Author Topic: The OAO UFC Fight Pass Thread  (Read 22512 times)

Description: Another TKO on my wallet

Offline HSJ

• misogynist at heart
The OAO UFC Fight Pass Thread
« on: December 30, 2013, 09:19:20 AM »
So the big announcement over the weekend was the start of the UFC Subscription-based website, UFC Fight Pass! For $9.99 a month, you are promised international live events, preliminary cards, original programming such as International TUF, behind-the-scenes interviews, all pre- and post-fight weight ins/press conferences, Best of Pride, plus access to the UFC library for a shit ton of fights that include PRIDE, WEC, Strikeforce, Affliction, WFA and more!

Also, if you sign up by Feb. 28th, you get two free months!

Since I'm not a cheap SOB like many of the people bitching about having to pay more money to Zuffa, I signed up for Fight Pass. I think it is worth it since I'm always watching MMA anyway and if I am going to fight with someone over the internet about why <insert name here> will never be champion or why Nick Diaz lost to Carlos Condit (and that he wasn’t running away the whole fight), I like being able to go back and take a look at their fights in HD quality whenever I want (something not always available on YouTube).

Since it’s the first few days that the service is online, I'll start a thread where we can discuss what is being offered. I might be mistaken, but I believe it is like the WWE's service where they change some of the programming up monthly. If anyone knows better or we just wait a month, let me know.

It appears the website is broken up into four categories; Live Events, Originals, TV Shows and Fight Library.

As of December 30th, 2013, this is the following available with the service.

Live Events

1) UFC Fight Night 34: Saffiedine vs. Lim; January 4th, 2014 – The entire card is available to Fight Pass members.

2) UFC Fight Night 35: Rockhold vs. Philippou, January 15th, 2014 – The prelims are available to Fight Pass members. The main card is available, but subject to blackout restrictions.

3) UFC on FOX 10: Henderson vs. Thomson, January 25th, 2014 - The prelims are available to Fight Pass members. The main card is available, but subject to blackout restrictions.

Originals

1) The Exchange with Megan Olivi – an interview show. Right now, only three episodes are up with Ray Longo (WWWYKI), Miesha Tate and Ronda Rousey.

2) UFC Now – a recap show with Kenny Florian and Jenn Brown. Only two episodes up right now, both have Brendan Schaub guest hosting. First episode has the full fight of Joe Lauzon vs. Michael Johnson and segments on Miesha Tate and Anderson Silva. Second episode isn’t working for me, for whatever reason.

3) UFC Fighter Profiles – they have in full the documentary (none of the extra fights) of the Forrest Griffin: Ultimate Fighter, Ronda Rousey: Breaking Ground, Chuck Lidell: Ultimate Iceman and Ultimate Gracie DVD.

4) UFC Fit – I don’t know…its Mike Dolce running around with 5 pound weights.

5) Ultimate Submissions – the two Ultimate Submission DVDs that are out (not including the bonus fights)

6) Ultimate Knockouts – the two Ultimate Knockout DVDs that are out (not including the bonus fights)

7) UFC Breakthrough – short documentary interviews where a fighter looks back at one of his fights. Only two episodes up now with Ricardo Lamas (talking about his fight with Cub Swanson) and Dominic Cruz (talking about title rematch with Urijah Faber).

8 ) Gracie Breakdown – how these guys got on here, I don’t know. But only one episode so far, where they breakdown Ronda Rousey vs. Liz Carmouche.

9) MMA Mindset – another short documentary interview where they talk to two fighters before their fight. Only two episodes up now with Chris Weidman/Anderson Silva and Miesha Tate/Ronda Rousey.

TV Shows

1) The Ultimate Fighter: Season 1-6 – All of Season 1, 3, 4, and 6 are available. Looks like 2 and 5 will be added soon.

2) The Ultimate Fighter: Season 7-12 – All of Season 7, 8, 9 and 10 are available, but completely out of order. Looks like 12 will be added soon and hopefully will be reorganized.

3) The Ultimate Fighter: Season 13-18 –All of Season 14 through 18 are here. Season 13 is missing. Looks like they are working their way down with organizing, as Season 17 and 18 and half of 16 are labeled and ordered nicely.

4) The Ultimate Fighter: Smashes – All of season 1.

5) The Ultimate Fighter: Brazil – All of season 1 and 2.

6) Best of PRIDE – Looks like all of season 1 and 2. Also, Kenda Perez.

7) UFC Unleashed – Every episode from that series.

