Author Topic: Wrestler Spotlight: Diamond Dallas Page  (Read 2145 times)

Description:

Offline The Buzz

Wrestler Spotlight: Diamond Dallas Page
« on: June 10, 2009, 08:20:02 AM »
This is something I've been thinking about doing for awhile. Posting  a biography and various pieces of information and maybe a few big matches from youtube. Then we'll discuss the individual and their career. If this turns out decent I'll put some more together. First up will be Diamond Dallas Page who went from zero to hero with hard work and determination and a little help from his friends in high places(enough cliches).

Below is a mini-biography I found from IMDB

"DDP" is probably the biggest long-shot in the wrestling business who became a major star. This versatile entertainer was born and raised at the Jersey shore, growing up a fan of wrestling. He first found success in the bar business, owning and operating several wildly successful establishments in New Jersey and in Florida. It was here that DDP first saw television fame. Owning very popular bars, he found himself rubbing shoulders with the likes of Bon Jovi and several popular comedians who frequented, and performed in, the bars. This led to several minor appearances on MTV during the mid-'80s.

When Page finally got bit by the wrestling bug, it was not even as a wrestler, but rather as a manager. He became a manager in the old AWA during its last few years. His first appearance in the WWF came as a one-time deal as Roy Farris' (aka The Honky Tonk Man) driver at Wrestlemania VI in Skydome. Vince McMahon actually hired Page because of the pink Cadillac he owned and he wanted to use that as Honky Tonk Man's vehicle, which Page ended up driving.

DDP finally made his way over to WCW, where he would see most of his fame. He was, at this point, still a manager, managing such future stars as Kevin Nash and Scott Hall, among others. When he finally decided he wanted to step in the ring, he was already pushing 40 years of age. No one took him as more than a permanent low-card wrestler when he first laced up the boots, probably getting many laughs from some of the other wrestlers. Page, however, was a man with incredible persistence and a legendary "positive" attitude. He was known to often be the first one to enter and the last one to leave the old Power Plant, WCW's training facility, even after he became an established star. His first taste of success came when he won the Lord of the Rings tournament in 1996. While somewhat of an upset, still few fans took the 40-year-old Page as a serious contender. When the nWo took over WCW, that all changed.

In the spring of 1997, as the nWo was scouring WCW for new recruits, the offer was made to Page to become one the of the black and white. Page smartly chose to, instead, treat his recruiter to his finishing move, the "Diamond Cutter". This caught the eyes of the fans and people began to take notice. With his never-say-die attitude, his cool finishing move, his hot wife and then-Nitro Girl Kimberly Page by his side, and his incredible personality, DDP started to become one of the most popular stars in WCW. A long feud with Randy Savage, topped off with a huge upset win for page at April's Spring Stampede, only kept his star rising. The feud would go on for most of the year until he finally got a shot at WCW gold at Starrcade, when he faced Curt Hennig for the WCW US Heavyweight Championship. Page won that title and held it for five months, taking on all comers and cementing his status as one of WCW's elite stars. His never-surrender attitude was shown by the abdominal area that he seemed to always have bandaged due to his work ethic and crazy travel schedule, showing that he did not take time out to recover and, instead, defended his title diligently. Great matches with the likes of Raven and Chris Benoit gave DDP's title run a huge success.

When he was finally beaten for the US Title by Raven at 1998's Spring Stampede, WCW had decided it was time for the main event for DDP. He spent most of the summer as arguably the most high-profile wrestler in the world, as he teamed up with basketball star Karl Malone and Jay Leno (yes, THE Jay Leno) in consecutive pay-per-views against Hollywood Hogan (aka Hulk Hogan) and his chosen partner. DDP also got his first taste of Hollywood, starring in the TNT made-for-TV movie First Daughter (1999) (TV).

