Author Topic: All things HE-MAN  (Read 8765 times)

Description: New Movie coming, Classic Toys, Toons...

Offline Brodypedia

• BruiserBrody
  • CXF Writer
All things HE-MAN
« on: August 06, 2013, 04:06:50 AM »

The plot of the film has not been revealed until now.  The press release indicates that the film is now officially titled MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE 3D and will tell the story of Prince Adam (Tatum), son of King Randor of Eternia.  When the King is overthrown by his trusted advisor Skeletor, Prince Adam is cast off to the wastelands of the planet along with his sister Adora, his mentor Duncan, and his childhood friend Teela.  Together, the siblings encounter a mythical sorceress who shows them the power of Castle Greyskull, the mystical center of the planet.  With the Sword of Power, Adam will become He-Man, the Master of the Universe! -

See more at: http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/channing-tatum-will-play-he-man-in-the-masters-of-the-universe-movie#sthash.2WbpWLlx.dpu

---------

So He-man was my favorite toy line growing up, an obsession that has led to my basement still full of totes of toys both classic and modern releases.

The mini-comics that came with the toys supplied me with hours of joy and the books had some awesome cover art along with some solid stories.

The 2002 cartoon series was solid and the whole thing is available for like 5 bucks at Wal-mart now, the original cartoon series is pretty terrible with essentially the same storyline used for most episodes with no central long term story.

That new movie makes me nervous though, but hopefully it makes it off the ground unlike the 2002ish movie that John Woo was to direct.

Offline LaParkaYourCar

• Chairman of the Bored
  • CXF Writer
  • I'm BACK!
    • Twitter
Re: All things HE-MAN
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2013, 04:10:52 AM »
Channing Tatum is going to be He-Man? LOL! I can't wait to hear him say, "By the power of Greyskull..." with such a dead, wooden, emotionless voice.  ::)
Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/PaulDMatthews78
Read my old-school wrestling review blog here: https://classicwrestlingreview.wordpress.com/
Like and follow the Facebook page for my blog here: https://www.facebook.com/ClassicWrestlingReview
Check out my t-shirt store here: https://www.redbubble.com/people/PaulMatthews78

Offline Youth N Asia

• 2016 & 2017 Death Pool Reaper
  • STRONG STYLE!
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2013, 04:12:59 AM »
Little YNA approves

He-Man had me glued to the tv more so than any other program in my younger days. That and WWF wrestling.

Offline Brodypedia

• BruiserBrody
  • CXF Writer
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2013, 04:37:30 AM »
He-man toys were a huge part of my wrestling obsession as well, as I didn't really have many WWF toys til Xmas '90, so a couch cushion served as a ring and my Masters of the Universe toys were my wrestlers primarily served as my workers (and were the same size as the AWA Remco toys for easy cross play)

---
He-man has one of the the largest popularity drop offs ever as they were raking money hand over fist in 1986 (I'd wager they were only behind maybe Barbie, if not # 1 (can't find the exact stats) but an overflow of He-man and Skelator dolls clogged up the shelves instead of the rather large variety available of other MOTU toys and sales plummeted to unbelievable lows. (At its height in 1986, MOTU reached $400 million in U.S. sales, only to plummet to $7 million the following year. During its six-year run, the MOTU line sold $1.2 billion worldwide).  Mattel attempted to revive the franchise and released toys until 1987 (including a dinosaur line that every toy line just HAS to have eventually) but it was not to be. 

A rather bad live action movie was released in 1987, but it largely bombed as the fad was finished and TMNT was on the rise, not to mention GI JOE.

One last gasp in 1989 saw "The New Adventures of He-man" which saw He-man sucked into a time warp and he ended up battling Skelator in space.  A cartoon and toy line was released and achieved little success.  (I still collected though as I was a fan boy).

Offline AA484

• CXF Writer
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2013, 05:15:30 AM »
I would say that G.I. Joe and possibly Transformers were both probably outselling He-Man by 1986.

Offline AA484

• CXF Writer
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2013, 05:16:49 AM »

Offline The Amazing Rando

• Apparently Smart?
    • Opposite Attractions
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2013, 05:20:17 AM »
If I was a King, there is no fucking way in a billion years I'd let one of my top advisors be someone that looks like that and is named "Skeletor". It'd be like selecting "Nuke Brownie" as your VP.
A Horrible Premise - Episode 48: TEN CORGIS TAPED TOGETHER - an improv comedy game show podcast about creating 'horrible' tv shows.

Opposite Attractions - a comedy design podcast where two idiots design their very own theme parks. SEASON 7 IS HERE!

