Author Topic: MMA General Discussion 2014  (Read 65885 times)

Description:

Offline ViciousFish

• CXF Writer
MMA General Discussion 2014
« on: January 04, 2014, 06:57:57 AM »
Is it really fair to say Dominic Cruz is undefeated in 6 years when he hasn't fought for the last 2 years?
Matt, don't be a fag. Post some huge cocks.

Offline MikeofEvil

• Beware of my mongooses!
    • Mike Brooks, Sci-Fi Author
Re: MMA General Discussion 2014
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 07:38:22 AM »
Is it really fair to say Dominic Cruz is undefeated in 6 years when he hasn't fought for the last 2 years?

By that logic, I'm undefeated in nearly 32 years. And yes, it's a fair point.

I'm an angel. I kill firstborns while their mamas watch. I turn cities into salt. I even, when I feel like it, rip the souls from little girls, and from now till kingdom come, the only thing you can count on in your existence is never understanding why.

Offline The Art of Rasslin'

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • wipeoff
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2014, 01:45:14 AM »
http://www.sherdog.com/blog/Video-Joe-Rogans-Top-8-UFC-HeadKick-Knockouts-61707

I posted a comment on a Sherdog video, feel free to share.

I can't believe a guy can be that big, and jump around like he does what a great athlete!

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • wipeoff
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2014, 01:20:59 AM »
UFC welterweight Matt Brown got a few pals together for the inaugural episode of his podcast. In an obviously relaxed setting joined by a few like-minded friends, Brown began opening up on his thoughts on women's MMA.

"I just think this, if I'm [going] to pay $60 for a Pay-Per-View to watch women fight they should at least be topless."

"How many knockouts do you see in women's fights? It's not really my thing, I respect what they do, but look, they don't have the body type or the power, all that s**t, for knockouts. If you're not a good grappler in women's MMA then you're behind. It's no different than the 125 [pound] division of men's MMA in that they're just really not built for knockouts."

I can't believe a guy can be that big, and jump around like he does what a great athlete!

Offline BPSS

• BurningPirateShipSex
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2014, 04:17:16 AM »
UFC welterweight Matt Brown got a few pals together for the inaugural episode of his podcast. In an obviously relaxed setting joined by a few like-minded friends, Brown began opening up on his thoughts on women's MMA.

"I just think this, if I'm [going] to pay $60 for a Pay-Per-View to watch women fight they should at least be topless."

"How many knockouts do you see in women's fights? It's not really my thing, I respect what they do, but look, they don't have the body type or the power, all that s**t, for knockouts. If you're not a good grappler in women's MMA then you're behind. It's no different than the 125 [pound] division of men's MMA in that they're just really not built for knockouts."

Offline ViciousFish

• CXF Writer
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2014, 05:38:55 AM »
That's gonna cost him some money.

Matt Hughes would probably yell at him too but he most likely feels the same.

Offline NoCalMike

• Welcome to Prime Time, bitch!
    • EVIL EPISODES PODCAST!
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2014, 09:57:31 AM »
CBS lands 8 fight deal one Titan FC.
Get your TV Horror Fix w/the Podcast EVIL EPISODES! Listen at:
http://www.legionpodcasts.com/
http://www.horrorphilia.com

Offline Youth N Asia

• 2016 & 2017 Death Pool Reaper
  • STRONG STYLE!
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2014, 05:45:54 AM »
Cat Zingano's husband just committed suicide.

Offline NoCalMike

• EVIL EPISODES PODCAST!
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2014, 08:17:44 AM »
Cat Zingano's husband just committed suicide.

Rousey vs. Tate 3 in May?

Offline Beer Baron

• I have a new hat.
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2014, 08:43:37 AM »
Rousey vs Davis by May.

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • wipeoff
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2014, 05:04:14 AM »

Offline NoCalMike

• EVIL EPISODES PODCAST!
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2014, 12:58:36 PM »
So with the recent war of words between GSP & Dana, I guess I am wondering who picks up the tab for these stricter drug tests?  Is that a fighter cost or a UFC cost?  When GSP asked for VADA testing, Hendricks countered with suggesting WADA which is the highest standard available.  It is also the most expensive.  I am not sure the exact cost, but I believe since the UFC doesn't require WADA, that kind of testing would come out of the fighter's pocket?

Should UFC be paying for drug tests?

Offline cheex incarnate

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2014, 06:06:19 AM »
Just to clarify, I believe that WADA and VADA are essentially the same thing. WADA is the group who administers the VADA test (I may be a little off on that, but in any case I don't think WADA is a certain type of test that can be given). This was part of the reason Hendrix looked a little foolish in his refusal to do the advanced testing even if GSP were to pay for it (his explanation on the MMA Hour of "I don't want to know if GSP is juicing because then the fight will get taken away from me", was a little dumb too).

