Author Topic: MMA General Discussion 2014  (Read 65896 times)

Description:

Offline Lord of The Curry

Re: MMA General Discussion 2014
« Reply #1100 on: April 28, 2015, 01:52:01 AM »
Michele Waterson to the UFC is official. Great pick-up, there are tons of awesome fights for her at 115.

Online Cool, Bad, & Handsome

• KOAB
« Reply #1101 on: April 29, 2015, 06:21:16 AM »

:o

Offline The Art of Rasslin'

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • wipeoff
« Reply #1102 on: April 29, 2015, 06:23:49 AM »
I posted that in the chat yesterday, I was so disappointed. I'm a huge fan of Faber and his hippie organic lifestyle but he kind of went too far here.

I can't believe a guy can be that big, and jump around like he does what a great athlete!

Online Firmino of the 909

• Admin
« Reply #1103 on: April 29, 2015, 06:26:08 AM »
He's gonna get polio or some shit when he goes to fight in the Phillippines and we'll see what that moron scum thinks of vaccines after that.

koab [8:27 PM]
damn i thought you guys were good little cucks who would shit themselfs so a POC could peacefully protest

• KOAB
« Reply #1104 on: April 29, 2015, 06:39:13 AM »
I posted that in the chat yesterday, I was so disappointed. I'm a huge fan of Faber and his hippie organic lifestyle but he kind of went too far here.

I don't know what you expected. Californian pothead raised by hippie parents into that raw organic lifestyle is like the main type of person I mention whenever we go into the anti-vaccine demo whenever we talk about it.

« Reply #1105 on: May 01, 2015, 06:22:32 AM »
Diego Sanchez will be attempting a drop to 145 lbs is going to kill himself.

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • wipeoff
« Reply #1106 on: May 09, 2015, 03:30:40 PM »
it's a fuckin joke that Dana parades a broken former champion out in a main event like this. In 2015, Mark Hunt is facing a failed former baseball player. This sport has to be dying or at least ready to hit a downturn.

I've been saying it for years, but you pay them peanuts and no new athletes will look at it as a viable alternative.

I can't believe a guy can be that big, and jump around like he does what a great athlete!

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • wipeoff
« Reply #1107 on: May 09, 2015, 03:35:32 PM »
This is disgusting to watch, they're just letting him get hit in the head repeatedly. Dana can't pretend to care about the welfare of fighters when he allows a guy to tack on a ridiculous, unnecessary beating at the end of his career.

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • wipeoff
« Reply #1108 on: May 09, 2015, 03:40:09 PM »

• Admin
« Reply #1109 on: May 09, 2015, 03:47:33 PM »
This fight was a fucking disgrace, full stop.

I'm disgusted that I watched that. The referee should be banned from the sport.

damn i thought you guys were good little cucks who would shit themselfs so a POC could peacefully protest

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • wipeoff
« Reply #1110 on: May 09, 2015, 03:58:53 PM »
That Hendo/Boestch main is really gonna propel a new star.

Hendo's chin has been dusted in the past two fights after being dinged for about fifteen years. How is he allowed to fight? The UFC is so dependent on these old stars, but Dana will talk about the things they do for fighter safety and how the UFC is the fastest growing sport in the world.

The sad thing is I don't even think Boestch will be able to finish him off, so Dan might get another shot to be destroyed by a real KO artist :/

Offline Amy pats fan

• P dot Roy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • hashtag trashbag
« Reply #1111 on: May 09, 2015, 04:24:36 PM »
This is disgusting to watch, they're just letting him get hit in the head repeatedly. Dana can't pretend to care about the welfare of fighters when he allows a guy to tack on a ridiculous, unnecessary beating at the end of his career.

Blame the ref who had many opportunities to stop it, or Hunt's corner who kept letting him go out there to get slaughtered

Lots of things to blame Dana for, this isn't one.  He wasn't even there, and I'm sure he was pissed watching it.  Bet he rips that ref a new one

• KOAB
« Reply #1112 on: May 09, 2015, 04:45:25 PM »

• KOAB
« Reply #1113 on: May 09, 2015, 04:57:02 PM »
The cage was only just legalized in Victoria. This is going to be in all the papers tomorrow showing how violent MMA is so it's gonna be a tough week for MMA in the Aussie media.

