Author Topic: Purge and Purge Anarchy Talk  (Read 4586 times)

Description: This looks good

Offline Avid Warehouse Enthusiast

• Laz
Purge and Purge Anarchy Talk
« on: April 21, 2013, 03:07:58 AM »

I saw this trailer before the Evil Dead remake and before Lords of Salem Friday night and this looks to be pretty fucking good. It's written/directed by James DeMonaco, who also wrote The Negotiator and the remake for Assault on Precinct 13, both of which I think are pretty damn good (with Assault being one of my preferred remakes, one I find better than the original).

Ethan Hawke is finally finding his real groove in genre pictures and he is RUNNING with it. Good for him.

Offline Big Beard Booty Daddy

• My name's not fucking Warren
  • Canadian Destroyer213
Re: Purge and Purge Anarchy Talk
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 10:58:05 AM »
I'm not 100% sold on this one. I'm a big Hawke fan, so I might check it out because of him, but between this and You're Next (another one where the trailer did nothing to get me interested), I'm already tired of home invasion movies with people wearing masks.
2012 TRTSM Fantasy Hockey Champion

Offline Youth N Asia

• 2016 & 2017 Death Pool Reaper
  • STRONG STYLE!
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 05:07:00 PM »
Saw the trailer tonight during Tosh.0

This looks pretty badass. I dig the idea behind it. The home invasion story is a little tired, but it's a twist I like.

"You're Next" does nothing at all for me. Looks way too much like "The Strangers" which was a total shitfest.

Offline jerk of all trades

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 05:20:18 PM »
I haven't seen anything about You're Next, but the first thing I thought of when I saw the trailer for the Purge was Te Strangers. Probably because of the overused "creepy strangers in masks" trope.

Offline Youth N Asia

• STRONG STYLE!
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 06:11:31 PM »
It almost feels like they're stuck doing the masks in these movies. A dude's face is just a face. The mask is creepy. Probably because (in this case) it's childish in nature.

Unless this just gets shelled in reviews I'll likely end up seeing this one.

Offline NoCalMike

• Welcome to Prime Time, bitch!
    • EVIL EPISODES PODCAST!
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2013, 06:25:54 PM »
I like the trailer or a lot.  The one early review I read gave it a lukewarm review a 2 out of 5....it can be read here (no spoilers)

http://www.dreadcentral.com/reviews/purge-2013
Get your TV Horror Fix w/the Podcast EVIL EPISODES! Listen at:
http://www.legionpodcasts.com/
http://www.horrorphilia.com

• Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2013, 08:05:54 PM »
Saw the trailer tonight during Tosh.0

This looks pretty badass. I dig the idea behind it. The home invasion story is a little tired, but it's a twist I like.

"You're Next" does nothing at all for me. Looks way too much like "The Strangers" which was a total shitfest.

You're Next features AJ Bowen and Ti West who the horror community love and will give a pass on 90% of the time no matter how bad their movies are. It seems that neither of them nor the twin sister who made that overrated mess American Mary can do nothing wrong.

Offline Edwin

• Smash and bang is my favorite combination
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2013, 11:46:38 PM »
The Purge looks like it'll be interesting for the first 20 minutes.  The overall concept and how that might play out is way more compelling than one home invasion during aforesaid purge.

Offline Youth N Asia

• STRONG STYLE!
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2013, 04:48:07 PM »
The more I see of this the more I'm sure it will suck.

One thing I hate about these movies (The Stranger, Funny Games) aside from them sucking is that the killers always seem completely fearless. I get that you're there to do some murder, but it seems to be that every killer in these types of movies are nearly cyborg like

And I know nothing of the movie, but it wouldn't shock me if that the son was in on it.

Offline 2GOLD

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2013, 06:17:50 PM »
Why the masks? If murder is legal, why the masks to conceal your identity? Even if you fail, you can't be arrested for it so the masks are just for fun or shocking twist value.

Offline Nymyzys

• TRTSM's Color Commentator
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2013, 08:50:43 PM »
^ Exactly.  Just something to creep you out.

• Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2013, 09:06:26 PM »
Why the masks? If murder is legal, why the masks to conceal your identity? Even if you fail, you can't be arrested for it so the masks are just for fun or shocking twist value.

I'm guessing that it's something to do with the rest of the year, these people don't want to be known as murderers. They want to walk down the street and not have anyone look differently at them. Could be that they have jobs where they interact with people on a regular basis and don't want those people to be scared away knowing they are murderers. Or it's just a way for the characters to look creepy.

Offline 2GOLD

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2013, 10:54:45 AM »
It just feels like it is going to be used as a cheap plot device for the shocking twist of who the killers are. It's more terrifying to me that a bunch of people are coming to your house to torture and murder you and it's totally 100% legal they are coming to do it.

Still though, love the actors so I'll give it a chance.

