Author Topic: 15 Years Ago Today: Mankind Wins the Title + Finger Poke of Doom  (Read 4932 times)

Description: the god i'm old byron series

Online Epic Reine

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
Re: 15 Years Ago Today: Mankind Wins the Title + Finger Poke of Doom
« Reply #50 on: January 05, 2014, 03:17:55 PM »
Don't forget the drunk asshole who pulled Raven out of the ring mid promo on Thunder!

Offline Ed

• Ed
    • My Twitter Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 05, 2014, 05:36:10 PM »
There were a SHITLOAD of signs during those Attitude Era RAWs. And half of them were South Park related.

Different crowds from different eras are fun to look at for different reasons. For instance, it's fun watching New Generation shows for all the bowl haircuts and shirts with Razor Ramon's face on them.

Offline Ed

• Ed
    • My Twitter Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 05, 2014, 05:38:21 PM »
I don't even think they were WCW fans. They're not in the same realm as Southern rasslin fans who get  so get into it that they want to help Jerry Lawler. They were just idiots that liked pro wrestling because it was "cool" at the time and they're the same kind of mongloids that are into, I don't know, Duck Dynasty or Call of Duty. Maybe spousal abuse. I hate a lot of Monday Night War era crowds from both companies. Watching Royal Rumble '99 during my Rumble rewatch last year, it seemed like every fan was just there to get their sign on TV, flip off and/or crotch chop at the camera.

Hey, don't diss the crowd that had the front row bobbing their heads to Gangrel's theme.

Offline Guns N' BOses

• GunsNMoses
« Reply #53 on: January 05, 2014, 10:26:58 PM »
Were there any pops in WCW that rivaled those in WWF? The crowd always seemed more engaged in WWF around that time.

Offline Skywarp!

« Reply #54 on: January 06, 2014, 12:30:31 PM »
In the Attitude era, I distinctly recall Vince getting a full cup of soda on his blazer walking down to the ring. Same thing happened to Shamrock in his Corporation days.

The most annoying thing might not have even been fan garbage or run-ins--it was that period in '98-'99 when the crowds were laser pointer crazy. People would put dots all over Vince or whoever was cutting a promo in the ring. And when someone who had an entrance that cut out the house lights like Taker or Kane came out, the place was laser pointer crazy like it was Saturday Night at a Lazer Tag arena in '96.

For fan run-ins, I remember originally thinking the Steve Blackman one was real at first, although the fact they didn't cut away should be a tip off. But it makes me wonder if they only encouraged the behavior by painting it in a heroic light?

For real fan run-ins, I remember a tag match with Kane on the apron, where someone jumped the rail and Kane started kicking him in the head from the apron. This guy had all night to choose his moment, and he chooses the one where that huge tree trunk of a leg will repeatedly crash down on his head?

There was another where HHH and Vince were having a staredown on the ramp to end Raw. Some guy jumped between them and HHH tackled him immediately while the cameras cut away. Kinda ruined whatever mood they were going for with the story.

Online Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #55 on: January 06, 2014, 12:34:54 PM »
Can't believe all the complaints on production values of WCW blah blah blah.

All that matters was they were on SURGE

[img width=800

Fan: WHY CAN REY BEAT BIG GUYS BUT NOT KIDMAN
Kevin Nash: Kidman wears a wife beater

Online Epic Reine

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #56 on: January 07, 2014, 12:51:41 AM »
In the Attitude era, I distinctly recall Vince getting a full cup of soda on his blazer walking down to the ring. Same thing happened to Shamrock in his Corporation days.

The most annoying thing might not have even been fan garbage or run-ins--it was that period in '98-'99 when the crowds were laser pointer crazy. People would put dots all over Vince or whoever was cutting a promo in the ring. And when someone who had an entrance that cut out the house lights like Taker or Kane came out, the place was laser pointer crazy like it was Saturday Night at a Lazer Tag arena in '96.

For fan run-ins, I remember originally thinking the Steve Blackman one was real at first, although the fact they didn't cut away should be a tip off. But it makes me wonder if they only encouraged the behavior by painting it in a heroic light?

For real fan run-ins, I remember a tag match with Kane on the apron, where someone jumped the rail and Kane started kicking him in the head from the apron. This guy had all night to choose his moment, and he chooses the one where that huge tree truck of a leg will repeatedly crash down on his head?

