Author Topic: Cro Cop leaves the UFC...already  (Read 3559 times)

Description:

Online Firmino of the 909

• Admin
Cro Cop leaves the UFC...already
« on: June 13, 2009, 12:13:50 PM »
Not long after stopping Mostapha Al-Turk in the first round of UFC 99 on Saturday at Lanxess Arena in his first fight in the UFC since back-to-back losses in 2007, Filipovic informed UFC president Dana White that he had signed a three-fight contract with the Japan-based DREAM.

“Isn’t that a dirty [expletive] thing to do?” White asked rhetorically after being queried about Filipovic’s deal with DREAM. “He [expletived] me. The first time in the history of the company I do one over the phone. He promised me a three-fight deal and he [expletived] me.”

“He didn’t keep his word,” White said, who said he’d had a two-hour talk with Filipovic on the day Filipovic texted and asked to be able to return. “He talked about honor and all this other [expletive] and he [expletived] me.

“He fed me this bull [expletive] about wanting to take a run for the title, and what I think he did was, he went out and did this. He turned down every other [expletive] fighter I offered him, because I needed him to fight Cain. He didn’t just poke Al-Turk; he poked me, too.”

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news;_ylt=AtEUiNgDMBAtPZOWulWXwX09Eo14?slug=ki-ufcnotes061409&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

That blows.  I still hope Mirko's return is a success overseas, but that's pretty much it for ever seeing him back in the UFC I'd imagine.  Hopefully we get good fights out of it. Dana should have known better than to do a one-shot verbal deal.

That is, if it's true.  I don't think Yahoo would bullshit anyone.

koab [8:27 PM]
damn i thought you guys were good little cucks who would shit themselfs so a POC could peacefully protest

Offline Mik

• Lightswitch Rave!
    • Neville Longbottom
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2009, 12:16:14 PM »
Oops.
Show loose women what I'm workin' with.

Offline Youth N Asia

• 2016 & 2017 Death Pool Reaper
  • STRONG STYLE!
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2009, 01:42:11 PM »
Wow. That's a little surprising. You'd think maybe he'd want a final run on the sport's biggest stage. Maybe he just wanted his name to pop on a big show before making a better deal for himself elsewhere.

Offline Rendclaw

• Frankly my dear... eh, you know the rest.
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2009, 02:33:21 PM »
Its not like he lit up the UFC when he was there... and got hoist by his own petard by Gonzalez... he can fuck off for all I care.

And that should teach Dana to never do business that way. Negotiate, get them in face-to-face, and have them sign. If they don;t want to do it that way, then they can go elsewhere.

Offline starvenger

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2009, 03:48:31 PM »
I don't feel sorry for Dana since the UFC contracts are like NFL contracts, but without signing bonuses and high salaries.

Who I do feel sorry for are those fighters who were hoping to get one fight contracts in the future from the UFC, or hell, even a pay raise.
Starvenger

Offline Hawkius Maximus

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2009, 04:09:07 PM »
There's multiple avenues to this story. It's not like UFC's some innocent victim here. The only reason they agreed to Mirko Cro Cop's desires was because they needed Mirko Cro Cop. They had an open slot, and they needed a draw. No matter what you think of Rich Franklin and Wanderlai Silva, Mirko was a much bigger star on the show. Mirko did exactly what he needed to do to win against Al-Turk and nothing more. He didn't risk any injuries or fatigue. He didn't try to be impressive. He went out there and beat him.

Mirko's at the end of his career, and most likely doesn't have much left in him. Given how he barely threw any kicks whatsoever, it's likely his knees are so damaged that he can't do it effectively. There's no reason for him to stay in UFC for less money and risk ending his career on a down-note when DREAM will offer him significantly more where he's a much bigger star and will have a chance to go out on a high note. There's no one in DREAM that Mirko can't beat with the exception of someone like Alistair Overeem.

Plus, UFC has routinely fucked fighters over contract wise. Let's not forget them firing Jon Fitch over a video game just to prove a point. This time UFC got worked by a manager and a fighter. That's just the way it goes, UFC can't win everything all the time.

Offline Hawkius Maximus

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2009, 04:19:01 PM »
Also, the part of the quote where Dana talks about Mirko fighting Cain makes me want to point out the obvious.

What does Mirko Cro Cop possibly get from fighting Cain? Even now? Nothing. There's no possible reward for fighting Cain for him outside of some mythical UFC Heavyweight Rankings that I don't think UFC even has. Mirko as he is now would never beat Cain. It's a suicide fight for him.

Simply put, Dana White wanted to use Mirko Cro Cop's popularity to build up a new star. When Mirko's contract was done, he probably would have been discarded. Dana would be fine with that though, just business as long as he gets the best end result.

Offline Jaxxxson Mayhem

• If I told you cocaine numbers you would think I was lyin'
  • WWWYKI
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2009, 04:23:39 PM »
Fuck a cro cop.   He's nooooooothing now.   Acting like his ass is worth something.  ha. ha. ha.   Only reason he won tonight is cause he fucking stuck his finger through Al-Turk's eye.

Offline Hawkius Maximus

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2009, 04:27:53 PM »
You must have seen a different fight then I did. Poke or not, Al-Turk was going to be demolished after Mirko decided Turk had nothing to be afraid of standing.

Offline Lei Tong

• ...un pocho pendejo, at that!
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2009, 04:31:35 PM »
We don't often see eye-to-eye, but Hawk's nailed this one 100%.

Well, except maybe that he's somewhat unfuckwitable in DREAM.