Offline Nymyzys

• TRTSM's Color Commentator
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2013, 11:14:53 AM »
Same here.  Really looking forward to this!

• Laz
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2013, 12:16:09 PM »
It wouldn't surprise me if something were explained about it, like the fact that revenge at the next purge could be a huge factor. Or it could just be for fun. Creeping the victim out, and whatnot.

• Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2013, 12:40:23 PM »
It just feels like it is going to be used as a cheap plot device for the shocking twist of who the killers are. It's more terrifying to me that a bunch of people are coming to your house to torture and murder you and it's totally 100% legal they are coming to do it.

Still though, love the actors so I'll give it a chance.

This is the reason I have interest. Ethan Hawke and it's from the people behind Sinister, my second favorite horror from last year.

• Laz
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2013, 12:07:21 PM »
I understand what they were trying to do here. I really do. The concept of all crime being legal for 12 hours makes sense, the social commentary about the wealthy preying upon the poor with little care makes sense, and I loved the "we're going to fight back" portion (although it was far too short, since THAT is what the bulk of the movie should have been), but it just, all in all, did not work.

Spoiler: show
The neighbors turning on the family at the end was foreshadowed early on, but it either needed to end the movie or have them legitimately the saviors of the wife and kids, although it did lead to one of my favorite parts of the movie: every survivor sitting around the kitchen table waiting for the Purge's end siren to be heard, and the one neighbor goes for the mother's shotgun, so she smashes her face against the table and shatters her nose.

4/10.

Offline Youth N Asia

• STRONG STYLE!
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2013, 03:19:52 PM »
Liked it, but didn't love it.

It seemed like the build up for the bad guys to get into the house went on way too long. By the time they finally got in there it seemed like the movie was nearly ready to wrap up.

The killers got on my nerves a little as well. Let's dance in front of the camera all menacing like. And let's run piggy back through the house. Because it's practical. They're out to do killings. I don't think you need to sell much harder that they're craaaaaaaaaazy. The main guy was most annoying "See how composed I am? Isn't it unsettling?"

The neighbors showing up was a little predictable. With the smartass comment earlier in the driveway. And the neighbor having a Purge Party without telling them

I think I would put my house on lockdown just a little more than 2 minutes before Purge time. Just in case of early birds.

A scene that made me laugh was "Ok, they're coming in. We need to get ready. And by get ready I mean let's leave that dude we're saving, and likely killing our family over tied to a chair like a sitting duck. And not find our concussion daughter just bopping around the house.

The shotgun blast to the girl on the pool table got the biggest reaction from my crowd.

I think I have more to say, but I'll wait for others to chime in

Offline Damaramu

« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2013, 04:15:51 AM »
I'm so conflicted on this movie. I went with my friend and my girl. My friend hated it, my girl liked it.

I liked the movie but thought it could be so much more. Here's what I didn't get

If he trusted these psychos outside to not kill him or rush in when he opened the door to send the homeless out then why didn't he just open up and say "Yeah he's hiding in the house. I can't find him. You're welcome to go get him though!" Boom, problem solved. Then again there wouldn't be much of a movie if that happened....
I watched RAW. I thought it sucked. The usual problems and such.

• Laz
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2013, 08:39:52 AM »
 If he trusted these psychos outside to not kill him or rush in when he opened the door to send the homeless out then why didn't he just open up and say "Yeah he's hiding in the house. I can't find him. You're welcome to go get him though!" Boom, problem solved. Then again there wouldn't be much of a movie if that happened....

I thought that too, but then I thought
that there's no way he trusted them. They're outside HIS house, they've openly threatened HIS family, and since they could easily kill him and his family as well as the hobo, he'd have been dumber to let them in than to do what he did.

I'm not with the "they should have made the movie about the origins of the Purge itself" crowd, but there definitely should have been more footage of the Purge and some more legitimate tension. Think The Collector, which is riddled with tension but delivers on the grotesque gore it promises. This delivered on neither outside of one or two brief moments.

Offline fazzle

« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2013, 09:50:49 AM »
Yeah I just got back from seeing this and was severely underwhelmed.   It just seemed to drag on for far too long at the beginning and then the home invasion stuff felt rushed as a result.  The one part that just boggled my mind

I counted each time someone died, and there were at least TWELVE people in that group (I say at least because it sounded like the "rescuing" neighbors killed more offscreen, but I didn't count them) out to kill the one guy for their purge for the year.  At that point, what are you even doing?  How does it help to purge your evil feelings if each person only gets in one good blow before he's dead?  I'd like to imagine that even if everything went according to plan, it'd wind up like a wrestling triple threat match where the heels would fight each other (or in this case kill each other) to determine who actually got to kill him

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2013, 02:54:21 PM »
I just assumed he was one of many that they would've been after that night.