THE TIME IS NOW

• KOAB
« Reply #1114 on: May 09, 2015, 05:33:25 PM »

• Admin
« Reply #1115 on: May 09, 2015, 06:36:58 PM »

Blame the ref who had many opportunities to stop it, or Hunt's corner who kept letting him go out there to get slaughtered

Lots of things to blame Dana for, this isn't one.  He wasn't even there, and I'm sure he was pissed watching it.  Bet he rips that ref a new one

You know how you stop that shit is before it happens. You don't put a 41 year old, massively deteriorated Mark Hunt in there with a young lion that has cardio for days. It was just idiotic matchmaking. Worst of all it wasn't even on television, so anything the UFC would have "gotten" from Miocic pounding Hunt is negligible. No new star was made. That being said it does serve as a great reminder, and I'm gonna use this as a launch point to say something else I was thinking about earlier. I love MMA but there are some serious problems that are only going to get worse going forward, and I don't think the direction of the sport is anything less than very bad.

First and foremost the UFC is a promotional company and while that's hard to accept, that's what it is. Everything with them is about making money for themselves. Now, I don't think it takes a genius to figure this out, but their fight model is really screwed up and about to take a nosedive. The only guys they have on the roster who can get people in the building in places halfway around the world and even in the United States are guys like Mark Hunt. Guys whose best days are long past. This epidemic even persists in the other weight classes in which they have young champions. Or rather did until Jones was stripped. Fighters like Mark Hunt, Fabricio Werdum, Big Nog, Overeem, Barnett, Mir, Nelson, Cro Cop, Arlovski compose the majority of the weight class. I almost want to throw Junior in there as well because he has also deteriorated greatly. I can't possibly be the only one who sees the problem with this.

At middleweight we haven't seen the champion fight somebody in their athletic prime in 3-4 years. Other than Luke Rockhold, neither are any of his potential challengers.

At light heavyweight, this doesn't apply quite as much because Jones did fight young competition, but just look at the rankings and the positions in which the UFC has to put those guys on their card. Right now they are reliant on guys like Shogun, Hendo, Hashad, Rampage, Cormier (who is 36), and Glover (who is 35) to make money in that weight class. They have absolutely no young, quality 205 pounders in their ranks.

The other weight classes have a good mix, but they don't draw as much. The numbers show this. One of the massive problems with the UFC is a lack of young fighters who are going to take the spots of these guys when they're gone. Of course, this isn't only a UFC problem, it's one of many problems that plague MMA.  The UFC likes to trumpet how much MMA has grown, but where's the growth?

One of the ways which MMA has grown is that the UFC has become bloated, showcasing lesser quality fighters with regularity. Zuffa's pockets have grown. The only real growth in terms of fighters is that the lighter weight classes have grown tremendously and WMMA has exploded. Although to what degree WMMA has exploded is in question as the only real growth is shown when Ronda Rousey fights as she's the only person who can main event or draw people to a show.  As for the lighter weight classes, I love them. A lot of people do too. In the US, the biggest market for MMA there is, they don't draw. In Canada they don't draw.

Related to that is why MMA hasn't grown. Here's what I think. I think the UFC's destruction of companies not only permanently killed some markets out there, but that bringing all of those things under their thumb has homogenized the MMA product too much. I think this narrative that the UFC pushed about MMA going through a boom period worldwide was going to cause better athletes to choose MMA was fucking bullshit. Why would a better athlete choose to do this unless they didn't have any options? Fighter pay is shit. If you want to fight, you can be a boxer and make tons more. We've been over this many times though. Anyone breaking into MMA does so because they're either obsessed with the sport for some reason or don't have any other options in life. The actual cost of being trained and going around circuits to actually get in the UFC makes it so that nobody could maintain any quality of life. So, why would anyone choose to do this? I think the rankings and prospect quality in MMA right now make my point for me. I think the days of an athlete like GSP, Cain Velasquez, or Jon Jones entering the sport at those weight classes are over. The rampant steroid abuse is another issue that I don't really want to get into, but I have no doubt it keeps people away from the sport.

I think that anyone having a monopoly on something leads to stagnation. WWE is a great example. I know it's two different things, but I feel very strongly that the UFC is equal to WWE in so many respects. They're even matching each other in saying that fighters/wrestlers can't find a sponsor to put on their shorts/trunks. Bellator is getting stronger, they may get more strong due to the Reebok deal, and I think that would be great for the sport all things considered. Cross-promotional intrigue is one of the things that keeps combat sports going. If they don't, then...the sport is left in the hands of a group that doesn't build towards big fights, doesn't pay their rank and file fighters enough to quit their day jobs, and doesn't allow them to make enough money to quit their day jobs by putting ads on their shorts.

