Author Topic: Purge and Purge Anarchy Talk  (Read 4585 times)

Description: This looks good

Offline Damaramu

I watched RAW. I thought it sucked. The usual problems and such.

Offline Damaramu

Re: Purge and Purge Anarchy Talk
« Reply #51 on: July 22, 2014, 07:00:35 AM »
The next one should be called "Purge: Origins". Maybe it can be a story about the very first Purge. I feel like it'd be a good blend of just insane chaos as people try to cope with what they can and can't do.

Offline Youth N Asia

• 2016 & 2017 Death Pool Reaper
  • STRONG STYLE!
« Reply #52 on: July 22, 2014, 08:57:35 AM »
The budget on Anarchy was $9 million. So it's already made triple that on last week's gross.

Offline Avid Warehouse Enthusiast

• Laz
« Reply #53 on: July 22, 2014, 09:07:07 AM »
The next one should be called "Purge: Origins". Maybe it can be a story about the very first Purge. I feel like it'd be a good blend of just insane chaos as people try to cope with what they can and can't do.
NO. That's some direct-to-DVD crap. If anything, I'd say do this as a short and include it as a special feature on the inevitable Purge/Purge: Anarchy double-disc SE BluRay set.

Offline fazzle

« Reply #54 on: July 22, 2014, 09:13:39 AM »
Does the next Purge involve people ganging up and going after government officials, or do they stretch that out til Purge 4?

Offline Damaramu

« Reply #55 on: July 22, 2014, 12:37:54 PM »
NO. That's some direct-to-DVD crap. If anything, I'd say do this as a short and include it as a special feature on the inevitable Purge/Purge: Anarchy double-disc SE BluRay set.

How is that direct to DVD crap? It could be a great movie if it's done well.

• Laz
« Reply #56 on: July 22, 2014, 01:02:39 PM »
Prequels are inherently bad, that's how.

Offline Youth N Asia

• STRONG STYLE!
« Reply #57 on: July 22, 2014, 03:05:02 PM »
I'd be ok with more of the same really.

Offline Damaramu

« Reply #58 on: July 23, 2014, 01:19:58 AM »
Prequels are inherently bad, that's how.

I think in this case it would be good.

• Laz
« Reply #59 on: July 23, 2014, 04:56:40 AM »
Name a good prequel, particularly in the horror/genre picture field.

Offline Damaramu

« Reply #60 on: July 23, 2014, 05:11:00 AM »
Name a good prequel, particularly in the horror/genre picture field.

I said in this case it would be good. I'm not going to debate the validity of prequels with you.

It's not like the first and second movies were connected, so why does the third have to be connected?

It'll essentially be the same thing as the other two, only set during the first Purge.

I don't want to explore the New Founding Fathers or any of that. I just want to see the first Purge and how people acted or reacted during it. I think it would probably be the most chaotic one as people realize what they can and can't do.

Offline fazzle

« Reply #61 on: July 23, 2014, 03:27:52 PM »
Can you really count Purge 2 as a horror movie though?  That thing is just a straight up action.

Offline Youth N Asia

• STRONG STYLE!
« Reply #62 on: July 23, 2014, 03:42:52 PM »
I didn't realize until I was poking around on imdb, but Omar's main militant guy was the stranger in the first film.

• Laz
« Reply #63 on: July 23, 2014, 10:30:19 PM »
Can you really count Purge 2 as a horror movie though?  That thing is just a straight up action.
Not really, but it's definitely a genre picture and a sequel to what was an attempt at horror.

Wait, YNA, you mean the homeless guy?
**checks IMDB**
...holy shit. That's awesome.

Offline Big Beard Booty Daddy

• My name's not fucking Warren
  • Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #64 on: July 24, 2014, 12:50:20 PM »
Holy crap, that's pretty awesome continuity.

And I would put this more in line with something like Escape from NY.
2012 TRTSM Fantasy Hockey Champion

• Laz
« Reply #65 on: July 05, 2016, 04:37:06 AM »
Bumping this because Election Year came out and is the best of the three. It's the same "politics on its sleeve" type of anarcho-grind action/horror, features a returning Sgt. Leo Jones (Frank Grillo) and Dante "Dwayne" Bishop (only character in all three), a pair of Justified alums (Mykelti Williamson and Raymond J. Barry), and one of the most satisfactory kills I think I've ever seen.

EDIT:
After reading the first page, there's a few answers about questions some had in the third. They're not as overt as the anti-neocon message, but they're alluded to.
Spoiler: show
Such as why the mother/daughter from the second were being apprehended, this one has the NFFA Presidential candidate running a midnight Purge mass, so it would be a fair assumption to say that they were being brought to something similar.

