Author Topic: The next CM Punk?  (Read 4359 times)

Description:

Offline The Buzz

The next CM Punk?
« Reply #50 on: June 01, 2009, 05:44:06 AM »
Granted WWE thinks they can have between three and four main events on a show so the argument of him never main eventing a show isn't a good one. Regardless, Punk is an upper mid-carder who won the belt and had a few good matches with the belt even if it was booked poorly. Although he is obviously thought of as a future star since he's won two of three world titles, two money in the banks, the ic title, and one of the tag titles all in a short time.

I think Bryan Danielson if he ever signed with WWE could possibly do something similar, although his charisma is questionable at times.

Offline Chris G

• Silence
The next CM Punk?
« Reply #51 on: June 01, 2009, 06:54:08 AM »
I think Bryan Danielson if he ever signed with WWE could possibly do something similar, although his charisma is questionable at times.

"I have 'til 5" would catch on with the WWE crowd if they would let him still use it.

Offline foleyfanforever88

The next CM Punk?
« Reply #52 on: June 08, 2009, 12:16:29 AM »
Re: Punk's win at Extreme Rules

Big Green, just because Punk is World Champion now doesn't make him a main eventer. He took advantage of a weakened Hardy to win the title in a 30 second match. He wasn't advertised as being in the main event, and until he headlines a PPV, he's just an upper-midcard MITB winner who cashed in at the right time.

Offline Big Green

• The King of the Mountain
The next CM Punk?
« Reply #53 on: June 08, 2009, 12:17:36 AM »

Big Green, just because Punk is World Champion now doesn't make him a main eventer. He took advantage of a weakened Hardy to win the title in a 30 second match. He wasn't advertised as being in the main event, and until he headlines a PPV, he's just an upper-midcard MITB winner who cashed in at the right time.

He's a two-time World Heavyweight Champion. What more do we need?

He's a two-time WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION

Offline DerangedHermit

The next CM Punk?
« Reply #54 on: June 08, 2009, 12:57:59 AM »

He's a two-time World Heavyweight Champion. What more do we need?

He's a two-time WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION

And he's made more title defenses than Jeff Hardy with the belt too. Jeff Hardy is not a main eventer by foleyfanforever88's standards.

Offline Monsoon Classic

• Monsoon_Classic
    • My YouTube Channel with over 2,000 classic WWF & WCW videos
The next CM Punk?
« Reply #55 on: June 08, 2009, 01:06:35 AM »
If this was 1984, that argument would hold some merit but ultimately, Vince Russo got his way.  The belt is nothing more as a prop.  Nothing more.  When CM Punk is advertised to main event a ppv as well as being the flag bearer for the show, he will then be a true main eventer.  Granted, SD really doesn't have a true flagship guy right now and that's probably part of what makes the show exciting since anyone in the upper tier can conceivably defeat anyone.  This COULD be Punk's chance to shine but we'll see.

If Batista, Randy Orton, Undertaker, or HHH truly does a clean job via the G2S to Punk, I'd be MORE than willing to say Punk is an elite main eventer.
Check out my YouTube page for over 2,000 classic WWF & WCW videos:
https://www.youtube.com/user/MrMonsoonClassic/videos

Offline I Know You Like Sugar

• King Cucaracha
The next CM Punk?
« Reply #56 on: June 08, 2009, 02:03:00 AM »
Here's a question. WHO FUCKING CARES!?

I'm getting tired of this goddamn arguement. Whether Punk's a 'genuine main eventer' or not is down to personal opinion as this thread has so agonisingly proved. End of.

But really, even if he is 'just an upper midcard guy', is that really that bad? It took Edge roughly eight years hard work to become a main eventer. Hardy, roughly the same with maybe more work. Jericho was probably closer to ten years all around the world. Punk's been around for about three years now and done pretty well. He's accomplished more in those three years than any of those guys I mentioned. Is he really THAT bad off because he's not considered equal to The Undertaker? Is he really THAT far behind where he, quote, 'should be' in the company?

Offline Zeddemore

• Groovy
The next CM Punk?
« Reply #57 on: June 08, 2009, 02:32:45 AM »
If Batista, Randy Orton, Undertaker, or HHH truly does a clean job via the G2S to Punk, I'd be MORE than willing to say Punk is an elite main eventer.