I also don't think the UFC is capable of creating stars. Part of that is cross-promotional intrigue that doesn't exist anymore, and related to that is that they scooped up their competition. The same thing happened to WWE when they scooped up the territories and all the guys from that territory era retired. There was nobody left to create stars for them. Another reason they aren't capable of creating stars is because they've forgotten that stars are created by keeping two guys separated for so long that people clamor to see a fight. Then the winner is a star, and the loser is a lesser star that you can build back up later. The UFC likes to blame piracy for their lack of PPV success, but I think that's absolutely untrue. How many PPV buys did Floyd-Manny do? Those guys were kept apart for so long, the match was supposedly past its sell-by date, and people were talking about them clearing 4 million buys. A gate of over 70 million. When you build a fight, it sells. When you don't, people will watch it on their computer. If not for stream sites those people wouldn't even be watching it on their computer, they shouldn't fool themselves that people would buy their shows. How many of the shows they put on in 2014 would you guys have bought?

As far as boxing goes, Canelo Alvarez is a great example of this. Did losing to Floyd Mayweather do anything to his drawing power? No, it didn't. He drew 30-35k to a baseball stadium tonight, and he's the future of boxing on PPV. If he fights GGG or Cotto on PPV later this year they'll probably clear a million buys. One of the things the UFC actually needs to learn from boxing is that boxing's greed has been the thing that kept it going for so long. Their greed was focused in different ways though, in the case of Zuffa it's to line their pockets as quickly as possible with no long-term vision. Boxing promoters are always looking towards the future. Their greed forces them to as that's the only way they can sign top prospects, cultivate them into stars, and make loads of money off them. The UFC really needs to learn from something like that, but I don't know how. Fighter pay is too low for starters, and you'd never see them sign somebody with an amateur background to a large deal with 0 fights under their belt because there's no structure. There is that structure in boxing. The best the UFC could do in that regard would be to immediately sign Olympians who want to become mixed martial artists and develop those fighters under their banner. Guys like Cormier and Cejudo should have been doing all of their fighting under the Zuffa banner. Some will bust and some won't, but they need to establish pipelines for the good of the sport.

Anyway, to sum up this late night rambling, the UFC doesn't really see it that way, and seeing as they've monopolized the sport, at this moment in time the UFC = MMA. I don't really think that the UFC has in mind the good of the sport, and when these older guys retire I have no idea what it's going to look like. I sort of expect Dana and the Ferttitas to cash out and let the whole thing be left to the vultures once that happens. They're destroying the sport just as much as they grew it. I feel like Zuffa has no long-term vision for the sport because they're not in it for the long term. By the way, the end of that Reebok deal is about when they won't have the ability to make money off the fighters under their thumb anymore, as an enormous amount of them will have retired with no prospects on the way. At the root of any successful sport, the people participating in that sport have to get something out of it and that's not really the case here.

• Admin
« Reply #1116 on: May 09, 2015, 06:48:55 PM »
Also, the UFC has worn down a lot of their hardcore fans over nonsense like the Reebok deal, putting garbage cards in their biggest markets, promoting awful matchups as main events like Boetsch/Hendo, promoting fights that will never happen, constant steroid use amongst fighters (I blame them for not implementing stringent testing a while ago) , protecting certain people who partake in criminal activity while not doing the same with others, charging too much for PPV's, and oversaturating the market with their shows. Once you start losing the hardcores, the end result is nowhere good. They're losing me and by the look of it they've lost a lot of the people here judging by what I read from people in the chat tonight and our current activity level in this folder.

Does this sound like anything else that people talk about on this forum?

I love this shit, but the future of this sport is fucking grim. It's upsetting just like that fight I saw.

Offline Zetterberg is Go

« Reply #1117 on: May 10, 2015, 01:52:21 AM »
Finest kind there and hard to argue a lot of it. I would call myself a semi-hardcore and they've worn me down too. Too many cards, shoddy main events and very few intriguing stars left. Look at last night. Two fights out of twelve featured "ranked" fighters. Fight Pass or not that is embarrassing. And I still don't get stacking every Vegas card while leaving hungry markets with the scraps. Doesn't look good for the future prospects of the sport at all. Guess we'll hope guys jump ship to Bellator to light a competitive fire.

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • wipeoff
« Reply #1118 on: May 10, 2015, 02:27:42 AM »
unreal

« Reply #1119 on: May 10, 2015, 03:24:27 AM »
But hey, Whittaker! Amirightguys?