Offline fazzle

« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2013, 05:04:39 PM »
The way the leader referred to him as their target, and not a target, made it seem like he was their only one

Offline RedJed

• Rasslin' Rambler
    • RedJed's Rasslin' Rants - Only on YouTube! The latest in the wild and wacky world of pro wrestling!!
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2013, 03:44:31 AM »
Yeah count me in on the group of feeling this was an underwhelming movie. The trailers made it seem far more interesting than it really was. I do think it would have been better explaining how the Purge came to be a bit more and possibly putting out there the first ever purge event instead of whatever annual number this was. Just too many "huh?" plot holes too in terms of the conflict of what to do with the homeless guy (the young kid was the most annoying child in film in quite some time given how he was scripted to risk all their lives over and over, etc), and then as well as how here they were roaming all too freely around their house while apparently a shitload of people were in the house trying to kill them. And more importantly, why didn't they all just leave the fucking house when they got the chance? Especially when
Ethan Hawke's character got stabbed but given the impression he was holding on to his life for awhile after?
All this stuff should have been thought out more but, hey....its a joint production from Platinum Dunes, what do you expect?!

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2013, 09:18:51 AM »
If they left the house they probably would've gotten massacred elsewhere. They still had something like 6 hours left for the purge itself.

Offline Jaxxxson Mayhem

• If I told you cocaine numbers you would think I was lyin'
  • WWWYKI
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2013, 06:02:03 PM »
This movie was crazy disappointing. I was expecting awesome and got ugh. I was hoping that little runt of a kid would die the whole film. What a little piece of shit. Also, I was interested in who the New Founding Fathers were. That was more interesting that most of the film. There was so much more they could have done with what they had but chose to ignore it instead.

Offline Youth N Asia

• STRONG STYLE!
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2013, 06:04:16 PM »
The Purge, The Strangers, and Funny Games all suckered me in with a good trailer, and all underperformed. I think I just really want to live out a home invasion and am not satisfied by what Hollywood is giving me.

• Laz
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2013, 02:04:27 AM »
Give me your address and I may be able to make that happen, YNA.

Offline Youth N Asia

• STRONG STYLE!
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2013, 02:11:05 AM »
Give me your address and I may be able to make that happen, YNA.

I meant from the other side of it. I would like my apartment unmolested.

Offline GAYGENT OF OBLIVION

• Go Gators
  • Faded as fuck
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2013, 02:59:06 AM »
Would you like to try to break into my house instead? :)

Offline Youth N Asia

• STRONG STYLE!
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2013, 04:38:07 AM »
You, uh... You cool with that?

Offline Jaxxxson Mayhem

• If I told you cocaine numbers you would think I was lyin'
  • WWWYKI
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2013, 10:10:15 AM »
One way or another we're going to end up with one less TRTSMer if that happens.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

• Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2013, 12:49:35 PM »
Finally got around to watching this today in a double feature with World War Z (which I ended up really loving) and I enjoyed this. It had some eye rolling parts, but overall I liked it. I thought Hawke was really solid here, as he is in mostly everything I've seen him in, which is a lot. It's not my favorite movie of the year, but I'd buy it and watch it again.

• Laz
« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2013, 09:16:04 AM »
One way or another we're going to end up with one less TRTSMer if that happens.
This is going to be a bloody good time. I can see Agent being more of a Leatherface type when people try to invade his home as opposed to a Jigsaw/Collector type.

• Laz
« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2014, 05:08:05 PM »

Basically looks like what the first one should have been, but still looks shittier.

...I'll probably see it...

• Laz
« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2014, 05:58:00 AM »
The Purge: Anarchy was actually pretty damn fun. Way better than the first, leaps and bounds, and the people who made this one actually thought the purge out a bit more fully. Really enjoyed the main guy, he's the dude that they need to cast as the Punisher if they decide to reboot that anytime soon.

• Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2014, 07:58:02 AM »
The Purge: Anarchy was actually pretty damn fun. Way better than the first, leaps and bounds, and the people who made this one actually thought the purge out a bit more fully. Really enjoyed the main guy, he's the dude that they need to cast as the Punisher if they decide to reboot that anytime soon.

100% agree. I've mentioned that I'm one of the 8 people that liked the first one, but this one is so much better. Being outside on the streets while everything was going on was such a great idea. The characters were ones you could actually root for. The killings were great as well. This one is barely "rotten" on RT, and it deserves the good reviews it's getting.

• Laz
« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2014, 08:02:16 AM »
I think it could've been legitimately good if they focused more on
the auction and hunting grounds
instead of that being just a speedbump, but it's worth a watch.

• Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2014, 08:43:44 AM »
That was a great scene. I didn't think this one was very much horror, but that scene was one that had some great horror elements.

Offline Youth N Asia

• STRONG STYLE!
« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2014, 05:24:07 PM »
Saw The Purge tonight. Way better than the first.

