Author Topic: The WWECW Appreciation Thread  (Read 1022 times)

Description:

Online Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
The WWECW Appreciation Thread
« on: June 04, 2009, 07:47:43 AM »
As we approach the 3rd full year of WWE's ECW being on Sci-Fi coming to a close, I just wanted to point out, that despite being one of the people unsure of ECW's re-birth, at present time, ECW still tends to be my favorite brand in WWE.  Now, obviously it still is nowhere close to being equal to the red brand or the blue brand, but I just feel that it is the most well-rounded show out of all.  Here's a few reasons of appreciation:

I think ECW is the best brand of all at making everyone on their roster credible.  Now, obviously in inter-brand matches, much like the cross brand battle royal at the draft, they get stomped.  But in terms of credibility to the roster, look at say, Paul Burchill.  Essentially Burchill is a job guy on the brand.  Nine times out of ten when he is on TV, he is going to lose.  But despite being low on the totem pole on the "lowest brand", I feel he still has more credibility than some of the guys in the middle of the card on other brands.  For instance, Charlie Haas.  I like Haas, with the impersonation gimmick and now being re-united with Benjamin, he has been getting a relatively decent push for close to a year now.  He is a solid mid-carder.  I still find Burchill more credible in how they handle his character, and I chalk that up to the people in charge of ECW.  A better example may be Brian Kendrick.  Kendrick was essentially feuding with the tag team champions but spending more time battling off freaks and weirdos and midgets in a comedy role.  Higher up on the card, wins more matches, but Burchill still comes across as more of a threat.

I think with that it is no coincidence that guys coming from ECW have transformed into some of the more either popular or interesting acts in the company.  Look at the Miz.  He was doing nothing.  I rarely ever say I hate a wrestler, but I was rather apathetic toward him from his stint on Smackdown and then just hated the fact he got thrown in ECW and got to be around Extreme Expose.  But ECW took a guy that really seemed unwanted and not really going places and within months found a spot for him and Morrison.  That not only created one of the more entertaining acts in the past few years, but made Miz to the point where he is in a really good spot on the top brand.  The way he is getting booked on RAW now, I find myself saying something I never thought but I could see Miz in a main event position sometime in the next few years and not be surprised.  He's improved so much in every area and I think a lot of that has to do with his time in ECW.  Look at other guys around WWE.  The new guys or re-packaged guys that went through ECW (Kofi, Punk, Morrison, etc) are the ones that show the most promise.  Conversely, when they picked up Zack Ryder in the draft, I was expecting him and Hawkins to be endeavored.  Hawkins has made zero appearance (at least some of the guys like Jesse have been seen backstage) but the creative behind ECW actually has me considering Zack Ryder one of the acts I look forward to every week.

I could keep going on how Striker is my favorite commentator in pro wrestling these days, how Grisham really stepped up his game in his time there and how I think Matthews will really start to shine in his spot by years end.  There are several different things that just make me enjoy ECW more than the other brands.  I mean, Smackdown has been excellent since the draft also, but in terms of overall, well rounded show, I have to feel ECW still does the most on all levels.

Thoughts? Opinions?  Internet Threats?
[img width=800

Fan: WHY CAN REY BEAT BIG GUYS BUT NOT KIDMAN
Kevin Nash: Kidman wears a wife beater

Offline "Dot Com" Matt Postin (heel)

• Poster of the Year
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009, 08:16:29 AM »
Excellent points, especially about how good ECW is able to make people look. Kofi, Punk, Morrison, and Miz are some of my favorites right now, and they wouldn't be in their position if it weren't for ECW. Even now, there isn't one person on ECW that I don't want to see. Just off the top of my head, I'll review the roster. Hopefully it won't read like a bad Ross Report.

Christian-Everyone who complained when he redebuted on ECW obviously doesn't watch ECW because he's been reaping the awards of competent booking.
Jack Swagger-Best rookie to come along since Kurt Angle, if not longer. He'll be on top of SmackDown by next year. As an aside, the end sequence from his Superstars match with Finlay was epic. I've never seen anything like it in WWE.
Evan Bourne-After getting himself over on skills alone (this is true backstage too as he unlocked the Shooting Star Press from Vince's Secret Moves), I thought he'd get put on Raw in the draft. So good.
The Hart Dynasty-Intriguing angle. Coming out to the remixed music, using the Hart Attack, Natalya's boobies...they have a lot going for them. Seems like they're both good in the ring, too, especially Kidd. I think the time out of WWE will be helpful for Smith in the long term.
Mark Henry (with TONY ATLAS~!)-Something in Henry finally clicked and being ECW's resident monster marks the first time he's ever been used effectively after more than a decade.
The Koz-I like his squashes, so until they move him up on the card, I'll have nothing to complain about.
Zack Ryder-Come on, he's the shit.

If they ever get Zeke on TV, they'd probably be capable of making him into something.

Offline mw679

• Kicked In The Teeth
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 08:30:33 AM »
Zack Ryder-Come on, he's the shit.