DDP spent the rest of the year feuding with Bret Hart for the US Title and took Bill Goldberg to his best match of his career at Halloween Havoc for the World Title. DDP finally got what he had worked so hard for(the World Title) at 1999 Steve Borden aka Sting, Hogan and Ric Flair in a four-way match. DDP held the title until the next pay-per-view, with a small one-night title change from DDP to Sting back to DDP on an edition of "Nitro" in between. Page spent the summer of 1999 in a group called the Jersey Triad with fellow New Jersey natives Chris Kanyon (aka Kanyon) and 'Scott 'Bam Bam' Bigelow' . They eventually won the Tag Team Titles as well. Page's, as well as every other wrestler's, next year and a half in WCW were somewhat of a blur, as poor management, bad storylines and severe backstage disorganization took WCW from a $100-million-a-year profit to the crapper. Another WCW Heavyweight Title reign, after beating Jeff Jarrett, and a short association with actor David Arquette were his most notable storylines. The Arquette association was due to the movie that both starred in, Ready to Rumble (2000/I), which had just hit theaters. This further showed DDP's versatility as not only a wrestler, but an actor.

When WWF bought WCW in 2001, Page became one of the first wrestlers to make his appearance on "Raw", attacking Mark Calaway (aka The Undertaker). His WWF career, while not unsuccessful in the least, did not give WWF fans a true glimpse of what the real DDP could do, as he was 45 years old, had cut his hair and was not used in any real significant storyline.

Several high-profile appearances with the up-and-coming TNA wrestling federation and several movie roles (e.g., Rob Zombie's The Devil's Rejects (2005)) kept Page in a minor spotlight over the last few years. While he was well known as a great entertainer, it should be noted that he had, and still has, a huge heart for the less fortunate. Page has always been there for charities and even started his own, Bang It Out For Books. This is a charity to help fight illiteracy, as Page himself had never read a book until he was an adult.

Offline The Buzz

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 08:24:43 AM »
Some trivia facts are that he suffers from Dyslexia and ADD, didn't read a complete book until the age of 32, was a former night club owner.

Titles and Awards

* Pro Wrestling Illustrated

* PWI Most Improved Wrestler of the Year (1996)
        * PWI Feud of the Year (1997) vs. Macho Man Randy Savage
        * PWI ranked him # 4 of the 500 best singles wrestlers of the year in the PWI 500 in 1997.
        * PWI ranked him # 4 of the 500 best singles wrestlers of the year in the PWI 500 in 1998.
        * PWI Most Hated Wrestler of the Year (1999)

* Swiss Wrestling Federation

* SWF Heavyweight Championship (1 time)[6]

* World Championship Wrestling

* WCW United States Heavyweight Championship (2 times)
        * WCW World Heavyweight Championship (3 times)
        * WCW World Tag Team Championship (4 times) – with Kevin Nash (2) and Chris Kanyon and Bam Bam Bigelow (2)
        * WCW World Television Championship (1 time)

* World Wrestling Federation

* WWF European Championship (1 time)
        * WWF Tag Team Championship (1 time) – with Kanyon

* Wrestling Observer Newsletter awards

* Best Wrestling Maneuver (1997) Diamond Cutter
        * Most Improved Wrestler (1996)
        * Worst Gimmick (2001)

Below is a time line of DDP's major pay-per-view matches I found on the web.

12/29 Starrcade - w/Mike Graham lost to Bill Kazmaier & Jushin Liger

1/21 Clash of Champions - lost to PN News

2/20 Superbrawl - losto to Terry Taylor
4/17 Spring Stampede - lost to Johnny B Badd

6/18 Great American Bash - lost an Arm Wrestling match to Dave Sullivan
7/16 Bash at the Beach - beat Dave Sullivan
8/6 COC - beat Alex Wright
9/17 Fall Brawl - won the WCW TV Title from The Renegade
10/29 Halloween Havoc - lost the TV Title to Johnny B Badd
11/26 World War 3 - lost to TV Champ Johnny B Badd

2/11 Superbrawl - lost to TV Champ Johnny B Badd
3/10 Uncensored - lost to The Booty Man
5/19 Slamboree - w/The Barbarian beat Rick Steiner & The Booty Man
5/19 Slamboree - won the Battlebowl
6/16 Great American Bash - beat Marcus Alexander Bagwell
7/7 Bash at the Beach - beat Jim Duggan in a Taped Fist Match
8/15 COC - lost to Eddie Guerrero
9/15 Fall Brawl - beat Chavo Guerrero Jr.
10/27 Halloween Havoc - beat Eddie Guerrero
12/29 Starrcade - lost the tournament final for the vacant U.S. Title to Eddie Guerrero