8 ) Ultimate Insider – Jon Anik’s show. Looks to be missing two episodes, but otherwise, every episode.

9) UFC Wired – Joe Rogan’s show from the mid-2000s. All of season 2 is on here.

10) UFC Countdown – The countdown show for several of the PPVs. The latest one up here is GSP vs. Jonny Hendricks (which I think was the last one) and goes back to GSP vs. Jake Shields. I know Dana White said recently they won’t be doing too many more of these as they cost too much, which is a shame.

Now the biggest thing of them all…

Fight Library

Holy shit. There are A LOT of fights. I will consider making a list of all of the fights that are available right now if you guys want me to, but until then, I’ll just point out some cool stuff that they have on here.

1) Follow the Belt – A collection of some championship fights in UFC History. Right now, it is the UFC Heavyweight Title which has some fights such as Randy Couture vs. Vitor Belfort, Bas Rutten vs. Kevin Randleman, Josh Barnett vs. Randy Couture, Frank Mir vs. Tim Sylvia, Randy Couture vs. Brock Lesnar, Brock Lesnar vs. Cain Velasquez and Cain Velasquez vs. Junior Dos Santos 1 & 2.

2) Fight of the Night –Fight of the Nights from 2013, including GSP vs. Jonny Hendricks, Jon Jones vs. Alex Gustaffason, Dennis Bermudez vs. Matt Grice, Gilbert Melendez vs. Diego Sanchez, Mark Hunt vs. Junior Dos Santos, Jose Aldo vs. Frankie Edgar.

3) Knockout of the Night – Knockout of the Nights from 2013, including Tyron Woodley vs. Josh Koscheck, Robbie Lawler vs. Josh Koscheck (poor guy), TJ Grant vs. Gray Maynard, Chris Weidman vs. Anderson Silva 1, Jake Ellenberger vs. Nate Marquardt, Big Foot Silva vs. Overeem.

4) Submission of the Night – Submission of the Nights from 2013, including Donald Cerreone vs. Evan Dunham, Anthony Pettis vs. Benson Henderson, Glover Texiera vs. James Te Huna.

5) The Champs – An assortment of fights of each of the UFC Champions (Demetrious Johnson, Jose Aldo, Dominic Cruz, Anthony Pettis, Chris Weidman, Jon Jones, Cain Velasquez) and GSP and Anderson Silva.

6) Event Replays – The latest card shown is GSP vs. Jonny Hendricks. A few of the newer shows only offer the main fights (I’m sure some prelims are available). The older shows show the whole event (prelims and main card).  Looks like every 2013 event is on here. Not only PPVs, but UFC on Fox, Fight Nights, international events, TUF finales. Also the Affliction: Banned and Affliction: Day of Reckoning event.

And that is it (other than the massive library of fights). What is good about the library of fights is that they break it up by year. You can also tell that they’ve only really focused on putting up mostly the past 2-3 years, with some famous fights from older days thrown in. I can only imagine in a month or two how big this thing will be.

In my opinion, well worth $9.99 a month for what is basically the Netflix of MMA.

All discussion of the service goes here. If there are any updates, feel free to add to the thread.

DTF

Offline NoCalMike

• Welcome to Prime Time, bitch!
    • EVIL EPISODES PODCAST!
Re: The OAO UFC Fight Pass Thread
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2013, 11:36:07 AM »
It doesn't sound like a bad deal, actually. 
Get your TV Horror Fix w/the Podcast EVIL EPISODES! Listen at:
http://www.legionpodcasts.com/
http://www.horrorphilia.com

Offline Amy pats fan

• P dot Roy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • hashtag trashbag
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2013, 12:41:05 PM »
This will appeal to an incredibly small niche audience.  I already think UFC has oversaturated their product, so you have to be really hardcore to care about the exclusive shows on this when there's already so much "free" content on cable and the internet

The biggest selling point to me is the archive, Pride in particular, but that's miniscule compared to say the WWE library, or all the stuff available on Netflix.  They're all pricing the same, but UFC would be a distant third for me in terms of value.  I'm a bigger fan of MMA than your average person, definitely more than casual, but $10 a month for this service doesn't appeal to me at all.

I've also sensed a huge dropoff in interest in the sport from my casual friends who used to have a passing interest and could easily be talked into watching a show.  One of my friends didn't know who Jon Jones was and I was like, "WTF?!"  and this is a guy who was super hyped about GSP v. Penn not that long ago

Offline cheex incarnate

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2013, 02:41:17 AM »
Is anyone else having trouble with the service trying to charge you for some of the content (or is not everything offered under the UFC Fight Pass service?) I tried to watch the Bader/Texiera card but it wants to charge me.

