Author Topic: WWE Extreme Rules - June 7 2009  (Read 5586 times)

Description:

Online Hawk 34

• Death Pool Winner
WWE Extreme Rules - June 7 2009
« Reply #50 on: June 07, 2009, 01:05:51 PM »
I'm hoping the title change plays into Batista's apparent injury; Orton demands his rematch tomorrow night, gets it, and in winning the belt back lays Batista out so he can take time off. Otherwise, the title change makes no sense. Batista didn't need to win the belt to get his revenge and Orton shouldn't be doing a short-term title change deal.

Perhaps they'll use this as a chance to put the title on Cena? Give TBS a brief reign and let Cena win a blowoff match for the title?

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #51 on: June 07, 2009, 01:07:50 PM »
I'm hoping the title change plays into Batista's apparent injury; Orton demands his rematch tomorrow night, gets it, and in winning the belt back lays Batista out so he can take time off. Otherwise, the title change makes no sense. Batista didn't need to win the belt to get his revenge and Orton shouldn't be doing a short-term title change deal.

While I agree, Batista's last title reign was what, one week?  Two weeks?  I don't think they want to weaken him anymore than he already is, which is why I think he even won.  I don't know about the injury but when I saw he won, my first thought was they were either building for him to drop it HHH in HHH's return as people were thinking after Backlash or even have Batista/Cena II for the belt at Summerslam.

I feel bad for Orton.  He is on a roll but his title reign was a two month reign with a belt he got in a 6 man tag.  Here's to hoping he gets a better reign soon.
[img width=800

Fan: WHY CAN REY BEAT BIG GUYS BUT NOT KIDMAN
Kevin Nash: Kidman wears a wife beater

Offline Box

« Reply #52 on: June 07, 2009, 01:12:50 PM »
Bring on HHH vs. Batista 2 at Vengence?

I mean, it does come full circle that HHH gets his title shot, since Batista cost him the title.

Offline Marie I

• FLAM
« Reply #53 on: June 07, 2009, 01:16:13 PM »
So happy Dreamer won. Holy shit. I have to watch that match.

Offline HTQ

« Reply #54 on: June 07, 2009, 01:26:42 PM »
If Hardy is leaving, for however long, I can see a title change here with Edge winning a Loser Leaves Town rematch.

Offline zio

• Bleed Philly
« Reply #55 on: June 07, 2009, 01:33:18 PM »
With Batista having a torn bicep, he won't be holding the belt for long, much less a HHH program.

Offline zio

• Bleed Philly
« Reply #56 on: June 07, 2009, 01:34:22 PM »
Bring on HHH vs. Batista 2 at Vengence?

I mean, it does come full circle that HHH gets his title shot, since Batista cost him the title.

Vengeance RIP since two years ago, btw.

Offline fazzle

« Reply #57 on: June 07, 2009, 01:56:51 PM »
Goddamn.   I just marked out there the hardest in a long time

Offline AntiLeaf33

« Reply #58 on: June 07, 2009, 01:57:37 PM »
Hardy wins the title and then Punk cashes in MITB and wins the title himself. Crowd seems a little stunned by what happened. Maybe they are turning Punk heel?

Offline El Psycho Diablo

« Reply #59 on: June 07, 2009, 01:58:09 PM »
Wow, that just killed my enjoyment of the PPV.

Offline The ghost of bps21

• Wade the Duck says: Your brush with Greatness is OVER!
« Reply #60 on: June 07, 2009, 01:58:57 PM »
The Hot Potato Title changes continue.  Edge now has 9 unmemorable runs.  Hardy has 2.  And Punk starts his 2nd.

Woo!!!

Offline Psycho Penguin

• Mitch Richmond > Michael Jordan
    • Twitter
« Reply #61 on: June 07, 2009, 01:59:33 PM »
Holy shit, when's the last time four "world" title changes happened on one PPV?

