Author Topic: Black Sabbath Thread  (Read 3215 times)

Description:

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
  • Laugh This Off... Puddin!
    • Culture Crossfire
Black Sabbath Thread
« on: May 31, 2013, 10:06:13 AM »
We have one for Ronnie and one for Ozzy's VOICE but nothing for the band itself? Boo, people.  Just boo!

They released a new single... it's alright.  It mostly just meanders and is pretty unmemorable, sadly.

So with that said, let us discuss their new album or older material itt.

One of my favorite songs of theirs is Children of the Grave.  I just like the "swing" of the groove.

Offline God King Emperor Kamala

• CXF Writer
Re: Black Sabbath Thread
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2013, 12:33:01 PM »
It's funny. I've been going through a huge Sabbath phase the past month or so. I've even listened to some of the non Ozzy/Dio albums. Born Again wouldn't be regarded as one of the worst albums of all time if it didn't have the worst album cover ever. I'm not saying it stands as any of the participants best work but it isn't a hundredth as bad as its reputation and there are actually a few damn good songs on there. "Trashed" is like in the Top 3 GOAT songs about drunk driving. I actually think it does a better job of capturing the original lineup of Sabbath's sound than the Dio albums (which are great but sound like a different band).

I like some stuff off of Seventh Star too but all of the Ray Gillen/Tony Martin era stuff sucks and so does the Dio reunion album (Dehumanizer). The album they did with one of the dudes from Body Count that wasn't Ice T in the mid '90s when Iommi and Geezer Butler were twiddling their thumbs waiting for the original lineup reunion really is one of the worst albums ever.

Their new singles sound shockingly pretty good. If the rest of the album is at that level, it'll probably their best in thirty years. Not that that's huge praise.

Offline Jaxxxson Mayhem

• If I told you cocaine numbers you would think I was lyin'
  • WWWYKI
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2013, 01:45:01 PM »
How can you not like this?

GREAT song

Offline Epic Reine

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2013, 02:07:22 PM »
One of my favorite bands. I love me some Paranoid and the self titled. I don't think I heard a single song past "Heaven & Hell". It's pretty surreal to see that they kept releasing albums throughout the 90's sans Ozzy and Dio. I probably wouldn't see them live today though (I could care less about Bill Ward not being with them) and I usually am notiorious for seeing bands live when they're way past their prime. I think the allure has withered away from me.

Iommi is one of my favorite guitar players.

Offline GAYGENT OF OBLIVION

• Go Gators
  • Faded as fuck
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2013, 02:31:43 PM »
If I were being honest with myself, Black Sabbath is probably my favorite band, and they always have been. When I was little, talking single digit age, I was going through my dad's record collection when he was at work, basically being a brat, looking through covers with tits or devils or violence on them, anything with cuss words, etc. I found the first Sab album, put it on, heard rain, those first few notes with the distortion, and "what is this...that staaaands before me...figure in black, which points at me..." and instantly knew that this was the coolest thing I had ever heard.

Offline Gary

• "I'll just get my gear."
  • CXF Writer
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2013, 02:40:03 PM »
I had "Zero the Hero" stuck in my head earlier today. Maybe I need to revisit "Born Again"

I AM THE CHEESE! I AM THE BEST CHARACTER ON THE SHOW!! I AM BETTER THAN BOTH THE SALAMI AND THE BOLOGNA COMBINED!!

someone on here just called me a "Cunk" because my wife wont let me buy a harp.

• CXF Writer
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2013, 02:51:33 PM »
It's really one of the most unfairly maligned albums of all time. I'm not in the small minority of people saying it's a great album but it's not nearly as bad as its reputation and it has some pretty damn good tracks. I think high expectations and that horrible cover did it in.

My fave five Sabbath albums
5. Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
4. Black Sabbath
3. Vol. 4
2. Master of Reality
1. Paranoid

Offline Gary

• CXF Writer
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2013, 03:22:39 PM »
5.) Sabbath, Bloody Sabbath
4.) Black Sabbath
3.) Paronoid
2.) Master of Reality
1.) Vol. 4

I AM THE CHEESE! I AM THE BEST CHARACTER ON THE SHOW!! I AM BETTER THAN BOTH THE SALAMI AND THE BOLOGNA COMBINED!!

Offline Gary

• CXF Writer
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2013, 03:24:50 PM »
Actually, nevermind that, "Heaven and Hell" is #5.

• Go Gators
  • Faded as fuck
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2013, 03:44:36 PM »
1. Master of Reality
2. S/t
3. Paranoid
4. Vol 4
5. Sabbath Bloody Sabbath

Offline The Metal Maniac

• Oh yeah! I
  • Wow-ee!
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2013, 03:53:32 PM »
Love Black Sabbath. Been digging the new single too - did not anticipate it would be near as good as it is.

