Author Topic: Joker Spinoff Spectacular  (Read 1828 times)

Description:

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
Re: Joker Spinoff Spectacular
« Reply #50 on: October 04, 2019, 09:32:04 PM »
If the Gotham stuff is in the background, wouldn't that support the notion that this movie didn't need to be attached to the DC property in the first place, and that this movie would have been just as good (presuming I take your word for it) if it wasn't called "Joker"?

Pretty much. I liken it to something like Logan where there's hints of the Marvel/X-Men history there but it's not so overt; with the exception of one scene in this Joker film, you could easily have set this in a fictional city with a different 'rich' guy and it would've worked exactly the same.

Offline Mr. S£im Citrus

• Representing Blacks Without Soul since 1975
« Reply #51 on: October 05, 2019, 05:40:54 AM »
If the Gotham stuff is in the background, wouldn't that support the notion that this movie didn't need to be attached to the DC property in the first place, and that this movie would have been just as good (presuming I take your word for it) if it wasn't called "Joker"?

Pretty much. I liken it to something like Logan where there's hints of the Marvel/X-Men history there but it's not so overt; with the exception of one scene in this Joker film, you could easily have set this in a fictional city with a different 'rich' guy and it would've worked exactly the same.

Yeah, that's the source of my beef with this movie: I feel like Phillips could have made the movie he wanted to make, and just called it "Arthur" (Well, maybe not "Arthur," since that title's been taken), and had it have nothing to do with the DC character, and it probably would have been exactly the same movie. And I feel like the only reason why he called it Joker is because, if the same movie had just been about a random white man, he probably would have been excoriated, and he might not have found a studio willing to bankroll his vision.

I didn't like Logan for the similar reasons: like, I would have to say that, objectively, it was a good movie, but I didn't watch Logan because I wanted to watch a good movie, I watched it because I wanted to watch a good comic book movie. I felt that Logan largely failed to deliver on the "comic book" part.

Offline Furry AND Republican

• CXF Writer
  • Gary
« Reply #52 on: October 05, 2019, 06:22:38 AM »
It's a very well acted, directed, edited, shot and scored movie...that I ultimately found to be hollow. It feels like it wants to address issues such as mental illness, class inequality and violence in general, but it falls into the same problem "Batman V Superman"* did in that it's nowhere near as deep as it thinks it is. That and it's just so grim and depressing. For all the talk "The Dark Knight" got for how dark it was, it also had things like the subplot with Anthony Michael Hall and even some moments with the Joker that were funny. This movie wants so much to be taken seriously, but in the process forgets to be a good movie and feels embarrassed by the comic books the character originated from. Just because Todd Philips wants to let us all know he made a work of art doesn't mean he made a good one.

Spoiler: show
Finally, did we really need another scene where Bruce Wayne's parents are killed. At this point, we might as well make an "ABC's of Death" style anthology where they die in different ways and different scenarios.

*no I'm not saying BvS is the better movie or that this is just as bad.

yes i am a "HO"

Honorable

Offline RedJed

• Rasslin' Rambler
« Reply #53 on: October 07, 2019, 01:48:11 AM »
I'm with Gary on this......I enjoyed the performances and such, but something was densely and subversively hollow for sure here from start to finish. The social and political tones were there, but what point was made. The narrative was certainly unorthodox which gave it close to an arthouse feel. I did like the very grim and realistic approach towards mental health in general though and how that focus told the story a bit more clearer in a sense though. That was probably the strongest thing about this. Phoenix did great on the damn this guy is out to lunch thing, but will this film or his performance really get award noms? I somehow doubt it to be honest.

I guess my only real question that came out of this was that how will they follow up with this or is this just simply a one-off and they will go in the already established Suicide Squad Joker character down the road? 

Will they reveal who killed Wayne in this universe or was that just added here to be cutesy?

Offline The Art of Rasslin'

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • wipeoff

I can't believe a guy can be that big, and jump around like he does what a great athlete!

Offline Boomer Kamala

• CXF Writer
« Reply #55 on: October 08, 2019, 02:21:45 AM »
LOL

Offline New-New-New England Order

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
« Reply #56 on: October 08, 2019, 02:42:05 AM »
That does seem a tad excessive (not Rosa Parks excessive of course).  The whole uproar around this movie was, as usual, completely ridiculous and ended up meaning nothing.

Offline Boomer Kamala

• CXF Writer
« Reply #57 on: October 08, 2019, 03:49:02 AM »

Offline Aero

« Reply #58 on: October 13, 2019, 05:40:56 AM »
Saw this last night and mostly liked it. Phoenix was fantastic. Definitely a movie I wouldn't be in a rush to see a second time, however.

Kind of felt like the movie should have ended right after Arthur is broken out of the cop car, but maybe that wouldn't have been the best look to end it with him being celebrated, as opposed to locked up in an asylum... sort of.

Agreed with others that including the Waynes' murder seemed unnecessary. It felt tacked on, as if the studio forced them to hint at Batman.

Offline cobainwasmurdered

• Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #59 on: October 14, 2019, 04:19:32 PM »
really enjoyed this. and I don't agree with the complaints about
 wayne death scene. It was built up to the entire movie. It made sense. They were the main target of the cities range because of Thomas's comments.

Offline Sabre

« Reply #60 on: October 16, 2019, 05:04:03 PM »
really enjoyed this. and I don't agree with the complaints about
 wayne death scene. It was built up to the entire movie. It made sense. They were the main target of the cities range because of Thomas's comments.

So is joker approx 50 in modern day based on his age in this and how old batman will be when he puts on the cowl?

Offline cobainwasmurdered

• Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #61 on: October 16, 2019, 05:11:11 PM »
 I believe its supposed to be open-ended as to whether that is the actual joker or if he inspired the modern joker. thats what the wiki says as well.