Offline RedJed

• Rasslin' Rambler
    • RedJed's Rasslin' Rants - Only on YouTube! The latest in the wild and wacky world of pro wrestling!!
« Reply #66 on: July 05, 2016, 05:31:37 AM »
Yeah, saw it on Friday and this whole franchise is interesting in that I have most definitely enjoyed each Purge film more than the previous. I also thought that after the first film, this whole Purge thing had no legs as an almost annual thing, but after the critical and financial success of this third one, I think it's certainly possible now. This one was absolutely the best of the bunch no doubt.

Kudos for them to build a nice little arc for Dante, the guy they let into the house in Purge 1. I enjoyed that immensely after watching the previous two films again right before the third.

The ending left open a different direction which I cant say may not lead to alot of creative stuff (as well as effectively ending an idea that seemed to have alot more potential in it) but it might. I still wouldn't mind an origins film at this point, perhaps the mix of part prequel, part sequel might work?

• Laz
« Reply #67 on: July 05, 2016, 06:05:00 AM »
I hate prequels, but I wouldn't mind another story of the Purge that even follows the idea of "murder tourism" that's brought up in the third. The first was a gated community in California, the second was the streets of LA, the third was primarily DC (with Woonsocket, RI being used a stand-in at parts), so another entry taking place in, say, Detroit or some other dying city would be welcome but unnecessary.

I love this series. It doesn't play for subtlety, it's brazen with its politics, and it knows how to build tension as it progresses. It's not Oscar-worthy by any stretch of the imagination, but it's the kind of no bullshit dystopian story that is needed to counter the common fluff.

Offline RedJed

• Rasslin' Rambler
    • RedJed's Rasslin' Rants - Only on YouTube! The latest in the wild and wacky world of pro wrestling!!
« Reply #68 on: July 05, 2016, 12:38:18 PM »
Yes, and its political ironies and overtones in this one seemed so intentional too on a more significant level than before. Like they have more of a solid mythology in place with this too and can explore these offshoot directions to necessitate them to release these hopefully out annually at this point.

Has there been any word on what is next in development with part four? I was surprised to not get much for news on the next one at this point as it has be almost ready to be in production soon at this point. Unless they go every two years now with them.

I like and hope that they stick with Demonaco on future installments, he has a good grip on the direction

• Laz
« Reply #69 on: July 05, 2016, 10:46:29 PM »
It's possible that this could be the last one.

Spoiler: show
Since Senator Roan won the Presidential election on an anti-Purge platform, promising to do away with the annual Purge.

• Laz
« Reply #70 on: July 07, 2016, 12:41:02 AM »
http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-awful-reasons-why-purge-could-actually-work/

Despite the somewhat misleading headline, ATB (who usually comes across as Bobby Moynihan with a massive cross to bear) actually nails down the reasoning of the Purge and why it works in the movies' universe.

Offline Gary

• Bionic Cock
  • CXF Writer
« Reply #71 on: July 16, 2016, 05:33:31 AM »
I can now say, in 2016, that I got a movie in which spoiled teen girls try to purge while blaring "Party in the USA". I laughed hard at that.

"go ahead. keep screaming "Shut The Fuck Up " at me. it only makes my opinions Worse"

Online Brooklyn Zoo

• BZ
  • BZ
« Reply #72 on: July 16, 2016, 05:54:59 AM »
I enjoyed the second one way more. This one is toooo hokey.

I also didn't care for senator roan. I mean, it's important to save her but I don't care for her as much as I cared for the others and the protagonists of the second one. Make sure we all save the white lady that she will save us all!

Offline CletusVanDamme

• BlackFlagg
« Reply #73 on: January 30, 2018, 10:50:17 AM »

• Laz
« Reply #74 on: January 30, 2018, 11:02:41 AM »
OH. YEAH.

• Laz
« Reply #75 on: July 06, 2018, 01:20:59 PM »
Just got back. The First Purge is the most blunt and visceral entry yet. I love this series for being the cinematic equivalent of Rage Against the Machine: its politics may be juvenile, but that doesn't stop them from being right.