1/25 NWO Souled Out - lost to Scott Norton by count out
2/23 Superbrawl - beat Buff Bagwell by DQ
4/6 Spring Stampede - beat Randy Savage
6/15 Great American Bash - lost to Randy Savage
7/13 Bash at the Beach - w/Curt Hennig lost to Randy Savage & Scott Hall
8/9 Road Wild - lost to Curt Hennig
8/21 COC - w/Lex Luger lost to WCW Tag Team Champs Scott Hall & Randy Savage (subbing for Kevin Nash)
9/14 Fall Brawl - w/Lex Luger beat Scott Hall & Randy Savage
10/26 Halloween Havoc - lost a Death Match to Randy Savage
12/28 Starrcade - won the U.S. Championship from Curt Hennig

2/22 SuperBrawl - beat Chris Benoit
3/15 Uncensored - beat Raven & Chris Benoit
4/19 Spring Stampede - lost the U.S. Championship to Raven
5/17 Slamboree - beat Raven in a Cage Match
7/12 Bash at the Beach - w/Karl Malone lost to Dennis Rodman & Hollywood Hogan
8/8 Road Wild - w/Jay Leno beat Hollywood Hogan & Eric Bischoff
9/13 Fall Brawl - War Games: Team WCW (Page, Piper & Warrior) beat Team Hollywood (Hogan, Hart, & Stevie Ray) & Team Wolfpac (Sting, Luger, & Nash)
10/25 Halloween Havoc - lost to WCW Champion Bill Goldberg
10/26 Nitro - won the U.S Title from Bret Hart
11/22 World War 3 - beat Bret Hart
11/30 Nitro - lost the U.S. Title to Bret Hart

2/21 Superbrawl - lost to TV Champion Scott Steiner
4/11 Spring Stampede - Dallas Page beat WCW World Champion Ric Flair, Sting, & Hollywood Hogan to win the belt
4/26 Nitro - lost the WCW World Championship to Sting
4/26 Nitro - DDP beat WCW Champion Sting, Kevin Nash, and Goldberg to regain the WCW World Championship
5/9 Slamboree - lost the WCW World Championship to Kevin Nash
5/31 Nitro - w/Bam Bam Bigelow won the WCW Tag Team Championship from Saturn & Kanyon (subbing for Raven but really on the side of Bigelow & DDP)
6/10 Thunder - w/Kanyon (Jersey Triad) lost the WCW Tag Team Titles to Chris Benoit & Saturn
6/13 Great American Bash - w/Kanyon (Jersey Triad) beat Chris Benoit & Perry Saturn to regain the WCW Tag Team Championship
7/11 Bash at the Beach - Dallas Page, Bam Bam Bigelow, & Kanyon beat Chris Benoit & Perry Saturn
8/14 Road Wild - lost to U.S. Champion Chris Benoit
8/14 Road Wild - Bigelow & Kanyon (Jersey Triad) lost the WCW Tag Team Titles to Harlem Heat
10/24 Halloween Havoc - beat Ric Flair
12/19 Starrcade - beat David Flair

1/16 Souled Out - lost a Last Man Standing Match to Buff Bagwell
4/17 Spring Stampede - lost to Jeff Jarrett in a match for the vacant WCW World Championship
4/24 Nitro - won the WCW World Championship from Jeff Jarrett in a Steel Cage Match
4/25 Thunder - Dallas Page & David Arquette beat Jeff Jarrett & Eric Bischoff. Since Arquette made the winning pin fall over Bischoff, he became the new WCW World Champion.
5/7 Slamboree - Triple-tier Cage match for WCW Title: Jeff Jarret beat champion David Arquette & Dallas Page to win the title
6/11 Great American Bash - lost to Mike Awesome in an Ambulance Match
11/26 Mayhem - w/Kevin Nash won the WCW Tag Team Championship from Chuck Palumbo & Shawn Stasiak
12/4 Nitro - Nash & Page are stripped of the WCW Tag Team Titles
12/17 Starrcade - w/Kevin Nash beat Chuck Palumbo & Shawn Stasiak to regain the WCW Tag Team Championship