Buy my novel, Accounting For Glory, now in paperback!

I made a silly Disney Parks RPG. You should check it out here!

Apparently Artistic - See my dubious attempts at making art.

Bro, Do You Even Tweet?

Offline Brodypedia

• BruiserBrody
  • CXF Writer
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2013, 05:27:25 AM »
If I was a King, there is no fucking way in a billion years I'd let one of my top advisors be someone that looks like that and is named "Skeletor". It'd be like selecting "Nuke Brownie" as your VP.
Skeletor is actually He-man's uncle.  His real name is Keldor and in the comics Hordac turned him evil and Keldor was transformed into Skeletor.  Still not sure how Scare Glow fits in all this. (S.G. was a toy that was dubbed "Ghost of Skeletor" I never owned him so I didn't have access to the mini comic that would serve as an origin story. 

Offline Gary

• Bionic Cock
  • CXF Writer
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2013, 05:30:01 AM »

"go ahead. keep screaming "Shut The Fuck Up " at me. it only makes my opinions Worse"

Offline Venkman

• Dr Venkman PhD
  • You don't know me and you don't have to know me
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2013, 05:37:21 AM »
Gary you know what might be a good It Was a Good Idea At The Time? The MOTU movie.

Offline Venkman

• Dr Venkman PhD
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2013, 05:40:13 AM »

Offline Brodypedia

• BruiserBrody
  • CXF Writer
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2013, 05:58:43 AM »
Gary you know what might be a good It Was a Good Idea At The Time? The MOTU movie.
No...

They made up characters and took us out of Eternia.  A mess from the start.  Only good as B-riffic comedy to riff on and pretend it's not MOTU related!

Offline Venkman

• Dr Venkman PhD
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2013, 06:01:47 AM »
But it seemed like a good idea. Plus who doesn't love GOD SKELETOR?

Also when I was a kid I used to get really pissed when - more than once! - I'd fall for the TV listings saying MOTU 2 was on TV.

• Apparently Smart?
    • Opposite Attractions
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2013, 06:11:13 AM »
Skeletor is actually He-man's uncle.  His real name is Keldor and in the comics Hordac turned him evil and Keldor was transformed into Skeletor.  Still not sure how Scare Glow fits in all this. (S.G. was a toy that was dubbed "Ghost of Skeletor" I never owned him so I didn't have access to the mini comic that would serve as an origin story. 

That's fine. I'll accept the King's advisor being turned evil and transforming, just not being the guy from the start.
A Horrible Premise - Episode 48: TEN CORGIS TAPED TOGETHER - an improv comedy game show podcast about creating 'horrible' tv shows.

Opposite Attractions - a comedy design podcast where two idiots design their very own theme parks. SEASON 7 IS HERE!

Bro, Do You Even Tweet?

Offline Flik

• DorianS
  • CXF Writer
  • @DSookochoff
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2013, 07:56:47 AM »
For those who liked He-Man, there's the rebooted mini-series by DC. I think it was 6 issues, which lead to it being renewed into a proper release. Though I put rebooted, its more just giving it a shot in the leg than a full out reboot. I liked it to say the least. Haven't read any of the actually proper release though.

As for the movie, it'll probably be bad. I think He-Man really only works as a series, than a stand alone. Though if they take the rebooted mini-series by DC, they could probably make that into a movie. Maybe.

Offline Avid Warehouse Enthusiast

• Laz
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2013, 07:57:05 AM »
As expected as it may be to do this...

Offline Wrestlemania/Limp Bizkit WINNER

• Kreese
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2013, 08:13:41 AM »

The plot of the film has not been revealed until now.  The press release indicates that the film is now officially titled MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE 3D and will tell the story of Prince Adam (Tatum), son of King Randor of Eternia.  When the King is overthrown by his trusted advisor Skeletor, Prince Adam is cast off to the wastelands of the planet along with his sister Adora, his mentor Duncan, and his childhood friend Teela.  Together, the siblings encounter a mythical sorceress who shows them the power of Castle Greyskull, the mystical center of the planet.  With the Sword of Power, Adam will become He-Man, the Master of the Universe! -

See more at: http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/channing-tatum-will-play-he-man-in-the-masters-of-the-universe-movie#sthash.2WbpWLlx.dpu

Apr. 1, 2013

Offline Nymyzys

• TRTSM's Color Commentator
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2013, 12:12:42 PM »
The 2002 MOTU cartoon was fantastic!  You can't even fathom how much I hate that it was abruptly cancelled where it was.  According to Heman.org, the proposed 4th season was going to finally feature the return of Hordak, and Duncan was going to be transformed into a Snakeman and permanently defect to the side of the Snakemen, and Fisto was going to take his place as Weapon Master. 