There was another where HHH and Vince were having a staredown on the ramp to end Raw. Some guy jumped between them and HHH tackled him immediately while the cameras cut away. Kinda ruined whatever mood they were going for with the story.

Wow, I don't remember any of those fan run-ins. I think the guy running in during the Eddie/RVD ladder match might be the most known guy to do so. I remember when Jericho was undisputed champ, he was on the ring apron doing his entrance and some guy tried to run up towards him but security got him before he got to Y2J. I think I also remember Stephanie doing a promo and some fan jumping the rail and actually got on the ring apron before he was taken down.

Also, Vampiro and Finlay had a Falls Count Anywhere match on PPV in WCW in 2000 and they wind up going to the concessions stands that were PACKED with fans. They were barely able to fight through them and the fans even start attacking the ref! C'mon security!

Offline BPSS

• BurningPirateShipSex
« Reply #57 on: January 07, 2014, 12:56:29 AM »
I remember Vampiro drilling a couple of fans during that time period too.

Offline MarvinisaLunatic

• I'm Back
  • @Droford
« Reply #58 on: January 07, 2014, 12:58:00 AM »
Don't forget the drunk asshole who pulled Raven out of the ring mid promo on Thunder!
I was watching the Goldberg / Raven match for the us title where raven tried to leave and about 6 guys threw him back over the rail..I assume they were plants but it was funny ("those fans paid for those tix, they want to see a finish" or something like that)

Online Epic Reine

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #59 on: January 07, 2014, 01:01:41 AM »

Seriously, this wasn't a good idea for the people involved.

Offline strummer

« Reply #60 on: January 07, 2014, 01:45:14 AM »

Offline Ed

• Ed
    • My Twitter Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 07, 2014, 01:57:06 AM »
I think I also remember Stephanie doing a promo and some fan jumping the rail and actually got on the ring apron before he was taken down.

That must have been during the time period in 2002 where some "contest" was being held where whoever stripped Stephanie would receive cash. I think that was the reason she got written off of TV after WrestleMania X8.

Online Epic Reine

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #62 on: January 07, 2014, 02:01:28 AM »
Holy shit, I remember that!

"The Billion Dollar Booty Contest"

Offline Skywarp!

« Reply #63 on: January 07, 2014, 03:47:38 AM »
Haha, good job, Strummer! It's funny how my memory morphed Linda into Vince.

Online Epic Reine

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #64 on: January 07, 2014, 03:55:18 AM »
Wow, I don't remember any of those fan run-ins. I think the guy running in during the Eddie/RVD ladder match might be the most known guy to do so. I remember when Jericho was undisputed champ, he was on the ring apron doing his entrance and some guy tried to run up towards him but security got him before he got to Y2J.

Jericho threw a punch too!

Offline strummer

« Reply #65 on: January 07, 2014, 04:29:50 AM »
IIRC the Stephanie interview where the fan rushed the ring was edited off TV. It was on a Smackdown in very early 2002.  The "billion dollar booty" deal was rather pathetic.  Wrestling fans

Offline Avid Warehouse Enthusiast

• Laz
« Reply #66 on: January 07, 2014, 05:09:08 AM »
Re: Vampiro and fans
Halloween Havoc 2000. Him and Mike Awesome were brawling through the crowd, some dumbass starts clubbing one if them, and they both turn and just beat him down as security rushes over. It was glorious.
Maybe the real deep state was the friends we made along the way.

Offline Brodypedia

• BruiserBrody
  • CXF Writer
« Reply #67 on: January 07, 2014, 05:17:41 AM »

Online Epic Reine

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #68 on: January 09, 2014, 05:06:46 AM »
Did the PPV seriously end like that? With Hogan and Savage beating the shit out of this guy for two minutes?

This really should be split into its own thread. I don't even remember this one. Someone tried to interfere in the main event of the biggest show of the year. Kid's got balls.

Offline 2GOLD

« Reply #69 on: January 09, 2014, 05:07:51 AM »
Yes, the PPV ended that way. It was one of the strangest endings ever and I guess it was meant to prove um...Sting didn't care?