1/14 SIN - w/Kevin Nash lost the WCW Tag Titles to Chuck Palumbo & Sean O'Haire
2/18 Superbrawl Revenge - lost to Kanyon
2/18 Superbrawl Revenge - beat Jeff Jarrett
3/18 Greed - lost to WCW World Champion Scott Steiner
6/24 King of the Ring - Non-sanctioned encounter with no ref: The Undertaker beat up Dallas Page until Page ran away
7/22 Invasion - Booker T, The Dudley Boyz, Dallas Page & Rhyno beat Steve Austin, Kurt Angle, The Undertaker, Kane & Chris Jericho
8/9 SmackDown - w/Kanyon won the WWE World Tag Team Championship from the APA
8/19 SummerSlam - w/Kanyon lost the tag team titles to WCW Tag Team Champions Kane & The Undertaker in a Cage Match

1/31 SmackDown - won the European Championship from Christian
3/17 WrestleMania X8 - beat Christian
3/21 SmackDown - lost the European Championship to William Regal

12/5 Turning Point - beat Raven

1/16 Final Resolution - Monty Brown beat Kevin Nash and Dallas Page
2/13 Against All Odds - w/Monty Brown beat Team Canada (Bobby Roode & Eric Young)
3/13 Destination X - lost to NWA World Champion Jeff Jarrett in a Lumberjack Match
4/24 Lockdown - Lethal Lockdown Match: Dallas Page, Sean Waltman, & BG James beat Jeff Jarrett, Monty Brown, & The Outlaw
5/15 Hard Justice - w/Ron Killings lost to Monty Brown & The Outlaw

Sources include: Pro Wrestling Illustrated Almanac, wwe.com, onlineworldofwrestling.com, and wiarchive.com

Offline The Buzz

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2009, 08:27:20 AM »
Below are the links to several of his best matches....

DDP vs Bill Goldberg-Halloween Havoc 98

DDP vs Goldberg from 1998 WCW Halloween Havoc Part 1/2

DDP vs Chris Benoit vs Raven-WCW Uncensored

DDP vs Chris Benoit vs Raven (Parte 1)

Sting vs DDP vs Hogan vs Ric Flair- WCW World Title Spring Stampede 99

Ric Flair Vs. Hulk Hogan Vs. Sting Vs. DDP Part 1

Sting vs DDP-Monday Nitro 99

WCW: Diamond Dallas Page vs. Sting (April 26, 1999) -- PART 1

DDP vs Macho Man-Great American Bash 97 Falls Count Anywhere

Randy Savage Vs. DDP

Offline Sabre

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2009, 08:47:55 AM »
Lets also remember the taped ribs.

Offline The Real DXP

• daileyxplanet
    • TrevorTwitter
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2009, 02:39:27 PM »
I am aware that the biography is mixed with kayfabe and shoot, but was his taped abdomen legit? 

Offline Box

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2009, 03:49:07 PM »
His WWF stint may have stunk, but I have to admit, I marked out when he won the Euro title. I thought that was going to actually be a mini start to a push up to the IC title perhaps. Too bad.

Offline The Buzz

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2009, 05:41:59 PM »
I am aware that the biography is mixed with kayfabe and shoot, but was his taped abdomen legit? 

I'll try to find out, but the IMDB had some weird trivia facts saying that he sold the most merchandise out of any wcw star and that he had the best win/loss record out of any wcw star. Didn't make much sense when you consider Sting being the top merchandise guy for many years, and then his 97. Not to mention all the nWo shirts and the Goldberg phenomenon in 98.

Offline Super Leather

• CXF Writer
    • Rock 'n' Wrestling
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2009, 06:36:33 PM »
Great idea for a thread. I'm happy to participate for as long as we can keep this going.