Offline Gary

• Bionic Cock
  • CXF Writer
« Reply #76 on: July 07, 2018, 09:44:10 AM »
I wasn't that impressed (it's the third best one in the franchise) but the fact that it's pissing of chuds is a thing of beauty. Some choice IMDB user reviews

2/10
Racially/Politically Divisive Garbage
neener37075 July 2018
First of all, the vast majority of my, and others, review discussed how the film really was poorly made. With laughable writing, pathetic acting, and even the kill scenes were just plain old boring. Actors were not playing written characters, but just playing themselves. Writing that looks like it was written by a group of politically charged 13 year olds. But whenever I or others bring up the fact that its anti-white, anti-gun, divisive Leftist trash, which it is, reviews suddenly get deleted because it doesn't fit with the blind acceptance of films like this, Get Out, and the new Star Wars films. This film was just plain old bad, and was only made worse by a pathetic attempt to depict the racial divide in America, only perpetuating the divide instead of trying to preach love and acceptance. Do yourself a favor and don't watch it.

1/10
Disgusting- Race Baiting thrash!
pierce-horan4 July 2018
Everyone involved in making this movie should hang their heads in shame. This is a race baiting movie like I have never seen before.

With everything happening in society right now they had a greater responsibility to the public and movie goers then this piece of disgusting thrash of a movie.

The franchise is dead imo. What was a great concept for the first movie is no more. I honestly don't understand how a movie as blatantly rascist as this is allowed to get made.

Everyone who made this movie should be held to account and not given funds to make another piece of garbage like this again.

"go ahead. keep screaming "Shut The Fuck Up " at me. it only makes my opinions Worse"

Offline Saints_Fan_H

« Reply #77 on: July 07, 2018, 12:55:01 PM »
I observed this elsewhere: It was kind of pointless to get rid of the IMDB message boards when they don't have helpful quality control with who writes the reviews, trivia, and goofs.

Meanwhile I can't even edit shit on my own profile since I used a stage name.

Offline RedJed

• Rasslin' Rambler
« Reply #78 on: July 09, 2018, 02:02:20 AM »
Just got back. The First Purge is the most blunt and visceral entry yet. I love this series for being the cinematic equivalent of Rage Against the Machine: its politics may be juvenile, but that doesn't stop them from being right.

Most certainly agreed. They really went all in politically on this, showcasing manufactured political chaos by NFFA, which you kinda knew about but werent sure about the details on in terms of the early years, from the previous entries. This really put things into context well in terms of the hows and whys of the Purge, and normally a prequal wont give you much more than a little meat on the proverbial bone, but this one was different. While I didnt think this was by any means the best entry in the series (I liked it better than the original actually, but not as good as the other two) I thought it finally gave a bit of full circle service to the entire story, which should be the intention of a prequel in general. So I left pretty satisfied, yet blown away and kinda shocked how fucking on point this was with current political trends with our current administration. Not to say we are going to see a purge idea happen, but the general shock and awe mind manipulation and minority attacks that is going on right now in this country were duplicated well in this one. I appreciated the general continuity too in things and laying out timelines that makes sense with all this. Too many horror and sci-fi franchises are terrible with all that stuff.

Did anyone stay through some of the credits? They showed clips of the new Purge TV series that will be on USA in September. The big mystery in the TV series was when this would take place in the timeline, and it sounds like they will go with the gap from the films, which I kinda expected would be the case. So this will take place 10 years after the first Purge. The first film was, I recall, 5 years after the first one, then Anarchy was the following year. So the running idea is to have the TV series run a few years after Anarchy or so. So I'm thinking 2025ish.

I've heard various incarnations of the year Election Year was set (there was some general confusion because the rollover characters in Election Year didnt age much since Anarchy), but supposedly it was 25 years after the first Purge. Putting that one at 2040. This is the only real logic gap in the series since technology wasnt shown to be advanced one bit in Election Year, besides the few rollover characters not aged whatsoever. So theoretically, if this series takes off, there could be many seasons to sift through roughly 30 unaccounted Purge years. But I have a feeling they may instead try to shift many years ahead per episode, that would be better anyway.

I think there still is room for one more film that would take place after Election Year as well, as there was already a setting up going on in the end of that film in that pro-NFFA and pro-Purge protesters, etc were starting to attack and revolt across the country after the attempt was made to kill the Purge as a yearly tradition. We will see if that gets greenlit but I bet it will if the TV series is a hit.

Offline Big Beard Booty Daddy

• My name's not fucking Warren
  • Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #79 on: July 09, 2018, 02:15:33 AM »

Most certainly agreed. They really went all in politically on this, showcasing manufactured political chaos by NFFA, which you kinda knew about but werent sure about the details on in terms of the early years, from the previous entries. This really put things into context well in terms of the hows and whys of the Purge, and normally a prequal wont give you much more than a little meat on the proverbial bone, but this one was different. While I didnt think this was by any means the best entry in the series (I liked it better than the original actually, but not as good as the other two) I thought it finally gave a bit of full circle service to the entire story, which should be the intention of a prequel in general. So I left pretty satisfied, yet blown away and kinda shocked how fucking on point this was with current political trends with our current administration. Not to say we are going to see a purge idea happen, but the general shock and awe mind manipulation and minority attacks that is going on right now in this country were duplicated well in this one. I appreciated the general continuity too in things and laying out timelines that makes sense with all this. Too many horror and sci-fi franchises are terrible with all that stuff.

