Author Topic: A Game of Thrones: Season 4  (Read 29156 times)

Description: A FEAST FOR CROWS

Offline jerk of all trades

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
A Game of Thrones: Season 4
« on: June 26, 2013, 02:01:05 PM »
Let's start off the Season 4 thread with some news about returning cast from previous seasons.

Confirmed via WinterIsComing.net:

Kate Dickie is returning as Lysa Arryn (nee Tully), sister of Lady Catelyn Stark.

Dominic Carter is returning as Janos Slynt, former Lord Commander of the Gold Cloaks in King's Landing. In season 2, he was sent to the Wall by then Hand of the King Tyrion Lannister due to his role in the betrayal of former Hand Ned Stark.

Andy Beckwith is returning as Rorge, one of the two menacing criminals who shared a cage with Jaqen H'ghar before arriving at Harrenhal.

Owen Teale is returning as Ser Alliser Thorne, the master-at-arms of Castle Black and general nemesis to Jon Snow. Alliser was sent south to King's Landing by Lord Commander Mormont in season 2, to deliver the hand of a wight to King Joffrey with hopes to acquire reinforcements for the Night's Watch to fight this new undead menace.

Offline Lord of The Curry

Re: A Game of Thrones: Season 4
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2013, 02:48:47 PM »
Red Viper is the casting I'm waiting for.

Offline Youth N Asia

• 2016 & 2017 Death Pool Reaper
  • STRONG STYLE!
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2013, 03:32:25 PM »
Red Viper is the casting I'm waiting for.

James Purefoy was the immediate casting I did in my head when I was reading.

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2013, 02:49:45 AM »
James Purefoy would be amazing in any role on this show really. I actually kind of pictured him as Euron Crow's Eye.

Offline Jingus

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2013, 06:54:57 AM »
Too bad they couldn't make Rorge look like he's really supposed to.  The show does seem like it's a little bit squeamish when it comes to toning down all the books' many, many incidents of body mutilation.  Like, how "Tyrion gets half his goddamn face carved right off" gets softened down to "Tyrion gains a handsome scar". 

A question about spoilers, or "spoilers": does anyone count it as really spoiling anything for non-readers if you're just pointing out things in the show which didn't happen in the book?  I merely mentioned to a friend a couple of ways that the Red Wedding was even nastier in the show than in the book, and she got all pissed that I was supposedly spoiling the books when she hadn't read them.  Is something like "Robb's wife wasn't very important in the book, she wasn't at the wedding and was merely taken hostage and never shows up again" really ruining anything? 

(And then some of her friends jumped in claiming that the Wedding was so much BETTER in the book, and that the show changes SO much important stuff from the books, but that's just fucking stupid and I won't even bother dignifying their argument.) 

Offline The ghost of bps21

• Wade the Duck says: Your brush with Greatness is OVER!
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2013, 07:31:27 AM »
I have a friend who bitches all the time about what the show changes...and he keeps telling me to read the books.  I asked why I would want to stop enjoying the show like he has when I can read them after.  Then after the red wedding I went ahead and finished book 3...and was immediately annoyed in the season finale over the smallest insignificant change
Spoiler: show
Jamie already being back at kings landing

the lesson is...if you are enjoying the show and haven't read he books...dont read the books until the show passes them lol. 

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2013, 12:36:49 PM »
I just spoiler things that haven't happened yet in the show. I figure if someone cares about the earlier books being spoiled, then they probably shouldn't be watching the show.

Offline Damaramu

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2013, 12:02:08 AM »
I have a friend that watches the show but hates hearing about the book. So there's that.

I am reading the first book right now. So I noticed that Lysa Arryn is kind of skinny in the show but described as fat in the book...odd change.
I watched RAW. I thought it sucked. The usual problems and such.

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2013, 03:39:07 AM »
I think with her, her character trait is more about being unstable and a bit crazy. The weight thing can go either way with that. They did get a great actress for her, though.

Offline Mik

• Lightswitch Rave!
    • Neville Longbottom
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2013, 07:07:42 AM »
Show loose women what I'm workin' with.