Offline Monsoon Classic

• Monsoon_Classic
    • My YouTube Channel with over 2,000 classic WWF & WCW videos
« Reply #62 on: June 07, 2009, 02:00:07 PM »
I interpreted it as the start of a CM Punk heel turn.  He sure seemed oblivious to the fans' apathy and I'm sure WWE wanted it that way.
Check out my YouTube page for over 2,000 classic WWF & WCW videos:
https://www.youtube.com/user/MrMonsoonClassic/videos

« Reply #63 on: June 07, 2009, 02:05:58 PM »
Kofi should be thanking someone that he managed to get out of this show with his title.  Even people who won titles today lost them.

Offline Box

« Reply #64 on: June 07, 2009, 02:10:09 PM »
HEEL PUNK!

Finally!

So we got Edge, Jericho, Punk as the main heels. Love it on Smackdown.

Offline samoarowe

• samoarowe
« Reply #65 on: June 07, 2009, 02:12:05 PM »
The Hot Potato Title changes continue.  Edge now has 9 unmemorable runs.  Hardy has 2.  And Punk starts his 2nd.

Woo!!!

I figure this is just them playing into the attention spans of their newfound young audience. The kids watching this aren't going to be upset that the title reigns are so short and seemingly pointless, only older fans who can remember a time when the belts meant something are going to be upset.

« Reply #66 on: June 07, 2009, 02:14:37 PM »
It doesn't upset me that the title reigns are so short...I just find it fascinating how often they're changing these belts.

Offline Cool, Bad, & Handsome

• KOAB
« Reply #67 on: June 07, 2009, 02:15:50 PM »
you guys don't get the whole anything goes feeling their trying to restore?

Matt Young

« Reply #68 on: June 07, 2009, 02:19:32 PM »
That was a crazy PPV.  I didn't post during it, because I actually got to watch on TV in HD.  My friend who rarely watches wrestling these days wanted to see it, and he paid for it.

The show was pretty enjoyable overall, but what was with all the title changes?  5 title changes, 6 if you count Miss WrestleMania.  Kofi's the only champion who kept his title.

The only things that really pissed me off were Batista winning the title, and Edge losing.  I'd normally be fine with Hardy or Punk as champ, but Edge never keeps the belt for more than 6 weeks.  Plus the world title has changed hands 11 times in the past year.  That's WCW 2000 territory.  The WWE title hasn't been much better, changing hands 6 times in the past 6 and 1/2 months.

They changed all 3 world titles, 2 months after doing that for the first time at backlash.  Orton, Edge, and Christian all deserved long title reigns.  They got a month and a half.

But like I said, most matches were good, and I like Punk and Jericho as champions (even if Jericho is above the IC title).  Happy I saw it in HD.

« Reply #69 on: June 07, 2009, 02:21:01 PM »
It's not over yet either...  Batista's not holding that belt for long.  I wouldn't be surprised to see it bounce back to Orton tomorrow.

Offline Box

« Reply #70 on: June 07, 2009, 02:26:43 PM »
So if Punk cuts that straight edge style promo on Hardy, shit, we got the drug man s. the straightedge.

Now, this is getting good.

Maybe a ladder match at Summerslam?

Offline ChrisMWaters

• Riding the waves of Insanity
    • Watersfall Industries
« Reply #71 on: June 07, 2009, 02:28:00 PM »
Was I the only one that was hoping that, after Hardy kicked out of the Go To Sleep, Punk would bust out the Anaconda Vice to get Hardy to tap out?

CURRENT EPISODE: Watercolors #7: Hulk Hogan's Rock 'n' Wrestling
"You're only given a little spark of madness.  And if you lose that, you're nothing."
Robin Williams
HBO Special

Offline zio

• Bleed Philly
« Reply #72 on: June 07, 2009, 02:36:40 PM »
Crazy happenings in WWE land.  One thing is for sure, the PPV's from the middle of last year to this year have made TNA's look really bad.  Leave it to me to bring up TNA in a WWE PPV thread, but that was the first thought to come to my mind.