• KOAB
« Reply #1120 on: May 10, 2015, 10:48:19 AM »

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • wipeoff
« Reply #1121 on: May 10, 2015, 11:10:54 PM »
Posted in the reebok thread.

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • wipeoff
« Reply #1122 on: May 11, 2015, 04:21:46 AM »
http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2015/5/11/8584857/ufc-adlan-amagov-officially-announces-retirement-from-mma-competition

We kind of all knew this was the case but it still sucks that it's made official  :'(

« Reply #1123 on: May 11, 2015, 08:11:13 AM »
Fucking religion. You ruined Fedor and now this!!!

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • wipeoff
« Reply #1124 on: May 11, 2015, 10:18:24 AM »

Offline ViciousFish

• CXF Writer
« Reply #1125 on: May 13, 2015, 01:45:40 PM »
This season of TUF has been brutal.
Matt, don't be a fag. Post some huge cocks.

Offline Youth N Asia

• 2016 & 2017 Death Pool Reaper
  • STRONG STYLE!
« Reply #1126 on: May 13, 2015, 03:18:14 PM »
This season of TUF has been brutal.

I've been meaning to post for the last couple weeks asking if anyone was watching. I was done after a single episode. The whole format this year is goofy and confusing. And focusing around the team owners does not make for compelling tv. During the weigh ins and stare down for the first boring fight you had one of the fighters go to the extent of "The fighters stare down wasn't that big of a deal. I WAS WATCHING THE OWNERS STARE DOWN!" Then you get a who cares shot of the team owners staring at each other during this.

No interest. I'll tune back in at the live finale.

Offline ViciousFish

• CXF Writer
« Reply #1127 on: May 13, 2015, 03:37:55 PM »
I've watched all 4 episodes and I don't know if I'll watch any more. None of the fighters seem to give a shit when they're in the cage and focusing on the owners is just stupid.

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • wipeoff
« Reply #1128 on: May 14, 2015, 02:06:09 AM »
lol this was supposed to be the best season yet. I heard from lots of MMA media types that the talent level was the sickest in years. Maybe it is, in spite of the shitty format how have the fights been?

« Reply #1129 on: May 14, 2015, 02:19:19 AM »
Who was saying the talent level was high? It's guys who haven't fought beyond the regional circuit and some Bellator/WSOF cast-offs. The best guy on the show is probably Buscape who happens to be in the middle of a career resurrection but is also old as fuck in mma years.

Edit: Forgot about Steve Carl, he's solid too.

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • wipeoff
« Reply #1130 on: May 14, 2015, 07:07:19 AM »
Corey Hill died:

JENNIFER SWIFT @Jennifer_SwifT  ยท  5m 5 minutes ago
#CoreyHill it was said he had no brain activity.  Was on life support untill this morning. #RIP

#CoreyHill Had been battling fungal pneumonia.  One lung removed. A week or 2 later lung collapsed.

RIP

This one comes out of left field, I haven't really even heard of someone dying from fungal pneumonia. Hadn't thought about this guy in a while.

« Reply #1131 on: May 14, 2015, 07:15:06 AM »
Read it online yesterday, didn't want to believe it. RIP Buddy Rowe.

Offline Youth N Asia

• STRONG STYLE!
« Reply #1132 on: May 14, 2015, 08:46:19 AM »
Terribly sad. He came off very likeable on TUF.

Online AA484

• CXF Writer
« Reply #1133 on: May 14, 2015, 10:19:18 AM »
Family claims that he is still alive.

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • wipeoff
« Reply #1134 on: May 14, 2015, 10:35:01 AM »

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • wipeoff
« Reply #1135 on: May 14, 2015, 10:35:15 AM »
for real though I hope they're right.

• Admin
« Reply #1136 on: May 14, 2015, 10:45:37 AM »
How would it feel to have a bunch of people telling you your family member is dead when they're not? I dunno how I would handle that.

« Reply #1137 on: May 15, 2015, 07:54:09 AM »
NSAC has revised their drug testing and holy shit there are some brutal penalties, the highlight of them is an 18 months suspension for a first-time offence for weed.

Expect to see absolutely zero UFC title fights in Nevada going forward. Kidding but not really.

Offline ViciousFish

• CXF Writer
« Reply #1138 on: May 15, 2015, 09:10:57 AM »
They're kinda screwed if they try to avoid Nevada. They (for the most part) got the kind of penalties Dana was calling for so they can't complain or they look weak in their war on steroids.