Offline Edwin

• Smash and bang is my favorite combination
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2013, 09:17:20 AM »
He looks adequately swarthy.

Offline Youth N Asia

• STRONG STYLE!
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2013, 11:20:50 AM »
I was wondering if Janos was coming back if his role would have been absorbed into a different character like they've done throughout season three.

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2013, 01:26:39 PM »
Awesome!! Just going to add the summary/photo so we can have it here in the thread for reference.

"The Red Viper" Prince Oberyn Martell will be played by Chilean actor Pedro Pascal, who has previously had arcs on CBS’ The Good Wife, ABC’s Red Widow and USA’s Graceland. Oberyn is a brash, charming, cunning prince of Dorne (part of the Seven Kingdoms of Westeros). His sister Elia was brutally murdered by the Lannister knight Gregor “The Mountain” Clegane when Mad King Aerys was overthrown by Robert Baratheon and the Lannisters.

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2013, 03:23:42 PM »
WinterIsComing.net:

According to her agency page, young actress Octavia Alexandru has been cast in Game of Thrones. There is no mention of which role and none of her CVs have been updated as of yet. So for now, we can only speculate as to who she might be playing.

---

Also via WIC: Kerry Ingram confirmed on Twitter that she is returning for Season 4 in the role of Shireen Baratheon, greyscale-stricken daughter of King Stannis and Selyse Baratheon.

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2013, 03:25:42 PM »
Also, the show runners had an interview with Deadline and this came up:

And for us what is most enticing about this series is, if we’re lucky enough to get to the end, there will be 80 hours of screen time with a beginning, middle, and a real end. Not something that feels like 80 separate episodes…

80 hours would work out to 8 seasons which is contrary to what Producer Frank Doegler had said about 7 seasons. Make of that what you will.

http://www.deadline.com/2013/06/emmy-q-a-with-game-of-thrones-david-benioff-and-d-b-weiss/

Offline Youth N Asia

• STRONG STYLE!
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2013, 03:25:53 PM »
Maybe Princess Marcella pops back into the story.

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2013, 03:29:40 PM »
It could even just be a featured extra role. WIC likes to go overboard on the speculation. People are already claiming she will either be a certain someone from Braavos, or a certain someone from North of the Wall. They did the same thing when Ramsay's two torture babes were cast. Everyone was swearing to high heaven that they were going to be Dalla and Val. Noooope. Just torture hoes.

As far as Myrcella goes, I doubt they'd recast, to be honest (unless the actress legit wasn't available). It's kinda weird that the kid actors age in the show (contrary to their characters ages and the timelines that everything is supposed to follow), but it'd be even weirder, IMO, if they all aged but Myrcella hadn't.

Offline Youth N Asia

• STRONG STYLE!
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2013, 03:36:54 PM »
I doubt anyone even knows the actress that played her in the first place and would notice a recasting. Pretty minor role and barely gets notice until the Dornish story shows up.

Offline Edwin

« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2013, 12:13:38 AM »
Yeah, but she's already actually been in 9 episodes, had dialogue, etc.  Even though both she and Tommen were totally offscreen in season 3, I have to think they'll just bring the actors back when needed.  If they're bringing Thorne back after two seasons away, they'll bring back anybody they can get.

Offline The Dames

« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2013, 01:56:42 PM »
I'm curious to see who they will cast as Prince Doran Martell and Arianne Martell. Especially since she's supposed to be smoking hot.
Former owner of TSM, EWR 4.0 reviewer, King of the Andals and Protector of the Realm.

Offline Edwin

« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2013, 02:04:50 PM »
GRRM says that his dream casting for Arianne is Apollonia in Purple Rain, which is hilarious and amazing.

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2013, 02:21:38 PM »
20 years ago maybe..

Offline Edwin

« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2013, 02:28:38 PM »
That's exactly it.   His perfect casting is her as she looked/acted in 1984. 

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2013, 02:32:11 PM »
20 30 years ago maybe..
Is what I meant to say! lol

Offline Guns N' BOses

• GunsNMoses
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2013, 08:33:09 PM »
So long as they get the nipples right, he'll be happy.