Some if the people in the movie would fit right in to the Dead Rising video game series for the psychopath boss battles.

When the explosions went off all I could think was "Omar comin', yo"

I don't get the whole cutting it close deal with purging time. I feel like I would be in 24 hour lockdown leading up to things.

And this was driving me nuts the second I heard him speak. The guy in the back of the truck, I spent the whole damn movie wondering where I knew his voice from. He played Sahjhan on Angel.

Offline Damaramu

« Reply #40 on: July 21, 2014, 12:40:15 AM »
The second Purge was everything the first one should have been. It was just awesome.

A couple of things:

When the people were trapped downtown I kept wondering why they just didn't get to a rooftop? There were a few snipers but I'd think if you could climb a fire escape and hide out on a rooftop all night you'd be safe. I don't think the gangs were roaming rooftops. But doing the logical thing is never good for an exciting movie obviously.

The hunting ground was an awesome part and I hope if they do a third it focuses on something like this on a bigger scale. The hunting grounds reminded me of the Ghenki games from Saints Row.

Why was every member of the militant protest group black? Seemed like they were alluding to something....

• Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #41 on: July 21, 2014, 04:24:06 AM »
One thing that's interesting to note is that the same guy wrote/directed both movie. It's like he heard the criticisms about the first and went out of refills way to fix them here. I'd love to see a more country side scope for the next one.

Offline fazzle

« Reply #42 on: July 21, 2014, 04:42:23 AM »
I saw the movie on Friday, and one thing I don't remember

Did they ever say why the mother and her daughter were targeted?  All I remember was them going into the truck and seeing all sorts of other buildings also targeted, but did they say why?  I don't think just "because they're poor" is a good enough reason, since everyone in their building was poor, but they were specifically after those two.

• Laz
« Reply #43 on: July 21, 2014, 04:59:48 AM »
Dama:
The anti-NFFA militants were all black/Hispanic because these movies wear the anti-neocon stuff on their sleeves. It's the most blatant "political" message behind a movie that hasn't been made by Sean Penn or Lloyd Kaufman. The Tea Party regularly tries to pass legislation that negatively effects minorities, the Purge really only has negative affects on the poor (which aren't predominantly pale)...2+2.

fazzle:
It was alluded to that their building was tagged with anti-NFFA graffiti, but the general ("Big Daddy") kinda explained to the main guy that people aren't killing as often as they used to, so they're sent out to keep piling the bodies. Again, seeing as how both flicks are extremely anti-Tea Party/GOP, it's basically just another way of saying "the government is intentionally killing the poor to keep the wealthy elite in power."

Offline fazzle

« Reply #44 on: July 21, 2014, 05:09:56 AM »

fazzle:
It was alluded to that their building was tagged with anti-NFFA graffiti, but the general ("Big Daddy") kinda explained to the main guy that people aren't killing as often as they used to, so they're sent out to keep piling the bodies. Again, seeing as how both flicks are extremely anti-Tea Party/GOP, it's basically just another way of saying "the government is intentionally killing the poor to keep the wealthy elite in power."

Right, that would be the reason to murder the entire building.  But the soldiers knew before they went in that they were specifically looking for the mother and daughter.  Everyone else in the building was just extra

Offline Damaramu

« Reply #45 on: July 21, 2014, 05:19:39 AM »

fazzle:

Right, that would be the reason to murder the entire building.  But the soldiers knew before they went in that they were specifically looking for the mother and daughter.  Everyone else in the building was just extra

They weren't specifically looking for them.

One of the soldiers said "This is what he was looking for" as in referring to the mexican guy they killed.
Then they radioed to the guy below and said they were bringing two down.

I don't know if it was ever explained why they took them instead of just killing them like everyone else, but I don't think they were specifically targeted.

Offline fazzle

« Reply #46 on: July 21, 2014, 05:30:53 AM »

fazzle:

They weren't specifically looking for them.

One of the soldiers said "This is what he was looking for" as in referring to the mexican guy they killed.
Then they radioed to the guy below and said they were bringing two down.

I don't know if it was ever explained why they took them instead of just killing them like everyone else, but I don't think they were specifically targeted.

I took the "what he was looking for" to mean the two girls, as in they were specifically sent in the building to get them.

• Laz
« Reply #47 on: July 21, 2014, 06:18:42 AM »
I figured it was just that he wanted to watch their faces as he gunned them down himself. It's not like he was revealed to be particularly caring.

• Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #48 on: July 21, 2014, 08:25:16 AM »

fazzle:

The daughter was
 watching the anti-NFFA videos so they probably knew who they were looking for from that. NSA style snooping.

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #49 on: July 21, 2014, 08:32:02 AM »
BUMP... Merged from the Bad Movies Thread into the original Purge thread.