These people barely job clean to each other, let alone anyone else.

Offline Adam

• The Franchise
The next CM Punk?
« Reply #58 on: June 08, 2009, 02:33:39 AM »
Punk will certainly be hindered if he goes and loses the title within two months.

Offline Big Green

• The King of the Mountain
The next CM Punk?
« Reply #59 on: June 08, 2009, 05:26:20 AM »
I just get annoyed by people here continuously refusing to acknowledge that CM Punk actually IS a big deal in the wrestling world. It seems like they can't grasp that that guy they saw wrestle in front of 50 people at an IWA:MS show 7 years ago is actually a big deal in the wrestling world.

People seem to have this weird complex about Punk where nothing that he does is ever good enough.

Offline Monsoon Classic

• Monsoon_Classic
The next CM Punk?
« Reply #60 on: June 08, 2009, 06:04:48 AM »
Is CM Punk a big deal in WWE - Yes
Is CM Punk a top guy in WWE - No

This has more to do w/ how far WWE is willing to go w/ him, than CM Punk himself.

Offline Adam

• The Franchise
The next CM Punk?
« Reply #61 on: June 08, 2009, 06:04:59 AM »
I just get annoyed by people here continuously refusing to acknowledge that CM Punk actually IS a big deal in the wrestling world. It seems like they can't grasp that that guy they saw wrestle in front of 50 people at an IWA:MS show 7 years ago is actually a big deal in the wrestling world.

People seem to have this weird complex about Punk where nothing that he does is ever good enough.

What he said.

Offline Monsoon Classic

• Monsoon_Classic
The next CM Punk?
« Reply #62 on: June 08, 2009, 06:15:16 AM »
Didn't most of these guys start out wrestling in front of 50 people?

• King Cucaracha
The next CM Punk?
« Reply #63 on: June 08, 2009, 06:21:19 AM »
Those guys never had a *****~! match with Samoa Joe, damnit!

P.S john cena n botchtista sux sXe 4 life subscribe to my channel plz lolz!

Offline samoarowe

• samoarowe
    • Da Wrestling Site
The next CM Punk?
« Reply #64 on: June 08, 2009, 06:24:34 AM »
Punk will certainly be hindered if he goes and loses the title within two months.

Not really, a two month title reign is pretty good by the standards of the last year. Title changes are increasing, a short title reign isn't exactly a sign of disapproval like it once was.

The next CM Punk?
« Reply #65 on: June 08, 2009, 06:26:25 AM »
It's already been said (many times) but I'll say it again because Big Green doesn't seem to get it.

World Champion =/= Main Eventer.

It's unfortunate, because they should be equivalent, but these days they simply aren't.

I never saw any of Punk until he was in WWE, and he's one of my 5 favorite guys right now. I'd love for him to be on top of the company. But 82 percent of the phrase "main eventer" is "main event" and Punk HAS NOT BEEN IN ONE.

You ask "WHAT MORE DOES HE NEED TO DO?!??" and that's the answer. Headline a Pay Per View. That's it.

And DH, I do consider Jeff Hardy a main eventer. If you noticed, he was in the MAIN EVENT last night. And it wasn't his first time either.

Offline HTQ

The next CM Punk?
« Reply #66 on: June 08, 2009, 06:27:51 AM »
Those guys never had a *****~! match with Samoa Joe, damnit!

P.S john cena n botchtista sux sXe 4 life subscribe to my channel plz lolz!
Here's a question. WHO FUCKING CARES!?

I'm getting tired of this goddamn arguement.
Then why don't you take your tired anti-'smark' shtick and fuck off?

• King Cucaracha
The next CM Punk?
« Reply #67 on: June 08, 2009, 06:34:10 AM »
Quite clearly, serious business is still occuring. My bad. Let me know when it's died down, or someone's replied to my actual serious question earlier asking why Punk not being at the very top tier of the WWE is such a big deal to people at this point in his career instead of glossing over it to argue semantics some more. Either or. Thanks!

Offline Wrestlemania/Limp Bizkit WINNER

• Kreese
The next CM Punk?
« Reply #68 on: June 08, 2009, 06:45:56 AM »
The next CM Punk?  I don't even like the first one!