This is a decent little service as is, but I really hope they get a PS3 app. Can't stand watching long shows on my mac

Offline HSJ

• misogynist at heart
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2014, 05:56:23 AM »
It seems some people are having issues with the website trying to charge them for certain fight cards. From what I gather, this should be straightened out as soon as tomorrow (since that is the official launch date).

DTF

Offline The Art of Rasslin'

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • wipeoff
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2014, 06:00:56 AM »
I agree with a lot of what Roy said. When a lot of dedicated fight fans like the guys on this board are talking about how they won't be getting Fight Pass because there are so many fights already, it seems like over-saturation.

There seem to be a lot of issues with UX stuff on the site, but I'm sure they're planning on having that all fixed up by the time the free trial ends.

I can't believe a guy can be that big, and jump around like he does what a great athlete!

Offline Linx

• Rich Uncle Skeleton
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2014, 02:01:41 PM »
A year or two ago i would have been all over Fight Pass, but now whether it's due to over-saturation or whatever i really don't see myself getting this. I've been skipping more and more current MMA, even free shows, so even as a reasonably 'hardcore' fan this is a hard sell to watch old shows i've already seen and international events i don't care about.

Offline cheex incarnate

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2014, 04:43:47 AM »
Ok, the charging situation has been fixed (at least for me). However, when I watch an event, it has the really annoying tendency to skip ahead about 10 seconds at random. Sometimes I miss a good chunk of rounds when this happens. Anybody else getting this? I watched UFC 165 and the Singapore card pretty seamlessly, but Fight Night: Condit vs Kampmann II has been really choppy, so hopefully it's isolated to just that event.

I really want to love this but, especially in the wake of the kick fucking ass WWE Network announcement, it's making it really hard for me to buy in 100%

Offline HSJ

• misogynist at heart
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2014, 06:24:24 AM »
I haven't had any issues so far and I've been watching fights every night since I got it.

And with the announcement of the WWE Network, I wonder how Fight Pass will change over the next few months.

DTF

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • wipeoff
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2014, 06:29:54 AM »
If they start incorporating PPV's while keeping certain large cards on free TV, bah gawd.

I can't believe a guy can be that big, and jump around like he does what a great athlete!

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • wipeoff
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2014, 04:07:48 AM »
http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2014/1/13/5295434/ufc-fight-pass-security-issues-credit-cards-hackers-fraud

My concern is less with that, and more with the security and support side of things. My background is in developing software solutions for companies' online web presence, and security of user data is a pretty fundamental pillar of that. The security of user data on UFC.TV, which is the home of the user data for fight pass, has some flaws which are sounding alarms with many, myself included.

Offline HSJ

• misogynist at heart
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2014, 03:48:12 AM »
UFC Fight Night 37 / TUF China Finale -

Dong Hyun "Stun Gun" Kim vs. "The British Hitman" John Hathaway
TUF China WW Finals - Wang Sai vs. Lipeng Zhai
Matt Mitrione vs. Shawn Jordan
Hatsu Hioki vs. Ivan Menjivar
Vaughn Lee vs. Nam Phan
Yui Chun Nam vs. Kazuki Tokudome
Albert Cheng vs. Anying Wang
Jumabieke Tuerxun vs. Mark Eddiva

The TUF China FW Finals (Jianping Yang vs. Guangyou Ning) was postponed due to injury.

Zak Cummings vs. Alberto Mina was cancelled due to Cummings being a fat piece of shit and Mina not wanting to fight a guy 8 pounds heavier than him (as of the weigh-ins) at catch weight.

This exciting card is only available on UFC Fight Pass and begins at...6:15 AM ET tomorrow...god damn it.

DTF

Offline Lord of The Curry

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2014, 04:01:16 AM »
Man, fuck UFC for this. I'm hoping Rogers will still carry some of the "bigger" Fight Pass shows. The Gus/Manuwa show specifically.

Menjivar, after getting outgrappled by Wilson Reis at a lower weight moving up to fight Hioki at FW is dumb beyond words. He's going to get tooled.

Offline HSJ

• misogynist at heart
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2014, 12:40:14 AM »
I've been in and out of sleep for the past few hours, but I learned that Nam Phan sucks (which I already knew), The Korean Bulldozer is a beast, and Shawn Jordan has no chin.

THE DONG~!

DTF

Offline HSJ

• misogynist at heart
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2014, 12:48:46 AM »
Fearless K-1 Striker The Dong is my new favorite fighter.