In any case, I think the organization should be the one to foot the bill for the stricter test. There may be a few conflicts with states that administer their own test, but in the case where the UFC are the ones who set the standards why wouldn't they want to have the best available? This is not to say that I think the current UFC-led testing are particularly subpar (they caught Rothwell and I believe Bigfoot with the UFC tests), but a more comprehensive test is obviously the "more respectable" way to go.

Offline Lord of The Curry

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2014, 07:54:27 AM »
I greatly enjoyed Wednesday's show on the whole.

- I think it was Brent Brookhouse who talked about cashing in their Lorenz Larkin fan card. Yeah. He shows flashes of brilliance but that was such a frustrating fight to watch. Credit to Tavares doe.

- Holy fuck Dillashaw looked good. That was a completely awesome to watch outclassing.

- Oh, Romero. The guy punches a dude in the dick, gets mud butt, gets outwrestled by somebody who has no business doing it and still manages to pull it off. I think we should look into sponsering this dude, guys.

- Rockhold looked fab, those kicks were brutal. I love when dudes with soccer backgrounds just blast them out there and his accuracy was pinpoint.

Offline RavishingRickRudo

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2014, 09:24:13 AM »
Romero has won his last two fights in the strangest ways.  Usually with hot prospects, they finish their fights too early and the question mark is always on what happens when they get taken to the third round.  With Romero, we know he's game in the third round, the question is on the first two rounds.  I've never seen such a slow starter as him before.  What happens when he meets a guy with a gas tank?    Rockhold calling out vitor immediately after finishing was awesome, I love when fighters can't get over losses.  And more chatter should be on dillashaw, he looked fantastic and kept at it till the final bell.

« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2014, 10:04:03 AM »
Smolka looked good for such a young guy. His stand-up is smooth and he uses his range well, nice scrambles on the ground too. Would like to see his guard game get tested.

Offline AA484

• CXF Writer
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2014, 11:18:32 PM »
Do we have a mod for the MMA folder?  The old Fight Night card is still pinned and the new one never even had a thread made for it.

Offline Brodypedia

• BruiserBrody
  • CXF Writer
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2014, 11:46:05 PM »
Sonnen and Wand still at war:

Chael's response:
My Pet Idiot posted this earlier He got no RETWEETS so let's help. Keep him relevant until I can retire him in July.
Invalid Tweet ID

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2014, 03:12:29 AM »
Anthony Johnson smoked Mike Kyle bad at the WSOF show last night. UFC should pick him up, he's 6-0 since being cut and 205 is the thinnest division there is.

Online Firmino of the 909

• Admin
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2014, 04:30:02 AM »
Do we have a mod for the MMA folder?  The old Fight Night card is still pinned and the new one never even had a thread made for it.

It's me but I've been lazy. I'll fix all this shit when I get home.

koab [8:27 PM]
damn i thought you guys were good little cucks who would shit themselfs so a POC could peacefully protest

Offline Brodypedia

• BruiserBrody
  • CXF Writer
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2014, 02:09:31 AM »

Frank Dux footage

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • wipeoff
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2014, 02:17:47 AM »
Cool vid, nice find.

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • wipeoff
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2014, 09:07:43 AM »
Where is the thread for the fights this weekend? Blablahblahfolderisdyingblahblahblah

Camp and opponent

"im calm. The fight starts with the weight cut, but thank god im doing really well. I just have to keep doing what im doing, make weight and fight. I think he deserved the title shot. The respect is there, but but were gonna go for it the moment we enter the cage. ill will".

Mood because of the weight cut

"it affects the mood, because you dont eat or drink. But i am used to it, its part of the job. This weak has been easy. I have very little weight to loose and i feel well. This time the weight cut is going very easily".

Lamas and stand up fighting

"I hope he seeks a stand up fight. If he does, ill be prepared. Wherever the fight goes, ill do my best and ill win".

Fighting again on superbowl weekend

"Yes. I am a football afficionado. For me its the best sport there is, its a bigger passion than soccer and MMA. I love it and i am a fan of the new england patriots, but they lost to the broncos and didnt make it to the final. God willing i'll be there at the game cheering for both teams.

Last year you picked the winning team. And this year?

"This year its very difficult. Payton manning is playing really well, but im going with the seahawks. They have russel wilson and marshawn. Marshawn is the man".

You like football more than soccer?