Offline RedJed

• Rasslin' Rambler
« Reply #73 on: June 07, 2009, 02:44:03 PM »
Much better show that I thought it would be, to say the least. I ended up checking it out at a local sportsbar and the crowd was super into most of the show, but people were bitching all over the place about how slow Cena/Show was, and how ridiculous that finish was too, how it made no sense because if a guy's leg is caught up in the rope, that doesn't mean you can try to make the guy submit, if anything it should have forced the hold to be broken, or did I miss the stip of supposedly no dq? Plus to go with it, Show's boot actually WASNT hanging in the rope most of the time, but they made sure to cover that up with the cameras.

Other than that match and the short nonsense of Vicki and Chavo, this was a pretty solid show though. Batista/Orton was strange however, and by cage match standards not very good at all. But at least it was quick. And by how simple and straight forward, almost nonchalant that the cage match was, it explains how Batista is working through an injury. But if he's having surgery this week, why then give him the belt, only for him having to job it out likely tomorrow? Doesn't really help anyone out. I dont get this booking desicion whatsoever, but will give it a chance until tomorrow night to see where they go with it.

Jericho/Rey and Hardy/Edge were both really damn good matches, and the Punk thing at the end literally caught me off guard, although clued in a bit by wondering why Jim Ross is in the ring, thinking smokescreen for something else to happen. It was funny seeing people already leaving the bar right as they were cutting to a replay of Hardy winning the title, and then stopping in midwalk when Punk's music came on. Pretty much everyone watching it was surprised. If the idea wasn't to turn Punk heel there, I think it would be a great idea for them to consider given how the reaction was for him cashing in his shot there against Hardy. That could be a great program in itself actually, Hardy/Punk. And the storyline with Jericho/Rey is some of the best stuff by far the company is doing lately. Really simple yet compelling storytelling there.

And I definately admit marking a bit out over the Dreamer win. I guess since it was too obvious this was setting up to be his last match (and still might be) they thought to go with the unexpected for once with him, Dreamer FINALLY getting a title win, lasting longer than just literally minutes later losing it as he did back almost ten years ago (ironically what they did later in the night with Hardy then). I'm betting he is going to retire as champion and they will get a tournament going on ECW for the belt (building to the finals at the next ppv) but then again, I'd be all for Dreamer to actually hold the belt for a few months or so, and say he will retire when someone finally beats him, probably Swagger or someone.

Damn, WWE is on a good streak of pay per views, none this year have really been bad or even just ok, everyone of them have been solid and/or well worth throwing down on.

Offline foleyfanforever88

« Reply #74 on: June 07, 2009, 02:54:58 PM »
What a garbage show that was. I knew when my friends convinced me to order it that I was making a mistake. I'll post my full thoughts in a little while, but man..that sucked.

Offline Box

« Reply #75 on: June 07, 2009, 02:56:23 PM »
It's funny, around this time last year too, starting with Punk cashing in on Edge, it seems each time he cashes, the whole company moves in a fresh direction. I hope this continues.

Also, a torn triceps, how long does that equal for Batista? Is that a 1-2 months or 2-4 or longer?

Offline DCH

• The Every Night Delight
« Reply #76 on: June 07, 2009, 03:22:18 PM »
I don't think he'll be back till Survivor Series the way it looks.

Offline Box

« Reply #77 on: June 07, 2009, 03:32:13 PM »
If that's the case, boy, I guess he fucked himself coming back so soon.

Offline Nymyzys

• TRTSM's Color Commentator
« Reply #78 on: June 07, 2009, 03:32:49 PM »
So, Big Dave is gonna get punted............again, so that he can get surgery and miss several months of action......AGAIN!  Christ, maybe it's time for him to hang it up.  I have a soft spot for Batista, but the man is just as injury prone as Mr. Kennedy.

On Tommy Dreamer becoming ECW Champion.  Honestly, it couldn't have happened to a better guy.  I'm half-expecting him to announce his retirement on ECW this Tuesday.  Kind of like he finally proved to himself that he still had it, and he's going to leave on top.  The pics on WWE.com don't do the moment justice.  He looks genuinely happy.  Anyone have a link to a video?