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2013, 07:33:48 AM »
http://fashionablygeek.com/costumes/ezio-of-assassins-creed-stabs-peter-dinklage-in-the-throat-cosplay/

Celebrity photo ops are a gamble. You shell out a not-insignificant amount of money and just hope that your idols are nice instead of being complete tools. Peter Dinklage showed fans he’s made of awesome at a recent convention. Reddit user AndyValentine was dressed as Ezio from Assassin’s Creed, and Dinklage had no issue with messing around and posing for this fantastic shot. Valentine said he was lighthearted with all the folks in line which warms my heart. Who says Lannisters can’t be cool? - See more at: http://fashionablygeek.com/costumes/ezio-of-assassins-creed-stabs-peter-dinklage-in-the-throat-cosplay/#sthash.W8YRoFO1.dpuf

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2013, 08:45:14 AM »
Tony Way is back as Ser Dontos "The Red" Hollard.

Debuting in season 2, Ser Dontos arrived drunk to King Joffrey's name day tournament. Joff was about to have him drowned with wine, but Sansa convinced him to let him be the new court Fool. Dontos was last seen in episode 9 of season 2 during the Battle of Blackwater, entertaining the children and ladies taking refuge in Maegor's Holdfast.

Offline Jingus

« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2013, 09:28:08 PM »
Uh.  Without spoiling anything, let's just say that I assumed that guy's part would be cut out of the show altogether, or merged into someone else.  He's kinda important by this point in the books, and it's weird that they've done so little to set up his role. 

Offline Youth N Asia

• STRONG STYLE!
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2013, 09:34:34 PM »
Uh.  Without spoiling anything, let's just say that I assumed that guy's part would be cut out of the show altogether, or merged into someone else.  He's kinda important by this point in the books, and it's weird that they've done so little to set up his role.

Yeah. He's been skipped for his storyline so far... Why bring him back now?

Offline Jingus

« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2013, 09:40:36 PM »
How would you even remind the audience who the hell that guy is?  You'd literally need a flashback, all the way back to his 30-second part in the first episode of season 2, in order for audiences around the world to not furrow their brows in puzzlement at who this nobody is. 

Offline The Dames

« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2013, 10:17:09 PM »
All you need is a quick one or two lines of Ser Dontos saying "you saved me from the king, made me his fool on his nameday". Its not like they didn't pull the same thing with Barristan Selmy or Lord Beric. Both were gone for over a season and a half.
Former owner of TSM, EWR 4.0 reviewer, King of the Andals and Protector of the Realm.

Offline Youth N Asia

• STRONG STYLE!
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2013, 02:11:16 AM »
The more I think about it, the more sense it makes to bring him back. When you consider that
 he's only Littlefinger's patsy and it'll explain Sansa's didapearance
. He really didnt need two seasons to do his story. I'm good with him showing back up late.

Offline Lord of The Curry

« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2013, 05:31:49 AM »
I wonder sometimes that the reason for people questioning is because they haven't read the books. Because if you have you can definitely see why they'd bring Ser Dontos back.

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2013, 07:07:13 AM »
Like Dames says, all you need is a single line to remind people. Most people are are INTO the show will remember him, the others just need that refresher.

Offline Sideburnious

« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2013, 05:01:51 AM »
I wonder sometimes that the reason for people questioning is because they haven't read the books. Because if you have you can definitely see why they'd bring Ser Dontos back.

Except, they've pretty much already merged/ removed all of the Dontos/ Sansa scenes that would have probably played by now. I mean sure, they can cram them in for season 4, but they've already
foreshadowed Littlefinger taking her away
. Unless they just make Dontos a point of contact.

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2013, 05:50:47 AM »
I think that's what it's going to be SB.
Littlefinger is away wooing Lysa anyway so Dontos will have to fill in and then eventually meet his fate at the docks.

Online Kahran Ramsus

« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2013, 05:56:57 AM »
Like Dames says, all you need is a single line to remind people. Most people are are INTO the show will remember him, the others just need that refresher.

Walder Frey was in like one episode two seasons before he re-appeared for the Red Wedding and everybody remembered him.