I don't remember anything about Diamond Dallas Page prior to seeing him in WCW circa 1995 (this was after his in-ring comeback from bankruptcy and homelessness), but had heard his name a lot. Wouldn't call him a particularly great wrestler, but was never offensively bad or anything to me. I'll remember DDP as a wrestler who always appeared to be having fun doing what he did, and as a result he was fun to watch and someone I looked forward to seeing on Nitro each week.

Although he's been trashed in wrestler autobiographies for not calling matches in the ring (which doesn't exactly mean much to me as a viewer anyway), I do think his hard work and persistence should be respected, as well as his attention to detail. Being paired up with a similar detail freak in Randy Savage made for a great rivalry, and I vaguely recall at least one really great brawl of a match they had together. Probably that Falls Count Anywhere match, but it's been so long since and I only saw their matches when they happened so it's hard for me to remember.

I wish his run with the WWF went better than it did, but we know how that goes.

If nothing else, the fact that he looked the way he did and still managed to have sex with a white-hot lady like Kimberly is worthy of mad respect from average Joes the world over. Say what you will about his lack of improvisation, friends in high places, or in-ring skills, but you can never take away that accomplishment! Self-high-five, brother.
https://letterboxd.com/Jake6669/

Find my Rock 'n' Wrestling column via this magazine: http://goblinkomegamall.com/collections/pork-magazine
PORK #29 now available! This issue's column is a tribute to Bruno Sammartino. PM me if you would like a copy in exchange for postage cost!

Offline DCH

• The Every Night Delight
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2009, 07:21:50 PM »
I remember at the age of 5 thinking DDP invented the DDT: Diamond Dallas Takedown (in my twisted world). Other than that, I know fairly little about the man other than the fact that he was brilliant on the microphone.

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2009, 08:00:05 PM »
I typically enjoyed DDP, but either I forgot or blocked out the fact his three title reigns lasted a grand total of like 2 weeks.
[img width=800

Fan: WHY CAN REY BEAT BIG GUYS BUT NOT KIDMAN
Kevin Nash: Kidman wears a wife beater

Offline The Buzz

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2009, 09:09:31 AM »
To be honest I liked him until he won the World title and turned heel although I still enjoyed his work. I think if there was a time for him to win the belt as a face it would have been against Goldberg at Halloween Havoc 98. Probably would have left Goldberg in better shape than his Starrcade loss. I always thought he had one of the cooler moments with the nWo other than Sting's various beatdowns and Lugers title win over Hogan. I enjoyed them recruiting him and then him joining only to turn on Hall and Nash seconds later and reveal he was sticking with wcw.

I've been thinking about trying his yoga in addition to my bodybuilding to increase my flexibility, it looks pretty cool.

Offline HSJ

• misogynist at heart
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2009, 11:54:23 AM »
He had awesome theme music and everyone marked out for the million ways he hit the Diamond Cutter.

DTF

Offline Rendclaw

• Frankly my dear... eh, you know the rest.
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2009, 12:09:21 PM »
That was the best thing about his style, is that he could hit the Cutter from a lot of different holds and positions. I wish that had been further developed..

Offline Monsoon Classic

• Monsoon_Classic
    • My YouTube Channel with over 2,000 classic WWF & WCW videos
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2009, 12:44:29 PM »
I felt bad for all those luchadors who had to eat the countless modified Diamond Cutters.

Been enjoying his work on the AWA shows on ESPNC.  And fuck, those 1980s Diamond Dolls were smokin hot.
Check out my YouTube page for over 2,000 classic WWF & WCW videos:
https://www.youtube.com/user/MrMonsoonClassic/videos

Offline Jingus

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2009, 03:16:00 PM »
Sting vs DDP-Monday Nitro 99
Hey cool, I'd heard about this match but never gotten around to watching it.  As good a main event as was possible in WCW at that time. 