Woo, Woo, Woo....You know it!

Yeah, ECW has been great for a while, I think at first they weren't quite sure what they wanted the show to be. It started as a very watered down original ECW concept with the extreme rules matches but they've really evolved into this cool, put-over-the-young-talent, type of program. Also a place where guys who weren't doing anything(Mark Henry, Finlay) on other brands suddenly have new life and actually get time to wrestle. I think that's the best part and what sets ECW apart from the other brands is, time wise they get an hour, so we get 2 really good, well thought out matches and usually one Kozlov squash. So, you get young guys showing the audience what they can do and that they can hang with the vets and we see a guy like Swagger on Raw have a pretty good match with Cena, although Swagger wasn't getting the victory, he showed he was perfectly capable of wrestling a big time match. As long as they continue this way, I'll continue to watch and be an ECW fan.

Offline Big Beard Booty Daddy

• My name's not fucking Warren
  • Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2009, 01:20:19 PM »
I've enjoyed a lot on ECW as of late. The Hart Dynasty is AWESOME!!! They actually get a response from the crowd. I hope their push continues. I'm still unsure about Ryder. I love his finisher and he's good in the ring. I don't mind that he's getting the "build by squashing" matches, but I'm not feeling his look. His catchphrase reminds me a little of The Miz's when he first came on tv. I don't dig the part pants, part shorts look right now. It's different and gets him to stand out though, so I guess that's a good thing.

Swagger is the future. I just think he needs a mouthpiece.
2012 TRTSM Fantasy Hockey Champion

Offline Chris G

• Silence
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2009, 02:07:31 PM »
I don't dig the part pants, part shorts look right now. It's different and gets him to stand out though, so I guess that's a good thing.

Old school Jimmy Jacobs must have inspired him.

Offline Black Lushus

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2009, 02:08:48 AM »
They could do a LOT with ECW if they really really tried.  Bring up Low-Ki from FCW.  Eventually sign Bryan Danielson or someone else of that caliber.  Get a few more guys on there and introduce a new lower tier title....of course, they need to bolster the main title more, but I'm thinking long term.

Offline Big Green

• The King of the Mountain
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2009, 03:40:11 AM »
They could do a LOT with ECW if they really really tried.  Bring up Low-Ki from FCW.  Eventually sign Bryan Danielson or someone else of that caliber.  Get a few more guys on there and introduce a new lower tier title....of course, they need to bolster the main title more, but I'm thinking long term.

It's only an hour long show though. It would probably be better to reintroduce the Cruiserweight Championship and have it defended across all 3 brands with it mainly being defended on ECW.

Offline Black Lushus

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2009, 06:34:12 AM »
Oh they'd have to extend the show...Hey it works on EWR!!!

Revive the TV title...give the matches 10 minute limits.

Offline pochorenella

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2009, 08:40:14 AM »
From way back I've felt that ECW was the best-booked brand on all WWE, and it continues to be, even if SmackDown! is tearing it up week after week since the Draft. For a 1 hour show it manages to give decent time for most workers to develop and for good feuds too. It isn't promo heavy (again, given the time constraints) and most weeks manages to deliver with a good to great match. It's also become the show to bring in the new "stars" so to speak, with the Hart Trilogy a fine example.

SmackDown! rules right now, but ECW has been rock solid IMO for quite some time now.
You Wanted The Best, You GOT THE  BEST! THE HOTTEST BAND IN THE WORLD!! KISS!!!!

Offline I Know You Like Sugar

• King Cucaracha
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2009, 09:22:25 AM »
I'm still unsure about Ryder. I love his finisher and he's good in the ring. I don't mind that he's getting the "build by squashing" matches, but I'm not feeling his look. His catchphrase reminds me a little of The Miz's when he first came on tv. I don't dig the part pants, part shorts look right now. It's different and gets him to stand out though, so I guess that's a good thing.

Yeah, there's a lot of things I like about Ryder, but the overall package hasn't come together yet. I want to like him more than I do. Kinda the way I initially felt about The Brian Kendrick. Honestly, I'm not a fan of the hair and the bandana. His music is kick-ass though and the fact he's adopted Crash Holly's "pondering" pose earns him many bonus points for me. I used to do that all the time, ever since Royal Rumble 2000.

For me, ECW's not been quite the same since Grisham got moved to Smackdown. Matthews and Striker just don't work, mostly because Matthews just doesn't talk. And the only interplay between them seems to be 'two guys who just don't really dig each other so much'.

Offline HTQ

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2009, 09:42:50 AM »
Christian vs. Tyson Kidd was quality. And Christian's bump off the DDT was fantastic.

Offline DCH

• The Every Night Delight
  • The Every Night Delight
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2009, 07:06:37 PM »
I watch Raw the most but honestly ECW is a very very entertaining show that I catch parts of. Unfortunately I don't watch much SD since I stopped las tyear but I'm trying to watch it again considering it is by far better than Raw. ECW is extremely solid, and although the Extreme idea is gone, it's a show where midcarders and young guns can Main Event and shine.