Offline Dobbs3K

• TSM's former ultimate heel.
« Reply #70 on: January 09, 2014, 12:00:16 PM »
I remember a random Nitro episode where Dean Malenko was wrestling someone... Maybe Psicosis? Some random dude ran into the ring and they both started stomping a mud hole in him as TNT quickly cut to commercial. Looked like the guy was getting roughed up pretty good.
"Tell Mr. Selig that next time that kid pitches, there's a good chance he gets one in the ribs." - Ryan Braun

Online Epic Reine

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #71 on: January 09, 2014, 02:45:48 PM »

Woah, even Mark Curtis gets him some!

Offline "Dot Com" Matt Postin (heel)

• Poster of the Year
« Reply #72 on: January 09, 2014, 03:00:12 PM »
That's how he got the WCW/nWo Revenge gig

• Laz
« Reply #73 on: January 09, 2014, 03:04:10 PM »
He's the guy that Foley was good friends with, right? Real name Brian Hildebrand, and was a legitimate tough guy?

• Poster of the Year
« Reply #74 on: January 09, 2014, 03:07:15 PM »
Yeah. He wanted to be a wrestler, but he was way too small, especially back then. Jericho's first book has a great story about eating medicinal pot brownies with him and Eddie and some others after the first Hildebrand charity show.

Offline CanadianGuitarist

« Reply #75 on: January 09, 2014, 04:22:15 PM »
The guy who ran the RVD-Eddie ladder match is the one I most vividly remember, although I suppose he probably had the most camera time too.

• Laz
« Reply #76 on: January 09, 2014, 10:53:33 PM »
That and he looked like Crash Holly.

Offline Skywarp!

« Reply #77 on: January 10, 2014, 01:09:16 AM »
Holy shit, that was fucking brazen. Eddie could really have gotten hurt. He's lucky the whole roster didn't come out and tune him up to drive a point home about fan run-ins.

Anyway, what was the deal with Hogan and Macho beating that guy up? Was that really a fan or was it a work?

Offline Skywarp!

« Reply #78 on: January 10, 2014, 01:19:25 AM »
Still the funniest.

Online Epic Reine

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #79 on: January 10, 2014, 01:20:59 AM »
Anyway, what was the deal with Hogan and Macho beating that guy up? Was that really a fan or was it a work?

Seemed like a shoot at first but I'm 99% sure it was a work with how the camera focuses on him, how long security takes to get into the ring, and how he was easily able to climb the cage like that.

Offline AA484

• CXF Writer
« Reply #80 on: January 10, 2014, 01:24:34 AM »

Offline AA484

• CXF Writer
« Reply #81 on: January 10, 2014, 01:26:56 AM »
I think the cage match interference was a shoot.  Those were the best looking punches Hogan ever threw.

I always thought one of the best interferences was when Virgil was climbing the cage to stop Savage from escaping and a fan comes up and grabs his leg and Virgil kicks him right in the face!

Online Epic Reine

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #82 on: January 10, 2014, 01:31:33 AM »

Love how Norton and Bagwell gang up on the guy after while Bischoff no sells.

Offline AA484

• CXF Writer
« Reply #83 on: January 10, 2014, 01:32:24 AM »
I forgot about this one!

Offline Skywarp!

« Reply #84 on: January 10, 2014, 01:51:40 AM »
OK, besides the disabled one that was patting Taker, that's the first guy in this thread I actually felt kind of sorry for.

Online Epic Reine

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #85 on: January 10, 2014, 02:01:51 AM »
Mental handicaps aside, if you're dumb enough to try and attack huge, roided up dudes just to put yourself over on TV then I have no sympathy for what happens to you. Imagine if someone ran in during a Hardcore Holly or William Regal match?

Offline Monsoon Classic

• Monsoon_Classic
    • My YouTube Channel with over 2,000 classic WWF & WCW videos
« Reply #86 on: January 10, 2014, 02:15:12 AM »
I always thought one of the best interferences was when Virgil was climbing the cage to stop Savage from escaping and a fan comes up and grabs his leg and Virgil kicks him right in the face!