Offline The Real DXP

• daileyxplanet
    • TrevorTwitter
« Reply #79 on: June 07, 2009, 03:46:22 PM »
Hooray for Punk as World Champion again. I hope this equals at least one match between Hardy and Punk on SD!

Offline strummer

« Reply #80 on: June 07, 2009, 04:34:56 PM »
So I take it Meltz didn't much care for the submission match?

I've been digging Big Show lately so I want to see if the match was *that* bad.

Punk heel turn? Well he may finally be interesting for the first time in a while

Orton wins it back from batista tomorrow after ahem someone returns

« Reply #81 on: June 07, 2009, 04:43:11 PM »

I don't think he's watched it yet...I think he wrote that he was going to the WEC show tonight.  Bryan Alvarez was writing the update.

Offline strummer

« Reply #82 on: June 07, 2009, 04:50:56 PM »

I don't think he's watched it yet...I think he wrote that he was going to the WEC show tonight.  Bryan Alvarez was writing the update.

Just noticed. Yeah.  HAh DVDVR getting on Alvarez for his review of the show

Offline DCH

« Reply #83 on: June 07, 2009, 04:53:49 PM »
I hope they put Punk on the mic, as he's absolutely brilliant on it.

Matt Young

« Reply #84 on: June 07, 2009, 05:09:33 PM »
if a guy's leg is caught up in the rope, that doesn't mean you can try to make the guy submit, if anything it should have forced the hold to be broken, or did I miss the stip of supposedly no dq?

All the match tonight were no DQ.  Hence the name "Extreme Rules".  Submission matches have traditionally been no DQ since submission is the only way to achieve victory. ame for the 4 way US title match.  No DQs in 3-4 way matches (unless they're elimination).

« Reply #85 on: June 07, 2009, 05:12:41 PM »
Anytime I watch a submission or I quit match and the ref breaks a hold or starts the 5 count because someone is in the ropes I get annoyed.

If the only way to win is to make someone else quit...what the fuck is the ref going to do if you don't break the hold?  DQ you?

Stupid.  Every time.  Stupid.

Offline Venkman

• Dr Venkman PhD
  • You don't know me and you don't have to know me
« Reply #86 on: June 07, 2009, 05:20:34 PM »
I was planning on using Show/Cena as a good place for a 20 minute nap before work (since I was recording the show and could watch it back if it warranted it) but I decided I wouldn't bother and just watch it. This was quite dangerous as this meant I never set my alarm to wake me up at 10:30... and I did fall asleep. I woke up right at the end of match spot though. That said, Alvarez's thoughts on the match seem to largely reflect it being dull AND it cutting into the amount of time allotted for the ladder match under the assumption the show was going dark at 10:45 pm.

So, thoughts:

- Though unquestionably sloppy in spots, I enjoyed the four way opener. When they were clicking, it was fun stuff and Kofi continues to impress.

- I didn't like that Rey/Jericho was going on second since it's one of the reasons I decided to get the show, but what can you do. A really good match with some neat 619-based spots (both in different executions of the move and different counters by Jericho). Bryan's report lists the ending as "perfect" which I think is overlooking the fact that Jericho was clocked in the head with a steel chair about 3 seconds prior to him devising the 619 mask theft reversal plan, but yeah, if you look past that or use some sort of 'adrenaline' excuse, awesome finish.

- Punk vs. Umaga: It was pretty funny that, at least at first, the score graphic was a total failure. Thankfully they got it working because it seemed really minor league at first. I had no real problem with this match - it wasn't very exciting but wasn't bad, and I thought the ending was good. It also made me think that Punk might cash in MITB - this gave him two clean finishing move wins over the formerly unbeatable Umaga in two days AND this match didn't present itself as taking any large toll on Punk. Unless he was going to be portrayed as an idiot, the ladder match seemed like a great place for him to pick up a title.

