have been a great one off.

I check twitter during SNL to see what others are thinking. And it feels like social media is really pushing the Bowen Yang is hilarious angle. He’s pretty terrible.

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #521 on: February 09, 2020, 03:50:40 AM »
I felt Yang was funny in his first appearance or two but I really feel like he plays every character identical.  Even when he plays Andrew Yang, it is no different than whatever random character he plays in a sketch.
[img width=800

Fan: WHY CAN REY BEAT BIG GUYS BUT NOT KIDMAN
Kevin Nash: Kidman wears a wife beater

Offline Joyful & Soyful

• brock lock
« Reply #522 on: February 09, 2020, 04:10:10 AM »
I thought he did a good Ken Jeong impression in The Eddie Murphy episode, but I haven't seen enough to judge him.

Offline Youth N Asia

• STRONG STYLE!
« Reply #523 on: February 09, 2020, 04:13:54 AM »
It’s just his every day speaking voice. Kinda like when Fred was doing Obama, but with less effort. If he’d just deepen his voice a tiny amount it’d resemble something like an impression. Sudeikis doesn’t have a great Biden, but he’s trying and stands out because of it. Hopefully he gets better.

Offline strummer

« Reply #524 on: February 10, 2020, 03:53:02 AM »
He also tends to shout his lines for no real reason although that's been a common trait since the Will Ferrell era started