The 2002 toyline was a complete clusterfuck from the beginning.  For some reason, Mattel decided that children would only want to buy He-Man and Skeletor, so all secondary characters were defacto "chase" figures while Smash Blade He-Man and Spin-Blade Skeletor clogged shelves.  After the line was killed-off, the Four Horsemen released a line of GREAT "Staction" figures.  Basically what the figures would have been, but since they didn't want a nasty visit from Mattel's lawyers, they had zero articulation and were simply statues. Just look at that Hordak figure!

Offline The Metal Maniac

• Oh yeah! I
  • Wow-ee!
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2013, 10:25:38 PM »
Kinda funny reading that the He-Man line shot itself in the foot by not having enough characters readily available. I recently had to get some birthday gifts for my nephews, and they're big into the current Ninja Turtles cartoon - I went to 5 different stores, and literally could only find about 3 villains, all the same guy, which my nephews already owned. Racks upon racks upon RACKS of the same 4 goddamned Ninja Turtles, nothing else. I couldn't fathom why they seem to think kids ONLY want to play with good guys - you gotta have someone for them to beat up!
But that's the way I like it baby
I don't wanna live forever

• Laz
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2013, 08:11:45 AM »
One of the (many) things that the Star Wars franchise did right. Most people wanted Vader, so they gave them Vader.

Offline Venkman

• Dr Venkman PhD
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2013, 01:20:45 PM »

I am not familiar with this toyline.

• Laz
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2013, 01:45:28 PM »
Jesus hates liars, Venk.

• Apparently Smart?
    • Opposite Attractions
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2013, 02:03:35 PM »

I am not familiar with this toyline.

Well, Big Josh later went on to be Doink The Clown.

Bro, Do You Even Tweet?

Offline Brodypedia

• BruiserBrody
  • CXF Writer
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2013, 02:11:14 AM »

------

Part of the issue I have with He-man is that he has several back stories.  (RE: The original series)

The earlier books show him as a barbarian traveling along who meets a slew of soldiers dressed alike and one ends up being man at arms.

Other books list He-man's mother Marlena as a earthling who crashed on Eternia and ended up marrying King Randor and bearing He-man.

Some books follow the storyline that there is not one but two power swords and that Skeletor and He - man are attempting to snag both so they can be combined and through that open the doors of Castle Greyskull.  (The toy swords they came with did indeed snap together, but the cartoon never touched on this)

I've also seen two separate angles on the King Hiss and the Snake men.

Offline Flik

• DorianS
  • CXF Writer
  • @DSookochoff
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2013, 02:21:25 AM »
That's caused by them rebooting the toy line and coming up with new origins each time. I think the toy line has more rebooted origins and backstories than most comics do.

Offline Brodypedia

• BruiserBrody
  • CXF Writer
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2013, 02:59:47 AM »
That's caused by them rebooting the toy line and coming up with new origins each time. I think the toy line has more rebooted origins and backstories than most comics do.

I was referencing only the 1981-1987 books and TV show.

Offline Dobbs3K

• TSM's former ultimate heel.
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2013, 10:15:53 PM »
(The toy swords they came with did indeed snap together, but the cartoon never touched on this)

I remember being really puzzled by this as a young boy.
"Tell Mr. Selig that next time that kid pitches, there's a good chance he gets one in the ribs." - Ryan Braun

Offline Flik

• DorianS
  • CXF Writer
  • @DSookochoff
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2013, 02:04:36 AM »
I was referencing only the 1981-1987 books and TV show.
Ah, yeah, between then. No idea. Maybe its because there was so many chefs to cook the meal?

Offline Saints_Fan_H

« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2013, 02:25:02 AM »
When I was moving out of my parents' house I went into the attic to retrieve all of my childhood junk (to presumably put into my new place's attic) and I was horrified to discover the rubber in the legs of all of my action figures had been victimized by the attic heat. I guessed it never crossed anyone's mind that heat causes rubber to melt and stretch. Every single figures' legs just dangle now. I left them there. As far as I know my dad put them in his shed's attic instead.

Offline Venkman

• Dr Venkman PhD
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2013, 03:41:13 AM »
When I was moving out of my parents' house I went into the attic to retrieve all of my childhood junk (to presumably put into my new place's attic) and I was horrified to discover the rubber in the legs of all of my action figures had been victimized by the attic heat. I guessed it never crossed anyone's mind that heat causes rubber to melt and stretch. Every single figures' legs just dangle now. I left them there. As far as I know my dad put them in his shed's attic instead.

He has won.