DTF

Offline HSJ

• misogynist at heart
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2014, 12:58:42 AM »
OH MY GOD THAT WAS CRAZIER THAN THE ERIK SILVA KNOCK OUT!

STUN GUNNNNNNN!

DTF

Offline HSJ

• misogynist at heart
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2014, 01:05:22 AM »

DTF

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • wipeoff
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2014, 01:14:31 AM »
Don't take a fight against a monster like Kim after 13 months on the shelf. Lesson learned.

Offline RavishingRickRudo

« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2014, 01:45:10 AM »
That's so damn pretty.  Especially since he was countering an elbow.

« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2014, 01:58:51 AM »
I know that the UFC and by in large us fans are tempted to see Reckless Dong stepped up against tougher competition but can we just for one minute feed him a string of low end WW's for him to smash? Because he's so good at it.

Offline Just Call Me Dan

« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2014, 02:23:49 AM »
He's the perfect opponent to stop this Matt Brown overrating.

« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2014, 02:53:41 AM »
I'm down for that fight. First one was close but both guys are totally different fighters.

Offline cheex incarnate

« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2014, 10:03:29 AM »
I was browsing Fight Pass earlier and it struck me that it looks like they've taken off the FS1 cards. Is that accurate or am I missing them due to the new interface?

Offline HSJ

• misogynist at heart
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2014, 05:29:28 AM »
Anyone watching the England card?

So far, the prelims have been fun. Gaudinot got another jumping guillotine submission, Igor vs Mitchell was a fun ground battle, Bradley Scott vs. Silva was one of the sloppiest fights I've ever seen and neither guy should be in the UFC, and Barnatt continues to be a decent prospect at MW.

DTF

Offline HSJ

• misogynist at heart
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2014, 05:35:37 AM »
and Latifi just went full juice monster on Diabate and almost ripped his head off his shoulders. Awesome finish.

DTF

Offline Zetterberg is Go

« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2014, 06:02:40 AM »
Weird commentary duo for this one (and no Buffer? Wtf) but at least Sportsnet 360 is showing it here.

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • wipeoff
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2014, 06:20:00 AM »
Yeah the commentary is weird, who are these guys? Oh one of them is Dan Hardy, looks sharp as hell.

wth that's not Ron Waterman. I knew Nelson was gonna win but I expected Omari to put up a better fight.

Offline HSJ

• misogynist at heart
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2014, 06:29:58 AM »
Dan Hardy is actually pretty good, but the guy he is with is horrible. It's like he's never watched a UFC event before and has no idea who anyone is.

Gunnar Nelson is a dangerous man. He's still a prospect, but think he might be too small for some of the bigger 170 pound fighters.

DTF

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • wipeoff
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2014, 06:32:41 AM »
Yeah Gunnar is a serious prospect. He is VERY small for 170, so the fact that he's able to control big welterweights like he has shows how legit his jiu jitsu is.

The idea of a 225 lb Olympic caliber wrestler torquing my neck like that is horrifying. Good Lord.

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • wipeoff
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2014, 06:45:12 AM »
This fight is great but Conor's enthusiasm outside the cage is even better. His reaction to the eyepoke was priceless.

Offline Zetterberg is Go

« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2014, 06:51:11 AM »
Not sure Pickett really earned that one.

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • wipeoff
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2014, 06:52:30 AM »
lol he wants to uphold another title with TUF. He did beat DJ but let's be real that would not happen again.

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • wipeoff
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2014, 06:53:57 AM »
Lirl they booed the modern-day homegrown superstar from One Direction, but cheer 'rap royalty' in MC Hammer, a guy who hasn't been relevant for like twenty years.

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • wipeoff
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2014, 06:56:27 AM »
'if he wins tonight it makes sense to match him up with Ryan Bader' lol no it doesn't wth

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • wipeoff
« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2014, 07:25:24 AM »
From the same TuF as Leroy, it's equally surprising that MJ has evolved into the fighter he is. He p. much just put the nail in the coffin of Guillard's career. Feel bad for Melvin, one of the worst examples of wasted talent in the history of the sport.

Offline Zetterberg is Go

« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2014, 07:26:31 AM »
Big win for Johnson.

Offline Zetterberg is Go

« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2014, 07:51:27 AM »
What a knee by Gus. Lawdy.