• King Cucaracha
The next CM Punk?
« Reply #69 on: June 08, 2009, 06:53:22 AM »
FWIW, I don't see how being sick of CM Punk's every move being analysed with a fine tooth comb and not taking wrestling so seriously all the goddamn time consitutes being "anti-'smark'", but w/e, I guess that's the reaction you get when you rattle the hornet's nest by trying to lighten the mood.

68 replies in this thread and 6 of them answered the question Big Green actually asked. So I'm sorry for derailing things at post 63 everybody!

Offline Monsoon Classic

• Monsoon_Classic
The next CM Punk?
« Reply #70 on: June 08, 2009, 06:55:56 AM »
Don't let it happen again.

As for your serious question, it's just a topic of discussion.  Does anything in pro wrestling really matter?

Offline HTQ

The next CM Punk?
« Reply #71 on: June 08, 2009, 06:56:57 AM »
Quite clearly, serious business is still occuring. My bad. Let me know when it's died down, or someone's replied to my actual serious question earlier asking why Punk not being at the very top tier of the WWE is such a big deal to people at this point in his career instead of glossing over it to argue semantics some more. Either or. Thanks!
We get your deal, OK? You're too cool for the 'smarks' and you like let us know just how you're above things you think matter to them. We've got all that. But taking most every chance you get to knock 'smarts' or 'smarks' or whatever label you want to give them has grown old and boring.

Offline wnyxmcneal

The next CM Punk?
« Reply #72 on: June 08, 2009, 07:01:59 AM »
King Cucaracha is awesome, don't hate, and is also right.

The MITB stuff was awesome last night, we legit freaked out when Hardy got the small package

Offline Obi Chris Kenobi

• Citizen 128
  • Personal Text goes here, Venkman
    • legitshook
The next CM Punk?
« Reply #73 on: June 08, 2009, 07:18:16 AM »
Ever since he changed his picture to Mike Adamle, he's just been getting serious heel heat on the boards :(

• King Cucaracha
The next CM Punk?
« Reply #74 on: June 08, 2009, 07:22:52 AM »
Don't let it happen again.

As for your serious question, it's just a topic of discussion.  Does anything in pro wrestling really matter?

Well, no. It's just if people are arguing this strongly about one person's opinion, the question is does that mean they're unhappy with Punk's standing? The arguement so far is "Punk's a big deal in WWE", countered with "but he's not a main eventer!" Nobody's really argued why he should be or if he should be, they just seem to want to make it clear he's not a main eventer for some reason. We've covered that. Do we need to cover it again and again, that's all that gets me. It got bumped JUST to say "oh, he's still not a main eventer!" Which annoyed me. Especially when the thread wasn't even about that in the first place. If that's wrong, I apologise.

But clearly HTQ has me sussed and I hate all internet fans so vehemently that I'm here on the internet discussing wrestling with internet fans. And he's sussed this out because I'm not outraged about CM Punk and... that's about it. Oh, yeah, I once made a joke about something Lance Storm said too, I remember him being unsurprisingly outraged at that at the time. Whatever. Just because someone doesn't share your point of view, they aren't your 'enemy' and 'hate you'. Lighten up, man.

I believe CM Punk is pretty well placed in the company, considering. If anyone disagrees, maybe they'd like to discuss that?

Or we could answer Big Green's actual question maybe?

Offline HSJ

• misogynist at heart
The next CM Punk?
« Reply #75 on: June 08, 2009, 07:23:38 AM »
When you guys say he needs to main event, do you mean an actual PPV or be the top match for his brand?

DTF

The next CM Punk?
« Reply #76 on: June 08, 2009, 07:29:27 AM »
When you guys say he needs to main event, do you mean an actual PPV or be the top match for his brand?

I mean an actual PPV. As in his match goes on last.

Offline Zeddemore

• Groovy
The next CM Punk?
« Reply #77 on: June 08, 2009, 07:47:08 AM »
My bad - the next CM Punk... I can see Jay Lethal doing it, actually. He's demonstrated charisma and timing with the Randy Savage homage, he can go in the ring when need be, and he's young enough that there's longevity there.

Course, I thought the same of Petey Williams.