Offline Brodypedia

• BruiserBrody
  • CXF Writer
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2013, 11:00:17 PM »

Offline Damaramu

« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2013, 07:01:01 AM »
I had a bunch of the New Adventures of He-Man toys. I loved that series, but I'm afraid to look it up on youtube now. Nostalgia never works out for me.
I watched RAW. I thought it sucked. The usual problems and such.

Offline Brodypedia

• BruiserBrody
  • CXF Writer
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2013, 12:27:00 PM »

Offline Venkman

• Dr Venkman PhD
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2013, 01:50:22 PM »

Offline FroGG_NeaLL

• Spectacular Shirtless Rapping
  • CXF Writer
  • WIT DA GREATEST OF EASE
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2013, 05:16:19 PM »
MOTU was a crucial point of my childhood. That said, I came *no homo* here to post this;

Offline Brodypedia

• BruiserBrody
  • CXF Writer
« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2013, 02:30:10 AM »
More art I love:

Offline Brodypedia

• BruiserBrody
  • CXF Writer
« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2013, 12:46:38 PM »
http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Masters-Universe-Hires-Lone-Ranger-Scribe-Rewrites-39719.html

It was almost a year ago to the day that it was reported that screenwriter Richard Wenk had come aboard to rewrite the existing script for the upcoming Masters of the Universe movie, and now history appears to be repeating itself. With the project seemingly moving nowhere over the last 12 months, The Hollywood Reporter says that Columbia Pictures and Escape Artists have hired The Lone Ranger co-writer Terry Rossio to sign on and retool the screenplay that the studio has been working with. - See more at: http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Masters-Universe-Hires-Lone-Ranger-Scribe-Rewrites-39719.html#sthash.JSJvvrHh.dpuf

Offline Brodypedia

• BruiserBrody
  • CXF Writer
« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2013, 05:05:46 AM »

Offline Dobbs3K

• TSM's former ultimate heel.
« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2013, 05:36:48 AM »

Love the Star Wars and GI Joe figures looking like chumps behind him.
"Tell Mr. Selig that next time that kid pitches, there's a good chance he gets one in the ribs." - Ryan Braun

Offline Venkman

• Dr Venkman PhD
« Reply #39 on: December 23, 2013, 12:53:10 AM »

Offline Brodypedia

• BruiserBrody
  • CXF Writer
« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2014, 05:54:02 AM »

Offline FroGG_NeaLL

• CXF Writer

Offline FroGG_NeaLL

• CXF Writer
« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2014, 05:12:21 PM »
This dude makes amazing hand sculpted MOTU dioramas, like this insanely huge and massively detailed Castle Greyskull:

And this Fright Zone:

MUCH more: https://www.facebook.com/AccessoriesForTheUniverse

Offline Brodypedia

• BruiserBrody
  • CXF Writer
« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2014, 11:46:10 PM »

Won that yesterday on EBAY for 20 bucks~!  Can't believe it.  Spydor and Dragon Walker I've wanted for 26 years!   No idea how the bid stayed so low compared to how much those toys go perpetrate.

My last 3 major  desires are the Dread Zone, Slime Pit and the rotating monster robot Hordac had - the name escapes me.

Offline Skywarp!

« Reply #44 on: April 30, 2014, 01:14:21 AM »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MOC-HE-MAN-MASTERS-OF-THE-UNIVERSE-MOTU-VINTAGE-FILMATION-AFA-STAR-WARS-LOT-/161075550685?pt=US_Action_Figures&hash=item2580d9d9dd

Spoiler: show
$39,000.00~!

I don't know if that guy recently started collecting these at expos, but I like to imagine that he bought them himself in the '80s and kept them mint for 30 friggin' years. I couldn't imagine.

Offline FroGG_NeaLL

• CXF Writer
« Reply #45 on: May 01, 2014, 03:13:51 PM »

Won that yesterday on EBAY for 20 bucks~!  Can't believe it.  Spydor and Dragon Walker I've wanted for 26 years!   No idea how the bid stayed so low compared to how much those toys go perpetrate.

My last 3 major  desires are the Dread Zone, Slime Pit and the rotating monster robot Hordac had - the name escapes me.

Congrats Brody! Those are in awesome shape too. And you're thinking of Monstroid.

http://www.he-man.org/collecting/toy.php?id=1441

Offline Brodypedia

• BruiserBrody
  • CXF Writer
« Reply #46 on: May 02, 2014, 02:17:25 AM »
My mancave:

Offline Brodypedia

• BruiserBrody
  • CXF Writer
« Reply #47 on: May 02, 2014, 02:20:34 AM »