I loved Superstar Billy Graham repeatedly referring to the fan as a child.
Check out my YouTube page for over 2,000 classic WWF & WCW videos:
https://www.youtube.com/user/MrMonsoonClassic/videos

Offline Damaramu

« Reply #87 on: January 10, 2014, 03:05:02 AM »
I love when Vince calls them a "special olympian".

I'd forgotten about the fans flipping the camera off during the attitude era until Kamala mentioned it. That was always terrible.

The sad thing about the death of WCW was that I actually really enjoyed it towards the end and they were putting on decent shows and PPVs.
I watched RAW. I thought it sucked. The usual problems and such.

Offline God King Emperor Kamala

• CXF Writer
« Reply #88 on: January 10, 2014, 04:18:27 AM »

Seemed like a shoot at first but I'm 99% sure it was a work with how the camera focuses on him, how long security takes to get into the ring, and how he was easily able to climb the cage like that.
Yeah, I think it's been confirmed that it's a work. I've never seen another fan run in that wasn't somewhat ignored. Why would they do a close up on the fan and have the commentators talk about him for a few minutes?

Only argument I have in favor of it being a shoot is why would you work something so dumb? Only reason I can think of is "It's because it was WCW and they were stupid."

Offline Detective Ventriloquist

• My name's not fucking Warren
  • Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #89 on: January 10, 2014, 05:16:17 AM »
Still the funniest.

This one is fantastic. Batista's reaction of doing a double take to figure out what happened is priceless.
2012 TRTSM Fantasy Hockey Champion

Offline Brodypedia

• BruiserBrody
  • CXF Writer
« Reply #90 on: January 10, 2014, 09:29:13 AM »
Still the funniest.

This was fake.  It was during a brief storyline about RAW being out of control that was quickly dropped.  Didn't they also have lights drop or something or am I thinking of a different incident?

Also Paul Bearer was attacked by a fan on RAW in 1997 and taken down by a leg tackle. 

Offline Dramatic Pizza

• brock lock
« Reply #91 on: January 10, 2014, 09:44:25 AM »
I think it's Brock Lesnar guy doing the machine gunnin'.

Offline The Amazing Rando

• Apparently Smart?
    • Opposite Attractions
« Reply #92 on: January 10, 2014, 09:46:49 AM »
Still the funniest.

This was fake.  It was during a brief storyline about RAW being out of control that was quickly dropped.  Didn't they also have lights drop or something or am I thinking of a different incident?

Also Paul Bearer was attacked by a fan on RAW in 1997 and taken down by a leg tackle. 

When Regal was at the height of his awesomeness as GM (his 'firing' is what led to the above video) he stopped Raw early and shut everything down right before 11 PM because nobody was giving him any respect.
A Horrible Premise - Episode 48: TEN CORGIS TAPED TOGETHER - an improv comedy game show podcast about creating 'horrible' tv shows.

Opposite Attractions - a comedy design podcast where two idiots design their very own theme parks. SEASON 5 HAS BEGUN!

Bro, Do You Even Tweet?

• CXF Writer
« Reply #93 on: January 10, 2014, 02:31:14 PM »
...did people actually think the video of the fan sneaking backstage to mark for Batista was a shoot? Do you think WWE would have uploaded it on their YouTube channel if it was?

Offline Skywarp!

« Reply #94 on: January 10, 2014, 05:23:14 PM »
It may be fake, but it still makes me laugh, probably because everyone involved did a pretty convincing job.

Offline Saints_Fan_H

« Reply #95 on: January 11, 2014, 02:23:22 AM »
Unless Batista wasn't in on it? Just spitballing...

As far as shit being thrown, I was at an ECW house show in 1998 when a full 32oz cup of soda and ice his D-Von Dudley square in the chest. As it happened, D-von was LOOKING DEAD AT THE SONOFABITCH that did it. So he stopped mid brawl with Spike and pointed the guy out until security dragged him out.

Can't stop a match on live TV like that, so it was cool in a way.

• CXF Writer
« Reply #96 on: January 11, 2014, 02:26:48 AM »
It may be fake, but it still makes me laugh, probably because everyone involved did a pretty convincing job.
Yeah, it was really well done. Good job by Batista and Mattdotcom the dude who played the fan.

• Poster of the Year
« Reply #97 on: January 11, 2014, 03:34:49 AM »
I'm way better at doing the machine gun taunt