- ECW Title Match: I was happy to hear the crowd react to Tommy winning the title but the match seemed to suffer from limited heat as it was happening. Still fun though, and we're at a total thumbs up show right now. Unfortunately the format of the show means all of this is about to be followed by the 3 promoted Raw matches I had no interest in - all in a row.

- Santina vs. Vickie: Actually not as bad as I thought it would be, but I was expecting something totally awful and this only barely improved on that. The less said the better.

- Batista vs. Orton: Good! I didn't like Dave winning (but of course he had to, unless his gimmick is supposed to be "PPV Choker") but by keeping it short, it was straight action and not dull.

- Show vs. Cena: See above.

- Edge vs. Jeff: I wasn't really wowed by this but it was still a good match with some good spots. Going back to Punk, I spent portions of the match (specifically where both Jeff and Edge would be laying around) thinking, "If this was real, CM Punk should just come out here and climb up the ladder" but I suppose the in-universe rules of the MITB contract only allow you to make a new match, not add yourself to a previously signed one.

- Punk vs. Jeff: As logical as it was for Punk to come out, I was still surprised they pulled the trigger, and even more so that he won. When he hit the first GTS without some sort of wacky counter, I thought wow, Punk wins again... but then Jeff kicked out. I thought FOR SURE the 'possum pin' small package was going to do Punk in and finally put an end to the MITB case always resulting in a title win, but that was yet another tease. It may have been a short match with only 3 moves, but wow, a lot of drama in just the first two.

The ladder match and Punk title win saved the show from falling of the cliff when the Raw matches started.

Offline DCH

« Reply #87 on: June 07, 2009, 06:47:41 PM »
The kickout from the first GTS and the small package had me going apeshit as I was marking for Punk cashing in.

Offline Big Green

• The King of the Mountain
« Reply #88 on: June 07, 2009, 07:02:44 PM »
So, can we resurrect my "The Next Punk?" thread?

I mean, the man is World Champion so we can settle the whole "Is he a main eventer?" debate.

Offline oldskool

• DO IT with your female best friend ROCKAPELLA
  • CXF Writer
  • oldskool
« Reply #89 on: June 07, 2009, 10:03:22 PM »
Show/Cena was totally pointless; I skipped over most of the damn thing because I knew Cena was going to win, I was just curious as to how he was going to do it.

Another win for the Crippler Crossface, though, as Show's foot fell out of the ropes immediately and that's what his modified STF broke down into.

I'm curious as to where Punk, Edge & those crazy Marellas go from here. Does Edge lose his rematch clause since the guy that beat him no longer has the championship? Is tomorrow night Santina's retirement party? Does Vickie have an emotional breakdown and become psychotic?

Offline Sabre

« Reply #90 on: June 07, 2009, 10:32:11 PM »
I think Vince has once again hit the "throw shit at the wall and see what sticks" method of booking.

Offline Chris G

• Silence
« Reply #91 on: June 07, 2009, 11:16:21 PM »
Does Vickie have an emotional breakdown and become psychotic?

Does Vickie finally get off TV so we won't have to see her bad acting anymore?

• KOAB
« Reply #92 on: June 07, 2009, 11:19:40 PM »

I don't think he's watched it yet...I think he wrote that he was going to the WEC show tonight.  Bryan Alvarez was writing the update.

Just noticed. Yeah.  HAh DVDVR getting on Alvarez for his review of the show

I don't know what's up with everyone over there thinking Edge turns face while Punk turns heel. I just can't see the Edge face turn.

Offline Adam

• The Franchise
« Reply #93 on: June 07, 2009, 11:58:21 PM »
I don't agree with the general feeling that Punk has/is turning heel. He just won the title the way he did last time, but this time against a popular face. The fans WANTED Hardy to win the title, so obviously they're gonna be, well, not so happy, if Punk just comes out and wins it.

I'm sure on SmackDown! we'll get a promo from Punk expressing that he's still a face.