"Sure. Brazilian soccer is shameful. They have to learn with the americans how to put on and event. A lot of things that are happening with the brazilian soccer are shameful. like now, with the national championship, that has ended and nobody knows how it ended [long story really not worth translating].

Passion for football

"it started when i went to the us to fight and watched it on tv. I used to watch a lot of NBA games, then i started following football and understanding the rules. Once you understand the rules, its an addictive sport".

fight with pettis

A lot has been said, so were are expecting it. But 1st i have to beat lamas, then i can think about pettis.

I love the fact that he's a football nut, but that Patriots? CMON BRO

Offline Brodypedia

• BruiserBrody
  • CXF Writer
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2014, 01:54:15 AM »
No one even bothered to peep about Wandy and Sonnen's brawl? 

---

« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2014, 02:47:41 AM »
Bolo must be 100.  He was like 70 when he was fighting in the kumite.

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • wipeoff
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2014, 03:03:38 AM »

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • wipeoff
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2014, 04:01:35 AM »
Freddie Roach on GSP:

“He told me he wanted to take two years off and I told him two years was retirement. Let’s stick with one year right now and see how you feel and if you feel hungry enough to get back in there, we’ll do it. If not, we’ll call it a day. He had headaches and so forth. You don’t want to hear that. It’s really easy to make a decision after a tough fight like that and after Dana talking really bad about him, getting him depressed and so forth, dragging him down. Most promoters would try to build you back up, but Dana’s not that kind of cat. I’d think about going to another company if that was me, but UFC is a monopoly, it’s the only game in town. I’m sure if he wants to come back, Dana will be the first one to invite him."

Offline Youth N Asia

• STRONG STYLE!
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2014, 02:51:01 PM »
It sounds like police are currently surrounding Thiago Silva's home.

Offline HSJ

• misogynist at heart
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2014, 03:21:03 PM »
He'll come out swinging.

DTF

Offline Youth N Asia

• STRONG STYLE!
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2014, 04:26:30 PM »
Per mmajunkie

Silva was reportedly involved in a dispute at Pablo Popovitch Mixed Martial Arts Academy earlier in the evening, which Florida’s Local10.com identified only by address. The Brazilian slugger was apparently armed at the time of the incident.

Silva then reportedly left the scene and retreated to his apartment at Coral Heights Court in Ft. Lauderdale, Fla., where he barricaded himself inside his residence before ultimately surrendering to authorities, which included a S.W.A.T. team that was called to the scene.

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • wipeoff
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2014, 10:51:46 PM »
'Stand your ground'.

Offline AA484

• CXF Writer
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2014, 11:13:10 PM »

Online Firmino of the 909

• Admin
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2014, 04:35:05 AM »
He got arrested for attempted murder. His contract, and obviously his life, are terminated.

koab [8:27 PM]
damn i thought you guys were good little cucks who would shit themselfs so a POC could peacefully protest

Offline Beer Baron

• I have a new hat.
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2014, 06:57:44 AM »
He's a soldier

« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2014, 03:11:54 AM »
There's actually dudes on twitter with #FreeThiagoSilva shit going on. Some people just shouldn't be allowed to use the internet.

Offline ViciousFish

• CXF Writer
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2014, 07:45:23 AM »
War Machine said something along the lines of nothing Silva did was wrong, he just lives in the wrong country.

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • wipeoff
« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2014, 01:39:53 AM »
I have huge respect for Bisping for being so open about this but:

"After the fight, I don't remember anything.  I remember being in the showers and I didn't have a clue what was going on," Bisping stated.  "I was saying to my manager at the time, 'I can't be knocked out cause I'm not fighting for another two months, what the hell are you talking about?' and then these people come and go 'Michael we need to take you to the hospital'.  I'm like I'm not going to the hospital and then I'd say again, 'what's going on', I'd just keep repeating myself."

In the Octagon, Bisping had to be told repeatedly by cut man Jacob 'Stitch' Duran that he was knocked out in the fight, but even in that moment he has no actual memory of the conversation taking place.  What Bisping thought had happened was almost a dreamlike state where he believed he was attending the event along with one of his teammates and was asked to step in and compete last minute.

I have never laughed so hard.

http://msn.foxsports.com/ufc/haymaker/michael-bisping-still-doesn-t-remember-being-ko-d-by-dan-henderson-020614

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • wipeoff
« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2014, 11:07:05 AM »
Glibert Melendez has signed a deal with Bellator, but the UFC has a right to match.

Offline Youth N Asia

• STRONG STYLE!
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2014, 11:24:08 AM »
I don't mind this. I'm all for Bellator building a stronger roster.