Furthermore, watching that match, I would bet money that wasn't entirely called in the back and memorized ahead of time by DDP.  It felt like Sting called a lot of it on the fly.  So put that in your pipe and smoke it, "DDP sucked cuz he couldn't call it in the ring" people.  Furthermore, like Super Leather said, who gives a fuck about exactly how the matches were planned?  A good match is a good match, regardless of how it got that way, and I defy anyone to show me a better Goldberg match than the one Page had at HH98. 

Offline mellow

• NXT Pro
    • Hell no.
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2009, 03:29:04 PM »

I'll try to find out, but the IMDB had some weird trivia facts saying that he sold the most merchandise out of any wcw star and that he had the best win/loss record out of any wcw star. Didn't make much sense when you consider Sting being the top merchandise guy for many years, and then his 97. Not to mention all the nWo shirts and the Goldberg phenomenon in 98.

I don't have any solid numbers to back me up, but out of any single star (meaning the nWo, Wolfpac, etc. are exempt) he might be up there, as the Diamond Cutter shirt sold like hot cakes.

Offline chuck

« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2009, 05:54:00 PM »
The thing I liked about DDP was that you could tell he was having fun out there.

Offline The Buzz

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2009, 07:01:01 PM »
Yeah I agree on him having a lot of fun out in the ring. On the whole calling it in the ring or the back debate. If I'm not mistaken Randy Savage and Bret Hart both planned a lot of their matches beforehand, and were able to improvise if need be. I think DDP probably did the same, and while he wasn't a Bret Hart or a Randy Savage, he had quite a few good matches for it.

The whole planning thing gets a bad name from spot monkeys who can't think on their feet beyond getting back up and trying the same spot exactly as they just did it a second earlier.

Offline Zeddemore

• Groovy
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2009, 12:35:32 AM »
It's especially amusing that he got mocked for planning beforehand, and now most of the matches on TV (and probably PPV) are planned extensively. At least DDP managed to come up with some original spots.

Online Kamala Has Delaney Fever

• CXF Writer
  • Socialism is Not Going to Win Any POTY Tournaments
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2009, 02:13:44 AM »
It's unbelievable how good this guy got considering how shitty he was for the first eight years or so in the wrestling industry. He was a mediocre manager, an awful commentator (He was such a Jesse Ventura ripoff that The Body/The Mind should have sued him for copyright infringement), and up until '96ish, a below average worker. I don't know what is but sometime around his feud with Eddie Guerrero, something clicked and he became a solid worker. He seemed like he was the only WCW main event guy to consistently give a damn. Even towards the end, he was still putting in a good effort. He had a hell of a match with Kanyon at the last SuperBrawl and his match with Scott Steiner at Greed was a fun brawl.

Offline I Know You Like Sugar

• King Cucaracha
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2009, 02:48:39 AM »
So put that in your pipe and smoke it, "DDP sucked cuz he couldn't call it in the ring" people.  Furthermore, like Super Leather said, who gives a fuck about exactly how the matches were planned?  A good match is a good match, regardless of how it got that way, and I defy anyone to show me a better Goldberg match than the one Page had at HH98.

I'm sure the arguement from the vets who didn't like it would be, if they're in there with a guy who plans every match out meticulously beforehand, what happens if something goes wrong and they had to improvise? Would Page get lost? Surely if he had to plan things out, the assumption would be that he couldn't improvise, even if that wasn't the case. So I can see why he'd get a bad rap from those guys who were brought up in the business differently in a different era.

Offline Jingus

« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2009, 03:57:44 AM »
Sure, it's better to be able to improvise than not.  But even if Page did get lost, what about the other guy in the ring?  DDP had plenty of matches with plenty of guys who aren't real big on calling it all in the back.  Sure, those Undertaker matches weren't pretty; but that was because he was deliberately burying Page, not because DDP was unable to work on the fly.  Even if he couldn't call it in the ring, there's no reason why he couldn't listen to his opponent calling it. 

Offline DCH

« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2009, 02:44:58 PM »
I love the ring announcing in the first video (Goldberg vs DDP at HH98). It is fucking awesome. Why don't ring announcers announce like that today. All they say is and his opponent, or making his way to the ring and just say the name. Even 5 years ago they at least said their heights and weights.