Offline foleyfanforever88

« Reply #94 on: June 08, 2009, 12:13:15 AM »
So, can we resurrect my "The Next Punk?" thread?

I mean, the man is World Champion so we can settle the whole "Is he a main eventer?" debate.

This isn't the place to continue that argument..but I still wouldn't consider Punk a main eventer.

Offline I Know You Like Sugar

• King Cucaracha
« Reply #95 on: June 08, 2009, 12:34:47 AM »
Jericho/Mysterio was an excellent match. I wouldn't class myself as a huge fan of either but that was top-notch. The ending couldn't have been much more perfectly executed.

On the other hand, Cena/Show was so boring I had to hit the fast forward on it. And I love how the ingenius ending they've spent a month building up was a side headlock with a convenient camera angle to hide how it went wrong.

Overall I think, like last year, it turned out to be a pleasant surprise of a show. Show/Cena was bad, Batista/Orton was decent at best. Depending on your thoughts on the strap match (I liked it) and the hog pen match (could have been worse, also could have lost the 15 minutes of post-match reaction shots), the rest was worthwhile. The fourway was good mainly thanks to Kofi, Jericho/Rey was excellent, the ECW three-way was really good, the ladder match was always going to struggle to live up to the hype but still delivered in the end, even with the strangely flimsy ladders, which explains why there were about 30 of them. I guess they had to be that way to do the bump through the one ladder, which was super scary the way Jeff landed. And Punk absolutely sold the ending. Heel turn should be fun, although with Edge #1 and Jericho #2, I fear the ammunition it's going to give the "HE'S NOT A MAIN EVENTER, WAAAH!" brigade as #3 heel World Champion.

Quote from: DrVenkmanPhD
Punk vs. Umaga: It was pretty funny that, at least at first, the score graphic was a total failure.

Yeah, good job they fixed it when they did. The first part of the match it was all I could pay attention to.

• KOAB
« Reply #96 on: June 08, 2009, 02:06:11 AM »

Offline Tino Standard

« Reply #97 on: June 08, 2009, 02:10:45 AM »
Anytime I watch a submission or I quit match and the ref breaks a hold or starts the 5 count because someone is in the ropes I get annoyed.

If the only way to win is to make someone else quit...what the fuck is the ref going to do if you don't break the hold?  DQ you?

Reminds me of one of my favorite segments from the Rock-Austin match at WM17. Rock hooks in a sharpshooter, and Austin gets to the ropes. Rock releases the hold. Austin then gets a sharpshooter, Rock makes the ropes. Hebner calls for a break, but Austin just looks at him, flips the bird and torques back even more.

Offline Nymyzys

• TRTSM's Color Commentator
« Reply #98 on: June 08, 2009, 03:44:16 AM »
Rednecks React To Punk's Title Win

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
THIS IS BOOLLSHEET!  God, that was one of the funniest things I've seen in a while.  I've always heard that Punk's heel work in RoH is the stuff of legend, so I'm interested to see if WWE runs with him as a heel, or tries to continue with him as a face.

Reminds me of one of my favorite segments from the Rock-Austin match at WM17. Rock hooks in a sharpshooter, and Austin gets to the ropes. Rock releases the hold. Austin then gets a sharpshooter, Rock makes the ropes. Hebner calls for a break, but Austin just looks at him, flips the bird and torques back even more.

And that my friends, is why it's my favorite match of all time.  A lot of other things attribute to it, but it's little things like that.  Earl Hebner always had a fun way of interacting with the wrestlers during matches.

Offline I Know You Like Sugar

• King Cucaracha
« Reply #99 on: June 08, 2009, 07:55:57 AM »
As a follow-up to the crazy rednecks, this guy REALLY hates Phil Brooks! Even more than me! (DISCLAIMER: That was me making a joke. I love you HTQ, let's not fight no more... I'm nothing like this guy, honest!)

PHIL BROOKS, FUCK YOU! (The Sequel)

4:00 made me laugh out loud.