I was disapointed that Bill Ward wasn't involved, but I guess you take what you can get.

1. Paranoid
2. s/t
3. Master of Reality
4. Volume 4
5. Heaven and Hell

But that's the way I like it baby
I don't wanna live forever

• CXF Writer
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2013, 04:07:50 PM »
I think the Dio era is mildly overrated. I think the first Dio albums are better than the last two Ozzy albums (and obviously, everything that came after them) but they're absolutely smoked by the first five Sabbath albums (and about on par with Sabotage). I always liked Dio's solo work and Rainbow stuff better for some reason.

Offline Beer Baron

• I have a new hat.
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2013, 04:26:14 PM »
5. Sabotage
4. Paranoid
3. Heaven and Hell
2. Masters of Reality
1. S/T.

• Go Gators
  • Faded as fuck
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2013, 04:48:20 PM »
I think the Dio era is mildly overrated. I think the first Dio albums are better than the last two Ozzy albums (and obviously, everything that came after them) but they're absolutely smoked by the first five Sabbath albums (and about on par with Sabotage). I always liked Dio's solo work and Rainbow stuff better for some reason.

With you all the way on this, Double K.

• Go Gators
  • Faded as fuck
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2013, 04:50:04 PM »
Pick one:

First four Sabbath records or the first four Zeppelin records.

Offline Beer Baron

• I have a new hat.
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2013, 04:59:47 PM »
First four Sabbath albums. I really don't like Zeppelin II and I'm indifferent to Zeppelin III.

Offline The Metal Maniac

• Oh yeah! I
  • Wow-ee!
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2013, 01:23:17 AM »
Sabbath, easily. Don't get me wrong, I like Zep, but I love Sabbath, so no contest in my mind.
But that's the way I like it baby
I don't wanna live forever

Offline Gary

• CXF Writer
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2013, 02:40:46 AM »
Sabbath. Zeppelin II doesn't really do it for me.

• CXF Writer
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2013, 03:43:15 AM »
I'll take Sabbath too but it's fairly close. I feel like if Sabbath had just broken up when Ozzy left the first time, they might be universally regarded as on the same level as Zeppelin, not just by metalheads.

Although I think in the past few years, everybody except maybe the hosts of That Metal Show have collectively chosen to ignore their discography from '83 to '95 and since Dio's death was still fairly recent, people overrate his albums (plus I think their new album is gonna be really good by old dudes standards) so I think the Sabbath-Zeppelin debate is more even than it has been in decades.

Offline Epic Reine

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2013, 03:58:39 AM »
Black Sabbath and Ice-T? It was cool when Slayer did it but...

Offline Dad Rock

• Alfie
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2013, 04:43:17 AM »
Zeppelin. The self titled and untitled fourth album O/

Big Sabbath fan too though. I'd go:

6. Sabotage
5. Master of Reality
4. Black Sabbath
3. Black Sabbath, Vol. 4
2. Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
1. Paranoid
met this fat girl (not a huge whale or anything but like 25-26 BMI) at a club in like,,, 2008....shes cool, not my type but giant hooters....we start drinkin gettin real faded, and she takes me out to her car to smoke some dro.....im high as fuck and point blank shes just like "hey man i am down to blow you........" im like whatever and we try but my dick wasnt workin cuz i was so faded and this fuckin weed she had was like....fuck i just couldnt get my head in the game..but im rico suave and i get her digits and she texts me her address the next day and says "come over to get ur cock sucked and blow a load in my perm"

so i roll up and her roommate answers the door, i ask if her roomies around and she says "oh....she DIED TEN YEARS AGO THIS VERY DAY...."

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
  • Laugh This Off... Puddin!
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2013, 04:47:36 AM »
I re-listened to their new single again and it's growing on me.  It's grown from alright to solid enough, maybe even good but 8:00+ is just too long IMO.  If it had been trimmed to 5:00-6:30, it'd be better.

Since everybody else is doing it... my top 5

#5: Heaven & Hell
#4: Black Sabbath, Volume 4
#3: Black Sabbath
#2: Master of Reality
#1: Paranoid

• CXF Writer
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2013, 05:44:49 AM »
Black Sabbath and Ice-T? It was cool when Slayer did it but...

Yeah, I've read up a bit on Forbidden. Apparently, the only reason they did it was because they were contractually obligated to by their record label and Tony Iommi was just biding his time until Ozzy was done his solo committments and the original line up could reunite. That led to Tony Martin (singer in the late '80s and early '90s) being completely miserable and not giving a shit because he knew he had no long term job security. Ernie C (the guitarist from Body Count, who produced the album) was forced on them by the record label as well. So that's how Rap Sabbath came to be.