Offline Hawkius Maximus

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2009, 04:37:01 PM »
Only reason I said that was because I couldn't really think of anyone at HW in DREAM beyond Overeem and Fujita. I guess Monson. Cro Cop could take Fujita. Monson would be a little bit more difficult though.

Heavyweight's really never been that big of a focus for DREAM, so I blanked.

Offline Lei Tong

• ...un pocho pendejo, at that!
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2009, 04:38:55 PM »
It's cool. Not trying to split hairs, but Monson is a dude I could very easily see beating the current Mirko Filipovic.

• Admin
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2009, 04:40:20 PM »
There's also potential with Mousasi and his trek up in weight. 

damn i thought you guys were good little cucks who would shit themselfs so a POC could peacefully protest

Offline Hawkius Maximus

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2009, 04:42:35 PM »
As much as I hate to admit it, you're probably right.

For a man with so many tattoos and a bald head, Monson is so bland that I forget his very existence most of the time.

This does kill the pipe dream of UFC working with Fedor on a one fight contract basis however. Not that I think they ever would have. Fedor doesn't have the name value Mirko does, so there's no real reason for it. This one fight deal wasn't made by UFC out of charity or kindness to Mirko. They needed him, and dealt with him on his terms. It'd be the same situation with Fedor, but there's no place that they'd desperately need Fedor to draw. And Fedor would probably leave in a heartbeat for DREAM if they were willing to pay him.

Offline Obi Chris Kenobi

• Citizen 128
  • Personal Text goes here, Venkman
    • legitshook
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2009, 04:47:08 PM »
Well isn't that a kick to the head...

Offline Youth N Asia

• STRONG STYLE!
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2009, 06:39:07 PM »
I'll say I don't feel too bad for the UFC in all of this. They cut fighters at will, so I don't mind someone sticking them now and then

Offline Gert

« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2009, 06:44:25 PM »
I'll say I don't feel too bad for the UFC in all of this. They cut fighters at will, so I don't mind someone sticking them now and then

Agreed 100%. It's not like he was leaving with a UFC Title.

Offline The Buzz

« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2009, 07:29:52 PM »
Well atleast Cro Cop didn't go the Ken Shamrock route of once great fighter who took everything thrown his way while getting smashed into unconsciousness before every payday.

Offline Loaded Glove

• With a hot tub shaped like Texas Stadium
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2009, 06:05:20 AM »
http://jutarnji.hr/sport/borilacki_sportovi/clanak/art-2009,6,14,,166592.jl

Translated from Sherdog:

Quote from: Cro Cop
I don't now why Dana fell for the hype and rumors before talking to me. I hoped we could talk to continue working together and the only problematic thing is hoe long I have to wait between the fights. I don't wan't to sit at home for months and wait for somebody to call me to fight.
I'm greatfull for opportinity in Collogne and despite Danas harsh words I'm ready to prolong my contract

Surprise surprise..Dana White looks like a fucking moron.

Offline Youth N Asia

• STRONG STYLE!
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2009, 06:25:57 AM »
Dude's up there in age. Might take him a fight or two to even be able to get a title shot.

War Mirko

Offline The Art of Rasslin'

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • wipeoff
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2009, 06:36:51 AM »
That not make sentence guy.

I can't believe a guy can be that big, and jump around like he does what a great athlete!

Offline Youth N Asia

• STRONG STYLE!
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2009, 06:42:44 AM »
yeah yeah, I had two thoughts going at once and they both spilled out half and half

Offline HTQ

« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2009, 11:01:28 AM »
He's back in. Kevin Iole is reporting Cro Cop has signed a three-fight extension with the UFC.

Offline Lord of The Curry

« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2009, 11:04:12 AM »
Welcome to a week ago.

Offline HTQ

« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2009, 11:07:18 AM »
You mean when it was just posted without anyone bothering to say where the information came from?

Offline DorianB

« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2009, 11:53:51 AM »
Wow man, amazing how much flack you get for telling a bit of true news. If you knew already, why is it that big of a deal?

Offline HTQ

« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2009, 12:08:19 PM »
Wow man, amazing how much flack you get for telling a bit of true news. If you knew already, why is it that big of a deal?
It wasn't known until yesterday when Dana White announced it. It was rumored a week ago that Cro Cop would be fighting in an upcoming UFC but the only source anyone bothered to cite was some unknown fighters blog, which isn't exactly a reliable source.

Offline DorianB

« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2009, 12:57:30 PM »
It wasn't known until yesterday when Dana White announced it. It was rumored a week ago that Cro Cop would be fighting in an upcoming UFC but the only source anyone bothered to cite was some unknown fighters blog, which isn't exactly a reliable source.

Yeah, I just saw it yesterday too. I was talking about how the other poster was trying to say you were posting old news, if it's recent and true, you don't deserve ridicule for posting it.

Offline Jaxxxson Mayhem

• If I told you cocaine numbers you would think I was lyin'
  • WWWYKI
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2009, 01:35:59 PM »
Interesting stuff.  I'm surprised Dana is letting him back in.

Offline Broward

• THUGBUTT CHEATERS
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2009, 05:24:00 AM »
Dana more than likely had little to no say in it. Much like Dana had to go and "whip the dog" with Brock, the Fertitas most likely did the same with Dana and now, CroCop's back in.

• Admin
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2009, 01:30:06 PM »
Interesting stuff.  I'm surprised Dana is letting him back in.
The above was a good answer.  If the Fertitta's want something I don't think Dana's say on the matter really means anything.

Offline Lord of The Curry

« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2009, 02:40:45 AM »
IIRC it was Lorenzo that ended up being the one to play peacemaker during the fiasco with Fitch and the video game.