Did anyone stay through some of the credits? They showed clips of the new Purge TV series that will be on USA in September. The big mystery in the TV series was when this would take place in the timeline, and it sounds like they will go with the gap from the films, which I kinda expected would be the case. So this will take place 10 years after the first Purge. The first film was, I recall, 5 years after the first one, then Anarchy was the following year. So the running idea is to have the TV series run a few years after Anarchy or so. So I'm thinking 2025ish.

I've heard various incarnations of the year Election Year was set (there was some general confusion because the rollover characters in Election Year didnt age much since Anarchy), but supposedly it was 25 years after the first Purge. Putting that one at 2040. This is the only real logic gap in the series since technology wasnt shown to be advanced one bit in Election Year, besides the few rollover characters not aged whatsoever. So theoretically, if this series takes off, there could be many seasons to sift through roughly 30 unaccounted Purge years. But I have a feeling they may instead try to shift many years ahead per episode, that would be better anyway.

I think there still is room for one more film that would take place after Election Year as well, as there was already a setting up going on there that pro-NFFA protesters, etc were starting to attack and revolt across the country after the attempt was made to kill the Purge as a yearly tradition. We will see if that gets greenlit but I bet it will if the TV series is a hit.

I still need to watch Election Year before I see the new one, but this is one series I've liked.

I'm wondering if they would do one more movie, if they would do it to wrap up the series, whether showing that The Purge will never end, or give it an ending?
2012 TRTSM Fantasy Hockey Champion

Offline RedJed

• Rasslin' Rambler
« Reply #80 on: July 09, 2018, 02:38:52 AM »
Since you havent seen Election Year, I wont say too much than I already said in the previous post, but there was a kind of finality to things at the end of Election Year where they could end it that way and generally be full circle with it all. But there was a significant hook at the end of Election Year to signal they likely will do one last Purge film to complete everything.

• Laz
« Reply #81 on: July 09, 2018, 02:52:28 AM »
I think the ridiculous thing about the new one is how James DeMonaco basically just got sick of how often people overlooked the nuance of the first two films, what very little there actually was (seriously, it's been apparent since the first one what the Purge was intended to do), and said "NO THIS IS A METAPHOR FOR RACIST POLICIES." Most negative reviews (crowd, not critics) are decrying it for its anti-white racism, though, so it's not like there aren't complete idiots out there still.

Offline RedJed

• Rasslin' Rambler
« Reply #82 on: July 09, 2018, 02:57:12 AM »
I think the ridiculous thing about the new one is how James DeMonaco basically just got sick of how often people overlooked the nuance of the first two films, what very little there actually was (seriously, it's been apparent since the first one what the Purge was intended to do), and said "NO THIS IS A METAPHOR FOR RACIST POLICIES." Most negative reviews (crowd, not critics) are decrying it for its anti-white racism, though, so it's not like there aren't complete idiots out there still.

Yeah this one was not subtle in their focus on that point at all, and I applaud DeMonaco for it. It was clear in this one that the attacks on minorities and to take it a step further, in low-income areas, was done to draw a parallel to current times, and I think Election Year also was pretty brazen in that same presentation too, only in that one using more religious themes as smokescreens to confuse the mass America about the Purge.

Pretty fucking ironic too that apparently Trump's team is trying to brand and promote the same tagline that was used in these past films, particularly Election Year.

Offline fazzle

« Reply #83 on: July 09, 2018, 03:00:42 AM »

I'm wondering if they would do one more movie, if they would do it to wrap up the series, whether showing that The Purge will never end, or give it an ending?

They're doing a Purge TV show in the fall, so there's at least one more Purge property on the way

Edit:  Also I see that was already mentioned.   Fuck

Offline Youth N Asia

• STRONG STYLE!
« Reply #84 on: September 26, 2018, 04:17:56 PM »
I know the Purge movies don’t really get the cream of the crop when it comes to actors. But I’m two episodes into this tv show and it’s embarrassingly bad.

• Laz
« Reply #85 on: January 14, 2020, 10:29:17 PM »
Purge S1 was...meh.

Purge S2, though, was fucking awesome.