Online AA484

• CXF Writer
« Reply #1139 on: May 20, 2015, 03:10:40 AM »
Okay, so rather than doing productive things (like updating the fantasy MMA standings), I've been trying to keep a list of debatable decisions in the UFC for the calendar year.  I started at the Gustafsson vs. Johnson card (prompted by Davis/Bader)  and kept tabs through 186 (I've missed the last few cards).

Unlike the judges in the UFC, I am not afraid to award a draw (or draw rounds) if no clear winner is apparent, although I tried to avoid it if at all possible.  Below are the decisions I disagreed with, accompanied by my scores:

Norman Parke vs. Gleison Tibau (29-28, Park)
Donald Cerrone vs. Benson Henderson (30-27, Henderson)
Phil Davis vs. Ryan Bader (30-28, Davis)
Meisha Tate vs. Sarah McMann (29-28, McMann)
Tyron Woodley vs. Kelvin Gastelum (29-29, Draw)
Dan Kelly vs. Patrick Walsh (29-28, Walsh)
Santiago Ponzinibbio vs. Sean Strickland (29-28, Strickland)
Raquel Pennington vs. Holly Holm (29-29, Draw)
Liz Carmouche vs. Lauren Murphy (29-28, Murphy)
Jorge Masvidal vs. Al Iaquinta (30-27, Masvidal)
Jan Blachowitz vs. Jimi Manuwa (29-29, Draw)
Chad Leprise vs. Bryan Barberena (29-28, Barberena)
Patrick Cote vs. Joe Riggs (29-28, Riggs)
Kyle Noke vs. Jonavin Webb (29-28, Webb)
Nolan Ticman vs. Yao Zhikui (30-26, Ticman)
Phillipe Nover vs. Yui Chul Nam (29-28, Nam)
Uriah Hall vs. Rafael Natal (29-29, Draw)

Masvidal/Iaquinta was the only fight I had scored at 30-27 that returned a differing verdict from my own.  I guess you can call it the "robbery of the year" so far in UFC.  Edit: I went back and watched Cerrone/Henderson and had that 30-27 for Henderson, which ties it for "worst decision" of the year.  That is, until I watched a couple of unknowns in Nolan Ticman and Yao Zhikui face off.  I had that 30-26 with a 10-8 round for Ticman in the 3rd - he didn't do much but Yao did nothing besides scoring a single take down.  He was also outstruck 35-1 in the round which is good enough for a 10-8 for me since I have the advantage of stats and hindsight.  Even if it wasn't scored a 10-8, I still had Ticman as the winner but I guess the judges didn't like his defensive, backwards fighting throughout the first two rounds.

« Reply #1140 on: May 20, 2015, 03:44:06 AM »
Masdival/Iaquinta is robbery of the year in any org, period.

• KOAB
« Reply #1141 on: May 28, 2015, 07:41:47 AM »

Snake oil strength & conditioning coaches ruining GOATs is my new interest. This is almost as bad as the idiot trying to get Shogun to squat 380 pounds as quickly as possible after his knees were shot.

Offline Brodypedia

• BruiserBrody
  • CXF Writer
« Reply #1142 on: May 29, 2015, 04:33:17 AM »
Rumors floating that the Reebok deal was done to help make the UFC more presentable to sell off. The Fertitta's Casino corporation is also making moves to become publicly traded.

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • wipeoff
« Reply #1143 on: May 29, 2015, 10:48:52 PM »

cool poster

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • wipeoff
« Reply #1144 on: May 29, 2015, 10:54:16 PM »

this fuckin' company.

« Reply #1145 on: May 30, 2015, 03:50:10 AM »
Way to make people jump to conclusions that Conor pissed hot, UFC.

• KOAB
« Reply #1146 on: May 30, 2015, 10:39:58 AM »
lirl

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • wipeoff
« Reply #1147 on: May 30, 2015, 03:20:47 PM »
Aloe Vera is legit, Nik Lentz is extremely tough to submit and he dropped to the guillotine with so much confidence, kinda surprised but it worked. Love watching him fight, only 25 too.

Offline ViciousFish

• CXF Writer
« Reply #1148 on: May 30, 2015, 03:27:01 PM »
Strike of the night is still Jimmo getting kicked in the nuts.

Offline Youth N Asia

• STRONG STYLE!
« Reply #1149 on: May 30, 2015, 04:19:03 PM »
Strike of the night is still Jimmo getting kicked in the nuts.

Was the case until Condit crammed Alves' nose into the back of his head.