Offline NoCalMike

• EVIL EPISODES PODCAST!
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2014, 04:44:40 PM »
Yeah I think Melendez did enough in his loss(win) against Henderson and the exciting brawl vs. Sanchez, to prove he is legit

Offline Brodypedia

• BruiserBrody
  • CXF Writer
« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2014, 01:48:29 AM »
No PPV thread again?

« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2014, 02:57:33 AM »
That's some of my favourite trash talk ever. 

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • wipeoff
« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2014, 02:09:19 AM »
http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2014/2/17/5420508/former-ufc-fighter-nate-quarry-the-ufc-cares-nothing-about-the

People have no clue from the outside what it's like to fight for the UFC. After spending 10-15 years chasing your dream only to see that the company it's been your dream to fight for cares nothing about the fighters and only cares about the bottom line.

When I was fighting for the UFC we got X-Mas presents like an iPod. A very bottom of the line iPod but it was still cool. Now the guys get a gift certificate to the UFC store and can use it ONE day. Any money they don't spend on that day is forfeited.

A fighter gets to use the gym at the hotel he's fighting at for free. The cornermen and everyone with him have to pay. So I'm helping Leben make weight the day of weigh ins and have to pay to go sit in the sauna with him. The UFC couldn't say, "The fighter gets 3 people to go into the gym with him the week of the fight."

That's just nickel and dime stuff.

With every little bit they try to squeeze out of the fighters, the more the other organizations will look more attractive.

I'm incredibly grateful for the opportunity to fight for the UFC and everything I have besides my daughter has come from fighting. But let's not fool ourselves. It's not a charity. It's a business. And they are doing everything they can to make money. The fighters are just a product to use and discard. Every up and coming fighter is the best ever. Every ex-fighter who then expresses an opinion is a coward, loser, etc, etc.

I fought for the world title for $10,000. Not a penny more. No bonus. No cut of the PPV. The gate alone was 3.5 million dollars. The third highest gate in UFC history at the time. And they must have loved the fight cuz they show the final punch at the start of EVERY UFC PPV. :-)

Great insight into the business of MMA from Nate Quarry.

Offline HSJ

• misogynist at heart
« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2014, 02:16:31 AM »
Nate has come off as really bitter the past few years, but I'm sure the truth is somewhere in the middle.

DTF

Offline Youth N Asia

• STRONG STYLE!
« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2014, 03:12:01 AM »
Nate has come off as really bitter the past few years, but I'm sure the truth is somewhere in the middle.

It usually is. But as time goes on I find myself siding with the fighters more as opposed to what Dana has to say. I'm just getting tired of his act and think the UFC would actually be better off with someone else as the figurehead. Let's not sign Askren, but we'll give some dude with 4 fights a co-main event slot. Let's also let Gilbert walk, whom by all accounts is the uncrowned champion when he beat on Ben Henderson.

Offline HSJ

• misogynist at heart
« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2014, 03:25:55 AM »
I understand Dana talking out of his ass in certain situations (Gil, Askren, etc) because thats what Dana does.

But how many CURRENT UFC fighters really complain about pay? Everyone that does is either a 1-3 prelim guy or more than 5-years retired.

I train with a couple of guys in the UFC and while I've never directly asked how their finances are, while its nice to make more money, nobody is hurting.

DTF

Offline Youth N Asia

• STRONG STYLE!
« Reply #46 on: February 19, 2014, 03:29:41 AM »
I get that the pay has improved, it had to. I'm sure there are plenty of current fighters are unhappy with their pay, but won't speak up.

Offline AA484

• CXF Writer
« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2014, 04:20:44 AM »
The amateur ranks are even worse.  If you think the NCAA exploits their athletes this makes it look like the local Boys and Girls Club by comparison.  It's such a fucking racket that I refuse to even corner for fights which, by the way, requires a fifty dollar "corner license" to be renewed at the start of every calendar year.  So, yes, if you buy one in December, you have to get it renewed before you can corner again in January.  This is failing to even mention the "promoters" which are typically scummy bar owners who don't give a shit about the fighters or safety.  I fought an amateur fight in a strip club once and had to clean myself up in the public bathroom afterwards because they didn't even have a doc on site.  Yeah, that's sanitary.  I guess tough shit for me if I would have pulled an Anderson Silva.

Offline HSJ

• misogynist at heart
« Reply #48 on: February 19, 2014, 04:23:46 AM »
There are very few and far inbetween "good" ammy promoters out there.

DTF

Offline AA484

• CXF Writer
« Reply #49 on: February 19, 2014, 04:27:12 AM »
I assume you meant to have "good" in there somewhere.