Forbidden and Motley Crue's Generation Swine are the two albums I think when I think of lame, cash in albums by classic rock bands trying to keep up with the times. Everybody's obviously miserable to be there and nobody even gives enough effort to make the albums even memorably bad.

Offline Gary

• CXF Writer
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2013, 08:39:44 AM »
Forbidden and Motley Crue's Generation Swine are the two albums I think when I think of lame, cash in albums by classic rock bands trying to keep up with the times. Everybody's obviously miserable to be there and nobody even gives enough effort to make the albums even memorably bad.

Oh, why start there? Let's not forget

Judas Priest-Turbo and Juggulator

Slayer-Diablos in Musica

Celtic Frist-Cold Lake

Metallica-almost everything post Black Album

Megadeth-Cryptic Writings, Risk and The World Needs a Hero

Cryptopsy-The Unspoken King

Morbid Angel-Illud Divinum Insanus

Shit, I'm probably forgetting a few.

Offline Squad Goals

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • Your POV
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2013, 08:45:13 AM »

Oh, why start there?

lol

• CXF Writer
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2013, 08:57:58 AM »
That really was a quintessential Gary Floyd postl

I disagree with almost every album Gary listed that I recognized. Which is basically the Metallica albums. Yeah, the post Black Album albums suck generally.  but I'd never accuse Metallica of not giving a shit. The directions they go in sometime are completely wrong headed but I never get the sense they're just going through the motions. With the possible exception of St. Anger, I think they thought every album they released was great at the time.

I haven't listened to them but I'd say the same thing is probably true with Megadeth and the Ripper Owens era Judas Priest albums. Yeah, they were bad ideas but I don't get the sense they didn't give a shit about them. It's one thing to make a bad album (and look at the KISS thread, I know bad albums)  but to consciously not care about the quality of the album you're recording is another level of terrible.

• CXF Writer
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2014, 07:57:58 AM »
All of the Ozzy era Black Sabbath albums have been added to Spotify! EFF YEAH!

Also I'm watching a performance from 1974 on ABC In Concert and holy shit, this smokes! What an awesome band.

Offline Beer Baron

• I have a new hat.
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2014, 12:05:05 AM »
The World Needs A Hero is probably Megadeths second best album.

Offline The Mole

• Chief Resistance Leader to CXF Dictatorship
  • CXF Writer
  • AA484
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2014, 12:23:58 AM »
Which means you have to put it ahead of either Rust in Peace or Peace Sells... Unacceptable lol

Offline Byron The Bulp

• Byron the bulb
  • Byron the bulb
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2014, 01:24:30 AM »

Offline L'AZentat

• Freie Kultur Kreuzfeuer
  • HURRAY YANKEE BLUE JEANS
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2014, 08:16:34 AM »
Which means you have to put it ahead of either Rust in Peace or Peace Sells... Unacceptable lol
And Countdown to Extinction, which is actually a better start-to-finish album than either of those but doesn't have as great of highs. Seriously. Re-listen to Rust in Peace. It's totally front-loaded and drifts into meh until the catchy closer title track.
Maybe the real deep state was the friends we made along the way.

Offline The Mole

• CXF Writer
  • AA484
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2014, 11:28:47 PM »
"Tornado of Souls" is definitely not meh.

Offline L'AZentat

• Freie Kultur Kreuzfeuer
  • HURRAY YANKEE BLUE JEANS
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2014, 04:49:08 AM »
Mehgadeth
Maybe the real deep state was the friends we made along the way.

• CXF Writer
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2014, 01:19:32 AM »
http://culturecrossfire.com/music/deep-discount-discussions-black-sabbath-seventh-star/#.UxyFYfldXd4
I discuss Seventh Star and the topic of when classic rock/metal bands should call it a day in my column "Deep Discount Discussions" (which profiles albums frequently found in cutout bins) for Culture Crossfire.

Offline Squad Goals

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • Your POV
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2017, 07:27:36 AM »
I've been getting into a bunch of Sabbath lately. I will always prefer the original ozzy era stuff, but the Dio stuff is still some of the best hard rock of the 80s.

I looked through the posts and it's abuncha megadeath talk wth

Offline Squad Goals

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • Your POV
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2017, 07:36:49 AM »
I'm surprised there's a Zeppelin vs. Sabbath debate. I figure most people with good taste dig the latter more, or at the least know they were more influential in metal.

But it is weird to see the amount of people who credit Led Zep as the 'creators of heavy metal' or similar titles that place them higher on the pedestal of metal than Sabbath.

Offline The Mole

• CXF Writer
  • AA484
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2017, 12:35:04 AM »
Ranking the classic Zep and Sabbath albums (nothing too adventurous here):

1. IV
2. Paranoid
3. Zeppelin debut
4. Zeppelin II
5. Master of Reality