Offline The Dames

« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2013, 06:00:52 AM »

Walder Frey was in like one episode two seasons before he re-appeared for the Red Wedding and everybody remembered him.

Agreed, however they did harp on the fact that Robb agreed to marry Frey's daughter repeatedly throughout season's 2 & 3.  Ser Dontos hasn't even been mentioned again since season 2.  One or two lines would suffice as a refresher though. 

Offline Jingus

« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2013, 10:39:36 PM »
Yeah.  They can't just have him show up without any explanation, they've gotta make SOME kind of reference to his too-little-too-early part.  This guy is a tiny unimportant character who helps do one hugely important thing, and it seems really strange that they completely forgot about him between then and now if they were gonna bring him back.  You could cut his part entirely out of the show and it wouldn't really affect the overall storyline. 

Offline The Dames

« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2013, 10:54:49 PM »
They did show him one other time in season 2, although he wasn't mentioned. He was entertaining the women while they were holed up during the battle of Blackwater.

In terms of Ser Dontos, his character is important because
he is the only one Sansa would believe would save/rescue her and gets her to flee. She didn't trust the Hound or Littlefinger directly, but she trusted the kind knight she knew was grateful to her for having him spared.   As an audience member, we even have reason to doubt Shae's intentions, but we wouldn't for Dontos.

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2013, 03:45:14 AM »
http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/07/17/game-of-thrones-sherlock/

Mark Gatiss will appear in the fourth season of HBO’s Thrones. The British writer-producer-actor has written Doctor Who novels and episodes of the BBC cult classic, as well as acted on the long-running series (since 2007, he’s credited to three different roles on IMDB). In addition, Gatiss is the co-creator and co-star of another Brit-based favorite, Sherlock, where he plays Holmes’ dryly mysterious brother Mycroft. Now he’s booked on HBO’s fantasy hit next year.

On Thrones he will play …

Well, that’s something we cannot reveal. The Thrones team is keeping Gatiss’ role quiet. Maybe showrunners David Benioff and Dan Weiss will say more at their Comic-Con panel on Friday?

Offline Conspiracy_Victim

• MY WHOLE BRAIN IS CRYING!
« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2013, 10:27:19 AM »
Mace Tyrell maybe? I don't know if he's physical enough to play someone like Oakheart (that was the white cloak who went with Myrcella to Dorne, right?).  Mace is small enough that he can finally start back on Sherlock.

Offline The Dames

« Reply #42 on: July 17, 2013, 10:56:10 AM »
Victarion Greyjoy?

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #43 on: July 17, 2013, 11:58:20 AM »
Isn't Mace pretty fat though? I wonder if they would make him a thinner character for the TV version? I was kind of looking forward to a more rotund Mace that Olenna would constantly jab at.

I was thinking maybe Bowen Marsh or Randyll Tarly.

Offline Spaceman Spiff 🚀

• Death Pool Winner
« Reply #44 on: July 18, 2013, 02:43:03 PM »

Offline Jingus

« Reply #45 on: July 18, 2013, 03:45:43 PM »
Awesome.  What was that, an extended version of one of the scenes?  I don't remember the whole thing being in the show.  It's like a three-minute clinic in mime acting, getting your entire character across without saying a word.  Especially loved how Tyrion deliberately dragged the chair so that it would make that annoying noise. 

Offline The Dames

« Reply #46 on: July 18, 2013, 08:53:28 PM »
It was clearly spliced together

Offline Jingus

« Reply #47 on: July 19, 2013, 12:41:32 AM »
Yeah, but they didn't really seem to be repeating much footage, or if they did it was pretty slickly done and I couldn't spot the zipper, as it were.  (Except for the jump cut when Tywin finally speaks.)

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #48 on: July 19, 2013, 02:37:31 AM »
It's easier to hear it with the repeating background sound they keep using. Pretty funny either way, though.

Offline Jingus

« Reply #49 on: July 19, 2013, 04:36:27 AM »
If that really is a fan edit, it's one of the greatest ones I've ever seen.  Hire that guy to work on the REAL show, pronto!