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • wipeoff
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2014, 07:51:57 AM »
Manuwa is legit, and that makes Gus's KO that much more impressive. MAULER

Offline MikeofEvil

• Beware of my mongooses!
    • Mike Brooks, Sci-Fi Author
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2014, 09:02:04 AM »
I'm just laughing at the fact that I get Fight Pass stuff for free* :p A shame for Jimi, but he was going to have to go up against someone like Gus sooner or later.

*well, it's all shown on BTSport, which is the channel I'd already paid for to see regular UFC shows, and some Premiership football

I'm an angel. I kill firstborns while their mamas watch. I turn cities into salt. I even, when I feel like it, rip the souls from little girls, and from now till kingdom come, the only thing you can count on in your existence is never understanding why.

Offline NoCalMike

• Welcome to Prime Time, bitch!
    • EVIL EPISODES PODCAST!
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2014, 04:53:05 PM »
For those that didn't see the fight, here it is, watch it while it's still up

Get your TV Horror Fix w/the Podcast EVIL EPISODES! Listen at:
http://www.legionpodcasts.com/
http://www.horrorphilia.com

Offline Mildly Threatening Damon

• They wanna be my bitch so bad that they fetch Frisbees.
  • Dangerous Damon
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2014, 06:34:55 PM »
A few of my friends couldn't understand why I was so nervous for this fight, but they didn't understand the dangers that Jimi Manuwa brought to the table.  Gus passed with flying colors, a fight with Jones is the biggest fight for UFC right now.

« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2014, 03:02:03 AM »
Dana said at the presser that Gus is going to get the next title shot, hope he sticks to that. I enjoyed Mauler on the mic afterwards, it wasn't a threat or shit talk he was just stating a fact to Jones that he's going to have to go through him again. Dug it.

Offline Youth N Asia

• 2016 & 2017 Death Pool Reaper
  • STRONG STYLE!
« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2014, 03:10:35 AM »
Hardly anyone that's said to get the next title shot actually gets the next title shot. So I'm not holding my breath.

Offline Zetterberg is Go

« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2014, 03:14:50 AM »
The only other guys in the conversation are Davis and possibly Cormier so I'm fairly certain Gus will get the next shot.

« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2014, 03:30:45 AM »
Cormier vs the winner of AJ/Davis makes sense.

Offline Youth N Asia

• 2016 & 2017 Death Pool Reaper
  • STRONG STYLE!
« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2014, 03:55:12 AM »
Cormier vs the winner of AJ/Davis makes sense.

You would put Anthony Johnson in a potential #1 contender fight in his second fight back?

« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2014, 03:57:26 AM »
If he can come back and beat Phil Davis and Daniel Cormier back to back I have absolutely no issues with Johnson challenging for the belt.

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • wipeoff
« Reply #47 on: March 09, 2014, 04:51:53 AM »
Yep, and I have no problem giving him the chance to fight for the title because there's no way he would get through Cormier. Even Davis would probably wreck him but there are some questions about Phil's defense on the feet so who knows. Like i said before though, if Josh Koscheck could take him down and submit that easily, I can't imagine what a wrestler of the same caliber who is far bigger will do.

« Reply #48 on: March 10, 2014, 01:20:54 AM »
Davis got landed on by Vinny, if he can't get that fight to the ground (also not a gimme) he's going to get torched. I think AJ is more of a threat then people are giving him credit for.

« Reply #49 on: April 10, 2014, 02:56:31 AM »
Friday's Card

Main Card

Roy Nelson vs Antonio Rogerio Nogeuira
Tatsuya Kawijiri vs Clay Guida
John Howard vs Ryan LaFlare
Ramsey Nijem vs Beneil Dariush

Undercard

Thales Leities vs Trevor Smith
Alan Omer vs Jim Alers
Johnny Bedford vs Rani Yahya
Jared Rosholt vs Daniel Omielanczuk

Cancelled: Andrew Craig vs Chris Camozzi

This isn't the worst card in the world, sucks that Craig vs Camozzi was scratched, was really looking forward to that one. Hoping that Jim Alers looks good, he's been doing well on the local scene.

Also hear's hoping that Clay Guida recognizes that his job is likely on the line on tomorrow night and fights like he did against Diego and Bendo. UFC has been on an axing streak of guys who aren't exciting and make a lot of money, Guida averages around 40K a fight and the only thing he did recently worth watching was let Chad Mendes punch him in the face.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2014/4/10/5599844/return-to-abu-dhabi-should-raise-concerns-about-human-rights-issues

Excellent article by Brent Brookhouse of Bloody Elbow on the UFC's realtionship with the UAE and their reputation for human rights violations.